Male HQ

Discussion on Muscle Building, Weight Lost, Weight Gain, Gym Workout

Guest Advice, pls

4 hours ago, JaO said:

So these past few days, i am steadily losing weight. However, i'm still eating normal and stuff, and still gymming almost everyday. The thing is, in the past, i never lost weight despite doing this so i am wondering why now lol. Im eating the same as before and doing the same as before.. I'm not sure if i'm losing muscle mass or fats. Anyone in the same boat/ or to give advice and experience?

if you jiak the same amount but increase expenditure then of course will lose weight

since u wanna grow and get strong and big in the gym then u jiak boh gao

8 hours ago, JaO said:

So these past few days, i am steadily losing weight. However, i'm still eating normal and stuff, and still gymming almost everyday. The thing is, in the past, i never lost weight despite doing this so i am wondering why now lol. Im eating the same as before and doing the same as before.. I'm not sure if i'm losing muscle mass or fats. Anyone in the same boat/ or to give advice and experience?

If your pants is getting loose around the waist, then it usually means losing fat. But if u are losing weight and the waist size is still the same, then I think u are losing muscle. 

On 4/2/2018 at 3:54 PM, tomcat said:

i guess when you are young, there are many motivating factors to pursue

this ideal magazine cover body.  and be excessive with health and exercise

but why go through so much trouble?

oh, i know. my younger cousin says, he build and publicise his abs

to show the effectiveness of his workout, as he is a trainer.

some other younger people, do it so they can post on IG.
some older people, just do it cos they are insecure about looking bad.
chuando says he does it because he likes looking like a lean chicken breast.

as long as you are not unhealthy,

body and face nice enough to pull some guys,

and can still eat actual food, instead of eating rabbit food.

good enough, everything in moderation. 
remember even when you reach peak shred, the maintenance is the one

that will kill you.

This is so true. 

Guest Hide It

I go to the gym four or sometimes five times a week, but last year the owners renovated and removed the sauna, thus ending my regular practice of spending 15 or 20 minutes in there after working out. This contributed, in my opinion, to my waist size going from 32 to 34 since I never changed any other habits. I am not obese, but my belly and love handles are noticeable when I wear tee-shirts now, so I have stopped eating real food after finishing at the gym with the exception, usually, of a small bag of almonds, cashews, or pistachios.

There was a brief week where my weight dropped from 78 to 76, and I was optimistic that I was just a few weeks from getting back to my ideal range between 70 and 72, but a week later those two kilograms came back with a vengeance. On top of this, I can't even work out as hard as usual to fuel further weight loss, as I am currently trying to heal from hamstring tendon and ilio-tibial band injuries. The whole situation is so frustrating. I already eat the bare minimum for breakfast and lunch so there isn't much room to cut any more calories.

Fat loss is always a very popular topic to discuss and many people constantly struggle with this. I'm sure you guys have heard of the phrase, "Abs are made in the kitchen"? This statement is absolutely spot on. Many guys try to lose fat by working out harder, going to the gym every day and still get frustrated. Don't get me wrong, exercise is very good for you and it does help you lose weight and build muscle. However, if you don't watch what you eat, you're not going to get the results you desire. And what you eat can also determine the body shape you will get. Means you can either get lean, muscular, beefy etc. I highly recommend you guys to read this book by Dr Jason Fung called The Obesity Code. So you can understand how our body works, and how we can get it to burn fat instead of storing fat. And all the info is based on scientific evidence and also his many years helping his patients lose weight and get them off their medications.

3 hours ago, Dr T said:

Fat loss is always a very popular topic to discuss and many people constantly struggle with this. I'm sure you guys have heard of the phrase, "Abs are made in the kitchen"? This statement is absolutely spot on. Many guys try to lose fat by working out harder, going to the gym every day and still get frustrated. Don't get me wrong, exercise is very good for you and it does help you lose weight and build muscle. However, if you don't watch what you eat, you're not going to get the results you desire. And what you eat can also determine the body shape you will get. Means you can either get lean, muscular, beefy etc. I highly recommend you guys to read this book by Dr Jason Fung called The Obesity Code. So you can understand how our body works, and how we can get it to burn fat instead of storing fat. And all the info is based on scientific evidence and also his many years helping his patients lose weight and get them off their medications.

Thanks Dr T. for recommending the book. Coincidentally, I saw this article today on CNA:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/health/meat-heavy-low-carb-diets-can-shorten-lifespan-study-10624504

How true is it? 

1 hour ago, Xiaoxianrou said:

Thanks Dr T. for recommending the book. Coincidentally, I saw this article today on CNA:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/health/meat-heavy-low-carb-diets-can-shorten-lifespan-study-10624504

How true is it? 

Oh yes I saw this. You're the second person to ask me this. This is only one study. I agree with low carbs but meat heavy can be risky as you might end up eating too much animal fat. I would suggest low card but moderate protein. The protein you can balance it between both animal and plant protein. This way you minimize your animal fat intake. You can also read up on intermittent fasting or keto diet. Both have been proven to be quite effective. Although I feel keto diet is more challenging.

17 hours ago, Guest Hide It said:

I go to the gym four or sometimes five times a week, but last year the owners renovated and removed the sauna, thus ending my regular practice of spending 15 or 20 minutes in there after working out. This contributed, in my opinion, to my waist size going from 32 to 34 since I never changed any other habits. I am not obese, but my belly and love handles are noticeable when I wear tee-shirts now, so I have stopped eating real food after finishing at the gym with the exception, usually, of a small bag of almonds, cashews, or pistachios.

There was a brief week where my weight dropped from 78 to 76, and I was optimistic that I was just a few weeks from getting back to my ideal range between 70 and 72, but a week later those two kilograms came back with a vengeance. On top of this, I can't even work out as hard as usual to fuel further weight loss, as I am currently trying to heal from hamstring tendon and ilio-tibial band injuries. The whole situation is so frustrating. I already eat the bare minimum for breakfast and lunch so there isn't much room to cut any more calories.

Good that the renovation forced you out of this negative habit of spending time submerged in a hot water tub.  The idea of "melting away" fat goes against the proper care of our skin, which is the largest organ in the body.  This becomes so noticeable later in life!

Dr T has given good advice about the importance of food intake in the control of body composition (not simply "weight").  It should be of extreme urgency to focus attention on the diet, follow the abundant information available, and make a SUSTAINED effort to change the diet to the healthiest possible, which is coincidentally the one that give our bodies their best shape. It does not seem fair, but weight gain and its extreme of obesity becomes increasingly difficult to reverse the longer one waits.   And especially in later years, proper body composition becomes one of the most important contributions to health and happiness.  Start early, and optimum eating habits will be a zero hardship throughout life.

13 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Good that the renovation forced you out of this negative habit of spending time submerged in a hot water tub.  The idea of "melting away" fat goes against the proper care of our skin, which is the largest organ in the body.  This becomes so noticeable later in life!

Dr T has given good advice about the importance of food intake in the control of body composition (not simply "weight").  It should be of extreme urgency to focus attention on the diet, follow the abundant information available, and make a SUSTAINED effort to change the diet to the healthiest possible, which is coincidentally the one that give our bodies their best shape. It does not seem fair, but weight gain and its extreme of obesity becomes increasingly difficult to reverse the longer one waits.   And especially in later years, proper body composition becomes one of the most important contributions to health and happiness.  Start early, and optimum eating habits will be a zero hardship throughout life.

Well said Steven! We all are human. We have our weaknesses. It's not about drastically changing your eating habits but more about exercising some control and moderation, get into the good habit of eating right and once in a while you can indulge once youre already established a good healthy habit.

Hey guys! Just wanna know if anyone here who was skinny before and managed to gain weight? Any tips/tricks to share?

I've been skinny my whole life and I've decided to take the step to change that.

Probably because of the pressures of seeing other people being so fit and all but also mostly wanna do it for myself lol :)

Recently I started gyming (yay me) but not very often. It's like once every week with a friend. She wants to lose weight while I wanna gain haha. 

Also supplements - are they a must? Knowing that  I have a high metabolism, should I take supplements? 

I know that these things can be Googled and stuff but I'd love to hear some real-life experiences/insights and advice from members here :)

Anyway, wish me luck!

On 8/17/2018 at 11:02 AM, Dr T said:

Actually that book is quite cherry-picking. It doesn't give a very well-balanced view for it to be considered evidence-based.

36 minutes ago, xydboy said:

Actually that book is quite cherry-picking. It doesn't give a very well-balanced view for it to be considered evidence-based.

Yes that's true. I think that's the purpose of his book. He wants to dispel the common misconception about losing weight. Using existing evidence. He gave very good sound and scientific based explanations. And also he's had experienced helping his patients lose weight. People who normally would find it very difficult to lose weight using the usual way.

4 hours ago, fallmerees said:

Hey guys! Just wanna know if anyone here who was skinny before and managed to gain weight? Any tips/tricks to share?

I've been skinny my whole life and I've decided to take the step to change that.

Probably because of the pressures of seeing other people being so fit and all but also mostly wanna do it for myself lol :)

Recently I started gyming (yay me) but not very often. It's like once every week with a friend. She wants to lose weight while I wanna gain haha. 

Also supplements - are they a must? Knowing that  I have a high metabolism, should I take supplements? 

I know that these things can be Googled and stuff but I'd love to hear some real-life experiences/insights and advice from members here :)

Anyway, wish me luck!

Must start by mentioning that @xydboy is my health and fitness guru on BW and he should have good advice. What worked for me is gym 3 -5 times a week trying to excercise each large muscle group/region at least once a week.  It is amazing how much protein you have to eat to build muscle - like 1.7g per kg body weight per day. And then you also have to replace all those calories you burn exercising. For me another important aspect was form when weight training. Don’t just yank those weights. Slow controlled movements with a weight that allows you to do 12 reps is important.

Only supplement I take is 100 % Whey protein from ON in order to meet the protein intake target.

But you’ve done the most important thing and started doing something :clap: Good luck indeed !!!

Guest Hide It
23 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Good that the renovation forced you out of this negative habit of spending time submerged in a hot water tub. The idea of "melting away" fat goes against the proper care of our skin, which is the largest organ in the body. This becomes so noticeable later in life! Dr T has given good advice about the importance of food intake in the control of body composition (not simply "weight"). It should be of extreme urgency to focus attention on the diet, follow the abundant information available, and make a SUSTAINED effort to change the diet to the healthiest possible, which is coincidentally the one that give our bodies their best shape. It does not seem fair, but weight gain and its extreme of obesity becomes increasingly difficult to reverse the longer one waits. And especially in later years, proper body composition becomes one of the most important contributions to health and happiness. Start early, and optimum eating habits will be a zero hardship throughout life.

You need to get your facts straight if you want to reply to a post of mine. The sauna removed from the gym was a steam sauna, not a hot water tub, first of all. I have played sports my entire life, including wrestling, and never had any problem "melting fat" until sustaining two leg injuries, which I mentioned, but your screed conveniently ignored. That means I can't run very much which was a source of sweating off excess weight for me. I mentioned my eating habits, saying my daily caloric intake is pretty much at the minimum, but you ignored that too. Nobody knows my body better than me, and I was consistently between 70 and 72 kilograms before my injuries, and then the gym's removal of the sauna. Now it's between 76 and 78 all the time. And how dare you lecture me about sustaining efforts to change. I am in the gym four or five times every week and that has been the case ever since I graduated university and started working. Your "know it all but actually know nothing" post really makes me understand why so many alleged trolls are always arguing with you online.

35 minutes ago, Guest Hide It said:

You need to get your facts straight if you want to reply to a post of mine. The sauna removed from the gym was a steam sauna, not a hot water tub, first of all. I have played sports my entire life, including wrestling, and never had any problem "melting fat" until sustaining two leg injuries, which I mentioned, but your screed conveniently ignored. That means I can't run very much which was a source of sweating off excess weight for me. I mentioned my eating habits, saying my daily caloric intake is pretty much at the minimum, but you ignored that too. Nobody knows my body better than me, and I was consistently between 70 and 72 kilograms before my injuries, and then the gym's removal of the sauna. Now it's between 76 and 78 all the time. And how dare you lecture me about sustaining efforts to change. I am in the gym four or five times every week and that has been the case ever since I graduated university and started working. Your "know it all but actually know nothing" post really makes me understand why so many alleged trolls are always arguing with you online.

LOL!  Your post aims at hitting me like a bucket of icy water.  But I happen to like such a cold, it feels better than sitting in a steam sauna.  Steam saunas, dry saunas, jacuzzis are highly overrated for "melting fat".   I kind of ignored your leg injuries, since they should not be in your way to control weight.  You seem obsessed with this idea that you can do it through exercising instead of food intake,  and you should think twice before saying that you "eat the bare minimum".  You must never have cared for a severely malnourished person due to gastric problems, like I have been doing.  Even if you can barely walk, you can lose weight by controlling the kind and amount of food you stuff through your mouth. In the gym four or five times every week?  For many years I went to the gym SIX times a week and since I started practicing a martial art I have reduced it to four.  And my workout is not to run to lose weight but to exercise with weights to improve body composition and maintain health.  It is completely false to overeat and then expect to lose the excess calories by doing aerobic exercise.

Guest Hide It
9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

LOL! Your post aims at hitting me like a bucket of icy water. But I happen to like such a cold, it feels better than sitting in a steam sauna. Steam saunas, dry saunas, jacuzzis are highly overrated for "melting fat". I kind of ignored your leg injuries, since they should not be in your way to control weight. You seem obsessed with this idea that you can do it through exercising instead of food intake,  and you should think twice before saying that you "eat the bare minimum". You must never have cared for a severely malnourished person due to gastric problems, like I have been doing. Even if you can barely walk, you can lose weight by controlling the kind and amount of food you stuff through your mouth. In the gym four or five times every week? For many years I went to the gym SIX times a week and since I started practicing a martial art I have reduced it to four. And my workout is not to run to lose weight but to exercise with weights to improve body composition and maintain health. It is completely false to overeat and then expect to lose the excess calories by doing aerobic exercise.

Do not respond to me again. I am disgusted by your white privilege attitude. You are trying to lecture me rather than have a conversation, while conveniently ignoring facts, and at the same time making incorrect assumptions. That does not fly in my circle and you are not welcome to interact with me anymore. I strongly advise you to repent from your arrogant demeanor, start being nice to others, and stop picking fights with innocent posters for no good reason whatsoever.

32 minutes ago, Guest Hide It said:

Do not respond to me again. I am disgusted by your white privilege attitude. You are trying to lecture me rather than have a conversation, while conveniently ignoring facts, and at the same time making incorrect assumptions. That does not fly in my circle and you are not welcome to interact with me anymore. I strongly advise you to repent from your arrogant demeanor, start being nice to others, and stop picking fights with innocent posters for no good reason whatsoever.

You are no innocent poster but a rather ugly one.  

My initial replay to your initial post was some practical advice given with the best intention.  You responded with irrational anger and complained that I didn't have your facts right.  I am not your counselor or adviser, and my replay with advice was not just to yourself, whom I don't have the pleasure to know personally, but rather to the audience, who reads the posts and follows the conversations.  Even less my replay should have been to you, since you don't care to post as a register user but you hide behind the anonymity of "Guest".

Now after your two last posts to me,  which you did in an ugly way and with full intention to not be welcomed, be assured that I am not interested in your "circle" and I remind you that any other message you send me will show YOUR desire to interact with me, probably again in an ugly way.  I give up on any pleasure to know you personally, but I don't feel displeasure for the conversation we had because I am confident of my good intentions and the correctness of my advice. 

Since you published your case in an open forum, I will feel free to further comment on it if this is advantageous to the present topic of reducing fat.  Please don't interpret this as any interest to involve you further.

Edited by Steve5380

17 hours ago, Dr T said:

Yes that's true. I think that's the purpose of his book. He wants to dispel the common misconception about losing weight. Using existing evidence. He gave very good sound and scientific based explanations. And also he's had experienced helping his patients lose weight. People who normally would find it very difficult to lose weight using the usual way.

How does cherry-picking relates to dispelling common misconception?Its like creating more misconception. I don't think its fair for people to receive a one-sided story on his account. Looking at the debates he participates, many of them were ill-framed and of poor evidence to support his conclusions. An example was how an individual reacted to his post some time ago: https://www.myoleanfitness.com/evidence-caloric-restriction/. Well, the debate isn't about whether one is more correct than the other, just pointing out that evidence-based approach shouldn't be based on justifications from a book, but rather holistic approach, even if the evidence does not support the theorised statement. After all, the highest evidence is based upon peer-reviewed meta-analysis or reviews rather than an expert opinion.

19 hours ago, Sh3rlock said:

Must start by mentioning that @xydboy is my health and fitness guru on BW and he should have good advice. What worked for me is gym 3 -5 times a week trying to excercise each large muscle group/region at least once a week.  It is amazing how much protein you have to eat to build muscle - like 1.7g per kg body weight per day. And then you also have to replace all those calories you burn exercising. For me another important aspect was form when weight training. Don’t just yank those weights. Slow controlled movements with a weight that allows you to do 12 reps is important.

Only supplement I take is 100 % Whey protein from ON in order to meet the protein intake target.

But you’ve done the most important thing and started doing something :clap: Good luck indeed !!!

3-5 times a week, eh? 
Damn I wish I could afford AF because having 24/7 access to a gym seems very ideal for me. Currently, I'm an ActiveSG member lol it's pretty affordable, especially for my Intern pay.

I do wanna take supplements too! Damn! Who knew waiting to gain weight could cost a lot of money too haha. 

Anyway, thank you! :)

On 8/18/2018 at 8:11 PM, Sh3rlock said:

Thank you for the compliments! Really appreciate it. =) Good recommendations that you have given as well. I agree to the statements made.

6 hours ago, fallmerees said:

3-5 times a week, eh? 
Damn I wish I could afford AF because having 24/7 access to a gym seems very ideal for me. Currently, I'm an ActiveSG member lol it's pretty affordable, especially for my Intern pay.

I do wanna take supplements too! Damn! Who knew waiting to gain weight could cost a lot of money too haha. 

Anyway, thank you! :)

ActiveSG is also as good. its not about what gyms you join but whether if you can keep up with regular training. I initially started with ActiveSG as well. Supplements whether needed or not is dependent on you. A poor diet supplemented is still a poor diet. You cannot out-supplement what you do poorly in lifestyle as well. Do think about it as it does not come cheap.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:06 AM, fallmerees said:

Anyway, wish me luck!

I wish you good luck!  You got good advice from Sh3rlock and xydboy, and I only want to add that it is better to be skinny with aspirations to get more muscular than to be big with aspirations to be slimmer again.  So it is good to do it slowly without any abusive means.  Our bodies like to be given plenty of time to adapt.

I also was skinny all my early life and I started to use a gym about thirty years ago to exercise with weights.  Before that I had the wrong idea that the best exercise was aerobics and I did plenty of running until i damaged one of my knees.  Once I changed to mainly weight training and doing some (relatively) heavy squats my damaged knee improved and has recuperated perfectly.  Today I am still slim but strong,  with good muscles and zero belly, which puts me in a rare case among men my age (70s).  Now I practice Aikido and I can fall down on the floor, roll on it forwards and backwards,  and get up from it without using hands, keeping up with guys half my age.  I practice stretching, breathing, meditation and haven't felt yet the burdens of old age.  As for nutrition, I started early to learn what is good to eat, and my acquaintances think that I am weird because I don't crave the stuff they cannot resist eating.  i don't know about the future, but I hope to continue the same way into my 80s.  Wish me luck!

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Advise

I would advise the combatants in this thread to step back from the brink and try to empathize with other people's perspectives. When somebody says something offends them, instead of getting defensive and lashing back at them, the best course of action is to try to see things from their point of view and avoid unnecessarily escalating the situation.

16 hours ago, Guest Advise said:

I would advise the combatants in this thread to step back from the brink and try to empathize with other people's perspectives. When somebody says something offends them, instead of getting defensive and lashing back at them, the best course of action is to try to see things from their point of view and avoid unnecessarily escalating the situation.

I empathize with your perspectives.  As I understand them, you would like to see discussions held in a loving fashion, never getting offensive, defensive.

This is an ideal that goes against human nature.  Millions of people died in the Thirty Years War due to religious disagreements between the Catholics and Protestants! 

Where you see "combatants", what there really are are argumentative people.  I am argumentative and I see this as perfectly moral.  The purpose of argumentative discussions is not to have a winner and a loser, but to expose information for anyone to evaluate.  When one side starts receiving arguments that are insults, like it happens to me sometimes,  it is perfectly moral to be assertive and respond to the insults, if possible at some higher ground.  

On 8/19/2018 at 11:43 AM, xydboy said:

How does cherry-picking relates to dispelling common misconception?Its like creating more misconception. I don't think its fair for people to receive a one-sided story on his account. Looking at the debates he participates, many of them were ill-framed and of poor evidence to support his conclusions. An example was how an individual reacted to his post some time ago: https://www.myoleanfitness.com/evidence-caloric-restriction/. Well, the debate isn't about whether one is more correct than the other, just pointing out that evidence-based approach shouldn't be based on justifications from a book, but rather holistic approach, even if the evidence does not support the theorised statement. After all, the highest evidence is based upon peer-reviewed meta-analysis or reviews rather than an expert opinion.

Thank you Xydboy for sharing the other views on this. Very interesting information. It's good that one opinion gets different views and perspectives.

I suppose you're right about the cherry picking part. I think Dr Fung is just frustrated with how healthcare professionals approach diabetes with insulin. Hence that's why he might have sounds like cherry picking. I also share his frustration because i see so amny patients who still get stroke, heart attack etc despite taking their meds diligently and seeing their doctor regularly. So he was just trying to tell doctors that there are better ways to control diabetes other than just taking meds and to tell them to be more open to such ideas.

At the end of the day i think there are always studies that prove different things. So we can look at the number of studies done, how the studies are performed etc. Ultimately i feel the person trying to lose weight should read the information available and make an informed decision then go and try out the method of choice. That's the best way for them to know what works: to just do it themselves. Every person has a different body so they need to understand what works best for their body.

Hope our discussion may benefit whoever is trying to lose weight.

8 hours ago, Dr T said:

At the end of the day i think there are always studies that prove different things. So we can look at the number of studies done, how the studies are performed etc. Ultimately i feel the person trying to lose weight should read the information available and make an informed decision then go and try out the method of choice. That's the best way for them to know what works: to just do it themselves. Every person has a different body so they need to understand what works best for their body.

It is true that the interested person can read the information available and make an informed decision, then try out the method of choice.

The problem is how to make the choice.  We are informed, with both good information and bad information.

We normal individuals are ill equipped to make this choice.  It may come to a faith in a given "dogma", inspired by the popularity of such dogma.  Often the dogma is the opinion of some doctor, whose evidence is his experience in his practice plus some technical mumbo-jumbo that normal readers don't understand or don't have the means to verify.  So in the end it comes down to FAITH.  We normal individuals don't have the tools a doctor has, like lab work, test procedures and anything more invasive.  And much less do we have the tools a research lab has.

And the way to see what works by trial and error may require very long times to be able to judge results.  Like seeing what works against diabetes, cancer.  It may take decades to see any results, with much time (and health) wasted.  Fat reduction may be one of the quickest effects to monitor, and even so there are so many choices to make.

I have a situation like this after I started reading a book,  "The Calcium Lie II", by a doctor Thompson, who turns on its head the assumption that bones are fortified by taking in more calcium.  On a first reading,  one thinks  "of course!  why hasn't society found out earlier about the falsity of taking calcium?".  But then, a cold analysis leaves one simply with FAITH in what this doctor says plus some doubts.  

The majority of doctors don't have time to come up with revolutionary theories.  They are busy with their practices, seeing countless patients, and trying to do the best with the knowledge they acquired in med school.  They are not researchers, with the facilities serious research requires.  So how come some doctors write best-sellers where they launch revolutionary ideas and become celebrities?   Can they be trusted?  Or are they just sleek businessmen who are after profit?

On 8/19/2018 at 9:17 PM, xydboy said:

ActiveSG is also as good. its not about what gyms you join but whether if you can keep up with regular training. I initially started with ActiveSG as well. Supplements whether needed or not is dependent on you. A poor diet supplemented is still a poor diet. You cannot out-supplement what you do poorly in lifestyle as well. Do think about it as it does not come cheap.

That's true... :/

Thank you for this! I know it takes a lot of dedication, time and also money. Definitely will a lot of hard work too haha

Your bod is goals btw! Yasss

On 8/20/2018 at 8:38 AM, Steve5380 said:

I wish you good luck!  You got good advice from Sh3rlock and xydboy, and I only want to add that it is better to be skinny with aspirations to get more muscular than to be big with aspirations to be slimmer again.  So it is good to do it slowly without any abusive means.  Our bodies like to be given plenty of time to adapt.

I also was skinny all my early life and I started to use a gym about thirty years ago to exercise with weights.  Before that I had the wrong idea that the best exercise was aerobics and I did plenty of running until i damaged one of my knees.  Once I changed to mainly weight training and doing some (relatively) heavy squats my damaged knee improved and has recuperated perfectly.  Today I am still slim but strong,  with good muscles and zero belly, which puts me in a rare case among men my age (70s).  Now I practice Aikido and I can fall down on the floor, roll on it forwards and backwards,  and get up from it without using hands, keeping up with guys half my age.  I practice stretching, breathing, meditation and haven't felt yet the burdens of old age.  As for nutrition, I started early to learn what is good to eat, and my acquaintances think that I am weird because I don't crave the stuff they cannot resist eating.  i don't know about the future, but I hope to continue the same way into my 80s.  Wish me luck!

Aw thank you!

WOW! Keep up the good work! I hope I'm as healthy as you when I reach your age! :)

24 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

And I hope I'm still healthy when you reach my age, if I live so long.  :)

Aw damn! T_T I'm sorry I feel bad now... 

11 hours ago, Dr T said:

Thank you Xydboy for sharing the other views on this. Very interesting information. It's good that one opinion gets different views and perspectives.

I suppose you're right about the cherry picking part. I think Dr Fung is just frustrated with how healthcare professionals approach diabetes with insulin. Hence that's why he might have sounds like cherry picking. I also share his frustration because i see so amny patients who still get stroke, heart attack etc despite taking their meds diligently and seeing their doctor regularly. So he was just trying to tell doctors that there are better ways to control diabetes other than just taking meds and to tell them to be more open to such ideas.

Hope our discussion may benefit whoever is trying to lose weight.

Yes definitely. I do feel that it is right to provide people with good information so that they can make a well-informed choice. Science might be wrong at times, but its the best way to look at things and to provide substantiated statements to individuals, especially about health.

2 hours ago, fallmerees said:

That's true... :/

Thank you for this! I know it takes a lot of dedication, time and also money. Definitely will a lot of hard work too haha

Your bod is goals btw! Yasss

I'm just mere mortal. Haha! But thanks for the compliments. yes, it takes time and effort. But every effort is closer to where you initially started. So don't give up.

Guest Assertation
On August 20, 2018 at 3:55 PM, Steve5380 said:

I empathize with your perspectives. As I understand them, you would like to see discussions held in a loving fashion, never getting offensive, defensive. This is an ideal that goes against human nature. Millions of people died in the Thirty Years War due to religious disagreements between the Catholics and Protestants! Where you see "combatants", what there really are are argumentative people. I am argumentative and I see this as perfectly moral. The purpose of argumentative discussions is not to have a winner and a loser, but to expose information for anyone to evaluate. When one side starts receiving arguments that are insults, like it happens to me sometimes, it is perfectly moral to be assertive and respond to the insults, if possible at some higher ground.

I am impressed. Some of the guests in this thread are really good. They actually got the Lonely American Septugenarian to admit that he doesn't care about engaging in mutually respectful conversations, but instead prefers to insult Asians for no good reason and then pretend to be the innocent victim after we assert our rights, which reminds him that the colonial era is dead and never coming back. Nobody here wants any 'argumentativeness' or insistence that someone knows more than anybody else and thinking people in a completely different country on a totally different continent should bow down to their opinion and no others. Singaporean trolls are bad enough. The ang moh variety need not apply.

Guest hellohello3
On 8/18/2018 at 3:06 PM, fallmerees said:

Anyway, wish me luck!

document your journey on youtube leh!, are you doing this with Mano? all the best! 

4 hours ago, Guest hellohello3 said:

document your journey on youtube leh!, are you doing this with Mano? all the best! 

Haha good idea I would do that but I need to gather all the resources I can get first before I embark on this journey! 

15 hours ago, Guest Assertation said:

I am impressed. Some of the guests in this thread are really good. They actually got the Lonely American Septugenarian to admit that he doesn't care about engaging in mutually respectful conversations, but instead prefers to insult Asians for no good reason and then pretend to be the innocent victim after we assert our rights, which reminds him that the colonial era is dead and never coming back. Nobody here wants any 'argumentativeness' or insistence that someone knows more than anybody else and thinking people in a completely different country on a totally different continent should bow down to their opinion and no others. Singaporean trolls are bad enough. The ang moh variety need not apply.

It is so sad the state of your mind.  I am no psychiatrist and I won't attempt to analyze your traumas.  If you are in he BW community and have to post as "guest", this must be because you recognize that something is not well with you.  Have you suffered racial discrimination as a child or adult?  This could explain your totally racist tirade.   Your feelings that I "insult Asians",  your bringing up "colonial era", "different country, continent", "no Singaporean", and... "ang moh".  Do you really think that you are giving an example of "respectful conversations" with your post?

I see no connection between reducing body fat and all your criticism.  I already have been called ignorant and now racist, but in all my posts here I have never mention race, and ignorance is something we all have in different degrees.  Since you bring this up,  I haven't chosen where I was born or if I came out white or whatever other race, ethnicity.  In fact I am rather mixed,  half European Jewish and another half a mixture of American Indian and Spanish.  I was educated a Catholic and my first langue was European, and since childhood I don't identify with any religion nor country.  It does not get much more open minded than that.  

Why don't you engage me about the topic here of body fat?  Are you an obese person who cannot control your weight and does not accept the reality of your situation?  If so, more than anyone you need to be told to stop the nonsense, get on your ass and work hard to remedy your situation as soon as possible.  This is to be positive, even if we disagree on some of the recommendations I have been making.

On 8/21/2018 at 8:26 PM, Steve5380 said:

It is true that the interested person can read the information available and make an informed decision, then try out the method of choice.

The problem is how to make the choice.  We are informed, with both good information and bad information.

We normal individuals are ill equipped to make this choice.  It may come to a faith in a given "dogma", inspired by the popularity of such dogma.  Often the dogma is the opinion of some doctor, whose evidence is his experience in his practice plus some technical mumbo-jumbo that normal readers don't understand or don't have the means to verify.  So in the end it comes down to FAITH.  We normal individuals don't have the tools a doctor has, like lab work, test procedures and anything more invasive.  And much less do we have the tools a research lab has.

And the way to see what works by trial and error may require very long times to be able to judge results.  Like seeing what works against diabetes, cancer.  It may take decades to see any results, with much time (and health) wasted.  Fat reduction may be one of the quickest effects to monitor, and even so there are so many choices to make.

I have a situation like this after I started reading a book,  "The Calcium Lie II", by a doctor Thompson, who turns on its head the assumption that bones are fortified by taking in more calcium.  On a first reading,  one thinks  "of course!  why hasn't society found out earlier about the falsity of taking calcium?".  But then, a cold analysis leaves one simply with FAITH in what this doctor says plus some doubts.  

The majority of doctors don't have time to come up with revolutionary theories.  They are busy with their practices, seeing countless patients, and trying to do the best with the knowledge they acquired in med school.  They are not researchers, with the facilities serious research requires.  So how come some doctors write best-sellers where they launch revolutionary ideas and become celebrities?   Can they be trusted?  Or are they just sleek businessmen who are after profit?

I hear your frustration Steve. You know what i did? After i read about the few types of weight loss methods, i went ahead and did it. i give myself at least 3 months each time to see the effects. So far i myslef have gone through the Keto Diet, Intermittent fasting and AgeLOC Tr90 system and also prescribe them to patients. All of them works and each comes with their pros and cons. If you want to know more details about each type can PM me. I have also tried caloric restriction, working out without changing diet, no rice diet, high protein diet. Nothing beats trying it out yourself haha. But let me save you the trouble and the time so can just look at the 3 above that worked. 

1 minute ago, Dr T said:

I hear your frustration Steve. You know what i did? After i read about the few types of weight loss methods, i went ahead and did it. i give myself at least 3 months each time to see the effects. So far i myslef have gone through the Keto Diet, Intermittent fasting and AgeLOC Tr90 system and also prescribe them to patients. All of them works and each comes with their pros and cons. If you want to know more details about each type can PM me. I have also tried caloric restriction, working out without changing diet, no rice diet, high protein diet. Nothing beats trying it out yourself haha. But let me save you the trouble and the time so can just look at the 3 above that worked. 

Thank you for your concern, Dr T.  I am not frustrated, since I have an ideal weight with no extra fat and I am in perfect health.  But my heart goes out to those who struggle and don't have proper guidance.  Your patients must be lucky,  but most doctors are not interested in diets, thinking that it is some inferior specialty better left to dietitians.  In the US we have a tremendously powerful FDA whose approval all prescription medicines must have.  Maybe the government should also get involved in the control of dietary guidelines, whose consequences can be nearly as dramatic as that of prescription drugs.  Is fat unhealthy, is sugar unhealthy, is milk unhealthy, is coffee unhealthy, is microwaved food unhealthy?  There are tens of theories with conflicting dictates. What we need is a body of health specialists and associated experts who pass judgement on the various theories, judgement that is backed up by their impeccable reputations and some minor laws.  Something like peer reviews like xydboy mentioned but rather reviews by experts, who interview the proponents of theories and come up with conclusions that the industry of diet advisers need to respect.  These conclusions don't need to be one sided but can be conditional to particular cases. For example, the panel of experts should interview Dr Thompson, who will need to make a case for calcium intake being unhealthy.  Chemists, biologists, bone specialists will look at his theory, his data and come up with a determination if it is right or wrong.  If wrong, he will be encouraged to amend his theory or be liable for the damage his theory may inflict.  The determination can be that in some cases he is right, in others he is wrong, and this becomes part of the conclusions about the reviewed theory.  This will prevent that some doctors fill their patients with calcium supplements to help bones, while others prescribe its elimination from the diet for the same reason.

10 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Thank you for your concern, Dr T.  I am not frustrated, since I have an ideal weight with no extra fat and I am in perfect health.  But my heart goes out to those who struggle and don't have proper guidance.  Your patients must be lucky,  but most doctors are not interested in diets, thinking that it is some inferior specialty better left to dietitians.  In the US we have a tremendously powerful FDA whose approval all prescription medicines must have.  Maybe the government should also get involved in the control of dietary guidelines, whose consequences can be nearly as dramatic as that of prescription drugs.  Is fat unhealthy, is sugar unhealthy, is milk unhealthy, is coffee unhealthy, is microwaved food unhealthy?  There are tens of theories with conflicting dictates. What we need is a body of health specialists and associated experts who pass judgement on the various theories, judgement that is backed up by their impeccable reputations and some minor laws.  Something like peer reviews like xydboy mentioned but rather reviews by experts, who interview the proponents of theories and come up with conclusions that the industry of diet advisers need to respect.  These conclusions don't need to be one sided but can be conditional to particular cases. For example, the panel of experts should interview Dr Thompson, who will need to make a case for calcium intake being unhealthy.  Chemists, biologists, bone specialists will look at his theory, his data and come up with a determination if it is right or wrong.  If wrong, he will be encouraged to amend his theory or be liable for the damage his theory may inflict.  The determination can be that in some cases he is right, in others he is wrong, and this becomes part of the conclusions about the reviewed theory.  This will prevent that some doctors fill their patients with calcium supplements to help bones, while others prescribe its elimination from the diet for the same reason.

What you're describing is ideal but may be very difficult to execute. People being people will always have differing views and can always come up with studies to go against different views and statements. Studies are also not perfect, because you will need to look at the design and execution of the study.  So i personally prefer to just pick a few that has reasonable number of backed studies and also read up on professional and individual experiences. Then apply it myself first before recommending to my patients.

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, ThePineapple said:

Youtube helps... 
lots of them on gym and stuff like that

True that, but what I realised is that diff bodies respond in diff ways so what might work for one may not work for the other. That’s why I thought if there’s someone who is a pro at this can at least guide me.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.