Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

Thanks for ur reply...i do gym 2 to 3 times a week...n i take GNC weight gainer also...take abt 2 year liao...but no result leh...maybe i m more to slim type,no matter how i try also cannot gain weight ...maybe i should consider give up liao...

hmmmm gym more on muscle building or cardio workout? theres a diff depends on wad u do...sometimes its depends on ur metabolism rate...

Guest guest

i used to be 1.7 55kg. my ord ffi stated that.

3 years later i became 70kg.

i went to gym and became 84kg lifting and eating.

now i reduced it to 80kg.

just gym and eat, no supplements.

i do cardio at times- swimming and jogging.

Guest alien

I think as a person grows old, their metabolism slows down. When I was younger I couldn't gain weight, but then I never really tried very hard. I simply hate running or any form of rigorous exercise. My fittest period was when I was in the army and during that time I was maybe heaviest at 56kg. My job and laziness resulted in me losing more weight (stress!!!). And so it was only last year June that I started to notice that I'm putting on weight again. Now I work out everyday to keep the tummy away. 200 reps push up, 300 reps dumb bell, 40 reps sit up....everyday without fail. I used to despise working up a sweat, now I'm addicted to it. If I go one day without working out, I feel funny. Now my weight has steadied, it's getting very hard to put on more weight after I hit 65kg. It took me more than 3 months just to put on one extra kg. I still eat 3 square meals a day plus in between snacks when I'm hungry or have the craving.

How old a person shld be then he will gain weight? I saw some pple even they are in their 40s or 50s, they still look thin.

How old a person shld be then he will gain weight? I saw some pple even they are in their 40s or 50s, they still look thin.

Well mine began last year June while I was still a young sweet 37 :) hehe....so maybe it's already beginning to start for me.

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Guest alien

37 still young lah. Hahaha. I always heard pple said, if u are skinny and cannot gain weight, better go and get married and after married the person will grow fat.

Guest skinny

i cant seem to buff up leh

dunno whether my metabolism rate too high or what..

i eat almost 5 meals a day, sometimes more than my muscular frens.

but i still 1.7m 50kg..

Guest guest

i cant seem to buff up leh

dunno whether my metabolism rate too high or what..

i eat almost 5 meals a day, sometimes more than my muscular frens.

but i still 1.7m 50kg..

omg. i same height as you but 30kg heavier. :oops:

Guest Heavy duty

To grow big might be easier than to trim down and become chiseled. There are surefire ways to bulk up, no rocket science.

1. Eat like a king. Suppers and bedtime protein shakes or weight gainers are mandatory.

2. Lift like a industrial crane. Forget about counting reps, just do heavy sets and it doesn't matter if you could not lift past three reps. And focus on big muscle groups like thighs, chest and shoulders/back.

3. Sleep like a baby. Bedtime is when muscle repairs and rebuilds, therefore it's super crucial that u give yourself at least 8 hours of zzzzzzzz

Guest Guest

To grow big might be easier than to trim down and become chiseled. There are surefire ways to bulk up, no rocket science.

1. Eat like a king. Suppers and bedtime protein shakes or weight gainers are mandatory.

2. Lift like a industrial crane. Forget about counting reps, just do heavy sets and it doesn't matter if you could not lift past three reps. And focus on big muscle groups like thighs, chest and shoulders/back.

3. Sleep like a baby. Bedtime is when muscle repairs and rebuilds, therefore it's super crucial that u give yourself at least 8 hours of zzzzzzzz

anybody can guide me or train me ?i stay jwext,40 170 54 chn...pls...

• 2 months later...

I recently noticed that some guys have fabulous bods after 1yr or so of training. I found out that they took steroid.

Always wondered how to get steroids? Do you know? Is it orally taken or by injections?

Edited by Avecinfuser

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

i started workout more intensely last month, with the help of a personal trainer. Told him i wanted to bulk up chest and arms, but mixing with back, abs and legs. I hv been going to the gym 3 times a week, of which 2 sessions with the trainer, have seen some results, definition is starting to form and i do the see the muscles taking shape too.

The weights i carry will increase as i move along, this is the only way to build muscles, i was told.

i take myoplex protein shake powder, mixing it with full cream milk, within 30 mins to 1 hour of my work out.

my PT also told me it will be harder to bulk up once one reaches 40 years old. can someone enlighten on this? I am already 38. the profile pic was taken in June, after 6 sessions.

I've always been skinny from young. Am 170cm, when I was in my teens, I was only 48kg! In February this year I weighed around 55 to 56kg. I downloaded a workout programme from online based on achieving the 'golden ratio' of 1.618 in you body.

The basic foundation workout is supposed to be 5 sessions a week for 12 weeks. I followed it at a lower frequency of 4 sessions a week. I forced myself to eat more throughout the day, and from the 3rd week on I was also taking creatine. After 12 weeks, I reached 60kg and took a break from the routine. I've now resumed and am aiming to hit 65kg in the next cycle, but I know it will be harder than before.

So I believe the key is really just discipline. And maybe age does help for skinny guys with high metabolism. LOL :P

• 1 month later...
Guest Boiboi

As the title, not trying to become arnold schwarzenegger, more towards Daniel Henny or rain kind?

Have been hitting the gym three times weekly.

Run 3 times weekly.

Taking whey protein but still not much effect.

Can show me a workout plan?

Thanks.

the previous post (not by me) is not meant to be insulting. but really, dun be lazy, google and you can find tons of info yourself. if you are waiting to get spoonfed, you will not get muscular.

Guest train hard

discipline, determination and let working out in the gym be part of your normal life.

to build up a muscular body does not happen overnight, so be patient and train hard.

it is a long term investment for good health, body and soul. no quick fix.

Guest Ironrod

How long of practice in the gym before can get lean-fit shape? One year? Two years ?

First 3 mths you will see results if u do 2 hrs daily with different body parts [and abs every session and 1 day focus on abs]

The problem with most ppl I see in gym is they don't really train very hard and some even don't really know what to focus in gymming.

Best is do some research on the net, read and plan a schedule for yourself [u can save money with the need of a trainer].

I feel trainers are meant for stars whom needs a hot body for big screen and don't feel shy asking for help in gym.

I come from the era where there is no trainers, ppl just help each other out in gym.

If you are trying out new weights and fear it's too heavy for you, u should ask somebody to spot you.

Be proactive, and stay focus - gymming is not so u can look hot in saunas.

It's all about self-disciple, focus and determination.

Guest gym newbie

Hi ironrod,

Thanks for your adv.

So far, none of my friends going to gym..

And I'm too shy to ask anyone in the gym to help my work out..

Any idea how to find a gym buddy?

• 4 weeks later...

get yourself some weight first before going to gym, 70kg seems a bit light.

You could start from double dinner, or fast food (or buffet), I know this is unhealthy, but it gain weight very fast. If you are young, shall be no problem, haha~ :oops: misleading...

Then, workout just a little bit, just to maintain healthy condition, and let the food you consumed converted to protein or fat and stored in body. Heavy workout does not give you good result if you do not take enough input.

What I suggest is to gain your nutrition from normal diet first, unless no matter how you eat, the food just cannot be absorbed by your body. then you can consider to have supplement.

There is a weight gain powder and protein powder in the market. Try it out whichever fit you. (I am only consuming normal milk powder as I can get my weight easily from normal diet.. I eat a lot usually :oops: )

when you reach 75kg, then you can go gym more frequently, like 3-4times per week. Continue to pump your weight like how you get from 70kg to 75kg.

maintain yourself at around 75kg to 78kg as your height is just 167cm, it shall be presentable and fit looking body in this weight and height. Then you can stop to have double dinner/ fast food, and just maintain your workout will do.

It is a long long journey to go when you choose to be a muscle hunk, especially to maintain your well built body, there is a time and effort need to be paid.

Gambateh!

. (I am only consuming normal milk powder as I can get my weight easily from normal diet.. I eat a lot usually :oops: ) when you reach 75kg, then you can go gym more frequently, like 3-4times per week. Continue to pump your weight like how you get from 70kg to 75kg. maintain yourself at around 75kg to 78kg as your height is just 167cm, it shall be presentable and fit looking body in this weight and height. Then you can stop to have double dinner/ fast food, and just maintain your workout will do. It is a long long journey to go when you choose to be a muscle hunk, especially to maintain your well built body, there is a time and effort need to be paid. Gambateh!

Oh my goodness! :o

Your advice goes contrary to conventional BB experience. For starters, bulking up and cycling the bulk and cut periods should only be done with proper nutrition and not with fast food or double dinners. (And most non-professional BBers don't need to do this anyway)

Secondly, once you put excess food into the body and the body cannot contain it in the existing fat cells, the body will signal for new fat cells to be produced. Fat cells which are produced will NEVER disappear! They may shrink, but not be completely gone (unless you wanna undergo liposuction to remove them). As much as possible, NEVER signal your body to produce any fat cells, else getting rid of them as we grow older will be progressively difficult (think slow metabolism, work commitments, lack of exercise etc)

Thirdly, your suggested BMI for the 167cm guy is ¬ 26. This is way too high for an amature BBer (I'm presuming he doesn't have aspirations for Mr Olympia competitions, but I stand to be corrected). a BMI of 23 would more than suffice. Darren Lim (for those who know who he is) is ¬23 - 24 and it's hard to argue that he looks nice for his height right?

Do give reasonable advice. Some ideas can be detrimental if not properly researched.

Grandcharm, I am even less in weight than you!

My body shape a bit weird, my upper body is skinny, while my thighs and legs are normal.

I would be hitting the gym soon, but this time I wanna first wanna enjoy the sessions rather than make it 'compulsory' like before, which became intense and stressful to me.

I would be concentrating mostly on upper body to build up the arms and chest and back, and a little on cardio and legs. But I don't think I can vary the routine much in this case rite since I can only use the machines (I think the free weights are too much for my arms)

This time I shall eat intelligently too.

The advice I got was that prior 1 hr and after 1 hr of workout I should take something light, eg a bun, banana to provide energy yes?

Any advice from the bodybuilders here? Thanks!

Is there a weight gaining thread haha, i dun really excersize except before bed, but i seem to be losing weight, now like around 53kg n height 172. If u want to lose weight i believe u should have zero carbo n fat intake, eat only meat and vege, salad without sauce pls, not even mayo. Eat meat, fish, tofu n vege, no rice, potatoes, try not to have cereal or cornflakes too.

• 1 month later...

I'm 19 years old, slim, 57kg. I've never been insecure about my weight or appearance before, in fact I've been wholly comfortable with it until I started feeling as though I needed to beef up a bit.

Not insinuating that I want to be some macho bodybuilder, but I need to gain a few kgs, and I don't know where to start. I'm currently trying to have a much healthier diet comprising wholemeal, fruits and veggies etc etc, but can't really get used to dumping my fast food and ice cream!

Apart from that, what is the best way to exercise and build muscle especially the chest, arms and abs? I jog often and swim occasionally, so which muscle group do I train when I jog/swim?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Really appreciate your help. :)

I'm 19 years old, slim, 57kg. I've never been insecure about my weight or appearance before, in fact I've been wholly comfortable with it until I started feeling as though I needed to beef up a bit.

Not insinuating that I want to be some macho bodybuilder, but I need to gain a few kgs, and I don't know where to start. I'm currently trying to have a much healthier diet comprising wholemeal, fruits and veggies etc etc, but can't really get used to dumping my fast food and ice cream!

Apart from that, what is the best way to exercise and build muscle especially the chest, arms and abs? I jog often and swim occasionally, so which muscle group do I train when I jog/swim?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Really appreciate your help. :)

There will b endless debate over bodybuilding. I disagree with justanotherme. Just like he disagreed with orca888.

Everything is depending on the individual. Wat might be right for this person might not work for others.

In this case, the TS is consider on the slim side and his fitness objective is building muscles. When he says to gain weight, I guess he means building muscles right?

So lesser reps of heavier weights should be recommend. In my gym, I noticed those ppl in his age group tends to be students or NSmen, so not many are willing to spend on protein powder due to the high cost so even if they pound for hours at the gym, results might not be really noticeable.

One might argue that we can get these proteins from natural food but how much is enough?

Just off hand, my post workout meal cost me around $6 consisting of 2 vege and 3 meat, no carbs. Of course if can have my own boiled chicken breast and vege even better - if I got the time.

When he can really see his muscles growing, then maybe time to consider some cardio to make these muscles more definite and visible.

Just my two cents worth.

for a start, we face these problems when we are in the gym:

1) we get low-morale when people stare at us carrying weights. it's as if we're too weak.

2) we don't know the proper routines and techniques when doing weights.

3) we don't really have gym buddies or anyone who can guide us other than the Fitness Trainers who will cost us a bomb.

4) we don't know how much we should eat after a gym workout.

Basically, we know nuts about gymming. Reason being, when we ask our friends who gym regularly about what we should do, we don't get consistent answers.

It will be great if there are kind souls out there who are willing to transform us from zeroes to heroes. but i don't think anyone here is willing to due to personal reasons. it would be a dream come true if there was a reality program which is the total opposite of the biggest loser.

In the past, i don't eat that much because i have little cravings. And i also have to take longer to finish up a bottle of weight gainer (as in the water bottle).

i have found a pill which, thankfully, has no side-effects that can increase anyone's appetite and make u eat like a pig. u can really see results within 2 weeks.

when the pill has opened up your appetite, you'll have lots of cravings and you'll definitely eat more. i can swear on that. pm me for more details.

TS

This is my recommendation:

1) Set the target weight you want.

2) Determine the calories to take: http://www.menshealth.com.sg/weight-loss-nutrition/lose-last-5kg-fat-%E2%80%94-5-steps . Even it is meant for weight loss, the theory behind is the same if you want weight. Unless you have certain med condition, then generally you should put on weight.

3) Go thru the foods you have and where possible, find out something where you can calculate the calories/protein/fats/carb intake. You can go to HPB website to check the info on some hawker foods. Mac and Subway also have the nutrition fact in their websites.

4) As for weight training, if you don't want to start at the gym, do body weight exercise like push up, pull up, etc. if still not sure, go to http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html and look for template on the right side below Weight Training. From the template, choose the one you want, look for the body part and find those exercise under "Body Weight".

Try to keep a log of the food and exercise you did. They will help you a long way.

I'll just share my experience since we seem to have similar body types :)

I'm 22 now, but back when i was 19 in NS - i was super skinny and tried getting fit with pushups and pull ups etc etc - i ate high protein food such as eggs and meat but saw minimal results

I decided instead to hit the gym 3 times a week and try out protein powder - in 2 months i saw major changes

I think protein powder is a must if u are trying to get bulkier

for a start, we face these problems when we are in the gym:

1) we get low-morale when people stare at us carrying weights. it's as if we're too weak.

3) we don't really have gym buddies or anyone who can guide us other than the Fitness Trainers who will cost us a bomb.

Basically, we know nuts about gymming. Reason being, when we ask our friends who gym regularly about what we should do, we don't get consistent answers. It will be great if there are kind souls out there who are willing to transform us from zeroes to heroes. but i don't think anyone here is willing to due to personal reasons. it would be a dream come true if there was a reality program which is the total opposite of the biggest loser.

In the past, i don't eat that much because i have little cravings. And i also have to take longer to finish up a bottle of weight gainer (as in the water bottle). i have found a pill which, thankfully, has no side-effects that can increase anyone's appetite and make u eat like a pig. u can really see results within 2 weeks. when the pill has opened up your appetite, you'll have lots of cravings and you'll definitely eat more. i can swear on that. pm me for more details.

Haha, first u must be brave enough to admit that you are weak-at least at the moment. But if u will to stay that way and just indulge in self pity, 5 years down the road, u are still the same - weakling. Just ask any hunks over day, how did they start, everyone started off like you. Imagine a 54yo uncle like me with a tummy starting off in a gym 6 months ago, can u be worst off then me? Most of the people there are fit, hunky and off course gorgeous and uncle there feel so small and many people must be thinking why this guy, older than my father, is doing here. But I can tell u, 80% of the time, the low morale comes from within, rather than external.

If you can afford it, go for a PT, but I personally find it a waste of time. Heard of one 30plus guy who paid a PT $2000 plus just to help him pass IPPT.

Nowadays, you youngster are so lucky to have gym facilities so affordable. When I was your age, we are only accessible to private clubs - if we can afford it. Not sure of what to do, you can always google and you tube and you are spoilt for choice with so many instructional videos available.

This is my favorite sifu http://www.scotthermanfitness.com/. Look at the way he work out bare body.

Dun have a gym buddy? why dun u get one there? All you need is to open your mouth. Give u an excuse to talk to someone u like there too. Haha, instead of the good old technique asking him for the time, ask him about the exercise he just did and which body part is it for. He will be more the happy to teach you.

When I join the gym, the trainers there just dun be bother and are more interested in finding customers for PT. I dun even know how to use the equipment there. Just ask the guy who just finish using it and he will be more happy to teach you. On top of them, you just got yourself a new friend right? After six months, I know most of the people there in this way.

If the is any so called "strange looks" or low moral, it will be gone eventually when u know the people there and start trying. As for me, ppl start to respect this uncle there will they see everyday and train for 3 hours while most of them lasted 60-90 mins max. You will start to feel first, then see your muscles growing and so, others can see that too. All these won't happen if u still at the corner hiding because of moral issue.

You will get lots of training ideal from different people and from the net, just learn to choose those that is more suitable for you.

My current workout is Mon, Wed & Fri - Chest, Back and Leg, Tues Thu Sat - Tricep, Biceps, Shoulders and abs

I do at least 40 mins interval training on the treadmill everyday without fail, just for my tummy.

Results: Nowadays, got more demand at TMC. Love the feel when people like to touch and feel your muscles all over in the dayroom.

Still see nice cute boys in the gym now but inside my heart, I can say "uncle got better arms than u, hahaha"

There again, lots of reading materials online, just google.

From what I know, best to eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big meal, easy for body to digest.

Lots of protein food and supplement and no carbs for me after 6pm. I stop eating rice, noodle for carbs and change to sweet potato and banana and raw sugar for my coffee.

and most important, lots of fruits and vege to balance out yr PH as all those proteins is going to make u real heaty. Lots of water of course.

Anyway, to sum it all up, it feels great to be fit. Now I can run fast on the treadmill and my heart rate can go up to 180 but goes down to normal within mins while the chart there shows people my age should not go beyond 140.

Sorry, I still no hunk or muscular yet, but the feeling is still good la, compared to six months ago.

Edited by junxiang

• 3 weeks later...
Guest needadvice

To all sport/workout enthusiasts out there!

I need help with the following, I appreciate your advice!

1. I wanna be able to do more pull-ups, do I train my biceps? How do I train?

2. How can I make my shoulders broader?

3. How can I train my chest so it's broader?

4. What can I do other than sit-ups to train pecs?

5. What can I do to be able to jump further? (I do long jump)

6. Any effective home exercises to recommend?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCEEEEE :)

1. Do one pull-up throughout the day at different times/Do more pull-ups at a certain workout (overhand grip).

You can also add in lat pulldowns,barbell and dumbbell rows for help. But nothing helps the real thing like the real thing.

Biceps do help in my pull-ups amazingly! I thought it would be more of a lats thing but nah.

Chin-ups (underhand grip) and bicep curls. You can't get simpler than that.

2. Your shoulders are inclusive of your delts (think of the top portion of your arm) and your traps (the two mountains that stretch from your neck). Doing more overhead pressing,e.t.c. for your shoulders and increase your chest and back size to get broader shoulders.

3. Dumbbell bench press,wide grip bench press,dips,pushups,guillotine press (sue me I certainly do it).

4. Cable crunches/Leg raises/Squats/Deadlifts (Awww you wanted isolation? Grow balls please)

5. Back squats/Front Squats/Run and jump more

6. Not that I can think of.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I need advice on gym stuff . My weight is currently close to 60. And I aim to look lean toned . Any recommendations on product (include the brand) ? (protein shake , etc) . Thanks !

hello everybody here.

i am currently 64kg and 172cm tall. i am ok with my size but my face seemed to be to a little chubby and my body is NOT defined at all which makes me kinda lose a lot of confidence. maybe it is because i was really gigantic when i was younger til the magic of puberty slimmed me down a little. but i am still no happy with my body at all.

haha so i am kinda seeking a sports/gym buddy who is experienced and can guide me to building a better body and stuff. i hope to do so before i enter university next year! haha

thanks and cheers!

• 3 months later...

I have been repeating the same upper body gym routine:

Bench Press

Chest Press w/ dumbell

Shoulder Press w/dumbell

Bicep curls

Tricep w/ machine

Abs routine

Dips

Row

Takes me around 1 hour 30 minutes.

I didn't really research anything. Simply put together a set of exercises and following it since.

Any more effective gym routine suggestions?

• 1 month later...

i've been taking whey protein powder for the past more than 6 months but this time round i decide to change to mass gainer powder. it's the 3rd day and i realise i'll have stomach upset after about 1 hour of taking it.

i take 1/2 serving twice a day which makes up 1 serving daily, as recommended by the product itself.

is it normal to have stomach upset for those of u taking mass gainer? does your body adapt and overcome the stomach upset problem as time goes by? or should i reduce the dosage further by breaking down the serving into 1/3 or 1/4 serving daily?

i dont think i'm lactose intolerant anyway...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.