Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

The exhibitionist guy said it all. There are no secret ways to gain muscle mass man. And I never believe that its hard to gain muscle or give an excuse that your metabolism rate is high and such. Was a xcountry runner and soccer player during my sec school days. Same as exhibitionist, was another perfect example of an ectomorph. Even though I eat a lot of junk, etc, my body was a lean/skinny, 50-55kg kid. Now I'm weighing at 78kg, broader shoulders, thicker chest and back that when I meet my old classmates, most would ask whether I'm on roids. And that's still not the end of my journey. From struggling to bench 5kg aside, now my bench almost hit 40kg a side, squats hitting 55kg a side and deadlifting 60+ kg aside. As to how I get there,eat like a beast, train like a beast. And most importantly have proper sleep and rest. Made the mistake of being sucked in all the stupid supplement hype and wasted a hell lot of money. U don't need a lot of supplements unless you're planning to compete. And even so, the athletes endorsing the supps got where they are from being juiced rather than the supps. What u need are just basically a decent cheap protein, and maybe creatine mono at the start. Just eat clean, get 5-6 meals a day. What food? any! chicken breast, turkey, salmon, steaks. pasta, rice, whole grains. veggies and fruits! Any dude can go to a gym and lift, but it takes discipline to actually get the gains you're seeking. Get up early to blend and prepare your shakes for the day, eat a huge bfast. Sleep early, reduce clubbing,drinking,smoking. Really, it's not that hard or impossible to achieve your gains man. All u need is discipline. What works for others may not work for u. Find and tweak a plan that gives u the most gains. And once u start on your journey, no turning back. Enjoy lifting, eating and have enough rest. And your gains will come along the way. Yeaaa buddy!

Wht have u been eating for the past 8 mths, having to gain weight from 52kg to 72kg???

Muscle Memory helped a lot, I gained most of the mass in the first 3 months of training. About 12kg lean mass in 3 months. It was ridiculous. I was skeptical about muscle memory but 12kg in 3 months is just proof of Muscle Memory. Gaining lean mass once you've had it and shrunk back down is a lot faster when you bulk again, I actually cut down fat as well. From a 31" waist no abs to 29" with faded abs, visible intercostals, adonis belt and lower ab veins. And not to mention visible serratus.

From then on, it's a slow gain, with the most efficient diet you're looking at 1lb of muscle a month, that's about 0.48kg of lean mass per month. Muscle memory's faded in the last 2 months or so, and now its back to slow and steady gains. There's no faster way besides cycling steroids. Even with a good steroid stack you're looking to work harder than naturals because steroids give you a boost in recovery so you can hit the weights faster and stronger. If you don't work 2x as hard when you're on a steroid cycle you might as well do it natural because your gains are gonna be worse or similar to a natural.

I'm not against steroids, just that it's illegal.

Eat, Sleep, Lift.

Only way you're gonna get big.

Remember, muscle is built during rest, not at the gym. You're tearing your muscles down at the gym.

Food builds muscles, exercise destroys them.

And another interesting thing, strength =/ size. They're not totally unrelated but they're also independant of each other. Just because you're gaining strength doesn't mean you're building muscle. Strength is mostly gained through more efficient CNS mechanics. Your nervous system, not muscle mass. So if you're gaining strength, but don't see any gains in muscle mass, eat more, your workouts are good, just not your diet.

Edited by Compulsivexhibitionist

• 3 weeks later...

Was in Cambodia & came across an unusual gym nested in a row of terrace type workshops.

Rusty gym equipments with about 30 topless guys working out with sweaty bodies. No aircon; open air.

Most r very fit & well muscled, tanned & worker-type; watching them was a real turn-on, besides being a motivation for a "perfect" bod!

Some r very good looking too :)

Anyone know of such a gym in Sg?

Was in Cambodia & came across an unusual gym nested in a row of terrace type workshops.

Rusty gym equipments with about 30 topless guys working out with sweaty bodies. No aircon; open air.

Most r very fit & well muscled, tanned & worker-type; watching them was a real turn-on, besides being a motivation for a "perfect" bod!

Some r very good looking too :)

Anyone know of such a gym in Sg?

Sounds hawd.

The closest place I know of would be where the Singapore Olympic Weightlifters lift.

Hello dude!

I'd like to bulk up very much... hope to get some advice here and u guys can share your tips with one another here...

I've tried to gym, exercise every morning and even tried protein like my friends... Results are very sloooow...

How do you guys bulk up and any success stories out there to share?

Many thaaanksss!!!

I don't think I'm good at this. But just wanna share my knowledge and experience.

Common mistake is that protein alone doesn't help you gaining weight. (for the record, some go for loosing weight with protein). It all depends on your diet. As far as I know, you need to pair with a high carbs diet with protein to gain.

Second, it's good to be aware of your body. Here, especially, how much calorie it burns a day. What I do is, I'll just usually take more (healthy) calorie than my body can burn.

If you are a little more than a beginner in the gym, you may try creating. It may help you.

I'm trying to shed some fats for now. My rule is to burn my dinner with exercises, either by weight training or cardio. :-P

I'm sure there are many guys here who know a lot more than I do. (I just happen know a tiny bit.)

I don't think I'm good at this. But just wanna share my knowledge and experience.

Common mistake is that protein alone doesn't help you gaining weight. (for the record, some go for loosing weight with protein). It all depends on your diet. As far as I know, you need to pair with a high carbs diet with protein to gain.

Second, it's good to be aware of your body. Here, especially, how much calorie it burns a day. What I do is, I'll just usually take more (healthy) calorie than my body can burn.

If you are a little more than a beginner in the gym, you may try creating. It may help you.

I'm trying to shed some fats for now. My rule is to burn my dinner with exercises, either by weight training or cardio. :-P

I'm sure there are many guys here who know a lot more than I do. (I just happen know a tiny bit.)

High carbs? Will it work wif rice every meal? What else can I take for more carbs? Thanks

GreatMast, do you take any supplement, how may meals and how often you workout . saw many people that gym like playing in the gym, talk with friends, over phone and rest more than seroius gym, you may do wrong method too, best is you can find some serios gymmer workout with you so he able to guide you

You remind me of those who spend time on the bench just to chat on phone. >.<

GreatMast, do you take any supplement, how may meals and how often you workout . saw many people that gym like playing in the gym, talk with friends, over phone and rest more than seroius gym, you may do wrong method too, best is you can find some serios gymmer workout with you so he able to guide you

taking some proteins

3 meals a day: breakfast lunch dinner (snacks in between)

i go for a light jog every morning to e neighborhood fitness corner, really sloow jog abt 2km... do some statics like pull up push up n crunches after that everyday

gym once in a while when i get gym access from friends.. n i always gym by myself... so no talking cock wif ppl...

Bingo! I'm looking a a someone who noes the stuff to teach me :P

Thk u!

You aren't as bad as me when I started that's fo sho'.

Just eat lots of meat rice and vegs. Rice and meat are best for bulking. Don't care about abs. Unless you're extremely genetically gifted you'll put on fat if you want to bulk anyway. Cut afterwards when you're satisfied with what you have.

Lift hard, go heavy, don't do cardio. 2km? Run for like 15 mins every week to keep your heart rate up.

The rest is in a post I created on the last page. Basically all the knowledge you need to bulk up. It's simple. Eat more than you burn, lift until you burn like hell, and sleep well.

And for those who keep saying you can never bulk up

You lie

Skinny and NO abs, wtf.

Hi. V taper of peace. STill no where near where I want to be though but it still IS progress. And a lot from where I started from.

OMG... Compulsivexhibitionist... I'm so impressed by your progress :clap: ... You know what, it gives me some hope... If only I've half our yours... :unsure: I'm sometimes sadden by the fact that I'm so small in size... just saw a big guy hugging someone in the shopping mall ytd...

So meat and rice every meal helps? I have that every meal... but doesn't seem to have much effect though, it's really hard for me to grow big just by eating alone, it's evident in my past 23 years of life... what type of meat & rice you refer to?

Lifting hard is not an easy task for me... I always have difficulty lifting them, can't and don't really want to force myself just in case I injure myself.. what do you propose for that?

Do push up n pull up helps?

Thks! :)

OMG... Compulsivexhibitionist... I'm so impressed by your progress :clap: ... You know what, it gives me some hope... If only I've half our yours... :unsure: I'm sometimes sadden by the fact that I'm so small in size... just saw a big guy hugging someone in the shopping mall ytd...

So meat and rice every meal helps? I have that every meal... but doesn't seem to have much effect though, it's really hard for me to grow big just by eating alone, it's evident in my past 23 years of life... what type of meat & rice you refer to?

Lifting hard is not an easy task for me... I always have difficulty lifting them, can't and don't really want to force myself just in case I injure myself.. what do you propose for that?

Do push up n pull up helps?

Thks! :)

If you lift with good form there should be virtually no risk of injury. But as they say, no risk, no reward. Get a spotter in the gym, you can still go alone, but when you push extra hard don't be afraid to ask people for help. It's the biggest guys that are the friendliest in the gym. Just don't bother them in the middle of an exercise.

You're in the gym to toil and sweat like a madman, not to lounge around and be comfortable. IMO if you're not dying at the end of a workout, you're doing it wrong.

Pushups and pullups are good, but dips and pullups are better. Dips hit your delts your tris and your chest, HARD. Pushups are easy stuff. If you can't do dips for whatever reasons then do pushups elevated or with a backpack with weights.

Do variations, wide pullups, wide pushups, narrow pushups, diamond pushups, hammer grip pullups everything. Pullups are a great massbuilder for back, and gives you the width you need for a v taper. I personally do lots of chinups as apposed to pullups because I'm able to get a better contraction of the back with chins. People say do wide grips for width, which is true, but they mostly hit your Teres Major instead of your Latissimus Dorsi, which is what gives you immense width. And it also messes up your rotator cuffs if you have weak rotator cuffs.

Find out what works for yourself. Experiment a little.

If you lift with good form there should be virtually no risk of injury. But as they say, no risk, no reward. Get a spotter in the gym, you can still go alone, but when you push extra hard don't be afraid to ask people for help. It's the biggest guys that are the friendliest in the gym. Just don't bother them in the middle of an exercise.

You're in the gym to toil and sweat like a madman, not to lounge around and be comfortable. IMO if you're not dying at the end of a workout, you're doing it wrong.

Pushups and pullups are good, but dips and pullups are better. Dips hit your delts your tris and your chest, HARD. Pushups are easy stuff. If you can't do dips for whatever reasons then do pushups elevated or with a backpack with weights.

Do variations, wide pullups, wide pushups, narrow pushups, diamond pushups, hammer grip pullups everything. Pullups are a great massbuilder for back, and gives you the width you need for a v taper. I personally do lots of chinups as apposed to pullups because I'm able to get a better contraction of the back with chins. People say do wide grips for width, which is true, but they mostly hit your Teres Major instead of your Latissimus Dorsi, which is what gives you immense width. And it also messes up your rotator cuffs if you have weak rotator cuffs.

Find out what works for yourself. Experiment a little.

Thank you so much! I'll try to wack the hell out of it when I gym the next time. :)

Hmm, I wouldn't recommend a beginner to whack the hell out in the gym. What I would recommend is that u start off with mark rippetoe's starting strength program. It's a little bit monotonous but it'll do wonders to all your core lifts plus its a progressive program. U can't get big just by curling or doing isolations. U have to get used to a staple of squats, deadlifts, rows, bench and presses. For arms, weighted dips and weighted chins will get your arms pumped. Also, 3 meals a day isn't sufficient if u wanna bulk. Increase your calorie intake. And if u wanna get supps, just a decent protein and creatine mono will do. Your macros will play a vital role.

Hmm, I wouldn't recommend a beginner to whack the hell out in the gym. What I would recommend is that u start off with mark rippetoe's starting strength program. It's a little bit monotonous but it'll do wonders to all your core lifts plus its a progressive program. U can't get big just by curling or doing isolations. U have to get used to a staple of squats, deadlifts, rows, bench and presses. For arms, weighted dips and weighted chins will get your arms pumped. Also, 3 meals a day isn't sufficient if u wanna bulk. Increase your calorie intake. And if u wanna get supps, just a decent protein and creatine mono will do. Your macros will play a vital role.

Now I'm confused... what should I really do.. hahah

5x5 is a great way of starting off.

However,you'd need to have great form though which is something most beginners would not be able to replicate at the starting.

Experimenting around the gym and trying out different exercises is how I feel a novice should learn his way around.

Haha, take whatever u read with a pinch of salt. Everyone have their own genetic capabilities. But it doesn't mean that if you're an ectomorph u wouldn't get huge. So experiment around, change your diet, regime which suits u well. I'm just saying that as a beginner, u should get your basic compound movements right and the rest will naturally follow. Rippetoe's program is suited for that. That program got me started on the right track. I was a 50+ kg scrawny kid in my jc/sec school days. When I initially started gyming, I ignored all these compound movements. I knew very little. But I gave it all in the gym. All i did was DB presses, bicep curls, a bit of triceps extensions and some shoulder presses. I did get some gains but it was minimal. When I've implemented all these big movements, that's when I really began to grow.

Edited by ash12

If you really want to get fat really fast, it is very simple. Just eat lots of butter.

At one time I really loved butter rice, butter toast, butter spaghetti .....

After 6 months, I blew up as fat and round as a blimp.

After that I stopped eating butter and exercised. I got to look like meaty cub. Some people like me that way with firm bouncy touch.

However if you prefer the lean muscled look then it is better to start exercising from lean like Compulsivexhibitionist.

Butter,I like to emphasize,does not make you fat.

It's only when you combine it with carbs such as bread,rice,pasta and what not that you become huge.

Not in a good way.

Carbs are like poison to the system.

So the body concentrates on burning off the carbs while the rest of the nutrients such as the fat in butter gets stored in the fat cells for later.

Eat fat doesn't make you fat. Saturated fat anyway.

You better search on the Internet for creatine. If you can't lift, don't take creatine. (I read in an article that creatine is like healthy steroid.)

Like many have said above, eat. :D

If you really want, take weight gainer. (Personally I don't take gainers. It sounds like calorie injection to me.)

Creatine's totally natural. It's present in lots of food you eat. It just increases the amount of ATP in your system.

In laymans terms I would describe creatine as a supplement for energy purposes. And in some cases it makes your muscles fuller as it draws more water into your muscles. At the same timr this can cause some bloating. Puffiness in your face etc is not uncommon. However everyone responds different to creatine. Some people do even experience any effects.

Just try it out. Take some creatine mono and mix it with juice.

Remember creatine mono is all you need. All that celltech bullshit is nonsens .

Only celltech worth taking is 'Dat dere celltech'. Bb.Com users will understand

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hardworker

Wah, same build as me! i started doing push ups around 4 weeks ago, arms do get bigger! just keep doing pushing on while doing push ups, do until your hands can't hold chopsticks anymore. My training regime is that i do as many push ups and lunges as many as i can. Then i will rest on the next day, and the day after that, i will do the same thing.

But i realise that i still need to get rid of that annoying blabbering fats on my belly and arms that i have been piling up since i was a kid (cuz i was stuffed with so much food by my parents). Hahaha. Now, i am trying to include running after the day of my push-ups/lunges regime and sit ups in my push ups regime. Cardio is the best way to get rid of excess fats! And one thing is, you must do this regime at least 21 times before you make it into your habit! Proven trustory bro!

Now my arms are bigger (Take photo of ur before and after result). Know why you want to look fit (for me, i want to attract guys/girls and look good)! have a model body that you achieve. Take note of your improvement daily. You will be amazed by how much you improve and how much you can actually achieve. Now i have a long list of my push ups/lunges and i smile to myself like a senile man whenever i see the list. It keeps me motivated.

you will feel really hungry after that, but try to stuff yourself with proteins from eggs and meats, i dislike protein shake cuz it makes me fart non-stop.

Good luck! you need at least 3 months of keeping up with these exercises. Watch your diet too! Healthy eating is never a choice, it's a must! (but feel free to cheat once a week, Dan Ariely, famous behavioural economist, said that you need to cheat in the middle of a disciplined regime so that you can keep up with your exercise regime). Change all ur sodas, alcohol and juices to WATER! Drinking water, if done continuously will help you to burn 3kg of fats per year!\

Sry for the long post. Start simple :) good luck!

Lower ABS fat can be burned doing rotational exercise and cardio

There's no need for you to lose fat before building muscle, you're not that heavy, just work on the strength training like lift and squats .and compound muscle exercises

Fattie bom bom walk down the street

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mozzie

Take Creatine Monohydrate and cycle it, meaning, take ¬3-4 doses every day for the next 1 - 2 weeks, then reduce this to normal dose for the next 4-8 weeks, then rest 1 week before repeating this.

Creatine doesn't cause you to gain mass directly. What is does is it aids in ATP recovery (everytime we weight train, the prospherous in the ATP chain is used up to create the push needed to lift. Creatine replaces that prospherous atom as well as draw water into muscles) and hence allows you to lift heavier than what you normally can had you not be on creatine. Since lifting heavy gives you greater muscle tears, it also allows you greater muscle gain if you couple this with a proper diet.

Taking more red meats will also allow you to produce creatine naturally by your body.

Hope this information helps you. :)

I'm thinking of taking creatine to gain muscle mass.. can anybody enlighten me on how to go about doing so as a beginner?.. I nid help desperately, thks!!

Creatine is awesome! I'll advise u to get it. Just a standard micronized creatine mono will do. The purest form is creapure, a german patented one. most supplement companies used that anw. The gist of why creatine works is in the reply above but imo there's no need to load. The whole point is to reach saturation point. U don't have to load for the first 1/2 weeks. Just 5g per day is sufficient for your muscles to be saturated in a month. By loading, are u certain your body will absorb all of it? At the end of the day, loading/not loading will produce the same results. As for cycling, the reason ppl cycle is of fear that their body will stop producing their own creatine(same theory as anabolic roids) but it hasn't been proven. But what I'll do is normally go on creatine for 8 to 12 weeks, lift heavy, and then maybe go off it for a few weeks. Just try it out and see what works best for your body and your development.

Guest Mozzie

In my opinion, any brand will be fine so long as it's good ol' creatine monohydrate.

And yes, if you don't lift heavier, IN PROPER FORM, you won't see any effects. After all, the effect of creatine IS to increase your energy level so why would you want to life 2KG weights for 500 reps? Leave that to the girls. Do what the rest of the men do.. LIFT! :D

sounds good, is the brand goldpro good?

i read that muscles do build after taking creatine... I do gym regularly, thrice a week, but u mean if i don't lift heavier i won't c any effect at all?

thanks guys i really need help on this cos i got nobody to turn to =D

I gym every Monday, Wednesday n Friday... light work out on Tuesday, Thursday n Saturday, rest on sunday... so I've to take creatine everyday? At which point of the day do u suggest?

Thanks! =D

In my opinion, any brand will be fine so long as it's good ol' creatine monohydrate.

And yes, if you don't lift heavier, IN PROPER FORM, you won't see any effects. After all, the effect of creatine IS to increase your energy level so why would you want to life 2KG weights for 500 reps? Leave that to the girls. Do what the rest of the men do.. LIFT! :D

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.