Male HQ

Long-sighted / Presbyopia - Any preventive measures and treatments?

Long-sighted is hypermetropia or hyperopia, not the same as presbyopia.

Hypermetropia is refractive condition of the eyes that happened to any age, even baby.

As for presbyopia, it is due to the ageing of the natural lens in the eyes.

5 hours ago, radiusulnar said:

Reading glasses to the rescue!

Yeap. 
it’s rather annoying when you have to bring down your reading glass when you need to look further and put it back again when you need to read. Doing it repeatedly…. mmm. 
And… you need to have a pair in all your bags, in case you have forgotten to bring it out with you. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2024 at 1:00 AM, bluerunner said:

Yeap. 
it’s rather annoying when you have to bring down your reading glass when you need to look further and put it back again when you need to read. Doing it repeatedly…. mmm. 
And… you need to have a pair in all your bags, in case you have forgotten to bring it out with you. 

If one needs already a refractive correction that requires glasses or contacts, like for myopia,  there is a solution to presbyopia, which is called "monovision".

Presbyopia is a natural condition of the eye that comes with age, where the lens loses elasticity and limits the accommodation ( ability of the eye to focus on different distances ).  A solution that works well for many people is to have different corrections for the two eyes,  one optimized for far distance viewing,  the other for near distance viewing.  The difference in correction between the eyes can be as large as several diopter.  Our brain automatically adapt to this difference, and the result is a normal vision that works well for near and far.  

I have myopia, and my left eye is optimized for distance, while the right eye is for reading.  I am living with this monovision for most of my adult life, and my brain is happy with it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.