Male HQ

Jewel Changi Airport Discussion

lovehandle

Guest mix design

just seems a mix of The Shoppes at Marina Bay with Gardens at the Bay Dome combined into a shopping mall, actually doesn't seem to be any new inventive design.

On 4/16/2019 at 3:20 PM, Guest mix design said:

just seems a mix of The Shoppes at Marina Bay with Gardens at the Bay Dome combined into a shopping mall, actually doesn't seem to be any new inventive design.

i agree with you, all the kids told me that

why is the feel just like gardens by the bay cum bit of Suntec (to me) Fountain too

What is orchard to international tourists then?

and for those who think big is BEST: here - https://mustsharenews.com/9-penang-road/

to blend in with our sg walking trails/paths, with showers! 
joint venture w  Suntec Real Estate Investment Trust. (since all luv the vortex and fountain so much)
The new building will be a breath of fresh air for Orchard Road as there has been no new supply in this sub-market for a period of time.

hope sg will wakeup

Truly agree, this is the one and only video that highlights the crucial point

those transiting cannot access jewel at all

cos u need to exit immigration and then later.....

ferry transition ok- ie why they offer free shuttle bus for pp at the ferry terminals

the best way to eat A&W and Shakeshack without the need to travel, is to grabfood, deliveroo loh

Edited by lovehandle

knowing they will compare! 

but isn't the answer obvious?
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/commentary/jewel-changi-airport-kill-orchard-road-shopping-singapore-11470562?cid=FBcna&fbclid=IwAR2kO-kSK_C6I66ZbwS8sh1Eu-8T8GjetmQ-iKNjmFEaK2lT8n2iqpY_O8Y

who will spend parking at Jewel and spending petrol by travelling all the way  there

In this community, many would not mind flying out to Bkk more frequently to shop

• G_M changed the title to Jewel Changi Airport Discussion

Since I am not based in Sg majority of the time, I am excited about the Jewel. Compared to many of the US airports, the Jewel is a prized gem. There is nothing like that here in any of the American airports, and honestly, Singaporeans have it great when it comes to airports. While the shops are meh to me, as many pointed out, the usual suspects, and honestly, it will be great to find smaller, local or unique brands being supported, nonetheless, the architecture and concept of the Jewel is one of its kind. 

So be proud. Be appreciative of what Singapore has. There is nothing like it anywhere else in the world. 

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

Thats true, us, europe airports actually quite sucks, few shops, close early and service also not really that fantastic as compare to sg, no wonder is the best airport for so many years.

Not so interested in the shops but yes the water fall and the whole architecture, should be able to win some international buildings awards.

Guest Neh Neh

I compare Jewel with Dubai Burj Khalifar 5-star mall. Think Jewel only rate 4 stars. Not as grand as Burj Khalifar and no local cultural feel. Simply a fine shopping mall.

Agreed should do more better and bring in more cultural feel factor.

I suppose wouldnt be fair to compare orange with durian.....yap the main soul of it is the waterfall, remove that and it will be just another shopping mall.

Yap it would be nice to have theme event during festival celebration like dumpling , mooncake festival etc...the light show can incorporate some storyline along that way or use animation to tell a story.

I would prefer if Changi Airport had spend the money in improving facilities for passengers in transit and those who need to spend the night there.  I found it already very friendly by providing comfortable recliners to sleep, even a garden like area to overnight.  I often arrived there at around midnight, and spent some hours sleeping before passing immigration and taking the MRT to my destination in the city. 

About the waterfall,  I have ZERO interest.  I prefer to admire the Niagara Falls in my adoptive country, or the Cataratas del Iguazu in my native country.

12 hours ago, SensualMassage_T said:

Such a fantastic futuristic design, well done Singapore. 

I’m kinda frustrated that I check in T2 then only being inform that I unable to access Jewel lol ....

U already checked in? then u cannot access

which is also why i started to share critical info:  those transiting or whatever, cannot enjoy it

U need to exit the airpt (after landed)
or u r to enjoy our crown jewel first before doing your check in

Which is also why i m qn those reports: many flyers/many using the airpt might NOT be able to fully enjoy the jewel as it appeared to be....
by the time u finally reach the LARGE crown jewel , u need to decide where to start with (not all r able to make a dcision fast to eat and shop )
Some shops are NOT opened til late (shake shack was closed before 8pm , their meat patties run out fast if u have read the reviews on tripadvisor too)
some shops have LONG q (Cos not many options left)
and from one end to another is  a big challenge, so by the time u took the monorail to jewel it is time u return to your terminal for check in already
Neither would i recommend half an hour-40min shopping at jewel, it is too short (cos u need to "get to the place")

Guest Guest
14 hours ago, SensualMassage_T said:

Such a fantastic futuristic design, well done Singapore. 

I’m kinda frustrated that I check in T2 then only being inform that I unable to access Jewel lol ....

Still can leh ...there is a super long link-bridge that is connected to the Jewel from T2. But it's a long walk though, maybe 10 minutes walk but it's all aircon and sheltered. 

Changi is one of my favorite airports because I find there so many attractive features for travelers.  For example, the abundant free internet stations,  the comfortable recliners to lay down and sleep for a while,  clean modern bathrooms, transporters along the long corridors towards the boarding gates,  etc.  There are also many attractive stores with all kind of (duty free?) merchandise, where I never buy anything.  In fact I dislike airport stores, especially those one has to endlessly traverse to reach the boarding gates.  But this is not so bad at Changi.

The Changi Jewel does not seem to do anything for the traveler.  One tries to spend as little time as possible outside the immigration restricted area.  And it makes sense that one single "Jewel" cannot serve both areas inside and outside.  It would have been a better investment of the money to make improvements inside and outside.  The fact that it was built outside indicates that it is really detached from the functions of an airport,  but caters more to visitors from the city to go there to shop and walk around like in any other mall.  This really works AGAINST travelers because it adds the traffic of countless people who have no intention to travel but get in the way,  adding crowding to this single MRT line.   And the huge waterfall?  It may be nice to see,  but once is enough.  We all have seen before water falling,  from much higher,  like in the rain   :lol:

On 5/3/2019 at 11:21 AM, Alponsu said:

I wonder how long before a few of those stores shut down due to the rental costs.

that i fully forsee that too

it appeared that jewel is 24 hr just like most airpt terminals

but may not b the case

it is never an ez thing to hire staff to work 24 round the clock and special rates needed
https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowUserReviews-g294265-d17237163-r670584278-Jewel_Changi_Airport-Singapore.html

Edited by lovehandle

6 hours ago, Alponsu said:

I wonder how long before a few of those stores shut down due to the rental costs.

Rental + high labour cost is a instant killer for a shop.....any shop also can close down but not A & W, that will be the greatest laughing stock.....

• 2 weeks later...

tourist wanted (nt just tourists, locals too) the wow factor
https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowUserReviews-g294265-d17237163-r673343566-Jewel_Changi_Airport-Singapore.html

it is NOT about how many hours u have it at Changi but how special is the mall, plenty of ctries have unique shopping eperience

Long walk

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

We had about a 9 hour transit at Changi Airport so decided to visit the newly opened Jewel. After a long queue at immigration and a rather long walk, we reached the Jewel. The rain vortex is indeed unique and impressive but that was the only wow factor for me. Otherwise just like any shopping centre.

those who went on a day time, benefited with more unique photo shoot although

"Understand most photo focus on the water fountain, but it is very similar to the one at MBS only bigger. The place was very crowded,"

Guest Bygone
1 hour ago, auri said:

Toilets there are fine, pretty private cubicles.

Already had 1 session there

Cruising gay men are like cockroaches, the moment they find a new nest they will start to infest. Leave Jewel alone lah.

9 minutes ago, Guest Bygone said:

Cruising gay men are like cockroaches, the moment they find a new nest they will start to infest. Leave Jewel alone lah.

Your comment is not very kind to gay men.  Are you at BW to bash gays?

Guest guest
46 minutes ago, Guest Bygone said:

I agree with what you say, just ignore that ang moh.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:14 AM, Guest guest said:

I agree with what you say, just ignore that ang moh.

Guest guest seem to have the same perverted mind that compares gay men with cockroaches!

Edited by Steve5380

Is not only airport,  across the island retail business are going from bad to worse,  walk into any shopping centre and u can see 50 to 70% sales or buy 2 get 1 free, high rental and labour cost, boring shops, accompany with the habits of buying online is killing off the local retail scene. 

Guest Guest

Jewel is a waste of money. Its ment as a playground for the rich. These monies could be used better by helping the many many many many poor in singapore. How many millions of meals could be made to feed the hungry? 

Jewel is another project of vanity. Targeting those high net worth people to visit and spend! I had yet to see jewel do anything for the poor by letting the poor dine to fill their empty stomachs to give clothes for the elderly and children who have barly any cloths or shoes for daily living.

Lets not talk about the waterfall!! How much water is wasted!! All these water coule be used to provide water for free for thousands of poor families but now used for the high net worth people to take pictures to load up their insta or facebook to showoff how trendy and well off they are!

Guest DontBother

The Riches will not go there to queue for a taste of Shake Shack or A&W to happily post in their Instagram to announce to their friends. Cheap thrills :thumbdown:

Guest nehneh
15 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Lets not talk about the waterfall!! How much water is wasted!! All these water coule be used to provide water for free for thousands of poor families but now used for the high net worth people to take pictures to load up their insta or facebook to showoff how trendy and well off they are!

the water used is the same pool of water used and recycled throughout lah.

you think it's never ending flow of clean water meh??

Guest Guest
55 minutes ago, Guest DontBother said:

The Riches will not go there to queue for a taste of Shake Shack or A&W to happily post in their Instagram to announce to their friends. Cheap thrills :thumbdown:

Yes they will. Its to show off to other high net worth people, to show how IN they are.

Guest Guest
50 minutes ago, Guest nehneh said:

the water used is the same pool of water used and recycled throughout lah.

you think it's never ending flow of clean water meh??

Even if its recycled, its so much water, also dun need refill? Its water wasted...so many poor families can be given the precious water for free..also how about to maintain? Dont need cost? These can be use to buy food for poor! Poor more important or rich take pictures on their latest phones to show off to other rich more important?

Landmark buildings are akin to ministry of defence, u have I must have too. Unfortunately.

Personally I m not an advocator of social benefit. Most people r greedy and lazy. When there r freebies, end result is usually abused. Unfortunately again.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest
4 minutes ago, fab said:

Landmark buildings are akin to ministry of defence, u have I must have too. Unfortunately.

Personally I m not an advocator of social benefit. Most people r greedy and lazy. When there r freebies, end result is usually abused. Unfortunately again.

But who else has  Jewel???its a waste of money!! These monies can he better used for the poor in singapore.

Jewel cost $1.7billion!!!  If only $5000 were given to the poor families be it on cash or kine, over 340000 families will benefit!! I have yet to talk how many more millions will it cost to run jewel!!

340000 families!! Thats equals to better lives for over 1million poor singaporeans!!

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

But who else has  Jewel???its a waste of money!! These monies can he better used for the poor in singapore.

Jewel cost $1.7billion!!!  If only $5000 were given to the poor families be it on cash or kine, over 340000 families will benefit!! I have yet to talk how many more millions will it cost to run jewel!!

340000 families!! Thats equals to better lives for over 1million poor singaporeans!!

Did I say anywhere else has Jewel? U do know the difference between Jewel and landmark, I hope.

I don't advocate wastage and extravagance nor do I have statistics to discuss with you. But personally I have encountered many greedy people who abuse social benefits.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest 根本无明
13 hours ago, fab said:

Did “I” say anywhere else has Jewel? 

Who is “I”?What is “I”?  Still locked in “I” to win an argument. 我执。

6 hours ago, SensualMassage_T said:

How to visit Jewel if i’m Transit from T2?

Dont think you can come out from transit to visit Jewel, unless you have enuff transit time...

but you can take the skytrain and ride closer to the waterfall (the skytrains that passes the waterfall ones are only transit side of skytrains.)

Grass is always Greener on the other side....don't you think so? O.o

12 hours ago, SensualMassage_T said:

How to visit Jewel if i’m Transit from T2?

U must exit custom as though u r entering into Sg

after visiting jewel then check in again

with sg Changi airport efficiency, this is not challenging (if not miss it again, i trust this is nt the first time u raise this qn)

9 hours ago, 245upz said:

Dont think you can come out from transit to visit Jewel, unless you have enuff transit time...

but you can take the skytrain and ride closer to the waterfall (the skytrains that passes the waterfall ones are only transit side of skytrains.)

Last month i’m Viewing the water fountain through sky train, this time I only had 2 hours transit to Japan and The staff told me better don’t risk it 

Contact |  012 4173134  

Guest guest

I thought GST is absorbed at shops in Changi airport.

More incentives needed for people to go eat and shop at Jewel changi.

Like free latte for main course. 

Free cleaning of 飞机头 for guys provided by eager BW members who wants to volunteer.

5 hours ago, SensualMassage_T said:

Last month i’m Viewing the water fountain through sky train, this time I only had 2 hours transit to Japan and The staff told me better don’t risk it 

Yeah... It's risky to just go out and come in again... Don't think immigration would even allow that as well... Unless you have long transit time... Then Ur allowed to come out... 

Going Japan next week too! XD 

Grass is always Greener on the other side....don't you think so? O.o

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.