Male HQ

Memories of Old Fort Road Beach

Guest Nick1969

Guest Butterfly

clever boy. You are right the 2 men around 40.  The photo around. 1998 when truck will dump hdb flat renovation debris there.  Otherwise the whole area is muddy on rainy day.  There are Indians there who say don't have. I remember got one regular muscular who always show his big LJ that`s why the SinMin reporter run his naked photo to report on Fort rd story. Next day onwards he go permanently missing. Lol.

Got one I really scared of him. He looked like going to rape you type and I was alone walking naked. I quickly rushed into the bushes when he started running after me with a xiao lang laughter from the breakwater.  Haha he is not my match when entering the labyrinth. I exited that day without doing anything. As usual, I rinse with the 1 litre bottle water.  Usually this is another of my show - bath naked open shower.  Not funny lah.  Got people even funnier -  having sex up a tree.  They use planks drifted ashore to have a platform up there. I don't know maybe like that got no ants I think. There are so much interesting things happening there if I go on I be dead tired.  

By the way, Ah Hock is not from Fort rd.  He cannot protect himself type if go there sure kena cannot go home. Always Kena cheated and bullied since young boy. His primary school mates always disturb him like ordering him to show cock, pull down his pants, etc just because his phallus is outstanding long.  Even I also bluff him so many things.  hai ya very bad one.

Now if anyone took the trouble to use Google map and use the 360 camera view to navigate the roads you will see what it is roughly like TODAY. Granted google map now is about 2-5 yrs old now as I am not sure how often they reshoot the Singapore roads but judging from what i saw in some of the google maps of streets, it is quite old given maybe less used roads are updated less times. Maybe I can throw some light further to cool some of those who think FORT ROAD CAN BE "TAKEN BACK".

fortrd2.jpg.2fdea268bac662061d90a030da7f9c6e.jpg

That pink area marks where all the entire length of the fly over at Fort Road was a happening place in the night and dark. Those days, underside of fly over had no lights.
Note that back then this road you see going under it was that wide and it stop short at the front as you look further into a like a small round about. You use that to also get to the famous Fort Road Car park. Now you see the condos on the right side? That WAS NOT THERE. So was that road on ther right to turn left into Fort Road. There was never any roads on both side of the flyover. It was just the ECP flyover that exist back then apart from the East Coast Service road which also ended at this round about that turns out to Fort Road and the Foret Road Car Park. Many people would sometime sit there waiting for picks but also normal str8 folks. Also people from there go off the park and get back to this condo furthre down after Katong park. Katong Park is not in the phone but from this angle it is to the right behind the camera shot. this big road running thru now goes all the way to MCE or the famous beach front portion.

fortrd1.jpg.01b6a83cdab2db05d4d82e8c3592dd85.jpg

This from the left side a little to show how extensive the happening ground under the bridge was for all kinds of action. It was littered with barrels, planks, bricks.. all kinds including rubbish as contractor use this to throw their stuff...illegally. Not the place you want to see in the day time as it was urine smell in certain parts where guys already got use to for pee. heheh... So it was more trees and scrubs on both side of the flyover.. Not what you see now.. It now has 3 way (or more?) junction so it gets really busy and lots of high lamp lights from cares criss crossing under it PLUS there are now lighting under the fly over. So how you want to cruise there now? Its too open and more people are using this area to get off or on to the east coast park.

807208821_fortroadunderbridge.thumb.jpg.d4f59fb3cebd8b4a84da8775477a9828.jpg

This is under the flyover.... the CRUISING FUCK ZONE. Minus the smaller road runing under it back then. Near this road, guys do not hang but closer to both sides of the fly over. heheheheh How are you going to do it now? All this areas was caked mud or some other soil (hate being there after a rain) and rough ground and full of thrown rubbish but it never stops anyone and even if police car came, you can run in so many directions and their cars can not get access to give chase unless on foot heeheh.  Now this is a view from near the tiny round about which is no longer there. So behind me on the left is the famous car park at Fort Road or off Fort Road. To my right behind is East Coast Park Service road and bike/foot path..etc

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Okay now further on.

1715568404_fortunderbridge1.jpg.b8c75f2b27e20ca873ea2913400252c6.jpg

This is the left side of the fly over and it has that side road that goes to Changi Airport now. Last time no such road or those condo

503649449_fortunderbridge2.jpg.38b0199770e615c8d3b6071830f43eba.jpg

This is the other side of the flyover. Back then no side road like what you see now and no condos on the right side of this photo. So it was almost one long abeit the smaller Fort Road that run thru to the small round about and Fort Raod Car Park. Most people stick to the further ends of both side for actions as the flyover slants down to a lower ceiling and madeit more dark. I guess it help with the walk in the dark and grope heheh.. I know I got grope more then a few times back then like everyone else heheh.. It was too dark to see who is who.. so long you touch a dick.. it is fun LOL.

660014837_Fortroadflyover.jpg.03ea5e0592ddba73bc5a4eb5caa27dfb.jpg

So this is Fort Road Now from where I said there was a tiny roundabout. to my left would be the Famous Fort Road Car Park and to my right East Coast Park Service road and park. Remember the main road and the two side road leading toward me did not exist back then. But basically this was one of the keypoint area people would make their way to the beach front behind this photo angle. People do cruise here too or wait about. SO did cars and motorbike tryign to get in from here thru the rough terrain to fish and paktor apart from the other guys who go there to fish a different kind of 'fish'

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

PLEASE NOTE.. ALL THIS GOOGLE PHOTO MIGHT BE 2-5 yrs or more older as i said. Take this all with that consideration

884434128_FortroadtowardsMCE.thumb.jpg.0c1b463b91688b7d0341a2aa71032633.jpg

Toward the front near the metal green flyover for bikes to get from East Coast to Marina East Park and Barrage. Back then this was not there. Near to it along this big wide road which was NOT there before, ended near the green overhead path with a little round about and if you look right, there is the fanous Car park. It's day time this was shot so not much trucks and coaches that park there now. But some cars park between those truck to have some action too and this INCLUDED STR8 Couples. But over time the gays were around too many which led to many str8 couples going there. Because as more gay guys drove cars there to have sex, more were too daring to peep or even try to join in to touch or more. another bad thing about that is if you are a gay car, some will block your car from leaving to go else where. Though not forcefully, but they made it hard for you to do so. Meaning mostly the drama bitches btm who too itchy and want action from the more better looking ones. Yes we have sisters there too the more daring and not so good-looking but damn forward in their behavor to get some groping or more. I recall I was there with a fellow BW and we were on a nude ride around parts of Singapore and walk out of our car to go walk there nude and else where. As we drove to park, already many start coming around and when we walked out nude and walk about 100mm in side we have some following hoping for some action. this was like already the fading of Fort Road about 8 yrs ago? Anyway, we walked back to the car to drive off but had also a hard time reversing out due to another car with gay block us from the back. Saw it done to others years ago and did not expect that to happen to us too. Oh well....

1483263087_Fortroadandcarpark.thumb.jpg.1c4873509139c57b9adb625532ff9bb5.jpg

Yes that is the carpark today. ( well 2-5 yrs ago from this google map)

1458842986_fortroadtotheleftforst.thumb.jpg.c9bb7480359db81159b132c84d394068.jpg

See the arrow I drew in red.. for those who want to TAKE BACK THIS PLACE FOR FUN, there is still a run down path of what's left of the bike path that goes in that direction and a little further but not more about 150m on. All forest on both side and no benches or shelter.. if you are that daring you can bring your guy to come here to do it on the ground with sheets or whatever heheh no cars can go in there and no lights.. you are on your own. If you think people do come here often today, you are out of your mind heheheheh I know I would. I am not intimidated by all these though the only thing I worry about are some slithering snakes and stuff that do live there given its a bird sanctuary. Also today, on the left there are a couple of engineering building warehouses there too. This is not a new shot remember. But if you care, this place you might try your luck at TAKING BACK :P

1827571934_FortroadtowardsMCEfencingends.thumb.jpg.a5e5d7cabed96f558049627edbe0b4a0.jpg

This on the left side facing toward the direction of the Beach Front, is the last part of East Coast Park foot/bike path on the ground. the rest of the way is getting onto that greet overhead metal bridge thingy to get to Marina East Park/Marina Barrage. I know that fence very well as indicated. Many a good times I bend over that fence and let some guy take me from the back hahahah.... mmm  good times. I was not the only one too. that long fencing is still there as it prevent you from falling into a man-made canal there. Many a guys cruise that fence area. If no action, we proceed to get over the canal where this road is to get to the reclaim land and roam about or head straight to the beachfront which is a long walk unless like me you had a bike. Yes again, in those days this road DID NOT EXIST.

Edited by upshot

1603586575_beachfrontnomore.thumb.jpg.f01a77e4719cfaabdf35b0a3ff611037.jpg

Okay this road did not exist and right in front was where the beach front area was and as you can see, it is not empty but full of development and by now there should be more given this google photo is old. And the road leads to MCE and the golf course which takes up a big portion of land we use to roam and it is fenced and guarded just like other buildings here.

It was fun while it last and for those who did not get that chance. Too bad. It is over. something are not meant to live forever heheh your time will come when you find a freaking place for your own generation of fun. But for us old farts, we had our moment.

Get on google map now and go follow the road. I hope I manage to give you guys some info of what this place look like today and hearing about what was it like back then. And why it can happen then and not now.

Edited by upshot

fencing.thumb.jpg.65c8394a1ec30234393644a0c009faf0.jpg

More on that fencing along the canal. So here is another view. It is still there.. and maybe some die hard might be there but also this area now has more people going by but this was a long walk cruising fence for sure. Now there is the overhead metal green bike path there so not as private as before. There are also some park lights here too. After midnight, they do switch them off at times. I still see them on on weekdays when I cycle by. This shot is facing the sea. to my left side will be the rest of East Coast Park.

The fence and canal is covered as you see by those trees and scrub in the photos. This was also there back then and it was good as it blocks off the view from the reclaimed land in front of it. this canal and fence is what divided this part of the park from the reclaim land we head to the beachfront or just road the large piece of land.

Edited by upshot

2 hours ago, upshot said:

More on that fencing along the canal. So here is another view. It is still there.. and maybe some die hard might be there but also this area now has more people going by but this was a long walk cruising fence for sure. Now there is the overhead metal green bike path there so not as private as before. There are also some park lights here too. After midnight, they do switch them off at times. I still see them on on weekdays when I cycle by. This shot is facing the sea. to my left side will be the rest of East Coast Park.

The fence and canal is covered as you see by those trees and scrub in the photos. This was also there back then and it was good as it blocks off the view from the reclaimed land in front of it. this canal and fence is what divided this part of the park from the reclaim land we head to the beachfront or just road the large piece of land.

Thanks much, great effort in researching this info, I learnt a lot, appreciate it. 

Guest Cruisy

Don't underestimate the horny powers of horny gays to search and search for sex LOL.

Where there's a convenient dark, isolated spot, they'll advertise and spread it by words of mouth. That's how cruising spots formed.

Right now, there's those here already searching for Fort Rd revival. It's such a big area, even with new developments, they can't light up every nooks and crannies. That's what we are searching for.

Guest Cruisy
3 hours ago, upshot said:

I remember this fence because one night when the police suddenly raided, some gays jumped into the canal !

I was lucky because I remembered where someone had placed a big plank to cross this canal and I rushed across to hide in the bushes. I could hear the police catching those in the canal like fishes in a tub.

Just now, Guest Cruisy said:

I remember this fence because one night when the police suddenly raided, some gays jumped into the canal !

I was lucky because I remembered where someone had placed a big plank to cross this canal and I rushed across to hide in the bushes. I could hear the police catching those in the canal like fishes in a tub.

Catch for wat? Polices want also ar?

1 hour ago, Guest Cruisy said:

hahah ya.. I have done that a few times and carry my bike over. There are places you can do that or just hide by going down the staircase if you know where they are. I survey those spot and marked out all the escape route not just from Police but others too. But only can do that if there is low tide and water in the canal is low if not it can be dangerous and slippery as some seaweeds collect at the bottom. It's was later that they started using high beam torches to shine into the canal. So best to cross over and climb out from another set of stairs on the opposite side of the canal into the forest.

The irony for me was.. I was also involve in the police patrol and raid there heheh... Nah.. nothing much come of it but to take them back or let them off after spot check and IC check. My time was when G div was still handling certain part of East Coast shared with F div.

Edited by upshot

11 minutes ago, Neh Neh said:

Why it is called fort rd? Was there a british fort before?

Google is your friend.

Fort Road was likely named after an old fort on the site of Katong Park. Fort Tanjong Katong was commissioned by the British War Office, and completed in August 1879 to protect Singapore’s eastern shores against seaborne attacks.7 The fort was demolished after the World War I, and Katong Park was constructed in its place in the 1930s.8

7 minutes ago, Neh Neh said:

Fort Road was likely named after an old fort on the site of Katong Park. Fort Tanjong Katong was commissioned by the British War Office, and completed in August 1879 to protect Singapore’s eastern shores against seaborne attacks.7 The fort was demolished after the World War I, and Katong Park was constructed in its place in the 1930s.8

See not hard. Very Fast too heh.

Guest Cruisy

I remember there's always one or 2 big excavators left around during the early construction phases.

After 6pm the workers will knock off leaving them unattended.

Some of us pervy uncles will then wait till the sunset lights get dim but not dark before climbing on board.

I'll sit in the driver seat totally naked enjoying the quiet sunset hours, sipping my drinks.

Occasionally some curious guys will spot me being naked and climb up looking for sex. I'll straddle my legs over the side door exposing my lubed hole when he climb up from that side. 

Not surprisingly, most times they were put off seeing a butt crack greeting them and backed off. I guess most of them were bottoms too. Sometimes one or 2 will finger my hole.

So I guess you can say that I'm just as pervy as that uncle who like to tie himself up or the one wearing the very tiny red G-string. I'm not that daring to be seen so easily, I prefer hide and seek kind of surprises. I don't tie myself up but hid in the well known obvious secret chambers. The others will check these chambers regularly.

I'll be there butt naked and laying down on some planks or cardboards with my added clean newspapers, and pretending to read the papers but using it to cover my face actually. I'll open my legs wide for obvious invitations.

Again, there's seldom any tops who want to fuck. Most are the pervy regulars who will look look touch touch but moved on. But then occasionally there's some action and it's fun to be taken in broad daylight and those voyeurs peeping from the nearby bushes very discreetly. Those were the early days before saunas. From shadowy creatures seeking sex in the alleyways and backlanes at the midnight hours, it's very mind blowing to be screwed in broad daylight with the voyeurs peeping nearby. 

My dirtiest nottiest deed then was after the top had me, he left and I'll still be laying there exhibiting my well fucked butts waiting to be touched by those pervy voyeurs. For lack of Aids awareness then, yes I was taken raw and I knew that my hole oozing with his juices will lure the pervy voyeurs to come closer and touch. Open anal sex was equally mind blowing to them, many of them said it's the first time they had seen actual anal sex so close and clearly in broad daylight. So they came out to touch and examine me once they knew I was that openly receptive in so many ways. Those were the days without easy access to gay porn, most of them were afraid of anal sex and also despise bottoms like me. Still they wanted to know why I enjoyed being screwed and worse of all, in front of strangers watching. And openly exhibit myself after that, so disgusting.

I guess it's the thrill of knowing most of them were new to anal sex and watching this for the first time in their lives and their innocent astonishment. When they touched me tentatively and trembling with disgust and excitement, I was feeling like being touched by 40yo virgins.

Guest Guest Memory
17 hours ago, Guest Cruisy said:

I remember there's always one or 2 big excavators left around during the early construction phases.

After 6pm the workers will knock off leaving them unattended.

Some of us pervy uncles will then wait till the sunset lights get dim but not dark before climbing on board.

I'll sit in the driver seat totally naked enjoying the quiet sunset hours, sipping my drinks.

Occasionally some curious guys will spot me being naked and climb up looking for sex. I'll straddle my legs over the side door exposing my lubed hole when he climb up from that side. 

Not surprisingly, most times they were put off seeing a butt crack greeting them and backed off. I guess most of them were bottoms too. Sometimes one or 2 will finger my hole.

So I guess you can say that I'm just as pervy as that uncle who like to tie himself up or the one wearing the very tiny red G-string. I'm not that daring to be seen so easily, I prefer hide and seek kind of surprises. I don't tie myself up but hid in the well known obvious secret chambers. The others will check these chambers regularly.

I'll be there butt naked and laying down on some planks or cardboards with my added clean newspapers, and pretending to read the papers but using it to cover my face actually. I'll open my legs wide for obvious invitations.

Again, there's seldom any tops who want to fuck. Most are the pervy regulars who will look look touch touch but moved on. But then occasionally there's some action and it's fun to be taken in broad daylight and those voyeurs peeping from the nearby bushes very discreetly. Those were the early days before saunas. From shadowy creatures seeking sex in the alleyways and backlanes at the midnight hours, it's very mind blowing to be screwed in broad daylight with the voyeurs peeping nearby. 

My dirtiest nottiest deed then was after the top had me, he left and I'll still be laying there exhibiting my well fucked butts waiting to be touched by those pervy voyeurs. For lack of Aids awareness then, yes I was taken raw and I knew that my hole oozing with his juices will lure the pervy voyeurs to come closer and touch. Open anal sex was equally mind blowing to them, many of them said it's the first time they had seen actual anal sex so close and clearly in broad daylight. So they came out to touch and examine me once they knew I was that openly receptive in so many ways. Those were the days without easy access to gay porn, most of them were afraid of anal sex and also despise bottoms like me. Still they wanted to know why I enjoyed being screwed and worse of all, in front of strangers watching. And openly exhibit myself after that, so disgusting.

I guess it's the thrill of knowing most of them were new to anal sex and watching this for the first time in their lives and their innocent astonishment. When they touched me tentatively and trembling with disgust and excitement, I was feeling like being touched by 40yo virgins.

Yummy

Guest Cruisy
3 minutes ago, Guest Guest Memory said:

Yummy

I tend to agree with @upshot that we can never bring back the good old days of Fort Rd.

Nowadays with the internet, so much gay apps and so much gay porn freely available, gays are already bored about seeing sex. It's not just too common but they also had this unrealistic very high expectations that they'll only be watching those that match the bodies of porn stars.

Unlike those innocent days where seeing a naked full grown man with legs up in the air and really getting screwed royally was something they never thought would be possible. One guy even told me that he spontaneously ejaculated like crazy when watching the free show.

And the funny part was that he's married, run a fish stall at the market with his wife. So every morning, he had to get up very early to buy fish at wholesale price at the fish port. There, the wholesale workers wear the barest minimum because of the dirty environment and he said their sweating wet and glistening bodies made him felt something inside. He was feeling so frustrated inside because even when he managed to see some of them naked and showering at the toilets, it's all see no touch. 

When he finished selling at noon, he'll be free to relax at coffee shops while others were still working. Then he heard whispers about Fort Rd and decided to visit a few times.

Finally, finally he got to see naked men having sex and my glistening body bathed in sweat was exactly what he wanted to touch. I answered all his questions about anal sex and let him touch my most private parts. Unfortunately, his exploding ejaculation left him totally drained and he couldn't get it up in desperation. I was understanding unlike his wife. I guess by now he knew why he found it difficult to get it up for her.

Nowadays, you won't find such 40yo virgins anymore. Everybody's been around the block, the atmosphere is just not right anymore.

Thanks for all the accounts here, this thread has been really helpful for me to revisit and also learn more about Fort Road.

By the time I came of age, most of what was the cruising area of Fort Road was already cleared, I only remember being introduced to the carpark by my then-boyfriend on one of our late night drives. He wanted to show me parts of Singapore that he knew were gay areas, and we would drive around Ann Siang Hill or to the Fort Road carpark. Being mostly closeted back then, these were moments when we could spend time, even from a distance, with ‘people like us’.

I read these fascinating accounts about what it was like back then and attempt to reconstruct it in my mind. I have been trying to do research to find out more about the site and its history, and also went back to visit it and document what it looks like. Just sharing some old photos here to add to the collective archive.

FR_0.jpg.4f3097e92f768c687a60dccea115663d.jpg

This is part of the ruins that gives Fort Road its name, in response to Neh Neh's comment. This is located in Katong Park.

FR_1.jpg.5ffcbfd3c5ed5b2e8a1b82b31e58ff13.jpg

This is the renovated public toilet that is along East Coast Park, closest to Fort Road.

FR_3.jpg.0d88990b88c375c56982dfc31791b047.jpg

FR_2.jpg.be587b5655a5ad787e79bedc138a334c.jpg

Different views of the canal that separated the area from East Coast Park - the canal runs all the way to the sea, acting as an artificial barrier.

FR_4.jpg.7d546a1c40814f0a2f974706869eff8f.jpg

Half of the area was blocked off and fenced up, with security cameras positioned at entrances - this is at the end of the newly constructed segment of Fort Road that ends at a pier. It is mainly construction sites where granite / gravel is stored.

FR_5.jpg.52e848f5e3bb2d9d41c02cadf85c4ad6.jpg

We tried to walk into the area where the construction site is - there was no barrier, but the vegetation was rather dense.

FR_6.jpg.9940aa414f943666b4f1d2c18bc48077.jpg

This was as close to the sea as we could get to, this area wasn't cordoned off but required some bashing through the forest. It was very empty and most of the land has since been cleared for construction work.

FR_7.jpg.f8e996fb15888dd0a292dbb40a479085.jpg

FR_8.jpg.fdd98962325083282a6997d48b729495.jpg

This was the area between Gardens by the Bay East and East Coast Park, where the golf course is.

Fort Road in Artistic Representation

Fort Road as a cruising site has been represented in various artistic forms - visual artist Jason Wee refers to it obliquely in his work up at the Mountbatten MRT station along the Circle Line titled ‘Lord Mountbatten Thinks of Pink’. You can see a photo of the installation here.

Poet Cyril Wong has also written a piece about Fort Road.

Playwright Alfian Sa’at wrote about Fort Road in ‘The Widow of Fort Road’, a short vignette that was part of the play ‘Landmarks: Asian Boys Volume 2’. A review of the play is accessible here.

This was one of the experiences that led filmmaker Boo Junfeng to make ‘Tanjong Rhu’ the film - Junfeng’s account about this is here.

On my part, I’m still interested in gathering oral history accounts of experiences of cruising at Fort Road, particularly around the 1990s when police entrapment was going on. If anyone reading this is comfortable speaking about this on record, please do reach out and drop me a message.

I think it is really important to preserve these memories in their various forms - be it on film, as a blog post, on these bulletin board threads as a way of remembering queer / gay life and existence, and to build a collective memory.

Edited by ZH_L

4 hours ago, ZH_L said:

Wah.. this canal and the well known long fence that line the canal .. much memories for sure hahahah..... Bend over and deliver comes to mind :P

No one really to go the other side and be standing at the fence though (right side fencing I mean). Because if you can get over to that other side of the fence railing, you rather be at the beach front. If you are cruising the fence it is always on the left side in the photo at night. This is because it is a little further from the foot/bike path so the lighting does not reach it all the way so it was dimly lit. It's during full moon as you walk along it you get to see guys a bit clearer. heh

Edited by upshot

2 hours ago, Latte said:

When was this taken?

This is a bit later liao... but this time not as much people are going there.

9 hours ago, ZH_L said:

Thanks for all the accounts here, this thread has been really helpful for me to revisit and also learn more about Fort Road.

By the time I came of age, most of what was the cruising area of Fort Road was already cleared, I only remember being introduced to the carpark by my then-boyfriend on one of our late night drives. He wanted to show me parts of Singapore that he knew were gay areas, and we would drive around Ann Siang Hill or to the Fort Road carpark. Being mostly closeted back then, these were moments when we could spend time, even from a distance, with ‘people like us’.

I read these fascinating accounts about what it was like back then and attempt to reconstruct it in my mind. I have been trying to do research to find out more about the site and its history, and also went back to visit it and document what it looks like. Just sharing some old photos here to add to the collective archive.

This is part of the ruins that gives Fort Road its name, in response to Neh Neh's comment. This is located in Katong Park.

This is the renovated public toilet that is along East Coast Park, closest to Fort Road.

Different views of the canal that separated the area from East Coast Park - the canal runs all the way to the sea, acting as an artificial barrier.

Half of the area was blocked off and fenced up, with security cameras positioned at entrances - this is at the end of the newly constructed segment of Fort Road that ends at a pier. It is mainly construction sites where granite / gravel is stored.

FR_5.jpg.52e848f5e3bb2d9d41c02cadf85c4ad6.jpg

We tried to walk into the area where the construction site is - there was no barrier, but the vegetation was rather dense.

This was as close to the sea as we could get to, this area wasn't cordoned off but required some bashing through the forest. It was very empty and most of the land has since been cleared for construction work.

This was the area between Gardens by the Bay East and East Coast Park, where the golf course is.

Fort Road in Artistic Representation

Fort Road as a cruising site has been represented in various artistic forms - visual artist Jason Wee refers to it obliquely in his work up at the Mountbatten MRT station along the Circle Line titled ‘Lord Mountbatten Thinks of Pink’. You can see a photo of the installation here.

Poet Cyril Wong has also written a piece about Fort Road.

Playwright Alfian Sa’at wrote about Fort Road in ‘The Widow of Fort Road’, a short vignette that was part of the play ‘Landmarks: Asian Boys Volume 2’. A review of the play is accessible here.

This was one of the experiences that led filmmaker Boo Junfeng to make ‘Tanjong Rhu’ the film - Junfeng’s account about this is here.

On my part, I’m still interested in gathering oral history accounts of experiences of cruising at Fort Road, particularly around the 1990s when police entrapment was going on. If anyone reading this is comfortable speaking about this on record, please do reach out and drop me a message.

I think it is really important to preserve these memories in their various forms - be it on film, as a blog post, on these bulletin board threads as a way of remembering queer / gay life and existence, and to build a collective memory.

my oh my, those were the days.. it was fun..nice..sexy.. how i miss it 

older4younger

6 hours ago, Neh Neh said:

Dear Upshot

Where was the place shown picture A, B or C. The btm will bend over the railing to get pound hard by the top?

The fence is very accessible as it is just before the green overhead bike ramp. This is before reaching Fort Road where my earlier photo show you the famous car park.. this fencing is long. he could have shot it from anywhere along this long fencing. He shot the photo showing more the opposite side of the canal. If his camera angle was more left hand side I can tell you more accurately where that is. I alway past it on my way to the Barrage via the green overhead ramp for bikes.

The last picture not too sure but i think it is  by walking to the other side of the canal fence, he walked along the hard pack path along the fences toward Eat Coast park and at the end turn right to walk out toward the sea,,, this is I think the breaker edge. People make their way there to fish from the breaker or small shore line if it still exist. I have not walk there in a long time. So might be wrong.

See my added indicator map for more details if that helps your curiosity heheh

Edited by upshot

11 hours ago, ZH_L said:

Wah you went all the way to the Golf Course at the far end of the Beach Front area. This area used to see the higher number of cars and lorries ..etc because land here not as rough with deep potholes and large size structures dumped about. Also the place many str8 bring their g/f to have sex in cars heheh People into sea fishing also park on this side as they make their way to face the water edge to facing Gardens by the Bay.

Edited by upshot

Okay, I try to roughly indicate where i think he shot these photos for those who want to know where that might be. Note I could be wrong hor heheh.

'O' Mark the spot.

o2.thumb.jpg.3aa9ce97345a412fcd0af9c4794c5a33.jpg

Note: This toilet has been there since the early days. It has gone thru a few renovation but it was the one place the guys would come to wash up after thier action or to also walk walk and see other guys hanging around there. they at sometime lock the place after midnight but people as usual know how to get in  hehehe

If you look at where it is, you can figure out why the guys go there as it is the only one around and nearest to clean up if you feel the need.

ALSO NOTE: Next to it is a Car Prk. Druing my time, when the police raid, this is where the 'ANG CHIA' ( Red Police Lorry command vehicle and diviision cars wil park hehehe )

o1.thumb.jpg.65ae105b6d6e9978a877a45d73dcaa21.jpg

o3.thumb.jpg.d352d86fa4d009e9d142ae6eb7f09450.jpg

o4.thumb.jpg.7df3b1ade1b3535055599754030003ad.jpg

The map is from Google Map... use this to help you find the location in google map and zoom in closer for a better view if you like.

Hope that helps.   ... Haters STFU,

Edited by upshot

Okay for these location I know where he went..... this part you might dare to try to sun but there are other construction near by and they might call the cops on you. But if you do it is more you bring your own cock to screw then you go there to find or wait for one heheh...

But yes this was one of those breaker point for suntan... nude of course. But it has changed much. I have not been there for a long time too..as it gets harder and harder to go in or you go in and find it not as secluded for anything unless you want to be Tarzan and go inside the thick bird Sanctuary and with the creepy  crawlies. But maybe good place to do nude artsy photography if you tolerate the mossies as well.

12 hours ago, ZH_L said:

o5.thumb.jpg.5cda7f29892b3e148f0a5a3732e3e7a1.jpg

Yes that is the famous Heli Pad that was there too and it is infamous as nude sun bathers would strut their stuff on it if not laying down to catch some rays or frolicking with someone. But what got this place infamous was people on bumboat that make use of travelling close to the shore as it enter the sea inlet to get to Clifford Pier under the Shears Bridge.. they come so close with cameras that they shot photos of the nudies LOL... so over time reporters took the same boats and yes with camera zoom SHOT more than an eyeful of naughty body parts and publish them in papers.

3 hours ago, upshot said:

Okay for these location I know where he went..... this part you might dare to try to sun but there are other construction near by and they might call the cops on you. But if you do it is more you bring your own cock to screw then you go there to find or wait for one heheh...

But yes this was one of those breaker point for suntan... nude of course. But it has changed much. I have not been there for a long time too..as it gets harder and harder to go in or you go in and find it not as secluded for anything unless you want to be Tarzan and go inside the thick bird Sanctuary and with the creepy  crawlies. But maybe good place to do nude artsy photography if you tolerate the mossies as well.

Yes that is the famous Heli Pad that was there too and it is infamous as nude sun bathers would strut their stuff on it if not laying down to catch some rays or frolicking with someone. But what got this place infamous was people on bumboat that make use of travelling close to the shore as it enter the sea inlet to get to Clifford Pier under the Shears Bridge.. they come so close with cameras that they shot photos of the nudies LOL... so over time reporters took the same boats and yes with camera zoom SHOT more than an eyeful of naughty body parts and publish them in papers.

Way before I came out, I had occasionally come here to suntan and beo the guys.  I didn't do it in the nude but sometimes I would roll up my trunks into almost a g-string, exposing my  butt for suntanning.

One time I was walking along the beach facing inland with my trunks rolled up. Then I turned around and saw a boat crowded with people approaching the shoreline. They were so close and all of them were starring curiously at me and the others. I quickly walked away while unrolling my trunks. Can't recall whether this coincided with newspaper reports of nudist beach but I stopped going there for quite long time after this :( 

Guest history
On 5/25/2020 at 3:09 PM, raind said:

Thanks for this. But I think there are some historical facts not quite correct.

You wrote:

late-90s, a road extending into the reclaimed area was built. this road was to serve major construction projects around the area include the construction of the kallang-paya lebar expressway (kpe), as a holding area for the debris from the nicol highway collapse, and for the building of the marina expressway (mce) later. the east coast park running track was, as a result, dissected and to allow park goers continued access and joggers uninterrupted jogging experience across the new road, a new elevated metal track was constructed. there were also reports of frequent police raids on gay men in this area.

The construction fence at the area was only put up on a later stage in the early 2000 (but not already in late 90s) The road into the reclaimed area behind the roundabout was only built somewhere after 2002 or 2003 and not as early as you mentioned in your blog.

Someone who lives at the area may help to get the years correct.

First there was the fence put up, then only some year(s) later the road on gravel was build for construction equipment and construction trucks. Then light posts were built next to the road inside. Maybe later concrete parts on top of this road. Then, one day they had this temporary steel bridge for cyclists and pedestrian to walk over above the construction area at the entrance. Some time later they did some "upgrading" at the re-developed "park" or connector behind the car park as this area was fenced up too.

But as to my memory the main construction and sealing off behind the area at the roundabout was only somewhere in the early 2000, more to 2003 and clearly not already in the late 90s.

The earliest I could imagine was 2001 or 2002 but definitely not in late 90s.

Guest memory lane
On 8/25/2020 at 9:07 PM, upshot said:

PLEASE NOTE.. ALL THIS GOOGLE PHOTO MIGHT BE 2-5 yrs or more older as i said. Take this all with that consideration

1483263087_Fortroadandcarpark.thumb.jpg.1c4873509139c57b9adb625532ff9bb5.jpg

Yes that is the carpark today. ( well 2-5 yrs ago from this google map)

1458842986_fortroadtotheleftforst.thumb.jpg.c9bb7480359db81159b132c84d394068.jpg

1827571934_FortroadtowardsMCEfencingends.thumb.jpg.a5e5d7cabed96f558049627edbe0b4a0.jpg

21 hours ago, ZH_L said:

it is nice to keep the memories up. But let's be honest, Fort Road will not come back. It is gone, it is a thing of the past...

It is a pity that the sandy beach part is gone. Everywhere they built this ugly concrete and brick shore lines in Singapore. This is very artificial and ugly in my view.

The government could have left a natural sand beach at West Coast park but...

As to my privy knowledge, the area at Fort Road is reserved for the construction of waterfront condos. There was the idea to place the Cruise ship terminal at this area but it was later built on Marina Bay because of being nearer to the skyline and city (and a faster MRT connection to bring the money spending Cruise passengers into town).

I m not sure if the golf course has been removed already but there was an article some year ago for condo development on the area. Currently they are running the construction for the Thomson East Coast MRT and once this is completed the Condos might be build. They might be on hold due to the economic situation, which was not at best prior to the Covid crisis.

There are plenty of interesting areas suitable for cruising in Singapore. Forested area behind Bukit Timah road to Holland Road/ Ave, extremely silent at evening ( I don't want to be too precise, ha ha). Many overhead bridges of highways, just take some at Ayer Rajah area, well covered and forested around them.

But nobody uses them or makes something out of it.

1 hour ago, Guest memory lane said:

it is nice to keep the memories up. But let's be honest, Fort Road will not come back. It is gone, it is a thing of the past...

It is a pity that the sandy beach part is gone. Everywhere they built this ugly concrete and brick shore lines in Singapore. This is very artificial and ugly in my view.

The government could have left a natural sand beach at West Coast park but...

As to my privy knowledge, the area at Fort Road is reserved for the construction of waterfront condos. There was the idea to place the Cruise ship terminal at this area but it was later built on Marina Bay because of being nearer to the skyline and city (and a faster MRT connection to bring the money spending Cruise passengers into town).

I m not sure if the golf course has been removed already but there was an article some year ago for condo development on the area. Currently they are running the construction for the Thomson East Coast MRT and once this is completed the Condos might be build. They might be on hold due to the economic situation, which was not at best prior to the Covid crisis.

There are plenty of interesting areas suitable for cruising in Singapore. Forested area behind Bukit Timah road to Holland Road/ Ave, extremely silent at evening ( I don't want to be too precise, ha ha). Many overhead bridges of highways, just take some at Ayer Rajah area, well covered and forested around them.

But nobody uses them or makes something out of it.

Golf course is still there far as I can see it.. BUt there are still a lot of pockets of lands mass there still to do those condos and what nots.  Not like we have a choice when more of these concrete jungle creep up.. it is that or you throw more people out of Singapore. We are a fixed cup that is almost 'runneth-over' the only way is up and out like with reclaim lands. There are a lot of pockets of place to have fun but we don't all share as it might ruin it or you find many also not adventurous to go seek them out. And sometime.. certain place is just too niche...not all want it or like it.

Changi Business Park I feel is still ok.. it use to be my hot zone for my nude bike riding but with the Uni there and a bit more development. less people go there. There still are as each rare time i go, I still got some action or s few action per night heh. .But it has dropped a little but with a bike there are great spots there I can walk nude and even next to the expressway if I choose to be naughty and flash some cars heheh

The new Changi Coastal Road which now is extended around the new reclaim land is another place...but there are far and out of the way if you do not have some means to get there. So ya, there are spots in Singapore for sure. The things is you might not get a concentration of people going there enough to make it a regular hangout. Plus authority might be concern as it can also bring its fair share of illicit issues and other criminal activities. I know for a fact why Police did raid at Fort Road and the likes of it. Criminal acts has happen there and I know some of them and also drug use and other intimidation acts which gets report and require they make regular visits there to discourage this from happen as often if at all. Those were the say before mobile phone was the rage. I know, I got blackmail somewhat into having sex with two guys who hid my clothing But others might get it a lot worst or took to such sexual act as a scarring memory to haunt them for their rest of their life. Ya.. Fort Road was fun but it had a dark side too. And AIDS made it a lot more dangerous too over time.

12 hours ago, upshot said:

o5.thumb.jpg.5cda7f29892b3e148f0a5a3732e3e7a1.jpg

@upshot - Thanks for doing all the location pinning for the photographs - and yes, they are all correct.

This area where the stone embankment is located is not blocked off, but very near a construction site and there were several migrant workers there when we visited. The right side opens up to a big field and there were security cameras located along it. I think because it is near the LTA MCE tunnel building they were put there for security reasons. It is not accessible for leisure use.

And yes, the golf course is still there, another new construction that is probably further out from the main cruising area of Fort Road is the construction for the new Founders' Memorial near Gardens by the Bay East - there is some delicious irony in knowing that this site that will commemorate our founding parliamentarians was also once in close proximity to a public cruising area.

8 minutes ago, ZH_L said:

for the new Founders' Memorial near Gardens by the Bay East - there is some delicious irony in knowing that this site that will commemorate our founding parliamentarians was also once in close proximity to a public cruising area.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, upshot said:

Changi Business Park I feel is still ok.. it use to be my hot zone for my nude bike riding but with the Uni there and a bit more development. less people go there. There still are as each rare time i go, I still got some action or s few action per night heh. .But it has dropped a little but with a bike there are great spots there I can walk nude and even next to the expressway if I choose to be naughty and flash some cars heheh

There is/was cruising at Changi BP? Tell us abt it 😬

On 8/29/2020 at 12:19 PM, Guest history said:

The earliest I could imagine was 2001 or 2002 but definitely not in late 90s.

Thanks for pointing it out. If that’s the case, then I stand corrected. It’s so long ago and I guessed I might have collapsed the timeline...  I will update my blog.

Edited by raind

16 hours ago, Latte said:

There is/was cruising at Changi BP? Tell us abt it 😬

It's still going on today and even a thread in BW heheh.. you never venture into other thread topic here? hehehe. I even had a map of the place years ago  heheh..

https://www.blowingwind.io/forum/topic/14701-changi-business-park-cbp/page/201/#comments

It has lost some steam but you can still see people using it to get info if there are action going on or if any particular night, guys are heading down to cruise or seeking whatever fun. After Fort Road, I was more active here for years until I have less time to head down due to work and all.. and also when the University and hostel were built, it got a little less private to some extension. But things are still happening. That too is an interesting place and lots of funny pockets. I am sure guys who stay at the Uni's hostel would go down too.

Edited by upshot
typo and clarity

Guest Protestor

Fort Road should have been earmarked as HERITAGE SITE instead of being used for development.  Gay people need to protest knowing that history has been wiped out like that.

10 hours ago, Guest Protestor said:

Fort Road should have been earmarked as HERITAGE SITE instead of being used for development.  Gay people need to protest knowing that history has been wiped out like that.

hahahahah.. that's a good one. LIke war memorial. So much sperms were swallowed here in one region :P

Edited by upshot

Just for those curious about CBP ( Changi Business Park ) here was a map I did when it was a pretty happening full swing place but by no means as hot as Fort Road was ever. There was a time for those who drive, if they fsee nothing happening at Fort Road ( towards the fading period) they would hop over to CBP to cruise. It is a lot shorter to walk about then compared to Fort Road area. The one unique point of CBP is the weird pockets of roads. If you look at the map on google, you will notice 5 loops that is connected to this park area. If you have a car or motorbike or if you don't mind walking, you can get pickup and then go to one of these loops away from the main park's cruising area and do in the car or in the fields near by or just off the road. Some more daring ones do it at a mini coach or bus depots near one or two of the loop roads. interesting hor? hahahah

8145073050_12cb56fcb9_b.thumb.jpg.4243e056a181a667bf6c30ef7518d376.jpg

*Note again: This is a old map info i did long ago. It DOES NOT LOOK too much like this now especially with the new University to the left side of the map

I am not going say much more on this to stick to Fort Road stories. But for FYI sake.

Edited by upshot

39 minutes ago, upshot said:

Just for those curious about CBP ( Changi Business Park ) here was a map I did when it was a pretty happening full swing place but by no means as hot as Fort Road was ever. There was a time for those who drive, if they fsee nothing happening at Fort Road ( towards the fading period) they would hop over to CBP to cruise. It is a lot shorter to walk about then compared to Fort Road area. The one unique point of CBP is the weird pockets of roads. If you look at the map on google, you will notice 5 loops that is connected to this park area. If you have a car or motorbike or if you don't mind walking, you can get pickup and then go to one of these loops away from the main park's cruising area and do in the car or in the fields near by or just off the road. Some more daring ones do it at a mini coach or bus depots near one or two of the loop roads. interesting hor? hahahah

*Note again: This is a old map info i did long ago. It DOES NOT LOOK too much like this now especially with the new University to the left side of the map

I am not going say much more on this to stick to Fort Road stories. But for FYI sake.

Wah, u damn pro haha 😂

46 minutes ago, Latte said:

Wah, u damn pro haha 😂

hahaha no lah.. just that sometime too free and at times I like to promote some places and stuff since many asked and many might not be able to show it. But safe fun now...as much as I want to see people hook up. Can share, I share.

Edited by upshot

Guest Guest Memory

Just dug through the threads and I found out that the exact time when Ford Road Beach died is around 2007-08 when the Marina Barrage finished construction.

Its a shame that the only nude beach in Singapore went down like that and It was to late to experience the fun at FR Beach considering that I only come of age after the Beach died.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.