Male HQ

Celebrities / Famous Personalities Who Have Passed Away (Compiled)

jazz

Guest Cleanly Teacher

Since very few people will click on a Roxette topic, and most Blowing Wind readers below 30 have no idea who they were, more posters will see this sad news if it is included in the long-running thread dedicated to sharing news about CELEBRITY DEATHS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 2:29 AM, Guest Barry said:

She was on TV. 

That does not make her a celebrity. Criminals, lawyers  drivers, aunty and uncles, contestants on huang jin lian hua also on tv, they are not celebrities.

38 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

That does not make her a celebrity. Criminals, lawyers  drivers, aunty and uncles, contestants on huang jin lian hua also on tv, they are not celebrities.

Well ... If people can still remember her on TV then and also even now, that means she's still a celebrity, regardless if she is a big celebrity or a small celebrity. Do you remember all those "Criminals, lawyers  drivers, aunty and uncles, contestants on huang jin lian hua"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Guest Shaq said:

spacer.png

80 people died from Wuhab Coronavirus. 

This or-laarng Kobe Bryant mati, yet so many people paid tribute?! Really PCB! KNN! "Zjia-Bpar-Xiiu-Enng"!

I never watch NBA and don't know this "or-laarng".

What charity has this or-laarng did in the past? What contribution has he made to the society? Has he helped Singaporeans? 既没做慈善,也没有做出社会贡献。过着奢侈的生活,金钱挥霍不堪,讲难听一点,死不足惜

He has been living in luxury all his life and poor people work like cows! Yet, so many "kaam-laan-gorng-kiia" paid tribute!

I lived in the States for many years, 8 out of 10 blacks are "guai-laan" and look down on Asians Chinese. I don't understand why people in this forum look up on these "or-laarng-kuiwee"?!

6 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

I lived in the States for many years, 8 out of 10 blacks are "guai-laan" and look down on Asians Chinese. I don't understand why people in this forum look up on these "or-laarng-kuiwee"?!

This I agree.

My experience in states too. 80% of the blacks I encountered r condescending towards us. Most r in retail n service industries where they should be giving better service. Whites otoh r more cordial.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

80 people died from Wuhab Coronavirus. 

This or-laarng Kobe Bryant mati, yet so many people paid tribute?! Really PCB! KNN! "Zjia-Bpar-Xiiu-Enng"!

I never watch NBA and don't know this "or-laarng".

What charity has this or-laarng did in the past? What contribution has he made to the society? Has he helped Singaporeans? 既没做慈善,也没有做出社会贡献。过着奢侈的生活,金钱挥霍不堪,讲难听一点,死不足惜

He has been living in luxury all his life and poor people work like cows! Yet, so many "kaam-laan-gorng-kiia" paid tribute!

He had a sex scandal many years back. Gan one 19yo girl loh..... That time he already married.... Still kan that 19yo until she reported rape. 

7 hours ago, fab said:

This I agree.

My experience in states too. 80% of the blacks I encountered r condescending towards us. Most r in retail n service industries where they should be giving better service. Whites otoh r more cordial.

In the US, 9 out of 10 crimes involved a black. 
Black themselves are racists towards other skin colour too. Just that, Singaporeans are ignorant and they knew nothing about blacks. 

4 hours ago, Love2Blow said:

He had a sex scandal many years back. Gan one 19yo girl loh..... That time he already married.... Still kan that 19yo until she reported rape. 

This charcoal black man finally tasted his karma. Really  死有余辜。

Guest Cleanly Teacher

I am absolutely disgusted by the racist posts and other ignorant posts in relation to Kobe Bryant. Such words have no place on Blowing Wind in a thread about celebrity deaths. First of all, Kobe Bryant was not a perfect person, nobody is. Yes, he was accused of rape, but the case never went to trial and he reached a settlement with the woman. Yes, she was "only" 19 (still legally an adult and she was a full-time hotel worker at the time), but he was "only" 27 or 28 himself. Yes, he was married, and yes, cheating on his wife was bad, but he spent many years trying to make it up to her and their children.

My belief is that Kobe Bryant learned his lesson from the rape charge, and while he can never truly be forgiven if he really did rape the hotel worker (which we will never know), he seems to have grown up since then. He became a much better husband to Vanessa as far as anyone can tell, and an absolutely wonderful father to their four daughters, one of whom was only born seven months ago and will never know her dad. At the time of the fatal helicopter crash, in fact, he was taking one of his daughters, two of her teammates, and their parents to a basketball game where he was going to be their coach.

While there are other serious issues in the world -- such as Wuhan coronavirus, Australian bushfires, and a criminal "President" on the verge of turning the USA into a corrupt dictatorship as soon as the Senate ignores his attempted extortion of Ukraine in order to help Russia's illegal territory grab and boost his own re-election campaign by "acquitting" him -- this thread is about celebrity deaths. If you want to comment on those other issues, go to the threads about those issues, and stop inappropriately trying to lecture people who are actually using this thread for the exact purpose for which it was created.

As for the racist comments about black people, first of all, stop generalizing. Black people in America or anywhere else are not a monolith. The same applies to Chinese, Malay, Indian and any other kind of people. There are good folks and there are bad folks. For those who had bad interactions with certain black Americans (or Brits or Canadians), I probably had just as many good interactions during my time in those countries. I have also met many black people who were very interested in Asians and Asian culture, and were rejected by Asians refusing to engage with, or even looking down upon them.

This thread has covered the deaths of so many celebrities, and never before has anybody asked what did he or she do for charity, but suddenly it is applied to Kobe Bryant. Pretty much all NBA players do charity and he is no exception. In fact, he was recently in the news before his death for trying to help homeless children, and has done a lot to support education as well. Not only those things in America, but he has done a huge amount of philanthropy in China, where he is a total mega-star and one of the biggest reasons, besides Yao Ming, why the NBA is so popular there (Morey's tweet notwithstanding).

I applaud Kobe Bryant for embracing his fans in China and doing whatever he could to bridge the cultural divides between that country and the USA, and in particular, foster understanding between more PRCs and black Americans. Besides his family, that will be his biggest legacy, and it is nothing to be ashamed of at all. So yes, he grew up in "luxury" since his dad was also a basketball player, and even spent part of his childhood in Italy where he's loved too (despite the racism of some of that nation's soccer fans), but his cross-cultural outlook was crucial to who he was, and I, for one, say RIP Black Mamba.

On 1/28/2020 at 12:01 AM, Guest Guest said:

In the US, 9 out of 10 crimes involved a black. 
Black themselves are racists towards other skin colour too. Just that, Singaporeans are ignorant and they knew nothing about blacks. 

This charcoal black man finally tasted his karma. Really  死有余辜。

On 1/27/2020 at 7:30 PM, Love2Blow said:

I agree with the above posts. HWZ members are cursing at this blackie.

Guest Cleanly Teacher

Dear Moderators ... Is there one guest stirring up racism under muliple screen names ... and on multiple topics? Words like "charcoal" and "blackie" and Hokkien slang cuss words are not appropriate in a thread about people dying. Nor is citing Hardware Zone, perhaps the most toxic website in Singapore, where they are openly throwing around the "n-word" without a care in the world. Let's not forget how homophobic 99% of the Hardware Zone users are (such as the guy who wanted to "open fire" on all gays in Singapore). We don't like discrimination against us so don't turn around and discriminate against others.

I summed up Kobe Bryant's complicated legacy above. He wasn't perfect, and he certainly wasn't a saint, but the alleged rape was 17 years ago and he seemed to have learned his lesson from whatever mistakes he made that night. CNN mentioned the case along with his basketball highlights in their story on his life. I assume most other media outlets did the same, so it's not like they glossed it over, just included it as part of an imperfect life. Celebrities from every race have had sordid episodes in their pasts and people aren't dragging them through the mud. Those posts are just a thin excuse for racism. Cut it out.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tutenchamun

The laudable thing was his peace with Israel which brought him back Sinai to Egypt, but surely he wasn’t an angel. 
And don’t forget the discrimination oppression and prosecution of gays in Egypt under his rule 

Guest Superimposed Yourself

Do politicians count as celebrities? I guess so now that a game show host and lifelong real estate salesman like Trump has risen to the top in the US but it's not good.

Guest Cleanly Teacher
21 hours ago, Guest Rei said:

Who is he?

Hosni Mubarak, former President (opponents called him dictator) of Egypt for 30 years, until the citizens got fed up and toppled his regime in 2011.

• 4 weeks later...

Country music star Kenny Rogers dies aged 81

The Telegraph .  21 March 2020

Beloved singer-songwriter Kenny Rogers has passed away. - Terry Wyatt/Getty Images

Beloved singer-songwriter Kenny Rogers has passed away. - Terry Wyatt/Getty Images
More

Kenny Rogers, whose husky voice carried him as a TV and music star across genres, has died at age 81, a representative says.

The American country music singer and songwriter is understood to have passed away peacefully at his home.

Rogers was known for hits including Islands in the Stream, a song recorded with long-time friend Dolly Parton.

The musician won three Grammys for songs including The Gambler in 1979 and Make No Mistake, She's Mine in 1987. Rogers was also nominated for 19 of the prestigious awards.

A spokesperson for Rogers' family released a statement to announce the star's death to his fans around the world.

"The Rogers family is sad to announce that Kenny Rogers passed away last night at 10.25pm at the age of 81,"the said.

"Rogers passed away peacefully at home from natural causes under the care of hospice and surrounded by his family."

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/country-music-star-kenny-rogers-065241788.html

RIP

Taiwan celebrity dancer Serena Liu dies at 44 on Sunday: Taiwanese hospital

Liu had gained fame first as a dancer on Taiwan's variety programmes before going on to act in dramas, films and host television programmes. Liu had gained fame first as a dancer on Taiwan's variety programmes before going on to act in dramas, films and host television programmes.PHOTO: SERENA LIU/INSTAGRAM
PUBLISHED.  3 HOURS AGO

Lim Ruey Yan

Taiwan ballroom dancing queen Serena Liu Chen died at the age of 44 on Sunday night (March 22), Taiwanese media reported.

Liu suffered from poor heart function after undergoing heart valve repair surgery at Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb 7. She went for another operation later to remove a blood clot in her brain. She was also put on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, a life support machine, while waiting for a heart transplant. Taipei Veterans General Hospital confirmed on Monday morning that Liu died at 10.22pm on Sunday.

Veteran Taiwanese host Jacky Wu, 57, who runs the management company that Liu’s husband singer Shin Lung, 48, belongs to, held a press conference on Monday afternoon (March 23), on behalf of Shin.

Wu told reporters in a live-streamed press conference that Liu’s life support was pulled after it was determined that there was no hope left for her. “The medical team did everything they could do for her, but at the final stages, it appeared that there was nothing left to be done. But Shin Lung did not want to let her go."

He added: “We asked him what we could do, and asked if it would be better if we found someone else, another medical professional, who could assess her.”

He then revealed that Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je, a former doctor and a professor at National Taiwan University College of Medicine, whose speciality includes organ transplant, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), and artificial organs, came to assess Liu’s condition. Wu says: “He explained to Shin Lung that from a professional, medical standpoint, she had no chance.”

Wu recounted that after many discussions, including with Liu’s parents who did not want to see their daughter suffer, her family decided to pull her life support on Sunday night. Wu explained that Shin was too sad to face the press and that his only words for the media is that he is “heartbroken”, and that he hopes the public will remember his wife’s beautiful dancing.

Choking up at intervals, Wu also revealed that Shin had shared “worrying, ill thoughts” with his friends. He says: “As his senior, I gave him some stern words, and told him that he has to stop thinking these useless things and told him that Liu Chen would have wanted him to carry on and do what is in the best interests of their daughter.”

A memorial will be held for Liu while funeral arrangements are underway.

Shin told Apple Daily earlier this month that his wife found out about her heart condition by sheer chance.

Their daughter had caught a cold and Liu had taken her to the doctor. When her daughter refused to have a stethoscope placed on her chest, the doctor listened to Liu's chest as a demonstration to calm the child.

That was when Liu was told that she had a heart murmur and was advised to seek further treatment.

Liu had gained fame first as a dancer on Taiwan's variety programmes before going on to act in dramas, films and host television programmes.

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/taiwan-celebrity-dancer-serena-liu-dies-at-44-taiwan-media

Edited by shyc

Wow.

The way Liu Chen discovered her condition is really dramatic.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Lao uncle
On 3/21/2020 at 3:39 PM, shyc said:

Country music star Kenny Rogers dies aged 81

The Telegraph .  21 

RIP

He used to be the poster bear of gays. So handsome with his fine beard so well groomed unlike those of the dirty smelly looking bears.

• 2 weeks later...

‘Lean On Me,’ ‘Lovely Day’ singer Bill Withers dies at 81

MARK KENNEDY
Associated Press3 April 2020
783bc5ea8c809a4faae93c194f39d9de

‘Lean On Me,’ ‘Lovely Day’ singer Bill Withers dies at 81
More

Bill Withers, who wrote and sang a string of soulful songs in the 1970s that have stood the test of time, including “ Lean on Me, ” “Lovely Day” and “Ain’t No Sunshine,” has died from heart complications, his family said in a statement to The Associated Press. He was 81.

The three-time Grammy Award winner, who withdrew from making music in the mid-1980s, died on Monday in Los Angeles, the statement said. His death comes as the public has drawn inspiration from his music during the coronavirus pandemic, with health care workers, choirs, artists and more posting their own renditions on “Lean on Me” to help get through the difficult times.

“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved, devoted husband and father. A solitary man with a heart driven to connect to the world at large, with his poetry and music, he spoke honestly to people and connected them to each other,” the family statement read. “As private a life as he lived close to intimate family and friends, his music forever belongs to the world. In this difficult time, we pray his music offers comfort and entertainment as fans hold tight to loved ones.”

Withers’ songs during his brief career have become the soundtracks of countless engagements, weddings and backyard parties. They have powerful melodies and perfect grooves melded with a smooth voice that conveys honesty and complex emotions without vocal acrobatics.

“Lean on Me,” a paean to friendship, was performed at the inaugurations of both Barack Obama and Bill Clinton. “Ain’t No Sunshine” and “Lean on Me” are among Rolling Stone’s list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

“He’s the last African-American Everyman,” musician and band leader Questlove told Rolling Stone in 2015. “Bill Withers is the closest thing black people have to a Bruce Springsteen.”

His death caused a torrent of appreciation on social media, including from former Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett, who said Withers' music has been a cherished part of her life. “It added to my joy in the good times, and also gave me comfort and inspiration when I needed it most,” she tweeted. Singer José James said “we need his message of unity now more than ever.”

Withers, who overcame a childhood stutter, was born the last of six children in the coal mining town of Slab Fork, West Virginia. After his parents divorced when he was 3, Withers was raised by his mother’s family in nearby Beckley.

He joined the Navy at 17 and spent nine years in the service as an aircraft mechanic installing toilets. After his discharge, he moved to Los Angeles, worked at an aircraft parts factory, bought a guitar at a pawn shop and recorded demos of his tunes in hopes of landing a recording contract.

In 1971, signed to Sussex Records, he put out his first album, “Just As I Am,” with the legendary Booker T. Jones at the helm. It had the hits “Grandma’s Hands” and “Ain’t No Sunshine,” which was inspired by the Jack Lemmon film “Days of Wine and Roses.” He was photographed on the cover, smiling and holding his lunch pail.

“Ain’t No Sunshine” was originally released as the B-side of his debut single, “Harlem.” But radio DJs flipped the disc and the song climbed to No. 3 on the Billboard charts and spent a total of 16 weeks in the top 40.

Withers went on to generate more hits a year later with the inspirational “Lean on Me,” the menacing “Who Is He (and What Is He to You)” and the slinky “Use Me” on his second album, “Still Bill.”

Later would come the striking “ Lovely Day,” co-written with Skip Scarborough and featuring Withers holding the word “day” for almost 19 seconds, and “Just the Two Of Us,” co-written with Ralph MacDonald and William Salter. His “Live at Carnegie Hall” in 1973 made Rolling Stone’s 50 Greatest Live Albums of All Time.

“The hardest thing in songwriting is to be simple and yet profound. And Bill seemed to understand, intrinsically and instinctively, how to do that,” Sting said in “Still Bill,” a 2010 documentary of Withers.

But Withers’ career stalled when Sussex Records went bankrupt and he was scooped up by Columbia Records. He no longer had complete control over his music and chafed when it was suggested he do an Elvis cover. His new executives found Withers difficult.

None of his Columbia albums reached the Top 40 except for 1977’s “Menagerie,” which produced “Lovely Day.” (His hit duet with Grover Washington Jr. “Just the Two of Us” was on Washington’s label). Withers’ last album was 1985′s “Watching You Watching Me.”

Though his songs often dealt with relationships, Withers also wrote ones with social commentary, including “Better Off Dead” about an alcoholic’s suicide, and “I Can’t Write Left-Handed,” about an injured Vietnam War veteran.

He was awarded Grammys as a songwriter for “Ain’t No Sunshine” in 1971 and for “Just the Two Of Us” in 1981. In 1987, Bill received his ninth Grammy nomination and third Grammy as a songwriter for the re-recording of the 1972 hit “ Lean on Me” by Club Nouveau.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2015 by Stevie Wonder. Withers thanked his wife as well as the R&B pioneers who helped his career like Ray Jackson, Al Bell and Booker T. Jones. He also got in a few jabs at the record industry, saying A&R stood for “antagonistic and redundant.” Withers also was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2005.

His music has been covered by such artists as Barbra Streisand, Michael Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Tom Jones, Linda Ronstadt, Paul McCartney, Sting, Johnny Mathis, Aaron Neville, Al Jarreau, Mick Jagger, Nancy Wilson, Diana Ross. His music has been sampled for BlackStreet’s “No Diggity,” Will Smith’s version of “ Just the Two Of Us, ” Black Eyed Peas’ “Bridging the Gap” and Twista’s “Sunshine.” The song “Lean on Me” was the title theme of a 1989 movie starring Morgan Freeman.

His songs are often used on the big screen, including “The Hangover,” “28 Days,” “American Beauty,” “Jerry Maguire,” “Crooklyn,” “Flight,” “Beauty Shop,” “The Secret Life of Pets” and “Flight.”

“I’m not a virtuoso, but I was able to write songs that people could identify with. I don’t think I’ve done bad for a guy from Slab Fork, West Virginia,” Withers told Rolling Stone in 2015.

He is survived by his wife, Marcia, and children, Todd and Kori.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/lean-lovely-day-singer-bill-140145453.html

• 2 weeks later...

Danny Goldman, who voiced Brainy Smurf on the cartoon series The Smurfs, dies at age 80 months after suffering from two stroke

By HEIDI PARKER FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 19:11 BST, 13 April 2020 UPDATED: 19:30 BST, 13 April 2020 

Hollywood actor Danny Goldman has died at the age of 80. The star, who was best known for voicing the character Brainy Smurf in The Smurfs, passed away with friends and family nearby on Sunday, according to TMZ

His death is not related to COVID-19 which has taken over 20,000 lives in the US.

Sad loss: Hollywood actor Danny Goldman has died at the age of 80. The star passed away with friends and family nearby on Sunday, according to TMZ

Sad loss: Hollywood actor Danny Goldman has died at the age of 80. The star passed away with friends and family nearby on Sunday, according to TMZ

His show: He was best known for voicing the character Brainy Smurf in The Smurfs

Read more here

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 胡丽景
13 minutes ago, G_M said:

Bloody Hell, people already passed away and you say such disrespectful things.

1 week suspension for being disrespectful.

WHo.... :blink:

法克牛啦。那颗肿瘤还活着跳着呢。His sister in crime, on the other hand, is so yayapapaya and ah lian i wish she would die while being 法克 by her bf....

Guest Guest
11 minutes ago, G_M said:

Aiyoh!  Don't like that lah... lol

Indian actor Irrfan Khan, who starred in movies like Slumdog Millionaire and Life of Pi, dies at 53

Khan starred in a number of Bollywood films and made his mark in Hollywood films

He died after a prolonged battle with cancer, a spokesman confirmed

Reuters and Agence France-Presse

Published: 3:14pm, 29 Apr, 2020

3383ae72-89ee-11ea-8a72-3b4a65ec119d_ima

You can read more Here

On 4/27/2020 at 3:05 PM, G_M said:

How about acting respectful only after ascertaining the person has attained immortality?

Or after own life experiences deem the individual deserves personal respect.

You both are two of a kind, PURE AND INNOCENT.

Without mentioning the ALTERNATIVE, there goes two sexual fantasies in one go.

Guest Dancing Around A Long Pole

Little Richard, rock ’n’ roll pioneer, dies aged 87
His 1955 song Tutti Frutti, with the lyric ‘awopbopaloobop alopbamboom’, and a series of follow-up records helped establish the genre and influence a multitude of other musicians

Little Richard: a star on both sides of the Atlantic.

Richard’s career began when in the late 1940s but his early recordings with the RCA Victor label garnered little success. His breakthrough came when he signed to Specialty Records in 1955, releasing a run of wild and flamboyant singles – Tutti Frutti, Long Tall Sally, Rip It Up, The Girl Can’t Help It, Lucille, Keep A-Knockin’ and Good Golly, Miss Molly, among others – that made him a star on both sides of the Atlantic.

Richard was known for his outrageous performance style at the piano – eyes lined with mascara, pompadour hair fixed with potato starch, ferocious eyes transfixing audiences – and infectious whoops, a style echoed by dozens of performers, Prince prominent among them. Richard had been a drag performer and by his own admission was involved in voyeurism, allowing men to have sex in the back seat of his car while he watched. He was arrested at least twice for lewd conduct.

His breakthrough single, Tutti Frutti, was originally about anal sex – “If it don’t fit, don’t force it / You can grease it, make it easy” – until producer Bumps Blackwell suggested it be cleaned up. The song bequeathed rock ’n’ roll its greatest expression of joy, whose exact syllables are still debated: “Awopbopaloobop-alopbamboom!”

//

On Saturday, tributes poured in.

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page said Richard “pioneered rock ’n’ roll”, while the Beach Boys lyricist Brian Wilson said “he was there at the beginning and showed us all how to rock ’n’ roll”.

The guitarist Stevie van Zandt said Richard was “the man who invented rock ’n’ roll. Elvis popularised it. Chuck Berry was the storyteller. Richard was the archetype.”

The former Beatles drummer, Ringo Starr, tweeted: “God bless Little Richard, one of my all-time musical heroes. Peace and love to all his family.”

There was also a paean of praise from a Rolling Stone. Mick Jagger tweeted: “I’m so saddened to hear about the passing of Little Richard. He was the biggest inspiration of my early teens and his music still has the same raw electric energy when you play it now as it did when it was first shot through the music scene in the mid 50s. When we were on tour with him, I would watch his moves every night and learn from him how to entertain and involve the audience and he was always so generous with advice to me. He contributed so much to popular music. I will miss you Richard, God bless.”

I loved the song "Tutti Frutti" as a kid and enjoyed Little Richard's guest appearances in various Hollywood movies and television programs. My brother often teased me that I would grow up to be gay for being a fan of such a 'weird' singer, LOL, but I guess that just proves I was born this way. Anyhow, RIP, Richard Penniman (1932-2019).

• 3 weeks later...

Taiwanese actor Wu Pong-fong dies at 55 

Pong-fong Wu from music video

Pong-fong Wu (吳朋奉) , a veteran stage, television, and film actor was found dead in his home after suffering a stroke, Sunday, May 25.

Wu was described as a veteran actor in English language reports, and a Film Emperor in the Chinese language press.

Wu, who has 56 film and television credits on IMDb was a hard working actor who played many supporting roles until he came into the public spotlight with a best supporting actor award at the 2010 Golden Horse Awards for his work in Seven Days in Heaven.

In the following year, Wu was awarded best actor for his role in the film Ranger

Last year, Wu was awarded a Golden Bell Award for best lead actor in a miniseries or television film.

Wu was a versatile actor who often played roles portraying the everyday working class Taiwanese man. He played a sausage vendor in the 2018 miniseries The Coming Through, and a motorcycle repair shop owner in the 2008 hit Cape No. 7.

Wu played the taxi driver, the cop, the gangster, the chef, someone’s dad, brother, friend: the kind of people you would meet on the streets of Taiwan on any given day, and he brought them to life on the screen, because he was one of them: a man of the people.

Wu, who was personally known to this writer, was quintessentially Taiwanese to the point of Taike. When asked if he found the term offensive he said, “It depends on who’s talking and how they say it,” in an interview by the Taipei Times in 2005.

Taike means not forgetting history, Wu told The Wild East Magazine in 2009.

Wu’s Taiwanese identity was formed at an early age despite the fact his father arrived from China after Taiwan’s “retrocession” in 1945.

Growing up in gritty Sanchong City (now a slightly less, but still gritty district of New Taipei City), Wu developed an early interest in traditional folk theater, including puppetry and other performing arts.

At a time when the Taiwanese language was banned in cinema and other media, Wu developed an enduring passion for the language.

In later years, Wu went on to play leading roles, and was a model and teacher for later generations of Taiwanese actors and performers.

https://taiwanenglishnews.com/taiwanese-actor-wu-pong-fong-dies-at-55/

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Try and see
On 6/7/2020 at 2:28 AM, tinkermybutt said:

I hv seen those unhappy in this type of relationship, like celebrities George Michael, Tommy Page and many others who commit suicides. Its not natural its just show its like a fashion in human life.

Sorry to sidetrack, but . . . 

Oh my God!!!! I had no idea that Tommy Page died, and that it was a suicide, until I saw this post and went to google it!!

Used to idolise him like crazy when I was a teenager. Even when he turned 40, he was still so hot and handsome.

My God . . . . The aching void in my heart now . . . 

On 6/7/2020 at 2:28 AM, tinkermybutt said:

I hv seen those unhappy in this type of relationship, like celebrities George Michael, Tommy Page and many others who commit suicides. Its not natural its just show its like a fashion in human life.

Ah.. I am a fan of both GM and TP... George (53) died from liver disease and was still in a relationship with his husband. Tommy Page (46) was also married with his husband and 3 kids. His suicide was only consider "apparent" but no details were given nor was there any report it was due to him being Gay... Just for the record. If you want to proof your point, you need to fact check before you pull names out of the hat and if people find out.... EVEN if you speak the truth about your point of view,, people here might think you are not being truthful.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Try and see
12 minutes ago, Guest Try and see said:

Sorry to sidetrack, but . . . 

Oh my God!!!! I had no idea that Tommy Page died, and that it was a suicide, until I saw this post and went to google it!!

Used to idolise him like crazy when I was a teenager. Even when he turned 40, he was still so hot and handsome.

My God . . . . The aching void in my heart now . . . 

Rest in peace, Tommy.  😢

I knew he passed away but din know he is gay.

fresh off the boat gasp GIF by ABC Network

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Try and see
20 minutes ago, fab said:

I knew he passed away but din know if is is gay.

There were a lot of gay rumours circulating when he was alive but he managed to hide the existence of his family (i.e. his husband and their three kids) from the public and the music industry until his death.

Any report on y did he suicide?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Try and see
  • G_M changed the title to Celebrities / Famous Personalities Who Have Passed Away (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.