Male HQ

For gays who will be seniors one day - A Steve5380 Topic!

Steve5380

We gays have heard all our life that one of the problems to expect with age is arthritis.  With the wear and tear of our articulations comes osteoarthritis, bones rubbing against each other, and then it's time to slow down and take pain medication and eventually undergo joint-replacement surgery.  This is what keeps surgery practices and manufacturers of artificial articulations in business.   Perhaps one can delay this sad state by limiting the use of the articulations, away from heavy exercises?

Now in my 80s,  I have wondered why this didn't happen to me.  I don't have any arthritis. 30 years ago when I changed my twice a week running to 9 miles, three times around the Houston Memorial Park,  my right knee got injured.  It cracked at every step.  Somewhere I did read that heavy squats are good for the knees, and this is what I started doing. No pain medicine, no injections of this or that.  So 30 years of this, and also today doing heavy ( for my body) leg press exercises,  and I have two perfect knees, which my Aikido peers wonder how this can be, since theirs are not perfect. 

And now for a while I have been reading and seeing about arthritis being caused by bad metabolism with chronic inflammation.  Those preventive health gurus are finding that so many ills are caused by metabolic disease...   which I don't have.  :) 

Here is a video among many and not the best, that early on explains this issue.  We don't HAVE to confront painful arthritis and come to a halt as we become seniors.  WHO wants that???  The adjustments to our nutrition that restore and maintain a healthy metabolism are such a good deal,  that you younger gays will be able to prevent what you see in so many poor seniors.  And hopefully when you are there, you will realize that old age can be a good time in life.

Guys...   you think that infancy is over after a few years?   We see the little children playing,  crawling, rolling on the floor, laughing.  At which age does this all end?

You guessed wrong.  We can do this all life long.  All it takes is some martial arts to play... with!   Look at these serious adults,  ( someone doing this rolling even with his glasses on... ) :

It is a lot of fun to throw and be thrown!  And it can be safer than a game of basketball or soccer.

Ahhh... and I will reveal a secret to you:  to participate in a martial art can give a lot of PRIDE, especially to a guy my age.  

Guest 12345?
On 5/14/2024 at 9:17 PM, Steve5380 said:

Thank you for reading this thread.  And you are too kind!  ❤❤❤❤

He is so unreal.  You know that. We all know that. 

Guest Reality

Let's say you have certain illness and main stream doctor prescribed medication which you believed is bad for your health in the long run.  You then went over to Youtube to get answer from "experts", and began to eat things they told you to do. in the hope to reverse your conditions.  You gave up your proper medication in exchange for alternative views from several Youtube videos.   Is this the right thing to do?

Metaphorically speaking, let's say a mountain obstruct your road, and main stream doctor prescribed explosive substance for you to remove it, even though it may destroy some surroundings nature.  You ignored the advice, and went to seek other alternative "expert" views, who told you to use a shovel instead.  How much time do you have to see the mountain removed just by using a shovel alone even though it may sound like a safer method?

The above is something for @Steve5380 to think about.

32 minutes ago, Guest Reality said:

Let's say you have certain illness and main stream doctor prescribed medication which you believed is bad for your health in the long run.  You then went over to Youtube to get answer from "experts", and began to eat things they told you to do. in the hope to reverse your conditions.  You gave up your proper medication in exchange for alternative views from several Youtube videos.   Is this the right thing to do?

Metaphorically speaking, let's say a mountain obstruct your road, and main stream doctor prescribed explosive substance for you to remove it, even though it may destroy some surroundings nature.  You ignored the advice, and went to seek other alternative "expert" views, who told you to use a shovel instead.  How much time do you have to see the mountain removed just by using a shovel alone even though it may sound like a safer method?

The above is something for @Steve5380 to think about.

Hi Guest, I appreciate your Reality.  Your Reality is not uncommon.

In my Reality, I had a case exactly like you described.  Eight years ago as part of my yearly checkups I had a carotid ultrasound done that revealed a small amount of plaque in the artery.  My doctor recommended that I take daily a low dose of statin and a baby aspirin.  I already had questions about this and did neither.  Last year another doctor looked at my history, and determined that for my "arthrosclerosis"  my cholesterol was high, and prescribed a low dose Lipitor statin, even if I was in perfect health. So I accepted this, got the prescription, and it has been untouched in my cabinet since.

Was I right to ignore the decision of a experienced Medical Doctor, in favor of the views of some YouTube "experts"? I have a book by two "experts",  "The Great Cholesterol Myth",  that supports my decision.  LOOK UP THIS BOOK IN AMAZON.  It has hundreds of positive reviews,  and more and more expert researchers agree with its views.

I asked this new doctor to prescribe another carotid ultrasound, had it done, and the result was similar to the one eight years old.  Ha ha ha!   Will see in the next 8 years if I get an identical result,  without taking any statins...  😀

More and more the recent expert "gurus",  MDs themselves, are challenging the conventional treatments of CURATIVE MEDICINE BUSINESS. There is increased awareness that we can PREVENT most of the common diseases.

14 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Hi Guest, I appreciate your Reality.  Your Reality is not uncommon.

In my Reality, I had a case exactly like you described.  Eight years ago as part of my yearly checkups I had a carotid ultrasound done that revealed a small amount of plaque in the artery.  My doctor recommended that I take daily a low dose of statin and a baby aspirin.  I already had questions about this and did neither.  Last year another doctor looked at my history, and determined that for my "arthrosclerosis"  my cholesterol was high, and prescribed a low dose Lipitor statin, even if I was in perfect health. So I accepted this, got the prescription, and it has been untouched in my cabinet since.

Was I right to ignore the decision of a experienced Medical Doctor, in favor of the views of some YouTube "experts"? I have a book by two "experts",  "The Great Cholesterol Myth",  that supports my decision.  LOOK UP THIS BOOK IN AMAZON.  It has hundreds of positive reviews,  and more and more expert researchers agree with its views.

I asked this new doctor to prescribe another carotid ultrasound, had it done, and the result was similar to the one eight years old.  Ha ha ha!   Will see in the next 8 years if I get an identical result,  without taking any statins...  😀

More and more the recent expert "gurus",  MDs themselves, are challenging the conventional treatments of CURATIVE MEDICINE BUSINESS. There is increased awareness that we can PREVENT most of the common diseases.

Whether such alternative medical advices contributed to living longer or healthier lives, nobody will ever know.

What I appreciate in your thread is to push people to consider a more healthy life style, including sports or exercise up to "old" age, to slim down and eat more healthy dishes.

But honestly, I think most of your self declared experts are quacks that just want to make more money by selling their self proclaimed expertise...

if you check 99% of these experts come with a shop at their website selling of certain products they promote.

Maybe, regulation in the US isn't sufficient strict to reduce the amount of these quacks.

7 hours ago, singalion said:

Whether such alternative medical advices contributed to living longer or healthier lives, nobody will ever know.

I don't want to force beliefs on you.  Not at all.  I want to trust that your comments here are not driven by a spirit of contradiction, and I have trusted your intelligence and capacity to investigate as the means to accept some facts. This is why I have suggested to you to not take my word for these facts but to look into them and make your own conclusions.  But... what you write in your post shows me that you have not done this.  Instead, you relay on the usual perceptions of society.  Aren't we constantly contradicting these "usual perceptions"?  Aren't we constantly defending homosexuality against the misconception that it is an abomination, a perversion, a sin?

Yes, FACTS, because as a person with somewhat similar qualities as you, I have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with these "alternative medical advices".  I have experienced their contribution to my good health, and I am not "nobody", ha ha.

7 hours ago, singalion said:

But honestly, I think most of your self declared experts are quacks that just want to make more money by selling their self proclaimed expertise...

Honestly??  At the start of this thread,  InBangkok came with this designation of "quacks",  and you have supported this. I thought that by remarking on the credentials of these experts I had dispelled this,  many of them being doctors themselves with good positions in academia, many with vast number of patients in their practices and, practically all, practicing what they preach!   OF COURSE they want to make money, we all do!   Probably they see what there is out there, and they find that with their theories they can improve on them and start making and selling better products.

Here is an interesting video about new findings in how to extend longevity by the use of infrared light.  This is nothing new, Chinese medicine has been using TDP far-infrared lamps together with acupuncture for decades. What is new is the findings of infrared light improving mitochondria, after extensive experiments with animals and also humans:

"Glen Jeffery explains: the Science behind Mitochondrial Infra-Red (MIR)":  In the video you will see the credentials of Glen, who lives in the UK,  not in the "unregulated" US:

Guest Reality
On 5/20/2024 at 10:28 PM, Steve5380 said:

Last year another doctor looked at my history, and determined that for my "arthrosclerosis"  my cholesterol was high, and prescribed a low dose Lipitor statin, even if I was in perfect health. So I accepted this, got the prescription, and it has been untouched in my cabinet since.

Did you ask your doctor to do blood test to determine what is in your "high Cholesterol"?  Some LDL are good and not densed.   As for the book on "The Great Cholesterol Myth".  I read the positive reviews and not many talk about why they beiieved it was positive.   Anyway, I found the book at local online thrift store for SGD3.00, will ask the person to mail it over.  I am also looking for a book on "Good Sugar Bad Sugar", by Allen Carr,  haven't decided if I need to get it too because Sugar + densed LDL = plague.

2 hours ago, Guest Reality said:

Did you ask your doctor to do blood test to determine what is in your "high Cholesterol"?  Some LDL are good and not densed.   As for the book on "The Great Cholesterol Myth".  I read the positive reviews and not many talk about why they beiieved it was positive.   Anyway, I found the book at local online thrift store for SGD3.00, will ask the person to mail it over.  I am also looking for a book on "Good Sugar Bad Sugar", by Allen Carr,  haven't decided if I need to get it too because Sugar + densed LDL = plague.

Every year I have all lab work done before my consultation with the doctor. I don't have an advanced lipid test with size of the LDL,  but my ratio Triglyceride / HDL was close to 1, a good value.  Still, for a person with any arterial plaque I had an LDL of 215, for which his guidelines included a prescription of statin. 

I haven't read the book "Good Sugar Bad Sugar but I understand that it is good, a best seller. We all learn soon to stay away from added sugars and processed carbohydrates.  Good luck with these two books, you seem to be on the right track. :thumb:

Posted (edited)

Tonight I just came back from an Aikido practice and the child in me is happy.  So are these guys:

Oh... I didn't know that Ryuji is also good at wrestling, ha ha.  He is amazing for a guy who weights only 57 kg!

Good night! :) :) 

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Interpreter
On 5/20/2024 at 10:28 PM, Steve5380 said:

a carotid ultrasound done that revealed a small amount of plaque in the artery.   and determined that for my "arthrosclerosis"  my cholesterol was high

What is the level of your plague?  Small is relative to people in different age group. 

Valid point. I don't think my own country SG can be the place to find partner to settled down...all r so into fun sex etc....lies drama emo when comes to long term or relationship. Pretty sad worry for our tiny dot in future for the LGBT. It is all about fun sex experience.....

For me I think Australia, Malaysia, Thailand n other countries is the best place ever to settled down. They r serious, loyal, knows what they what, risk takers, etc.....

Guest Not bad
35 minutes ago, MasterFitMalaySG4U said:

Valid point. I don't think my own country SG can be the place to find partner to settled down...all r so into fun sex etc....lies drama emo when comes to long term or relationship.

For me I think Australia, Malaysia, Thailand n other countries is the best place ever to settled down. They r serious, loyal, knows what they what, risk takers, etc.....

SG is too small, community too tight knitted and just a simple magnifying lens you  can easily noticed emo-drama among the gay.  That doesn't mean Australia, Malaysia, Thailand and other bigger countries don't have such emo-drama gay people, it is simply land mass too large to be easily noticeable. 

You can still find partner to settle down in Singapore, unless you meant non-discriminative and gay legality right like Sweden   Make full use of circumstances given to you instead of comparing with other people.  Two gay people can still buy a flat together or each staying separately as neighbour within the same block.  Unlike race, there is no quota for gay to occupy the entire HDB block of flat in the same town.   Singapore can still be a place for gay to settle down and look after each other, as long as you long how to navigate your life journey to make that dream comes true.   Since we are at it,  statistic has shown an increased number of single in Singapore buying their own home - go figure whether there is also a co-relations of LGBT to the numbers.

The above sweden Rainbow town might seem proper for elderly, but the weather and climate in Sweden can be very depressing for people in old age.

1 hour ago, Guest Leo said:

If ever you'll be stuck in an island, which only one member here you will like to be with?

For me there is no lack of BW members I find interesting and good company.  HOWEVER...  I would not wish any of them to be stuck in an island.  Not even believing that I can also be a good company.  There is more to life than being STUCK in a place without an opportunity to leave it.

15 hours ago, amuse.ed said:

Hi @Steve5380, dropping by to contribute my first post to your topic. The following residence could be an utopia envied by many, who knows the future generations in Singapore may need it?

It is great to have access to live in a predominantly LGBTQ retirement place. 

For myself, I hope to never have to live in a retirement home. I like company, but I also like privacy.  To not have to eat my meals in a dining room,  but eat them at home. To not have to see anyone for a week, except the person living with me, which most probably will be my sister.  But, regardless of my likes,  it is great to have the CHOICE! :thumb:

Guest Reluctancy
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

, except the person living with me, which most probably will be my sister.

You have been talking about your elderly sister going to stay with you, and for years now nothing has happened?  What is stopping you?

1 hour ago, Guest Reluctancy said:

You have been talking about your elderly sister going to stay with you, and for years now nothing has happened?  What is stopping you?

The delay is due to the circumstances of her liquidating and selling her house after her husband passed away.  She also has some health problems that are currently being treated.  She will be coming in a few more months. 

For those of you who think that I fill this thread with stupid posts,  you don't need to see the following video:

but this video points to the fact that being A SENIOR,  we can have the urges of sex replaced with the pleasures of some trivia, which we can do by being retired and having plenty of disposable time, ha ha.

Bertrand Russell was an extraordinary intellectual,  of whom I posted recently in the thread "Buddhism Discussion".  See if you can follow this video and reach also his Paradox  ( if your work allows you the time ), a sign that you are also an extraordinary, or at least an excellent, intellectual.  :) 

If it is true what some may think, that I fill this thread with stupid posts, with much nonsense...   then it is time that I protect myself by finding an excuse, a cause for this posting of inadequate materials.

I think I have found The Excuse:  it is the microbiome,  the bacteria in my gut that makes me do it.  I have been ingesting Trillions of bacteria that I have been cultivating in the last months.  This TED speech gives some proof of this:

Ohhh... at 6:50 this expert biologist mentioned the bacteria Lactobacillus Reuteri,  exactly the one the cardiologist William Davis, about whom I posted earlier,  convinced me to ingest in large quantities.  She also says that it promotes empathy and sociability...  Could this be the reason for my stupid posts ???   Or maybe of why they are not so stupid? 

Microbes and other germs in our gut...  who can trust biologists?...  could this be all QUAKERY?  

But I have found information from ENGINEERS.  I trust engineers of course,  since I am one of them!  Here is a video by engineers at Stanford, a prestigious no-nonsense school 

Well... the microbiome is not "everything",  but it could well be that it influences everything related to our health.  Let's keep paying attention to it.

Guest Flatulent
8 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I have been ingesting Trillions of bacteria that I have been cultivating in the last months. 

You suspect something wrong with your GI system?  Why the need to over-dose microbiomes which can be harmful if they turned rogue and became invasive.

41 minutes ago, Guest Flatulent said:

You suspect something wrong with your GI system?  Why the need to over-dose microbiomes which can be harmful if they turned rogue and became invasive.

There is nothing wrong with my GI system, nothing wrong with me.  I am seeking the benefits of ingesting the Lactobacillus Reuteri and Lactobacillus Casei  bacteria,  and I am noticing the benefits I get with this.  Nothing "rogue" or "invasive"  :) 

Guest, you... you have problems of flatulence?  You need to find the cause and adjust your diet.

On 5/25/2024 at 4:00 PM, MasterFitMalaySG4U said:

Valid point. I don't think my own country SG can be the place to find partner to settled down...all r so into fun sex etc....lies drama emo when comes to long term or relationship. Pretty sad worry for our tiny dot in future for the LGBT. It is all about fun sex experience.....

But even before the repeal of 377 you were able to see plenty of gay couples (locals) venturing out...

Maybe your mind is too negative to rule out any relationship here.

Live your own life. Don't bother about the surroundings... you need to be ready for a relationship and have the mindset to enter into one.

If you come with the point "all guys just want sex", that's probably the wrong approach for finding a relationship partner...

I see many local guys here willing to be in a relationship... But you need to change your attitude also.

On 5/26/2024 at 10:23 AM, Steve5380 said:

The delay is due to the circumstances of her liquidating and selling her house after her husband passed away.  She also has some health problems that are currently being treated.  She will be coming in a few more months. 

Good to know...

I already thought she has issues with you being gay... 😂

But in your age, you wouldnt bring a new guy into the house every day... 🤣😂

Edited by singalion

8 hours ago, singalion said:

Good to know...

I already thought she has issues with you being gay... 😂

But in your age, you wouldnt bring a new guy into the house every day... 🤣😂

No one in my family had ever issues with gay members. They were and are intelligent and educated. Some may have suspected that my late bf was gay, but I always presented him as a good friend who needed help. And I had always the figure of a responsible father.  :) 

Continuing with my efforts to cowardly reject any blame for the stuff that I post in this thread,  I found today a video that frees me of any responsibility:

We have to recognize the authority of professor Robert Sapolsky.  In his amazing look, it seems impossible that his hair can be so white-gray on his beard, while it is so solid brown on his head.  The fact that he has chosen such a ridiculous look is proof that HE has no free will, and by extension, none of us has it.  

We humans don't have free will.  I like this, and I have already accepted this fact long ago (  to rest importance to all my Catholic Mortal Sins that inevitably would condemn me to an eternity in Hell ).  

So... whatever you think I am doing, it is not my free will.  You already should have accepted that my personality has been taken over months ago by the bacteria Lactobacillus Reuteri,  so while previously you dealt with Steve, you are now dealing with... a bacterium.  :lol:   It has already been discovered that this bacterium has the power to make Steve much kinder than what he used to be.

And if all this were not strange enough,  the professor appears in another video surrounded by two clowns,  in a trio making some more interesting conversations:

I am glad to discover that this old man with colored hair,  Robert Sapolsky, is such a fascinating intellectual that is so smart that he can shut up this chatter box  Neil deGrasse Tyson.  😀  This should tell us that to be a Senior is not such a bad thing...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.