Male HQ

Everything in SG is so Expensive!

Guest Guest

Cost of living in SG is downright expensive!! Just read from news that SG is charging the Malaysian govt RM$3.5million for parking charges for a very small plane for 18months.. This is outrages and too much. Its left in the open sun and not covered. This works out to about sg$65k a month!!!! Or more than $2000a day!  How did SG come up with this charge? This will turn of many investors as cost is very important!!! This type of charge is not business friendly!!!!

Sg should be promoting good relations with our closest neighbour and not be so stingy and money minded!

Guest Neh Neh
59 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Cost of living in SG is downright expensive!! Just read from news that SG is charging the Malaysian govt RM$3.5million for parking charges for a very small plane for 18months.. This is outrages and too much. Its left in the open sun and not covered. This works out to about sg$65k a month!!!! Or more than $2000a day!  How did SG come up with this charge? This will turn of many investors as cost is very important!!! This type of charge is not business friendly!!!!

Sg should be promoting good relations with our closest neighbour and not be so stingy and money minded!

Sg is meant for the "Crazy Rich Asians". It is even in the movie. To the crazy rich asians S$2k is like S$2.

7 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Cost of living?

Parking charges for an aeroplane?

Studio_20171227_162653.png.fb491887240e9ca45c249b0a0060d875.png

55 minutes ago, Nipoet said:

Cost of living?

Parking charges for an aeroplane?

Studio_20171227_162653.png.fb491887240e9ca45c249b0a0060d875.png

I sense your irony there heheheheheh.... talking about cost of living like some regular joe on the road then the scene jump to a private plane. Holding that up as a spanking down to earth example for the regular folks on the street. LOL

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

All this talk of expensive this... and that... just rolls of the back of the ruling elite,

Looking back at a statement made in Parliament by :

MP - Amy Khor  "... as much as any new citizen could pack up and leave Singapore,

so could any other Singaporean."

Talk is cheap, right... only cost is your saliva.

Just look at the impact of govt housing on SINGLES as a point that will impact on the gays, 

whom are mostly SINGLE.

When your old flat is taken over for example SERS, even though you have a larger unit i.e. 4 or 5-Room

you will not be entitled to a replacement  unit of the same type, because YOU ARE A SINGLE!!

and only qualify to have a 1 ro 2 room direct from the hdb!!  SO SCREWED !!

You are effectively denied having an extra room to rent out to support having a source of income

in your old age, or a room for your caregiver to sleep in.

Another thing, just for conversations sake, both my elderly parents pay the maximum tier for their

insurance plan.... however even though their health is so bad, they cannot get payout from the 

so called eldershield... even having stroke , cancer, heart condition, diabetes ...etc,  could not get

the lousy $400 !!!  KNN!! 

They will bleed your  medisave with so much premiums... but do not pay when needed... !

So the LGBT's need to think wisely who you Vote in the next time!! 

It is not that I'm venting ... this is REAL guys.

Peace, Mike    :- ( 

6 hours ago, suckmegood said:

Try parking your car in Perth, then we talk about the cost of parking ya. 人不出去走走,以为世界很小。躲在键盘后面当英雄。

Australia has no coe to pay please. Somemore, you have to pay in addition to coe, season parking etc here too. Still much much cheaper in Australia and you almost won't find many countries with a more expensive car than here. Period.

35 minutes ago, mike_amk said:

All this talk of expensive this... and that... just rolls of the back of the ruling elite,

Looking back at a statement made in Parliament by :

MP - Amy Khor  "... as much as any new citizen could pack up and leave Singapore,

so could any other Singaporean."

Talk is cheap, right... only cost is your saliva.

Just look at the impact of govt housing on SINGLES as a point that will impact on the gays, 

whom are mostly SINGLE.

When your old flat is taken over for example SERS, even though you have a larger unit i.e. 4 or 5-Room

you will not be entitled to a replacement  unit of the same type, because YOU ARE A SINGLE!!

and only qualify to have a 1 ro 2 room direct from the hdb!!  SO SCREWED !!

You are effectively denied having an extra room to rent out to support having a source of income

in your old age, or a room for your caregiver to sleep in.

Another thing, just for conversations sake, both my elderly parents pay the maximum tier for their

insurance plan.... however even though their health is so bad, they cannot get payout from the 

so called eldershield... even having stroke , cancer, heart condition, diabetes ...etc,  could not get

the lousy $400 !!!  KNN!! 

They will bleed your  medisave with so much premiums... but do not pay when needed... !

So the LGBT's need to think wisely who you Vote in the next time!! 

It is not that I'm venting ... this is REAL guys.

Peace, Mike    :- ( 

Please ask your oppo politicians standing in your ward are they pro gay or not hor...some are hardcore anti gay.

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Please ask your oppo politicians standing in your ward are they pro gay or not hor...some are hardcore anti gay.

I am indeed rather amused by your response... I have absolutely no need for you or anyone

to try and tell me what to ask the politicians concerned.... You may ask them yourself.

You missed the broader point, it shortchanges ALL SINGLES , gay or otherwise.

I was just using the gay angle as we are on the  BW Forum as you are aware.

I am merely seeking to raise the awareness on this issue...

what you choose to DO or DON'T DO is entirely your prerogative.

LGBT groups need to have a consolidated push to any political party... oppo as well !!

Greater dialogue needs to be tabled on the basic rights in order to move forward.

Petty bickering is a waste of time.... you hide in the shadows.. and write.. says a lot... LOL

Cheers!

Guest Awkwakina
4 hours ago, Guest Blank said:

Australia has no coe to pay please. Somemore, you have to pay in addition to coe, season parking etc here too. Still much much cheaper in Australia and you almost won't find many countries with a more expensive car than here. Period.

You obviously havent lived in Australia .

The income taxes in Aus tralia  is so much higher in Aus than Singapore, in order to support a medical welfare and unemployment  benefit and all kinds of support given to drug addicts, teen pregnancies , single mothers and bogans and winos( Alcoholic) . 

You get your monthly salaries are tax deducted and superannuation deducted before you received your monthly nett salary. Salaries are higher in Aus becos hourly wages are higher . But if you live in Sydney , Melbourne , Brisbane, a two income family husband and wife working, close to 55-65 % of salaries goes to paying housing mortage.  Therefore many households with wife and children to feed, faces high mortage stress and anxiety. Cannot use superannuation to buy house or flat like Spore CPF. 

Most young people without parental help have given up hope of buying a home and just rent all their lives becos they  cannot save up even enough fir the first 30% cash upfront deposit to banks to buy houses.  Bank mortage interest rates in Australia can be 5% to 8 % depending on which party comes to power. DO u even know how much Singapore housing loan is so much lower and strictly controlled by govt to make housing affordable.

Do you know in winter , your electrical and gas bills go up astronomically to heat homes to  a comfortable temperature so you dont fall sick. In Australia , your GP Do not dispense medicine . You need to bring prescriptoin to a separate pharmacy to fill the prescription. It can be a 5 mile drive between GP and pharmacy. Medical claims are tedious . Falling sick in winter in Australia can be fatal. 200 people die of flu in winter in Sydney last winter.

DONT make it as though Australia is paradise.

You get obvious racial discrimination.

Supermarket checkout staff in lowly position will even want yo bully Asians and get away with it

1 hour ago, mike_amk said:

I am indeed rather amused by your response... I have absolutely no need for you or anyone

to try and tell me what to ask the politicians concerned.... You may ask them yourself.

You missed the broader point, it shortchanges ALL SINGLES , gay or otherwise.

I was just using the gay angle as we are on the  BW Forum as you are aware.

I am merely seeking to raise the awareness on this issue...

what you choose to DO or DON'T DO is entirely your prerogative.

LGBT groups need to have a consolidated push to any political party... oppo as well !!

Greater dialogue needs to be tabled on the basic rights in order to move forward.

Petty bickering is a waste of time.... you hide in the shadows.. and write.. says a lot... LOL

Cheers!

You also hide in shadow leh...you will live to 134 years old meh? Studio may cost less than 100k..you dun wan good! More chances for others!

Also hor, you urge lgbt to vote oppo...i tell you to ask the oppo who will contest in your area if he anti gay...legit what...you rather vote a hardcore anti gay person just becos he stand against pap? 

Also your parents...you say pay maximium tier for insurence....what age they buy? Before or after declared medical issue? So moral of story ah boy is to buy early...the later you buy more $$..this is the same across the world....use your brain lah.

3 minutes ago, mike_amk said:

Oops... forgot, to not feed the Trolls... LOL   :doh:

Ah boy...dun like that...what trolls? That justin timberlake cartoon is it? Tell you the truth you dun wan to listen..dun wan to listen nevermind but at least go and read to know how you can monetize your hdb when you old besides renting a room to strangers..

Want to create awareness is good you know...but you should also tell the whole truth and not half truths...like what you said about your parents paying 'MAXIMIUM TIER' for their insurence policy...what age they buy? Before of after health issues, why you angry they cannit get $400? Ah boy..insurence do not work this way leh..

You urge lgbt groups to have consolidated push...its good..but also must be smart lah..lucky you are not leader of lgbt group otherwise we die liao....lgbt groups are smarter than you...they know they will not support any oppo politicians just becos they are against PAP..there are many many many anti lgbtqi oppo politicians out there hor...

Also dont be childish...you say dun feed trolls...must grow up lah...you behave like spoilt princess...you say want to create awareness..I am simply telling you to know facts before stomping your feet..

Also please please please do not apply for studio flat which cost less money..i know of friends bought a 99 year singles flat for aboyt $80k...after paying downpayment and cpf, his loan was about $30k plus..only...you dun wan good...others have more chance...

Ah boy...must grow up lah....cannot expect others to spoonfeed you so much...you must plan for your future and see which scheme suits you..

It is inevitable that costs of living will go up in big cities. For Singapore, with a limited land mass, there is only so many buildings we can build, so many roads, and so many cars to keep the economy and environment sustainable. Imagine if there is no COE, then every one who can afford a car can buy one. Next thing you know, everyone will be complaining about the traffic jams and the lack of clean air. Some people will have their health affected due to to air pollution etc. You spend 2 hours on the road every day, 1 hour just stuck in traffic, the other crawling away. Then you got to go figure out about parking space etc. 

Love. 

Sg cost can be hig in some areas.

Not all is cheap in Msia. In cities like KL:

1 plate of rice RM6+

1 carton milk RM6+

1 movie ticket Sat night RM17

1 public pool entry RM2-3

1 McD meal RM12

Dollar to dollar many items are more expensive. You cant imagine burden to ordinary ppl like a teacher, clerk etc.

Guest Justice

Tbh, I don't find the basic necessities in Sg are that costly. Only those superficial and luxurious items like cars, fine dining and condo are costly. But too bad, there are many haolian people in this country. The rich and the not so rich ones, all want to buy. Price keep jacking up. Kelian the poorer ones.

2 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Standard of living in Singapore has gone up tremendously. Just 2years ago, I can survive with $12 on breakfast, lunch and dinner. Now, $15 may not be enough! 

I cannot imagine how much more prices will go up in the next 2-3years! :wacko:

Can lah...last timr we eat basic plate of chicken rice...now we eat chicken rice, we also add bbq pork and egg.

Guest Crazy Rich Asians Unreal

I just saw this movie Crazy Rich Asians..our tourism board is so excitee about this movie as it was set in Singapore.

After watching this movie, I am so dissapointed and disgusted. Instead of making this movie about the lives of Singaporeans, this movie showcased the excesses of Singapore and the rich. Where are the normal Singaporeans living in HDB, while we Singaporeans are struggling to survive, this movie paints us as very rich. This will tell overseas people a very different reality of the extremely stressed and pressured Singaporeans.

I felt the Government wasted this chance to showcase the strong singaporeans, the struggles of the working class, the pressures our children are facing in the terrible education system, the elderly being forced to work as cardboard sellers or cleaners..instead the government prefers to tell the world we are all crazy rich.

I now have to explain to my overseas friends that we do not live like that. That we faces pressures atvwork just to eat 3 meal a day.

I strongly urge such movies should not be made in Singapore anymore, if any movie wants ti be filmed in Singapore, it must showcase the real lives of our courage Singaporean brothers and sisters.

I will rate this movie 1 out of 5.

Guest Foreigner

I am a foreigner living in Singapore. I have lived and worked in many other cities including Melb, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, London, NY, HK and KL. If you exclude owning an condo or house and car, cost of living in Singapore is cheap! For the Singaporeans who can buy HDB, you r so much better off than other cities in the world. Why do you need a car in Singapore when transportation network is so good and cheap?! Honestly... be happy with what the Government has done for you guys in Singapore .... and stop complaining!

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:27 AM, Guest Awkwakina said:

You obviously havent lived in Australia .

The income taxes in Aus tralia  is so much higher in Aus than Singapore, in order to support a medical welfare and unemployment  benefit and all kinds of support given to drug addicts, teen pregnancies , single mothers and bogans and winos( Alcoholic) . 

You get your monthly salaries are tax deducted and superannuation deducted before you received your monthly nett salary. Salaries are higher in Aus becos hourly wages are higher . But if you live in Sydney , Melbourne , Brisbane, a two income family husband and wife working, close to 55-65 % of salaries goes to paying housing mortage.  Therefore many households with wife and children to feed, faces high mortage stress and anxiety. Cannot use superannuation to buy house or flat like Spore CPF. 

Most young people without parental help have given up hope of buying a home and just rent all their lives becos they  cannot save up even enough fir the first 30% cash upfront deposit to banks to buy houses.  Bank mortage interest rates in Australia can be 5% to 8 % depending on which party comes to power. DO u even know how much Singapore housing loan is so much lower and strictly controlled by govt to make housing affordable.

Do you know in winter , your electrical and gas bills go up astronomically to heat homes to  a comfortable temperature so you dont fall sick. In Australia , your GP Do not dispense medicine . You need to bring prescriptoin to a separate pharmacy to fill the prescription. It can be a 5 mile drive between GP and pharmacy. Medical claims are tedious . Falling sick in winter in Australia can be fatal. 200 people die of flu in winter in Sydney last winter.

DONT make it as though Australia is paradise.

You get obvious racial discrimination.

Supermarket checkout staff in lowly position will even want yo bully Asians and get away with it

Do you think Singapore is really any better?? 

Our income taxes here in Sg may be lower, but 20% of our employEE's  salaries gets siphoned into the CPF. Do take note I referred to the employEE's salary, and not that for the employER. And guess what? This CPF deduction is done on a monthly basis as well, on top of all the INCOME TAXES that we have to pay at the end of the Financial Year. So why are you complaining about your deduction of your taxes on a monthly basis out from your already higher salary? You mean you didn't know that we have to deduct an even higher percentage of out from our miserable salary on a monthly basis as well?

Don't tell me that the CPF is our own money. Because it is not. And yes, we are allowed to use our CPF on housing. But I'd rather keep that cash and have the options to do more things with it myself!

And while you think a two income family husband and wife working and living in Sydney , Melbourne , Brisbane will fork out close to 55-65 % of salaries goes to paying housing montage, what makes you so sure that a husband and wife in Sg is not doing that?

While you think most young people in Australia without parental help have given up hope of buying a home and just rent all their lives becos they  cannot save up even enough fir the first 30% cash upfront deposit to banks to buy houses, what makes you think most singles in Sg are not renting or living with their parents? In Melbourne, you might even be able to get yourself a studio apartment for $200,000. In Sg, you need to fit loads of criteria first, e.g. single and above 35 years old and below a certain income, or married, before you can even get a unit like that from government housing.

Please don't tell us that Singapore housing loan is so much lower and strictly controlled by govt to make housing affordable. This is a whole load of baloney. You so obviously don't know what you are talking about. Our housing loan is cheaper at this moment of time because the loan rates are tied to the situation in the USA, because many of our foreign banks are based there. If you think mortgagee interest rates in Australia is high at 5% to 8%, do you know that our mortgagee interest rates has ever hit double digits before?

In Australia, medical claims may be tedious. But at least, you can even claim medical. In Sg, you don't have much medical claims to fill out, because you are on your own!

DONT make it as though Singapore is paradise.

You get obvious discrimination, because even companies are happy to employ anyone else except Singaporeans.

2 hours ago, Guest Foreigner said:

I am a foreigner living in Singapore. I have lived and worked in many other cities including Melb, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, London, NY, HK and KL. If you exclude owning an condo or house and car, cost of living in Singapore is cheap! For the Singaporeans who can buy HDB, you r so much better off than other cities in the world. Why do you need a car in Singapore when transportation network is so good and cheap?! Honestly... be happy with what the Government has done for you guys in Singapore .... and stop complaining!

LOL!

7 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Do you think Singapore is really any better?? 

Our income taxes here in Sg may be lower, but 20% of our employEE's  salaries gets siphoned into the CPF. Do take note I referred to the employEE's salary, and not that for the employER. And guess what? This CPF deduction is done on a monthly basis as well, on top of all the INCOME TAXES that we have to pay at the end of the Financial Year. So why are you complaining about your deduction of your taxes on a monthly basis out from your already higher salary? You mean you didn't know that we have to deduct an even higher percentage of out from our miserable salary on a monthly basis as well?

Don't tell me that the CPF is our own money. Because it is not. And yes, we are allowed to use our CPF on housing. But I'd rather keep that cash and have the options to do more things with it myself!

And while you think a two income family husband and wife working and living in Sydney , Melbourne , Brisbane will fork out close to 55-65 % of salaries goes to paying housing montage, what makes you so sure that a husband and wife in Sg is not doing that?

While you think most young people in Australia without parental help have given up hope of buying a home and just rent all their lives becos they  cannot save up even enough fir the first 30% cash upfront deposit to banks to buy houses, what makes you think most singles in Sg are not renting or living with their parents? In Melbourne, you might even be able to get yourself a studio apartment for $200,000. In Sg, you need to fit loads of criteria first, e.g. single and above 35 years old and below a certain income, or married, before you can even get a unit like that from government housing.

Please don't tell us that Singapore housing loan is so much lower and strictly controlled by govt to make housing affordable. This is a whole load of baloney. You so obviously don't know what you are talking about. Our housing loan is cheaper at this moment of time because the loan rates are tied to the situation in the USA, because many of our foreign banks are based there. If you think mortgagee interest rates in Australia is high at 5% to 8%, do you know that our mortgagee interest rates has ever hit double digits before?

In Australia, medical claims may be tedious. But at least, you can even claim medical. In Sg, you don't have much medical claims to fill out, because you are on your own!

DONT make it as though Singapore is paradise.

You get obvious discrimination, because even companies are happy to employ anyone else except Singaporeans.

Singapore is paradise but aint the hellhole you describe girl!

Which company discrimates against singaporeans in employment? Name 1 please.

Guest Tomato
11 hours ago, Guest Crazy Rich Asians Unreal said:

I just saw this movie Crazy Rich Asians..our tourism board is so excitee about this movie as it was set in Singapore.

After watching this movie, I am so dissapointed and disgusted. Instead of making this movie about the lives of Singaporeans, this movie showcased the excesses of Singapore and the rich. Where are the normal Singaporeans living in HDB, while we Singaporeans are struggling to survive, this movie paints us as very rich. This will tell overseas people a very different reality of the extremely stressed and pressured Singaporeans.

I felt the Government wasted this chance to showcase the strong singaporeans, the struggles of the working class, the pressures our children are facing in the terrible education system, the elderly being forced to work as cardboard sellers or cleaners..instead the government prefers to tell the world we are all crazy rich.

I now have to explain to my overseas friends that we do not live like that. That we faces pressures atvwork just to eat 3 meal a day.

I strongly urge such movies should not be made in Singapore anymore, if any movie wants ti be filmed in Singapore, it must showcase the real lives of our courage Singaporean brothers and sisters.

I will rate this movie 1 out of 5.

This is capitalism. Your government has decided to adopt this model and the majority of the people agreed (unaware) with this model.

In this model of capitalism, those who has it have it all; those who don't can aspire and decidedly work harder.  If one fails, then he is a loser.

No too ways about.

Or some of you (unaware) and secretly wished for socialism, where everything is equal?

Guest Tomato
4 hours ago, Guest Foreigner said:

Indeed.  
Singapore is a 'developed nation'.  If one compares with countries of this league, goods in Singapore are really not expensive.  In fact, they (prices of food in restaurants, taxi fare, clothes) are considered cheap.

That's the problem with Singaporeans.  One wants to earn the Singaporean wage but wants the prices of goods of those in Malaysia or Thailand.

Why not earn the Sporean wage and buy goods from Denmark?

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Singapore is paradise but aint the hellhole you describe girl!

Which company discrimates against singaporeans in employment? Name 1 please.

Is Australia the hellhole you made it out to be? Bitch!

https://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/press-releases/2013/mom-takes-action-against-10-more-companies-for-discriminatory-job-advertisements

https://www.humanresourcesonline.net/unfair-hiring-practices-top-type-complaints-received-mom-tafep/

4 hours ago, Guest Foreigner said:

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

LOL!

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Thats true. Why lol?

You so obviously have not taken Singapore public transportation for a long time now. 2 SMRT CEOs have stepped down in a period of 6 years, and a Minister of Transport quitting his million dollar job after just one term. People who knows nothing of Singapore shouldn't post anything about the country at all!

7 hours ago, Guest Foreigner said:

Guess being a foreigner, you are not aware of the details of HDB. It's not buy, its rent, the twist is you pay the 99 years rent in advance and the lease is transferable, also the cost of long termed 99 years lease of a BTO HDB can be more expensive than a similar (Freehold strata) flat in the suburb of Melbourne or Brisbane, remember its renting here not buying. if you break any of their lease conditions they have the right to take your HDB back. You even have to pay annual property tax on the rented HDB flat that don't actually belongs to you and its monthly maintenance levies. Also gays are not qualified for more than a 1 bedroom apartment, only after you reach 35yo. After 40 years it will start to devalue and at the end of lease, it will be worth nothing, after you have paid a few hundreds of thousands for it, with the real capital gains "Absorbed" by the authority.  Also you will not get $160k of your CPF back when you retire, yes you get some back monthly about a $1K.  Yes taxes are abit higher in countries like Australia, but you get mostly free medical covered by their Medicare, here you pay with your own CPF savings and medical here are not cheap, its just they deduct it from your medisave portion of you CPF saving, making it feel like cheap as you don't pay out of your own pocket, provided you have sufficient funds in your medisave account. Also, in most countries, they have retirement benefits after they contributed to their economy, in Australia its now at $375 per week, here you get nothing! only your saving to fall back on. Transport is cheaper relative to countries like Australia, but there are only standing room the best of times, forget peak hours, one have to wait 3 to 4 trains before your turn to board.  Correct food is cheap, but you get half the serve and nothing much but cheap carb. If you want real nutritious food in sufficient qualtity, you pay more than what they pay in Australia, remember the average wage for a low wage worker here is less the half to a third of that of Australia. To a foreigner on high wage, it all looks sweet. But for a local low wage worker, its an entirely different story.

Edited by Fit4Masc

28 minutes ago, Guest Tomato said:

Indeed.  
Singapore is a 'developed nation'.  If one compares with countries of this league, goods in Singapore are really not expensive.  In fact, they (prices of food in restaurants, taxi fare, clothes) are considered cheap.

That's the problem with Singaporeans.  One wants to earn the Singaporean wage but wants the prices of goods of those in Malaysia or Thailand.

Why not earn the Sporean wage and buy goods from Denmark?

lol you are so right. be content la ppl. but the way to be content is to have more perspective. travel more travel more. stretch a bit to travel but don't stress urself to travel k.

21 minutes ago, Fit4Masc said:

Guess being a foreigner, you are not aware of the details of HDB. It's not buy, its rent, the twist is you pay the 99 years rent in advance and the lease is transferable, if you break any of their lease conditions they have the right to take your HDB back. You even have to pay annual property tax on the rented HDB flat that don't actually belongs to you and its monthly maintenance levies. Also gays are not qualified for more than a 1 bedroom apartment, only after you reach 35yo. After 40 years it will start to devalue and at the end of lease, it will be worth nothing, after you have paid a few hundreds of thousands for it, with the real capital gain swallowed by the authority.  Also you will not get $160k of your CPF back when you retire, yes you get some back monthly about a $1K.  Yes taxes are abit higher in countries like Australia, but you get mostly free medical covered by their Medicare, here you pay with your own CPF savings and medical here are not cheap, its just they deduct it from you saving making it feel like cheap as you don't pay our of your own pocket, if you have sufficient funds in your medisave account. Also, in most countries, they have retirement benefits after they contributed to their economy, here you get nothing! only your saving to fall back on. Transport is cheaper relative to countries like Australia, but there are only standing room the best of times, forget peak hours, one have to wait 3 to 4 trains before your turn to board.  Correct food is cheap, but you get half the serve and nothing much but cheap carb. If you want real nutritious food, you pay more than what they pay in Australia, remember the average wage for a low wage worker here is less the half to a third of that of Australia. To a foreigner on high wage, it all looks sweet. But being a local low wage worker, its an entirely different story.

Yes, you are right. Even the so-called cheaper food is basically just carbo and in very small portion. Very often, with two to three gulps, I would have finished all the noodles as it is so little and the ingredients are 3 fishballs and a few miserable fishcakes. For a single person, we don't get much grant from the government unlike married couple and we can only get to buy a HDB flat at the age of 35 or older. As of now, the full CPF retirement sum is $171,000 and will increase by about $5000 yearly and we can only get about $1300 per month after age 65. If we do not live beyond that, we will never get the chance to use the money and it will go to our family members who will enjoy our fruits of labour, while criticising us for not getting married. Though we have good public transportation system, but we have to squeeze with lots of people in the MRT or buses in the sweltering heat which can be quite unbearable. You may say in Japan they also squeeze like sardines but at least they have cool weather most of the time. It is definitely very expensive to live in Singapore and is getting worse as the years go by.

Guest richbf
4 minutes ago, bluerunner said:

Today he is your bf, tomorrow he may be someone’s lover. 

1 minute ago, Fit4Masc said:

Wrong.... today he is your bf. this afternoon he already screwing someone else LOL

lol then blame the person for getting into relationship without knowing the person well enough

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:14 PM, suckmegood said:

Try parking your car in Perth, then we talk about the cost of parking ya. 人不出去走走,以为世界很小。躲在键盘后面当英雄。

https://www.cityofperthparking.com.au/parking-fees

Kerbside Parking

Central City, River Foreshore - Cars $5.00 per hour or part thereof (minimum $2 payment) - Mon-Sat 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except where otherwise stated.

Central City, River Foreshore - Motorcycles $2.00 per hour - Mon-Sat 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except where otherwise stated.

Northbridge - Cars $4.20 per hour or part thereof (minimum $2 payment) - Mon-Sat 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except where otherwise stated.

Northbridge - Motorcycles $2.00 per hour - Mon-Sat 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except where otherwise stated.

West Perth - Cars $4.10 per hour or part thereof (minimum $2 payment) - Mon-Sat 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except where otherwise stated.

West Perth - Motorcycles $2.00 per hour - Mon-Sat 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except where otherwise stated.

East Perth - Cars $3.80 per hour or part thereof (minimum $2 payment) - Mon-Sat 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except where otherwise stated.

East Perth - Motorcycles $2.00 per hour - Mon-Sat 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except where otherwise stated.

Crawley / Nedlands - Cars $2.00 per hour or part thereof - 10 hours $13.50 - Mon-Fri 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. except where otherwise stated.

You know our rates can indeed be higher than those listed up there, right?

Whining and complaining about the high prices is not going to magically make things cheaper. You can whine and bitch all day but the prices won't come down since you are not in control of the price charged. 

You cannot change what the hawker stall is charging for the portion they serve since it is not your store. However you can change what you choose to eat by going to a different hawker store where the portion and price meets your demand, or bring your own food. 

No one owes you a living, and you are not entitled to anything beyond what is given to you by your parents, family, friends etc. Costs of living are not going to come down simply because you whine and complain that it is beyond your reach. 

Love. 

44 minutes ago, doncoin said:

Whining and complaining about the high prices is not going to magically make things cheaper. You can whine and bitch all day but the prices won't come down since you are not in control of the price charged. 

You cannot change what the hawker stall is charging for the portion they serve since it is not your store. However you can change what you choose to eat by going to a different hawker store where the portion and price meets your demand, or bring your own food. 

No one owes you a living, and you are not entitled to anything beyond what is given to you by your parents, family, friends etc. Costs of living are not going to come down simply because you whine and complain that it is beyond your reach. 

Hello! Wake up! The powers that be can always instruct whats the max people like hawkers can charge! They can always instruct the max price merchants can charge locals if they want to do business in singapore. Its not a difficult thing to do and its not rocket science. What we need is the powers that be to have heart, compassion and guts. How difficult can managing a small country like sg be?

9 hours ago, Fit4Masc said:

Guess being a foreigner, you are not aware of the details of HDB. It's not buy, its rent, the twist is you pay the 99 years rent in advance and the lease is transferable, also the cost of long termed 99 years lease of a BTO HDB can be more expensive than a similar (Freehold strata) flat in the suburb of Melbourne or Brisbane, remember its renting here not buying. if you break any of their lease conditions they have the right to take your HDB back. You even have to pay annual property tax on the rented HDB flat that don't actually belongs to you and its monthly maintenance levies. Also gays are not qualified for more than a 1 bedroom apartment, only after you reach 35yo. After 40 years it will start to devalue and at the end of lease, it will be worth nothing, after you have paid a few hundreds of thousands for it, with the real capital gains "Absorbed" by the authority.  Also you will not get $160k of your CPF back when you retire, yes you get some back monthly about a $1K.  Yes taxes are abit higher in countries like Australia, but you get mostly free medical covered by their Medicare, here you pay with your own CPF savings and medical here are not cheap, its just they deduct it from your medisave portion of you CPF saving, making it feel like cheap as you don't pay out of your own pocket, provided you have sufficient funds in your medisave account. Also, in most countries, they have retirement benefits after they contributed to their economy, in Australia its now at $375 per week, here you get nothing! only your saving to fall back on. Transport is cheaper relative to countries like Australia, but there are only standing room the best of times, forget peak hours, one have to wait 3 to 4 trains before your turn to board.  Correct food is cheap, but you get half the serve and nothing much but cheap carb. If you want real nutritious food in sufficient qualtity, you pay more than what they pay in Australia, remember the average wage for a low wage worker here is less the half to a third of that of Australia. To a foreigner on high wage, it all looks sweet. But for a local low wage worker, its an entirely different story.

Dont like mai buay loh...if you buay a 99 year new studio from hdb, it cost abt $100k or less, works out to $85 a month..for 99 years...you buay a $300k 3 rm resale hdb with 70 years left, works out to abt $380 a month..if you sell, you may earn some or lets say you sell your 3 rm at $250k after staying for 10 years, you loose 50k or $450 a month in rental...not good deal meh? Dont forget, there are other ways to monetize your flat hor...also mai gong jiao way abt food prices in sg vs aust lah..

Anyway, you dun buy hdb lagi better, give other people more chance..you can go and rent $1500 for a 3 rm hdb lor, or you expect govt sub rental flats at $100 a month...

You these kind of lang, do not know how good a system you have when it comes to housing in sg.

4 hours ago, doncoin said:

I guess remaining silent and quickly accepting the high prices is going to help? Just like how public housing started costing more than $1 million, and MRT broke down? This is how this nation fails: in silence.

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Dont like mai buay loh...if you buay a 99 year new studio from hdb, it cost abt $100k or less, works out to $85 a month..for 99 years...you buay a $300k 3 rm resale hdb with 70 years left, works out to abt $380 a month..if you sell, you may earn some or lets say you sell your 3 rm at $250k after staying for 10 years, you loose 50k or $450 a month in rental...not good deal meh? Dont forget, there are other ways to monetize your flat hor...also mai gong jiao way abt food prices in sg vs aust lah..

Anyway, you dun buy hdb lagi better, give other people more chance..you can go and rent $1500 for a 3 rm hdb lor, or you expect govt sub rental flats at $100 a month...

You these kind of lang, do not know how good a system you have when it comes to housing in sg.

"buay a 99 year new studio from hdb, it cost abt $100k or less" in the year 2018??? How far dissociated from reality are you now?

24 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I guess remaining silent and quickly accepting the high prices is going to help? Just like how public housing started costing more than $1 million, and MRT broke down? This is how this nation fails: in silence.

Knn..mrt breakdown?? Lol...you dun have the money dun by the 1m flat lah...there are plenty flats for you to buy lor..unlees you expect sg hdb to be like jb public house price you dan gugu. Bo lui mai buay lor, buay cheaper one in woodlands, jurong west etc...

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

If you are not happy with the price you have to pay at the hawker store, take issue with the hawker, and ask him to charge you a price that you are willing to pay. If you are not happy that the 4 bed-room HDB flat you want is more than $1 million, go tell HDB about it and let them know it is unfair for them to charge you for something that is beyond your means. Same for the MRT, tell them you refuse to pay the fare if the train is going to breakdown. 

Whining and complaining on BW is not going to deliver the results you want. Doing so here, is not going to make that change. 

Love. 

Guest Don’t understand

Don’t understand the issue with HDB being 99 lease. How is that different from 99 year lease condo? When you qualify to buy direct from HDB you are paying below market value for such HDB compared to one buying 99 yr lease condo, at multiple times the price of HDB. 

As for our transportation, I agree it’s not the best in the world but good enough compared to other developed countries like UK and USA. There are of course rooms for improvement but current standard serves its purpose. It is cheap, clean and frequent enough. At least we don’t have workers going on strike!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.