Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

OK, I'll start the ball rolling .... on inspirational photos to help you workout. The ones I find most interesting are those who are not in the limelight ie on the cover of some muscle mag, but regular guys who just like working out.

I want to have his babies!!!

1. How often do you workout? 1-3x a week

2. On the average how long per session do you spend with your workout? 1hr

3. Do you do a short warm up cardio session (10-20mins) before you start lifting or you just go for the weights! no

4. Do you warm down with cardio again after your workout? sometimes, swimming

5. How many meals to you eat a day and what is your typical diet? 3-4 meals. i eat what i like

6. Do you take supplements and if you do, which ones? no

7. If a person was 1.70m tall, what do you think his ideal weight be around? min 70kg

8. Which local or foreign bodybuilder do you admire? none

9. When did you start lifting seriously (regularly)? 2009

10. Are you lifting because it gets you more bedtime partners? no

Edited by bwbw

Guest Guest

I want to have his babies!!!

This is the reason why 90% of gays and bi are bottoms :lol:

Come to think about it, when I open my legs wide in bed I am saying the same thing in action- impregnate me.

b4b, if only built men are allowed to breed, we're probably still living in caves waiting for the wheel to be invented. ;-)

All men around the world should be built like that. If only our ancestors practiced selective breeding .... I hope someone encourages these dudes to breed like rabbits!

Guest caliguy

me late 40s,height 175 cm 95kg

waist 33

love training,into bodybuilding but trying to do it naturally

into thick and solid kind of body type.muscular bear.

just a personnal opinion,but really think that being gymfit and very cut is very very over-rated.those strutting muscle skinny boys actually are such a turn off,esp when they open their mouths and camp it up.

okay that should stir up some sh*t.

keep pumping.

Guest caliguy

just one more thing,as this thread is for bodybuilders,

guys please please train your legs.toothpick legs under a muscular top is really a huge no no,very ugly.

solid legs really a fantastic turn on.

just my 2 cents worth.:)

really keep pumping

haha.. i just realised that i didn't answer the questions..

1. How often do you workout? 4-5 times a week now.. cos gym is so close to school!

2. On the average how long per session do you spend with your workout? 1 hour

3. Do you do a short warm up cardio session (10-20mins) before you start lifting or you just go for the weights? My short is like 5 mins.. haha.. unless someone else runs with me then its 20mins. =D

4. Do you warm down with cardio again after your workout? with rower machine if i do back... but not really..

5. How many meals to you eat a day and what is your typical diet? about 3 meals.. trying a alternating carbs diet but only moderately successful so far..

6. Do you take supplements and if you do, which ones? no

7. If a person was 1.70m tall, what do you think his ideal weight be around? with muscles, 80! haha..

8. Which local or foreign bodybuilder do you admire? Can't think of any now..

9. When did you start lifting seriously (regularly)? this year.. but did lift regularly 4 years back for 2 years then stopped...

10. Are you lifting because it gets you more bedtime partners? no

guys please please train your legs.toothpick legs under a muscular top is really a huge no no,very ugly.

really keep pumping

i totally agree with Caliguy.. there's this trainer i see at my gym... great arms and upper body.. but legs are :blink:

Cali,

I agree with you, sexy muscular legs looks good in bikini briefs.

However guys who are born small framed but train their bodies big sometimes end up with unproportionally small heads.

That itself is a turn-off. And there's nothing they can do except probably get an afro.

really keep pumping

Guest caliguy

hey fattchoy,agree about the small frame and head thing.everything is about proportion and balance.

just another thought.

when i look around in the gym,i see skinny guys training to put on mass,but not good results as they are ectomorphic,very cut but no size.

on the other hand i see some chubby guys who have tons of potential,as they have the size and frame,but totally lazy and unfocus in their training,sometimes giving the excuse of wanting to stay chub or g-men type.what a waste.if you look carefully you will realise that the chubs actually are pretty good looking guys,and they could really be solid looking bodybuilders if they really give it a go.

hopefully more chubby guys will give bodybuilding a solid try.:)

b4b, if only built men are allowed to breed, we're probably still living in caves waiting for the wheel to be invented. ;-)

That stereotyping is so 60's, these days many bodybuilders have PhDs and other professional accreditation under their belt. I personally know 2 people like that. And one on his way to a double major in environmental science and micro-economics. So nope, have to disagree with you here, sorry :)

Edited by beef4beef

"Life it too short to be small"

Guest CreatinePower

Part 1

For many reasons, I do not like big franchise gyms. The interiors are too polished, equipment overly-sanitised, even the towels unmistakably smell like a Laundromat. Not to mention that most of the people behave like they are in a watched-and-be-watched café.

When I was stationed at Tsuen Wan, a sleepy port town in New Territories, Hong Kong, some years back, I stumbled upon a gym in the basement of a crumbly warehouse complex called 大平民健身房, or Man-on-the-Street (MOTS) Gym.

I was told that the gym was started by blue-collar port workers in the 80s, who excavated the ground beneath the warehouse to establish rent-free space to set up a gym. Fact or fable, I don’t know, but the membership fee till today is still voluntary and unspecified. There is a tin box at the counter of the gym, and members are free to drop in their donations, that seemingly will be used to maintain the gym.

Even in this day and age, where franchise gyms monopolise the industry, and where working out becomes more of a fashion statement than an old-fashion masculine obsession, MOTS still pack a roomful of thick-limbed port labourers reeking of pervasive sweat stench and boorish masculinity.

When I first set sight on the gym, it was love at first sight. After having seriously dabbled in weights training for more than a decade, I seem to have struck gold with no-frills gym.

When I first started to play with weights, it was out of sheer curiosity and vanity. In those days, the principle of weights training was: big biceps = great attraction. I was obsessed about training the visible muscle groups: biceps, shoulders and chest.

Over a period of repeated discernible gains, training plateaus, disillusionment, enlightenment and new found zeal – although not always in that order – my life starts revolving around bodybuilding, not it being a part of my life. It becomes an obsession, no longer simply a pastime. I also discover the seemingly boundless strength of my body (how I can life x times my bodyweight). More importantly, I started doing it for myself, and not so much to impress others.

My newly-gained wisdom on bodybuilding sits well with my first sight on this well weathered gym. It makes me go back to the basics of bodybuilding: weights and will. It is not about the shiny chrome surfaces of the weights machine; the ergonomics of the dumbbell design; the fanciful, the dri-fit gym togs; the photoshop-perfect giant billboards that flank the gym entrance ………… none of these matter anymore actually!

I want to approach the sport focusing on good old fundamentals: the positive rep, the negative rep, the coordination of breathing, the final rep beyond the sticking point ………….

The gym makes me feel like I have come home.

Most of what you said is so true ... and I share your sentiment. And thanks for sharing that interesting HK experience.

But I am very thankful for 'overly-sanitised gyms' ... often the body odor of some ethnicities can be quite unbreathable (nauseous really!) ... hate to appear racist but too many personal experiences have had me come to agree with these stereotypical generalizations.

No matter how hard I try to ignore it, it does ultimately affect my workout momentum and I end up being frustrated not being to complete my workout plan.

Part 1

For many reasons, I do not like big franchise gyms. The interiors are too polished, equipment overly-sanitised, even the towels unmistakably smell like a Laundromat. Not to mention that most of the people behave like they are in a watched-and-be-watched café.

/

/

The gym makes me feel like I have come home.

Edited by GachiMuchi

Im getting more beefy and meaty now after pushing myself hard during gym. But the only down side is that i can no longer run as fast and easily as before. When it comes to ippt training i often stop my protein intake to reduce weight which i hate. Running also eat up muscle. Is there a way to achieve the best of both worlds? Able to have endurance without losing mass. Thanks

Im getting more beefy and meaty now after pushing myself hard during gym. But the only down side is that i can no longer run as fast and easily as before. When it comes to ippt training i often stop my protein intake to reduce weight which i hate. Running also eat up muscle. Is there a way to achieve the best of both worlds? Able to have endurance without losing mass. Thanks

i doubt so.. haha..

That's a tough balance. What I've been told is that if you find that your endurance is starting to get affected in a significant way, that is a sign that you are putting on weight (not necessarily muscle) faster than your heart is able to support that extra burden. The healthiest way to gain weight and still have your cardiovascular in check is to make slow and steady weight (muscle) gains while still keeping a balanced cardio fitness routine, such as jogging or better still swimming.

Try this out, make it a point to start doing 10 laps in the pool a week, increasing it to 20 laps over the course of the next 6 weeks and then keeping that 20 laps but going twice a week. Maintain your regular gym workout. After about 12 weeks you will see a noticeable improvement. The added benefits are better flexibility, improved general health, and looks wise your muscles will be sculptured better. You have to be patient and regimented.

This recommendation will NOT work for people who are skinny and are trying to gain mass. They will have to first gain mass to some degree BEFORE taking on something like this.

There are of course the exceptions, guys who are just blessed with both and they do not have to do too much to get results. I know a few people like that. Life is very unfair.

Do please keep us posted on your progress.

i got the same problem too. and i can't pass my ippt cos of 2.4

No offence if I have pointers to add. I am not going to elaborate the details. You figure it out yourself

The reasons you lost the muscle mass when you run are

because

1) You didn't develop right quality muscles

2) you didn't do legs squats

3) You didnt do legs squats with running and sprinting

Like many people in the gym, all they do is to lift weights without no or minimun cardio with this myth that cardio will strink the muscle

If you look into their muscle cells, they consist so much of water.They pump and pump, then drink protein and water..static training with no cardio

Quality muscle cells has real muscle fibre cells which is formed through shocking your primary/secondary muscles which is also known as the red/yellow muscles built for fast twitching movements. These comes from very high repetitions of weights and also cardio, which forces the heart to beat faster about a certain point [150p/m] which only then fat burning can take place - fats from the cells are released for energy production

Your cell quality is also formed by the type of protein you take in.Do your homework before you put anything in your mouth.

You can take 20 egg whites per day, provided you take in sufficient yogurt or good digestive bacteria to break down your protein intake

The highest quality whey protein is WPI - Whey protein Ion exchange. They should dissolve instantly in water, making a very 'smooth drink'

The lower grade cheaper protein doesnt mix well with water. Thus often they appear loamy and chalky. If they cant even dissolve well in water, they dont even pass through your disgestive system. Thiis is when inflatuence, bloatness indigestion with so much fart are forming forming internally, just waiting to explode like Mt Helena

Cardio consistently detoxes and cleanses the body system. In fact it is good for cell rejunvenation, including opening your facial pores to swear out all your facial dirt

When it detox through cardio, this simply means excess water/waste is cleared out of your body. You will definitely strink.

Then you start a programme to workout to build your muscles with proper nutients

Many people dont like leg squats because it is the most strenuous part of the body workout. People are basically lazy. They want minimum effort but maximum results for a die- to- for body

Legs compromises half your body

But when doing leg squats, you are working half your body, which means your working out a very major muscle group that will eventually burn fats. Prolonged leg workout means you can burn fats around the abs and maintain your waistline

When your legs are developed, they can hold your upper body which is also bulking up as you weight out.

That means your legs will not be strained by your heavier upper top thus will not indirectly strain your back.

To add on this debate, you dont find athleletes from track and field and the gynmastics skinny and srawny. Havent you relaized even with the amount of intense cardio they go through, they still retain their thick defined muscules

Even if you hit the gym 5x a wk, of 2 should be reserved for leg workout. However even when you are not doing leg days, just do 3 sets of simple light leg squats/exercise, which prepares circulation in the body for your exercise and forces your body to produces its adrenaline and slowly up your own testosterone production with zinc intake.

There are workouts posture/posture/style with works usually 3 muscle groups at the same time, usually min 2 the most. You have to continue experiencing new techniques and styles without endangering yourself or looking like a ridiculous clown

Regarding combining swimming with workout, you can do breast stroke on days you do your shoulders and upper back to develope your shoulder group muscles. Freestyle with upper chest, butterfly strokes with laps and back.

Happy workout

Edited by TheVisitors

No offense if I have pointers to add. I am not going to elaborate the details. You figure it out yourself

The reason you lost the muscle mass when you run are

because

/

/ etc..

wow... haha.. never thought of it tat way.. also might try beef4beef's swimming routine after my exams!

and for the record, i do squat.. just did! :rolleyes:

No offence if I have pointers to add. I am not going to elaborate the details. You figure it out yourself

The reasons you lost the muscle mass when you run are

/

/

There are workouts posture/posture/style with works usually 3 muscle groups at the same time, usually min 2 the most. You have to continue experiencing new techniques and styles without endangering yourself or looking like a ridiculous clown

Regarding combining swimming with workout, you can do breast stroke on days you do your shoulders and upper back to develope your shoulder group muscles. Freestyle with upper chest, butterfly strokes with laps and back.

Happy workout

Wow, you are so knowledgeable. Can you be my personal trainer? Hehe. I run close to daily. Then I do pull ups, push ups. I am also trying to do tiptoeing to build my calf muscles. Is there any way I can train to run faster without feeling out of breath? I am trying to experiment to develop that technique by controlling my breathing when I run fast. I tell myself not to breath so fast when I feel out of breath when running fast. I also hope to build a wider shoulder and bigger chest through wide arm pull ups and push ups, and once a week swimming breaststroke 10 laps. Any contributions?

Hi!

Need to ask something, when you all do squats, do you just do that workout for that day? Or do you mix it with something else??

The big-3 to grow big are:

Bench press

Squats

Dead lifts.

I wouldn't recommend doing more than 1 major body part in 1 single workout. Usually I would do it this way:

Benches

Triceps

Biceps

Cardio, abs.

Squats

Quads, all things legs.

Dead lifts

Upper back (various isolation exercises for different parts)

Delts (Anterior, middle, posterior)

Cardio, abs.

I'm pretty sure I ain't got everything right, but this is how I do it usually. I try not to run on days that I do leg exercises.

And also, just to share that, shoulder problems are very common among lifters. Please, watch your form over weight. Maintaining a right form can bring you more benefits than blindly stacking the weights.

And through the 2 years that I've worked out, I rotate btwn 3 different routines:

1. Pyramids

2. Hypertrophy sets

3. Heavy lifting

Pyramids were very helpful in helping me break my plateau. Then I would go back to doing hypertrophy sets. Then once I hit another plateau, I would go to heavy lifting now, then back to doing hypertrophy sets. Then swing back to pyramid, and the cycle repeats.

I'm not a hardcore gymmer, but I do what I can to take it as seriously as I can.

The big-3 to grow big are:

Bench press

Squats

Dead lifts.

I wouldn't recommend doing more than 1 major body part in 1 single workout. Usually I would do it this way:

Benches

Triceps

Biceps

Cardio, abs.

Squats

Quads, all things legs.

Hey thanks!

So if i were to do squats, should just concentrate that day for legs yeah?

Is below ok? Normally I rest for two days...

Back - Triceps

Chest - Biceps

Shoulders - Triceps

Legs - Biceps? (this would be new routine for me, as normally I will just do leg press on one of the days, most probably with chest, but i guess, i wanna grow more effectively, so i need squats!)

My thighs are thunderous.. lol, but i got small calves... hmmm

comment? :wacko:

Edited by CamperBoy

Hey thanks!

So if i were to do squats, should just concentrate that day for legs yeah?

Is below ok? Normally I rest for two days...

Back - Triceps

Chest - Biceps

Shoulders - Triceps

Legs - Biceps? (this would be new routine for me, as normally I will just do leg press on one of the days, most probably with chest, but i guess, i wanna grow more effectively, so i need squats!)

My thighs are thunderous.. lol, but i got small calves... hmmm

comment? :wacko:

Hmmm, for calves, tried standing calves raise? for me, my calves are ok. no need to train that part : p

Hi!

Need to ask something, when you all do squats, do you just do that workout for that day? Or do you mix it with something else??

On leg days, I don't do any other major lifting. If anything I'd cycle a bit to get a good warm down and leg stretching exercises.

I also highly recommend throwing in yoga at least once a week to help stretch, maintain flexibility and build on balance and posture. i do that in between my heavy lifting days and I find it helps a lot and it provides a different focus.

Love. 

Hmmm, for calves, tried standing calves raise? for me, my calves are ok. no need to train that part : p

Hmmm I havent tried that... maybe i should do it! dun understand why my thighs can be huge but calves so puny.. hahaha

Oh, deadlifts, what muscle groups does it work on? Can i do squats with deadlifts?

gentlemen!

i finally did squats after a looooong time! :thumb:

And now my thighs, is sooo strained! My legs are so wobbly when walking down the stairs :lol:

Is it normal??.. hahah :o

Yes, it is perfectly normal giving way walking down the stairs!

And getting up from the toilet bowl! Haha!

But it will groooooo............ow!

Yes, it is perfectly normal giving way walking down the stairs!

And getting up from the toilet bowl! Haha!

But it will groooooo............ow!

Yeah, its torturing! The toilet... omg.. dun mention the toilet!! <_< :twisted:

But yeah, its been a long time, so its kinda expected. but didnt know it will be this bad hahahha

Is once a week good enuff for squats?

Yeah, its torturing! The toilet... omg.. dun mention the toilet!! <_< :twisted:

But yeah, its been a long time, so its kinda expected. but didnt know it will be this bad hahahha

Is once a week good enuff for squats?

I used to do legs twice a week. But yeah once is enough if its an all leg workout day only.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gunny

hi,

which body parts are good to train together? is it advisable to do this:

day 1: chest, triceps

day 2: back, biceps

day 3: shoulders, legs

also, should i be doing 'chest-triceps-chest-triceps-chest-triceps' for my sets or 'chest-chest-chest-triceps-triceps-triceps'?

any advise would be appreciated. :B)

Hmm... Your workout sounds kinda relaxed to me. :)

This was my workout-structure when I was conditioning myself.

Day 1: Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Abs

Day 2: Break

Day 3: Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Abs

Day 4: Break

Day 5: Legs, Biceps, Triceps, Abs

Day 6: Break

Day 7: Run/Jog

But, if you are done with the conditioning, you can afford to work on all the muscle-groups in a single-workout. Of course, try not to push yourself too hard. :)

Love me for a Reason, Let the Reason be Love. (from 'Love Me For A Reason', Boyzone)

But, if you are done with the conditioning, you can afford to work on all the muscle-groups in a single-workout. Of course, try not to push yourself too hard. :)

lets workout together someday...

Guest gunny

No that's not my full training routine. :) just checking if it's okay to train these body parts together on the same day. Anyway i thought it's not advisable to train triceps and biceps together on the same day?

And let's say im going to train chest and triceps together, is it better to complete chest workouts first then move to triceps, or do 1 set of chest, then one set of triceps, then one set of chest again and one set of triceps and so on?

No that's not my full training routine. :) just checking if it's okay to train these body parts together on the same day. Anyway i thought it's not advisable to train triceps and biceps together on the same day?

And let's say im going to train chest and triceps together, is it better to complete chest workouts first then move to triceps, or do 1 set of chest, then one set of triceps, then one set of chest again and one set of triceps and so on?

Heya Gunny.

Well, it depends on the intensity, of course. My trainer used to push me using that routine I gave earlier. It hurt like hell, but the results did show. :)

If you are going to do circuit-training, make sure you don't do too much of it. Your workout can't be too long too, else you'd be too exhausted.

Personally, I would only do circuit-training when the gym is relatively empty or I need to push myself before a big event (marathon, IPPT etc). Else, I'd do my workouts body-part by body-part. :)

babyblue... I work out at Bugis lei... How come never see u before...

I haven't been going to Bugis as I don't want to pay ERP. Hahaha! I've been going to True Fitness Parkway more often. :)

Love me for a Reason, Let the Reason be Love. (from 'Love Me For A Reason', Boyzone)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.