Male HQ

No Buddhish Temples or Monastic Novices Programs Accept Gays

Guest guest

Guest guest

Many friends were thinking go taking up monkhood, to be away from the worldly desires. While checking around, we realised that in Singapore, no temples accept gay to be monks nor any monastic novices programs.

Buddha did not condem any orientation of gay, lesbian or transgender, but why all most temples here putting such a declaration ? In'st the universal door of mercy opens for all ?

It seems that China / Thailand, Myanmar and overseas are more receptive.

• G_M changed the title to No Buddhish Temples or Monastic Novices Programs Accept Gays

You and your friends have to kneel outside the temple with the head bow on the ground days and nights.  Better if it is raining.  

Aren't there 2 very known gay monks?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

1 hour ago, Kuchii said:

I think your frens were not accepted not because they were gay... but more because the temples feel that they may not have the correct attitudes  or not ready. 

辰缘未了, 缘分未到

Or perhaps they r the loud fashionista types?

Anyway how the abbot decide? Is there an interview?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

One of the most basic requirements is that one's heart should be at peace and his mind be clear.

Although we say we seek refuge in the buddha, the dharma & the Sangha, taking vows should never be taken as a sign of having given up or running away from something.

It is definitely not something out of desperate measures or convenience.

When taking vows irreverently, u mislead others, distract others and ultimately mislead and distract yourself

15 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

spoken to one monk before and according to him, in Buddhism context, gay are people who have committed adultery in their previous life, adultery is a sin, so ya maybe that's why they are not accepting :whistle:

Wow, So all of us here committed adultery in our previous lives. 

28 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

spoken to one monk before and according to him, in Buddhism context, gay are people who have committed adultery in their previous life, adultery is a sin, so ya maybe that's why they are not accepting :whistle:

That monk doesn't know Buddhism. Period.

43 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

From a sutra or from the air?

14 minutes ago, Guest ??? said:

That monk doesn't know Buddhism. Period.

I quite agree.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

While it is correct to say our past lives affect us in this current life, but do not forget how fortunate you are to come back again as Man.

You are meant to know what you know and be where you are.

Do not lose sight of the opportunity presented to you in your trials to exceed your limitations and break free of your karmic chains.

Guest Guest

LOL... This is just so stupid! Of course no temples or monastery will accept gays la! You are supposed to be 六根清净 when you want to become a monk. What are you trying to accomplish by declaring your sexuality at the gates? Wah piang eh.... :doh::doh::doh:

Guest Guest
3 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

LOL... This is just so stupid! Of course no temples or monastery will accept gays la! You are supposed to be 六根清净 when you want to become a monk. What are you trying to accomplish by declaring your sexuality at the gates? Wah piang eh.... :doh::doh::doh:

They scared to invite a 妖艳的青蛇into their temple and the 妖精proceed to seduce all the monks. Reminds one of the scene in 3D Sex & Zen when a monk was seduced and he cried after cumming.

Guest Tutor

Monks refrain from sexual acts. No masturbation at least. To avoid chances of triggering lust , they don't associate with woman. Woman are not allowed in monk's private rooms to avoid chances of having sex.

If a gay becomes a monk , he should avoid men not women. But Temples don't have facilities to arrange like that. So temple may not accept a gay as a monk.

actually is there a need to declare your sexual orientation when expressing interest in joining the order? Unless there is some kind of questionnaire that needs to be answered honestly and that includes sexual orientation? By right, Buddhism embraces everyone as it preaches compassion and equanimity. There shouldn't be an issue whether who you are. Even if a murderer seeks refuge in buddhist temple, he/she should be accepted by the spirit of Buddhism. 

Be cool, like a breeze...

Guest Lazy2login

The Vinaya rules do not allow "pandika" to become monks. What pandika means is subject to debate. It can have various meanings: eunuch, hermaphrodite, transvestite, transgender and so on, the general theme being not being the norm in terms of sexuality and/or gender.

One writer even conjectured that it specifically referes to the "screaming queen" archetype.

Probably these temples are adhering to this rule and decided to extend it to include all gays.

However I personally believe the temples are being too rigid in their rules for this case. If the novice is sincere, why not admit them in? 

Guest guest

Thai buddhism allows short term ordination. This is not so common in mahayanan buddhism. 

If it is short term monkhood, u are not expected to turn straight. It is only during the monkhood period that u cannot misbehave. After that, once disrobed, u can go back to normal. 

I don't think mahayanan buddhism tolerates short term monkhoods. U can check kong meng san if they have such programs. 

Huh?! My neighbour is a gay couple.every seventh month they will have mass prayer at the void deck.his bf will wear like those female god (m not sure which god) n there will b a long q waiting for his blessing.

Guest Tang Kee - God Of Mercy
39 minutes ago, cutejack said:

Huh?! My neighbour is a gay couple.every seventh month they will have mass prayer at the void deck.his bf will wear like those female god (m not sure which god) n there will b a long q waiting for his blessing.

where ? must come and support and witness

2 hours ago, cutejack said:

7th mth festive is not a Buddhists event.

Tang kee, donning the various deity costumes n possession by them, is not a practice of Buddhism. The latter does not promote supernatural power.

I believe your neighbor belongs to chinese folk religion.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Respect
2 hours ago, cutejack said:

The 7th lunar month is called "Hungry Ghosts Month" by the Taoists but is known as "Ullambana Festival" by the Buddhists.  To the buddhists, it is a festival of joy and remembrance of our ancestors.  To the taoists, it is Hell Gate opens and all ghosts will break loose and roam the human world like going for one month vacation.

I don't want to comment what is true or untrue as respect must be given to all religions and belief.  It's up to individual to find out.  

Guest Whatever
11 hours ago, Guest Lazy2login said:

The Vinaya rules do not allow "pandika" to become monks. What pandika means is subject to debate. It can have various meanings: eunuch, hermaphrodite, transvestite, transgender and so on, the general theme being not being the norm in terms of sexuality and/or gender.

One writer even conjectured that it specifically referes to the "screaming queen" archetype.

Probably these temples are adhering to this rule and decided to extend it to include all gays.

However I personally believe the temples are being too rigid in their rules for this case. If the novice is sincere, why not admit them in? 

If buddhism have all these rules and regulations, than it deprived people who genuinely want to be detached from the worldly affair. The rules run contrary to Buddhism belief of detachment, instead it is now seen as being attached  about who can or cannot become a monk.  Discrimination, should not be the rule because it often preached emptiness and not form.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, fab said:

7th mth festive is not a Buddhists event.

Tang kee, donning the various deity costumes n possession by them, is not a practice of Buddhism. The latter does not promote supernatural power.

I believe your neighbor belongs to chinese folk religion.

You wrong...7th Month 15 day is Ullambana 盂兰盆节

http://www.buddhist-tourism.com/buddhist-festivals/ullambana.html

Ullambana is a festival primarily celebrated by the Buddhist following the Mahayana tradition. However, a number of Therevada Buddhists (Laos, Cambodia and Thailand), too, celebrate this festival which lasts for around half a month - from first to fifteenth of the seventh month of the lunar calendar. This coincides with the month of August in the Gregorian calendar.

The Story of the Festival Goes...
The story of the festival dates back to the time of the Buddha. Maudgalyayana, a disciple of the Buddha, meditated and much to his misery, found that his mother was suffering a great in hell. He sought the Buddha's advice in this matter since he wanted his mother to get rid of all the sufferings. The Buddha advised him to offer food to the dead. This proved fruitful as Maudgalyayana succeeded not only in relieving his mother but also a number of other souls. On successful completion of his work, Maudgalyayana was elated and danced with joy.

To commemorate the incident, the festival of the Ullambana or Ancestors day is celebrated. It is time to honour one's ancestors and also relieve the suffering of souls.

Ullambana Festivals

The name Ullambana is a Sanskrit term and itself means "hanging upside down and suffering."

The Festival Itself
The first day of the festival is considered the one when the Gates of Hell open and the ghosts are permitted to visit the earth for the next fifteen days. The fifteenth day is the Ancestors Day and has the families visiting cemetries to pay respect to their ancestors. People also make food offerings to the wandering spirit during this festival.

Ullambana in Japan
The Japanese transliteration of Ullambana is Urabon-e and a shorter version of this is Obon. The festival is been celebrated in the country for more than 500 years, though, the date for the celebration varies from region to region. In the eastern region, the festival is celebrated in July while in the western region, it is celebrated in August. What is also distinct about Obon is that it is celebrated for a period of three days, notwithstanding the time of celebration. The first day is to welcome the festival (Welcoming Obon) and the last day is to bid adieu to the it("Farewell Obon.").

Obon has gained so much popularity in Japan that it is now not only a time to honour ancestors and relieve the tormented souls, but also a holiday meant for family gathering. People from all over Japan put aside their work and visit their hometown to celebrate the festival with their families. They visit graves of their elders and clean them. Food offerings are made to the wandering spirits in temples as well as homes. Paper lanterns are made and are used to decorate houses. They are also placed in the cemetries so as to enable the wandering spirits to return to grave at the end of the festival. In some regions of Japan, lanterns with candles are afloat down the river and sea water to illuminate the path of spirits. This ceremony which marks the cocnclusion of the festival is called Toro-nagashi.

Obon dances are an integral part of the festival.

Ullambana, commonly known as “Seventh Lunar Month” or “Hungry Ghost Festival”, is a celebration of Filial Piety.

This year, it falls on 28 August. Show gratitude to our parents and ancestors by remembering and paying respects to them.

On the 15 of the seventh lunar month each year, Buddhists participate  in the Ullambana Festival to make offerings to the Sangha of the ten directions.

This is done to liberate beings of the three lower realms from suffering, so as to repay the deep kindness of parents.

佛教的盂兰盆节,俗称中元节,其实是孝亲节。今年8月28日是我们庆祝盂兰盆节的日子。这一天,感恩我们的祖先、父母对我们的无私奉献,思念他们的慈悲与关爱。农历七月十五日这天,佛教徒举行「盂兰盆法会」供养十方僧众,济度三恶道苦难,以及报谢父母长养慈爱之恩。

Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva prayer Ceremony 地藏追思报恩法会

On the 1st to 9th of  the Seventh Lunar month, our monastery would conduct a nine day “Ksitigarbha’s Rememberance and Repaying of Kindness Puja”. Venerable Sirs would lead in the recitation of “The Sutra of Bodhisattva Ksitigarbha’s Fundamental Vows” and dedicate it to world peace, well-being of citizens, deliverance of the deceased, and the auspiciousness of those living. 于农历七月初一至九,本寺将启建九天《地藏追思报恩法会》,届时将由法师带领大众念诵《地藏菩萨本愿功德经》,以祈世界和平,人民安乐,先亡得度,现眷吉祥。

Ullambana Puja 盂兰盆超度法会

On the 15th of the Seventh Lunar month, our monastery traditional ” Ullambana Puja” Sutra Recitation invites devotees to make offering to the deceased on this auspiciousness occasion.
于农历七月十五日 ,本寺将启建《盂兰盆超度法会》,由法师念诵经文,欢迎信徒为先亡得度,现眷吉祥。

I was referring to those mth long void deck celebration with getai n burning of incense paper n those bidding activities in sg.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Read only

Be very careful, whatever you google on the internet in regard to religion practices may not be accurate, not 100 percent. 

Guest guest

The Ullambana Sutra (traditional Chinese: 佛說報恩奉盆經; ; pinyin: Fúshuō Bào'ēn Fèngpén jīng) is a Mahayana sutra which consists in a brief discourse given by the Gautama Buddha principally to the monk Maudgalyayana (Japanese Mokuren) on the practice of filial piety.

In the Ullambana Sutra, the Buddha instructs his disciple Maudgalyayana on how to obtain liberation for his mother, who had been reborn into a lower realm, by making food offerings to the sangha on the fifteenth day of the seventh month. This practice is the basis of the East Asian Ghost festival, including the Bon Festival, in honor of one's ancestors.

Buddhist tradition held that the sutra was translated from the Sanskrit by Dharmarakṣa. "Recent scholarship however, acknowledges that this sutra was not originally composed in India but in China in the mid-sixth century."[1]

Guest guewst

Buddhist Ghost Festival: Ullambana

The Ghost Festival has roots in the Buddhist festival, Ullambana and also some from the Taoist culture. The Buddhist origins of the festival can be traced back to a story from India. In the Ullambana Sutta, there is an account of a well-to-do merchant, Mahāmoggallāna, who gave up his trade to become a Buddhist monk. After he became an arahant, he wondered what became of his parents. He travelled the Buddhist universe, and found his father in heaven. However, his mother was reborn in the Realm of Hungry Ghosts. Despite her inheritance, his mother was not generous. She did not offer daana to Buddhist monks and did not show any kindness. When she died, she was reborn in the realm of hungry ghosts. Mahāmoggallāna eventually saves her from this plight by battling various demons and entreating the help of the Buddha. The story ends with this festival and the rescue of his mother from hell. She ended up being reborn as a dog in a well-off household. It marks the first day of the Ghost Festival

Guest Ullam

Ullambana
According to the Buddha Speaks the Ullambana Sutra, the Sanskrit word उल्लम्बन is combined from “ullam” meaning “hang upside-down” and “bana” meaning a basin of rescue. Together, Ullambana means a tool to rescue the suffering of being hung upside-down. It can be interpreted as rescuing the living beings suffering in hell by offering the Buddha and Sangha delicacies and fruits placed in a basin.

As early as during Buddha’s time, there were Ullambana events. According to the Sutra of the Great Bowl Pure Land, in order to eradicate the bad karma of their parents of seven lives, India’s King Bimbisara, Elder Sudatta and Lady Mallika and others followed the Ullambana Sutra and had five hundred golden banas made to offer to the Buddha and Sangha.

Ullam is a Sanskrit term translated to “to rescue from being hung upside-down.” The sufferings in the three evil realms are beyond description in words, so people just use being hung upside-down as an analogy. The basin refers to all kinds of clean containers used to hold food. During Ullambana, offering the Sangha from the ten directions a variety of pure delicacies in various kinds of containers can save one’s parents of past lives from great suffering like being hung upside-down. Being hung upside-down is the rescued, basin is the rescuing. The combination is Ullambana, meaning rescuing from being hung upside-down.”

As recorded in the Buddha Speaks the Ullambana Sutra, the Buddha’s great disciple Maudgalyayana after gaining spiritual powers wanted to save his parents from their bad karma so as to repay their kindness. He searched with his heavenly eye power and found his mother fallen into the realm of hungry ghosts, starved to skin and bone, unable to take any food or drink. Maudgalyayana immediately filled a basin with rice and send it to his mother using his powers. To his surprise, as an effect of her evil karma, the food turned into ashes even before reaching her mouth. Venerable Maudgalyayana asked Buddha for a way to save his mother from such suffering.

Buddha told Maudgalyayana that due to his mother’s heavy karma Maudgalyayana alone was not enough to save her. On the 15th of July on the lunar calendar when all the monastics finished their summer retreat, he must offer to Sangha of the ten directions with a hundred kinds of delicacies. With the strengths of all the Sangha and the merit and virtue from such offering, he could then save his parents of the current life and seven lives past, and relatives from the suffering of the three evil paths.

Venerable Maudgalyayana followed Buddha’s instructions and was successful rescuing his mother from suffering as a hungry ghost. He then asked Buddha if Buddha’s disciples of the future wishing to practice filial piety could follow the Ullambana offering to help their parents of current and up to seven lifetimes past. Buddha answered, “Those who wish to practice compassionate filial conduct for the sake of the parents who bore them, as well as for the sake of fathers and mothers of seven lives past, on the fifteenth day of the seventh month, the Day of the Buddhas’ Delight, the Day of the Sangha’s Pravarana, they should vow to cause the length of life of the present father and mother to reach a hundred years without illness, without sufferings, afflictions, or worries, and also vow to cause seven generations of fathers and mothers to leave the sufferings of the hungry ghosts, to be born among men and gods, and to have blessings and bliss without limit.”

Historical records show that Emperor Liang of Wu was the first to hold the Ullambana Assembly according to the Buddha Speaks the Ullambana Sutra. By the virtue of the emperor’s full support, people across all walks of life followed suit. By the Tang Dynasty, Ullamana was not only highly valued in the community, and the scale of the assemblies became greater than ever.

Guest Nothingness
13 hours ago, Tutor said:

Monks refrain from sexual acts. No masturbation at least. To avoid chances of triggering lust , they don't associate with woman. Woman are not allowed in monk's private rooms to avoid chances of having sex.

If a gay becomes a monk , he should avoid men not women. But Temples don't have facilities to arrange like that. So temple may not accept a gay as a monk.

Haha!... Exactly! Try a nunnery!

Guest Tutor
8 hours ago, Guest Nothingness said:

Haha!... Exactly! Try a nunnery!

A Gay monk is not suitable for a nunnery neither.

Think about what happens if a Gay monk go & stay in a nunnery.

Other nuns don't make sexual feelings in Gay Monk's mind. But Nuns can get sexual feelings seeing this gay monk in their place. 

If gay monk stays in a male monastery, other monks don't get lustfull thoughts because of gay monk. But gay monk get sexual thoughts because of other monks. 

A Gay monk doesn't have a matching place in monastic community. Only way is he can live with only one lesbian nun , or live away from community. 

Best place for a gay monk is to live alone , meditate alone & get enlightened. As he doesn't get attracted to females and males who he may like don't get attracted to him , very little chance that sex will disturb his meditation.

Guest tu tuk
21 hours ago, Guest Lazy2login said:

Ku semangat, Imagine the monastery will be turned upside down if they allow ladyboys to be ordained to be monks, imagine shorn ladyboy monks with smoky eyed makeup , asking for alms with swollen melon breasts and walking in a row in stilletoes early in the morning with makeup more suitable for nightime Tiffany cabaret shenanigans.

Who will not be having nose bleeds especially the old old masters who have been preserving their purity all these years only to be confronted and bombarded on a daily basis by screaming, canoodling nubile firm fleshed ladyboys who looked like Dun Huang cave drawings buddhist angels come alive ??

What monastery can keep the decorum and propriety after being invaded by traNS AND WHAT NOT, ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE ?

Guest Nothingness
15 hours ago, Tutor said:

Other nuns don't make sexual feelings in Gay Monk's mind. But Nuns can get sexual feelings seeing this gay monk in their place. 

If gay monk stays in a male monastery, other monks don't get lustfull thoughts because of gay monk. But gay monk get sexual thoughts because of other monks. 

A Gay monk doesn't have a matching place in monastic community. Only way is he can live with only one lesbian nun , or live away from community. 

Best place for a gay monk is to live alone , meditate alone & get enlightened. As he doesn't get attracted to females and males who he may like don't get attracted to him , very little chance that sex will disturb his meditation.

Yeah! I totally agree! If your aim is to find peace, seek enlightenment, you can do it anywhere. It is in your mind. You don't have to go to a monastery to do that. Besides, the image of the whole institution is at stage. In this very connected world now, anything that happens spread like wide fire before the truth can be explained. If your friends want to take up monkhood and escape worldly desires, they can do it all by themselves. Taking up monkhood and escaping worldly desires is a state of mind. It need not happen only in monastery.  

Guest Guest
16 hours ago, Tutor said:

Based on your logic, you mean straight monks in monastery have no sexual thoughts in their environment, like the way straight boys in the army has no sexual thoughts at all?   

Guest Tutor
3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Based on your logic, you mean straight monks in monastery have no sexual thoughts in their environment, like the way straight boys in the army has no sexual thoughts at all?   

Straight monks will not be exposed to anything that trigger sexual thoughts. But accidentally such things do happen , unavoidable.

Straight boys in army have no sexual thoughts? Ha ha ha. Who said so? During training they have no time, later will find time.

Guest 末法年代
4 hours ago, Guest Nothingness said:

Yeah! I totally agree! If your aim is to find peace, seek enlightenment, you can do it anywhere. It is in your mind. You don't have to go to a monastery to do that. Besides, the image of the whole institution is at stage. In this very connected world now, anything that happens spread like wide fire before the truth can be explained. If your friends want to take up monkhood and escape worldly desires, they can do it all by themselves. Taking up monkhood and escaping worldly desires is a state of mind. It need not happen only in monastery.  

Hanor hanor. Nowadays lots of monks eat caviar in high end restaurants and shop for gucci bags - hello eggs and leather goods are not vegan friendly! You can be a monk in a gay sauna if you are self-controlled and detached enough. Just ask the statues!

Guest 末法年代
Just now, Guest 末法年代 said:

Hanor hanor. Nowadays lots of monks eat caviar in high end restaurants and shop for gucci bags - hello eggs and leather goods are not vegan friendly! You can be a monk in a gay sauna if you are self-controlled and detached enough. Just ask the statues!

If you can be a statue for 5 hours in a sauna full of hot guys, you are doing better than a monk meditating for years in a barren monastery. If you need to be physically removed from tempting environments in order to practice monkhood, you are not really there yet.

Guest Tutor
On 8 July 2016 at 9:30 AM, Guest guest said:

Many friends were thinking go taking up monkhood, to be away from the worldly desires. While checking around, we realised that in Singapore, no temples accept gay to be monks nor any monastic novices programs.

Buddha did not condem any orientation of gay, lesbian or transgender, but why all most temples here putting such a declaration ? In'st the universal door of mercy opens for all ?

It seems that China / Thailand, Myanmar and overseas are more receptive.

Actually monks in Temples have worldly desires , probably more than lay people.

If want to be away from worldly desires get into a Forest Hermitage type of a monetary. These are not in urban areas , mainly in rural undeveloped poor areas. No luxuries at all , a Singporean may find it extremely challenging to adapt to such a lifestyle.

yap, no wifi, no smart phone, no computer, no latest games or movies, no entertainment, 3 meals all eat vegetables, do daily cleaning jobs when not chanting, away from friends and families, better try 1 week can tahan or not before committing your whole life to it

I saw a monk driving merc n another one using tablet n eating at subway.

Do the monks need to pay the temple for staying there?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Tutor
1 hour ago, lonelyglobe said:

yap, no wifi, no smart phone, no computer, no latest games or movies, no entertainment, 3 meals all eat vegetables, do daily cleaning jobs when not chanting, away from friends and families, better try 1 week can tahan or not before committing your whole life to it

Anyone to take this challenge? ( for 1 week ). PM me if interested.

Guest Guest

I think it is stress living in singapore. A also have many many friends who want to he monks and nuns. The sheer number is alarming. 

We ponder to think long and hard...is our country becoming a city of monks and nuns? We long for the simple life...we want to shun the modern lifestyle and spend our hours and days reading, learning and gain knowledge without the demands of this mordern world. The government and missionaries must make this more accessable for people like us...provide us with lodging, healthcare, food, medical and items needed for basic human living.

We must breakfree from the bonds of worldly pleasures.

We long and yearn for life simple pleasures..what do you think?

Guest Stars
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

I think it is stress living in singapore. A also have many many friends who want to he monks and nuns. The sheer number is alarming. 

We ponder to think long and hard...is our country becoming a city of monks and nuns? We long for the simple life...we want to shun the modern lifestyle and spend our hours and days reading, learning and gain knowledge without the demands of this mordern world. The government and missionaries must make this more accessable for people like us...provide us with lodging, healthcare, food, medical and items needed for basic human living.

We must breakfree from the bonds of worldly pleasures.

We long and yearn for life simple pleasures..what do you think?

Are you sure?  There are just not enough local monks.  The temples here 'imported' most of them from China, Sri Lanka and Thailand.

On the contrary, many of our young local boys become young startups and entrepreneurs, owners of e-commerce and lifestyle cafes, some taking over parents business, even becoming young educated hawkers. 

Guest Tutor

Singapore is not a place for real monks. Enough places available in nearby large countries for monk hood. Monks in Singapore are just showcasing monk hood living a luxurious life. We need them , otherwise how locals at least see a monk , like seeing a Panda in the Singapore Zoo. Don't blame animals in zoo for living a luxurious life. Ha ha ha.

• Guest locked this topic