Male HQ

Public transport fare hike: Adults to pay 10 to 11 cents more per journey from Dec 23

thickhead79

SINGAPORE: The latest bus and train fare increases will more than double from last year's hike, which means adult commuters will pay 10 to 11 cents more per journey, the Public Transport Council (PTC) said on Monday (Sep 18).

The PTC, which is the Singapore regulator for public transport fares, announced an overall fare increase of 7 per cent following the annual fare review exercise. The fare hikes will take effect on Dec 23.

The trend of sharper increases could potentially continue with the PTC again deferring a bulk of the fare adjustment quantum to future fare review exercises. 

This year's fare review exercise is the first under the new formula announced in April, which the PTC had said was aimed at keeping fares affordable and less volatile. As part of the review - conducted every five years - the fare formula was adjusted to include two fixed components to reduce swings in fare changes.

Adult card fares will increase by 10 cents for up to 4.2km and 11 cents for distances above that, while adult cash fares - used for bus rides - will increase by 20 cents. Adult monthly travel passes will remain at S$128.

The 11-cent increase is the highest, according to the PTC, which pointed out that 2019 also saw a 7 per cent increase in fares, but from a lower base.  

A lower increase will be implemented for concession card fares for students, seniors, low-wage workers and people with disabilities. Fares in this category will go up by 4 to 5 cents per journey, depending on the distance travelled. Concessionary cash fares for bus rides will increase by 10 cents. 

Perfect timing when everybody is trying to meet ends and fighting the raising cost of living.. well done 👏 

Btw, I may have to go back to my school economic textbook to check what’s the meaning of “public goods” or have my teacher taught me the wrong things..

well, no worries, everything will be forgotten in few months.

Guest Correction
12 hours ago, singalion said:

The fare hike is higher than the inflation. 

Just that salaries don't increase by 11% on a year to year basis. 

🙄

it’s not 11% - read the article again 

4 hours ago, Guest Correction said:

it’s not 11% - read the article again 

Better you read again. The article says "the overall fare increase"

19 hours ago, thickhead79 said:

an overall fare increase of 7 per cent following the annual fare review

Maybe I m just too smart to be fooled.

They say it is 7%. but calculated from what?

I personally assume the 7% are the average of all increases (inclusive of concession fares).

The longer your trip, the increase will be lower.

19 hours ago, thickhead79 said:

Adult card fares will increase by 10 cents for up to 4.2km and 11 cents for distances above that, while adult cash fares - used for bus rides - will increase by 20 cents

If you add the 20 cents for the bus trip fare hike, then it is even more than 11% for a short trip.

a) if the Trunk bus service up to 3.2km is 99 cents with the fare card (not cash!) then after the increase the fare is S$ 1.19

that makes 20.21% of increase.

b) For the train shortest distance

The current fare is with fare card 99 cents (up to 3.2km) , after the increase the fare will be S$1.09

That increase amounts to slightly above 10%.

c) If you take the longest train trip up to 40.2km, current fee is $2.26, it will increase to $2.37.

That increase is slightly above 5% only.

Let's be realistic. The bus and train companies make most money by the shorter trips.

For someone who takes just 3 to 4 stops by bus to work, the increase will amount to above 20% per trip.

The only lollypop they give you is that they seem to increase the shortest distance fare from 3.2 km to 4.2 km.

(Not clear from current article). 

So probably you can go approximately one or two bus stop(s) further with the 1.19 fare (which might end up as 1.29 fare because currently 4.2 km is at 1.09 [+20=1.29]). (For trains, there is no information on the distance between MRT stations, so can't predict if the added 1km comes to one more MRT station away.).

I don't get duped by such Straits Times or CNA reports and do my own calculation.

For someone who travels more than 40.2 km on bus and train per trip per day, the increase will come out as around 5%, for someone who just takes 4 stops on the bus the increase however is above 20% per trip.

Edited by singalion

7 hours ago, golf said:

Perfect timing when everybody is trying to meet ends and fighting the raising cost of living.. well done 👏 

Btw, I may have to go back to my school economic textbook to check what’s the meaning of “public goods” or have my teacher taught me the wrong things..

well, no worries, everything will be forgotten in few months.

Someone has to pay for the errors of those friends of certain people who were sitting at certain jobs at SMRT that had retail background but not transport and maintenance background....🤣

Point 2: Nah, it looks like it will be a yearly exercise now to increase fares. Last one was just in Dec 2022...

Even the "free" bench at East coast park is not a public good, because someone has to pay for it...

Better take the Ang pao during next ministers constituency walk with the 2 Ponkan... that's the best you can get back....

😁

Edited by singalion

4 hours ago, singalion said:

I personally assume the 7% are the average of all increases (inclusive of concession fares).

If you add the 20 cents for the bus trip fare hike, then it is even more than 11% for a short trip.

a) if the Trunk bus service up to 3.2km is 99 cents with the fare card (not cash!) then after the increase the fare is S$ 1.19

The current fare is with fare card 99 cents (up to 3.2km) , after the increase the fare will be S$1.09

c) If you take the longest train trip up to 40.2km, current fee is $2.26, it will increase to $2.37.

Let's be realistic. The bus and train companies make most money by the shorter trips.

For someone who takes just 3 to 4 stops by bus to work, the increase will amount to above 20% per trip.

The only lollypop they give you is that they seem to increase the shortest distance fare from 3.2 km to 4.2 km.

So probably you can go approximately one or two bus stop(s) further with the 1.19 fare (which might end up as 1.29 fare because currently 4.2 km is at 1.09 [+20=1.29]). (For trains, there is no information on the distance between MRT stations, so can't predict if the added 1km comes to one more MRT station away.).

I don't get duped by such Straits Times or CNA reports and do my own calculation.

For someone who travels more than 40.2 km on bus and train per trip per day, the increase will come out as around 5%, for someone who just takes 4 stops on the bus the increase however is above 20% per trip.

do u understand the new model of SG Bus concept?

In 2014, LTA announced that it would replace the existing operating model with the Bus Contracting Model (BCM) from 2016 onwards. Modelled after the Transperth model with elements of the competitive tendering model from London Buses, LTA would own all bus assets and lease them out in regional packages to different bus operators for five years. The first bus package, the Bulim Bus Package, was awarded to Anglo-Australian company Tower Transit whereas Loyang was awarded to Go-Ahead. Both companies began their operations in 2016. The entire public bus system was fully transitioned into the BCM by September 2016 with SBS Transit and SMRT signing agreements with LTA to operate the remaining packages up to 2021 to 2026 after which they would be gradually opened up to competitive tendering.

Edited by thickhead79

New Bus Contracting Model
  • LTA to own all* bus assets:
    Buses, bus depots, bus interchanges, fleet management systems, etc.
    * (except several assets such as buses and depots which are leased by SBS Transit / SMRT to LTA for availability fees)
  • LTA being the central bus planner, decides on bus services to be provided, and the service standards which operators have to meet
  • Bus operators will bid for bus route packages through a competitive tendering process, and be paid service fee (with incentives / disincentives; depending on performance) to operate the bus services.
  • All fare revenue will be retained by the Government and to ensure the affordability of public transport fares

Just now, thickhead79 said:
New Bus Contracting Model
  • LTA to own all* bus assets:
    Buses, bus depots, bus interchanges, fleet management systems, etc.
    * (except several assets such as buses and depots which are leased by SBS Transit / SMRT to LTA for availability fees)
  • LTA being the central bus planner, decides on bus services to be provided, and the service standards which operators have to meet
  • Bus operators will bid for bus route packages through a competitive tendering process, and be paid service fee (with incentives / disincentives; depending on performance) to operate the bus services.
  • All fare revenue will be retained by the Government and to ensure the affordability of public transport fares

bus operators no longer collect the fares but instead they bid the package and hire drivers to run the service

They are to meet KPI to get incentives from LTA

LTA owe everything now and inlcuding collecting the fares

Someone has to pay for the errors of those friends of certain people who were sitting at certain jobs at SMRT that had retail background but not transport and maintenance background....🤣

Point 2: Nah, it looks like it will be a yearly exercise now to increase fares. Last one was just in Dec 2022...

Even the "free" bench at East coast park is not a public good, because someone has to pay for it...

Better take the Ang pao during next ministers constituency walk with the 2 Ponkan... that's the best you can get back....

😁

yes take note, they said the increase this year suppose to be 22% but they only allow 7%

So the 15% will be consider in next review LOL

7 minutes ago, thickhead79 said:

yes take note, they said the increase this year suppose to be 22% but they only allow 7%

it is like after giving you a slap, I tell you that originally I wanted to give you two, but I’m so kind that I decided to give you special 50% discount.. so you must be thankful

Guest Correction

‘too smart to be fooled’?

on the basis of this wall of garbage, the answer is nope. 

why not just admit you mixed up 11 cents and 11 percent and move on? If you admit your mistakes, people will take you more seriously when you are correct. 

31 minutes ago, thickhead79 said:

As I demonstrated with my calculations, the overall increase might look like just 7% (inclusive of the concessions).

But the actual increase depends on what distance any commuter will travel.

The short bus trip may result in a 21% hike, the medium trip in above 10% and the longer trip in something around 5%.

PS: I don't feed any Guest trolls here.

There is nothing that I need to correct from my posts because for the MRT 10 cent hike it comes out for the MRT as a near to 11% increase for the first 4.2km.

For the bus it will be a shocking 20% increase for the first 4.2km.

There is nothing that I mixed up and no mistake to admit.

My presentations were all correct.

1 hour ago, singalion said:

As I demonstrated with my calculations, the overall increase might look like just 7% (inclusive of the concessions).

But the actual increase depends on what distance any commuter will travel.

The short bus trip may result in a 21% hike, the medium trip in above 10% and the longer trip in something around 5%.

PS: I don't feed any Guest trolls here.

There is nothing that I need to correct from my posts because for the MRT 10 cent hike it comes out for the MRT as a near to 11% increase for the first 4.2km.

do u know our fares is distance base

total distance u travel per trip include bus and mrt

Guest NEWS Tpt
On 9/18/2023 at 10:56 PM, thickhead79 said:

SINGAPORE: The latest bus and train fare increases will more than double from last year's hike, which means adult commuters will pay 10 to 11 cents more per journey, the Public Transport Council (PTC) said on Monday (Sep 18).

The PTC, which is the Singapore regulator for public transport fares, announced an overall fare increase of 7 per cent following the annual fare review exercise. The fare hikes will take effect on Dec 23.

The trend of sharper increases could potentially continue with the PTC again deferring a bulk of the fare adjustment quantum to future fare review exercises. 

This year's fare review exercise is the first under the new formula announced in April, which the PTC had said was aimed at keeping fares affordable and less volatile. As part of the review - conducted every five years - the fare formula was adjusted to include two fixed components to reduce swings in fare changes.

Adult card fares will increase by 10 cents for up to 4.2km and 11 cents for distances above that, while adult cash fares - used for bus rides - will increase by 20 cents. Adult monthly travel passes will remain at S$128.

The 11-cent increase is the highest, according to the PTC, which pointed out that 2019 also saw a 7 per cent increase in fares, but from a lower base.  

A lower increase will be implemented for concession card fares for students, seniors, low-wage workers and people with disabilities. Fares in this category will go up by 4 to 5 cents per journey, depending on the distance travelled. Concessionary cash fares for bus rides will increase by 10 cents. 

We read news.  we dont need to cut and paste the entitle article 

also 10 - 50 cents no big deal 

Every hawker is increasing their price , so it came as a HUGE surprise and your overall wealth affected ah 

5 hours ago, thickhead79 said:

the changes overall still base on total distance travel

less than 4.2km 10cent extra

more than 4.2km 11cents extra

My point is, that 11 cents on top of 2.26 is a lower increase (roughly 5% increase) compared to 11 cents on top of 1.09 (roughly 10.6%).

This means the percentage increase for the first 4.2 km and next unit is higher than for the 40.2 and above km trip.

Meaning, if you don't travel long distance, then the increase result in more to pay.

That was all.

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Start to cycle to Work or cycle to mall to save yr bus fare.

wow u so poor for that 10 - 50 cents u have to resort to such 

But if a hot hunk jio u to his house at the other end by any fare u will go right 

Guest SING A LONG
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

He's not American. He's just another angmoh who has an extremely high opinion of himself. 

This one, outside angmo , inside more kaypoh than those HDB aged auntie 

See peh quarrelsome, wonder why is he allowed to float around in ALMOST every chat topics 

Is an eye sore to see his nick let alone read his opinion which is 90% full of his self entitled ang mo attitude 

On 9/21/2023 at 11:33 AM, thickhead79 said:

well everyone can voice what they want ... 

Sure, everyone can voice what they want. But can they go around to propagate mistruths and LIES the way this guy do all over the forum like the one below? 

On 9/19/2023 at 11:10 PM, singalion said:

"for the MRT as a near to 11% increase for the first 4.2km. For the bus it will be a shocking 20% increase for the first 4.2km."??? And how did he come up with those numbers? He simply pluck some numbers and massage them into the worst case scenario, just so that he can double up on his mistruths and lies and force fit his "fixed" numbers into his narratives.  

4 hours ago, Guest SING A LONG said:

This one, outside angmo , inside more kaypoh than those HDB aged auntie 

See peh quarrelsome, wonder why is he allowed to float around in ALMOST every chat topics 

Is an eye sore to see his nick let alone read his opinion which is 90% full of his self entitled ang mo attitude 

Yeah ... and the mods have been turning a blind eye to all his trolling posts for the longest time ever! He really deserves to be trolled back into oblivion. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.