Male HQ

Discussion on Retirement For Older Gay + Life @ 50, 68 & Beyond + Retire With No Worries (Compiled)

skylancer

Guest Raiden Alpha

Most of them should have play and sown enough oats by then to live out their remaining years in secular peace and mundanity. Those who persists will only be ridicule and risk dying in saunas or parks in an attempt to cruise while braving the harsh elements and biting cold winds of the night.. (It had happen before quite a few time both overseas and here)

For those who choose to pursue a life of spiritual attainment in monastery those are actually rich folks to begin with. It takes financial security to seek long term asylum in Singapore temples..

Spend most of the time in Library - Air con.  Visit MP for some allowance. Go for free old folks event organized by garment. Go to temple. Do some planting in HDB garden. Sit in the garden. Play chess in Chinatown. If have extra money, pay a visit to Sauna and relax. I met a 70 years old man in sauna and he is better than me.. 

Most of them should have play and sown enough oats by then to live out their remaining years in secular peace and mundanity. Those who persists will only be ridicule and risk dying in saunas or parks in an attempt to cruise while braving the harsh elements and biting cold winds of the night.. (It had happen before quite a few time both overseas and here)

For those who choose to pursue a life of spiritual attainment in monastery those are actually rich folks to begin with. It takes financial security to seek long term asylum in Singapore temples..

Why does one need to be financially well off to seek spiritual attainment? If a monastery need to see how deep ur pocket is rather than how deep ur spiritual commitment is then the bank is a more enlightened place for u.

One should cultivate a spiritual life (not to be confused with being religious) from a young age and not when one is termed 'old'. People don't just wake up one morning to find themselves 70 years old. We adjust our lives as we live from day to day and year to year. If we are willing to let go of the past, we'll certainly be able to live at any age gracefully with dignity.

Guest Raiden Alpha

Why does one need to be financially well off to seek spiritual attainment? If a monastery need to see how deep ur pocket is rather than how deep ur spiritual commitment is then the bank is a more enlightened place for u.

One should cultivate a spiritual life (not to be confused with being religious) from a young age and not when one is termed 'old'. People don't just wake up one morning to find themselves 70 years old. We adjust our lives as we live from day to day and year to year. If we are willing to let go of the past, we'll certainly be able to live at any age gracefully with dignity.

Because I know of these types of people in Singapore nunneries and temples. Unless one is willing to become a full on disciple of said religion and commit themselves to rigid precepts and ways of life then yes money is not a deciding factor.

But for those(俗家弟子) who only wish to be seek asylum in religious abodes with nice vegan meals and a aircon room to find god n inner peace in their own pace and not subjected to rules set up by the temples one need to made generous donations and alms to their hosts.

Many well off sons/daughters of rich men and spinsters who have given up on love choose this path in the end.

Actually, have all of us who are gay thought of what we should do when we pass on without children to handle our after affairs? Yes, we won't know if we actually died rotting in bed. But do we really want that? And adoption of children for such purposes is inhumanr, and adoptions for gays in Singapore not possible too. Any thoughts, anyone?

Live with BF like a normal straight couple till death.

Guest late 20s

hopefully when im 68, i will have my adopted gay children or even ivf children look after me and my partner. i long for that day it will be possible in singapore!

Guest 仙人掌

Spend most of the time in Library - Air con.  Visit MP for some allowance. Go for free old folks event organized by garment. Go to temple. Do some planting in HDB garden. Sit in the garden. Play chess in Chinatown. If have extra money, pay a visit to Sauna and relax. I met a 70 years old man in sauna and he is better than me.. 

I read your post (about bubble tea investment): 

亮出你的D.O.B and T.O.B. 老师帮你稍微看看你是否适合投资。

1. You can edit or delete after you posted. So, no need to worry. 
2. If you do not want to disclose, it is alright.
3. If you reply me with queries without your DOB/TOB, I can't help you anymore.

Actually, have all of us who are gay thought of what we should do when we pass on without children to handle our after affairs? Yes, we won't know if we actually died rotting in bed. But do we really want that? And adoption of children for such purposes is inhumanr, and adoptions for gays in Singapore not possible too. Any thoughts, anyone?

I feel there is no need to think too much...just live your life well.

Even str8 parents may not have their children to tend to them as they eventually have their own kids n life to manage as well.

Some of us die suddenly too in accidents or in sickness.......life is such.

We should make some preperations to make sure we don't leave a mess for others around us when we pass on.

Treat your nephew and nieces like they are your own...I am sure they will appreciate and love you as well.

Have some good close friends around treasure them like you treasure your bf etc etc.

Do what you want and what you think you need do. So when the time comes ,,,,,just let it be.

Just think if you were to leave this world tmrw are you ready for it.

When I was a kid, one of my aunt told us kids not to anyhow give our Chinese date of birth and especially not reveal our Time of birth to strangers. She says, because they can do Gong Tao on you and later make ur listen to them and ask you do bad with the info they have on your birthday and time.

Is it true?

I am 59 and glad being still alive. But fear the end is near....as body is slowing down..

Luckily i am still employed without any laid off all my working life.

Now i enjoyed being wiser over my smarter & more intelligent younger colleagues. Sad that i was once young too but thats life.

I dont think i have enough savings but if i outlived my last penny, just cross the bridge when it come.

My erection is still strong every morning and wank twice a week.

My life took a turn for the better after my divorce and having diagnosed with chronic disease. Dare not stop taking daily medication.

Looking back, i missed all my siblings and family. Friends come & gone.

I am my only companion. Being myself and lonelness kept me going.

59 but we want to hear from ppl who are 68 and above.Do old gay go void deck to play chess too or carry birdie to park and  past the remaining time?

• 7 months later...
Guest Guest

i am 38 and would like to retire at 50 , the max is 55

can you guys share

You better get back to your topic of what to become in next life. Daydreamer.

Actually you can retire at any age you wishes to as long as you have enough reserves to last you till your expiry date.

Also, for the reserves, it depends whether you want to still maintain the same lifestyle when you retire or live frugally

Assuming you need $3,000 every month, provided your accomodation is already taken care of, you will need $36,000 annually.

Say , you expect to live another 30 years after retirement so, $36,000 x 30 = $1.080,000.

Add in inflation and incidental medical expenses and old age medical care, you would need to have at least $1.3 - 1.4m to retire happily.

If you can live on just $2,000 monthly, then it would be about $900,000 for next 30 years.

Actually you can retire at any age you wishes to as long as you have enough reserves to last you till your expiry date.

Also, for the reserves, it depends whether you want to still maintain the same lifestyle when you retire or live frugally

Assuming you need $3,000 every month, provided your accomodation is already taken care of, you will need $36,000 annually.

Say , you expect to live another 30 years after retirement so, $36,000 x 30 = $1.080,000.

Add in inflation and incidental medical expenses and old age medical care, you would need to have at least $1.3 - 1.4m to retire happily.

If you can live on just $2,000 monthly, then it would be about $900,000 for next 30 years.

The problem he's 38 and want to retire at 50. That left him 12 years to accumulate $900,000 which means he needs to save $75000 per year or $6250 per month for the next 12 years. Is this saving amount per month possible for him?

The problem he's 38 and want to retire at 50. That left him 12 years to accumulate $900,000 which means he needs to save $75000 per year or $6250 per month for the next 12 years. Is this saving amount per month possible for him?

He will have savings and lots of cpf by 38. Dont discount that info in ur computation

Guest build your eggs

I have a 4 room HDB fully paid.

Taking public transport.

Few endowment insurance and live insurance policies fully paid.

Few hundreds K of equities and half a mil of cash.

I'm 45 now. Can I retired? May I can. But what would I do after my retirement? Surfing/ koping around/keep fit like the 82 yr old aussie/ charity works/ etc......

Guess b4 we asked at what age we wanna to retire, maybe those that already successfully retired and stay happy and healthy guys, can give us few pointers here on what to prepare b4 retirement and what to expect after retirement.

Guest Guest

My HK friend retires at 32 , a full time housewife now after earning loads of money in the finance sector ,taking care of kids n doing bachelor for interest .....lives in condo with cars .....for those female who are still working after 50 are a hopeless lot ...those with husband , the husband is a real hopeless failure too ........

Guest Guest

I have a 4 room HDB fully paid.

Taking public transport.

Few endowment insurance and live insurance policies fully paid.

Few hundreds K of equities and half a mil of cash.

I'm 45 now. Can I retired? May I can. But what would I do after my retirement? Surfing/ koping around/keep fit like the 82 yr old aussie/ charity works/ etc......

Guess b4 we asked at what age we wanna to retire, maybe those that already successfully retired and stay happy and healthy guys, can give us few pointers here on what to prepare b4 retirement and what to expect after retirement.

Wah you are richer than me. :D

But if I carry on working till your age, I think I can achieve what you are having too.

I think instead of retiring full time, why not start with slowing down by semi retiring first? You will still be working, but not that hard. At the same time, you can start doing or learning the things that you like but do not have the time or energy to do when working full time, and also to start planning for full retirement. But all these can only be achieved with careful financial planning since young.

I would think that early forties would be my desired age to semi retire. And I would like to retire in my mid fifty.

He may already have some investments, a tidy savings account and a substantial CPF balance so not neccessary to accumulate another 900K but the difference instead.

But please do note that you cannot make any cash withdrawal from CPF till 55 and another Minimum Sum of I think $120,000 need to be set aside as Retirement Account.

So to retire at 50 means you will need to spend on your savings till 55 to touch your CPF money.

If retirement means having to stop work, then I don't wish to retire. Having tried to stay unemployed twice before, having nothing meaningful to do is most debilitating mentally.

Retirement don't really means you have to stop working altogether and at stay at home doing nothing.

Meaningful retirement means you can quit that 9 to 5 daily routine, no more impossible datelines and office politics, no more stressful duties and results.

Then embark on something you really enjoy doing and do it at you own time and target, go for your overseas holidays anytime you wish, all without any financial worries.

Guest Early Retiremnt

I think the desirable retirement age would probably be, at least for me, either 55yo or 60yo. One major assumption to make is you should not have any outstanding loan of any kind when you retire, plus ideally, you should have a passive income to finance your retirement. Of course, the critical question is how to achieve this?

Do not rely on your CPF savings to finance your retirement. This is because CPF rules and regulations on withdrawals change almost every year. By whatever means, it is best to finance your retirement with a passive income and sufficient cash at bank. How much is enough for retirement has been a question asked donkey times, and actually is a very subjective question because what is enough for you, may not be enough for me or others. Taking current CPI as a norm, you should live reasonably well with about $2,000 a month. Additional sums if you would like to plan for overseas holidays once or twice a year. If you spend less than $2,000 in a single month, then you can reward yourself with this extra savings or roll them over towards the end of the year in order to have a more enjoyable and longer holidays.

For those who are thinking of retiring in their mid forties, think about how are you going to spend time. Most of your friends would still be working, and you will be quite bored after couple of months. You need to find something to do so as to pass time, otherwise, retiring early and then end up being bored to death is also a suffering.

I took a 1.5yrs break in my early forties, and. I started to get bored after a year. And during that year, I spent my time traveling to Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar, etc, spending 3-4 weeks in each country to experience their life. After 1.3 years, I started looking for a job, not because I ran out of cash, but I feel bored. Because I wasn't really need a job so I am not pressured and hard pressed to accept an offer. Instead, I was a little choosy which job to apply for. In the end, I accepted a job through recommendation from a Job Search Company. My current job wasn't as pressuring as my previous and yet I meet new friends and can save more for my retirement plan.

If I can, I will retire at age 55yo, so that I can enjoy myself for the next five years till I reach 60yo. These are the times when we still can afford to enjoy life both financially and physically, doing what we like to do and eating what we like to eat. After 60yo, I will then be more carefull on my health condition as this the time that the health condition for most of us will deteriorate.

However, I know it's easier said then done for most people including myself.

I start to plan at the age 40 to retire...

At age 45 official retire due to family issue.

I think it take a lot of guts and determination to "shave off" the want and focus on the basis need.

Friends and social circle reduce to 2 pax - my lover and best friend.

Cut down entertain bill from $250 to $50, from other like telecommunication ($150 to $59), membership($1xx to $0), insurance ($220 to $0), and entertainment eg Haircut ($250 to $10).

Somehow I got nightmare and sleepless night of "unnecessary worries" - how to survive....bcz I never experience before.

Sell away electronic gadget, collection watch, branded clothing and bags - about S$2.5K

Rent out my common room.

Cut down brew coffe to packet kopi o.

Cut down breakfast to Kopitiam set $2 daily.

Drink plenty of H2O instead of fruit juice and drink.

Wear black T-shirt and short daily

At home - shirtless with underwear.

Cut down travelling to alternate day to weekend.

Hope that will help.

ps : I more healthy then before...tks to water and less food intake...from 75kg to 59kg and more alive.

Guest semi retiring

Retirement don't really means you have to stop working altogether and at stay at home doing nothing.

Meaningful retirement means you can quit that 9 to 5 daily routine, no more impossible datelines and office politics, no more stressful duties and results.

Then embark on something you really enjoy doing and do it at you own time and target, go for your overseas holidays anytime you wish, all without any financial worries.

Yes, agree! :)

And I think many of us here who are thinking of early retirement are either sick of our work or cannot find any meaning in working hard since we most probably will not have children to raise up or inherit our wealth.

May I propose, instead of planning for early retirement, why not take a break from work like some of the posters here to experience life for a year or two, and then go back to work stronger after the break? But bear in mind that all these will be at the expense of possible promotion and pay raise.

It is also good to hold a job that allows you to work freelance if you feel bored working in an organisation one day, such as teaching, hairstyling, designing, massaging etc.

And pls do take care of your health as young as possible. I disagree with one poster here who wants to start caring for his health only at 60. This is too late. In fact, at age forty onwards, men's health will start to deteriorate sharply. And whatever bad things you did to your health during your youth will start coming back to haunt you. Pls bear in mind that health is the greatest wealth, poor health can really rip away your hard earned money in a short time. I am sure no one wants to retire early and not to be able to enjoy life due to illness right?

So guys, stay healthy, happy, active... learn a skill that can help you earn money even after you quit... earn as much as possible when young... spend and invest your money wisely... all these will help you fulfill your dream of an early retirement. :)

I am 28yo this and i think i will semi retire end of this year and go back to malaysia and start an organic farm (which is my hobby).

Guest Light a bulb

Many people think they can retire early.  If you have half a million and retired  but you still live for another 30-40 years, well...mid way you will be going back to work and chained to the oar again.

Have our gay community ever think of forming a joint-venture business where everyone chip in a little, set up a viable company (pending idea) and get every gay to work in there (work-life-balance) in a non stressful style so that everyone can live like family within the same company for as long as they live while earning income enough for sustenance and medical (company can buy hospitalisation/insurance for them)?   The above is just a proposal which can be administered by trusted social welfare group (without having to rely on calculative govt).

I do know christian has their own group to help their own religion people.  Gay people can do likewise, strictly employ gay people.  This will provide avenue to gay students on school holiday, old gay folks needing a job to past time, and gay still in-between jobs.  Such company provide a stepping stone or prolong income for those who are jobless.

We may not have a gay-only apartment hub, but gay-only company is the best option in a tighly knitted gay community and everyone is a shareholders in some ways.

Guest gay guy

Have our gay community ever think of forming a joint-venture business where everyone chip in a little, set up a viable company (pending idea) and get every gay to work in there (work-life-balance) in a non stressful style so that everyone can live like family within the same company for as long as they live while earning income enough for sustenance and medical (company can buy hospitalisation/insurance for them)? The above is just a proposal which can be administered by trusted social welfare group (without having to rely on calculative govt).

We may not have a gay-only apartment hub, but gay-only company is the best option in a tighly knitted gay community and everyone is a shareholders in some ways.

Great idea! :)

But a little too idealistic. Gay community tightly knitted? I doubt so. When you put gay men together, they will either lust after one another or bitch about one another. Even an all-Christian environment is not as closely knitted as most people may have perceived.

Fantastic ideas, what services or products this coy wanna to provide???

Employ gay only or have gay as their primary customers will be too restricted. ( we want to reach out to all in the community if possible).

Run a hostel or small backpack resort like ymca???

Business Plan

1. Investors: (minimum 100k) 5mil to 10 mil capital for a start.

2. Location: Chinatown area/ Balestier area??

3. Target audiences::

4. Profit sharing among all employees.....

• G_M changed the title to Discussion on Retirement For Older Gay + Life @ 50, 68 & Beyond + Retire With No Worries (Compiled)
  • G_M locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic