Male HQ

Cars Discussions

zyjd

Just now, zyjd said:

better than Honda. The Jazz is a freaking $73,000 for a supermini! And the Civic 1.6 is way too overpriced.

But they are selling like hotcakes... Jazz/Fit a lot on the road... PHV also got... Last time i went for a meetup, got a whole lot for Civic owners lining up....

Mazda only the 3 are selling well cz of PHV... a few 2s... The 6 rarely see them; same goes of the CX3

vroom vroom

1 minute ago, Elotex said:

But they are selling like hotcakes... Jazz/Fit a lot on the road... PHV also got... Last time i went for a meetup, got a whole lot for Civic owners lining up....

Mazda only the 3 are selling well cz of PHV... a few 2s... The 6 rarely see them; same goes of the CX3

actually the 6 is pretty good value for money for a large family sedan. CX-3 cmi because it is a 2l engine so it's rather overpriced, and what's more, it's based on the M2.

The recent cars@expo Korean brands did very well: over the weekend Hyundai about 180 and Kia 160. Japanese brands: Toyota not very sure, but should be above 100 too, Honda about 90 units, and the biggest loser would be Nissan with only 20+ units sold in the 2 days.

Biggest loser for new cars would be SEAT. Heard the units sold is a single digit.

1 minute ago, zyjd said:

actually the 6 is pretty good value for money for a large family sedan. CX-3 cmi because it is a 2l engine so it's rather overpriced, and what's more, it's based on the M2.

The recent cars@expo Korean brands did very well: over the weekend Hyundai about 180 and Kia 160. Japanese brands: Toyota not very sure, but should be above 100 too, Honda about 90 units, and the biggest loser would be Nissan with only 20+ units sold in the 2 days.

Biggest loser for new cars would be SEAT. Heard the units sold is a single digit.

I find the Koreans are doing very well.... Its just that people's way of thinking only.... I see most of them are value for money; cheap and loaded with equipments and probably still cheaper than some base model...

Cant really comment much on Japanese... Established already so people no think just take....

SEAT unfortunately no market here... Sell Chery last time CMI, then change to SEAT also CMI... But I find the Leon nice though... Most of their models are 1.0, good if you want cheap RT, still single and no need much storage and stuff.... Basically they are VW la so maintenance as expected for the Germans...

vroom vroom

20 minutes ago, Elotex said:

I find the Koreans are doing very well.... Its just that people's way of thinking only.... I see most of them are value for money; cheap and loaded with equipments and probably still cheaper than some base model...

Cant really comment much on Japanese... Established already so people no think just take....

SEAT unfortunately no market here... Sell Chery last time CMI, then change to SEAT also CMI... But I find the Leon nice though... Most of their models are 1.0, good if you want cheap RT, still single and no need much storage and stuff.... Basically they are VW la so maintenance as expected for the Germans...

Yeah the Koreans have moved on from being simple, cheap, and sometimes nasty, to providing very good value for money. It's just the image that they have to work on, lah. Many older Singaporeans still view it as a car brand only those near bankruptcy buy,

Re Vertex Auto, they did actually did pretty well in the past doing Chery. Coz the QQ was so dirt cheap ($19,999 for OPC car), a lot of people went to buy it just as a very basic form of transport. They sold so well apparently they won world dealership of the year for dunnowhichyear haha. But meh I drove the QQ before and it was hands down the worst car I've ever driven. It made me so thankful for my then 9 year old Hyundai Verna.

But market gossip is the boss at Vertex is extremely stingy, so he makes you pay for basic stuff like leather seats, solar film, and recording cameras. Vertex Auto is part of the Lian Fong group of companies which is headed by the same guy. People here call him egg-man (lol) because he started off distributing eggs to supermarkets. So what happens when you bring an eggs and cars together? A spectacular failure! Hahah.

SEAT cars are quite technically competent because they have the privilege of latching on to the VW group's technology and parts basin, but imo what really killed Singapore's perception of it is the pricing: $86,000 for an Ibiza? Really??? Idk about you but that hatch isn't much of a lifestyle car - you'd top up a bit more for the Mini One or VW Beetle and they're more iconic -, so you have to really like the car to buy it. If not most people would just take their $86,000 and plonk it down on a Japanese/Korean family sedan. And it doesn't come with the aforementioned basic stuff - all are additional (costly) cost options.

My carpark has an Ibiza, so I went to kaypoh and look into the interior; wtf it doesn't have keyless entry/push-start, nor even a centre armrest for both the front and rear! Also air-con is manual controls, not even digital. Either that guy really likes the SEAT brand or he's a fool for paying so much for that car. Haha.

1 minute ago, zyjd said:

Yeah the Koreans have moved on from being simple, cheap, and sometimes nasty, to providing very good value for money. It's just the image that they have to work on, lah. Many older Singaporeans still view it as a car brand only those near bankruptcy buy,

Re Vertex Auto, they did actually did pretty well in the past doing Chery. Coz the QQ was so dirt cheap ($19,999 for OPC car), a lot of people went to buy it just as a very basic form of transport. They sold so well apparently they won world dealership of the year for dunnowhichyear haha. But meh I drove the QQ before and it was hands down the worst car I've ever driven. It made me so thankful for my then 9 year old Hyundai Verna.

But market gossip is the boss at Vertex is extremely stingy, so he makes you pay for basic stuff like leather seats, solar film, and recording cameras. Vertex Auto is part of the Lian Fong group of companies which is headed by the same guy. People here call him egg-man (lol) because he started off distributing eggs to supermarkets. So what happens when you bring an eggs and cars together? A spectacular failure! Hahah.

SEAT cars are quite technically competent because they have the privilege of latching on to the VW group's technology and parts basin, but imo what really killed Singapore's perception of it is the pricing: $86,000 for an Ibiza? Really??? Idk about you but that hatch isn't much of a lifestyle car - you'd top up a bit more for the Mini One or VW Beetle and they're more iconic -, so you have to really like the car to buy it. If not most people would just take their $86,000 and plonk it down on a Japanese/Korean family sedan. And it doesn't come with the aforementioned basic stuff - all are additional (costly) cost options.

My carpark has an Ibiza, so I went to kaypoh and look into the interior; wtf it doesn't have keyless entry/push-start, nor even a centre armrest for both the front and rear! Also air-con is manual controls, not even digital. Either that guy really likes the SEAT brand or he's a fool for paying so much for that car. Haha.

Ibiza is pretty basic... Unless loaded with tech which obviously bring the price up... SGCM list it at $81k

I wast aware that Vertex is sold Chery like hotcakes also.... I also heard QQ is one of the worst, giving most problems, even being the most basic go-to car.... Currently my dad has the T11 1.6M... Hated it but what to do? My dad doesn't want to let it go...

The only thing I like... Stick shift which also at times gives problem....

vroom vroom

Wah u guys really discussing bread and butter car like u got a family to drive around.

I previously thought single guys like us will go for something 'fun'. lol

Edited by Ironrod
add more things

Just now, Ironrod said:

Wah u guys really discussing bread and butter car like u got a family to drive around.

Kia Stinger lorh... V6 eh.... Fancy bigger? The Amarok also come with V6 but 70km/h max orh...

vroom vroom

15 minutes ago, Elotex said:

Kia Stinger lorh... V6 eh.... Fancy bigger? The Amarok also come with V6 but 70km/h max orh...

I do think the stinger for a all-wheel drive with high power the price was really worth it but they shouldn't put the big KIA in front and back of the car totally ruin the design.

Previously, i never think much abt "rational" when i buy cars. Like my previous car I added abt 10k option (like 14 speakers Bose sound system, bigger rims, Full LED lights etc) then realize has no "value" when u trade in.

Edited by Ironrod

14 minutes ago, Ironrod said:

something fun? Haha I'm contemplating buying over a customer's Beetle cabriolet she's trading in. We are taking it in at $4k depreciation per annum, and the car has exactly a year and a month left by the time it gets handed over. Just buy the car for shits and giggles, lah. Always wanted a Beetle cabrio because it's so fab but could never bring myself to pay more than $100,000 for it. Now can get it on the cheap so I'm considering but I already have my swedish horse so getting a german bug seems a bit of an overkill haha.

Just now, zyjd said:

something fun? Haha I'm contemplating buying over a customer's Beetle cabriolet she's trading in. We are taking it in at $4k depreciation per annum, and the car has exactly a year and a month left by the time it gets handed over. Just buy the car for shits and giggles, lah. Always wanted a Beetle cabrio because it's so fab but could never bring myself to pay more than $100,000 for it. Now can get it on the cheap so I'm considering but I already have my swedish horse so getting a german bug seems a bit of an overkill haha.

Think u confuse "girly" as fun lol

Just now, zyjd said:

The bug has always been a pleasing looking car to look at... Esp the old ones.... The newer evolved too much but looks better still....

*I fell in love with the bug bcz of Herbie*

vroom vroom

2 minutes ago, Ironrod said:

Think u confuse "girly" as fun lol

oi! Hahaha I have a soft spot for how adorable it looks, lah. It's a true blue lifestyle car; I know a macho guy at the gym I go to occasionally driving one (I assume it's his wife's/gf's) if he doesn't show up in his 3l A7. Hehehe I admit I've wanked off to fantasies of fucking him in the Beetle with the top down. HAHAHA.

2 minutes ago, Ironrod said:

This looks fun

Is it just me or what... But I really hate the looks of the new A Class.... Maybe one day the looks will grow on me ah... But for now, ewww...

vroom vroom

5 minutes ago, zyjd said:

oi! Hahaha I have a soft spot for how adorable it looks, lah. It's a true blue lifestyle car; I know a macho guy at the gym I go to occasionally driving one (I assume it's his wife's/gf's) if he doesn't show up in his 3l A7. Hehehe I admit I've wanked off to fantasies of fucking him in the Beetle with the top down. HAHAHA.

The Fiat 500 also cute.... Esp the old one.... Small and petite...

vroom vroom

14 minutes ago, Elotex said:

Is it just me or what... But I really hate the looks of the new A Class.... Maybe one day the looks will grow on me ah... But for now, ewww...

the new A class has tail lights reminiscent of the pre-facelift Kia K3... my bf calls them bra lights. Lol.

Guest guest
3 hours ago, zyjd said:

better than Honda. The Jazz is a freaking $73,000 for a supermini! And the Civic 1.6 is way too overpriced.

73k you said ex...

It used to be 80+.  I rem at 1 or it was 92k

14 hours ago, zyjd said:

I find Honda way overpriced and unaffordable. But people commented that Honda engine is really refined that after turning the ignition key, you are not sure the engine has already started. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

Thanks to @zyjd for starting this tread. Definitely useful to anyone who needs advice on car matters. :)

May I chip in my 3cents thought: Only buy a car when you need one. The cost of having a car, can easily set you back a 4 figure per month, which can be put to other usage. Having said that, our public transport can sometimes be so unreliable as well. Trains breakdown or bus drivers who anyhow brake (sorry, but I think I am not alone when I took some buses that gives me a headache, like even 5 stops). Having said that, I am still driving and am blessed to have 2 MRT lines serving my area of residence. 

Choosing and buying a car is only the beginning. What follows thru is the maintenance of it, to which nobody should ever save and scrimp on that, especially when it comes to safety. Also, fuel consumption is one major factor. Monthly instalments won't change, but petrol prices do. Check out forums and go for test drive. Of course, we can always fall back on @zyjd :lol:

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Hi zyjd, do you know when the next cars exhibition will be? November or December this year? Thanks! 

next should be October. There are usually 2 car expos in a year: Mar/Apr and Oct/Nov. The one in January is Motorshow where manufacturers haolian all their latest launches etc.

4 hours ago, LeanMature said:

I find Honda way overpriced and unaffordable. But people commented that Honda engine is really refined that after turning the ignition key, you are not sure the engine has already started. 

eh no leh. I test drove both the Civic 1.6 and 1.5T and they're not really that refined especially when you rev it above 2,500rpm. Honda is going down:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-honda-innovation-specialreport/special-report-how-honda-lost-its-mojo-and-the-mission-to-get-it-back-idUSKCN1BI18J

3 hours ago, thorzguy said:

Thanks to @zyjd for starting this tread. Definitely useful to anyone who needs advice on car matters. :)

May I chip in my 3cents thought: Only buy a car when you need one. The cost of having a car, can easily set you back a 4 figure per month, which can be put to other usage. Having said that, our public transport can sometimes be so unreliable as well. Trains breakdown or bus drivers who anyhow brake (sorry, but I think I am not alone when I took some buses that gives me a headache, like even 5 stops). Having said that, I am still driving and am blessed to have 2 MRT lines serving my area of residence. 

Choosing and buying a car is only the beginning. What follows thru is the maintenance of it, to which nobody should ever save and scrimp on that, especially when it comes to safety. Also, fuel consumption is one major factor. Monthly instalments won't change, but petrol prices do. Check out forums and go for test drive. Of course, we can always fall back on @zyjd :lol:

expensive fuel in SG? No problem! I just pumped 74l of V Power that cost $1.03/l.

In Malaysia.

23 minutes ago, zyjd said:

next should be October. There are usually 2 car expos in a year: Mar/Apr and Oct/Nov. The one in January is Motorshow where manufacturers haolian all their latest launches etc.

eh no leh. I test drove both the Civic 1.6 and 1.5T and they're not really that refined especially when you rev it above 2,500rpm. Honda is going down:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-honda-innovation-specialreport/special-report-how-honda-lost-its-mojo-and-the-mission-to-get-it-back-idUSKCN1BI18J

expensive fuel in SG? No problem! I just pumped 74l of V Power that cost $1.03/l.

In Malaysia.

Ahahahaa.... That's so so true! 

Anyway, one doesn't need to step on the pedal too hard -  next moment comes red light, hump, zebra crossing (with hump), strips, TP camera and before you know it, red light again. Lol. 

3 hours ago, thorzguy said:

Ahahahaa.... That's so so true! 

Anyway, one doesn't need to step on the pedal too hard -  next moment comes red light, hump, zebra crossing (with hump), strips, TP camera and before you know it, red light again. Lol. 

Anyway, what car are you driving, Mr Thorzguy? :)

10 hours ago, thorzguy said:

Well said... Very true...

vroom vroom

I hope this thread can also updates on car events and meetups...

Last week got Autotest at Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal... Anybody went there? I really wanna go to do some shoot but assignments are stacking like crazy...

vroom vroom

2 minutes ago, Elotex said:

I hope this thread can also updates on car events and meetups...

Last week got Autotest at Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal... Anybody went there? I really wanna go to do some shoot but assignments are stacking like crazy...

I'm chained to the showroom on most days so meet-ups are impossible for me. :(

As for events I can only go if they're official ones like expo or roadshows. Then it'll be crazy tiring haha.

Guest Guest

Hyundai KONA and i30 both v nice.....

If Hyundai has the best sales of 100s in the recent car show. Then they will need to bid a lot of COE. 

Knn....who wants to buy me one?  I let you fuck backside free

13 hours ago, thorzguy said:

No leh, i buy car really for fun. 4 figures is correct but you only live once i guess - just treat like your son Uni fees or sugar boy monthly allowance.

Having cars in sg is never a need, always a want.

6 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Hyundai KONA and i30 both v nice.....

If Hyundai has the best sales of 100s in the recent car show. Then they will need to bid a lot of COE. 

Knn....who wants to buy me one?  I let you fuck backside free

The i30 is nice no doubt... I just dislike the rear...

Kona.... Hmmmm... Debatable... I like how they implement the DRL-Headlight-foglamps configuration at the front... It looks ok ok la... They implement the same pattern on the new Santa Fe which is really nice IMO...

Avail with 1.0 manual engine eh... And another one 1.6 auto

vroom vroom

9 hours ago, Ironrod said:

No leh, i buy car really for fun. 4 figures is correct but you only live once i guess - just treat like your son Uni fees or sugar boy monthly allowance.

Haha, good analogy.  But I am thinking of buying one later in life when taking public transport and doing grocery become a chore. That is when the needs come.  

Guest Guest
6 hours ago, Guest John said:

There is a forum call , SG.carforum ......... 

SUPER appropriate for this topic ..... I think so , what about you Mr. BW Moderator 

Why BW not appropriate?BW should have varied topics for diff users.

Why should users be channelled to another website?

Siao

Guest Guest

COE prices are projected to crashed due to the fact that UBER will be selling their big holding of cars as she exit Sg market.  Unsold cars will be deregistered which means more COE will be plough back into the pool for recycle. Do not rush.

Guest Guest
38 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

COE prices are projected to crashed due to the fact that UBER will be selling their big holding of cars as she exit Sg market.  Unsold cars will be deregistered which means more COE will be plough back into the pool for recycle. Do not rush.

aiyo.....these cars cannot buy.....all like seasoned prostitutes....used until loose liao. A one-year old car is likely to have suffered serious pre-mature ageing.

11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Why BW not appropriate?BW should have varied topics for diff users.

Why should users be channelled to another website?

Siao

If I want to buy computer related I go Hardwarezone.com 

If i want to know more about car , I go SG carforum 

IF I want to know more about gay related issues I come to BW 

You are right, you can still come here and know about Car, Water, or even toilet paper pricing 

To each his own and the effectiveness of it to it related forum 

So no siao ...... next time you shopping for clothing , can try Tiong B Market and AMK Central ..... they have plenty too :) 

On 11/04/2018 at 7:23 AM, Elotex said:

The i30 is nice no doubt... I just dislike the rear...

Kona.... Hmmmm... Debatable... I like how they implement the DRL-Headlight-foglamps configuration at the front... It looks ok ok la... They implement the same pattern on the new Santa Fe which is really nice IMO...

Avail with 1.0 manual engine eh... And another one 1.6 auto

Don't have 1.0 Auto engine ?

12 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Hmm....i thought all those Uber cars are registered by individuals which is not finance under Uber? (Uber is not a taxi company thus they don't own cars)

So why would they need to deregister?

I made some enquires before and first thing they told me to do is register myself a company, take my car and buy company insurance (so customer is also insured). If you don't own a car and wants to lease one, they have partners for you to buy the cars and finance them. Those cars doesn't belongs to Uber - so why do u get the idea ?

Kindly enlighten me if my information is wrong.

4 hours ago, LeanMature said:

It's a 1.4l turbocharged engine

48 minutes ago, Ironrod said:

Hmm....i thought all those Uber cars are registered by individuals which is not finance under Uber? (Uber is not a taxi company thus they don't own cars)

So why would they need to deregister?

I made some enquires before and first thing they told me to do is register myself a company, take my car and buy company insurance (so customer is also insured). If you don't own a car and wants to lease one, they have partners for you to buy the cars and finance them. Those cars doesn't belongs to Uber - so why do u get the idea ?

Kindly enlighten me if my information is wrong.

Yes, some of these PH cars are owned by private individuals and either fully paid up or having it financed through a bank dealing with commercial vehicle loans. However a good proportion of PH vehicles are owned by Lion City Rental (LCR) and GrabRental (GR).

When you rent from LCR and GR, they'd help you set up a company so you may start driving for Uber/Grab. In summary, the cars are owned by LCR and GR, so you just lease them to run your business, which would be providing private hire rides.

But now LCR is in a bit of trouble due to Uber pulling out of the local market so the thousands of drivers that rented cars to them are still stuck with their incomplete contracts that expressly forbid them to drive for Grab.

From what I know, LCR is now trying to off-load as many cars as possible due to the impending closure. These are cars that have high mileages and with high COE, so there's a good chance they may scrap it even though it's just 5 years old.

Guest Guest

You are right, you can still come here and know about Car, Water, or even toilet paper pricing 

So no siao ...... next time you shopping for clothing , can try Tiong B Market and AMK Central ..... they have plenty too :) 

Siao

Guest Guest

If anything is irrelevant, you are irrelevant in this topic of this forum. The discussion will stay. You try to ask moderator to move it to car forum loh....siao

1 hour ago, zyjd said:

From what I know, LCR is now trying to off-load as many cars as possible due to the impending closure. These are cars that have high mileages and with high COE, so there's a good chance they may scrap it even though it's just 5 years old.

Meaning LCR is selling the cars in the secondhand market ?

Guest Guest
3 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

I think these cars are very worn out.....must be careful if want to buy. The mileage is so high you can hardly sell to another party. Also you have a much higher risk that the car will need major repair sooner

Guest Guest
5 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

Go to those website to see if there are more cars on sale recently. 

2 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I think these cars are very worn out.....must be careful if want to buy. The mileage is so high you can hardly sell to another party. Also you have a much higher risk that the car will need major repair sooner

Ya man. Not worth the effort.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, zyjd said:

Anyway, what car are you driving, Mr Thorzguy? :)

I am driving a Toyota Axio. I know I know, is a very uncle car. Hahaha..  I am being very pragmatic over aesthetics. I have to prioritize  my Mom & family. Also, no offence, but it is made in Japan. Very very reliable. 

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:55 AM, Ironrod said:

Good on you! If I do not have other commitments, I would considered a coupe. Lol. Say only la. Hahaha..

36 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

Ya man. Not worth the effort.

Yup. Just be wary. Take a look at some of these PHV on the roads. Looked as if they went thru bumper car war. So much dents and bumps, and the way some of them drives, brakes, tyres and engine already half gone. 

9 hours ago, LeanMature said:

I saw only turbo 1.0M and 1.6A... Auto for 1.6 only unfortunately... Unless you like to hold a stick then 1.0 is ok la...

vroom vroom

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.