Male HQ

Buddhism Discussion

Guest Fan Ren

Guest Lotus
9 hours ago, koumin said:

😊 那您也这么认为吗?您也遇见菩萨而非菩萨吗?

凡所有相,皆是虚妄。若见诸相非相,即见如来

2 hours ago, Guest Wiseman said:

Which explains why you always allow your emotion to get ahead of your brain.  I blame it entirely on your western media and politicians to use human weakest link - the heart - to stir hates for votes. Human heart should be the last thing to trust over intelligence that require a lot of wisdom. 

I'm not sure if the heart is human's weakest link.  It is one of the essential organs, and all of them are "the weakest link".  If you refer to our spirituality,  little is known about how the heart and the brain work together.  

While the intelligence may be concentrated in the brain,  when we talk about the heart we refer to our ESSENCE,  our moral values, our feelings. Could it also be where our intuition resides?  Maybe this refers to the upper level of our "soul", or "spirit",  which driven by the heart makes use of the intelligence provided by our brain.

We should all have the discipline to have our feelings check with our intelligence as a guide for our actions.  In this way our emotions resulting from our feelings don't act on their own,  except in exceptional cases like when we respond to danger, for example.

2 hours ago, Guest Lotus said:

佛不度无缘人,

不度无愿人,

不度不信之人。

It may not be necessary that the Buddha saves everybody.  HE was one enlighted person who passed on his enlightenment to fellow humans that became the Buddhists.  But nowhere it is found that he was THE ONLY ONE.

It is not ruled out that some individuals may find by their own the enlightenment that makes them escape samsara or attain other forms of "salvation".   The Buddha did,  unless I am not aware that he had his own enlightened guru.

Jesus Christ may have received a similar gift,  which he passed on to his disciples, who started the movement that became Christianity. 

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Lotus
On 6/23/2023 at 2:37 AM, Steve5380 said:

It may not be necessary that the Buddha saves everybody.  HE was one enlighted person who passed on his enlightenment to fellow humans that became the Buddhists.  But nowhere it is found that he was THE ONLY ONE.

It is not ruled out that some individuals may find by their own the enlightenment that makes them escape samsara or attain other forms of "salvation".   The Buddha did,  unless I am not aware that he had his own enlightened guru.

Jesus Christ may have received a similar gift,  which he passed on to his disciples, who started the movement that became Christianity. 

阿弥陀佛,师兄

佛 = the enlightened one

one 不代表 Only one

皈依法 当愿众生深入经藏智慧如海

無上甚深微妙法
百千萬劫難遭遇
我今見聞得受持
願解如來真實義

Guest Lotus
16 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Good that he is not the only enlightened.  If ONE can become enlightened,  we all can too!  :) 

深入经藏智慧如海。愿你早登菩提。

Guest Lotus
7 minutes ago, Mojohomme said:

they are not afraid of it, US is the master when it comes to using their media for their benefits. 

you think they fail to shoot it down but in fact, they wants to shoot more. as someone will be footing the bill in one way or another.

肉眼看世界全是名利

天眼看世界无尽轮回

法眼看世界皆是因果

慧眼看世界尽是心幻

佛眼看世界都是慈悲

1 hour ago, Guest Lotus said:

深入经藏智慧如海。愿你早登菩提。

How can a wisdom be like the sea?   One thing is a mental state,  the other is a body of water.

I would rather think that enlightenment is achieved by going into oneself, with wisdom.

And leaving the book with the scriptures on the bookshelf.

Guest Lotus
4 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

How can a wisdom be like the sea?   One thing is a mental state,  the other is a body of water.

I would rather think that enlightenment is achieved by going into oneself, with wisdom.

And leaving the book with the scriptures on the bookshelf.

智慧如海,即非智慧是海。而是比喻智慧如海水的甚多,非是算数之所能知。

1 hour ago, Guest Lotus said:

智慧如海,即非智慧是海。而是比喻智慧如海水的甚多,非是算数之所能知。

Would you please have the courtesy to reply to my posts in English,  a language I can read?

And can you use your own intelligence in the reply, instead of pasting a metaphor?  Chewed up phrases, sayings, metaphors have no more validity than the simple and clear reasoning of our brains.

Sea water can be perfectly known not by arithmetic but by chemistry,  something that metaphors cannot.

Edited by Steve5380

12 hours ago, Guest Lotus said:

肉眼看世界全是名利

天眼看世界无尽轮回

法眼看世界皆是因果

慧眼看世界尽是心幻

佛眼看世界都是慈悲

悟不透才會用這麽多種眼來看待世界。

5 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Would you please have the courtesy to reply to my posts in English,  a language I can read?

And can you use your own intelligence in the reply, instead of pasting a metaphor?  Chewed up phrases, sayings, metaphors have no more validity than the simple and clear reasoning of our brains.

Sea water can be perfectly known not by arithmetic but by chemistry,  something that metaphors cannot.

dun worry about it. i dun think those are not the real teachings of Buddha.  

Guest Lotus
6 hours ago, Mojohomme said:

dun worry about it. i dun think those are not the real teachings of Buddha.  

一切有为法,如梦幻泡影,如露亦如电,应作如是观。应如是生清净心,不应住色生心,不应住声香味触法生心,应无所住而生其心。

16 minutes ago, Mojohomme said:

廢話一堆。佛陀本尊才沒有這種心情玩猜字游戲呢。

Jesus Christ was also not in the mood to play charades.  It seems that he never said one word against homosexuals.  And this idea that our soul was implanted in our first few cells after conception  does not come from Jesus Christ either.  

There is surely much more nonsense introduced by the followers of Jesus Christ,  the Catholic, Protestant, Mormons etc.  than what was introduced by the followers of The Buddha.

33 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Jesus Christ was also not in the mood to play charades.  It seems that he never said one word against homosexuals.  And this idea that our soul was implanted in our first few cells after conception  does not come from Jesus Christ either.  

There is surely much more nonsense introduced by the followers of Jesus Christ,  the Catholic, Protestant, Mormons etc.  than what was introduced by the followers of The Buddha.

these are played by some half boil eggs,  they cannot give a definite answer, so they makes people do the guessing games.

Guest Member
35 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Houstan has no Buddhist temple? I am sure they also have free publication, or Buddhism class for you to sign up?   I am aware many Hollywood veteran celebrities have turned to Buddhism too, like Richard gere?

Guest Lotus
2 hours ago, Mojohomme said:

廢話一堆。佛陀本尊才沒有這種心情玩猜字游戲呢。

说诚实言,何不深入经藏理悟佛法。

Guest Lotus
1 hour ago, Guest Member said:

Houstan has no Buddhist temple? I am sure they also have free publication, or Buddhism class for you to sign up?   I am aware many Hollywood veteran celebrities have turned to Buddhism too, like Richard gere?

善哉善哉 👍 

2 hours ago, Guest Member said:

There are several Buddhist temples in Houston, four in the inner city. And I could join a Buddhist community.

If I would join an organized religion, I would stay with my original one,  the Catholic Church.  But...   I am so happy without one!

8 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

If I would join an organized religion, I would stay with my original one,  the Catholic Church.  But...   I am so happy without one!

Why stay with an anti gay religion and not choose a safer one like Buddhism? I am trying to make sense out of your stupidity. 

3 hours ago, Guest Huh? said:

Why stay with an anti gay religion and not choose a safer one like Buddhism? I am trying to make sense out of your stupidity. 

Keep trying making sense of my stupidity.  If you don't succeed, then you must be much more stupid than I am.

Catholicism is not so anti-gay as it used to be.  Our Pope Francis is not anti-gay at all.  He is equally opposed to gay sex as to straight sex,  unless... unless it is made for procreation.  But this nonsense may be too difficult for him to change.  If I return to my religion,  I would not care for any nonsense,  but would only pay attention to the philosophy of Jesus.

Guest ! for 1 = Perfect Grace
4 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I would not care for any nonsense,  but would only pay attention to the philosophy of Jesus.

It was speculated that Jesus was also a Buddhist monk.  He didn't die but ran to the East to preach "goodies".  I think there was a book on such possibility.  If you believe in Buddhism, you get the best of both world - Jesus + Buddha and won't violate your adulation for Christianity while enjoying the teaching of Buddha. 

On 6/7/2023 at 11:52 AM, Guest 小绵羊 said:

So easy meh?  You may have followed strictly the 8 path right but that is only when you are alone, within the temple, homely and not involved in society affairs.   Once you stepped out of your home and your neighbours laundry blocked your way or someone nearly knocked you accidentally or you were shortchanged by eating some horrid and pricey meal, or a bird drop a pile of poo on your head or..MRT broke down on your urgent appointment or...the toiles were all fully occupied when you on the verge of shitting out....etc.   You won't curse and swear meh?  You will suddently display your kindness and generosity under those circumstances meh?  You will greet your enemy with sincere deepest love meh?  You will donate $100 to the tissue paper sellers instead of just paying $1 to get 10 packs of tissue meh?  You will stay focus and concentrate throughout the day meh?  You won't eat your favourite Bah Chor Mee or thick prawn paste Rojak Meh? Meh? Meh???

Hi, 

Can you kindly share with us what are the 8 from the Noble Eightfold Path?  

• 2 weeks later...

@Steve5380, i think 's just a cultural difference. There are different ways of writing Chinese and especially for religious or cultural texts, some ideas are often expressed in a more literary or more poetic form of expression. 

There are nuances that cannot be easily translated into simple Chinese or English language. It is probably made worse as I imagined u used Google to translate the text.

I read the Chinese texts so far in the thread, most of it is not wrong, but they are just the usual cliches. Like proclamations about the transient nature of things, how different lens will see different things, how dualism/dichotomous thinking is not enlightening etc etc.

That said, I agree excessive use of such language is indeed unnecessary obfuscation. I learned more from simple Chinese text n English sources about Buddhism than most of the literary Chinese  prose. And for religion and spiritual ideas to propagate, simple direct expression is better.

On 6/25/2023 at 5:12 AM, Steve5380 said:

And can you use your own intelligence in the reply, instead of pasting a metaphor? 

Edited by PlayersGroup

On 6/26/2023 at 2:00 AM, Guest Huh? said:

Choosing what spiritual worldview one believes to be true is not the same as choosing a product according to safety levels I guess.

32 minutes ago, PlayersGroup said:

Choosing what spiritual worldview one believes to be true is not the same as choosing a product according to safety levels I guess.

Having to choose what spiritual worldview to believe as truth...  isn't this a sign that the real truth is beyond us? 

Maybe a good choice is to trust our inborn sense of morality.  To follow these instead of dwelling with religious doctrines could be a way of  life more in harmony with what we really are.  I think that this is also the most honest approach.  

1 minute ago, Steve5380 said:

Having to choose what spiritual worldview to believe as truth...  isn't this a sign that the real truth is beyond us? 

Maybe a good choice is to trust our inborn sense of morality.  To follow these instead of dwelling with religious doctrines could be a way of  life more in harmony with what we really are.  I think that this is also the most honest approach.  

Yeah, I am nowhere near as religious as I was in my teens n 20s. And yet, in a way, I'm more centered in my being. I read some writings before on the philosophy of socially conforming morality vs an innate sense of personal morality. I think both has a role to play in our daily lives. The important thing is to approach both with a positive mindset.

1 hour ago, PlayersGroup said:

Yeah, I am nowhere near as religious as I was in my teens n 20s. And yet, in a way, I'm more centered in my being. I read some writings before on the philosophy of socially conforming morality vs an innate sense of personal morality. I think both has a role to play in our daily lives. The important thing is to approach both with a positive mindset.

Yes, "socially conforming morality" is not inborn but grows with experience,  applying our inborn morality to society.  I think that both can be merged,  because our inborn morality cannot apply only for us, but needs a subject of application, which in its majority is... society. 

I was never,  the child in me was never religious, ha ha.  But I found that good morality is a source of peace and happiness, and I was fortunate to have good role models in my family.   I am not anti-religious,  many people find their morality thanks to religion,  and this is the important thing I find in it. 

Guest Tio Bo
43 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Yes, "socially conforming morality" is not inborn but grows with experience,  applying our inborn morality to society.  I think that both can be merged,  because our inborn morality cannot apply only for us, but needs a subject of application, which in its majority is... society. 

Religion morality is set extremely  high and beyond humanity reach.  Todate no human has achieved that. Not even Tom cruise in Mission impossible. 

Socially conform morality is a messy game play between politics, religion and individual trying to set a standard either skewed to the right or left depending on who rule  the day.. often resulted in favouring one group of people over another. 

Inborn morality doesnt exist out of birth but moulded through individual experiences,  which varies from person to person and then you created the morality that is manageable to yourself even though it may not conform to society set standard or religion standard.   Such morality fluctuates regularly you may  subconsciously end up breaking the moral rules and with that, people repent using religion morality as guide again...and mission impossible cycle repeats.  

My point is, no one is immoral free. The only thing achievable is to cultivate inner peace.  Peace with the world, yourself and with all living things.  That should be the gist of Buddhism. 

Guest Lotus

佛法非宗教,宗教非佛法。

如把佛法视为宗教那就不是佛法。

以猜测谈论佛法,并非真性佛法。

如无法理解佛法,何不深入经藏理悟佛法。

2 hours ago, Guest Tio Bo said:

Religion morality is set extremely  high and beyond humanity reach. 

Yes, it is the more unreachable the more it is a fantasy.

2 hours ago, Guest Tio Bo said:

Inborn morality doesnt exist out of birth but moulded through individual experiences,  which varies from person to person and then you created the morality that is manageable to yourself even though it may not conform to society set standard or religion standard.   Such morality fluctuates regularly you may  subconsciously end up breaking the moral rules and with that, people repent using religion morality as guide again...and mission impossible cycle repeats.  

Yes, we are totally ignorant at birth,  and so there is nothing to apply morality with.  What is inborn in us is the capacity for empathy, compassion, remorse.  With time, our roles of victimizers and victims bring out these feelings and shape some rules of conduct which become our "moral values".  Religion helps in that it teaches some timeless norms that grew out of the experiences of our ancestors, like the "golden rule",  the "10 commandments", the various rules of Buddhism.   All these have an independent concrete value, separate from the stories, fairy tales, etc. in the religions.

Guest Morality
17 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

What is inborn in us is the capacity for empathy, compassion, remorse.  With time, our roles of victimizers and victims bring out these feelings and shape some rules of conduct which become our "moral values".  Religion helps in that it teaches some timeless norms that grew out of the experiences of our ancestors, like the "golden rule",  the "10 commandments", the various rules of Buddhism.   All these have an independent concrete value, separate from the stories, fairy tales, etc. in the religions.

The golden rule, 10 commandments and various rules of Buddhism will not lead you to the roles (highlighted in blue).     The roles highlighted in Green is probably what you were blessed with, so that it makes you fully understand your roles highlighted in Blue. 

In case you are confused of what I meant, here is a layman take:

It is not by reading scriptures or reciting mantras to fully grasp the meaning of Morality.   God wanted to bless you with sufferings, so that you under the term "morality". 

Guest Morality

Sufferings lead to you to become a monk.  A monk who doesn't suffter, will not understand morality by reciting books alone.  Just like people who were born with golden/silver spoon, do not understand the meanining of sufferings, even if his home is stacked with buddhas, scritpures and making daily prayers. 

On 7/9/2023 at 9:37 PM, Guest Morality said:

Sufferings lead to you to become a monk.  A monk who doesn't suffter, will not understand morality by reciting books alone.  Just like people who were born with golden/silver spoon, do not understand the meanining of sufferings, even if his home is stacked with buddhas, scritpures and making daily prayers. 

That's not what Buddhism or Buddha himself taught. Buddha himself was born a prince in a palace. It's as golden a spoon u can get.

Whether born rich or poor, all are in Samsara, and all have greed, anger and ignorance, but all have the capacity to cultivate spiritually through the Noble Eightfold Path to attain awakening.

Edited by PlayersGroup

4 hours ago, PlayersGroup said:

That's not what Buddhism or Buddha himself taught. Buddha himself was born a prince in a palace. It's as golden a spoon u can get.

Whether born rich or poor, all are in Samsara, and all have greed, anger and ignorance, but all have the capacity to cultivate spiritually through the Noble Eightfold Path to attain awakening.

Agree.  And not only through the Noble Eightfold Path.

Albert Einstein was exceptional in that he conceived his relativity theories.  Siddhartha Gautama was exceptional in that he conceived the principles of Buddhism.  But they were basically identical to all of us.  No single religion, philosophy has reached the great majority of Humanity.  It would be terribly unfair if only the followers of one particular religion or philosophy were blessed with "the truth".  Therefore, it makes sense that persons can have the potential to cultivate spirituality and attain enlightenment, either by their own or by learned ways. 

Edited by Steve5380

5 hours ago, kitsune said:

By understanding suffering, then you can transcend suffering.

This is most exemplified by Buddha's teaching of the 4 noble truths.  

Suffering is an unavoidable experience in life.  The crying of a newborn is indication that he/she is suffering.

The selfish person reacts to suffering by feeling victimized.  Some remain selfish all their lives, and don't care for the suffering of others or don't become aware of it.

The situation is different if we have the capacity to love. The combination of love with the suffering of others leads to empathy, compassion.  Not only for fellow humans but for all living creatures.   And these empathy and compassion help us to transcend our own suffering, and accept it as part of being alive,  whatever this may entail. 

Edited by Steve5380

8 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Agree.  And not only through the Noble Eightfold Path.

Albert Einstein was exceptional in that he conceived his relativity theories.  Siddhartha Gautama was exceptional in that he conceived the principles of Buddhism.  But they were basically identical to all of us.  No single religion, philosophy has reached the great majority of Humanity.  It would be terribly unfair if only the followers of one particular religion or philosophy were blessed with "the truth".  Therefore, it makes sense that persons can have the potential to cultivate spirituality and attain enlightenment, either by their own or by learned ways. 

Yeah. The original word for sin in Christianity is Khata, an archery term meaning the arrow misses the mark. The Pali term for suffering in Buddhism is Dukkha has its root words meaning a bad fitting wheel for a chariot leading to a bumpy ride. Different words historically, but in essence similar analogies for the same human condition in an imperfect world

The Noble Eightfold Path is general enough to apply to any person of any faith. It's like a simple scaffolding and tool for spiritual cultivation and apply to believers of any religion or anyone with no religion. As long as he or she is practicing the same elements, call it any other name 8-fold or 10-fold, the person will still attain spiritual growth.

Buddhism, as I understand does not obsess with or grasp at outward names, labels but is only sharing the essence of practicing to get out of samsara. The Buddhist worldview grants that there were many buddhas before and after the historical Buddha of our eon.

Edited by PlayersGroup

• 1 month later...

spacer.png

Healing Chants and the Sound of Bells Surround You When You Visit Thekchen Choling. An Oasis of Dharma Now Available Online, Wherever You Are!

Thekchen Choling is a registered Buddhist organisation in the Republic of Singapore. The organisation was started in 2001 by Singha Thekchen Rinpoche and a group of his initial disciples. The organisation promotes non-sectarian Buddhism, emphasizing understanding of Theravada and Mahayana teachings.

TCCL is committed to the Rime (non-sectarian) movement within Tibetan Buddhism though it is of the Gelug tradition. The primary practices and teachings of this temple are from Guru Rinpoche lineage and Lama Tsongkapa lineage. 
https://www.thekchencholing.org/

spacer.png

Healing Chants and the Sound of Bells Surround You When You Visit Thekchen Choling. An Oasis of Dharma Now Available Online, Wherever You Are!

Thekchen Choling is a registered Buddhist organisation in the Republic of Singapore. The organisation was started in 2001 by Singha Thekchen Rinpoche and a group of his initial disciples. The organisation promotes non-sectarian Buddhism, emphasizing understanding of Theravada and Mahayana teachings.

TCCL is committed to the Rime (non-sectarian) movement within Tibetan Buddhism though it is of the Gelug tradition. The primary practices and teachings of this temple are from Guru Rinpoche lineage and Lama Tsongkapa lineage. 
https://www.thekchencholing.org/

🙏🙏🙏

Playersgroup.....u have great body n thick cock! So Yummy!! Wish can give u a good massage 💆‍♂️ 😋😋😍

Fenghou.....u have great body! Nice to do a massage 💆‍♂️ 😋😋😜

Your photo sooooo seductive! Thick cock!! Yummy 😋 😍 

Fenghou.....u have great body! Nice to do a massage 💆‍♂️ 😋😋😜

For spamming the forum with trolling messages

For diverting the topics and

For being a cunt!

You are banned!

The table on Differences in Theravada & Mahayana's Teachings, though not incorrect, is overly simplistic and may be misleading esp on "Meditation Practices" and "Icons and Rituals".

Mindfulness is fundamental to all meditation practices no matter Theravada or Mahayana and even Vajrayana. Then comes the different meditation methodologies that are suited for different practitioners towards the same goal of nirvana. Not all Mahayana meditation practices necessarily involve mantras. 

As for "Icons and Rituals", why more "Statues and Mantra" is fundamentally because there is many more Mahayana sutras. Every sutra usually has at least an associated mantra, so more sutras more mantras. Likewise, many sutras narrate the different buddhas and bodhisattvas introduced by our Buddha. So more "Role Models" made into statues to remind us of their virtues and cultivation.

I find the phase "ritualistic practices" very awkward as it is very misleading. Some people have negative connotations when they see the word "ritualistic". They associate "ritualistic" with "blind faith" and yes unfortunately there is plenty going around. But putting knowledge and wisdom into practices are fundamentally how we learn and be good at stuff. When these practices are structured, formalised and repeated again and again, they become "Rituals". Again, more sutras pertaining to different aspects of life, death, spiritual cultivation towards nirvana, there will be for forms of practices developed relating to life, death, spiritual cultivation towards nirvana. Nothing deviates from Karma, even those who practice rituals without understanding the principles, they will eventually achieve understanding the dharma, if not this lifetime it will be another. Be patient with them just like the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are patient with us.

Mahayana Buddhism has More Art....Not necessarily and we really do not know. Those we can see today, there are no lacking in numbers and variety in countries in South Asia where Theravada Buddhism is mainstream. There was a period in ancient India when Buddhism was outlawed, destroyed and nearly wiped out of existence. The scale of the buddhism related ruins in India we see today suggest an once golden era of the Buddhism philosophy. We simply do not know how much Art was lost then. I simply do not dare say Mahayana Buddhism has more art than Theravada Buddhism. Besides, Art is Art. 

So...dun mind my rambling......😅

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2023 at 11:55 PM, fenghou said:

Are there folks here who are into the practice of chanting?

During the 7th Month, there is a particular mantra that is well known by many people who practice chanting - 報父母恩咒

Have others also add me in telegram 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.