Male HQ

Jewel Changi Airport Discussion

lovehandle

5 hours ago, Zackling said:

No photo description available.

As of this morning.. this is the ghost town in jewel. Honey moon period is over.. survivor of the fittest begins. Cruel isn't it.

tks for confirming for us , Zack! 

esp the world-famous Shake Shack, i been telling them there is nothing fanciful with a small burger at that price

it is a breeze even within an hour, one can easily comb the whole jewel with no crowd!!!!i will visit the garden again when it fully open with full facilities after June

Dear Guest, 
GST is absorbed after passing the  custom area (not the main area where anyone could access), if u r leaving Sg, not at non-DFS area
Alot of tourists and guests are still badly confused they kept thinking Jewel is highly accessible by guest transiting 

u need to enter singapore (pass thru customs) as a tourist , then u exit for Jewel (tell yourself Jewel is just a mall at Changi area , not the DFS area)

5 hours ago, Guest guest said:

I thought GST is absorbed at shops in Changi airport.

More incentives needed for people to go eat and shop at Jewel changi.

Like free latte for main course. 

Free cleaning of 飞机头 for guys provided by eager BW members who wants to volunteer.

Edited by lovehandle

Guest guest
8 hours ago, Zackling said:

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor

No photo description available.

Image may contain: 1 person, sitting, table and indoor

As of this morning.. this is the ghost town in jewel. Honey moon period is over.. survivor of the fittest begins. Cruel isn't it.

You must be there very early, that's why no crowds. Heard Jewel still very crowded on weekends.

well, basically, the pictures are from the makan sutra, the big man himself, KF Seetoh. i guessed he just touched down in the morning from his overseas assignment.

i was at the airport yesterday afternoon for a job interview appointment and at the fountain area are basically certain family crowds who there to sent off their love one /ones. Then u have those who are there waiting for their love one / ones. And those famous restaurants & big brands are mostly deserted. Even swensen was deserted at about 3 plus in the afternoon.. as usual, starbucks, students hogging the seats.. 

the canopy area.. are just.. meh.. and basically, you will naturally find the airport staffs & the locals gorging the more affordable & cheaper food at teh tarik at basement 2 of the airport / napping there during their job breaks.. 

i even walked pass a family, where the guy was telling his children, come let's go to MacDonald.. so this is one evidence where not all will go to dine at the big brands there. The weekends are more or less crowded is for those local folks who wishes to act like tourist.. go there for the Big fountain. 

Edited by Zackling

Guest Guest
17 hours ago, Guest guest said:

You must be there very early, that's why no crowds. Heard Jewel still very crowded on weekends.

OMG! This is the dumbest comment I have ever read! Singapore is crowded EVERYWHERE on weekends!

Jewel is supposed to be attracting transit, overseas tourist (and also local). It should be worrisome if there is no crowd most time of the day... Do you even travel??? 

21 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

OMG! This is the dumbest comment I have ever read! Singapore is crowded EVERYWHERE on weekends!

Jewel is supposed to be attracting transit, overseas tourist (and also local). It should be worrisome if there is no crowd most time of the day... Do you even travel??? 

lol!!!! i think Crown Jewel has really miscalculated

hopefully when it fully opened of all facilities by 10June: tat will bring back the (only) sch holiday crowd, but just to view , may not improve the spendings!

"To be available from June 10, the attractions include a 50m-long suspended bridge, with a glass floor that will allow visitors to look down at the greenery below; a 250m-long bouncing net, which at its highest point will be suspended 8m or three storeys above the ground; and other highlights such as mazes and slides.

This will cover 60 per cent of all traffic at the airport and will be open from 6am to midnight daily. There will also be facilities for all travellers to store their hand luggage round-the-clock. "
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/jewel-changi-airport-ready-for-its-coming-out-party-and-plans-to-wow-500000

Edited by lovehandle

23 minutes ago, Ken1994 said:

I heard there are a lot of eatery shop there

dont hve to base on "hearsay"

It is a lot! but what is the  use

From FeiSiong to many like Lee Wee's brothers new brand - O'tah : https://www.sixmealsperday.com/2019/04/23/new-otah-by-lee-wee-brothers-jewel-changi-airport/
https://www.jewelchangiairport.com/en/dine.html

Edited by lovehandle

Guest Guest

These people who are at jewel are not dumb. They would had done their sums. As in all business, some will fail. Was there just a few evenings ago, shake shack has a queue with hundreds of people. Most places were full. You cannot expect to have a full crowd everyday every hour.

So Marks and Spencer, Isetan , big box have not done their sums and r stooopid?  Dont b silly

of course , they wil quickly do their sums and immed close it all down or to rechannel it 

A&W too, they will exit (for so long) when they cannot even survive in sg for decades (loser returning doesnt mean it will be a big bang) 
even Huawei doesnt know their future
b it Gem or westgate or not https://singpromos.com/department-stores/marks-and-spencer-at-jem-is-closing-down-save-up-to-80-off-at-their-everything-must-go-sale-227662/?fbclid=IwAR14Nz_4f_g6GAEtdgBWXuMqObbgq1_1vhMSuierUJF5UimIqFZ2nZwThWI
https://www.straitstimes.com/business/property/isetan-not-renewing-lease-of-loss-making-westgate-store?xtor=CS3-18&utm_source=STiPhone&utm_medium=share&utm_term=2019-05-06+13%3A05%3A22&fbclid=IwAR1e-IbNG0LFwUBC12LpRZFyBqLEQzRkSIjsQPHOF6hog3VbYFqGNvB9nho

from Chilli to becoming a non-existent chilli padi https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/trending/chili-s-closes-all-restaurant-outlets-in-singapore-11381112

All these r news current and for past few mths: https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/food/dome-cafe-to-close-last-spore-outlet

w jp focus groceries : Big box owe renovators and NOW the whole bldg is like  a ghost town (owing means done their sums?)

Even my HK friends and relatives laughing at Honest B from being too dishonest has to close all its laundry and delivery biz
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/honestbee-halts-food-delivery-service-singapore-laundry-11534662
they branch to HK and msia and many more https://www.todayonline.com/world/troubled-singapore-start-honestbee-keep-going-malaysia-where-business-brisk
https://www.dealstreetasia.com/stories/honestbee-cash-crunch-136846/

nt famous still it closed
 (not at west)

arent all these retailers? and some r real big names in the Sg scene
It is not the first time we heard news about Marks and Spencer (in UK too having some issues, although prices in UK are SO much lower) 

Of course we all knew that Changi must have given subsidies or icing to attract some big names to come ovr here

Edited by lovehandle

Guest Guest
3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

So Marks and Spencer, Isetan , big box have not done their sums and r stooopid?  Dont b silly

of course , they wil quickly do their sums and immed close it all down or to rechannel it 

A&W too, they will exit (for so long) when they cannot even survive in sg for decades (loser returning doesnt mean it will be a big bang) 
b it Gem or westgate or not https://singpromos.com/department-stores/marks-and-spencer-at-jem-is-closing-down-save-up-to-80-off-at-their-everything-must-go-sale-227662/?fbclid=IwAR14Nz_4f_g6GAEtdgBWXuMqObbgq1_1vhMSuierUJF5UimIqFZ2nZwThWI
https://www.straitstimes.com/business/property/isetan-not-renewing-lease-of-loss-making-westgate-store?xtor=CS3-18&utm_source=STiPhone&utm_medium=share&utm_term=2019-05-06+13%3A05%3A22&fbclid=IwAR1e-IbNG0LFwUBC12LpRZFyBqLEQzRkSIjsQPHOF6hog3VbYFqGNvB9nho

from Chilli to becoming a non-existent chilli padi https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/trending/chili-s-closes-all-restaurant-outlets-in-singapore-11381112

All these r news current and for past few mths: https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/food/dome-cafe-to-close-last-spore-outlet

w jp focus groceries : Big box owe renovators and NOW the whole bldg is like  a ghost town (owing means done their sums?)

Even my HK friends and relatives laughing at Honest B from being too dishonest has to close all its laundry and delivery biz
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/honestbee-halts-food-delivery-service-singapore-laundry-11534662
they branch to HK and msia and many more https://www.todayonline.com/world/troubled-singapore-start-honestbee-keep-going-malaysia-where-business-brisk

(not at west)

It is not the first time we heard news about Marks and Spencer (in UK too having some issues, although prices in UK are SO much lower) 

Of course we all knew that Changi must have given subsidies or icing to attract some big names to come ovr here

Wow. Talk like so smart...really? Changi gave them subsidies? Really meh...got facts or fake news?

On 5/23/2019 at 2:23 AM, Guest Guest said:

When we tourists leave, we want to pass the formalities of check-in, immigration as soon as possible and then wait inside.

When we arrive and pass immigration and customs, we want to head to our destinations as soon as possible.

No water fall,  shops and restaurants will make me spend one extra minute at a fancy mall. 

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest jay said:

I was there today Friday afternoon at 3+. It was crowded. Lol at all the trolls who say it's empty.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fake news!! These are not people. These must be paid by the shops to queue on purpose to make people think its popular. You must he wrong as l9vehandle said already Jewel is a flop and he also said changi gave these shops some incentive to open on jewel! Do not spread fake news or photoshop lah.

well, i would say as school holidays are round the corner.. parents are bringing the kids & the family out for a day just to walk thru the fanciful mall.. what u saw in these pictures are schools bringing the kids there for excursions.. and they're crowds there as mentioned, "it is an airport", there're families receiving & sending off their love one / ones. But you will not see tourist company hosting tourists to walk around the airport. yesterday is saturday, so most families who haven't been there just go there for look see.. some of the families are there to take pictures so they doesn't feel stupid or something.. just to actually tell people, they're there too.

would anyone of u travel all the way to jewel to dine? No way!!

if u work in the airport, would u bring ur family there to eat? of cos' not!!

would u go there to buy things that are over hyped & marked up on prices?! of cos' not!!

i worked within the airport.. i do hear comments being stated as .. ohh its just an over hyped shopping mall.. its something like mbs & garden by the bay merge into one.. those people who gathered around the waterfall are mostly tourist are flying off or coming in. students hogs the seats at starbucks & certain eateries too. most restaurants there bang on the weekend crowd.. weekday.. the business are so so.. or super slow. it is the strawberry generations who are thinking that A&W is some kind of super fast food.. it's a trend.. shake shack, over hype.. would anyone queue to buy a brand..?? for e.g. would u queue 3-4hrs to buy a LV bag?

i do see female kiddos in groups practicing some k-pop dance routines there too.. y? free aircon, big empty spaces, no restrictions, macd & fast foods are available.. y students like to hang out at the airport? most places are empty, with security forces patrolling the area, it is pretty darn safe for them to hang out. hungry? u got fast food chains around.

Please don't tell me u're one of those who would queue overnight for iphone, etc.. those are the purest idiots with too much time & money on their hands.

to be realistic.. give Jewel another 3-6 months. the hype will die down..the real test of time will come in, the survival of the fittest will be seen. A&W was a one time hit in sg.. they died.. left .. now.. with this one outlet in jewel.. they will phase out like kfc, macdonald, wendy's, long john sliver & even BK. Yes the food hall is pretty empty on weekdays, they served only & mostly airport staffs. 

Go to the canopy, take pictures of the empty food stalls & cafes up there.. go to the basement area where old chang kee, teh tariks are.. you would see a different story!!

It seems that Singapore has a weakness for grandiose projects.  Like the giant Ferris Wheel, the Singapore Flyer.   I was reading its history at:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Flyer

In my multiple visits to SG it has never occurred to me to ride this wheel.  But contrary to the Jewel, I think it has more to offer and I might ride it the next time I visit.  Although in the above article one reads the many times it got "stuck" with people on it,  and its financial difficulties don't rule out that it might disappear by then.

bfore they collapse , those living in the East (like my relatives hold all celebration) will find chance to frequent there 
finally a vlog that doesnt focus solely on A&W or Shake Shack or the ever-STarbuck

the Shang 's yunan 's ham and pu er tea icream  and the carbonated Lychee tea

The Yunan's hotpot seemed so healthy

the Otah's too 

What ?!!! still have to pay??!!!

To first access the finally opening soon on 10june’s park

entrance fee of S$4.50 for Singapore residents, foreigners 5sgd!!

Reactions abt pricing is.. "Crazy!". Every single attraction is priced individually. These are the pricing for Singaporeans. Costs more if you're not one. It'll cost you between $50 to $60 if you wanna cover all the attractions. 

- Entrance fees to Canopy Park is S$4.50
Basic entry into the Canopy Park is priced at S$4.50 for Singaporean residents and S$5 for all others. This lets you wander around Topiary Walk, Discovery Slides, Foggy Bowls and Petal Gardens.
- Bouncing Nets is S$19.80 for adult Singapore residents and S$14.40 for children and seniors. 
- Walking Nets S$13.50 for adults and S$9 for children and seniors
- Hedge Maze S$10.80 for adults and S$7.20 for children and senior citizens.
- Mirror Maze S$13.50 for an adult Singapore resident and S$9 for children or seniors
- The Discovery Slides???
- Canopy bridge is S$7.20 for all Singapore residents (adults, children and seniors). 

The attractions in the 14,000 sqm Canopy Park had not yet been opened to the public when Jewel officially threw its doors open last month. 

On Thursday (May 30), Jewel announced pricing details for each of the attractions and gave the media a sneak preview.

43 minutes ago, Garyl said:

(FONT) So big.. i love it.. bro..

Thanks.:D

Sorry i didnt realise it,

u luv big fonts??

i felt many tend to exag that u need hours (ref when there is no crowd , if june sch holidays nt sure yet), who is gonna shop all the shops or eat all the f&b in a mall????

A trip is to relax , not to fight

anyway the canopi garden (open only 10june)need to pay before entering

Guest Easterling

I won't travel all the way there.  I think the location is more suitable for people staying near the east from Simei to Pasir Ris.  I would go there regularly if I stay near those location if I have nothing on to do.

i think we have to start thinking that Jewel is a mall (not an airport) it just happend that some malls are nearer to the Changi area (cos of that some added facilities are added to help the travellors)

eg if my purpose is to visit be it KL or Dubai, the focus is NEVER on the airport* , in the terminal, NEVER (even if it is a transit)

it was mentioned umpteen times about transit : the Jewel - biggest mistake that it didnt tot of transiting issue (on theory, it appeared to hve given it a well-thought) deep enough

it was also mentioned in tripadvisor and when someone asked why is there GST at Jewel changi that "u (even transit) need to enter singapore (pass thru customs) as a tourist , then u exit for Jewel (tell yourself Jewel is just a mall at Changi area , not the DFS area)"
U need to exit as though u r visting singapore (when transiting within ,  u cannot even get to Jewel cos jewel is not inside the area of a Port, it is a mall meant for Public sg) 
if it is a meant for Public/Sporeans of course, we shd enjoy the rates of using an infrastructure/facility built for Sporeans (we paid Tax) 

and alot tend to associate Museums and such places of Interests for tourists , u r so wrong then!
all such places so-called meant for tourists, but  Sporeans/PRs all enter w no admission charges or at a discounted rate, so what is so ugly with foreigners made to pay MORE at such places or even at airpt? We ought to let Singaporeans enjoying MORE in our own land

On 5/24/2019 at 10:33 PM, Steve5380 said:

When we tourists leave, we want to pass the formalities of check-in, immigration as soon as possible and then wait inside.

When we arrive and pass immigration and customs, we want to head to our destinations as soon as possible.

No water fall,  shops and restaurants will make me spend one extra minute at a fancy mall. 

* : steve has logically explained that no matter how gd , the airport is never a tourist-focus or a biz travellor-focus at all , anyone knew that all along

It is just that we kept linking Jewel means airpt , airpt means travelling and travls, wrong

Jewel means another  Mega mall happened to be near that area
*yes the sub-benefits is of course to attract overseas youtubers/travellors where their own ctry do not have such F&B like Shake Shack etc
I m not yeow qwee for that burger, it just happened that the outlet exist right beside a place i was travelling to, so i dine there, not that i purposely went
but i think Singaporeans and many tend to boast and share their Queueing experience thru IG and Youtube or soc media

28 minutes ago, auri said:

This thing is at the airport, and the first thing they want to show is discriminatory pricing for foreigners.

They got rocks in their heads???

Is actually a very common practice in many countries to charge different price for the residents and foreigners but what i am surprised is the difference here is actually very marginal....nope, will not pay to go there and jump, might as well jump on my bed is free...maze for what? Might as well go sauna maze, much more sexciting.

11 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Is actually a very common practice in many countries to charge different price for the residents and foreigners but what i am surprised is the difference here is actually very marginal....nope, will not pay to go there and jump, might as well jump on my bed is free...maze for what? Might as well go sauna maze, much more sexciting.

I am very well aware... but generally speaking those are poor third world countries.

The real irony is that this price discrimination is happening at the airport, supposedly the face of Singapore to the outside world

** I definitely have no intention of paying to go there too

9 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

Sorry i didnt realise it,

u luv big fonts??

i felt many tend to exag that u need hours (ref when there is no crowd , if june sch holidays nt sure yet), who is gonna shop all the shops or eat all the f&b in a mall????

Yes.. all things that i could use.  Biggest  n longest.. :D

I love jewel when I work in the morning shift, everything don't need to queue before 8am. But after 8am that's when the crowds start to increase. 

I have to say that some tourist will really come to jewel before check in, saw so many people dragging their luggage everywhere around jewel. 

Not all popular shop need to queue during peak hours. E.g. Pokemon.

Guest disclosed yourself

Singapore must be doing very well as no other country will go crazy if a mall have crowded or not..some people spend so much time defending their views that its a flop..these people like -Ignored- must be so much indemand for their wise minds.

Guest for wat

It's interesting to see all the micro influencers  aka: IG sluts rushing to Jewel to take selfies of themselves queuing up for Shake Shack, A&W and whatnots.

Guest Guest
On 6/2/2019 at 2:36 AM, Guest for wat said:

It's interesting to see all the micro influencers  aka: IG sluts rushing to Jewel to take selfies of themselves queuing up for Shake Shack, A&W and whatnots.

No queue lah....as KF Seeto and -Ignored- posted...its empty...shack shake picture has no one queue.

Regardless of the positive or negative views about Jewel, one thing I can say about Shake Shack is that it is always packed. Even recently here on a beautiful early summer's day in NYC, I was crossing a park where there is a Shake Shack, the lines winding around it are like crazy and all for a freaking burger, fries and soda. I admit I have not had a cow burger in years so I haven't really tried or tasted SS. Even when I was in Miami a few weeks ago, the place there was packed. I have to assume that their burgers tastes that good. 

Architecturally, Jewel is a beautiful building, that is meticulously crafted with some attractions. While we can question the viability of the place or the need for something like it, and debate for ages, it is built. Enjoy it versus continually finding fault with it. 

Love. 

Guest OH Well
On 6/11/2019 at 9:41 PM, doncoin said:

Regardless of the positive or negative views about Jewel, one thing I can say about Shake Shack is that it is always packed. Even recently here on a beautiful early summer's day in NYC, I was crossing a park where there is a Shake Shack, the lines winding around it are like crazy and all for a freaking burger, fries and soda. I admit I have not had a cow burger in years so I haven't really tried or tasted SS. Even when I was in Miami a few weeks ago, the place there was packed. I have to assume that their burgers tastes that good. 

Architecturally, Jewel is a beautiful building, that is meticulously crafted with some attractions. While we can question the viability of the place or the need for something like it, and debate for ages, it is built. Enjoy it versus continually finding fault with it. 

One thing i don’t get is, the plants they planted in Jewel are ugly cheap plants and trees, nothing like gardens by the bay level!

Why cannot they do it properly? Nparks not involved, having budget constraints?

10 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

good pun! but i felt most gay travellors rather spend time in Yunomori and our gay saunas instead! 
ask those who came over from our neighbouring ctries lately

You may be right.  But like Jewel caters also to travelers in transit who have barely enough time to enter SG to shop there but not on Orchard street,  

maybe Jewel can cater to gay travelers who have barely enough time to cruise Jewel for a quickie but not enough to visit the other places you mentioned. :)

38 minutes ago, TopChinese said:

Where in Jewel can two guys go for fun? My senses tell me that one of the toilets at the top floor can be quiet. 

All the toilets seem reasonably quiet/clean/private

I did it beside Zara

Maybe don't go for the basement toilets during meal times

Guest Family jewel
11 minutes ago, auri said:

All the toilets seem reasonably quiet/clean/private

I did it beside Zara

Maybe don't go for the basement toilets during meal times

You can try doing in the fountain, should be exotic and erotic. 

Guest Since I wasn't yet there
On 5/24/2019 at 3:47 PM, -Ignored- said:

(not at west)

The background is often the greedy mall operators. The malls are mostly very full with people, at any time and any day of the week.

The Jurong East Area has seen a lot of closing down shops at the 4 malls.

Big Box was never appealing, it was like a sales ramp, bad design, cheap look but sell at high price.

The only thing interesting was the occasional branded sales stalls. I bought a nice Italian leather sofa (branded) after into my previous one it had leaked into house from ceiling and the sales person so desperate to give me additional discount and free delivery. But now it seems they are just closing down operations.

In Jem, shops move in and out. Sephora moved out, Victoria Secret move in or the other way around (just example, I don;t need anything from there) and many other shops same happen.

The initial 2 lease period is past, then the mall operator will jump in with big rental increase.

For Isetan, I think their location at the very inside and basement of Westgate was just not a good location.

Most tenants would just not give in to pay the hefty increases.

JCube was emptying too but they seem to have recovered with new smaller outlets and unbranded shops or some interesting restaurants.

To be honest, the Western area did not have "Great World City" style of bigger malls, but that came with JEM and Westgate.

Regarding Jewel, I didn't believe into any success from the start and still don't know if it was needed or made any economic sense.

For travellers there were already the big airport shopping area and for some food outlets nobody would walk over to a huge mall like jewel. Which famous food brand will open up so far from town? We will need to see for the long run whether it is economically sustainable. Can always flatten the floor and develop it into the new National Day Parade Arena Hall in the worst case.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Once Jewel loses some of its luster of newness and the rent of its commercial spaces goes down,

could it be a good spot for a gay sauna?

It could be an ideal location to attract passengers who are just making scale in Changi  and have some long hours to burn between flights. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.