Male HQ

Photography Enthusiasts + Photographer's Group (Compiled)

qiange

How was the instagram fair thing?

Oh it was fun haha

Attendance a bit small la, about 12 - 15 people at first, but then it grew to 20 - 30 people.

And there was a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally cute guy haha XDDD

The next event is the 1828 thing lor

I believe they're trying to collaborate with Old School..

"One of the best things about a forum is that it's a place where you can find the most random and outrageous quotes on the internet." - Ghandi

Oh it was fun haha Attendance a bit small la, about 12 - 15 people at first, but then it grew to 20 - 30 people. And there was a reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally cute guy haha XDDD The next event is the 1828 thing lor I believe they're trying to collaborate with Old School..

Haha that one easier to join la, just tag only.

"Well, I didn't know it would come to this but that's what happens when you're on your own."

Haha that one easier to join la, just tag only.

Lol that's cause that one's an exhibition. The event on Saturday was like, a walking around sorta event.

Anyway if you get chosen to present your photos you'll still have to go to the venue to present whaaat lol

"One of the best things about a forum is that it's a place where you can find the most random and outrageous quotes on the internet." - Ghandi

@imchaser -

Ooooo... burn the Godforsaken pic more... like that one.

Mobile suit could do with even more damage! :P

@impere -

You'll be surprised how much one can squeeze out of low-end cameras!

And flash mobs are always easier to join, and generally the quality tend to be lower.

another lolpic for everyone, taken using my lao-kok-kok nokia. hahah.

comaduh.jpg

Instagram @the_meowprince

Guest Marad44

Shoot first, focus later

Photography has certainly made leaps and bounds, first from film to digital, now with cell phones near-comparable to point-and-shoots. But did you ever imagine a day you'd be able to focus a picture after you took it? Well, it's here. Lytro, a Silicon Valley startup, unveiled its light-field camera, also named Lytro, which takes a 3D map of whatever was photographed. That means you can literally refocus long after you've snapped the shot.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20122734-264/lytro-unveils-radical-new-camera-design/?tag=nl.e404

8324426d8db64f859621b3ed457fe540_6.jpg

b6fd899c05e945af8495bb42b68ac542_6.jpg

280142364f8240e081799262d40a3c36_6.jpg

Some of the photos I took today on a trip to Marina Barrage with the 199X people.

Nice. How I wish I have the skills and creativity.

Edited by boyzbe81

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo F. Buscaglia

Nice. How I wish I have the skills and creativity.

The skills and creativity is secondary in photography, in my opinion. It's just how you see things and want things to be captures. Techniques and other thing are just secondary. Just grab your camera (or phone) and just snap away!

"Well, I didn't know it would come to this but that's what happens when you're on your own."

The skills and creativity is secondary in photography, in my opinion. It's just how you see things and want things to be captures. Techniques and other thing are just secondary. Just grab your camera (or phone) and just snap away!

Try to steal some skills (if I could), how do you take the pic with a brighter background than the foreground (if you get what I mean)?

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo F. Buscaglia

Try to steal some skills (if I could), how do you take the pic with a brighter background than the foreground (if you get what I mean)?

That depends on the camera you have. What camera are you going to use?

If i do take photos, it would be my sister Lumix point and shoot camera ba.

If i do take photos, it would be my sister Lumix point and shoot camera ba.

Normally, if it is bright outside. As long as you focus on the items you want to shoot, the background will always be brighter, considering if it's outdoors. I am not some photog guru but you can read up about exposure and stuffs online!

Normally, if it is bright outside. As long as you focus on the items you want to shoot, the background will always be brighter, considering if it's outdoors. I am not some photog guru but you can read up about exposure and stuffs online!

Did you photoshop the pictures or something, as in make little changes to it or it is pure raw from the camera?

Guest Marad44
Some of the photos I took today on a trip to Marina Barrage with the 199X people.
Hi Impere, excellent photos for other aspiring photographers to learn from. What are the EXIF details of each photo?

Guest Marad44

I wanted to take this the other day I went Little India, but it was in the middle of the road! :clap:

Guest Marad44
What are those? I took them using my iPhone.

Almost all digital cameras and smart phones save JPEG files with EXIF (Exchangeable Image File) data.

Camera settings and scene information are recorded by the camera into the image file. Examples of stored information are shutter speed, date and time a photo was taken, focal length, exposure compensation, metering pattern and if a flash was used.

Many camera owners study EXIF to compare successful photos to those that are not. Data provides insight about how camera settings affect photo characteristics such as exposure, depth-of-field and subject movement.

Read: http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/38/what-is-exif/

Both points are inaccurate.

True, you should learn exposure. But in reply to boyzbe's question - the easy way would be to use fill flash. Pop up your camera's flash to light up the people or objects in the foreground. The more accurate approach would be to switch to a spot or centre-weighted meter to shoot it (this point will mean you need to know how your camera works).

Guest Marad44
First one was: ISO80, 3.9mm, f/2.8, 1/207 Second one was: ISO80, 3.9mm, f/2.8, 1/503 Third one was: ISO80, 3.9mm, f/2.8, 1/2742 I think it's just the shutter speed difference in iPhone.
Delighted. Thank you kindly.~ Marad

Guest Marad44
...you should learn exposure.
I find Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure - How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (3rd Edition) well-written and all encompassing. US$ 26, I bought my copy at Riceball Photography Bookstore, Funan

Book review: http://www.randomhouse.com/book/199542/understanding-exposure-3rd-edition-by-bryan-peterson

Book store: http://www.facebook.com/RiceballPhotoBook

Do you have PhotoShop? ;)

Yeap I do.

Both points are inaccurate.

True, you should learn exposure. But in reply to boyzbe's question - the easy way would be to use fill flash. Pop up your camera's flash to light up the people or objects in the foreground. The more accurate approach would be to switch to a spot or centre-weighted meter to shoot it (this point will mean you need to know how your camera works).

In that case, wouldnt the people be brighten up while the foreground becomes dark?

What's centre-weighted meter?

Yeap I do.

In that case, wouldnt the people be brighten up while the foreground becomes dark?

What's centre-weighted meter?

Give us more details on what you want to achieve, eg : are you shooting people in the foreground or a building/object in the foreground. What is the context of your shot? If you are just shooting people in the foreground, fill-flash, properly used, will do the job. So this becomes a case of basic technique (as opposed to some comments to the contrary). More accurate exposure, however, will come with practice and skill.

To borrow an example off a friend's Flickr - this is a case of a reasonably balanced fill-flash (I think he used a D40X)

a>

To get a more balanced picture, fill flash + manual exposure tweaks to retain both the foreground AND underexpose the sunlit background to get nice blue sky and clean buildings will get you this

0855.jpg

In this case, there is no formula. You need to adjust in the conditions present at the time. And that comes with a lot the skill and creativity to get the moment. PhotoShop cannot reproduce something like that.

As for my seemingly strange question w.r.t. PhotoShop, that is the basic tool used on the images at the top of this page. And all tools are only as good as the craftsman. Overdoing the saturation sponging will result in what is often termed "radioactive" or "toxic waste" images. Likewise inaccurate dodging will result in halo around buildings and objects which were underexposed from the get go.

Hope this helps. :)

Maybe I should join you for shoot arounds one of these days and try to pick up some skills OJT. LoL

from the recent outing.... only one person from BW joined, the other stood us up. :angry:

0880.jpg

afterward we drove to a cafe for some food....

0881.jpg

Any interest here for a photo-sharing session? One where we sit around to view one another's photos/prints and share critiques (if anybody wants one).

Hi all, was browsing the forum and came across this thread. There are some pretty nice pictures in here. I have a mild interest in photography too, though of late I have been in a kind of funk (the rain isn't helping either when I want to chase sunsets) lately, maybe I'll have some inspiration looking in here.

Will share some pictures as soon as i discover how to, have no idea how this forum works.