Male HQ

4 Signs Your Body is Too Acidic and How to Fix it

GachiMuchi

4 Signs Your Body is Too Acidic and How to Fix it

June 28, 2019 |   Health, Health Tips |   0 |   hfhadmin

Your body is a machine that relies on the perfect balance of chemicals, bacteria and cells. How to tell if your body is out of balance? Check out your pH levels.

If by any chance you don’t know anything about it, here’s a brief info. pH values stand for the alkalinity or acidity in your body. To work properly, your body requires a perfect balance of acidity and alkalinity. Your stomach needs acidity to digest food and your system needs alkalinity.

The pH scale goes from 0 to 14. Values below 7 are considered acidic, and anything higher than that represents an alkaline environment. In some cases, the body becomes too acidic, triggering an avalanche of negative reactions.

How to tell if your body is too acidic?

Observe your body carefully, and you will learn a lot.

1. Excess weight

Acids increase the production of insulin and your body stores more fat. The natural detox system in your body is unable to deal with increased levels of acid and brings it back to fatty tissues. Your metabolism needs an alkaline environment, and it fails to do its job. Your body stops burning calories, and you don’t lose weight.

2. Weak bones

Your body gets alkali from different sources in the system, including your bones. It pulls calcium from bones in order to neutralize acidity. That’s how you end up with weak bones, fractures and osteoporosis. If you are diagnosed with osteoporosis, avoid coffee and other acidic foods.

3. Sensitive teeth

A 2015 study released in the International Journal of Chemical Engineering and Applications confirmed the connection between acidity and damaged tooth enamel.

If you struggle with cavities or are unable to consume anything cold or hot, your tooth enamel needs help.

4. Sleep issues

Many Americans deal with chronic sleep deprivation, and it has something to do with acidity.

Your body pulls calcium from your bones and the lack of this mineral leads to insomnia as confirmed by experts at the Human Nutrition Research Center in North Dakota.

Create an alkaline environment

Diet

Diet changes can do wonders for your overall health. Eat more of the following alkaline foods:

• Kale
  • Broccoli
  • Cucumber
  • Spinach
  • Arugula
  • Collards
  • Zucchini
  • Soybeans
  • Tofu
  • Nuts
  • Seeds
  • Legumes
  • Raisins

Foods to avoid:

• Dairy
  • Eggs
  • Meat
  • Most grains
  • Packaged, processed snacks
  • Canned foods
  • Caffeine

Baking soda and apple cider vinegar

Baking soda is an incredible product. When combined with raw and organic apple cider vinegar it’s even more powerful. Add a third teaspoon of baking soda to 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Wait for the fizzing to stop, and add in 8 ounces of water. Drink your alkaline potion.

If you don’t like using apple cider vinegar, use lemon juice. It works really great. Lemons are incredibly alkaline, and definitely deserve a spot on your menu.

Get rid of your regular cleaning products

Commercial cleaning products are packed with chemicals that throw your body out of balance. Use natural cleaning products instead of your regular solutions.

Sources:
www.davidwolfe.com
www.thealternativedaily.com

How To Balance Your pH Levels and Find Out if You are Too Acidic

November 28, 2014 |   Health, Health Tips |   0 |   hfhadmin

Alkalizing one’s body has become the basis of many recent health regimens, but some people feel that the importance of pH values is just a new fad. What most people don’t realize is that the art of pH balancing has had a long tradition, and unlike many modern theories, it has helped to save lives and maintain health.

If you remember any of your chemistry or science classes, you may recall the difference between and acid and a base, or even the definition of pH value. pH values stand for the alkalinity or acidity of a certain substance.

how-to-balance-your-ph-levels-and-find-out-if-you-are-too-acidic

The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14, and 7 is considered as a neutral value. Every value below 7 stands for an acidic substance, and when the value is higher than 7, the substance is considered to be alkaline, or base.

Why is pH Value Important?

Scientists have confirmed that an acidic environment is associated with accelerated cancer growth. Studies have also shown that an acidic body is more prone to disease, including arthritis, cancer, and cardiovascular disease. Moreover, people with an imbalanced pH value cannot utilize all of the nutrients from the food they eat, and this can eventually lead to fatigue.

Many studies have shown that acidic pH values increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and obesity.

Alkaline pH values are linked to improved memory, reduced pain, and decreased risk of hypertension and stroke. The value of pH levels also affect bone health. Scientists say that alkaline foods can actually improve bone density.

What Causes pH Imbalance?

Have you ever considered all the chemicals you consume? All the labels that contain aspartame, phosphorus (found in soda), and caffeine? These and many other chemicals increase the acidity of the body.

Unfortunately, we prefer eating foods that cause toxic buildup in our bodies. Moreover, we poison ourselves on a daily basis. Toxins are found in the clothes we wear, the towels we use, the cleaning products we buy to clean our houses, and many other products.

However, our diet is the major culprit. People prefer to eat junk food, sweet snacks, and processed delicacies. In addition to this, lifestyle choices are another factor that increase acidity levels. Believe it or not, even over-exercising, especially cardiovascular exercises, can decrease the pH value, as it can cause excess stress on the body.

Our bodies can regulate its pH value, but not for long, so you need to help your body reach a pH balance.

Test Your pH Level

Test strips can help you determine the pH value of your body, and urine or saliva are the best indicators. You can purchase test strips online or in some drug and health stores.

Saliva:

Before you brush your teeth, fill your mouth with saliva and then swallow. Do the same thing again, but this time spit some of the saliva onto the pH test strip. This method is necessary, as it ensures a clean saliva sample. Normal values range from 6.5 to 7.0.

Urine:

Collect some of your first morning urine and keep it in a glass container. Dip the pH strip test into the urine. The value should range from 7.2 to 7.4.

How To Balance Your pH Value?

Magnesium: Most doctors would agree that magnesium deficiency is common in the U.S. Magnesium is extremely important for women, because it helps the body assimilate calcium, which prevents osteoporosis.

This mineral can naturally raise the pH value, while also providing instant energy. You can use a liquid supplement, which is often combined with calcium, as it is a great addition to a magnesium-based diet. You can also find magnesium in foods such as avocado, almonds, cashews, and spinach.

Eliminate Sugar

Sugar is one of the most acidic substances. Consuming it causes weight gain and it also negatively affects the immune system. Replace refined sugar with alkaline sweeteners such as stevia, agave nectar, and maple syrup. Stevia may be the best choice, as it has been proven to be the most efficient in lowering blood sugar levels.

Rev Up The Enzymes

Acidity affects the digestive enzymes in the small intestine, and the body is unable to break down foods and use the nutrients properly.

This leads to improper metabolism, obesity, and diabetes. Add enzymes to your diet — for example, bromelain (found in pineapples), and papain (found in papaya) and you will increase the benefits of alkaline fruits and vegetables.

Drink Lemon Water

Lemon is known as the most alkaline fruit, even though many think that it is acidic. When lemon juice enters the digestive tract, the enzymes turn it alkaline.

Water is also important, as it cuts down the acidic side-effects of soft drinks, coffee and tea, as well as flushing out the kidneys. Start your day with warm lemon water and make sure you drink enough water throughout the day. This will ensure an alkaline environment in your body.

Eat Vegetables Instead of Meat

Meat can contribute to an improper pH balance, as it contains zinc and potassium, essential for the body. But it is also acidic, and most people consume a lot of meat.

Your diet should not be based on meat only; eat meat in addition to a plate full of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Keep in mind that not all vegetables are alkaline, but most of them are, so make sure you keep a list of alkaline and acidic foods posted in your kitchen, so you can check it whenever you go to the grocery store.

Remember, the natural pH value of foods does not necessarily indicate the effect it may have on your body. Be proactive about your stress levels. Get enough sleep, exercise regularly and relax. This will do wonders for your body and soul.

Source: organichealth.co
Other sources linked in Organic Health article:
www.healthyandnaturalworld.com
www.chatelaine.com
www.saragottfriedmd.com
healthfree.com
www.bottomlinepublications.com
www.drdavidwilliams.com
www.divinecaroline.com
www.mindbodygreen.com
Image source: www.sakawater.com.au

Fight Inflammation and Heart Disease With These 60 Alkaline Foods

January 17, 2019 |   Fruits, Health Tips, Vegetables |   0 |   hfhadmin

The pH balance in our body is essential in order to prevent various health issues and function normally.  A healthy body has a slightly alkaline pH value, or about 7.4.

Jillian Levy, CHHC explains:

“Many doctors stress the importance of reducing acidity and increasing alkalinity with an alkaline diet because a balanced pH helps protect us from the inside out. Disease and disorder, they say, cannot take root in a body whose pH is in balance.

What is the meaning of “pH balance”? Do you know if your pH levels are off? Well, pH balance refers to a proper balance in the body between acidity and alkalinity.

Your body does a great job of keeping its pH balanced in most cases, but by eating an alkaline diet may help prevent unhealthy microbes and organisms from flourishing, tissues and organs from becoming damaged, minerals from being depleted, and your immune system from being compromised. “

The Journal of Environmental and Public Health published a 2012 review which stated:

“It is generally accepted that agricultural humans today have a diet poor in magnesium and potassium as well as fiber, and rich in saturated fat, simple sugars, sodium, and chloride as compared to the preagricultural period. This results in a diet that may induce metabolic acidosis which is mismatched to our genetically determined nutritional requirements. “

However, the polluted environment, constant stress, unhealthy lifestyle and dietary habits, all tend to make our body acidic, and prone to various diseases and ailments.

The following alkaline foods will help you restore the healthy state of the body, and fight inflammation, cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.

Melon

Melons are highly alkaline and keep the body hydrated, and healthy.

Swiss Chard

It has potent antibacterial, antioxidant, and antiviral properties, and effectively alkalizes the body.

Berries

Berries are among the healthiest alkaline fruits we can consume, and are rich in fiber and antioxidants.

Flax Seeds

Flax seeds have powerful anti-inflammatory properties and are rich in vitamin E and fiber.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Olive oil is a rich source of monosaturated fats and vitamin E, and fight acidosis in the body.

Here is a list of other alkaline foods that you should include in your other diet:

Alkalizing fruits

• Apple
  • Tomato
  • Avocado
  • Apricot
  • Banana
  • Coconut
  • Grapes
  • Tropical Fruits
  • Dates
  • Figs
  • Watermelon
  • Pineapple
  • Grapes
  • Lime
  • Orange
  • Lemon
  • Tangerine

Alkalizing vegetables

• Parsnips
  • Spirulina
  • Green Beans
  • Cauliflower
  • Carrot
  • Eggplant
  • Sprouts
  • Peas
  • Chlorella
  • Alfalfa
  • Barley Grass
  • Spinach
  • Green peas
  • Rutabaga
  • Been Greens
  • Onions
  • Cabbage
  • Wild Greens
  • Celery
  • Wheat Grass
  • Garlic
  • Beets
  • Dandelions
  • Cucumber
  • Brocolli
  • Sea veggies
  • Collard Green
  • Mustard Greens
  • Mushrooms
  • Edible Flowers

Alkalizing protein

• Tofu
  • Tempeh
  • Millet
  • Almonds
  • Chestnuts

Alkalizing spices and seasonings

• Cinnamon
  • Ginger
  • Tamari
  • Curry
  • Chili pepper
  • Mustard
  • All Herbs

Other alkalizing foods

• Apple cider vinegar
  • Bee Pollen
  • Molasses
  • Mineral Water
  • Veggie Juices
  • Probiotic Cultures
  • Green Juices

Source: thehealthy-living.com

• 1 month later...

I can definitely tell that my body is too acidic.

One major culprit for me is lack of sleep. Ugh I wish I could sleep well.. :(

Also my diet hasn't been the best either.

Definitely wanna try some of the food items listed above!

This is very helpful! Thank you!

At its core, everyone's body works the same but there are contributing factors that make my body and your body different.

1 hour ago, fallmerees said:

At its core, everyone's body works the same but there are contributing factors that make my body and your body different.

I disagree to that point. The circulatory system is the same for everyone. No doubt there are subtle differences, but the function remains physiologically similar. its like saying everyone has a heart, and everyone's heart beat will differ depending on age and many other factors. However, the underlying physiology remains the same, i.e the heart is used to pump blood. There are published research which shows many mechanisms behind how the body buffers the "acidic environment". If you are interested to read more: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-015-0397-5

• 1 month later...

Definitely the healthy vegetables contribute to make our body more alkaline and avoid an acidic pH.   My preferred recipe is the following "green soup":

One bunch celery

One bag fresh green beans

6 green zucchini

One bunch parsley (adds taste)

Cut all in small pieces, into a pot, cover with water and boil for 5 to 10 minutes.

Blend with the water and added salt, and drink warm like a soup.

Let the left over cool and refrigerate, to later warm up in microwave and eat daily.

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

Definitely the healthy vegetables contribute to make our body more alkaline and avoid an acidic pH.   My preferred recipe is the following "green soup":

One bunch celery

6 green zucchini

Cut all in small pieces, into a pot, cover with water and boil for 5 to 10 minutes.

Let the left over cool and refrigerate, to later warm up in microwave and eat daily.

I don't think that's very evidence-based to say that the vegetables contribute to moderating the blood pH. Our buffering systems are more than competent to handle the pH changes and it is unlikely that these minute changes will have a detrimental effect chronically.

1 hour ago, xydboy said:

I don't think that's very evidence-based to say that the vegetables contribute to moderating the blood pH. Our buffering systems are more than competent to handle the pH changes and it is unlikely that these minute changes will have a detrimental effect chronically.

You are right that the healthy body easily maintains homeostasis of pH balance, with nearly instant response by the lungs through CO2 and by the various buffering mechanisms, and a slower response by the kidneys. But food has an influence on how well and with how much reserve these mechanisms function.  If our food is too acidic,  there may be a chronic shortage of substances to buffer the acidity, and elements like calcium and phosphorous may be leeched to make up for the shortage,  especially from the bones.  The pH is still kept closely regulated, but our bodies suffer elsewhere. 

Abundant consumption of vegetables,  like I help with my "green soup", is an insurance against shortage of alkaline buffering substances, and...  this soup is delicious, like other dishes with green, cruciferous vegetables (like my lentils with mixed vegetables... yum!) :thumb:

19 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

You are right that the healthy body easily maintains homeostasis of pH balance, with nearly instant response by the lungs through CO2 and by the various buffering mechanisms, and a slower response by the kidneys. But food has an influence on how well and with how much reserve these mechanisms function.  If our food is too acidic,  there may be a chronic shortage of substances to buffer the acidity, and elements like calcium and phosphorous may be leeched to make up for the shortage,  especially from the bones.  The pH is still kept closely regulated, but our bodies suffer elsewhere. 

Abundant consumption of vegetables,  like I help with my "green soup", is an insurance against shortage of alkaline buffering substances, and...  this soup is delicious, like other dishes with green, cruciferous vegetables (like my lentils with mixed vegetables... yum!) :thumb:

Your first paragraph is physiologically incorrect. I would want to refer you to other materials that acknowledges the presence of the kidney and its role to maintain homeostasis (https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/advan.00054.2009 and https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-of-nutrition/article/nutritional-disturbance-in-acidbase-balance-and-osteoporosis-a-hypothesis-that-disregards-the-essential-homeostatic-role-of-the-kidney/3EAD569004A55B4AEAA0DAFC30AB5BE6).

Unless kidney's are compromised (as a product of aging), otherwise, there is no evidence to suggest that consumption of "acidic foods" will lead to detrimental health in otherwise healthy individual (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946302/).

I acknowledge the benefits of diet high in fruits and vegetables, but the improvements in health is unlikely attributed to the "acid-ash hypothesis" which you mentioned. 

3 hours ago, xydboy said:

Your first paragraph is physiologically incorrect. I would want to refer you to other materials that acknowledges the presence of the kidney and its role to maintain homeostasis (https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/advan.00054.2009 and https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/british-journal-of-nutrition/article/nutritional-disturbance-in-acidbase-balance-and-osteoporosis-a-hypothesis-that-disregards-the-essential-homeostatic-role-of-the-kidney/3EAD569004A55B4AEAA0DAFC30AB5BE6).

Unless kidney's are compromised (as a product of aging), otherwise, there is no evidence to suggest that consumption of "acidic foods" will lead to detrimental health in otherwise healthy individual (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5946302/).

I acknowledge the benefits of diet high in fruits and vegetables, but the improvements in health is unlikely attributed to the "acid-ash hypothesis" which you mentioned. 

My first paragraph may not be so incorrect after all, considering that the 2nd article you mention (from last year) acknowledges that with reduced renal function there is still a remaining acid balance that depletes minerals.  So food HAS an influence in older people whose kidneys may not work 100%.  Kidneys are known to be symptom free until they are close to be seriously damaged, this is why it is important to have periodic lab work done to measure creatinine and BUN.  Who knows how many seniors walk around thinking that they are totally healthy until they suffer a sudden fall and bone breakage.   They don't break a bone because they fall, but... they fall because a leg bone just broke!  Horrible, isn't it?

There is nothing wrong with the theory that too much acidic food is detrimental.  And a senior like me can embrace this theory with clean conscience and much enjoyment of healthy vegetables :)

7 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

My first paragraph may not be so incorrect after all, considering that the 2nd article you mention (from last year) acknowledges that with reduced renal function there is still a remaining acid balance that depletes minerals.  So food HAS an influence in older people whose kidneys may not work 100%.  Kidneys are known to be symptom free until they are close to be seriously damaged, this is why it is important to have periodic lab work done to measure creatinine and BUN.  Who knows how many seniors walk around thinking that they are totally healthy until they suffer a sudden fall and bone breakage.   They don't break a bone because they fall, but... they fall because a leg bone just broke!  Horrible, isn't it?

There is nothing wrong with the theory that too much acidic food is detrimental.  And a senior like me can embrace this theory with clean conscience and much enjoyment of healthy vegetables :)

I did mentioned that in apparently healthy individuals, this is not an issue. However, we cannot apply a blanket statement. In the elderly, the effects of aging brings in many issues. You cannot compare a "compromised" system (not just aging, but also individuals with other chronic diseases) with the typical apparently healthy adult. The very fact that nutritional guidelines differ in older adults, we cannot apply diet regimes across the population in the same way.  

You mentioned about bone fracture, so my question to you would be how can you boldly attribute that to acidic food? There are many risk factors for osteoporosis (https://www.moh.gov.sg/docs/librariesprovider4/guidelines/cpg_osteoporosis.pdf), and it is not right to attribute it with acidic food intake. Elderly are more prone to osteoporosis for a variety of reason. In fact, I could also argue that these individuals are not exercising enough to improve bone health. 

With many correlation, cross-sectional studies and reviews showing the lack of support for "acidic food and bone health in apparently healthy adults. Results were only mildly supportive in studies investigating individuals of age 65-80. Sure you can believe whatever you want as long as it makes you happy ^_^ 

11 hours ago, xydboy said:

With many correlation, cross-sectional studies and reviews showing the lack of support for "acidic food and bone health in apparently healthy adults. Results were only mildly supportive in studies investigating individuals of age 65-80. Sure you can believe whatever you want as long as it makes you happy ^_^ 

My opinion is not based on what makes me happy.  At my age I have strong bones because I do weight bearing exercises and I fall down frequently  (several times a week in my Aikido class I am thrown down on the mat about a hundred times). My opinion is that the results you mention are too premature to rule out the benefits of avoiding too many acidic foods. I don't see much positive in contradicting the articles presented by the TS here.  More alkaline foods are good foods, period.

More important is to rule out the idea that osteoporosis can be prevented/cured by taking calcium supplements. While taking vitamin D seems to be beneficial, the effect of increased calcium intake on bone strength seems to be minimal, and instead it increases the risk of calcification of the blood vessels.

Edited by Steve5380

On 10/10/2019 at 9:58 PM, Steve5380 said:

My opinion is not based on what makes me happy.  At my age I have strong bones because I do weight bearing exercises and I fall down frequently  (several times a week in my Aikido class I am thrown down on the mat about a hundred times). My opinion is that the results you mention are too premature to rule out the benefits of avoiding too many acidic foods. I don't see much positive in contradicting the articles presented by the TS here.  More alkaline foods are good foods, period.

More important is to rule out the idea that osteoporosis can be prevented/cured by taking calcium supplements. While taking vitamin D seems to be beneficial, the effect of increased calcium intake on bone strength seems to be minimal, and instead it increases the risk of calcification of the blood vessels.

Lets not go off tangent to discuss on the physical activity that you do, and the role of supplements and osteoporosis. Lets not talk about that but focus on the topic on hand, which is the idea of acidic foods. Based on current evidence, I don't think we have a strong enough case to suggest a strong causative effect on food acidity and the physiological systems. Aging itself is a delicate issue and evidence have to be specific to certain population acknowledging differences between the groups. Unless you can show concrete evidence that was published, otherwise, its just an opinion which I value and respect, but not shared.

I think its bold to make that statement that alkaline foods are good foods. We cannot classify food either good or bad in such crude manner. Just because a diet high in fruits and vegetables is "alkaline", it doesn't mean anything. You could attribute the good benefits because of the dietary fibre, and not because its alkaline. Its like saying that taller man wear big shoes. Its not because of their height that they have big feet, but because they are older. Correlation is not causation. That is my main argument: how can you attribute the benefits or the risk of the food solely based on acidity profile given its incredibility? Looking back at the evidence, most of the arguments stemming on acidity profile of food and bone health (a single marker of health risk) are short-term studies. While a significant large scale studies conducted on longer duration yield poor relationship between food acidity and bone health. Sure, science can change from time to time, but it is the way of making sense of the world around us and the current evidence are not supportive of the statements you made. You may be right, but it is a generalised statement, which in fact may not hold true for certain population.

2 hours ago, xydboy said:

Lets not go off tangent to discuss on the physical activity that you do, and the role of supplements and osteoporosis. Lets not talk about that but focus on the topic on hand, which is the idea of acidic foods. Based on current evidence, I don't think we have a strong enough case to suggest a strong causative effect on food acidity and the physiological systems. Aging itself is a delicate issue and evidence have to be specific to certain population acknowledging differences between the groups. Unless you can show concrete evidence that was published, otherwise, its just an opinion which I value and respect, but not shared.

I think its bold to make that statement that alkaline foods are good foods. We cannot classify food either good or bad in such crude manner. Just because a diet high in fruits and vegetables is "alkaline", it doesn't mean anything. You could attribute the good benefits because of the dietary fibre, and not because its alkaline. Its like saying that taller man wear big shoes. Its not because of their height that they have big feet, but because they are older. Correlation is not causation. That is my main argument: how can you attribute the benefits or the risk of the food solely based on acidity profile given its incredibility? Looking back at the evidence, most of the arguments stemming on acidity profile of food and bone health (a single marker of health risk) are short-term studies. While a significant large scale studies conducted on longer duration yield poor relationship between food acidity and bone health. Sure, science can change from time to time, but it is the way of making sense of the world around us and the current evidence are not supportive of the statements you made. You may be right, but it is a generalised statement, which in fact may not hold true for certain population.

I don't think that we should be criticized for commenting on our personal experiences. All of BW is full of personal experiences, and it fits it well because it is a conversational forum and not a scientific forum. Osteoporosis and acidity are not totally unrelated so as to bring out the argument of "off topic". 

I welcome this thread and the topic based on GachiMuchi's posted articles.  These articles are not scientific papers but they follow common belief that is not totally unfounded.  Look at the list of foods recommended there, and they are all good food.  People following an alkaline diet will be doing something good for their health, acidity or not acidity.  And the belief in this diet does not seem to have any negatives,  except maybe for the meat and dairy industries and the proponents of high protein intake for the growth of big muscles. 

In casual conversations it is nearly unavoidable to generalize.  Otherwise they would become too long if one has to cite with much specificity.  Theories of nutrition are always in a constant flux, reflecting the complexity of what goes on in a body. Much of what we know comes from correlation, until eventually the causation is discovered.

20 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I don't think that we should be criticized for commenting on our personal experiences. All of BW is full of personal experiences, and it fits it well because it is a conversational forum and not a scientific forum. Osteoporosis and acidity are not totally unrelated so as to bring out the argument of "off topic". 

I welcome this thread and the topic based on GachiMuchi's posted articles.  These articles are not scientific papers but they follow common belief that is not totally unfounded.  Look at the list of foods recommended there, and they are all good food.  People following an alkaline diet will be doing something good for their health, acidity or not acidity.  And the belief in this diet does not seem to have any negatives,  except maybe for the meat and dairy industries and the proponents of high protein intake for the growth of big muscles. 

In casual conversations it is nearly unavoidable to generalize.  Otherwise they would become too long if one has to cite with much specificity.  Theories of nutrition are always in a constant flux, reflecting the complexity of what goes on in a body. Much of what we know comes from correlation, until eventually the causation is discovered.

When I was referring to off tangent, its about osteoporosis and the idea of supplements. That itself is going to spark a huge debate and I was trying to emphasize on the key topic which is acidity/alkaline food. Like you've mentioned, that there are issues with the list, especially on the meat and dairy products, which are key requirement. And its meeting those nutritional requirements that are critical and where our nutritional guidelines for healthy living are founded on.

Generalising is something we have to be mindful about. I do believe that it can be avoidable if we were to be mindful and I agree that there are always new "theories" or knowledge spewed out and putting absolutes on the picture, will just make the argument sound bad. I don't tend to agree on the fact that much we know are correlation. In fact there are lots of meta analysis and randomised controlled trials set out that puts things into perspective. That's where we get our evidence based guidelines that was published by established institutions. Until there is solid evidence, otherwise what is shown by the ministries or academies of knowledge, would be what most people typically recommend: balanced diet with equal portions of meat, veggies, fruits, milk, and carbohydrates. That in itself, is a balanced diet.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:53 PM, xydboy said:

Actually....tbh...the above info isn't correct. I don't think the notion of acidic or alkali "type" of body is well proven. Our buffering system in humans works fine.

I totally agree with you. There is no such thing as acidic or alkaline body type. There is different chemical environments in different parts of our body. For example inside of stomach it is definitely strong acidic for food digestion. The "doctor" who invented such notion in the States has been proven wrong scientifically and was awarded with a big fine and jail time.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:40 PM, Steve5380 said:

One bunch celery

6 green zucchini

Is salt sufficient enough to make it tasty? For me it is important that the soup is savoury. How often do you consume this green soup?

42 minutes ago, WheelofTime said:

Is salt sufficient enough to make it tasty? For me it is important that the soup is savoury. How often do you consume this green soup?

Yes, the taste of the vegetables plus salt is sufficient (for me).  But you can add pepper or other condiments.

I eat a small bowl of it every day.

Bon Appetit!

5 hours ago, massageaddict said:

I totally agree with you. There is no such thing as acidic or alkaline body type. There is different chemical environments in different parts of our body. For example inside of stomach it is definitely strong acidic for food digestion. The "doctor" who invented such notion in the States has been proven wrong scientifically and was awarded with a big fine and jail time.

I went on to search and this link popped up in the search engine: https://www.health.com/celebrities/alkaline-diet-creator-jail-time Thanks for sharing. Didn't know about this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 6:12 AM, massageaddict said:

This "doctor" was disqualified for an important but maybe not so important (doctors are not nutritionists, and they don't learn much about nutrition) detail:  he didn't have a valid medical license.  There are many more "doctors" with valid medical licenses who launch themselves into the lucrative business of exploiting some nutritional theory, which they have discovered, and for which they "sacrifice themselves" to manufacture and sell to the public the magic champions of their theory.  (I had to stop tons of email adds from "Dr. Micozzi", "Dr. Gandry" and some others)

But the alkaline diet has a saving grace,  written in the article quoted by @xydboy:

"So while the alkaline diet may not be great in theory, it may actually have health benefits in practice. Rather than buying into unproven health claims about the body’s pH levels, though, focus on the other benefits of the foods it promotes." 

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

This "doctor" was disqualified for an important but maybe not so important (doctors are not nutritionists, and they don't learn much about nutrition) detail:  he didn't have a valid medical license.  There are many more "doctors" with valid medical licenses who launch themselves into the lucrative business of exploiting some nutritional theory, which they have discovered, and for which they "sacrifice themselves" to manufacture and sell to the public the magic champions of their theory.  (I had to stop tons of email adds from "Dr. Micozzi", "Dr. Gandry" and some others)

But the alkaline diet has a saving grace,  written in the article quoted by @xydboy:

"So while the alkaline diet may not be great in theory, it may actually have health benefits in practice. Rather than buying into unproven health claims about the body’s pH levels, though, focus on the other benefits of the foods it promotes." 

So its not the alkaline effects, but the health promoting effects of whole fruits and vegetables consumption (vitamins and minerals, fiber content, etc). Hence it goes back to what I mentioned about the health effects being attributed to other factors and not the alteration of pH. Even the statement highlights its an unproven health claims about body's pH levels...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.