Male HQ

Cars Discussions

zyjd

I saw a white Kona on the road last Thur!

Maybe some of you have seen it, but hey, it does look rather nice on the road. I managed to catch the back to the side to the front view. No no, I didn't deliberately overtake; it just happened naturally. 

19 minutes ago, thorzguy said:

I saw a white Kona on the road last Thur!

Maybe some of you have seen it, but hey, it does look rather nice on the road. I managed to catch the back to the side to the front view. No no, I didn't deliberately overtake; it just happened naturally. 

A Kona drove behind me at night, and I couldn't stop ogling at the 2 tier headlights in my rear view mirror. I stopped by the petrol station nearby to pump air, and the Kona turned in too for fuel. Driver was as good looking as the car. :wub:

Saw a Kona as well on the road last month or so... With the Tangerine colour... Its the same exact car thats being reviewed on SGCM...

vroom vroom

9 hours ago, Guest excite me cars said:

Image result for hyundai Kona pics

Hyundai Kona

Toyota C-HR

Image result for toyotachr pics

Toyota CH_R

Honda HR-V

Honda HRV safe and predictable boring.

Between these 3... I think I'd go for the C-HR. Rear cabin may be claustrophobic due to tight space and small windows but I'll never want kids anyway... it's mostly just my partner and I only. Plus the 1.2l turbocharged engine is quite punchy and the CVT gearbox whine is well-masked so the pick up is very smooth and power delivery linear.

The Kona 1l only comes in manual so it's not very practical for city driving. The 1.6l has a 7sp DCT but price is very steep due to the $20,000 VES surcharge it incurs. Plus it's AWD so can't expect good FC.

The HRV/Vezel is too boring and the 1.5l engine is really underpowered. The torsion beam suspension at the rear makes the ride rather bouncy and nausea inducing too.

Guest Guest
On 22 April 2018 at 10:16 PM, zyjd said:

lol no I am working at one of the distributors at Alexandra. I sell new cars, not used cars, but have quite a lot of contacts in the used car market.

No need for a meal, lah. I am fat enough. I love cars so I'm always more than happy to help others with cars if and where I can. :)

Selling which new cars?

Guest Guest
3 minutes ago, zyjd said:

don't want to say, lah. Later people say I subtly promoting my brands or services.

Don't say, then how you able to get new customers? Maybe there are people here want to buy your brand?

17 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Don't say, then how you able to get new customers? Maybe there are people here want to buy your brand?

haha. I am not looking for new customers here. If people here want to buy the brand I am selling, can go direct to the showroom and look for any salesperson there. I'm here to talk about cars and not so much the cars that I sell. I don't want to let people say I am promoting my cars or services; be beyond reproach, yo.

4 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

At least tell us European or Japanese brand ...

It's a mass-market brand. :)

4 hours ago, zyjd said:

Between these 3... I think I'd go for the C-HR. Rear cabin may be claustrophobic due to tight space and small windows but I'll never want kids anyway... it's mostly just my partner and I only. Plus the 1.2l turbocharged engine is quite punchy and the CVT gearbox whine is well-masked so the pick up is very smooth and power delivery linear.

The Kona 1l only comes in manual so it's not very practical for city driving. The 1.6l has a 7sp DCT but price is very steep due to the $20,000 VES surcharge it incurs. Plus it's AWD so can't expect good FC.

The HRV/Vezel is too boring and the 1.5l engine is really underpowered. The torsion beam suspension at the rear makes the ride rather bouncy and nausea inducing too.

I was considering the 1.8L hybrid for a moment for the CHR. The rear is indeed quite cramp. I need to factor in my Mom and other family members, so no go for now. 

39 minutes ago, zyjd said:

haha. I am not looking for new customers here. If people here want to buy the brand I am selling, can go direct to the showroom and look for any salesperson there. I'm here to talk about cars and not so much the cars that I sell. I don't want to let people say I am promoting my cars or services; be beyond reproach, yo.

It's a mass-market brand. :)

Don't worry, shall not ask you where / what brand. :)

Guest Excite me cars.
4 hours ago, zyjd said:

Ooohhh.... i didnt know. Thanks for sharing.

15 minutes ago, thorzguy said:

I was considering the 1.8L hybrid for a moment for the CHR. The rear is indeed quite cramp. I need to factor in my Mom and other family members, so no go for now. 

if it's outright space you're concerned about, check out the 2l Subaru Forester or 1.4l Hyundai i30 Wagon. The Forester has better rear legroom than the i30 Wagon, but the latter trumps it in terms of boot space. Both are sub $100,000 (I personally think the Forester is excellent value for money now: it may not have stellar fuel economy and you pay a higher road tax compared to the Hyundai, but you really get a lot of space and a very nice drive. Looks macho, too. :))

But I've a question: do you really need a hybrid? If you're not a very high mileage driver, a hybrid may not make much sense in Singapore due to low PARF value resulting in a much higher depreciation. If you do need a hybrid, Kia Niro has lots of space but the price is steep at above $130,000.

I've rode the CHR, grab to school, together with some camera equipment and props. The loading floor is quite high so putting heavy things can be hard, if frequently done. As it is high, together with the sloping roof line, the boot space isn't that big either for me. My T11 boot is way bigger as the floor starts very low.

Moving to rear passenger seat. Wow, it is very dark due the glass design. Coupled with the black/dark grey interior colour, I personally don't like it as it is just too dark.

3 minutes ago, zyjd said:

if it's outright space you're concerned about, check out the 2l Subaru Forester or 1.4l Hyundai i30 Wagon. The Forester has better rear legroom than the i30 Wagon, but the latter trumps it in terms of boot space. Both are sub $100,000 (I personally think the Forester is excellent value for money now: it may not have stellar fuel economy and you pay a higher road tax compared to the Hyundai, but you really get a lot of space and a very nice drive. Looks macho, too. :))

But I've a question: do you really need a hybrid? If you're not a very high mileage driver, a hybrid may not make much sense in Singapore due to low PARF value resulting in a much higher depreciation. If you do need a hybrid, Kia Niro has lots of space but the price is steep at above $130,000.

I've rode the Forester as well, carpooling to school with the situation, carrying camera equipment prop. The boot space is big. Load floor starts quite low. And surprisingly, moving inside, it feels very airy and bright. 1 is because the owner didn't install any solar film, so basically it is super bright. But at the same time, the glass are huge, a total opposite of the CHR.

Just sharing my exp as a passenger. Not yet driving those cars.... :)

vroom vroom

30 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Heard niro still not very stable as it is their first hybrid car? I find subaru xv or qashqai looks nice in design.

Also heard the same thing... It looks bulky though... Which can either be good or bad....

vroom vroom

Guest Guest
21 minutes ago, Elotex said:

Also heard the same thing... It looks bulky though... Which can either be good or bad....

Qashqai also looks bulky and yet the car design still looks nice.

11 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Qashqai also looks bulky and yet the car design still looks nice.

Oh... I don't think the Qashqai looks bulky. It looks well proportion IMO. The Niro IMO is more of big, squarish, bulky. But don't get me wrong, I like the Niro's deisgn. The Qashqai as well, especially the facelifted one with the 

vroom vroom

Qashqai looks good, but rear quarters are rather cramped. Also, the 1.2l Turbo coupled with a CVT is severely underpowered. The engine is under a lot of stress because it is tiny and has to support such a big and heavy body. There are multiple complaints on the forums of QQ engine failure in the second or third year. If you're looking at the Qashqai, go for the 2l model.

Subaru's CVTs are one of the best - it feels very much like a conventional auto without any of the typical CVT whine. Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota, and especially Honda have some way in catching up in their CVT trannies.

Guest Guest
56 minutes ago, Elotex said:

Oh... I don't think the Qashqai looks bulky. It looks well proportion IMO. The Niro IMO is more of big, squarish, bulky. But don't get me wrong, I like the Niro's deisgn. The Qashqai as well, especially the facelifted one with the 

Quashqai design consider sleek although i find the car looks big.

Guest Guest
40 minutes ago, zyjd said:

Qashqai looks good, but rear quarters are rather cramped. Also, the 1.2l Turbo coupled with a CVT is severely underpowered. The engine is under a lot of stress because it is tiny and has to support such a big and heavy body. There are multiple complaints on the forums of QQ engine failure in the second or third year. If you're looking at the Qashqai, go for the 2l model.

Subaru's CVTs are one of the best - it feels very much like a conventional auto without any of the typical CVT whine. Nissan, Hyundai, Toyota, and especially Honda have some way in catching up in their CVT trannies.

1.2L turbo still underpowered? But there are so many people buy 1.2L version qashqai? 

2 hours ago, zyjd said:

I was just thinking out loud. But I have to totally agree -  Subaru Forester is just so nice. Masculine and rugged looking too. Fuel consumption is another story though. Also, I heard the boxer engine isn't that good? I don't know, only sat in them before and not owning one. 

Why Hybrid? Saves fuel and the quietness of the cabin. Just a thought la. Hehehe...

1 hour ago, Elotex said:

Agreed. The current model actually makes my head turn. Really. For a moment, I was like: "Is that a Nissan?"... Lol. 

47 minutes ago, zyjd said:

I also think so. 1.2L Turbo doesn't necessarily equate to being able to support the car overall tonnage.

Just curious -  the Latio doesn't uses the same gear/engine as the current makes of Nissan? I have 3 friends who drove Latio -  all gear box had the same problem: loss of power, cannot go past 70km/h. 

Edited by thorzguy

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

1.2L turbo still underpowered? But there are so many people buy 1.2L version qashqai? 

And many complain...

vroom vroom

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

let me show you some facts and figures:

Model vs Power vs Torque

1.2l Nissan Qashqai: 114bhp/165Nm

1.2l Toyota C-HR: 114bhp/185Nm

1.0l Ford Focus: 123bhp/170Nm

1.2l Peugeot 308: 129bhp/230Nm

1.4l Hyundai i30: 138bhp/242Nm

1.0l Volkswagen Golf: 109bhp/200Nm

1.5l Civic Turbo: 170bhp/220Nm

1.6l Mercedes-Benz A180: 122bhp/200Nm

*most of the above cars are around the same weight as the 1.2l QQ (1,325kg), except the lightweight i30 (1,240kg) and Golf (1,257kg), featherweight 308 (1,150kg), and overweight C-HR (1,470kg)

As you can see from the above, the QQ has the lowest power and torque numbers for a 1.2l car. The Golf may have the lowest amount of power but it compensates for its high torque, which is useful for when you want to pull away quickly at the traffic lights. Also, the QQ uses a CVT which results in a bit of power loss. Go test drive one, and you will find that you don't get any reaction from the car when you floor the throttle from a standstill. The turbo only kicks in a while later, and even then, it's rather feeble.

2 hours ago, thorzguy said:

I heard the boxer engine isn't that good? I don't know, only sat in them before and not owning one. 

Why Hybrid? Saves fuel and the quietness of the cabin. Just a thought la. Hehehe...

boxer engine isn't good in what sense? Haha. Boxer engines provide a smoother power delivery, but the downsides are more costly maintenance fees and lousier fuel consumption. Hybrids aren't viable if you aren't a high mileage driver because most models incur a rebate from the government (a good portion of which actually goes straight into the dealer's pockets) and are costlier to purchase (leading to higher OMVs). As such, it is priced significantly higher than a similarly sized car. For e.g., the Corolla Altis costs $96,988, while the Prius hybrid costs $152,988. Thats a difference of $56,000 more! Can you, in 10 years, save $56,000 worth of fuel? And that's just on the car price alone; the annual depreciation for the Corolla Altis is about $8,800 per annum, compared to the $13,700 per annum for the Prius.

So yes, hybrids are fuel sippers and have a very quiet cabin, but these days, normal cars also have admirably quiet cabins. :)

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Quashqai design consider sleek although i find the car looks big.

Somehow I also find the Quashqai looks bigger than the H-RV and the C-HR although it has a smaller engine.

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Turbo is just like taking steroid.  Overtime, it will wear out and harm the body. (or engine)

Don't read and response to guests' post

4 hours ago, Elotex said:

Actually, among the SUVs, IMO the Volk Tiguan size is just right for me.

23 hours ago, zyjd said:

boxer engine isn't good in what sense? Haha. Boxer engines provide a smoother power delivery, but the downsides are more costly maintenance fees and lousier fuel consumption. Hybrids aren't viable if you aren't a high mileage driver because most models incur a rebate from the government (a good portion of which actually goes straight into the dealer's pockets) and are costlier to purchase (leading to higher OMVs). As such, it is priced significantly higher than a similarly sized car. For e.g., the Corolla Altis costs $96,988, while the Prius hybrid costs $152,988. Thats a difference of $56,000 more! Can you, in 10 years, save $56,000 worth of fuel? And that's just on the car price alone; the annual depreciation for the Corolla Altis is about $8,800 per annum, compared to the $13,700 per annum for the Prius.

So yes, hybrids are fuel sippers and have a very quiet cabin, but these days, normal cars also have admirably quiet cabins. :)

Just a thought la. I didn't go into the specs and details of it, that much. Unless I have real intention to change, get one then I will start doing my homework.

Thanks dude! So kind of you to enlighten most of us. :)

Edited by thorzguy

7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Tiguan design and size is nice. I find CX5 also nice looking SUV. If compared qashqai 2.0l with XV 2.0l, which one is better?

CX5 front fascia very complex IMO... So much details and all if you look closely with how they play around with chrome.

I think parts availability, Qashqai better cz a lot on the road compared to XV. I've seen XV less than 10 times on the road. Again, this is just from one aspect which is maintenance. 

vroom vroom

On 5/3/2018 at 5:44 PM, thorzguy said:

Just curious -  the Latio doesn't uses the same gear/engine as the current makes of Nissan? I have 3 friends who drove Latio -  all gear box had the same problem: loss of power, cannot go past 70km/h.

Nissan's older CVT and 4sp auto gearboxes had some problems that came with age; these gearboxes were used in the Latio, Sylphy, and Cefiro. A common problem for the 4sp auto would be not getting any reaction from the gearbox when shifting from P to D on a cold start. And yes, power loss during mid-range acceleration was common too, especially in the CVT gearboxes used by the Latio. These problems were resolved by the introduction of the Xtronic CVT launched sometime in 2010 - and now all the Nissan models (except the GT-R) use the Xtronic CVT gearboxes.

On 5/3/2018 at 8:58 PM, LeanMature said:

Turbo is just like taking steroid.  Overtime, it will wear out and harm the body. (or engine)

My take is in Singapore, you only drive the car for at most 10 years (unless you want to renew COE). The engines can definitely withstand the additional wear caused by the turbo for the first 10 years, lah. I mean, look at the Sonata/i40/Latitude/Epica taxis - all of they are turbocharged and clock colossal mileages, but their engines are (mostly) still ok even at the 7th year with proper care given to it during its lifetime.

3 hours ago, thorzguy said:

Just a thought la. I didn't go into the specs and details of it, that much. Unless I have real intention to change, get one then I will start doing my homework.

Thanks dude! So kind of you to enlighten most of us. :)

no lah, I enjoy talking about cars and going down to the math of why some cars are priced as such, etc. Always happy to help. :)

1 hour ago, Elotex said:

I think parts availability, Qashqai better cz a lot on the road compared to XV. I've seen XV less than 10 times on the road. Again, this is just from one aspect which is maintenance. 

Coz XV costs slightly more than its bigger and better looking brother the Forester. The drive of the XV is quite unspectacular, tbh. Just feels like a slightly raised hatchback that's quite lacking in power. Haha.

21 hours ago, zyjd said:

My take is in Singapore, you only drive the car for at most 10 years (unless you want to renew COE). The engines can definitely withstand the additional wear caused by the turbo for the first 10 years, lah. I mean, look at the Sonata/i40/Latitude/Epica taxis - all of they are turbocharged and clock colossal mileages, but their engines are (mostly) still ok even at the 7th year with proper care given to it during its lifetime.

So not advisable to buy turbocharged car after 10 years ?  I mean those small turbocharged engine.

2 hours ago, Elotex said:

Saw the new Camry near my place just now when I was on my way back... Damn hemsem eh...

That one is PI haha. Borneo Motors need to clear the current Camry inventory before they can start selling the new model.

If want to buy Camry, can consider Mark X too. The 2019 facelift has very Lexus-esque headlamps and an overall nicer (imo) design than the matured-looking Camry.

29 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

So not advisable to buy turbocharged car after 10 years ?  I mean those small turbocharged engine.

Not necessarily, lah. The turbocharging technology has been around for more than 30 years already... so it's quite stable in terms of reliability.

But I wouldn't advise anyone to get a COE car anyway. :)

Guest Guest
On 5/4/2018 at 11:08 PM, zyjd said:

Nissan's older CVT and 4sp auto gearboxes had some problems that came with age; these gearboxes were used in the Latio, Sylphy, and Cefiro. A common problem for the 4sp auto would be not getting any reaction from the gearbox when shifting from P to D on a cold start. And yes, power loss during mid-range acceleration was common too, especially in the CVT gearboxes used by the Latio. These problems were resolved by the introduction of the Xtronic CVT launched sometime in 2010 - and now all the Nissan models (except the GT-R) use the Xtronic CVT gearboxes.

no lah, I enjoy talking about cars and going down to the math of why some cars are priced as such, etc. Always happy to help. :)

Coz XV costs slightly more than its bigger and better looking brother the Forester. The drive of the XV is quite unspectacular, tbh. Just feels like a slightly raised hatchback that's quite lacking in power. Haha.

Don't understand why XV costs more than Forester? What you mean the drive is unspectacular? Now XV comes in 2.0l, if compared with Forester, which one is better in overall?

22 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Don't understand why XV costs more than Forester? What you mean the drive is unspectacular? Now XV comes in 2.0l, if compared with Forester, which one is better in overall?

This is because the factory in Japan gives discounts to Motor Image Enterprise (MIE) for all the Foresters sold. As such, the OMV for the Forester is strangely low for a car its size and class. Think they are trying to push the Forester as it is an outgoing model and also to incentivize MIE to help them do so. Plus it's also a way to reward the dealer for selling the car pretty well.

The factory didn't give any discounts or rebates to MIE for the XV, so the OMV is roughly the same as the Forester.

Hope that answers! :)

6 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Will car price drop or go up soon?

If I knew the answer I'd play around with the lottery every day. :)

But if you're asking about a prediction, I think COE might continue dropping in the coming months, especially after July when many cars will have their VES banding changed.

Guest Guest
6 minutes ago, zyjd said:

But if you're asking about a prediction, I think COE might continue dropping in the coming months, especially after July when many cars will have their VES banding changed.

Why?

Is it because cars will be taxed more and less subsidy? Resulting in less pple buying?

Guest Guest
15 hours ago, justanotherme said:

In terms of SUV, I prefer Harrier or X--trail. Seats of x-trail are nice and comfortable. Harrier performance and fc are considered good.

Sedan wise, i am quite ah pek. I like camry.

I sat in X trial before, very stable and comfortable.

18 hours ago, justanotherme said:

In terms of SUV, I prefer Harrier or X--trail. Seats of x-trail are nice and comfortable. Harrier performance and fc are considered good.

Sedan wise, i am quite ah pek. I like camry.

Hahaa... You are not alone. 

Correction -  mature, not ah pek, :p

• 1 month later...
Guest John
41 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

U think SG carforum will have this topic ?? 

COE dropped so much....you think more people will buy?

Guest Guest
On 5/8/2018 at 2:22 PM, zyjd said:

Do you think the reduced COE will lay for a few months till the cars expo fair in ?Oct or ?nov or it will go up again next month? Wondering whether to wait till the car expos before getting one. Hmmm. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.