Male HQ

Cars Discussions

zyjd

Not trying to create another MyCarForum here, but as a gay petrolhead I'm curious about the following:

What car(s) do you drive/used to drive?

Any dream car(s)?

What do you think of the current car market (I.e., COE premiums, loan restrictions, etc.)

What are some stereotypically "gay cars"? 

I'll start the ball rolling:

Used to drive: Hyundai Verna, Mitsubishi Lancer EX. Now driving: Volvo S60 T4

I hope to own the Volvo V90 one day! I love stationwagens and the V90 looks very proportionate and classically Volvo. I also have a soft spot for the Merc E-Class. I know both choices are rather matured for my age but I never really hankered after Ferraris or Lambos... I like my cars to be safe and comfortable.

Re the COE, I predict there may be a spike in the car categories in the next bidding on 7 Feb, due to the facts that now the COE of $36,890 is the second lowest in 7 years, and there's a 3 week gap in between bidding (it's usually a fortnight). But I think the second bidding of Feb will have another drop - it may even drop below the current $36,890 - because there's a whole week of CNY where all the dealerships are closed, and only a week left for them to collect orders for that bidding thereafter.

What do you think?

Edited by zyjd

A Malaysian , but working over here in SG.

Previous ride Peugeot 308. Now driving Nissan Teana.

A Volvo fan here, my dad used to own a 240 in his days. I hope to own S90 one day as i prefer large sedans over SUVs or any exotics sport cars. Personally i just feel that S90 looks real good especially on the side profiles, altot alot of ppl get attracted to the Thors Hammer headlight, but it was the clean side line that actually attracts me most. The rear end design is subjective though. BMW might be more to performance, Merz might exudes more luxurious, but the kid inside me still prefer Volvo.

No opinions on COE though, owning a car in SG is consider a luxury item. Wont see myself in getting a car in SG though.

I think gays will normally get a niche car with a certain taste in design instead of those common bread n butter car IF thier wallets allowed. For example an Alfa Giulla, Renault Megane or Opel Insignia, Porsche Panamera instead of VW Golf or Toyota Camry. One of my gay friend used to drive a Peugeot 308 and now owning a Volvo V40 which i think both are sexy cars.;)

Haha no offence yah but isn't the Teana quite a... matured car? Also regarding the 308 - is it true that french cars are really more susceptible to problems and reliability issues when placed in a tropical climate like ours? In SG the re-sale value of the 3 frenchies (Renault, Peugeot, Citroen) are just above China cars :o

2 hours ago, loacker said:

A Volvo fan here, my dad used to own a 240 in his days. I hope to own S90 one day as i prefer large sedans over SUVs or any exotics sport cars. Personally i just feel that S90 looks real good especially on the side profiles, altot alot of ppl get attracted to the Thors Hammer headlight, but it was the clean side line that actually attracts me most. The rear end design is subjective though. BMW might be more to performance, Merz might exudes more luxurious, but the kid inside me still prefer Volvo.

nice! My auntie has a 240 too - and yes, she still keeps it to this day because of sentimentality's sake. Been providing yeoman service to her family for more than 30 years now - she just renewed her COE for the third time. Everytime she drives it out she tells me she gets a few stares.

I agree with you on the rear design of the S90 - it somehow looks very bulky and plain. Also, they should have used LEDs for the signal repeaters and reverse lights too; it's standard on cars its class these days.

I almost bought the C180 tbh, but I like the subtlety the S60 (and all Volvos in general) provided. To me, owning a Merc, BMW, Audi, and to some extent Lexus, has always been a sign of conspicuous consumption, which I try to avoid. I like my cars very understated.

3 hours ago, loacker said:

think gays will normally get a niche car with a certain taste in design instead of those common bread n butter car IF thier wallets allowed. For example an Alfa Giulla, Renault Megane or Opel Insignia, Porsche Panamera instead of VW Golf or Toyota Camry. One of my gay friend used to drive a Peugeot 308 and now owning a Volvo V40 which i think both are sexy cars.;)

Haha my ex used to call the following cars a gayboy/hairdresser's car: VW Beetle, Mini One/Cooper, Fiat 500, Audi TT, Merc SLK. I was a bit miffed because I had a soft spot for the Beetle - until I sat in my colleague's and was thoroughly underwhelmed by the B-grade cabin (hard plastics, high NVHs), and lack of power. 

I nearly bought the V40 too! Once I crossed the C180 off the list, I was vacillating between the V40 and S60 - I felt the latter was too big for me; I don't have a family with kids and will never want one. But the V40's interior was a bit spartan (have you seen the miserable 5" infotainment screen and cut-price analog instrument panel on SG versions?), and my bf and good friend reasoned that since the S60 is still within budget and had a similar depreciation to the V40, no harm going for it.

28 minutes ago, Anderson said:

Driving auto - when you suddenly have to drive up an inclined road, do you normally change gear or just continue with drive gear. 

If changing  gear, do you change while car moving and still pedal on drive?

nope, I normally just continue in D. Reason being the if the car lacks power in the gear it's in and you step on the gas harder, the tranny will downshift by itself to increase the RPM and thus giving sending more power from the engine to the wheels.

But if you so wish to downshift, it is perfectly safe to do so while the car is moving. It's also not necessary to lift of the gas pedal when you're downshifting; if your car is already struggling at 10km/h on a steep incline, lifting off the pedal for 2 seconds to downshift might cause it to slow down even more and maybe even roll back.

Hope this helps! :)

4 hours ago, zyjd said:

Haha no offence yah but isn't the Teana quite a... matured car? Also regarding the 308 - is it true that french cars are really more susceptible to problems and reliability issues when placed in a tropical climate like ours? In SG the re-sale value of the 3 frenchies (Renault, Peugeot, Citroen) are just above China cars :o

I agree with you on the rear design of the S90 - it somehow looks very bulky and plain. Also, they should have used LEDs for the signal repeaters and reverse lights too; it's standard on cars its class these days.

I almost bought the C180 tbh, but I like the subtlety the S60 (and all Volvos in general) provided. To me, owning a Merc, BMW, Audi, and to some extent Lexus, has always been a sign of conspicuous consumption, which I try to avoid. I like my cars very understated.

I nearly bought the V40 too! Once I crossed the C180 off the list, I was vacillating between the V40 and S60 - I felt the latter was too big for me; I don't have a family with kids and will never want one. But the V40's interior was a bit spartan (have you seen the miserable 5" infotainment screen and cut-price analog instrument panel on SG versions?), and my bf and good friend reasoned that since the S60 is still within budget and had a similar depreciation to the V40, no harm going for it.

yes, the french is kinda susceptible to electronics and sensors prob..touch wood during my 3 yrs of owning the car, prob free for me except some wear n tear item..the 308 used the Prince 1.6 turbocharged engine co-developed wit BMW which is the same used in the previous gen Mini also suffered from lotsa of breakdown..some even get prematured failure within 1-2 yrs:mellow:

The reason i sold of my 308 and get a Teana is one thing Japanese offered a much more reliability, Basically all u need is just pump petrol and go car. It doesnt need much maintenance aside from the regular servicing. The European needs much tender care compared to Japanese, tats the reason i ditched the 308 for Teana since I spent most of the time in SG. Driving Teana certainly makes u at least 10 years older..the moment u get down from the car, they would think of u as a family man..hahaha..TBH , if u want a quiet comfort cruiser from point A to B Teana is the answer, for drive and high speed stability Teana still no way matching the 308. The European always excel in this area. I would go back for European if you were to ask me, may b during the time when i retired and full time based in Msia...let me kena TOTO..hehehe:lol:

V40 despite the aging model, but i would say still the sexiest hatchback in the market to date. i saw the facelifted version had a full TFT lcd instrument panel. Yes Volvo always do have the understated look compare to the more flashy merz or bm. Tats why some say that those who owned a Volvo majority are lawyers or doctors, while those who drive Merz/BM are businessmen..hahaha

S60 is kinda nice too and much more spacious than V40. TBH, V40 is kinda cramp if u want to ferry passengers behind. The S60 seats are still the traditional Volvo seats much more comfortable compare to the newer gen Volvo which gets firmer seats. The R-design seats even more firmer altot u get more bolstered. And S60 still among 1 of the safest car in its category which passed the IIHS small overlap test despite the age of the model which the test haven been implemented yet at that time, the likes of Audi A4/VW Passat all failed miserably. :redface:

Cars.....I like what is inside but when i spoke with most ppl.....nobody actually cares.....

Like Audi Virtual Cockpit, which i really like but nobody thinks its a great which is weird

Like my current car has 14 integrated speakers to form a surround sound and able to blast like in club .....nobody seems to think it's neccessary.

So i ask how abt Apple play? Nobody cares.

I guess for most ppl cars are really from point A to B.....well...1 minimum thing i must have is your 0 - 100 acceleration speed must be below 10 secs.

Above 10 secs , u just can't overtake anybody at traffic light lol

Car is a luxury item (a toy for me really) so functionality is as important as torque and horsepower.

7 hours ago, Ironrod said:

Cars.....I like what is inside but when i spoke with most ppl.....nobody actually cares.....

Like Audi Virtual Cockpit, which i really like but nobody thinks its a great which is weird

Like my current car has 14 integrated speakers to form a surround sound and able to blast like in club .....nobody seems to think it's neccessary.

So i ask how abt Apple play? Nobody cares.

I guess for most ppl cars are really from point A to B.....well...1 minimum thing i must have is your 0 - 100 acceleration speed must be below 10 secs.

Above 10 secs , u just can't overtake anybody at traffic light lol

Car is a luxury item (a toy for me really) so functionality is as important as torque and horsepower.

I think the Audi virtual cockpit is damn cool too! But unfortunately not much hype on it - Premium Automobiles are not very actively trying to promote it, and it is only available on higher specced models. Btw, do you know it costs $1,070 to update the GPS maps? Because of that most VW/Audi owners just leave their maps not updated, I heard.

Apple Carplay/Android Auto is cool, but I have some customers (I'm a car salesman) who complain about having to purchase data roaming to use data for GPS should they travel up north. Then again cannot please everyone, lah. Before we made AC/AA a standard feature in our cars, people were complaining that we didn't have it and that our competitor installs that in their cars for free. Now that we finally had it installed I have a lot of people complaining about having no built-in GPS. But one plus point about AC/AA is how you can reply WA messages on the go ;)

What car are you currently driving? I'm guessing probably a hot hatch since acceleration and practicality is important for you.

8 hours ago, loacker said:

The reason i sold of my 308 and get a Teana is one thing Japanese offered a much more reliability, Basically all u need is just pump petrol and go car. It doesnt need much maintenance aside from the regular servicing. The European needs much tender care compared to Japanese, tats the reason i ditched the 308 for Teana since I spent most of the time in SG. Driving Teana certainly makes u at least 10 years older..the moment u get down from the car, they would think of u as a family man..hahaha..TBH , if u want a quiet comfort cruiser from point A to B Teana is the answer, for drive and high speed stability Teana still no way matching the 308. The European always excel in this area.

wah I thought the Teana was a super stable car at high speeds too on account of its hefty kerb weight. Btw try to protect your Teana's dashboard well yah. Very prone to cracking under the heat. Common problem among Nissan and Toyota cars with soft-touch dashboard.

8 hours ago, loacker said:

V40 despite the aging model, but i would say still the sexiest hatchback in the market to date. i saw the facelifted version had a full TFT lcd instrument panel.

I tell you ah... Wearnes is very chaokuan... they strip down their cars like crazy just to save on the OMV and taxes. In other countries the V40 comes standard with a pedestrian airbag and blind spot information system (BLIS), together with the LCD instrument panel and 7" infotainment system. Our version here is like the naked one :/

14 hours ago, zyjd said:

Apple Carplay/Android Auto is cool, but I have some customers (I'm a car salesman) who complain about having to purchase data roaming to use data for GPS should they travel up north. Then again cannot please everyone, lah. Before we made AC/AA a standard feature in our cars, people were complaining that we didn't have it and that our competitor installs that in their cars for free. Now that we finally had it installed I have a lot of people complaining about having no built-in GPS. But one plus point about AC/AA is how you can reply WA messages on the go ;)

Cool leh, u car salesman. Next time want to buy car pm you for your expertise (I hope admin don't think this is a hookup.....)

9 minutes ago, Ironrod said:

Cool leh, u car salesman. Next time want to buy car pm you for your expertise (I hope admin don't think this is a hookup.....)

Haha yeah I'm very lucky to be in a job I love. I used to be in channel sales but it bored and stressed the hell out of me. The only think I dislike about my job is having to work on weekends, but that is when the crowd comes in to see and buy... Guess you really can't have your cake and eat it.

Sure, feel free to drop me a PM anytime; I'll be happy to give my unbiased opinion on the different models you're looking at :)

Just the road tax, insurance, car park can come up to about $400 each month. 

This is excluding ERP, shopping etc parking fee, maintenance, petrol, car wash, repair, fines, loan interest...

I find it extremely irrational to pay these money....an iPhone's about 1K....it is like you can buy an iPhone monthly, and just keep changing. Or fly to HK etc monthly

Met a frd that day. He was tired and walking to the car park to drive home. I asked him why don't he park nearer to his workplace? He said he could save $30 or $40 monthly due to the cheaper car park...

I think it is a torture leh if have to save like this to own a car....

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

This is excluding ERP, shopping etc parking fee, maintenance, petrol, car wash, repair, fines, loan interest...

I find it extremely irrational to pay these money....an iPhone's about 1K....it is like you can buy an iPhone monthly, and just keep changing. Or fly to HK etc monthly

ahaha that's why it's an luxury item...sometimes it's fun to just drive around the streets at night with your friends or date. One moment , u can be at marina, another moment in sentosa etc

Of course, if money is an issue then better not stress yourself.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

My road tax is $732 per annum, insurance is about $1,000 per year, and I have free parking at home. The former 2 just costs me $145 a month, combined.

I put $300 in my cashcard and it can last me typically 4 to 5 months - that's less than $100 a month for ERP, mall parkings. Maintenance, petrol, car wash, I do up north. Much cheaper there. Another $300 a month for it.

I rarely receive fines: to date (5 years) I've only spent $100 on them. Loan interest not applicable coz I didn't take a loan for the car as I also feel it's a bit stupid to pay interest for nothing.

My total monthly cost: about $700. And imo the $700 is well-spent because I'd otherwise spend a long time commuting by public transport, and time is money. I've done my calculations before: if I were to take a taxi or private hire car everywhere, I'd spend about $900 per month.

So I guess in a way it's cheaper for me to own a car. Haha.

7 minutes ago, Ironrod said:

ahaha that's why it's an luxury item...sometimes it's fun to just drive around the streets at night with your friends or date. One moment , u can be at marina, another moment in sentosa etc

A car may not be a luxury item if it's a Toyota Vios or Hyundai Elantra we're talking about. But it certainly can be considered one if you're splashing additional money on a Lexus just because you can.

I rarely do aimless drives but appreciate the option of being able to if I so wished at any time. 

Tbh once you own your own set of wheels it's torturous to go back to taking public transport, especially with the current pathetic state our public transport infrastructure is.

A few weeks ago during the Motorshow I told myself it's a bit senseless to park at Suntec the entire day (9am to 8pm), so I tried taking the bus and train there from my house.

I nearly died from squeezing with everyone else on the bus and train. Plus the journey took so long OMG.

I ended up driving to Suntec for the rest of the 3 days. 

22 minutes ago, Guest Car for masses said:

Car sales man driving volvo... gosh, what has happened to volvo. Brand for masses now.

What's wrong with a car salesman driving a Volvo? I can well afford a Mercedes-Benz but I chose Volvo because it's understated and don't want to appear too flashy.

Guest Mercedes

Let me chip in. Yes u can afford a merz but can you if your family is not well off?

My parents are well off so when i started work, i dont hv to wory about money or savings. I spent as i wish coz i know i have my inheritance. No need to bother about housing, savings,retirement, etc. Carefree

I believe u r in the same situation. No need to be successful but still can spend like one, thanks to family. We are privileged.

21 minutes ago, Guest Mercedes said:

Let me chip in. Yes u can afford a merz but can you if your family is not well off?

My parents are well off so when i started work, i dont hv to wory about money or savings. I spent as i wish coz i know i have my inheritance. No need to bother about housing, savings,retirement, etc. Carefree

I believe u r in the same situation. No need to be successful but still can spend like one, thanks to family. We are privileged.

Um. I actually bought the Volvo entirely by myself. My family is considered ok but I have been fully independent since 23 - I'm living on my own too since then.

Now I don't have to worry about money not because of a hefty inheritance waiting for me, but because I have saved up enough over the years. I am estranged from my family so fat hopes on my end of getting a windfall when my parents die.

Used to drive Honda city which I think is a really good car although is made in Thailand. But I like it small and nimble. 

Now driving Audi A3. It makes all my criteria. 

@Ironrod I think virtual cockpit is really cool too. But too bad. Installation is already $1.7K. And still charging for the update of map and software!!!’ This is really too much. There are other cool feature too. I hope it will be able to link my handphone to MMI but it doesn’t. 

@zyjd, hi, not sure if ok to ask u: just ytd, some water droplets landed on my front bonnet (suspect was those water from air con unit), n now there r some white patches on my black car. how cld i remove e stains? (car was parked at commercial building, partially open car-park)

tried car wash from petrol kiosk, it didn't help. hope u have some suggestions, tks in advance.

27 minutes ago, Guest try said:

@zyjd, hi, not sure if ok to ask u: just ytd, some water droplets landed on my front bonnet (suspect was those water from air con unit), n now there r some white patches on my black car. how cld i remove e stains? (car was parked at commercial building, partially open car-park)

tried car wash from petrol kiosk, it didn't help. hope u have some suggestions, tks in advance.

Of course it's ok to ask; always happy to help :)

If its indeed air-con water and leaves a white patch on your car, it's likely permanent as air-con water is acidic and can eat into the paint. However if it's just overnight, there's still a chance of salvation: get the petrol kiosk cleaners to focus more on that area, rub a bit harder with their microfiber cloth... It happened to me recently, and I managed to save it in the nick of time haha.

You can also try sending your car for a polish. It *might* work depending on how long the stains have been left there.

If all else fails and you are really pissed, go and complain to the building's management. Can try asking them to compensate you for a respray - this might fall under their insurance claims.

47 minutes ago, tyan said:

Used to drive Honda city which I think is a really good car although is made in Thailand. But I like it small and nimble. 

Now driving Audi A3. It makes all my criteria. 

@Ironrod I think virtual cockpit is really cool too. But too bad. Installation is already $1.7K. And still charging for the update of map and software!!!’ This is really too much. There are other cool feature too. I hope it will be able to link my handphone to MMI but it doesn’t. 

A3 is a very nice car. Sportback or sedan?

1 hour ago, -honey- said:

on this topic of car polishing, do u have any recommendation (east or central side preferably) @zyjd?

a shop where they wont 'slaughter' u anyhow one, rather than a shop tat always ask u to add on this or tat. hahaha

PM-ed!

On 2/3/2018 at 9:46 AM, zyjd said:

wah I thought the Teana was a super stable car at high speeds too on account of its hefty kerb weight. Btw try to protect your Teana's dashboard well yah. Very prone to cracking under the heat. Common problem among Nissan and Toyota cars with soft-touch dashboard.

I tell you ah... Wearnes is very chaokuan... they strip down their cars like crazy just to save on the OMV and taxes. In other countries the V40 comes standard with a pedestrian airbag and blind spot information system (BLIS), together with the LCD instrument panel and 7" infotainment system. Our version here is like the naked one :/

the softly sprung suspension doesnt help at speed stability (160kmh-180kmh)..hehehe..yes certain batches do suffer from cracked..

BTW, ur T4 is the 1.6 engine or the newer 2.0 drive-e engine? Msia do update the S60/V40 with the 2.0 drive-e engine though..

just curious how is life being a saleperson in car industry especially in SG..i'm a car enthusiast, if given a chance would really wanna try it out in this field, but not dare to make the first step into it. I assume that u are a groundstaff salesperson and not a branch manager or regional manager here. LOL:lol:

My T4 is the 1.6cc one!

Yes, I'm a "groundstaff salesperson". The management did ask if I was keen to take up the Asst Sales Manager role a while ago given my qualifications but I declined - why be a sales manager earning less commission for a higher basic when as a salesman I can earn way more than the directors? In the car industry the sky really is the limit, especially for mass market brands like mine (I won't say which).

A lot of people have this misconception that being a car salesman is quite easy: just serve customers when they walk in and persuade them to buy your car. I think in Malaysia (and the rest of the world, really) it's more straightforward: buyer places deposit in the morning, loan gets approved in the afternoon, they can drive away the car the next day. But it goes much beyond that, especially with the COE system in Singapore

Because of that, when you buy a car in Singapore sometimes you only get your car 3 months later, and we only get our commission 4 months later (we get our commission a month later from the day you take delivery of the car). This is if the buyer purchases a package with 6 bids COE (there are guaranteed and non-guaranteed packages), which is usually the amount of bids the dealers offer.

Also, for me personally, I try to go beyond relying on walk-ins and the current pool of customers I previously attended to but didn't buy then. I did some strategizing and market analysis, and realized that those people who bought cars in 2012 to start of March 2013 (when COE was almost at an all-time high and they could take a 100% loan for a decade) are actually eligible to start changing cars now to cut their losses - if they bought a car with a high COE, their "paper value" is higher but they also bought the car at a very high price ($135k for a Toyota Altis). The term "paper value" refers to the amount they can get back from their remaining COE and prorated PARF amount. Furthermore, if they are already more than halfway through their loan, they can fully redeem the car if they buy a new car now, using the trade-in value we give them to pay off the remaining loan amount and put as downpayment for their new car. This works because car prices are much cheaper ($95k for a Toyota Altis). Not sure if this makes any sense to you because it can get a little technical haha.

Did I tell you I love my job? I can talk about cars all day, and being paid to do so is a nice bonus. The reasonably good paycheck I draw every month and the many different cars I get to drive and experience (customer trade-in cars etc.) is the icing on the cake.

But I think the greatest satisfaction stems from helping people realize their dream of owning a car - I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I finally deliver the car to someone who previously thought they could never afford one :)

Sorry for the long wall of text! Summarizing stuff isn't my forte.

Dude, you are trying too hard. Lol. Rather confused with your sky is the limit to reasonable good paycheck justification. 

Regardless, personally, any Tom dick n Harry can be a car sales man. Not regulated unlike RMs or insurance agents. 

Never knew owning a car is a dream. Coz in Singapore, car is changed regularly. More so, don't think people dream of buying a mass market vehicle.  Buying a landed property is a dream. 

Never really thought much of car sales man. Only need them to highlight the discounts, model n delivery timeframe. Other info can be researched online. After all, once a purchased is made, dont need sales man anymore. Lol

Good to know you are passionate about your job. That's more important than anything. 

15 minutes ago, Guest Sales said:

Dude, you are trying too hard. Lol. Rather confused with your sky is the limit to reasonable good paycheck justification. 

Regardless, personally, any Tom dick n Harry can be a car sales man. Not regulated unlike RMs or insurance agents. 

Never knew owning a car is a dream. Coz in Singapore, car is changed regularly. More so, don't think people dream of buying a mass market vehicle.  Buying a landed property is a dream. 

Never really thought much of car sales man. Only need them to highlight the discounts, model n delivery timeframe. Other info can be researched online. After all, once a purchased is made, dont need sales man anymore. Lol

Good to know you are passionate about your job. That's more important than anything. 

:) thank you for your comments, anonymous guest. I'm not sorry though that you don't think much of me, because I'm happy with what I have and what I do :)

Cheers to a great week ahead! COE bidding is this coming Wednesday and I pray hard all my customers get their COEs.

On 04/02/2018 at 11:17 PM, zyjd said:

:) thank you for your comments, anonymous guest. I'm not sorry though that you don't think much of me, because I'm happy with what I have and what I do :)

Cheers to a great week ahead! COE bidding is this coming Wednesday and I pray hard all my customers get their COEs.

Don't we all love anon guest. Hugs, bro. Great reply anyways.

Guest All profiles are anonymous

Aren't all profiles here to some extend anonymous? Just because a pic is shown, it doesn't make it less anonymous. Especially those none face pic. So, all the same. 

All replies are good and great, with the exception of the rare few. Coz all came from different perspectives and background, etc. There's never a right or wrong, good or bad views. We just have to agree to disagree. Every comments has their own merits, logic, truth, etc. 

I decided to reply anonymously just for the fun of it

24 minutes ago, Guest All profiles are anonymous said:

Aren't all profiles here to some exte

7 hours ago, Ironrod said:

Don't we all love anon guest. Hugs, bro. Great reply anyways.

nd anonymous? Just because a pic is shown, it doesn't make it less anonymous. Especially those none face pic. So, all the same. 

All replies are good and great, with the exception of the rare few. Coz all came from different perspectives and background, etc. There's never a right or wrong, good or bad views. We just have to agree to disagree. Every comments has their own merits, logic, truth, etc. 

I decided to reply anonymously just for the fun of it

Haha let's get back to the topic guys.

What cars do the both of you drive?

Guest Not driving

@zyjd apologies, but I think your monthly cost estimate is not correct/complete. You did not factor in car/Coe depreciation and financial costs (either loan cost or opportunity cost if you were to invest your money). Total cost of owning a car (low end) is at least 1k to 1.2k per month. Take note for your future discussion with your customers. 

As for me, I don't drive. I am given monthly transport allowance of $2k but don't see the need to drive. Don't need a car to boost my ego. Haha.

Why car not required?  

1) too many young reckless drivers and inexperience grab/uber drivers

2) too many accidents

3) too many cars

4) too many lousy and/or rude drivers (wannabes) 

5) taxi / uber / grab much more covenient

6) short distance, traffic etc so can't really utilize car potential. 

7) increased flexibility and convenience  to rent car

48 minutes ago, Guest Not driving said:

@zyjd apologies, but I think your monthly cost estimate is not correct/complete. You did not factor in car/Coe depreciation and financial costs (either loan cost or opportunity cost if you were to invest your money). Total cost of owning a car (low end) is at least 1k to 1.2k per month. Take note for your future discussion with your customers. 

As for me, I don't drive. I am given monthly transport allowance of $2k but don't see the need to drive. Don't need a car to boost my ego. Haha.

Why car not required?  

1) too many young reckless drivers and inexperience grab/uber drivers

2) too many accidents

3) too many cars

4) too many lousy and/or rude drivers (wannabes) 

5) taxi / uber / grab much more covenient

6) short distance, traffic etc so can't really utilize car potential. 

7) increased flexibility and convenience  to rent car

How we calculate depreciation: (car price) - (PARF) = x, then x/10years.

For a normal bread and butter car it's about $8,000 per annum, which works out to be $670 per month.

Total loan cost (assuming you take a $60,000/70% loan with 2.28% interest rate for a B&B car) would be $9,576 over 7 years. That works out to be $114 per month.

These are just marginal add-ons, lah. And yes I definitely show customers the depreciation and loan cost when I do the math for them to consider; it's part of our job to ensure the customer knows how much their car is depreciating every year.

Personally, I drive not to boost my ego, but because I genuinely enjoy driving, and HATE slumming it out on public transport. Oh the horrors of having a sweaty and sticky fat auntie plonk herself down beside you with her huge red plastic bags of groceries. Or squeezing beside sensitive, egotistical women on the crowded train who think you're trying to cop a feel on their ass because you're so close to them.

/shudders

And I can't bear the thought of having to wait in the muggy tropical climate for the bus/taxi... nonono that's certainly not for me haha.

If I live in a city like LDN or NYC where everywhere is relatively well-connected and the climate isn't as half as awful as ours, I really wouldn't mind taking the public transport to work on weekdays and drive only on weekends to satisfy my love for driving :)

CAT A COE rose but CAT B dropped! Think this can be attributed to the 7% quota cut in CAT A COE and marginal increase of CAT B COEs.

Judging by the number of unsuccessful bids, though (855), the chances of it dropping in the next bid might not be very high, even though dealers have only a little more than a week to collect orders before the next bidding. However, CAT B has a strong chance of coming down on the 21st feb bidding due to low number of unsuccessful bids (435) coupled with a weak market for bigger cars.

On another note, very happy all my customers got their COEs today; this means most of them will have new cars to drive around for CNY visiting.

Guest Cardinal sin

Jesus christ, a mass market car sales man critizing mass market and mass transport. The irony.

Look, i will leave u to be pretentious, snobbish, show offish etc,i dont care. There are ppl like you. But i draw the line when u start insulting the mothers out there. Especially from someone privileged like you (i also agree that your background benefitted you).

As highligted by another guest, your views, analysis, inputs are never complete, accurate and in most instances contradictory. They reflect your immaturity, inexperience and lack of knowledge. I definitely do not take you seriously.

Passion or not, you are just a car sales man. I am also passionate about cars but i am not a car sales man. i dont have be coz i have better options. In addition, if u r any good, you would have been working for premium upmarket segment. Yes, i know u will probably reply and say 1. U have offer but chose to do mass mkt or 2. Current company countered offer to keep you 3. You prefer mass mkt coz blah blah 4. Blah blah

Hey, as someone said, stop trying so hard to impress.  Be HUMBLE.

(Just pissed at your comments criticizing mothers)

Guest Guest annoyed

In this internet age, should just do away with car salesmen, insurance agents, property agents and probably bankers. These jobs are totally redundant...

People who need these information and services can probably just look up online. No need these middle-men agents to drive up the costs of our daily lives. 

To TS, get a ‘proper’ job instead of bragging here and other threads about your lifestyle.

Actly TS didn't mention anything abt mothers nor did he brag abt his lifestyle in dis thread

Dunnid get so work up la. He like cars and like his job den so b it lo. Yih hua hi ho liao

1 hour ago, Guest Guest Annoyed said:

TS seems to be trying to use this thread subtlely to promote his services. 

If I really am trying to "promote my services", I'll be telling everyone which dealer I'm in and why my car is better than the rest.

But no. I didn't. :)

I can agree to disagree as I have with some of the other guests here, but I think an accusation like this is kinda uncalled for, yah.

57 minutes ago, Traveler3032 said:

I drive the most reliable and probably the least interesting kind of car for "uncles"  Toyota Camry. I am thinking of buying a new generation hybrid one soon. I figured that driving a flashing car may actually be a mismatch of my personality. Nevertheless,  i am not a boring person! 

Nothing wrong with Camry! Large, comfortable, reliable though yes, got the uncle image.

The hybrid one is not bad but are you a high mileage user? A hybrid will only make sense if you are a heavy user because you can realize the fuel savings over the higher list price. Got to ask yourself if you can save $20,000 worth of petrol over the period you own the car.

Anyway the hybrid is no longer being sold by Borneo Motors. If you want the hybrid have to go through PI route, but it's the latest 2018 model you'll be getting. :)

(For the record, I don't work for Borneo Motors/PIs. Haha.)

• G_M changed the title to Cars Discussions
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.