Male HQ

Beautiful & Emo Songs We Remember That Stays With Us (Compiled)

oralb

The critical consensus for Best 2011 Song is M83's Midnight City.

Combine critical adoration with mammoth commercial success and you'll have Adele's Rolling in the Deep as the undeniable Song of the Year. It's hard to argue with the reigning prowess of Rolling in the Deep (although Adele has two songs on her sophomore album that are arguably even better). Yet against all odds, Rolling in the Deep only comes second if we're talking about the song I played the most this year.

My personal favorite is Britney Spears' Til the World Ends. It's the song that best represents my musical taste in 2011.

For me, 2011 will always be the year of party dance music. Never in my life before that I feel that much urge to hit the club and dance like there's no tomorrow. And I don't mean "party dance music" as electropop ala Katy Perry's California Gurls, but I mean straightforward club-ready hits with big fat bass and wacky beats delivered at breakneck speed. And Britney delivers. She delivers her best song to date, and it's fierce: the whole song is a winner, but even that one single moment alone, when the music gets slightly quieter and then she drops the last refrain like a bomb (culminating with complete eargasm around 3:23 in the clip below), is enough to obliterate any other dance anthem from the past few years. Even better in headphone.

Completely blown my head.

This dance scene single-handedly restores my faith in mainstream music after I withdrew to the alternative scene sometime back in the mid-2000s.

Edited by derryfawne

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

I would say the bengs and lians too but I've never heard them sing it so my statement stands.

A better term would be 'music snob'.

Couldn't you have just said "Malays" instead of the term "mats and minahs"?

Are you the next Jason Neo? :rolleyes:

Couldn't you have just said "Malays" instead of the term "mats and minahs"?

Are you the next Jason Neo? :rolleyes:

Now THAT would be racist. But I suppose I could but I'm not a music snob AND a racist.

Not all malays are mat and/or minahs but all mats and minahs are Malay.

Edited by EasleyLim

Mats and minahs are derogatory terms to describe Malays.

You are racist, no doubt about it. :yuk:

So you're saying all malays ARE mats and minahs? Just like how all bengs and lians are chinese?

I will post this again since you've clearly missed it: Not all malays are mat and/or minahs but all mats and minahs are Malay.

So you're saying all malays ARE mats and minahs? Just like how all bengs and lians are chinese?

I will post this again since you've clearly missed it: Not all malays are mat and/or minahs but all mats and minahs are Malay.

Bolded and enlarged since you obviously can't read what you yourself posted. -_-

Since all mats and minahs are Malay, and mats and minahs are derogatory terms to describe Malays, you've effectively insulted the Malays. :rolleyes:

Which part of that did you not understand?

Bolded and enlarged since you obviously can't read what you yourself posted. -_-

Since all mats and minahs are Malay, and mats and minahs are derogatory terms to describe Malays, you've effectively insulted the Malays. :rolleyes:

Which part of that did you not understand?

I see where the problem is. See, you're seeing everything in terms of race while I was looking at it in terms of subculture.

You could avoid this misconception by reading the entire sentence instead of nitpicking the part which you find offense. Take the entire thing in its own context yeah?

The best songs of 2011 has gotta be Hold It Against Me, Till The World Ends, I Wanna Go and Criminal by the one and only, Queen of Pop of this era, BRITNEY SPEARS!

Her latest album, Femme Fatale, has a lot of potential hit singles... Songs like How I Roll, Big Fat Bass, Inside Out, He About To Lose Me, (Drop Dead) Beautiful, Selfish and Seal It With A Kiss are mega awesome too compared to the released singles.

The best songs of 2011 has gotta be Hold It Against Me, Till The World Ends, I Wanna Go and Criminal by the one and only, Queen of Pop of this era, BRITNEY SPEARS! Her latest album, Femme Fatale, has a lot of potential hit singles... Songs like How I Roll, Big Fat Bass, Inside Out, He About To Lose Me, (Drop Dead) Beautiful, Selfish and Seal It With A Kiss are mega awesome too compared to the released singles.

WRONG! The best songs of the year is by the Critically Acclaimed Mega International Dance Diva Superstar, the one and only Queen Sun Ho! Britney can eat her shorts. She was so international she was spotted taking pictures with Chi Chi Larue in twitter.

Edited by imchaser

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

WRONG! The best songs of the year is by the Critically Acclaimed Mega International Dance Diva Superstar, the one and only Queen Sun Ho! She was so international she was spotted taking pictures with Chi Chi Larue in twitter.

International superstar Sun poses with Chi Chi La Rue!

x2815e34.jpg

How about Lana Del Rey, guys ? She's voted best of 2011 Indie Breakthrough.

She's refreshing to hear and stands out among the the mainstreams pops, however, she's too underrated. Many don't know who she is.

She has a unique voice, sounds like mixture of duffy, bjork and late Amy.

I can't stop listening to "born to die", its emotional and a bit sad and her video is so stunning, makes you wanna watch it again and again.

"Don't make me sad, don't make me cry

Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough

I don't know why

Keep making me laugh,

Let's go get high

The road is long, we carry on

Try to have fun in the meantime"

Recently when I watched the Mark Hsui move "The flying sword and dragon gate" and heard the overtune "Dagger Society Prelude 小刀会序曲" played throughout the movie. I was overjoyed, this piece of music reminded me of the days when my parents held my little hands to watch those Wuxia movies.

Recently when I watched the Mark Hsui move "The flying sword and dragon gate" and heard the overtune "Dagger Society Prelude 小刀会序曲" played throughout the movie. I was overjoyed, this piece of music reminded me of the days when my parents held my little hands to watch those Wuxia movies.

I have the CD that you have quoted.

Now, I think you will even miss this piece more.

http://youtu.be/QTVgkxXBfaQ

Check out Booty Sex.

The only reason this song came into public consciousness recently, and is getting traction is the reference to Presidential candidate, Rick Santorum, whose surname, Santorum, was mentioned around 3:20. Santorum has publicly compared, years ago, gay sex to bestiality etc. Activist, Dan Savage, who founded the It gets Better campaign, had then decided to create a neologism to Santorum's last name. If you google the name, Santorum, see what comes up as #1.

Anyway, the word is taking on a new meaning and it is kind of amusing.

Love. 

This track was introduced by an old friend.

我有一个朋友 在这里我们就称他为林

好多年没有见到他了

突然去年来了个长途电话

说是想看某歌星的演唱会

虽然这演唱会的票子很难找

可是我还是想尽了办法找给他

我们约好了在一家咖啡厅见面

当我见到他的时候 我吓了一跳

本来就很瘦的他 现在怎么只剩下了一半

他的头发又干又黄 脸色又发黑

他一直跟我解释说

这一年多来他病了 可是现在好多了

他还带了一盒琵琶给我

说是从台湾特别带给我的

我把琵琶放在车厢后面 却忘了拿出来

几天以后 我打开车厢 发觉琵琶都烂了

过了几个月 台北传来了林的消息 他死了

死以前他不太愿意见任何人

他们都说 他是艾滋病死的

忘了说一件事情就是

那一次林还介绍了一个他的朋友给我认识 叫卢

人长得高高大大的

今年我居然接到了他的电话 又是要看演唱会

虽然和他不熟 可是看在林的份上我还是答应了

可是他居然还要求说我要看哪一天哪一场的

我心里想这个人怎么那么不客气

等他来了香港来拿票的时候

我也不客气地告诉他说

你要晓得这是我找人排队去买的

而且我买不到你要看的那一场 要不要随便你了

当然他还是要了

而且还约我在同一家咖啡厅见面

我不想和他喝咖啡 就说那我们在门口见好了

那天 那天我还迟到了

门口也不能停车 我急得不得了

突然 他敲我的窗子

我摇下了车窗 把票递了出去

卢急急忙忙塞了钱和又是一盒琵琶给我

我连忙说不要了 不要了

可是他已经跑走了

我一抬头看 我居然看到卢魁伟的身子现在只剩下了一半

他急忙地往前跑 身子在风里面飘呀飘的

我愣在那里 许久许久都没有办法动弹

我心里觉得好抱歉 为什么我会对他那么不客气

如果一个演唱会能够带给他快乐和一些美好的回忆

卢 请你不要忘记明年再打电话给我

我真的是觉得好抱歉

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Beautiful songs... can somebody care to translate it or tell me what's is all about. From the MV, seems like it's about 2 ladies falling for the same men and when one of them died, the other one chose to back away from the relationship... correct me if I'm wrong.. I'm a Malay but I enjoyed listening to Chinese songs and this is now one of my fav..

Guest BiLongLong

The title of the song is Last Train.

And in the figurative sense, it's The Last Goodbye, about being there for that someone on his dying bed, sending the person off for his last part of his life journey. The train station symbolizes the pit stop of life and the train hooting the beckoning of death.

From the lyrics, you get that the sense that the person is very ill and battling the sickness has taken its toil on the physical body. So the singer says, it's time for rest, 'cause we come to the world empty-handed anyway. The tiring pain will then be all gone. Don't be sad. Don't look back. Don't worry. It's only that you're making a move first, but we'll promise to meet again, another place and time, and continue just like before.

To love someone deeply is to let that person leave peacefully. This is the key message in the song.

There is no mention of any third party in the song, so I suppose the video is trying to put across both the literal and figurative meaning of the song.

Beautiful songs... can somebody care to translate it or tell me what's is all about. From the MV, seems like it's about 2 ladies falling for the same men and when one of them died, the other one chose to back away from the relationship... correct me if I'm wrong.. I'm a Malay but I enjoyed listening to Chinese songs and this is now one of my fav..

This song was written by a Singaporean composer (melody not lyrics) and sang by a famous visually handicapped Taiwan singer.

It is about 2 girls falling for the same guy (I also like the guy, quite handsome leh haha). Guy was interested in Girl 1 but Girl 2 took the initiative and they finally became an item. Girl 2 also prevented BF from contacting Girl 1. Girl 1 passed away with a terminal illness and she left Girl 2 a letter. The letter said something like this:

"I pondered for a long time whether to tell you this.

I feel that it is better for everyone to know the truth.

I know you two are together and I am not angry with both of you.

It is never possible to say who's right or wrong in a relationship"

Girl 2 cried (maybe remorse) and decided to leave the guy.

There are some beautiful lines in the lyrics. I'll try to translate some:

After we wave goodbye this time, we may not have the opportunity to meet again and and send our regards in person.

For the last time, it is your turn to snuggle in my arms

Don't say anything, don't bring the tears with you

As I look into the mirror, I see your smiling face

Don't turn back, the last train is about to depart

You merely leave first (before me)

Deep love is about letting the person who can't bear to leave departures peacefully

Don't worry, let's set a date to meet up

We'll stroll in the afternoon as always/before

Holding our hands and reminiscing the past

Don't stay back, the last training is about to depart

At the end of the road, turning back is to let the person in your heart leave peacefully.

I was the one who posted the song and I didn't expect our Malay friend to be keen. Glad it interests you. And you are smart, you guessed the story. The translation above is not fantastic but with your IQ I think you will grasp perfectly. I think it is very romantic and sad.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.