Male HQ

Home Improvement - Sharing Pictures Of Your Home And/Or Your Room

IkuTube

On 10/6/2023 at 8:05 PM, Guest Renovaid said:

Thanks Ikutube for starting this thread and sharing your beautiful home. I did a little upgrade to my room post-covid converting it into a little “entertainment room” 😁

My messy room (pre-covid)

My room (post-covid)

spacer.png

Baby blue,  is the not typical color most people will choose for their home. 

Edited by Sweetie Pie

2 hours ago, lohwpr said:

This is my 4bedroom HDB flat. It is a very old unit. TOP 1979. I bought it in 2006 for S$335,000. Around 885 sqft. 1 toilet.  

In those days, with that money, I could have bought a 5 room flat in some areas. Many commented that I made the wrong decision.

You are considered quite lucky.  Imagine yourself being a couple years early (during Mah Bao Tan era),  Singles are NOT ALLOWED to buy anything bigger than 3-room flat. 

If I am not mistaken, the property price sky-rocketted after 2004.  Prior to that, during the SARs period, the amount you paid for your current 4-room can easily get you a Maisonett HDB.  Oops!

Edited by Sweetie Pie

Guest Renovaid
1 hour ago, Sweetie Pie said:

Baby blue,  is the not typical color most people will choose for their home. 

Good to hear that it’s not a typical colour most will go for. I’m a blue person so I like some injections of blue colour in my room. 

Guest Oriental
4 hours ago, lohwpr said:

This is my 4bedroom HDB flat. It is a very old unit. TOP 1979. I bought it in 2006 for S$335,000. Around 885 sqft. 1 toilet.  

In those days, with that money, I could have bought a 5 room flat in some areas. Many commented that I made the wrong decision.

This flat was occupied by 2 elderly. The place was badly maintained and I remembered there was a stench of urine in the air. 

The decor is aligned with the concept of Shinhwa Series where east meets west. I removed most of the walls and created a bigger working space. Bedroom and hall are integrated. Due to the file size limitation, I would have shown u the kitchen. These photos were taken by professional.

LowresBrasBasah01A.thumb.jpeg.4c073531a37759caf283423aeaa4e20b.jpegLowresBrasBasah03A.thumb.jpeg.9f5ae150cd59b0b97bd98124a6797ea2.jpegLowresBrasBasah08A.thumb.jpeg.9663e30158aa27916be46a79be1b0cfd.jpegLowresBrasBasah05A.thumb.jpeg.26738eee95b4377dedbd39fd9c6ef7b3.jpeg

Are most of these rendering pictures?  Can show the real pictures?

2 minutes ago, Singroc said:

image.jpg

This is my dining and study area. I am staying in a small apt and this is my favorite place.

Sparkling clean! Spotless!

Thanks for sharing, @Singroc.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Should members/guests want to share their photos, the easiest way is to upload your photos at postimage.org.

Once they are uploaded on that site, highlight on the photo and look for the 'share' icon to get the link.  Copy the link and paste it here.  This route will show your photo here instead of the link.

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

On 10/14/2023 at 2:51 PM, Singroc said:

IMG-4579.jpg

This is my open kitchen.

Thanks for sharing some of the internals of ur mancave 

i esp luv the kitchen 

ive nt gotten my mancave yet 

can anybody share or debunk a myth 

whenever i look at the floorplan, the layout of the kitchen on the placement of items dun seem to flow nicely 

@Singroc do u feel the space btw the basin n the cooktop abit small if u need to do the chopping post washing ? 

also, for open kitchen, does it equates to limited to simple cooking to avoid cooking smell extending outwards ? 

alternatively, is it ok for u to share, what changes will u make if can redo the kitchen layout ? 

no offence but i go with sequence of "prep-wash-cut-cook" for the kitchen

jus my 2 cents of comments and sorry if i asked too many questions

Edited by gambitangel

3 hours ago, gambitangel said:

Thanks for sharing some of the internals of ur mancave 

i esp luv the kitchen 

ive nt gotten my mancave yet 

whenever i look at the floorplan, the layout of the kitchen on the placement of items dun seem to flow nicely 

@Singroc do u feel the space btw the basin n the cooktop abit small if u need to do the chopping post washing ? 

also, for open kitchen, does it equates to limited to simple cooking to avoid cooking smell extending outwards ? 

alternatively, is it ok for u to share, what changes will u make if can redo the kitchen layout ? 

no offence but i go with sequence of "prep-wash-cut-cook" for the kitchen

jus my 2 cents of comments and sorry if i asked too many questions

Hi @gambitangel, thanks for the compliments.

Yes, I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I am constrained by the size of the apartment hence could not have a fully functional kitchen.
I know I won’t do much cooking when I got this apt so I am ok with a kitchen with such layout.

But I did made a mistake during renovation. I should have extended the countertop all the way to cover the washing machine, then I will have more space for food prep. Now if I need more space, I will do it above the hob (no cooking started yet) or use the other L shape side of the counter top.

Yes, with open kitchen advisable not to do heavy cooking.

49 minutes ago, Singroc said:

But I did made a mistake during renovation. I should have extended the countertop all the way to cover the washing machine, then I will have more space for food prep. Now if I need more space, I will do it above the hob (no cooking started yet) or use the other L shape side of the counter top.

Yes, with open kitchen advisable not to do heavy cooking.

You can relocate your washing machine to somewhere and bring in a matchy matchy island table in its place or

Instead of keeping it vacant, go to Ikea and get a wood plank for the top of your washing machine to handle food prep and make it functional as part of the kitchen.   If not in use, you can also decorate it.  I see there is an electrical plug nearby which is extremely useful for many things.

Edited by Sweetie Pie

You can relocate your washing machine to somewhere and bring in a matchy matchy island table in its place or

Instead of keeping it vacant, go to Ikea and get a wood plank for the top of your washing machine to handle food prep and make it functional as part of the kitchen.   If not in use, you can also decorate it.  I see there is an electrical plug nearby which is extremely useful for many things.

Er, but you don’t know the layout of my unit. A lot of work to relocate the washer without incurring high reno costs. 

There are many things which on hindsight I might have done otherwise.

Maybe till my next reno bah. It serves my needs for now.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway. :)

Edited by Singroc

10 hours ago, gambitangel said:

In the interior world, there is the triangle rule for kitchen.  Usually, a good interior designer will be able to maximize this concept.  However, it still depends largely on the space of the kitchen area.  At times, it is not possible to achieve.

Some people take such a triangle rule a geomancy thing.  Personally for me, it is all about being functional.

Good to think through how your lifestyle is going to be, with regards to the kitchen before executing the renovation.

24 minutes ago, Singroc said:

Yes. I think it’s ok. I don’t really feel it. Maybe it’s the high ceiling.

You live in a modest condominium, right?  I am aware that some small condominiums have kitchens that are smaller than the kitchen of 2 rooms HDB BTO.   We all cracked jokes about how the tiny kitchen in my ex-colleague's one-bedroom condo should actually be dubbed the pantry instead.  Even her toilet is quite small; it can only accommodate one person.  She said that all of her family members live in condos and that she was too malu to purchase a HDB even when she could afford it.  She may have said she spent roughly $800,000 on the private apartment.  I cringed at her answer. 

Edited by Sweetie Pie

26 minutes ago, Sweetie Pie said:

You live in a modest condominium, right?  I am aware that some small condominiums have kitchens that are smaller than the kitchen of 2 rooms HDB BTO.   We all cracked jokes about how the tiny kitchen in my ex-colleague's one-bedroom condo should actually be dubbed the pantry instead.  Even her toilet is quite small; it can only accommodate one person.  She said that all of her family members live in condos and that she was too malu to purchase a HDB even when she could afford it.  She may have said she spent roughly $800,000 on the private apartment.  I cringed at her answer. 

Well, it might be small (only 603sf) but it meets my requirements and budget.

Guess you must be staying in a GCB?

On 10/2/2023 at 1:18 PM, IkuTube said:

Let me start.

Living Room:

Living Room for BW.jpg

On 10/14/2023 at 9:09 AM, lohwpr said:

This flat was occupied by 2 elderly. The place was badly maintained and I remembered there was a stench of urine in the air. 

The decor is aligned with the concept of Shinhwa Series where east meets west. I removed most of the walls and created a bigger working space. Bedroom and hall are integrated. Due to the file size limitation, I would have shown u the kitchen. These photos were taken by professional.

LowresBrasBasah01A.thumb.jpeg.4c073531a37759caf283423aeaa4e20b.jpegLowresBrasBasah03A.thumb.jpeg.9f5ae150cd59b0b97bd98124a6797ea2.jpegLowresBrasBasah08A.thumb.jpeg.9663e30158aa27916be46a79be1b0cfd.jpegLowresBrasBasah05A.thumb.jpeg.26738eee95b4377dedbd39fd9c6ef7b3.jpeg

On 10/14/2023 at 2:45 PM, Singroc said:

image.jpg

This is my dining and study area. I am staying in a small apt and this is my favorite place.

4 hours ago, Singroc said:

IMG-6082.jpg

My Living area. Small place.

Very Nice Gif Borat

33 minutes ago, Singroc said:

Well, it might be small (only 603sf) but it meets my requirements and budget.

Guess you must be staying in a GCB?

No lah, GCB is not within my reach, nor will it be my cup of tea.  I prefer HDB modest size two bedrooms, two toilets good enough.  Kitchen big enough for me to make sweet pie can oredi.   I am not aiming for instagram material nor sample photos for all home magazines.   When people saw my kitchen.. they.say how come like that?   

6 minutes ago, Sweetie Pie said:

No lah, GCB is not within my reach, nor will it be my cup of tea.  I prefer HDB modest size two bedrooms, two toilets good enough.  Kitchen big enough for me to make sweet pie can oredi.   I am not aiming for instagram material nor sample photos for all home magazines.   When people saw my kitchen.. they.say how come like that?   

Sibeh lame leh the reply.  More like sour grape fella full of frustrations inside.  And the jealousy that others can have, including that friend of yours with her $800K apartment.

2 hours ago, Singroc said:

Yes. I think it’s ok. I don’t really feel it. Maybe it’s the high ceiling.

Love high ceiling. Is yours a corner unit?

A property agent told me if the side wall is facing west sun, it won't be hot as it has less time to absorb heat when the sun is setting. I don't know if I could trust her.

8 hours ago, Guest Lame said:

Sibeh lame leh the reply.  More like sour grape fella full of frustrations inside.  And the jealousy that others can have, including that friend of yours with her $800K apartment.

Don't be so sensitive lah.  I visited many places and even watch people home on youtube.  Everyone has different opinions, different experiences and different preferences which are welcomed to be shared and talked about.  Nobody is harmed in any ways.   Otherwise life so boring here.

7 hours ago, kidster said:

A property agent told me if the side wall is facing west sun, it won't be hot as it has less time to absorb heat when the sun is setting. I don't know if I could trust her.

When constructing a flat, HDB will take facing factors into account.  They will construct an additional external wall if they anticipate that the sun will be especially harsh on your home. This wall will block or at the very least filter out the sun's rays.  When facing west, it can get very hot as well, but other times you get to enjoy the exquisite sight of watching the sun set in a stunning orangey red and golden glow.   I've also occasionally seen the brilliant Venus in its glorious sight.    

It's best to face east or north east to enjoy the full moon at night too, and NE facing direction, if unblocked, can get very very windy throughout most of the year.

9 hours ago, kidster said:

Yes it’s a corner unit, south east facing so no afternoon sun.

Actually if facing west, you definitely feel the heat especially in the afternoon. I was staying in a west facing apt previously so can attest to it.

11 hours ago, kidster said:

Ditch that lying property agent. 

My bedroom faces west directly, and it is hot as hell.  The bricks start absorbing solar energy from 2 to 3 pm onwards as the sun starts to shine on it.  So we are talking about 2 pm to 7 pm, which is about 5 hours.   I have to wait for my room to cool down before I sleep in it.  

8 hours ago, yhtang said:

My bedroom faces west directly, and it is hot as hell.  The bricks start absorbing solar energy from 2 to 3 pm onwards as the sun starts to shine on it.  So we are talking about 2 pm to 7 pm, which is about 5 hours.   I have to wait for my room to cool down before I sleep in it.  

That's what I have been advised. Avoid buying a unit with windows or walls facing west as the heat from the afternoon sun will make your house feel like a sauna.

10 minutes ago, radiusulnar said:

best to have bathroom west facing if possible. keeps it fresh, dry and reduce chance of mould.

For bathroom, that is definitely true.  Not quite for bedroom, or the kitchen. 

Can you imagine cooking the evening meal in sauna-like condition? 

Back to the topic of home improvement and regarding the kitchen, I know it is hot in there when the cooking starts. 

I have known some people to install a ceiling fan in the kitchen, but I am not keen on that idea because the fan just circulates the hot air and cooking fumes in the kitchen. 

No, I do not have a solution for HDB flats but I do know a cooking hood helps reduce the cooking fumes in the kitchen. 

On 10/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, kidster said:

Nice! Top floor? Is it true the highest floor is very hot n stuffy due to trapping of heat during the day?

People always say stay in top floor will be hot and stuffy and prone to water leaks from roof. But i don't mind staying on top floor since i hate people staying above my unit keep dragging things on the floor or running and stomping sound on the floor.

Another thing about 'top floor' - though it is good to have a professional to qualify my statement - it has a better resale price?

It is a good choice for younger eligible occupant, who can afford, to get it as an investment.  It could be your 'generational wealth' built today for tomorrow.  Down the years, as this individual grows older, he can downgrade to lower unit.

Pros and drawbacks for the TOP floor. If you are in a hurry and your elevator breaks down or if you live on the 25th floor and the lift stops for other passengers every floor, it will take you "years" to get home.   Not sure roof top water tank is still a thing for new HDB flat, and if nobody is staying above you it can be creepy if you hear noises coming from the roof.  You will also be the last to evacuate in the event of an earthquake scare or a lower floor on fire, once everyone from the lower floor has made it to ground level faster than you do.  You are not allowed to take lift when the building is on fire too, so you are forced to walk down slowly from 25th floor to the ground level.  TOP floor, can generally be very quiet because you are far away from the daily activities which can easily be heard from the ground level. - like Getai, pasar malam, night insects sounds, trees rustling...etc

Edited by Sweetie Pie

30 minutes ago, MikeC said:

Yes can personally attest to inconvenience of lift breakdown: I just wait downstairs (thankfully nice scenery) or go to a cafe until lift is repaired.

Creepy sounds - nope. It can happen to any floor.

Noise level - I am not so sure as contrary to our instinct, some say noise such as road traffic does travel upwards. Personally I don’t think high floor is that quiet.

As for earthquake : depends on whether one got out of the building before it collapses. If collapsed, survivors on higher floors have higher chance of being found and rescued? Oh well, we just do our best to live well and hope for the best.

For newer BTO, the rate of all the lifts breakdown quite low, unless power failure. Esp most of the newer BTO is at least 30 over storey to 40 plus storey, so the lift should not breakdown so easily.

If you have some unit staying above you, if you hear any creepy sounds, you can blame the unit above you. But if you stay on top floor, it would be indeed quite creepy to hear any sounds above your unit, esp if you hear running sound or dragging things sound. 

Road noise should travel up, the higher you stay the road noise would be greater. So i agreed it is not that quiet on high floor from the road noise.

Pros and drawbacks for the TOP floor. If you are in a hurry and your elevator breaks down or if you live on the 25th floor and the lift stops for other passengers every floor, it will take you "years" to get home.   Not sure roof top water tank is still a thing for new HDB flat, and if nobody is staying above you it can be creepy if you hear noises coming from the roof.  You will also be the last to evacuate in the event of an earthquake scare or a lower floor on fire, once everyone from the lower floor has made it to ground level faster than you do.  You are not allowed to take lift when the building is on fire too, so you are forced to walk down slowly from 25th floor to the ground level.  TOP floor, can generally be very quiet because you are far away from the daily activities which can easily be heard from the ground level. - like Getai, pasar malam, night insects sounds, trees rustling...etc

Agreed that if you stay on high floor, the lift might stop on many floors for other residents to get in. It could be quite headache and time consuming. I have experience that when my office is on a high floor office building.

On 10/17/2023 at 7:13 AM, gambitangel said:

You are right with your comment.

Looks like a single kitchen of someone who doesn't cook much at home, maybe only reheats some food.

The glass cookers seems to only have 2 spots to cook. for any home cooking boy that would too little to prepare some nice dishes. Can't even do a pasta with veggies at the side because you seem not to be able to place 3 pots.

If he has a strong cooker absorber flowing outwards then surely any strong cooking smells won't flow into the other parts of the flat.

But what person who loves cooking has issues with food smell? I just wonder if there are any doors.

On 10/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, kidster said:

Nice! Top floor? Is it true the highest floor is very hot n stuffy due to trapping of heat during the day?

As usual top floors have pros and cons. In Condominiums where moving in and out and sales nowadays are quite common, you just need a family with 3 kids in the age range of 2 - 10 and then you actually prefer to stay more out of your flat instead of inside if you are in one of the center floors. 

But like me, on the top floor, you don't suffer such noise from above. It also enables you often to walk in the nude around your home as nobody can look into your flat.

The issue in Singapore is more that they don't do any insulation for the roof top. And most ceiling boards are very thin.

But for many HDB or newer Condo flats, there is something on the top floor nowadays, so often there isn't any roof top but some pool, gym or BBQ garden and sorts of that.

On 10/2/2023 at 1:18 PM, IkuTube said:

Let me start.

Living Room:

Living Room for BW.jpg

Reminds me of certain HDBs in Pasir Ris, that come with this type of balcony...  The only thing I noted  is that you have a lot of carpets, which translates that your aircon should be switched to 20 degrees. haha.

Flat is cosy but still quite spacious.

We both have something in common, as I saw you like Van Gogh.

Hope you managed to see the Starry night in real at the one exhibition at the National Museum... (but the one painting is actually not the real starry night but the starry night over the Rhone river seen from Arles. 

The kitchen looks a bit too tidy for my taste but eventually the pics are from shortly after you moved into the flat when all renovations were finalised...

What is the bell for in the living room? First I thought it is to attach a... ehemm.

On 10/18/2023 at 12:16 PM, yhtang said:

Can't do a heat absorbing insulation? Nowadays there is a lot of stuff around to help keeping the interior cooler.

Maybe get an Interior Designer to help.

34 minutes ago, singalion said:

Can't do a heat absorbing insulation? Nowadays there is a lot of stuff around to help keeping the interior cooler.

Maybe get an Interior Designer to help.

Thanks for the idea.  I am too lazy to go sort out some insulating material, but indeed, that is a possibility.  Anyway, I am usually in either my work room or in my hall and I only use my bedroom for sleeping.  

12 hours ago, yhtang said:

Thanks for the idea.  I am too lazy to go sort out some insulating material, but indeed, that is a possibility.  Anyway, I am usually in either my work room or in my hall and I only use my bedroom for sleeping.  

But with the hot temperatures the last two years, it can be difficult to fall asleep if the bedroom is too hot. It would help to keep the whole flat cooler also.

Edited by singalion
typo

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.