Male HQ

Mediacorp Artists - News And Gossips 新传媒新闻和八卦 (Compiled)

Guest Ahuh?!
3 hours ago, fab said:

In SG, aunties and grannies are still playing these roles. How to improve?

Please make this your last time repeating these. Zzz

1 hour ago, Guest Ahuh?! said:

Please make this your last time repeating these. Zzz

You have a choice to not to read my posts.

Doncha?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Considering that many of the older generation in Singapore watches all these local dramas on telly, having a gay character that is negative reinforces their negative views. The Singapore media authority has these rules about showing the LGBT+ community in a positive light. If the local media is not doing their part to normalize gay people in TV series etc. how would these older generation get to know that gay people are regular people just like them? 

Love. 

19 hours ago, bigdanbeam said:

Time travel genre is cliche. 

Yaloh... last time got that CHW and Shaun one, the Ancestor Come one... some more 2 times.

And also so coincidental, they travel to a time with the same set of inter-related characters... if reincarnation is real, what are the odds the same bunch of people are reincarnated to the same timeline...

Guest Guest
20 hours ago, bigdanbeam said:

Time travel genre is cliche. 

Yea not a fresh idea anymore after the CHW and Shaun Chen drama.

But will still watch lah, very long never tune in Ch 8 at 9pm already, after the Zoe Tay and Kym Ng drama.

Well I don't really see a problem on their part to feature such a character because precisely such a character does exist and the intention was to bring awareness as mentioned by Mediacorp. Surely you guys won't find a problem if they feature a straight pedo fella with STD instead? If you take the middle position as I do, you should know what I'm trying to say.

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/mediacorp-apologises-for-treatment-of-gay-character-in-channel-8-drama-my

It is problematic if you see it with some wild prejudice and treat it with contempt so much so as to issue an outwardly defensive statement like that (see AFA cited statement), suggesting such characters are fakes while others think it is a negative onslaught on the LGBTQ community etc. which is, to me, borderline tolerating/defending gay pedo characters. I am against pedos regardless of their orientation and awareness is good, similar to how Crime Watch brings awareness about crooks of all shades, shapes and sizes. But don't get me wrong, I like AFA and what they do but I think they need to rethink their PR a bit here. Chase Tan also perhaps didn't have to respond to one or two agenda laden keyboard warriors.

However, I can agree that if they have to portray such characters, free to air media establishments must be very careful to do it in a very palatable fashion - note they do not have any obligation to portray LGBTQ in a positive light either (see IMDA guidelines cited). In any case, I'd seen more extreme portrayals of LGBTQ characters through indie films produced by LGBTQ people themselves but nobody bat an eyelid on them right...

Live and let live. Let love and compassion soften all hearts and bring people to common understanding :) 

A truly accomplished wallflower.....
Not an expert so if you're gonna rely on my advice, please keep in mind to do it at your own risk. 

On 7/14/2020 at 12:04 PM, Since u r here said:

i watched the show and Yes all the episodes, i dont find anything wrong with it.

Dont be overly too sensitive about Colours, breeds , LGBTQ ...

Just like Gays also make fun and create videos about straights......u wont need me to post any videos by those gay influencers here 

Please leave your gay badge at the door when you check out, you self-hating gay. It isn't just "us" who are "overly sensitive". Many of my straight friends and allies also commented on this because it was glaringly homophobic. You standing with Mediacock on this topic makes you a deplorable. Piss off. I am disgusted by our fellow LGBTQ community who are not willing to band together and speak out against homphobia. I am not angry. I am LIVID!

24 minutes ago, superflawless said:

If someone step on you and you do not make a sound, trust me, the next time, they won't won't just step on you.

痛就出声,不要隐忍。

Agree!

Do not give in to mediacrap.

What some people don't understand is that, in order for bad portrayals or stereotypical portrayals of a certain minority group to pass is that first there should be equality. We don't complain when straight people gets bad portrayal because there are people like that in life.  But that is also because nobody would automatically think all straight people are how the TV portrays them since all the good guys, the revered, the worshipped are all "straight". But the one portrayal of gay people depicted to be exaxtly how gay people were being unfairly viewed all these years only further reinforce these discriminatory viewpoints.

So no. Until gay characters are normalized on national TV and everyone stops assuming that everyone is straight, we should not sit idly by and let this happen. I'm glad that many are coming into the defense for LGBTQ+ community. 

On 7/16/2020 at 1:46 PM, Meowz said:

Well I don't really see a problem on their part to feature such a character because precisely such a character does exist and the intention was to bring awareness as mentioned by Mediacorp. Surely you guys won't find a problem if they feature a straight pedo fella with STD instead? If you take the middle position as I do, you should know what I'm trying to say.

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/mediacorp-apologises-for-treatment-of-gay-character-in-channel-8-drama-my

It is problematic if you see it with some wild prejudice and treat it with contempt so much so as to issue an outwardly defensive statement like that (see AFA cited statement), suggesting such characters are fakes while others think it is a negative onslaught on the LGBTQ community etc. which is, to me, borderline tolerating/defending gay pedo characters. I am against pedos regardless of their orientation and awareness is good, similar to how Crime Watch brings awareness about crooks of all shades, shapes and sizes. But don't get me wrong, I like AFA and what they do but I think they need to rethink their PR a bit here. Chase Tan also perhaps didn't have to respond to one or two agenda laden keyboard warriors.

However, I can agree that if they have to portray such characters, free to air media establishments must be very careful to do it in a very palatable fashion - note they do not have any obligation to portray LGBTQ in a positive light either (see IMDA guidelines cited). In any case, I'd seen more extreme portrayals of LGBTQ characters through indie films produced by LGBTQ people themselves but nobody bat an eyelid on them right...

Live and let live. Let love and compassion soften all hearts and bring people to common understanding :) 

Sorry, but I have some reservations against your opinion or thoughts.

First thing that bumped into my head was: Why was there a need to get gay characters into these soap opera tv shows anyway? for years Mediacorp did not need to bring in any gay characters. Did MediaCorp try to look modern or spice up their shows?

What you read from the articles, all gay characters in this show seem to have been portrayed negatively. There was none of them even just portrayed "neutral".

Second: On the fairness part. I mean the part you say, as there are gay pedophiles in reals life, we should accept this portrayal of a gay. Second, there are gays with STDs in real life, therefore, we should accept any such portrayal in the Mediacorp soap opera movies.

But here comes my question:

a) Was during the past 15 years ever any straight pedophile portrayed in any of the Mediacorp tv shows in any of the channels?

b) Was during the past 15 years ever any straight guy portrayed having passed on a STD to another girl or a girl to a guy?

My guess for both questions the answer is a simple "no".

Hence, doesn't this display the aim of Mediacorp to present gays in bad light from the start? This seems to cry foul on the portrayal of gays.

Why didn't Mediacorp chose to have a straight pedophile character and a straight guy/ girl with a STD?

On the other hand: The actors should not have taken up the roles at all. Coming out no to regret after there is backlash from the viewers is a bit lame.

I have spoken out against pedophiles at many posts. But I don't think the issue had something to do with some gays eventually accepting or being borderline on gay pedophiles, the issue is more on fair display of people.

If Mediacorp had plenty of straight pedophiles in their tv plots over the past 15 years, then I wouldn't have had any problem if then there is a gay pedophile character in one of the movies.

But there was never any one straight pedophile character in the last years. And then you jump on a gay to into the issue of pedophilia?

Same goes for STDs.

Mediacorp tv shows in all channels would not display every businessman as corrupt and dishonest, correct?

Edited by singalion

Thanks for the feedback. So I get it that @singalion and some others are saying there should be equal representation for normalisation by Mediacorp. Rightfully said, this wasn't my point of argument. You can choose to see it the way you want to see It :) I'll respect it anyway.

Just to be clear, my point is to accept that there are blacksheeps among us and it would do us good to make the society better by supporting such awareness, and our advocacy has to take a different tone. We are currently nonetheless living in a largely conservative society albeit rather silent and progressively tolerable one.

On your questions, THB, I think you all just want to believe that only gay pedos are portrayed in TV for whatsoever length of time prior to this - I'd watched my fair share of TV so I've seen many shows on free to air medium portraying straight pedos as well. So I made peace with that a long time ago and I choose not to see it merely along sexual orientation/gender lines.

Chill and peace out :) 

A truly accomplished wallflower.....
Not an expert so if you're gonna rely on my advice, please keep in mind to do it at your own risk. 

Guest Baddy one shoe

The only reason why mediacorp portrayed LGBT as such and gettng away is because their audiences approve. They are the above 70 year olds, seconday school or lower educated, non-english speaking, blue collar, PRCs, goody-two-shoe local unicorns who adore or idolise their equally “goody-two-shoe” and “wholesome” actors.

Pui.

Guest Baddy one shoe
30 minutes ago, Guest Baddy one shoe said:

The only reason why mediacorp portrayed LGBT as such and gettng away is because their audiences approve. They are the above 70 year olds, seconday school or lower educated, non-english speaking, blue collar, PRCs, goody-two-shoe local unicorns who adore or idolise their equally “goody-two-shoe” and “wholesome” actors.

Pui.

Oh. And all the 接地气吊丝, ah lian and ah beng 们。LOL

anyone can help sleuth out my 2 queries...

1. remember jerry yeo? he left mediacorp a while back, and is a pilot now?

2. i vaguely remember benedict goh got a red bikini swim trunk scene in one of the drama... whats the title of the drama?

3 hours ago, Guest Baddy one shoe said:

goody-two-shoe” and “wholesome” actors

Are u sure they are such?

goody n wholesome people won't join this type of trade already. 

Yakkkk

Edited by jlone

1 hour ago, mith said:

2. i vaguely remember benedict goh got a red bikini swim trunk scene in one of the drama... whats the title of the drama?

1 scoot

2 manhunt

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

14 hours ago, doncoin said:

When was the last time, if ever, did local TV ever portrayed a LGBT+ character in a positive way that is normal, and the only difference is that the character is attracted to the same sex? 

Never. 

Only feature effeminate straight guys in positive light

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest

How you guys find the latest 9pm show so far?

For me, I think first episode was really boring, most of them (like xu bin and carrie) cant fit the character. Only 715 barely can pass and bryan wong was not bad.

But things getting better from 2nd episode onwards. Xu bin act better in modern times as compared to ancient times.

I m how puzzled how old is 715 acting as. 

He is Bryan's godson and carrier's senior. 

Should use Desmond,  Shane, James or redunderwear instead. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

On 7/18/2020 at 9:06 AM, mith said:

img_2912.jpg?w=450&zoom=2

img_7276.jpg

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

18 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

For me, I think first episode was really boring, most of them (like xu bin and carrie) cant fit the character. Only 715 barely can pass and bryan wong was not bad.

But things getting better from 2nd episode onwards. Xu bin act better in modern times as compared to ancient times.

17 hours ago, fab said:

I m how puzzled how old is 715 acting as. 

He is Bryan's godson and carrier's senior. 

Should use Desmond,  Shane, James or redunderwear instead. 

i didnt expect too much, just watch and enjoy... so far much better than tvb 超時空男臣!

徐彬 improved a lot, n looking v yummy!

again for mediacorp, a near 50 year old 715 portraying a character in his 20s.

10 hours ago, mith said:

i didnt expect too much, just watch and enjoy... so far much better than tvb 超時空男臣!

Is 超時空男臣 that bad?

10 hours ago, mith said:

I find him very hagard.

May be too tired from baby sitting.

10 hours ago, mith said:

Imagine a jie as luomingyi!

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest guest
15 hours ago, mith said:

What you mean by xu bin looking very yummy?

Guest guest
On 7/24/2020 at 1:18 PM, Guest Guest said:

Cannot expect too much from mediacorpse drama, just watch if you have nothing much to do and for entertainment.

14 hours ago, bigdanbeam said:

Yes i think hes done a good job. Unfortunately  his character is still relegated to  男二

And whats with carrie faking that accent.. cunt even enunciate 

Based on his caliber, he can't even play 男二十 in cn。

Think of 715 in China productions,  barely few seconds roles mostly.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

13 hours ago, fab said:

Is 超時空男臣 that bad?

I find him very hagard.

May be too tired from baby sitting.

Imagine a jie as luomingyi!

超時空男臣 too draggy... 90% slapstick and 35 episodes of it, with a very lacklustre silly ending! i would say hugely disappointed. i dont mind silly slapstick comedy maybe shorten it to 15 episodes with the existing plot would be a solid show!

xubin haggardness is my new lust. hahahaha. very watchable.

oh lord, its time to closeshop if mediacorp cast ah jie as luomingyi!  

Guest Guest

Xu bin used to look better, saw him few years ago at Bishan/Thomson area where the old TV station was.

Now after marriage, he look abit different, not really in a good way.

Xb is 32 and a father. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

On 7/24/2020 at 1:18 PM, Guest Guest said:

I'm actually enjoying it so far! Much better than expected. Some thoughts:

1. I've never really liked Qi Yuwu before but I love him in this show. His comic timing is great and for the first time, I actually find him super charismatic. For me, he is the highlight of the show. I think he will be a shoo-in for Best Actor nom (maybe even win) for next Star Awards.

2. I didn't like Carrie Wong after the whole Ian Fang scandal and found it surprising that MDC still wanna promote her despite that scandal (quite sure she cheated with Ian no matter what they claim). But must admit, she is quite likeable in this role and hard not to like her. She also has great comic timing and has good chemistry with both male leads

3. Xu Bin was quite unnatural as his ancient self (keep stroking his moustache very cringey) but in the modern times, must say his acting is much better since the last time I saw him in a drama. Personally still feel he is miscast in this role as Carrie is way too tall to be matched with Xu Bin? Plus Xu Bin still got baby face he looks more like Carrie's younger brother. Romeo or Zhang Zhenhuan would have been a better fit for this role.

4. At first, I felt it was a mistake to make it a time travelling drama because that just makes it clear MDC got no budget. But I think by making it a comedic drama series, they are really working the time travel genre very well. Usually time travel dramas travel backwards. So for them to travel forward in time, I found it quite refreshing. When they initially thought they had died and went to the underworld and 715 said 'No wonder it's so hot', I LOL.

I think with this comedic element + time travel forward, this drama able to set itself apart from all the other China period dramas and hopefully, it can get picked up for a larger audience.

Guest guest
3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Xu bin used to look better, saw him few years ago at Bishan/Thomson area where the old TV station was.

Now after marriage, he look abit different, not really in a good way.

Xu bin look bettter? I find him look almost the same all the while, only thing he now put on more weight. Last time he was very skinny.

AQTH has definitely meet the expectations. I must say the story was well written and had an improvement in filming method. I’m pretty sure there will be more viewers returning to channel 8 if MDC keeps it up.

Unfortunately, we are limited to just watch one or two big production drama every year. This is because budget is cut into the four main channels and the funds are  sufficient make more big production dramas. MDC is also unwillingly to invest until they see an increase in viewership. What a shame, what a shame.

Back to AQTH, 715 will definitely be nom for Best Actor for Star Awards. It’s not easy to ace a comical role. He is my best bet to win next and it’s about time he should snatch the trophy. Very tired of CHW winning all the time. CL should have won it last year. Sigh.

Also, I see an acting improvement and maturity acting delivered by XB.It was a totally an upgrade from his last drama. Maybe fatherhood has changed him. I will be disappointed if he is not nominated for Best Actor.

As for female leads, Carrie has met expectation for her performance in the drama. Her role is likeable and has chemistry with 715. No doubt, she will be nominated for the acting category. YaHui has quite a few meaty scenes in the drama and if she manage to pull it off, it might help to pave her way up the A list. I’d say she is the dark horse and contender for Best Actress. 

Upcoming spoilers: the lead will time travel four times. Yahui will become a wushu master and also boss of Xian Cao Tang. 

Edited by hsf

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

You are 40 and a whiner.

If you are so free, go and find some 1 to fuck you.

Stop stalking me.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest
21 hours ago, hsf said:

AQTH has definitely meet the expectations. I must say the story was well written and had an improvement in filming method. I’m pretty sure there will be more viewers returning to channel 8 if MDC keeps it up.

Unfortunately, we are limited to just watch one or two big production drama every year. This is because budget is cut into the four main channels and the funds are  sufficient make more big production dramas. MDC is also unwillingly to invest until they see an increase in viewership. What a shame, what a shame.

Back to AQTH, 715 will definitely be nom for Best Actor for Star Awards. It’s not easy to ace a comical role. He is my best bet to win next and it’s about time he should snatch the trophy. Very tired of CHW winning all the time. CL should have won it last year. Sigh.

Also, I see an acting improvement and maturity acting delivered by XB.It was a totally an upgrade from his last drama. Maybe fatherhood has changed him. I will be disappointed if he is not nominated for Best Actor.

As for female leads, Carrie has met expectation for her performance in the drama. Her role is likeable and has chemistry with 715. No doubt, she will be nominated for the acting category. YaHui has quite a few meaty scenes in the drama and if she manage to pull it off, it might help to pave her way up the A list. I’d say she is the dark horse and contender for Best Actress. 

Upcoming spoilers: the lead will time travel four times. Yahui will become a wushu master and also boss of Xian Cao Tang. 

LOL mediacorpse big blockbuster productions are mostly rubbish and always have lower viewership than the usual dramas

49 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

LOL mediacorpse big blockbuster productions are mostly rubbish and always have lower viewership than the usual dramas

Just credit them for the effort.

Personally I find 715 acting like 老顽童,非常力不从心又牵强。much as hes still fit looking but can tell from his sagging face he's middle age and way to old to be playing a young lad.

He belongs to the same decade as bryan Cynthia San calvin etc but casted as someone same as carrie xubin etc.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

51 minutes ago, fab said:

Just credit them for the effort.

Personally I find 715 acting like 老顽童,非常力不从心又牵强。much as hes still fit looking but can tell from his sagging face he's middle age and way to old to be playing a young lad.

He belongs to the same decade as bryan Cynthia San calvin etc but casted as someone same as carrie xubin etc.

Never want to watch 715

still feel that 唐贵强arouse me more 

Maybe age is strongly correlated with muscles and young looks 

14 minutes ago, Ben Ben Ben said:

Never want to watch 715

still feel that 唐贵强arouse me more 

Maybe age is strongly correlated with muscles and young looks 

唐贵强only can play constipated embarrassed expression. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest
4 hours ago, Gayleo said:

Lol 唐贵强 acting is terrible and personality so gay: 

Elmeo are good example of gay couple with looks and body

Benjoyce are bad example of gay couple no looks and no body

• IkuTube changed the title to Mediacorp Artists - News And Gossips 新传媒新闻和八卦 (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.