Male HQ

The Key to Building More Muscle Might Be Longer Rests Between Sets

azimuth

When it comes to lifting weights, most people will tell you to rest one minute between sets if you’re aiming for muscle growth, and three minutes if you’re building strength. A recent study suggests, however, that three minute rests may be better all around.

This video from the PictureFit YouTube channel explains why longer rests could be better for everyone trying to build muscle mass and strength, using a study led by Brad J. Schoenfeld, Ph.D. The study, published in The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, had two groups of participants perform resistance training exercises three times a week for eight weeks total. The only difference between the two groups was one was told to rest between sets for one minute, while the other was told to rest for three minutes.

The researchers measured each group’s muscle growth, strength gains, and muscle endurance, and found that the group who took longer rests between sets improved the most overall. So why does resting more appear to be better than resting less? The researchers suggest that longer rests allow you to do more reps in each set, which means a higher total work volume and the development of better muscular training adaptation in the long run. Essentially, more rest means you can do more work, and more work means you get bigger and stronger.

Source: http://lifehacker.com/the-key-to-building-more-muscle-might-be-longer-rests-b-1765107279

According to the ACSM position stand with regards to rest intervals, it has been found that rest intervals does make an impact on the physiological, metabolic and hormonal demands that the body face. It has been found that longer rest periods might be more desirable. According to the level of evidence, it has been classified as B, due to limited body of data provided by strong scientific studies. It was noted that for training targeted at maximal strength development using heavier loads (lots of muscles involved, multi joint movements), a rest interval of 2-3 minutes should be given.

3 hours ago, xydboy said:

According to the ACSM position stand with regards to rest intervals, it has been found that rest intervals does make an impact on the physiological, metabolic and hormonal demands that the body face. It has been found that longer rest periods might be more desirable. According to the level of evidence, it has been classified as B, due to limited body of data provided by strong scientific studies. It was noted that for training targeted at maximal strength development using heavier loads (lots of muscles involved, multi joint movements), a rest interval of 2-3 minutes should be given.

1 hour ago, Arm Show said:

Found a good reason to be a bit lazy between sets. :lol:

How long do you guys rest between sets? I set my app timer to 1 minute though I sometimes drag it longer. Might set it to 1.5 mins from now on to see how it goes.

10 minutes ago, jo.sam said:

How long do you guys rest between sets? I set my app timer to 1 minute though I sometimes drag it longer. Might set it to 1.5 mins from now on to see how it goes.

Depending on my workouts. For my "hardcore" shoulder day, I would have it at 45 secs, cause i'm just pressing for time trying to complete my workouts before my class starts. On other times, it's usually around few minutes.

Roughly 1-2 minutes for me. Actually I don't set time. I just keep it up and try not to rest too long.

13 minutes ago, jo.sam said:

I CAN'T BE YOUR BOYFRIEND. BUT YOU CAN FUCK ME UNTIL YOU FIND ONE.

56b0623e2e1bf_CoverIMG_2101.jpg.8c8b5cae

10 hours ago, xydboy said:

Depending on my workouts. For my "hardcore" shoulder day, I would have it at 45 secs, cause i'm just pressing for time trying to complete my workouts before my class starts. On other times, it's usually around few minutes.

Yeap. A min or two for me as well.

One of my pet peeves in the gym is when someone uses a bench and suddendly went MIA for a looong time leaving his towel and things on the bench. Maybe we should have a thread about gym pet peeves lol

On 24/03/2016 at 9:37 PM, xydboy said:

why such odd number?

To keep my gymtime on schedule so that I will be able to do stuff after gym like buy my groceries on weekends and cooking my dinner/lunch on weekdays.

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

On 02/04/2016 at 11:40 AM, CamperBoy said:

Whatever works yeah.

At the end of the day, one should be able to see improvements in their physique development.

Good to take pictures every week and compare. :P

I agree. The pictures do serve as a form of self-motivation.

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.