Male HQ

[Hiv Support Group] Living A Life Being Hiv+ & Living With Someone Who Is Hiv+ (Compiled)

Guest Sin_Man

Guest Guest

It is unlikely this will happen as doctors will not wish to blindly subject someone to antiviral therapy without thoroughly confirming the existence of infection and fulfilling the criteria to start antivirals.

You are not getting the point. It's a hypothetical question. The issue is not the likeliness of it happening but the impact to your health if it happens.

You are not getting the point. It's a hypothetical question. The issue is not the likeliness of it happening but the impact to your health if it happens.

well this thread was about practical help. any medicine has side effects. so if there is no hiv for the antivirals to combat then the side effects will be more prominent -- anorexia, nausea, vomiting, liver inflammation. i don't think they will cause cd4 to rise; in fact sometimes they may cause myelosuppression and hence the body's red / white blood cells and platelets go down.

It is definitely dreading and devastating to find out the +ve status.

Nevertheless it not the end of the world. Moreover you are still young, overcome this and brave urself to the many good times ahead.

It not HIV or aids that kills, it the complications...hence do listen to the doctor's advice. Stay cheerful and healthy, The virus can stay dormant for many years until then who knows, there might be a cure or a solution to lessen the pain and complications.

Look at the posts, there are many who are concerned although might not know you. or else I cant say more abt the Jeremy's guy.

God Loves you and you are not condemned. For He is watching everyone of us.

1) Is it a must for the government to know I have HIV?

- I guess when you got call up for NS and during the medical check up they will test your blood so they will find out whether you are HIV + or _

2) In response to 1, if yes, can the government not tell my family?

- I believe so, they can don't tell your family if you wish to keep it private.

3) I can't serve NS anymore right?

- Most probably PES F (no need serve NS)

4) How much are the price for the HIV drugs? :(

- I have no idea but you can always apply for financial assistance from the govt welfare organisations if you can't afford the medication fees.

5) What should I do now?

- You should start looking for jobs to earn your own income and continue your life as it always been. Treasure the time now you have with your family. Try your best to let them know that you coping well with your illness and they need not worry much about you.

I understand that you are feeling really sad knowing that you are gay which parents and family usually cannot accept it and on top of that you are now a HIV +.

Whatever it is you must not think of committing suicide. If you do, your parents and people who lvoe you will be devastated for you not giving them a chance to look after and care for you and they probably will start blaming themselves for your death.

Try to stay as happy and enjoy your life now as much as you can. Let the people who love you know that even with HIV+ you still live a happy life till the day you leave this world.

6)Who do I talk to to get started on the medicine?

- To start on medicine I think you can just go to the hospital and take a queue number to see a doctor. When is your turn just show the doctor your HIV + test results and explain that you are here for any medications that can help resist its symptons or best is to cure it.

Edited by innocense

be strong okay ? we might not understand that the pain you are going through now, but i know the feelings is definitely sucks to the core, since some of the BW members suggested that you should call the hotline, i hope that you'll take their advice and have the courage to make the call, i am sure that they will help you, at this point of time u have no idea what to do am i right ? seek help from the counselor hao bu hao ? but again, i hope you have the courage to face all these, after all you're only 19, still kind of too young to go through all these, be prepared that you might face lots of consequence and stress .. whatever it is, seek help from the counselor, please.

i am not good with words but i just hope that you'll find a solution ASAP.

please take care okay ?

Heyy Afraid. I know how it feels like. I have a friend who contracted HIV and .. he was feeling really down at that point of time. We tried cheering him up, but .. to no avail. So, we encouraged him to talk to a counselor and he really felt better. Really good to know that his girlfriend accepts the way he is. (:

So, this thread also serves a lesson to us to have protected sex, eh ? (:

Guest Over it.

Dont worry, TS.

You are not alone. All these forumers contributing to your thread are carriers too. They are still alive and live happily after. They have gotten over it long ago. You should to.

Guest Jljh

Hey! Stay strong and prove to other people that you can live better even with a weakness. Maybe one day in the near future they will come up with a cure! I'm sure you feel miserable but feeling miserable won't change anything! Just have faith in humanity and live a better and more colorful life! You are strong and beautiful!

Guest justme

Hey, dont be so negative. You need to remain a healthy mindset to face this, ok? hugs. And do remember to take your medication on time, because it is very very important and it can really help to keep your viral load low low and going down.

For treatment In a Singapore clinic, the clinic is legally required to norm MOH. A western blot will be done to confirm your status. They will also measure your viral load and also cd4 cells to determine if you require treatment. Normally if your cd4 cell count is high, you do not need treatment now. if it is low e.g. 200 cells per uL, then you need to start taking medicine. If not, AIDS will set in.

The information is medical in confidence. Doctors and government cannot inform anyone, including your parents, without your consent.

At this point, a MOH officer will talk to you and you can choose to sigh a form to notify mindef. A medical board will be set up and you can choose to stay in service or not.

Drugs are about 500 bucks if you get directly from the pharmacy. From Buyer's club will be about 200 (import from overseas and these are generic drugs). Remember the price stated is for first one drugs. If you do not stick to your prescription, the virus will be resistant to your first line drug and you will be required to change to more expensive drugs. These drugs usually have more side effects.

Funds are usually not readily available for HIV patients. Insurance is out of the question as they exclude HIV treatment. This includes medishield. Medifund is possible but only for the lowest income group. There is a paddy chew fund from AFA. I think it is best to earn more income than to rely on such funds.

Generally the first few months after diagnosis will be quite hard for your pockets. There will be routine checkups like viral load and cd4 counts to determine if your cd4 counts are dropping. There might be need for additional treatments for AIDs if your immunity is weak. Medical test can cost about 100 each time. So, if you aren't working, you should start don't art tin unless your parents can pay for you. They do not have to know you are diagnosed with HIV. Maybe so other hard to treat infection like MRSA Myelits.

What you can do now is to educate yourself on HIV. Go to thebody.com. Keep yourself healthy and know that HIV is just like any other chronic illness e.g. Diabetes. Once you start medication, life will be about the same as a normal person. Also note that it is against the law to have sex with another party without telling him of your status. That's where contact tracing comes in and you can ask the MOH officer about it.

Cheer up and all the best. =]

• 1 month later...

tsktsk. play too much... have sex too much.... play somemore lah

Hey, what you say isn't helping at all. What if it were you who was infected? How would you feel? If you have nothing constructive to say, then don't.

Anyway, if you read, you would know that even if a person has many sex partners, we shouldn't judge the person as being someone who "plays around". There is enough research to show that sometimes people have sex because they have low self esteem, low acceptance of themselves etc, which makes them put themselves at risk, such as having many sex partners.

So, before we judge, the least we could do is to reach out and understand.

Thank you.

For those who slut around, please bear the consequences...and dont blame anybody for giving you AIDS.

Please do read up on the tons of research available online which explains why people take risks. It is not fair to claim broadly that they "slut around".

All of us have sex - and we know that sometimes, it's not because we simply want sex. There is research out there. Please read it, please understand why people have sex, and why they sometimes unwittingly put themselves at risk.

If we judge others, know that they have a right to judge us, and judge you back. So if you have nothing that can be judged, then go ahead and judge another person. But if you truly have nothing to be judged, you wouldn't judge someone else as well.

Hey, just a quick word of encouragement as well (since many people have already given their encouragement).

I also have a friend who has recently found out. He has decided to find ways to seek treatment and continue planning his life, to see how he can continue his life to his fullest. I also have close friends who are positive who are still taking their degrees, planning their lives - because life continues. :)

So, jiayou!

Guest Topguy

hi JY,

you can take, coconut oil ( organic) sold in supermarket, it proven to kill virus long run and selenium ( 200mcg) to boost ur imm system, u can google to read more.

hi JY,

you can take, coconut oil ( organic) sold in supermarket, it proven to kill virus long run and selenium ( 200mcg) to boost ur imm system, u can google to read more.

Hey, just to clarify, the consumption of coconut oil and selenium does not kill the HIV virus. Please see below some articles for clarity:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20961297

"In several randomized controlled trials, selenium supplementation has reduced hospitalizations and diarrheal morbidity, and improved CD4(+) cell counts, but the evidence remains mixed. Additional trials are recommended to study the effect of selenium supplementation on opportunistic infections, and other HIV disease-related comorbidities in the context of highly active antiretroviral therapy in both developing and developed countries."

"The two groups had similar selenium levels at the beginning of the study, but after nine months levels were higher in the group taking the capsules containing the mineral.

Those with higher selenium levels in their blood were more likely to have a lower HIV viral load, and higher numbers of CD4 cells, which play a key role in fighting off infection.

The researchers said the exact mechanism by which selenium exerts its effects on HIV is not known.

One hypothesis is that selenium's antioxidant properties may repair damage done to immune cells by oxygen, which is produced at higher levels in the bodies of patients with HIV.

Writing in the journal, the researchers said: "Given the challenges of using conventional pharmacotherapy to achieve and maintain virologic suppression in HIV-spectrum disease, our results support the use of selenium as a simple, inexpensive and safe adjunct therapy."

Roger Pebody, of the HIV charity Terrence Higgins Trust, said: "We have known for some time that selenium plays a role in the immune system, but previous studies before combination therapy didn't show that these supplements have an impact on HIV.

"This research is more encouraging and suggests that selenium supplements may be useful in addition to traditional combination therapy.

"However, we wouldn't advise that people with HIV should rush out and buy these supplements immediately.

"Decisions on the value of taking supplements should always be made in consultation with your doctor."

Yusef Azad, director of the National Aids Trust, described the research as valuable.

"However, in interpreting this new report, it must be remembered that antiretroviral therapy is the only currently effective treatment for HIV.

"Selenium may have a supportive role alongside antiretroviral therapy but it cannot be a treatment in itself."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/517144-the-relationship-between-selenium-zinc-hiv/

"

Patients with HIV or AIDS commonly experience malabsorption of many different nutrients. Selenium deficiency is a potential side effect of HIV-related malabsorption -- selenium deficiency with HIV increases the risk of the disease progressing faster. A 1997 study published in "International Human Retrovirology" assessed 125 HIV-positive patients and found that those with selenium deficiency had a higher death rate from the disease. Selenium supplements may be prescribed by your doctor as part of your overall care plan."

• 1 month later...

You reminded me of a nightmare I witnessed when I was only 22.

That year, I received a call from a closed friend of mine, but he said he wanted to die because someone he liked so much, gave him HIV then dumped him.

At first I thought he was merely kidding me, althought earlier a few months ago, he did mentioned his sorrow of being dumped by someone

Then I felt something was very wrong, and I rushed over to his place, but too late, only to witness my good friend, plunged himself 11 storeys out from his window.

He was only 23.

Now back to the present.

Should your results be positive, and you can't afford the HIV medication, quite a few local HIV positive guys I know, often frequent to Thailand, where the drugs can be purchased at a fraction of what's here, without prescription

It must have been a big shock to witness someone so close to you who decided to end his life, for whatever reason.

There is support out there for people who are in distress, or feeling suicidal, or have lost a loved one to suicide.

Check this out: SUICIDE

hope.jpg

Guest NeverGiveUp!

Hope that you have undergone some treatment to alleviate the symptoms. What you can do now is to just relax more and strengthen up your immune system by taking lots of fruits.

Lying about your sexuality is of no help for you and your family. You need to come clean with them about everything so that you can focus on combating the virus rather than grieving about your past.

Always be positive. Scientists are there to seek a solution for you. So am I.

Hope that helps. You might face difficulty to dream about future now, but being able to live everyday is definitely a blessing already.

Be happy. What has been done cannot be changed. What you can change is your future.

ALl the way! =)

Hey TS,

I have a friend who might be able to help you to arrive at a decision or course of action. He has helped someone late last year and wants to help you. Please sign up as a member so I can pass you his contact details. From a realistic point of view, life has to continue. Make the necessary decisions and I am sure you will recover from your despair sooner than you think. Hear from you soon!

• 2 months later...

Here is an earlier reply from Vin8tan. http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=18158&st=500#entry265920

Hi there, i am a staff with Action for AIDS. If you ever need help you can call our hotline at 6254 0212 or drop me an e-mail at avin.tan@afa.org.sg.

everything will be kept confidential and your identity will be protected.

What you can do now is, come down to our HIV anonymous clinic at 31 Kelantan lane to get a confirmatory test. No particulars are required here and no records are kept.

If you ever tested positive, our counselors will then proceed to help you explore the options to receive follow up here in Singapore or overseas.

The obvious benefits of receiving follow up here is that your doctor is based here, so you will get immediate, if not faster respond if ever the need arise.

The downside is, the ministry will have your record. However, your records remain confidential with the ministry.

Your employee, insurance agent or any other government agency will not have access to this information.

The CDC is also a very professionally run and safe place to receive follow up treatments.

If you decide to receive treatment at the CDC, we can also apply for subsidy (up to $200) to help cover the cost of the initial check up.

Medication is expensive but help is available. The other benefit of entering the system is that you will be able to apply for subsidies.

Medication will cost between $100-$180 per month for the initial stages of infection, and if the regimen is diligently followed through, this will last you for several years.

In just the short span of the last 10 years, medical treatment and technology have improved by leaps and bound.

There are studies that proves that when treatment is started as soon as possible, life expectancy will improve and prolonged for an average of 20-30 years. And who know what improvements to treatment technology over the next 10 years!!!

All these information are available here.

Anonymous Testing - http://www.afa.org.sg/anonymous.php

AfA HIV Medical Management Subsidy Scheme for First Visit to CDC - http://www.afa.org.sg/clinical.php

Support group and counselling for newly diagnose - http://www.afa.org.s...php#projecthope

Other subsidies and support for people living with HIV/AIDS - http://www.afa.org.sg/support.php

Hope and help is certainly available. Feel free to drop us a call or e-mail and we will try our best to help.

Guest 30th month HIV+

Hi Guest22, I am sorry to hear about your HIV status. As a HIV+ positive myself and i can fully understand how you are feeling now. Almost 2.5yrs ago i went through exactly what you are going through now.

Fear and lost of hope in future, crying, worrying about the medical fee, final question in mind would be how long can i live on? Now listen up, you wont die and you never will unless you yourself give up hope...!

Just to encourage you to pick yourself up and never let yourself falling into depression and leading to commiting suicide. Trust me, this is just another path in life that you are going to take and thats all. I tell myself, so long as i never give up on myself... i will survive it since its not as bad as cancer. Maybe you would suffer loneliness because you "might" not be able to find a lifetime partner but it's confirmed not end of the world.

I still remember i have tried to encourage "Walking Dead" almost 1.5yrs ago whom was diagnosed with HIV+ but look at him now... he is so much happier and carry on encouraging others... I believe by now, his viral load should be under control and non-detectable.

Just live your life as per normal. Eat and sleep well and you will be fine yah? Its hard to overcome it but look here... There are many brothers and sisters here willing to listen to you if you are strong enough to face it. At least for me, i have been in this forum anonymously reading others posting and if i can help i will help. Try calling the Counselling hotline and get advise on the medical treatment if you seriously need it... Jiayou! Gambatte!

From 30th month HIV+

Hi, i just tested hiv... :( How am i gonna survive? anyone to guide me along to this never ending path?

Bummer, I feel for u...

I have a fren who is +ve too. That was two years back and he's keeping mum ever since, which is even harder. I've been trying to help with watever I can, so I know it can be quite tuff.

How did u get it from, if u don't mind sharing and for purposes of general education of others?

Guest Guest22

I think i caught it through oral sex. I have done protected sex. Guys anyway to contact u? I am really lost... :( i breakdown today. I have no syptoms and i volunteery get tested. I actually sense that smth might be wrong with me... Base on my intution.

Dear Guest22,

What had happened had and right now, your utmost importance is to stay healthy and think positively and take things in stride.

Please see my earlier post and contact AFA as soon as you can. I am sure they have professional counselors there that can help you with whatever questions that you might have or problems that you may face.

Cheers!

"It may sound like another dream of mine, but maybe our world would be much better if everyone was accepted regardless of our sexual orientation or HIV-status. I’d like to see the stigma against HIV-positive people removed. It’s really not wrong to be gay or HIV-positive." Lester is 21 years old, & was infected with HIV when he was 18.

You can read more of his story, & others, in "I Will Survive: Personal gay, lesbian, bisexual & transgender stories in Singapore.

借用台湾圣严法师的话:要面对它,接受它,处理它,放下它。

面对它:就是告诉自己,任何事情的发生,都有它一定的原因。当问题发生时逃避并不能阻止它不出现。面对是幸福的第一步。

接受它:很多人在问题发生后,都很难接受,但是人生本来就是一连串的起伏波折,得失是很平常的事,我们不可能永远处在顺境之中,所以遇到不顺心的事情的时后,也要勇敢接受,接受是一种智慧。

处理它:对于任何不好的情况,如果能够改善它,当即予以改善;若不能改善,也不必失望,继续努力,下次还有成功的机会。很多不是立竿见影的事情,很多时候我们要学会等待。

放下它:过去的事情就让他过去吧,若耿耿于怀那就是自己跟自己过不去。

Hi Guest22, I am sorry to hear about your HIV status. As a HIV+ positive myself and i can fully understand how you are feeling now. Almost 2.5yrs ago i went through exactly what you are going through now.

Fear and lost of hope in future, crying, worrying about the medical fee, final question in mind would be how long can i live on? Now listen up, you wont die and you never will unless you yourself give up hope...!

Just to encourage you to pick yourself up and never let yourself falling into depression and leading to commiting suicide. Trust me, this is just another path in life that you are going to take and thats all. I tell myself, so long as i never give up on myself... i will survive it since its not as bad as cancer. Maybe you would suffer loneliness because you "might" not be able to find a lifetime partner but it's confirmed not end of the world.

I still remember i have tried to encourage "Walking Dead" almost 1.5yrs ago whom was diagnosed with HIV+ but look at him now... he is so much happier and carry on encouraging others... I believe by now, his viral load should be under control and non-detectable.

Just live your life as per normal. Eat and sleep well and you will be fine yah? Its hard to overcome it but look here... There are many brothers and sisters here willing to listen to you if you are strong enough to face it. At least for me, i have been in this forum anonymously reading others posting and if i can help i will help. Try calling the Counselling hotline and get advise on the medical treatment if you seriously need it... Jiayou! Gambatte!

From 30th month HIV+

Hi 30 Mth and Guest22 :)

Like what 30 Mth mentioned, it was a very despondent time for me when I got diagnosed. However, I've since accepted my condition, and with acceptance, the sense of hopelessness is not as pervasive, though for sure there will be still ups and downs sometimes. Personally, after about 6 mths of medication, my Viral load was already down to 20 counts. I think now, with many alternatives for treatment and sources of medication, there should be many alternatives for you to explore, so you should not be unduely worried.

If you should have any need for information, you can always post in the forums, where people like 30 Mths and other guests can advise you, or you can drop me a PM, and I'm sure you can al least get pointed in the general direction of the possible alternatives for you to further explore, like where to seek treatment and where to get cheaper medication etc. Empowerment through knowledge is winning at least part of the long battle that we will have to embark on :D

I must admit here that I don't have all the answers, but I will be more than willing to share with you what I know :) Take care and stay strong ! Quoting my doctor again, "KEEP YOUR SPIRITS UP OK !!" GAMBATTE !

Hi 30 Mth and Guest22 :)

Like what 30 Mth mentioned, it was a very despondent time for me when I got diagnosed. However, I've since accepted my condition, and with acceptance, the sense of hopelessness is not as pervasive, though for sure there will be still ups and downs sometimes. Personally, after about 6 mths of medication, my Viral load was already down to 20 counts. I think now, with many alternatives for treatment and sources of medication, there should be many alternatives for you to explore, so you should not be unduely worried.

If you should have any need for information, you can always post in the forums, where people like 30 Mths and other guests can advise you, or you can drop me a PM, and I'm sure you can al least get pointed in the general direction of the possible alternatives for you to further explore, like where to seek treatment and where to get cheaper medication etc. Empowerment through knowledge is winning at least part of the long battle that we will have to embark on :D

I must admit here that I don't have all the answers, but I will be more than willing to share with you what I know :) Take care and stay strong ! Quoting my doctor again, "KEEP YOUR SPIRITS UP OK !!" GAMBATTE !

Thanks for the post. I am sure, there should be others whom are lost that needs good support and words of encouragement. It would be nice to form a support group where the experienced can guide those whom are at a lost.

Edited by GachiMuchi

• 3 months later...

I read a lots of issued regarding HIV..

If some1 give me more details regarding some company hired + like me...

I do the test 3 days back n i do the test again for bloodtest but the result havent come yet... To make me advance i need to know n prepare myself.. I know my fault... But its happen already.... I just want to know n some of ur info... Thanks in advance.... Be safe god bless us....

Go to the AFA here in Singapore, they have trained people to help you and counsel you on what to do next and how to prepare yourself. There is no shame in this and you should quickly go seek for help and advices.

They can also do a re-test for you as well.

Things to read www.aidsmap.com and www.thebody.com

Read but please go see professionals first.

• Guest locked this topic