Male HQ

Discussion On Planes & Aviation

sgbotl

US carriers have been on a downhill slide for decades ever since deregulation. Slick and stylish are words which can't be used to describe them anymore and in my opinion, 911 was the nail on the coffin. Sure there are a handful of airlines which are profitable (Alaska, Delta, the "new" United) but by and large airlines there are just little islands weight for one merger after another. Introduction of the 777 in the 90s was the last exciting period. After which the A380 craziness has totally bypassed America altogether.

Having done trans-PAC flights on both UA and NW (what other choice do we have in SIN?), the service between the Asian based and US based cabin crew is like night and day.

You can sense the aura of depression as soon as you enter the cabin in NRT for your oceanic crossing after a crew change. No one smiles, service delivery becomes minimal. Flight attendants looked like they just rolled out of bed... All anecdotal, of course.

...You can sense the aura of depression as soon as you enter the cabin in NRT for your oceanic crossing after a crew change. No one smiles, service delivery becomes minimal. Flight attendants looked like they just rolled out of bed... All anecdotal, of course.

Hahah.... Agree. I'll always remember the sour-faced grannies on that one and only time I had to fly NW....my boss told the whole office never to book anyone on Northwest ever again! Not that it mattered, NW got merged away.

Flew UA a couple of times or of Narita as part of a study mission, not as bad, but seriously lacking when compared to SQ or ANA. :(

Anyway, another couple of pics for everyone's enjoyment!

0870.jpg

0871.jpg

0872.jpg

Instagram @the_meowprince

Hahah.... Agree. I'll always remember the sour-faced grannies on that one and only time I had to fly NW....my boss told the whole office never to book anyone on Northwest ever again! Not that it mattered, NW got merged away.

Flew UA a couple of times or of Narita as part of a study mission, not as bad, but seriously lacking when compared to SQ or ANA. :(

Anyway, another couple of pics for everyone's enjoyment!

0870.jpg

0871.jpg

0872.jpg

OK, all of you...

Asian carriers are the best, I have to recognize! :rolleyes:

Nice they use more and more European planes... ;)

MeowPrince: nice shots, as usual, but Swissair MD 11 reminds me of Swissair 111 stupid accident, which started SWR fall :(

Omg... The Ansett "Spaceship" brings back so many memories! Beautiful plane it was in that colour scheme. It was a sad day when Ansett collapsed because they were so much better than QF service wise. Ansett died on my birthday too.

Yes, Swissair was one of the many greats people never expected to fail - pretty much like Pan Am. But SR111 wasn't the only thing which killed the airline. The whole SABENA debacle plus 9-11 was what I felt gave SR their final blow and causes their collapse - and as a consequence caused Belgium to lose their national airline too.

Omg... The Ansett "Spaceship" brings back so many memories! Beautiful plane it was in that colour scheme. It was a sad day when Ansett collapsed because they were so much better than QF service wise. Ansett died on my birthday too.

Yes, Swissair was one of the many greats people never expected to fail - pretty much like Pan Am. But SR111 wasn't the only thing which killed the airline. The whole SABENA debacle plus 9-11 was what I felt gave SR their final blow and causes their collapse - and as a consequence caused Belgium to lose their national airline too.

You are right, SR 111 was just a starter; hazardous investments (surprising for a Swiss company!) , unclear strategy and a too small domestic market did the rest.

Comparable causes for Sabena, but they had no accident during this period.

Well, we'll have stories to tell to our grandchildren... ;)

Curiously, why does the AN 743 have yellow engine nacelles? I do not recall them ever carrying such a paint scheme. The only rare moment the colour scheme was altered was when SQ took back that plane for maintenance and in replacement, was another BIG TOP with full SQ colours but an Ansett painted vertical stabilizer.

Lol. This batch were pretty yellowed and old planes, compared to the SQ ones. And from a different collector. This guy just left his whole collection sitting on a bookshelf collecting sun rays and dust bunnies! Even the CX plane was yellowing away. :(

Here are more of the promised pics too!

0887.jpg

0877.jpg

0878.jpg

0879.jpg

Instagram @the_meowprince

Lol. This batch were pretty yellowed and old planes, compared to the SQ ones. And from a different collector. This guy just left his whole collection sitting on a bookshelf collecting sun rays and dust bunnies! Even the CX plane was yellowing away. :(

Here are more of the promised pics too!

0879.jpg

Wow! Did you ever fly a DC 3?

Great photos as usual meowprince! :)

The Alaska plane actually gets yellow quite quickly.. Probably partly due to the paint as well. I have one, kept in a box and it still yellowed after a while. I think the new ones should be okay though. The white they use on the Alaska planes is a lot brighter now!

The SQ food you posted looked pretty good too! Just got off a flight earlier and the food (sq also) was bleagh. Oh well, Luck of the draw I guess!

No lah, No old enough to experience them. I only shoot for friends and collect the photos.

Well, some Dakotas were still flying not so long ago, generally as collection vintage planes, but with certificates of airworthiness allowing public passenger transport.

I have been lucky enough for flying 2 different ones...

And, as always, thanks and congratulations for your photos!

Guest marineboy

Just sharing..

Some years back SQ did sell a 737 to AirAlaska...

The paintwork was taking place in the hangar....trying to figure out what the tail would look like.

Hmm those days no Google ok :D

The reveal was awesome...

Unfortunately years later the same plane crashed in the US.

hi guys, forgive me for bringing up another crash..

Today is the 11th anniversary of SQ006. I believe all of us remember that fateful night. Perhaps some of us were enjoying a night out with friends, at home, or at work when we got the news: SQ 747 crashed in Taipei. In disbelief, we rushed to the nearest television or computer to check if it was real, hoping against hope that it was some sort or hoax, perhaps a cruel prank by our friends who gave us the news. But it was not, and our fears were realised when we saw the burning wreckage, twisted and broken in three pieces, lying in the middle of Runway 05R of Chiang Kai-shek International Airport, an image forever seared into our memory.

Then it came out, the plane had taken off from the wrong runway. We asked ourselves, how could this be? This was SQ afterall, and so we stayed up late, glued to the television, taking in every picture and word broadcast over repeated segments of breaking news, trying to piece together the puzzle of what went wrong. We remember the drama, when a man whose son was on the flight interrupted the press conference, demanding an answer to the madness of what had happened. He was visibly distaught and calmed down only after the spokesman comforted him; he gave him a hug - it was a scene of warmth in the midst of grief and pain, emotions that would be experienced by us as a nation over the months to come..

On this 11th anniversary, let us also take time to remember the heroes among the crew, Lead Stewardess Ms Irene Ang Miau Lee who died after going back to the rescue trapped passengers, and Ms Farzana Abdul Razak, a new stewardess (she was just 18 at the time) who stayed to help passengers escape the wreckage, eventually getting badly burned. SQ006 and the 83 souls that went with you.. RIP.. You will forever be in our hearts.

PS: While googling for articles on Farzana, I managed to find a recent picture of her here: http://www.tnp.sg/content/then-and-now-unmasking-new-me She looks great! Still as beautiful as any SIA stewardess with a smile that can light up anyones day. Does anyone know if she is still flying with SIA?

I was living in Australia then when the accident happened. I had a colleague who perished in that accident. I had Australian colleagues who casually mentioned the crash like it was just another and the conversation caught my attention. I was like "what did you say?!"...

News slowly trickled into the Aussie news network and I just stared in disbelief. And then the horrid news that one of our colleagues was on that flight and didn't survive.

What irked me was how preventable the entire episode was. Failure to check on both sides (pilots and ATC) all led to a perfect recipe for disaster.

So many lapses resulted in the loss of lives and permanent traumatization of hundreds of others.

I can only sigh with empathy.

I was living in Australia then when the accident happened. I had a colleague who perished in that accident. I had Australian colleagues who casually mentioned the crash like it was just another and the conversation caught my attention. I was like "what did you say?!"...

News slowly trickled into the Aussie news network and I just stared in disbelief. And then the horrid news that one of our colleagues was on that flight and didn't survive.

What irked me was how preventable the entire episode was. Failure to check on both sides (pilots and ATC) all led to a perfect recipe for disaster.

So many lapses resulted in the loss of lives and permanent traumatization of hundreds of others.

I can only sigh with empathy.

Agree with you.

If my memory is correct, besides the pilots urge to take-off (bad weather or typhoon arriving or something like that), lots of other factors contributed:

Lamps and signals out of order in the airport

No barrier or stop at the threshold of the wrong runway

ATC unable to check the aircraft position when they cleared them for take-off (no ground radar and bad visibility)

Awful event, but please remember than this kind of accident happens only one time out of 10 millions.

It's still safer to board a plane than to drive 100 kms.

Today, I would take Singapore airlines without any hesitation (in fact, I did it...).

Amazing 767 just landed at Warsaw airport on its belly. Everyone safe. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: To the pilot and the aircraft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-15543315

Therefore...every landing you walk off is considered a good landing..no need to complain...wah so hard/ backside pain landing :yuk: hahahaha

I am sure most of you would know Murphy's Law.

Regarding Flight 006 crash....so many things could have gone right....but somehow things unfolded they way they did....boils down to fate really. Some may say it is written :blink:

So all prevention must be taken....you allow just a possibility of a small lapse....Murphy will somehow take it. :huh:

Even in the above 767 belly landing...they prob foamed the runway...the end result is not guaranteed its the pilot skill...grd preperation and some good fortune needed for a sucessful ending :clap:

Edited by Marineboy

Amazing 767 just landed at Warsaw airport on its belly. Everyone safe. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: To the pilot and the aircraft.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-15543315

Well, ok for the pilots, but about the aircraft (design, airworthiness or maintenance), let's wait maybe for the results of the investigation?

Anyway, this shows that even when things go wrong, there are lots of safety margins in aviation.

Well, ok for the pilots, but about the aircraft (design, airworthiness or maintenance), let's wait maybe for the results of the investigation?

Anyway, this shows that even when things go wrong, there are lots of safety margins in aviation.

FYI the aeroplane has a keel beam on it's belly designed to take such a landing.

The runways is usually foamed before you come in for landing if you do have the luxury of time n fuel on your side.

Usually it is recommended to land on available gears....unless it's not safe to do so as deicded by the flying crew,

Such landings will create lots of sparks...hence foaming helps a great deal. Not forgetting the fuel tanks on the wing/fuselage area...element of luck plays a part.

FYI the aeroplane has a keel beam on it's belly designed to take such a landing.

The runways is usually foamed before you come in for landing if you do have the luxury of time n fuel on your side.

Usually it is recommended to land on available gears....unless it's not safe to do so as deicded by the flying crew,

Such landings will create lots of sparks...hence foaming helps a great deal. Not forgetting the fuel tanks on the wing/fuselage area...element of luck plays a part.

Thanks for these infos

In spite of your nick, you seem to be as competent with planes as with ships? ^_^

I agree, foam helps, and you generally have time and fuel (regulatory fuel reserves), but you need to be quite horizontal and have a correct pitch when you touch. If not, even when you have jettisoned your fuel, bad things might happen...And about landing with available gears, if they are dissymetric, well, I wouldn't like that :wacko: .

You are right, a little bit of luck may be helpful...

I was lucky enough when I landed without gear one day (and I was not the pilot in command during this landing). Never again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TM-1tOVAf0&feature=player_embedded

Check out this video from inside the plane. The touchdown was no worse than a bumpy landing and the cabin was surprising quiet during the roll out. Kudos to the pilot :clap:

SQ006 was like the perfect swiss cheese model of an aircraft accident.. bad weather, pilots rushing for time, inadaquate atc facilities, no proper closing of runway, pilots failure to double check, sigh.. like every accident it would have not happened if any link in the chain of events was not in place.. and if the load had been lighter, maybe it would have only been a close shave :(

Edited by sgbotl

• 2 weeks later...

AWESOME THREAD!

I've been a plane nut since I was 5 (20 now) and plan to sign on with RSAF or just go into airlines if that doesn't work. Got like 130+ Herpa/Shabak models and counting :D

Anyways, a little contribution from my side to the photo side of the thread :P

ed-force-one.jpg

The greatest plane on Earth, visited Changi in Feb ;)

AWESOME THREAD!

I've been a plane nut since I was 5 (20 now) and plan to sign on with RSAF or just go into airlines if that doesn't work. Got like 130+ Herpa/Shabak models and counting :D

Anyways, a little contribution from my side to the photo side of the thread :P

ed-force-one.jpg

The greatest plane on Earth, visited Changi in Feb ;)

Nice pic! Are you into aviation photography too? :)

Its not my picture btw, taken from the google search haha. Well I should be probably, but thanks to A levels I don't have much time to go out... Thankfully, ending soon :D

OMG! Yes I am! One of my dreams is to learn how to fly a plane! But I think it's wishful thinking... I wear specs but worse still, I'm color blind!

Like that fly simulator can liao lah :whistle:

Anyone tired the one at the singapore Flyer?...a couple of hundred bucks gets you a shot at it. I read it in some brochure.

Some people pay to ride in or go for a spin in a super sports car...so why not. Lunarstone go for it :thumb:

Guest Lunarstone

Like that fly simulator can liao lah :whistle:

Anyone tired the one at the singapore Flyer?...a couple of hundred bucks gets you a shot at it. I read it in some brochure.

Some people pay to ride in or go for a spin in a super sports car...so why not. Lunarstone go for it :thumb:

Eeee! Not realistic one!

Eeee! Not realistic one!

Har?? This one is as close to the real thing as it gets....the sim costs $millions...you sure you tried it bfore?

Ok the graphics on the older ones not too great...with the motion working i think it should be as close to the real stuff.

Well tests and certification are conducted on these...sims fyi

However if you tried it and feel the same....what can i say :o;)

Guest Lunarstone

Har?? This one is as close to the real thing as it gets....the sim costs $millions...you sure you tried it bfore?

Ok the graphics on the older ones not too great...with the motion working i think it should be as close to the real stuff.

I still prefer actually sitting in the cockpit with a flying instructor beside me. It just feels right? :unsure:

Marineboy, the one at Singapore Flyer no motion de... My friend works there

I still prefer actually sitting in the cockpit with a flying instructor beside me. It just feels right? :unsure:

Lunarstone, wearing spec is ok, but definitely not color blind. You can go for joy ride in other countries, thts the closest you can get I guess.

There are a few shops in Hong Kong selling die-cast airplane models.

There is one at Prudential Centre, just above Jordan MTR station called ToyMaxCo.

There is one at Pioneer Centre, near to Prince Edward MTR station called Aeroshop.

But the mother of all die-cast airplane model shops must be WestMainToys http://www.westmaintoys.com/

You can see how to get there by clicking on Contact Us.

WestMainToys is on the same floor as Aeroshop, but I suggest going to WestMainToys first, and be prepared to be blown away.

(PS: Their website Search function does not show even a fraction of what they really have.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hobby Focus is a cool store! Used to go quite often esp as a schoolboy. :) Don't quite like how the planes are all close to the door and the passageway can be pretty narrow though! I remember there was this once when some collector decided to sell a whole bunch of planes back to the store and those without boxes were sold for really cheap. Managed to get a few 1:400 scale Herpa planes for 20 bucks - what a steal!

Am so happy to have discovered this thread! I've been a commercial plane junkie since a kid. Lived in northern Penang and used to keep track of the planes departing north/arriving from north. I dilligently kept a log of date, time and position in sky that the plane flew by. It became kinda obsessive. As Penang wasn't really an international hub, the number and types of aircraft, flights and airlines flying over my home were limited. So when I came over to study in S'pore in early secondary school, it opened up a whole world of plane spotting for me - B747s, DC10s, IL62s (Aeroflot), etc etc - aircraft I could not dream of seeing flying over before. It was paradise! I used to be able to identify certain aircraft types just from the noise of their engines overhead, especially the DC10s and the Illusyins - both very noisy.

Of course, there were just too many planes flying in and out of Changi for a log to be kept. Besides, unlike in the past, when the flight paths for aircraft arriving from the north (during the north-east monsoon period) would be over Bt Timah, Farrer Rd, Holland Rd before turning east past the city centre, the new flight paths are now over the sea to the west, so one hardly gets to see a plane directly overhead - so sad!

Nonetheless, till today, I'll never fail to turn my head up to look at a plane in the sky, no matter what type.

And of course, my favourite television programme: Air Crash Investigation. Favourites episode was the Air Transat A330 flight from Toronto to Lisbon that totally ran out of fuel and made a powerless glide down onto a military runway at Azores - fantastic! A comparable classic was the FedEx plane taking off from Baghdad that was hit in the wing by a missile causing a hydraulic leakage that disabled rudder, flaps and allerons. The plane had to manoeuvre back to Baghdad by a skillful manipulation of the left and right engines of the aircraft to turn and control speed.

Hope one day to have a plane-spotting outing with all you guys!

• 1 month later...
  • Guest locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic