Male HQ

Foreign / Overseas LGBT News - Gay News Outside Singapore (Compiled)

ruffx2sg

Malawi gay couple sentenced to 14 years in prison for wedding

AFP

AFP - Friday, May 21

BLANTYRE (AFP) - – A Malawi gay couple was sentenced Thursday to the maximum 14 years in prison with hard labour, after being convicted of sodomy for holding the country's first same-sex wedding.

Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza were arrested on December 28 after their symbolic wedding and accused of violating "the order of nature". They have been in jail ever since and the sentence was condemned as an "outrage" by rights group Amnesty International.

Homosexuality is illegal in Malawi and most other African countries.

The couple looked subdued when the judge handed down the sentence and were quickly rushed out of the packed courtroom.

Former colonial power Britain, the United States and Ireland expressed "deep disappointment" at the ruling.

In January, the Malawi couple appealed to the Constitutional Court to throw out the case, but the top court refused to consider that appeal.

Msuku said he would consult with his clients on filing a new appeal.

my 2-cent's worth: the dranonian gay law was there because of the colonial whites in the past; they were the roots of these draconian-law problems - then they should fight tooth and nail to get rid of this stupid law they have passed eons ago in history...

older4younger

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281966/Gaydar-really-exists-Scientists-prove-gays-pick-fellow-homosexuals.html

Gaydar really exists: Scientists prove gay people are more able to pick out fellow homosexuals

By FIONA MACRAE 27th May 2010

Gay people really do have an inbuilt radar that helps them seek out like-minded souls, scientists have shown. This sixth sense, or 'gaydar', ensures they pay more attention to detail, allowing them to pluck potential partners out of a crowd. The Dutch researchers looked at whether straight and gay people focus their attention differently when faced with a problem.

A total of 42 men and women were shown pictures of outlines of large squares and rectangles, each of which was packed with smaller shapes.

Our brains are wired to take in the bigger picture, meaning that if we are shown a square filled with rectangles and asked what is inside, we can easily be fooled into saying 'squares'.

When the men and women were asked similar questions, the heterosexuals replied more quickly but were less accurate, the journal Frontiers in Cognition reports.

The homosexuals took longer but got more answers right, particularly when asked about the smaller shapes, suggesting they were able to see the small details as well as the bigger picture.

Or they were able to see the trees as well as the wood.

In everyday life, this attention to detail could help them work out people's sexuality.

Researcher Dr Lorenza Colzato, of Leiden University in the Netherlands, said: 'This is the first time that scientific proof has been found for the existence of a gaydar mechanism amongst homosexuals.

‘This perceptual skill allows homosexuals to recognise other gay people faster and we think it's because they are much more analytic than heterosexuals.'

Adopting such a perceptual style presumably increases the likelihood of detecting perceptual clues indicative of homosexual orientation, which facilitates finding like-minded social peers and potential friends and sex mates.

Differences in attention to detail have previously been shown among religious groups, with Italian Roman Catholics looking at the bigger picture more than those with secular views and Israeli Orthodox Jews paying less attention to detail than Israeli non-believers.

Dr Colzato said: 'This fits with the strong emphasis on social solidarity in both Catholicism and Orthodox Judaism.'

In contrast, Dutch Calvinists, who are counselled on 'minding their own business', focus on detail rather than the bigger picture.

Guest zaobao

男人变女样博出位 中国“伪娘”惹非议 from LianheZaobao http://www.zaobao.com/zg/zg100607_002.shtml

(2010-06-07)

潘洪贵, 重庆

中国最近出现这样一群男生——他们涂脂抹粉、举止妖娆,女性装扮比女生还妩媚时尚……他们被冠之以“伪娘”称号,以刘著为代表。

刘著出生于四川省南充市,目前就读于四川音乐学院作曲系。2010年参加中国湖南卫视《快乐男声》南充分赛区比赛。因报名时着烟熏妆、穿蓝色丝袜和高跟鞋而引起社会关注。刘著凭借着出位的打扮,女性化的表演,让他出尽风头,在网上有“第一伪娘”的称号,昵称“著姐”,而且还在全国掀起一股“伪娘”风潮。

现年24岁的重庆“伪娘”刘刚(化名)在接受本报访问时透露,变身“伪娘”是受了日本漫画的影响,当然也因为自己的白肤、长相、身材的确像女生,在读大学期间,有一次找要好的女生给自己扮了一个女装,同学惊叹,他自己也惊讶,于是就一发不可收拾了。现在绝对是一正宗的“伪娘”。

他认为,“伪娘”也是人,只是有点另类,长得像女人,打扮出来比女人更漂亮,不是为了要去证明什么,只是寻找一种适合自己的美。中国人就是这样子,一向抱着“非我族类其心必异”的思想,对“异”者或口诛笔伐更或斩草除根。

中国知名的伪娘越来越多,比如有男版范冰冰之称的孔铭和男版周迅之称的金朴俊。中国上海因为COSPLAY(Costume play,角色扮演)已形成一种文化,“伪娘”更多的集结于此。然而,这股“伪娘”风正在华夏大地上引起社会各界的议论,越来越多的人加入到反“伪娘”阵营。

据本报做的一个小型调查,在QQ上随机抽取10个30岁左右的人(四男六女):只有一时尚潮男明确表示支持“伪娘”,理由是《快乐女声》(湖南卫视另一个著名选秀节目)都出现了李宇春这样的“中性”女歌手,为什么《快乐男生》不能出个“伪娘”?调查中,仅仅两人表示中立,只要不伤风化、不影响他人就行,怎样穿着打扮是个人的想法和做法;多达七人明确表示反对,这七人中有五名男性认为,男人就应该像男人,女人就应该像女人,不然整个社会就乱套了;两名女性则认为,女人喜欢纯爷们。

儿子已经在读小学的个体经营者罗小利的儿子长得很媚气,像女孩一样安静、乖巧,男孩应该有的气质一点都没有,所以被同学们取了个外号“伪娘”。这让罗小利很担心儿子变成“娘娘腔”,有时候甚至希望儿子出去和别人打架。她表示对“伪娘”现象很反感:“男人就应该有男人的样子,男人穿女人的衣服,还要化妆,不是变态是什么?”

匿名网民“深山客人”则说:“我们可以容许一些‘伪娘’现象存在,可以宽容,但绝不能够提倡、渲染。性别角色会受时代、文化影响,其中主要的文化影响来自同伴。青少年期追寻新事物,模仿偶像,很正常。现代社会对人们在生活方式上的差异性持宽容态度,这也是社会开放进步的表现。”

对于“伪娘”蔚然成风的现象,重庆心理咨询师陈香发出警告,“伪娘”是从古至今、甚至全世界很多国家都客观存在的现象,媒体不应把它拿来当作炒作的棋子,并扩大化,否则会带来很严重的后果。媒体应该报道事实,而不是炒作事实。不过,她认为,男孩在现代教育和家长的宠溺下正变得越来越女性化,“伪娘”的出现与这趋势密不可分。她也担心中国可能会失去一代男人。

在重庆一家时尚刊物做编辑的Allen则认为,“伪娘”的存在其实合理,这好比穿衣,有人适合穿休闲装,有人适合穿西装。他说:“‘伪娘’只是少数现象,且只有一小部分男性有这个资本并有这个需求,多元化社会应该以包容的心态来看待这个现象,社会大众不应去过度关注、过度诠释,用平常心来看就好了。”

Guest Guest

China is always boliao like nothing better to do. First the fashionable beggar, now the xdresser. They are really mountain tortoises.

Hello!! these were passe years, years ago :lol: Xdressers, now dime a dozen in Thailand.

Unfortunately, gays being mostly underground and invisible, they are the most visible parts of the gays.

Hence most people think gay=sissies=xdressers=bottoms :swear:

When a straight got to know I am a bottom, his logic goes backwards bottom=xdresser=sissy :swear:

The next question is how come huh? You don't look like it leh.

I just hope there will be those like GM who join in these media events, get noticed and then bring out their bfs and declare they are gays and not all gays are sissies :lol:

Let's see if China have these type of guts instead of “伪娘”是从古至今、甚至全世界很多国家都客观存在的现象,媒体不应把它拿来当作炒作的棋子,并扩大化 to sell newspapers or internet clicks :swear:

Guest marriage

I know of AJ friends who marry and have children for the sake of their parents and family. But what about gay man marrying a lesbian for convenience ? In Singapore - you guys know of anyone ?

The following piece taken from Asia One http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Asia/Story/A1Story20100608-220950.html

CHINA - Lesbian partners are tying the knot with gay couples to satisfy their parents, but find the deception exhausting.

Zhang Nana (not her real name), a 32-year-old working for a Beijing-based magazine, and her 58-year-old parents are caught in a crisis that threatens to tear apart the family.

But it was only in October 2006 that her parents attended the banquet that gathered together more than 100 relatives and friends, to celebrate their daughter's marriage to a good-looking, 31-year-old university lecturer surnamed Wang.

Three years later, the couple divorced. The reason that Zhang gave her parents has plunged a home filled with warmth and laughter into distress and agony. She finally told them: She is a homosexual.

"Why are you failing me?" questions her mother.

"Can you not try and change?" they ask, worn out by their crying, disbelief and disappointment.

Although China removed homosexuality from its list of mental illnesses in 2001, people like Zhang's parents continue to see it as an abnormity that can be corrected.

"How can I?" counters Zhang.

"I haven't told them that I've been living with my female partner since 2004.

"They believe I've 'degenerated' into same-sex love because of troubles in the marriage. But Wang, too, is gay.

"Our marriage was a cover from the very beginning," she adds.

Zhang shares a loving relationship with Shenlan (not her real name), 29, who was a bridesmaid at her wedding.

They discovered one another while co-renting an apartment in the capital's Wangjing area. Knowing that their parents would never be able to understand or accept their love, their kept their relationship secret.

"My parents are a happy couple with traditional ideas, who expect me complete this picture of bliss with a grandchild," Zhang says.

As her love for Shenlan deepened, she began to think of the future. "I realized that sooner or later, I would have to react to my parents' expectations."

It was while trawling the online lesbian-community forums and reading of the personal experiences of other homosexuals, that Zhang and her partner decided to look for a gay couple "so we could help one another".

Guo Xiaofei, law school lecturer at China University of Political Science and Law, and author of Homosexuality in the Prospective of Chinese Law, says that in a country where same-sex marriage/partnership is not legal, a sham marriage is the gay community's creative response to the pressure to conform.

A lack of understanding of homosexuality and traditional mores are forcing more gay men to marry, and even beget children, saying leading sociologist and sexologist Li Yinhe of the China Academy of Social Sciences.

A 2005 survey of 200 gay men, by the Guangdong Center for Diseases Control and Prevention, shows that 30 percent of them were married.

In a 2006 interview with Guangzhou Daily, Li said 90 percent of the country's homosexuals, with an estimated population of 39-52 million, are trapped in marriages with straight partners.

Though the ratio of gay-lesbian marriages is hard to tell, "they are a reaction to the social pressures," say university lecturer Guo.

Zhang Nana and Shenlan began their search for a gay couples in 2005, setting two conditions for their prospective "husbands": no body contact and no children.

"We thought a gay couple could help all four of us keep our long-term relationship" Zhang says. "But we were wrong."

In early 2006, Zhang and Shenlan met Wang and Lian (They would not give their full names). Based on favorable first impressions, and the intense pressure for marriage by both Zhang's and Wang's parents, the two registered their marriage in May.

Former law students, they made sure they had a clear understanding on the sharing of money, property etc.

"We didn't want to trigger extra problems," Zhang says.

They shared the expenses for the wedding banquet and lived separately.

At first, everything went smoothly. Months after the wedding, one friend of Zhang's mother's asked to visit the daughter's "wedding house".

Zhang called Lian immediately for the apartment he had bought was supposed to be the marital home. Wang and Shenlan rushed to bring buy all sorts of things to make it look like a woman had been living there. And they managed to get out just minutes before Zhang and her guests arrived.

"I showed them around pretending to be the hostess," Zhang recalls.

But gradually she felt Wang was not playing his part as a supportive "husband", or a dutiful son-in-law.

"While I went to see Wang's family 3-4 times a year, he seldom did the same," she says.

Their collaboration ended and Zhang saw a chance to come clean with her parents.

"I was sick of lying to them," she says.

Meanwhile, in 2007, her partner Shenlan married Lian, a 36-year-old employee in a foreign company, at the constant pushing from Lian's parents.

"My life has become an endless round of deceptions. I'm exhausted with all the lying. I have even had to abandon some of my cherished friendships," Shenlan says.

While she is still waiting for an occasion to tell everything to her "open-minded mom", Zhang is sure her parents will come around, eventually.

"Once my cousin mentioned the increasing number of lesbian relationships in her university in a casual chat with my mother. I observed my mom's facial expressions stealthily and found her to be quite calm. This encouraged me to go ahead and tell her the truth."

University lecturer Guo says Zhang's decision also reflects the growing economic and social status of Chinese women, and the increasing confidence with which homosexuals are approaching their sexual identity.

"But their social recognition still lags behind," he says.

"They are forced into sham marriages as only then does the social pressures ease, even if divorce is the ultimate outcome."

Agreeing, Lian says he feels more relaxed after his fake marriage. "It (the pressure to marry) was my second biggest challenge after my self-identification as a gay."

Zhang is still waiting to reconcile with her family.

"I would love to invite my mom and dad to our place to see how I'm living and how I get along with Shenlan," she says. "But so far, I have made little progress."

Guest to halsbury

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..... why blast this secret in the open . what if the authorities find out how ?

Let them come up with their own creative ways of matching gay and lesbians to achieve their ends.

gays are a creative lot , one of the reasons are they aren't bound by conventional ideas about marriage.

Actually, that's not true either. They are still bound by conventions some what.

1. That life won't be complete without a partner.

2. That they will find a partner and he will sweep them off their feet and live gayly forever after.

3. That monogamy is the only way to go.

4. That living together as an entity is bliss.

This is what I always say to the more traditional thinking folks about wanting their gay children to get married for the purpose of pro-creation:

With today's technology, you can still have your own biological children through artificial insemination and hire a surrogate mother to carry the grandchildren. That way, the parents get the grandchildren they want, and the son or daughter can remain who they are without compromising.

Love. 

Guest Look4LesWife

This is what I always say to the more traditional thinking folks about wanting their gay children to get married for the purpose of pro-creation:

With today's technology, you can still have your own biological children through artificial insemination and hire a surrogate mother to carry the grandchildren. That way, the parents get the grandchildren they want, and the son or daughter can remain who they are without compromising.

Indeed tech can help but society cant accept if no such "marriage" ceremony took place

Anyone know any L facing same issues?

A kind of "Wedding Banquet" version may be help to put a "wayang" for everyone

And like Zhang and Wang after some year just arrange divorce with silly reason he/she got 3rd person

And both give lame excuse "trauma" and better with same sxx ....

Guest Guest

i wouldnt mind if fake marriage can be done to shut up parents' mouth BUT in sg, as long as u r married and u r divorced, ur wife (yes ur lesbian wife) is entitled to half ur assets.

i wouldnt mind if fake marriage can be done to shut up parents' mouth BUT in sg, as long as u r married and u r divorced, ur wife (yes ur lesbian wife) is entitled to half ur assets.

Pre-Nuptial agreements :) Have a lawyer draft out what is agreeable to both of you.

I can understand the struggle in wanting to fulfill one's obligations to parents, i.e. make them happy at then expense of your happiness. You get a pat on the back from them, they get to do the wedding banquet in front of the whole family etc. Have face... blah, blah...

I thought about it once upon a time. I had everything planned out including the bride candidate. Here is my costs breakdown:

1. Fake wife for marriage of 3 years: $20k

2. Living expense each month: $1k x 36 months: $36k

3. Wedding expenses: $25k

4. Legal fees (Pre-Nup and divorce): $6k

5. Misc. $10k

So in total, I would have to fork out around $97k for a charade. The one who benefits the most is the bride.

When i told my mother (she knows i am gay), the costs kind of kept her mouth shut about that topic permanently. :twisted:

Edited by chelseasian

Love. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 夭寿哇

Shocking news in Taiwan. This 88 yo old man is deserved to be castrated ! 夭寿哇 !!

2010-6-23 老翁被控強暴百公斤大母豬

【陳宏銘╱屏東報導】屏東縣長治鄉一名八旬老翁,遭一名養豬戶指控強暴傷害其所飼養的母豬,老翁則反控對方涉嫌藉此恐嚇勒索他十萬元,雙方各說各話。結果傷害母豬案未成立;恐嚇取財案,飼主被檢方起訴,但法官經查並無任何證據,昨判飼主無罪。

屏東地院庭長潘正屏表示,人獸交行為,《刑法》並無規範,飼主只能請求損害賠償,或依《動物保護法》告發,可處十萬元到五十萬元罰鍰。檢警調查,潘姓老翁(八十八歲)常到被控的邱姓男子(三十歲)家找邱父聊天。去年七月初,邱男見潘翁在他家豬舍強暴一頭百公斤大母豬,便用手機拍下,事後向潘翁恐嚇勒索十萬元「遮羞費」。

潘翁供稱,當時在看母豬發情,根本沒碰豬,因怕邱破壞名譽,想息事寧人才給錢。而邱男辯稱,看到潘翁對母豬不雅行為後,告知有拍照,只是要對方不要再到豬舍,並未恐嚇錢財。檢方查出潘翁事後確有提款十萬元紀錄,雖然未發現邱有收受證據,仍將邱男起訴;但法官以無任何證據可證明潘翁曾交付十萬元給邱男,判處無罪。起訴檢察官表示,等收到判決書再決定是否上訴。

• 1 month later...

arnoldschwarzeneggerr.jpg

Aug 7, 2010

Arnie calls for gay weddings

BC-US-Gay Marriage Trial, 2nd Ld-Writethru,0357 URGENT Schwarzenegger calls for same-sex weddings Eds: Updates with Schwarzenegger calling for resumption of gay weddings. For global distribution.

By PAUL ELIAS= Associated Press Writer= SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Attorney General Jerry Brown filed motions Friday calling for resumption of same-sex weddings in the state.

The officials filed the motions after U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker previously overturned California's voter-approved gay marriage ban, known as Proposition 8.

Resuming gay marriage 'is consistent with California's long history of treating all people and their relationships with equal dignity and respect,' Schwarzenegger said in his legal filing. Walker ruled Wednesday the ban violates federal equal protections and due process laws.

However, he agreed to block gay marriages from immediately resuming until he can consider arguments on whether to keep the ban in effect while its supporters take their appeal to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Brown, a candidate for governor, said that ruling means it's time for gays to begin marrying again.

'While there is still the potential for limited administrative burdens should future marriages of same-sex couples be later declared invalid, these potential burdens are outweighed by this court's conclusion, based on the overwhelming evidence, that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional,' Brown said in his legal filing. It was unclear when Walker would issue a ruling on the possible resumption of same-sex marriages. The outcome in the appeals court could force the U.S. Supreme Court to confront the question of whether gays have a constitutional right to wed.

Currently, same-sex couples can legally wed only in Massachusetts, Iowa, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire and Washington, D.C. California voters passed Proposition 8 five months after the state Supreme Court legalized same-sex unions and an estimated 18,000 same-sex couples already had tied the knot. -- AP

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/World/Story/STIStory_563241.html

New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/08/06/us/AP-US-Gay-Marriage-Trial.html?_r=1&hp

What if gay Singaporeans marry there, would it be legal here because a straight couple's marriage in the US is considered legal here.

Edited by Roger

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MUSHROOMHEADD

I HAVE A QUESTION...

GSM (and apparently more recently)Heaven, are popular for Chubs, Uncles etc... but - if you ARE one of these Older, Uncle Types, what is the likelihood you will run into one of the younger asian admirers we look for there ???

Also - i am looking for a place where I can hope to meet 'soft' types and effeminate types - does any place have such a reuptation in Thai?

I HAVE A QUESTION...

GSM (and apparently more recently)Heaven, are popular for Chubs, Uncles etc... but - if you ARE one of these Older, Uncle Types, what is the likelihood you will run into one of the younger asian admirers we look for there ???

Also - i am looking for a place where I can hope to meet 'soft' types and effeminate types - does any place have such a reuptation in Thai?

Oh sure, you can always find one not only in sauna but everywhere in BKK as long as you have a deep pocket !

I HAVE A QUESTION...

Also - i am looking for a place where I can hope to meet 'soft' types and effeminate types - does any place have such a reputation in Thai?

I am listing this again - as I am a member now, and want to be able to see the replies...

Unfortunately, the first response was really not that helpful... It is a serious inquiry from an older newbie...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Over 30 men caught with pants down in illegal spas

Sun, Nov 07, 2010

New Straits Times

MALACCA: From outside, nobody would suspect that two shophouses without signboards in Jalan Kampung Pantai and Lorong Hang Jebat near Jonker Street here were allegedly spas for gays.

More than 30 men, aged between 20 and 50, were caught partially or totally naked in a raid on the illegal spas last Friday.

The raid was conducted by officers of the Foreign Student and Workforce Division (FSWD) of the Chief Minister's Department, Immigration Department, Melaka Tengah district police headquarters, state Islamic Department (Jaim) and Malacca Historical City Council.

FSWD chief Shadan Othman said the spas came to light after a tip-off by parents of a higher learning institution student.

"We received a tip-off from the parents of an Indonesian student who learnt about their son's activities here," he said.

"We conducted surveillance on both centres for about a week.

"During the raid at 9pm, we found most of the men in both spas clad in towels. Some of them were also found naked in one of the spas' open shower area," he said, after the operation at Jalan Kilang, Melaka Tengah here.

He said two men in their 30s and 40s were given summonses by Jaim after being caught naked in a room.

"Jaim issued summonses to them, including the non-Muslim partner as he was also a witness," he said.

The raiding party also checked two pubs and two budget hotels in the Melaka Tengah area.

An unmarried Muslim couple, both aged 18, were detained by Jaim when they were found in a room.

Guest interested

Been to these raided spas in Malacca. It's very clean place with many polite malaysian guys inside

Hope they don't raid the spas in JB, which I had been too. I find Malaysian guys more civilised with less " attitude problem"

What are the nice saunas in JB which are fun?

Me in my early 30s.

• 3 weeks later...

http://news.pinkpaper.com/NewsStory/4319/18/11/2010/countries-vote-to-accept-execution-of-gays.aspx?xtra=email&dm_i=3XT,B0V7,2MI04V,UN2B,1&sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4ce678cb230e58df,0

The United Nations has removed a plea for lesbians, gays and bisexuals not to be executed in a narrow vote.

For the last 10 years sexual orientation has been included in a list of discriminatory grounds for executions – gay rights activists say the vote to remove that listing is “dangerous and disturbing.”

The amendment was supported by Benin in Africa on behalf of the African Group in the UN General Assembly. It passed on a narrow vote of 79 for, 70 against , 17 abstentions and 26 absent.

Some of those voting to remove sexual orientation were countries where gays are known to be or thought to be executed or summarily killed including Iran, Nigeria, Sudan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Iraq.

The UK, US, Australia, New Zealand and many European countries voted in favour of gays.

• 1 month later...

Research tackles gay community

Friday, January 14, 2011

The Brunei Times

http://www.bt.com.bn/news-national/2011/01/14/research-tackles-gay-community

THE first initial study on homosexuality in Brunei carried out by Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD) revealed the existence of underground gay clubs for men with some paying as much as $400 for a sexual relations with another man.

The working paper, titled "Gay in Brunei Darussalam: An initial observation" was presented during the National Seminar on Social Issues yesterday by two researchers at the Academy of Brunei Studies (APB), UBD, Pg Khairul Rijal Pg Hj Abdul Rahim and Zulhilmi Hj Jaidin.

The study is based on interviews and questionnaires with 29 gay men and focuses on a demographic breakdown on homosexual men and their relationships with other men.

Speaking during the seminar at Chancellor Hall, Zulhilmi disclosed that 58 per cent of respondents stated they belonged to groupings known as "gay clubs" which they used as an avenue to meet other gay men.

Eighty-two per cent of those interviewed said they did have sexual relations with other men while 10 per cent said they did not. Two people did not respond to this particular question in the survey.

Additionally, the study reveals instances of the interviewees paying for sex, with one respondent paying as much as $400 for a night with another man. However, the majority of respondents (41 per cent) said they did not pay for sex but interestingly, when asked what they looked for in a partner, 65.5 per cent of respondent said they preferred married men to single men.

In an interview with The Brunei Times, Zulhilmi, who is a lecturer in Deviance and Sociology at the APB, said not much is known about the gay community in Brunei which is why he chose to conduct research on the subject.

Majority chose to live a gay lifestyle out of their own desire. Four people stated it was because they were attracted to people of the same sex while five said they were influenced by their friends.

Additionally, four respondents told the researchers they were gay because they were born that way, while another four said they started living the gay lifestyle due to family circumstances. The study also noted that one respondent stated he turned to a homosexual lifestyle after experiencing heartbreak with a woman.

Zulhilmi explained that all the respondents were openly gay to their families and friends but it was too early to tell whether they faced discrimination from society because the study was still in the initial stages.

After coming out to their parents, 62.1 per cent of interviewees said they were still accepted by their families but 37.9 per cent responded that they were disowned by their families.

The study also offers a demographic breakdown of the 29 respondents by age, race, religion and place of origin.

Ten per cent of interviewees were aged between 16-20, 31 per cent were aged between 21-25, 31 per cent aged between 26-30, 17.2 per cent between 31-35 and 6.9 per cent between 36-40.

Twenty five of the respondents were local and four were foreign nationals residing in Brunei. The majority of respondents were Malay (24), three were Chinese, one was Filipino and one Indonesian. Twenty-eight were single and one was married.

Brunei-Muara showed the highest concentration of gay men, with 25 respondents from the district with two each from Tutong and Belait districts.

The study also broke down the respondents by occupation three of those surveyed worked as clerks, two as makeup artists, two were self-employed, six were unemployed, while the remaining 16 interviewees came from a variety of occupations including a teacher, army officer, police officer, flight attendant, and a hairdresser, among others.

The research and accompanying interviews were conducted in December 2010 and Zulhilmi stated that the next stage of their research would be conducting a similar interview and questionnaire exercise with lesbian women.

"Our research is in the very early stages but hopefully by doing so, we can hope to uncover a social phenomenon which is still taboo and has yet to be openly discussed in Brunei," he said.

Guest xenophile

interesting... one married but all are out to their families.. i wonder how that can be? what does his wife think?

All I noe about bruneiean men is that they are quite good in bed haha. Had a threesome with this couple there 3 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Thursday March 10, 2011

Gay casanova with HIV plays out 200

By P. ARUNA

aruna@thestar.com.my

KUALA LUMPUR: A HIV-positive gay casanova is believed to have conned nearly 200 young men of their money and valuables besides having sex with them.

So far, 193 youngsters have claimed to be victims of the man with at least 100 saying they had sex with him before they were cheated of money, laptops and other items.

The victims, some teenagers, said the casanova claimed to have fallen in love with them to gain their trust.

His conquests were discovered after one victim posted a photo of the man on Facebook, and other victims recognised him.

One, who only wanted to be known as Lee, 24, said he met ‘Alvin’ through Facebook last August and they soon carried on a relationship.

“He came to my house last month and stayed with me for three days,” said Lee, who lost RM3,000 when the casanova made off with his laptop, wallet and credit cards. He lodged a report with the Kota Damansara police station.

n_12chong.jpg

Shameful plight: Michael with victims of the gay casanova (from left) Tan, Kor, Lee and Tai (seated) Wednesday.

Another victim, Kor, 22, said he had been conned into sleeping with the man two years ago.

“He said he loved me and wanted me to be his boyfriend,” he said, adding that they had spent a night together in a hotel before the man ran off with the RM400 in Kor’s wallet.

“I want him to be stopped before he harms more people,” said Kor, who has yet to get himself tested for HIV.

The youngest victim, 17-year-old student Tai, met ‘Kelvin’ through a pen-pal magazine last October.

“He invited me to come over to a hotel room,” said Tai, adding that they had sex before going back to Tai’s home.

‘Kelvin’ then disappeared after stealing Tai’s laptop worth RM3,000. Tai has already tested positive for a sexually transmitted disease.

MCA Public Services and Complaints Department chief Datuk Michael Chong said the number of the casanova’s victims was shocking.

“We believe there are many more who do not want to come forward due to shame.”

Edited by qedcwc

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

he is quite unattractive... what do ppl see in him to call him a Casanova?

Casanovas don't have to mean good in looks mah..

Basically have to mean flirt around a lot....

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Guest Sherman's lagoon fan

Are you one of this gay and HIV positive casanova , better get tested for HIV.

:swear:Gay casanova with HIV plays out 200 in M'sia[ b] :swear: :twisted: :wacko::angry::(:unsure:

Kuala Lumpur (The Star/ANN) - A HIV-positive gay casanova is believed to have conned nearly 200 young men in Malaysia of their money and valuables besides having sex with them.

So far, 193 youngsters have claimed to be victims of the man with at least 100 saying they had sex with him before they were cheated of money, laptops and other items.

The victims, some teenagers, said the casanova claimed to have fallen in love with them to gain their trust.

His conquests were discovered after one victim posted a photo of the man on Facebook, and other victims recognised him.

One, who only wanted to be known as Lee, 24, said he met 'Alvin' through Facebook last August and they soon carried on a relationship.

"He came to my house last month and stayed with me for three days," said Lee, who lost 3,000 ringgit (US$990) when the casanova made off with his laptop, wallet and credit cards. He lodged a report with the Kota Damansara police station.

Another victim, Kor, 22, said he had been conned into sleeping with the man two years ago.

"He said he loved me and wanted me to be his boyfriend," he said, adding that they had spent a night together in a hotel before the man ran off with the 400 ringgit in Kor's wallet.

"I want him to be stopped before he harms more people," said Kor, who has yet to get himself tested for HIV.

The youngest victim, 17-year-old student Tai, met 'Kelvin' through a pen-pal magazine last October.

"He invited me to come over to a hotel room," said Tai, adding that they had sex before going back to Tai's home.

'Kelvin' then disappeared after stealing Tai's laptop worth 3,000 ringgit. Tai has already tested positive for a sexually transmitted disease.

Malaysian Chinese Association (MCA) Public Services and Complaints Department chief Datuk Michael Chong said the number of the casanova's victims was shocking.

"We believe there are many more who do not want to come forward due to shame."

Dear admin, u might wanna consider merging this topic with the one I created ytd.

Cheeres. :)

This is bad..... really bad.

:swear: :angry::(

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

Everybody has a dark secret but this rugged actor has one that will definitely shock his fans.

We hear that this good looking and macho actor is a regular patron of a gay nightclub in the city.

He was recently seen dancing and smooching on the dance floor with a younger man, ignoring the stares from patrons who recognised him.

And it was not the first time.

We hear that he is a regular patron and each time he would come with a different partner, usually much younger than him.

What's shocking is the fact that the actor is happily married. He has also never been linked to any female celebrities. Going by his macho looks, one will never suspect that he has a thing for other men.

In other words, he is not a playboy but rather, he prefers to play with the boys.

We wonder if his wife is aware of his double life.

-New Straits Times

Wonder anyone knows who it is talking about?

• 3 weeks later...

In an article that is carried by Fridae.com today... and it is related to your post. :)

=========================================================================================

A wide-ranging report commissioned by bishops of the US Catholic Church says neither homosexuality nor the all-male celibate priesthood could be blamed for the sexual abuse of minors by its priests. Researchers noted that the rise in the number of gay priests from the late 1970s onward had in fact corresponded with "a decreased incidence of abuse—not an increased incidence of abuse."

The five-year study, which was commissioned by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops to provide a definitive answer to what caused the church’s sexual abuse crisis, has concluded that neither the all-male celibate priesthood nor homosexuality were to blame.

The study was unable to identify a single cause of the abuse and concluded that few of the abusive priests were paedophiles, as their victims were not all pre-pubescent. Less than 5% of the abusive priests could be defined as paedophiles because the majority of victims were aged between 11 and 14. But the finding was criticised by victims because the American Psychiatric Association defines paedophilia as an attraction to children aged 13 or younger, reports the UK Guardian. The authors said the majority of abusive priests were "generalists" – sex offenders who do not specialise in a type of victim by age or gender or other characteristics.

Initiated in 2006, the study is said to be the most authoritative analysis of the scandal in the Catholic Church in America. The New York Times reported that it was conducted by a team of researchers at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City at a cost of US$1.8 million, half of which was provided by the bishops, with additional money contributed by Catholic organisations and foundations. The National Institute of Justice, the research agency of the United States Department of Justice, supplied about US$280,000.

The report was released Wednesday by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops in Washington, but the Religion News Service published an account of the report on its Web site on Tuesday.

The report stated:

Was celibacy to blame for the abuse? Gays in the priesthood? The social revolution of the ‘60s, or the benighted seminary education of the repressive 1950s?

The truth turns out to be far more complex, according to a copy of the report by researchers at John Jay College of Criminal Justice that was provided by a church leader who believes the findings accurately reflect the causes of the church’s sexual abuse crisis, for good and for ill.

The findings will likely unsettle both liberal and conservative critics, as well as victims’ advocates.

The 300-page report, formally called “The Causes and Context of Sexual Abuse of Minors by Catholic Priests in the United States, 1950-2010,” upends a number of popular misconceptions. While some will challenge the report’s methodology—and note that U.S. bishops paid for half the estimated $1.8 million price tag—the “Causes and Context” study is clearly a landmark in the research of child sexual abuse.

The first myth challenged by the study is that priests tend to be pedophiles. Of nearly 6,000 priests accused of abuse over the past half century (about 5 percent of the total number of priests serving during that period), less than 4 percent could be considered pedophiles, the report notes—that is, men who prey on children.

“Priest-abusers were not `pedophile priests’,” the researchers state flatly.

Second, the researchers found no statistical evidence that gay priests were more likely than straight priests to abuse minors—a finding that undermines a favorite talking point of many conservative Catholics. The disproportionate number of adolescent male victims was about opportunity, not preference or pathology, the report states.

What’s more, researchers note that the rise in the number of gay priests from the late 1970s onward actually corresponded with “a decreased incidence of abuse—not an increased incidence of abuse.”

• 4 weeks later...

Read the news below. Ridiculous right? Because we already knew all people have equality since a long time ago.

UN rights council considers gay rights resolution

GENEVA, June 17, 2011 (AFP) - The UN Human Rights Council will consider Friday a resolution that seeks equal rights for everyone regardless of their sexual orientation, which could mark "historic" progress for gay rights if adopted.

A draft of the resolution "affirms that all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights and that everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms ... without distinction of any kind."

It also commissions a study on discriminatory laws and violence against individuals based on their sexual orientation and gender identity.

"The adoption of the resolution will be historic as the first UN resolution devoted to addressing human rights violations based on sexual orientation and gender identity," said Peter Splinter, Amnesty International's representative at the UN.

"It will be very significant to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals in their struggle towards the full enjoyment of their human rights that such violations of their human rights are recognised at this high level," he added.

Homosexuality is still illegal in 76 countries, according to Amnesty International. - Source: AFP

• G_M changed the title to Foreign / Overseas LGBT News - Gay News Outside Singapore (Compiled)
  • fab changed the title to Tokyo just made history by being the largest city in Japan to recognise same-sex partnerships!
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, unlocked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.