Male HQ

4 day week

Guest Dumb millenials

Guest Dumb millenials

Why some people so dumb? 

My friend used to work 5.5 day week.  His pay higher cause Saturday is half day. But he said Saturday just go back office. Literally do nothing one. Then it's just go shopping after that. 

Then now most people is 5 day week. Friday got people work one meh? 

Now ppl want 4 day week. My company have some staff who work 4 day week but guess what. The pay is 4 days less per month... 

Ppl seem to think 4 day week means you still get the same pay... 

What's worst is that if you can't finish. You literally have to overtime for free to meet deadline with lower pay.. 

Why so dumb to accept this 4 day week arrangement. 

I rather get 5 day week and tgif

If you look at it by hours, a typical work week is 40 hours, which is about 8 hours per day. In some occupations, i.e. nursing, they work about 12 to 13 hour shifts, so they work like 3 days per week, 

Some companies I I know have adopted to 4 day week, with employees working about 2 hours longer to maintain the 40 hour week. So it is 10 hour work days. Most seem happy to put in the extra 2 hours to get the one extra day off. 

Love. 

Seriously working hours in spore is crazy n terrible.

Long hours n mostly work till not productive coz of too tired.

Look at our retail n f&b working hours.

Most of the hawker ctr n lopitiam cooks attire are dirty n not clean.

They look tired n thebfood taste horrible end of the day. 

Well, someone have to be stupid for another one to earn like fuck!

Depends lah!!!  You guys always thought that one size can fits all.  Why?

REALISTIC SCENARIOS

F & B people works on rotating shift,

Construction people works on Sat and sometime Sun too.

Service/Retail - sometime work until 10pm and after cleaning ended up 11am or midnight

Security Guard, works around the clock...including Public Holiday.

Silver Servant, depends which stat board, some work 5.5, some 5 days, some unofficially 3-4 days depend on your hierarchy

Office workers, can be 5, 5.5 or alternate Sat.   You need to ask the interviewer before deciding.

In office setting, Working on Sat is extremely dressed-down, especially if your Boss usually don't work on Sat.

Cardboard collectors, have no office, depending on your need, your work hour is flexible.

Prostitute, usually start work after all of the above "office hour" ended.

ALL IN THE MIND

if you are the self-entitled one, the shorter hours the better.

If your office buiding is just 100-steps away your house, working 5.5 doesn't bother me much

If your office building is 1 to 2hours journey away by public transport, fuck the boss to make you cum on Sat

What if...

You work 3 days week but your immediate boss is a MONSTER?

Your worrk 6 days week but your boss is an ANGEL?

Which would you choose?   3 days in HELL or 6 days in HEAVEN?

Also,,,not so simple.

Your work 4-days, but your boss will email and kept calling you for 6 days.  Liddat how ah?  Considered 4 days or not?

I am speaking from experiences, OK.

The focus should be on working hours and not working days, otherwise it remains "change soup but never change medicine".

Currently official working hours is 44 hrs,  base on this:

5.5 day = 8 hrs on weekday and 4 hrs on sat

5 day = close to 9 hrs on weekday

4 day = 11 hrs per day

In short the working hours did bot reduce at all unlike say France,  working hours is 35 and it means 35.

On 8/16/2022 at 1:11 PM, lonelyglobe said:

The focus should be on working hours and not working days, otherwise it remains "change soup but never change medicine".

4 day = 11 hrs per day

In short the working hours did bot reduce at all unlike say France,  working hours is 35 and it means 35.

This!! 

Most place is 40 hours per week. 

9 am to 5 pm. 

You sure you can work 11 hours per day meh? We hired a fresh grad. He watch YouTube tutorial watch 2 hours already tired and bored. 

Afternoon nap. 

Wait to go home everyday. 

No update no progress for weeks. 

Asked him to update document or prepare slide. 3 slides took him 2 weeks.... 

And complain pay not 5k. Not high enough..  

On 8/16/2022 at 1:16 PM, Guest Haha said:

This!! 

9 am to 5 pm. 

You sure you can work 11 hours per day meh? We hired a fresh grad. He watch YouTube tutorial watch 2 hours already tired and bored. 

Afternoon nap. 

So you want to replace him? I m sure there are many here who can produce better quality work at a lower salary....and yes,  i have work 11 hrs 5 days week including night shift for 2 years and 12 to 14 hours for a few months. No wonder they say spore workers are spoilt especially the younger one. 

On 8/16/2022 at 10:45 AM, cutejack said:

Seriously working hours in spore is crazy n terrible.

Long hours n mostly work till not productive coz of too tired.

Look at our retail n f&b working hours.

...and seriously, their pay r really low.

A friend of mine actually negotiated a 4 day work week, but guess what on his off day he will still sit 7 hours at his PC working because the office will spam him with work or they place meetings onto that day...

In the end he is just enjoying a WFH on the 5th day.

a normal fnb industrial worker like myself, i work almost 6.5 days a week & @ 12hrs a day.. so normal fnb industry.. 4 working days is totally impossible, unless, the boss / bosses makes the workers work like 13 - 14hrs during that 4 working days & that will still include, friday, saturday & sunday.

The lowest rank in a kitchen, fetches only abt S$2.2k, the slightly more senior position, will fetch abt S$2.4k - S$2.6k, the higher rung position, fetches the most S$3k.. the exec chef, will get abt S$3.5k - S$4k monthly

Edited by single42

Guest Local duwan ask foreigner
On 8/17/2022 at 2:49 AM, single42 said:

a normal fnb industrial worker like myself, i work almost 6.5 days a week & @ 12hrs a day.. so normal fnb industry.. 4 working days is totally impossible, unless, the boss / bosses makes the workers work like 13 - 14hrs during that 4 working days & that will still include, friday, saturday & sunday.

The lowest rank in a kitchen, fetches only abt S$2.2k, the slightly more senior position, will fetch abt S$2.4k - S$2.6k, the higher rung position, fetches the most S$3k.. the exec chef, will get abt S$3.5k - S$4k monthly

Foreigner is willing to work at that pay le. 

On 8/17/2022 at 2:49 AM, single42 said:

Sure it is possible to implement a 4 day week.  You only need more workers to fill the gap. 

On 8/17/2022 at 8:48 AM, Guest Local duwan ask foreigner said:

Foreigner is willing to work at that pay le. 

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective, for the foreigner the salary is triple to 10 times more he/she would earn in his home country. But he needs to make sacrifices (away from home, bad or expensive accommodation etc.). The disadvantages or sacrifices still outweigh the salary gain. 

And the local would prefer to stay at home and don't work???

Edited by singalion

On 8/17/2022 at 9:26 AM, singalion said:

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective, for the foreigner the salary is triple to 10 times more he/she would earn in his home country. But he needs to make sacrifices (away from home, bad or expensive accommodation etc.). The disadvantages or sacrifices still outweigh the salary gain. 

And the local would prefer to stay at home and don't work???

Local not willing to work at that pay. Foreigner willing. No matter how you look at it. That's the truth. 

Now Mom S pass min 2.5k. 

Last time the majority service crew are foreigners.. Manager role are reserved for local. 

Yes. 2 out of 5 want to stay at home. Get paid and don't work. 

Guest Try and see

These people are digging their own employment graves, because the recruiter will just hire the candidate who is willing to come into the office everyday. 🤦‍♂️

2 in 5 workers in Singapore would not accept a job if they cannot work from home: Study

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/jobs/2-in-5-workers-in-singapore-would-not-accept-a-job-if-they-cannot-work-from-home-study

On 8/17/2022 at 10:48 AM, Guest True said:

Local not willing to work at that pay. Foreigner willing. No matter how you look at it. That's the truth. 

Now Mom S pass min 2.5k. 

That means the foodpanda, grab food delivery, or other delivery guys etc wouldn't intend to earn 2.5 (plus CPF)  instead of just 1k tp 1.5k with no CPF?

Or easier to stay at home with government NTUC voucher?

Edited by singalion

Guest Less skills
On 8/17/2022 at 11:26 AM, Guest Try and see said:

These people are digging their own employment graves, because the recruiter will just hire the candidate who is willing to come into the office everyday. 🤦‍♂️

2 in 5 workers in Singapore would not accept a job if they cannot work from home: Study

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/jobs/2-in-5-workers-in-singapore-would-not-accept-a-job-if-they-cannot-work-from-home-study

Its precisely the snowflake new gen entitled 5k not enough bunch that makes up the statistics la. 

New flash... This bunch don't realise that they are not that special la cause next year.... Another group of special youngster 5.5k will emerged... Which is also not special after their predecessor expects 6k in the following year. 

Every generation of new workforce grows more demanding, less hungry and less skillful because everything is on google.

In the past, experience is not Google able. 

Now everything can be learned online. 

On 8/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, Guest Less skills said:

Every generation of new workforce grows more demanding, less hungry and less skillful because everything is on google.

I doubt on that, you can read a lot on the internet maybe, even do online courses at home, but the application is the skill.

Either you got it or you don't.

And in front of you superior you surely can't say:

"Oh, let me google first.... "

Edited by singalion

Its precisely the snowflake new gen entitled 5k not enough bunch that makes up the statistics la. 

New flash... This bunch don't realise that they are not that special la cause next year.... Another group of special youngster 5.5k will emerged... Which is also not special after their predecessor expects 6k in the following year. 

It seems that a recession might be looming...

Let's see how long such demands can be accommodated...

Guest Google rule the world
On 8/17/2022 at 1:55 PM, singalion said:

I doubt on that, you can read a lot on the internet maybe, even do online courses at home, but the application is the skill.

Either you got it or you don't.

And in front of you superior you surely can't say:

"Oh, let me google first.... "

I heard that if you join Google and work there, the employees don't ask each other stuff. Cause everyone will ask have you googled yet? 

On 8/17/2022 at 10:50 AM, lonelyglobe said:

https://www.chinapress.com.my/20220815/樟宜机场越堤抢人-月薪1万-做4休3/

Can sporean go JB and apply for this job, dont seem to see this ad in SG. 

高达

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

On 8/16/2022 at 1:11 PM, lonelyglobe said:

4 day = 11 hrs per day

i thought should be 42hr, now is 8.5hr from mon to thursday and 8 on friday = 42hrs.

This!! 

9 am to 5 pm. 

Afternoon nap. 

9 to 5 was ages ago when it is still 5.5 days.

nonetheless i prefer 5 days work, why?

u see if the number of hours do not change means each day u need to work 2 hrs more, so instead of 8:30am to 6pm will extend to 8:30am to 8pm and if u do break for dinner will be till 9pm.... by then u are too tired and just go home.  At least now work till 6 even a bit of OT till 6:30 or 7pm u still have night time for yourself.  can go gym etc.

if work till 8 or 9pm practically you do not have your personal life for Mon to Thursday.  provided they do not disturb you on Friday and weekend.

Guest Work life balance
On 8/17/2022 at 3:07 PM, quanjishou said:

i thought should be 42hr, now is 8.5hr from mon to thursday and 8 on friday = 42hrs.

9 to 5 was ages ago when it is still 5.5 days.

nonetheless i prefer 5 days work, why?

u see if the number of hours do not change means each day u need to work 2 hrs more, so instead of 8:30am to 6pm will extend to 8:30am to 8pm and if u do break for dinner will be till 9pm.... by then u are too tired and just go home.  At least now work till 6 even a bit of OT till 6:30 or 7pm u still have night time for yourself.  can go gym etc.

if work till 8 or 9pm practically you do not have your personal life for Mon to Thursday.  provided they do not disturb you on Friday and weekend.

My colleague and I we all count hours. 

Since work week is by hours.

We also count time until 5pm.

4:59 pm we stand up and start to pack. 

5pm leave. On the dot. 

No bye. No speak. 

Leave like robot. 

Guest Lazy millennial

If 4 day work can exists. 

Then school children should also just attend school 4 days la. So the teacher and canteen operator and security guard and bus driver all cna have 4 days week. 

Doctor also open clinic 4 days week la. 

Since everyone is holiday on Friday same day. Then retail also have to 4 say week means closed on Monday or Wednesday. 

Airport also fly 4 day week la. 

Delivery also 4 day week. 

Bank open 4 day week. Weekend no more open. Since customer can visit bank on weekday during their off day in 1 of the 4 day week. 

Stock market also open 4 day can liao la. 

Farmer just leave the chicken and vegetables unattended 4 day week can liao la.

But youtuber and tik tokers cannot. Must upload everyday 

On 8/17/2022 at 3:07 PM, quanjishou said:

Nope,  from MOM website:

For common work arrangements, your contractual hours of work are as follows:

If you work Your contractual hours of work are
5 days or less a week Up to 9 hours per day or 44 hours a week
More than 5 days a week Up to 8 hours a day or 44 hours a week

Blessed are those who are passionate about their work and don't count work hours or work days.  These usually are those who have special skills that don't bind them into a rigid schedule but into a predefined achievement.   I had the fortune to having built a reputation of wizardry at my place of work after 27 years,  so after retirement they contracted me for part time as a consultant, and I enjoyed freedom to work from home or from work, day or night, for 8 years on a challenging project. 

So if you are a young guy,  invest in acquiring some skills that raise the value of your work above the ordinary.

This!! 

9 am to 5 pm. 

Afternoon nap. 

because you boomers never teach him and keep all the knowledge to yourself?

On 8/17/2022 at 1:56 PM, singalion said:

It seems that a recession might be looming...

Let's see how long such demands can be accommodated...

That’s what they have saying every year for the past 2 decades 

Ok boomer

Over 40% Singapore workers choose unemployment over jobs that didn’t allow work-from-home & flexible work hours arrangement

Anna Maria Romero - 18 Aug 2022

Are Singaporean workers prioritizing life over work? A new study appears to point in this direction.

A recent survey of employees is showing that they’re serious about their preferences when it comes to work, with a significant number, over 40 per cent, saying they would not take a job that did not allow a work-from-home arrangement.

Four out of every five of the workers who participated in a recent Randstad survey said that flexible work hours are important for them, and 41 per cent said they would refuse a job that did not allow them to choose their own working hours.

Only three out of five of those polled said their employers allowed them to have flexible working hours.

One thousand workers in Singapore from 18 to 67 years old were polled in February and March of this year for the bi-annual 2022 Randstad Workmonitor survey.

The Covid-19 pandemic appears to have played a big part in changing peoples’ perspectives, leading to a shift in priorities to finding happiness and meaning at work more than before.

Almost all the respondents, a whopping 94 per cent, said that post-pandemic work-life balance is important, with the study showing that 41 per cent would prefer unemployment over a job where they are unhappy.

Moreover, more than half—or 52 per cent—say they would resign from a job that prevented them from enjoying life.

Seventy-seven per cent said working remotely is important to them, but only 52 per cent said they have this option. Should a job posting disallow WFH arrangements, 42 per cent said they would not accept it.

Interestingly, 44 per cent of those polled said they would not mind a lower pay as long as their work contributed to society. This number is ten per cent higher than the global average, the Randstad survey shows.

Furthermore, 43 per cent said they would say no to a job that is not aligned with their values regarding social and environmental issues, with the same number saying they’d reject a job from a firm that refuses to make “a proactive effort to improve their diversity and equity.”

There is a marked difference in responses according to the age of the participants.

Ms Jaya Dass, the Managing Director at Randstad Singapore and Malaysia, said “Employers that want to retain their employees should consider offering more flexible work models to meet the changing talent expectations that are brought about and exacerbated by the pandemic.

In addition to offering flexible work arrangements, companies should reconsider the purpose of the office as a collaborative space that fills up the communicative gaps of remote work, rather than resign to closed-off work cubicles.” /TISG

Edited by singalion

On 8/18/2022 at 12:16 PM, singalion said:

Over 40% Singapore workers choose unemployment over jobs that didn’t allow work-from-home & flexible work hours arrangement

Anna Maria Romero - 18 Aug 2022

Are Singaporean workers prioritizing life over work? A new study appears to point in this direction.

A recent survey of employees is showing that they’re serious about their preferences when it comes to work, with a significant number, over 40 per cent, saying they would not take a job that did not allow a work-from-home arrangement.

Four out of every five of the workers who participated in a recent Randstad survey said that flexible work hours are important for them, and 41 per cent said they would refuse a job that did not allow them to choose their own working hours.

Only three out of five of those polled said their employers allowed them to have flexible working hours.

One thousand workers in Singapore from 18 to 67 years old were polled in February and March of this year for the bi-annual 2022 Randstad Workmonitor survey.

The Covid-19 pandemic appears to have played a big part in changing peoples’ perspectives, leading to a shift in priorities to finding happiness and meaning at work more than before.

Almost all the respondents, a whopping 94 per cent, said that post-pandemic work-life balance is important, with the study showing that 41 per cent would prefer unemployment over a job where they are unhappy.

Moreover, more than half—or 52 per cent—say they would resign from a job that prevented them from enjoying life.

Seventy-seven per cent said working remotely is important to them, but only 52 per cent said they have this option. Should a job posting disallow WFH arrangements, 42 per cent said they would not accept it.

Interestingly, 44 per cent of those polled said they would not mind a lower pay as long as their work contributed to society. This number is ten per cent higher than the global average, the Randstad survey shows.

Furthermore, 43 per cent said they would say no to a job that is not aligned with their values regarding social and environmental issues, with the same number saying they’d reject a job from a firm that refuses to make “a proactive effort to improve their diversity and equity.”

There is a marked difference in responses according to the age of the participants.

Ms Jaya Dass, the Managing Director at Randstad Singapore and Malaysia, said “Employers that want to retain their employees should consider offering more flexible work models to meet the changing talent expectations that are brought about and exacerbated by the pandemic.

In addition to offering flexible work arrangements, companies should reconsider the purpose of the office as a collaborative space that fills up the communicative gaps of remote work, rather than resign to closed-off work cubicles.” /TISG

The result will be that more companies would go to hire Foreigners to fill the positions.

In my view, the Government has been feeding this behaviour for the past years instead of informing their citizens that competition is getting stronger.

Large corporations don't need to be in Singapore or carry out their management here. The result will be that more will shift jobs to other parts of the world.

There are always two sides to the coin.

Work from Home also caters more to certain type of employees but not to all and the lower end jobs are disadvantaged in this play.

Maybe, offering more part time work arrangements will assist to achieve the work life balance expectations, a way that European countries have been doing for quite a period of time, 2 persons working on the same job. It works, it can be organised in plenty of functions but it comes with a salary drop.

What the "work from home" requesters forget, that they are out of team building or corporate image building efforts and not all parts can be handled "from home". It seems a bit selfish attitude that forgets you impose more organisational input by the employers to achieve the output they need. I m not sure all employers intend to support such attitudes.

But looking at the above tendency, I guess Singaporeans are driving themselves out of the jobs... and inducing corporations to shift work operations to other parts outside of Singapore.

Edited by singalion

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.