Male HQ

Cold Sore & Herpes (Compiled)

Panda_9791

I have always wanted to ask about this topic... since i have cold sore from time to time... So to all the Bros here, when you or your partner has cold sore, do u still kiss or blow them? I know kissing will definitely transmit cold sore. But i'm concern that if i see my partner having a cold sore, will he blowing me give me herpes? Since cold sore is herpes type 1...

Koh Samui, I need u...

Bad news first. Herpes such as cold sore stay with you for life. Its chance of recurring and rearing its ugly head depend on one's immune system. Some may not show up again for life.

If someone shows sign of infection, please refrain from any sexual or close contact with him. The chance of re-infection is very high. Do correct me if I am wrong. Remember always play safe. :D Lovemaking can wait.

Oh no... this is so dangerous... that means if partner got cold sore, cannot give blowjobs also! :unsure:

ED, yup, u got it once, u get it your whole life... i'm a victim... whenever my body feel stressed from work or lack of sleep, then i know the cold sores is coming...

Koh Samui, I need u...

OB sorry when I open the web it said not visable -cannot tell if the person has got the virus.But according to the posts sone of the posters seem to know so I ask how to identify the person got cold sore or herpes.Pls be patient with me.TQ

Guest GoneWithTheWind
oh herpes ok ok, guess i didn't mention this. There are 2 types of Herpes, type 1 and type 2. One is above waist and the other is below waist. Cold Sore is the above waist type of herpes...

Your definition of Herpes Type 1 or 2 are wrong.

Cold sores refer to sites at the mouth area. They can be Tpe 1 or 2.

Genital herpes are those at the genital areas. They can als obe Type 2 or 2.

Some people may show no sypmptoms and one way of testing is to do a herpes blood test which is available at DSC clinic.

Guest GoneWithTheWind

Your definition of Herpes Type 1 or 2 are wrong.

Cold sores refer to sites at the mouth area. They can be Type 1 or 2.

Genital herpes are those at the genital areas. They can also be Type 1 or 2.

Some people may show no sypmptoms and one way of testing is to do a herpes blood test which is available at DSC clinic.

(sorry retyped for accuracy)

you see guest, it is not about the patience, rather you are enquiring about a medical subject which i felt it is best to leave it to the professional.

Not to mention, some might get the wrong info and mistaken the sypmptoms for other dieases and unknowingly spreaded.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Hi Guest, no worries. Cold sores are easy to recognize. It usually occurs on the lips and around the mouth area. From far, it may seem like a bad acne/pimple, but on closer look, it looks like a mini cluster of air bubbles/pimples.

So cold sores are very different looking from ulcers? I often have ulcers and so does my brother. I did some research online and some say it can be heriditary and medical not sure what cause it.

But one of my friend who used to work for many years in DSC in singapore say it is a cold sore, although i think he didnt even see my ulcer. I was quite upset. but till now i still not sure is a cold sore around the mouth the same thing as an ulcer.

My ulcer is usually like a white circle. It does not look like acne/pimple to me. I also get it when i bite myself. Although sometimes it just appear when i am heaty. I avoid kissing and oral sex when i have it. But i do sometimes kiss the body like on the chest.

my geek gay blog at www.formanz.com

Guest GoneWithTheWind

I see so many comments arguing whether those ulcers are herpes or not. Just go to DSC to do

- blood test

- culture test if the ulcer just appear or even better if the blisters havent break as culture test is still the gold standard before blood test appears

Just bought and tried a core sore patch that helps to treat cold sores and hides the blisters from general view. Got it from a pharmacy in UK for about 7 pounds (about S$21), the brand is Compeed (by Johnson & Johnson), 15 patches, so one patch is about S$1.40, not cheap lor. Not sure if it's available in Singapore.

Regarding cold sores, one should refrain from oral, rimming and even kissing during this period. (Apparently it spreads only in these areas, cos its where the skin is the thinnest). Yea, if taken care of properly u shouldn't be able to transmit that to your partner.

Speaking from personal experience, i've been with my ex for 3.5 years and whenever he has a cold sore relapse, we'll abstain from any sexual activity until the sores are gone. He used to take this antibiotic or is it a steriod (can't recall the name) he'll pre-empt it before the cold sore goes into full outbreak, and it'll clear up in 3 days. Perhaps u should go to DSC to find out. All the best!

Guest GoneWithTheWind
Regarding cold sores, one should refrain from oral, rimming and even kissing during this period. (Apparently it spreads only in these areas, cos its where the skin is the thinnest). Yea, if taken care of properly u shouldn't be able to transmit that to your partner.

Speaking from personal experience, i've been with my ex for 3.5 years and whenever he has a cold sore relapse, we'll abstain from any sexual activity until the sores are gone. He used to take this antibiotic or is it a steriod (can't recall the name) he'll pre-empt it before the cold sore goes into full outbreak, and it'll clear up in 3 days. Perhaps u should go to DSC to find out. All the best!

It is not antibiotics but antiviral drugs known as acyclovir. It is usually taken for those with early symptoms of blisters/ulcers and also prescribed for those with frequent recurrences of herpes attacks.

Guest GoneWithTheWind
maybe expire liao? then does not work anymore.....

I heard from a herpes expert (Dr) that cream is not so effective, compared with oral medications.

Why worry so much? In gay saunas darkness you cant see anything but got screwed, being bj and kissed. Even in broad daylight, when you visit your new boyfriend home or go motel with him, how to reject him when he stripped and you found growth down under? You are already committed once in closed door with him. You just got to let him finish his job or you finish your job. Then regret lor

Guest HSV carrier

herpes can be transmitted whether symptoms are showing or not.

of course chances are much higher when the other party has an outbreak.

you could have the virus without ever developing any symptom or suffering from any outbreak.

as such, you could pass the virus to your partner without even knowing it

there is no way for the doctor to ascertain where, when and from whom you get herpes

and if you do get it, do not accuse anyone of passing it to you, as you could have got it from anyone, at anytime in the past

herpes can be a major inconvenience but it is no big deal. more people have it than they realize.

herpes can be transmitted whether symptoms are showing or not.

of course chances are much higher when the other party has an outbreak.

you could have the virus without ever developing any symptom or suffering from any outbreak.

as such, you could pass the virus to your partner without even knowing it

there is no way for the doctor to ascertain where, when and from whom you get herpes

and if you do get it, do not accuse anyone of passing it to you, as you could have got it from anyone, at anytime in the past

herpes can be a major inconvenience but it is no big deal. more people have it than they realize.

You have summaried an almost perfect reply :thumb:

z

Yup, Herpes (Cold Sore) it no big deal, small inconvenience to live with in this life if u have it. Like for me, since i know i have the virus, i try not to stress my body, so result is this yr i only kenna outbreak once and this was only the 3rd time i got a cold sore outbreak since the 1st time about 5-6 years ago...

So let's chill it Everyone :thumb:

Koh Samui, I need u...

I don't like haveing sex with someone you do not know and can't even see clearly.

Cannot be avoided ...right? If you hang around saunas waiting for a lust man to take you to cubicle. Of course you will be chirpy to follow him. You cannot ask him whether he gor diseases/virus/hepb/hiv/wart/herpes/sore, etc,etc. Correct or not. Dont tell me you on the light and investigate the body like doctor?

only look for someone you know..... never take the risk... :ph34r:

The someone you know wont tell you his secret or personal health problem...right?

How many gay really tell their bedmate everything?

• 4 years later...
Guest SoFunny

Hahaha.. over meal? You mean he eat the food and pass his food using his mouth to your mouth? or both of you share the same table or using the same spoon or fork?

Guest curious

i mean when there is no serving spoon....and both uses their own spoon to drink the common soup.....etc......will the virus be spread this way?

Guest GIRL

Why not do everything with a condom if that guy not your bf or husband? and save the trouble of worrying over such things and lifelong health safety..

Regarding food, in poly i knew of this female who has cold sores on her mouth, i try not touch food she touches.. there again.. there are other health hazards like cough and flu which can be spread by sharing utensils

Guest rechalle

So cold sores are very different looking from ulcers? I often have ulcers and so does my brother. I did some research online and some say it can be heriditary and medical not sure what cause it.

But one of my friend who used to work for many years in DSC in singapore say it is a cold sore, although i think he didnt even see my ulcer. I was quite upset. but till now i still not sure is a cold sore around the mouth the same thing as an ulcer.

My ulcer is usually like a white circle. It does not look like acne/pimple to me. I also get it when i bite myself. Although sometimes it just appear when i am heaty. I avoid kissing and oral sex when i have it. But i do sometimes kiss the body like on the chest.

From what you describe it is what we locals called mouth ulcer or "sae cher " in hokkien.

Ang Moh medicine call it canker sores , google and you will find pics, description and what creams you can apply.

Most people do not know how to recognise canker sores because they don't have a word for it.

My contribution for world peace.

• 8 months later...

Depends on where u have it... but in general herpes doesn't surface everyday, just now and then especially when you are stressed out and dont sleep well.

for oral herpes, just make sure you dont kiss or share food and utensils with anyone when the outbreak is on or when you can feel it coming.

for the genitial ones, just make sure you practice safe sex.

I have had fun before and so far, all my HIV tests are all negative. However I have had pubic lice once, and was really traumatised that I have been a host for these little creeps.

I googled for solutions, and havent' seen any after treatment. However, each time I itch on any part of my body, I have this fear that I didnt totally get rid of the eggs or lice.

Since then I had stop having fun totally because HIV is not the only threat. There are many others such as herpes that are not so easily detectable, or could be latent inside the body.

I do not want to infect the ones I love, be it bf or family members.

My question is, has anyone done a TOTAL STD test (which tests for every STD)? How much does it cost, how long does it take?

• Guest locked and unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.