Male HQ

How Much Do You Guys Make? All On Pay & Salary Compiled!

Guest Roger

I can't really tell, but from your description of working 14 hours a day, you must look like f'ck. You worry so much about piling up your gold, you don't have to worry about post retirement, cos with all that wear and tear your body's chance of making it to your 50s is severely slashed. As for your patronizing attitude, I only wish you're not an sss in real life as you appear to be behind the keyboard. Otherwise, my condolences to your life partner.

FattChoy88, from your comment on my working hours, I don't think u understand what it takes to make it, financially speaking.

It is very consistent among those high-flyers or business man/woman, the number of hours they put in daily when they were young. I, no longer put this hour now that things are in place. The point is, u need to plant those seeds when u r young and reap it later. This is my msg to the younger generation.

As for my patronizing attitude, my msg is for those who hear me and take my advise seriously. Clearly, u r not the one I am trying to reach.

There are basically 3 groups of people. Those who do not listen to me, those who listen to me, and those who listen to me and put it into practice. The difference is self explanatory.

I hv buddy who is doing training. He was making around $3,000/ mth. He likes to hv kopi and supper with me and discuss abt his business. Every time, I offered my candid opinions. He took them all in and executed effectively. He is now making more than $30,000 monthly. We still meet up quite often and I realize he learned the way I think and execute many initiatives on his own. Now, his business is doing well and the media has been interviewing him. His company won several local awards recently.

My msg is the least patronizing of all. It may offend some or it may give others a wake up call. It is up to you to decide.

As of my partner, he is much more successful than I am and he is a bigger 'sss' than me. Not to worry, I am nothing compare to him.

Edited by lohwpr

Hi all, if you feel depressed reading the wake up call from lohwpr - and he really makes sense, if you subscribe to his philosophy - don't despair. There's this thing called middle ground.

Caveats first though. What lohwpr said is right. If you're in your mid-30s to 40s and you're earning $2K-$4K a month, you're fxxked. It's true. But it doesn't mean that to survive the wilderness of Singapore, you must earn a 6 figure monthly salary. No, you don't need to. And you don't need to work like a dog. You can coast along and still live comfortably.

I've done my sums. The ideal monthly salary (and you exclude 13 month bonus etc etc) you should hopefully earn is SGD$7,000.

Let's assume you are 40 years old.

So, here goes:

Monthly salary $7,000.

Minus CPF = $1,400.

Take home = $5,600.

I assume you own a HDB 3-room flat. And I assume you use CPF to pay off the monthly instalment to the bank.

With a take home pay of $5,600,

Save 20% in a savings plan. Which is $1,120 a month.

You save 20% for rainy day, which is also $1,120 a month.

You're left with $3,360 a month.

Your utility bills, say $100. Pittance.

Your food, say $1,000.

Your transport (by bus / MRT/ taxi), say $400

Your insurance, say $500

Your mother / father, say $500

You still have leftover for that A&F shirt or that Y-3 jacket.

So, your savings plan = $1,120 a month. If you continue putting money in this savings plan for the next 20 years til you're 60, you'll have $268,800. And that's only the principal. You haven't included the interest you earn. Depending on the savings plan you've bought, you can easily have a total sum by the time you're 60 at around $500,000.

When you're 60, do you need to spend money on Armani jeans? Or live simply? Live simply, $500,000 can help you through 10 years.

Even the $1,120 you've saved each month, by 50, you'll have saved $134,400. That will be your downpayment for a property in KL which u will rent out for investment.

Will you be a millionaire? No. But will you die penniless? No either.

lohwpr, how did you work 2 jobs? is that possible if you were working under other people as employee?

even my current job consumes 10-12 hours on average, that i find it hard to do anything else after work everyday

Guest FattChoy88

You're missing the point and deliberately steer away from mine.

Well it's obvious your feet is not the only thing floating around, your ego is aloft too with all the hot air you're spewing out.

Not familiar with work-life balance?

Then let me rephrase, You work harder and longer, you die earlier.

Get it?

You still haven't answer my question.

14 hours a day for 20 years...do you look like f'ck now?

FattChoy88, from your comment on my working hours, I don't think u understand what it takes to make it, financially speaking.

It is very consistent among those high-flyers or business man/woman, the number of hours they put in daily when they were young. I, no longer put this hour now that things are in place. The point is, u need to plant those seeds when u r young and reap it later. This is my msg to the younger generation.

As for my patronizing attitude, my msg is for those who hear me and take my advise seriously. Clearly, u r not the one I am trying to reach.

There are basically 3 groups of people. Those who do not listen to me, those who listen to me, and those who listen to me and put it into practice. The difference is self explanatory.

I hv buddy who is doing training. He was making around $3,000/ mth. He likes to hv kopi and supper with me and discuss abt his business. Every time, I offered my candid opinions. He took them all in and executed effectively. He is now making more than $30,000 monthly. We still meet up quite often and I realize he learned the way I think and execute many initiatives on his own. Now, his business is doing well and the media has been interviewing him. His company won several local awards recently.

My msg is the least patronizing of all. It may offend some or it may give others a wake up call. It is up to you to decide.

As of my partner, he is much more successful than I am and he is a bigger 'sss' than me. Not to worry, I am nothing compare to him.

Now, "Applepie" claims that "if u make 100k every month and spend every cent, it just come to nought".......Well, I am paid 6 figures per month. You can't possibility understand my life, my thinking process and decision making and so on......You can only understand when u reach where I am now. So, for now, plse do not make remarks like that when u are not at that state. With this income, I do not eat at restaurant unless I am with friends. I do not go traveling in business class. I do not wear expensively. I do not drive a big car. I do not club, drink or smoke. I am happy with my partner and we have been together for 15 years.

You are quoting me out of context and your comment was uncalled for!

Please read again what I had written, and if you still don't understand, too bad for you.

Here's a different perspective. If you think of it, it doesn't matter how much you earn. Were all slaves to an elite group of insiders who control the monetary system and determine when the market cycle is going to change. Although we work so hard, we still find it a struggle to afford the luxuries in life, and still end up in debt. Thats not because you are incompetent, it's because you are being used and manipulated. There's nothing you can do really because no one can touch these people. So my advice is to live a happy and meaningful life without worrying about the ideal salary!

lohwpr, how did you work 2 jobs? is that possible if you were working under other people as employee? even my current job consumes 10-12 hours on average, that i find it hard to do anything else after work everyday

When I was in my 20s, I start work at 8am and stop at 6pm. That after, I will meet my customers, selling properties. In the late 80s and early 90s, the commission from selling properties was quite good. After accumulating $200,000, I bought a small retail shop and my empire started from there.

For "dude", if u r teaching and make $4,000, u can consider giving group tuition in the night and weekend to accumulate yr wealth. With the extra cash, u can support yr family and plan for yr future. The question is whether or not u r willing to give up yr free time to work for yr future.

Saving money MUST not be the ultimate plan for yr retirement. Inflation will eat up yr saving faster than what u think. It took 10 -15 years for a can of coke to double in price. $1million now will probably worth $500,000 in 10-15 years time. U must find a way to turn this cash into property ( and I don't mean the roof over yr head). It will defend against inflation and generate cash for u perpetually. Properties to generate cash must form a big part of yr retirement plan. If u were to analyze all the big corporation, all of them turn their cash into properties as well.

Today, I just learned one of my good friend's wife went into surgery for ovarian cancer. The hospital requires him to pay upfront $20,000 and he needs to prepare another $18,000 if there is complication. The entire healing process will cost him $200,000 or more to save his wife over the next 6 months. I know this because this is the amount of money I paid to save my dad from rectum cancer. I was shocked when the nurse asked me to prepare $200,000-$300,00 and I ask her how does a typical family afford this. Her answer was so cold and it sent chill to my bone. "Oh, they don't, they just die". When yr love ones is sick, u need to hv the money to buy the best medical care. It takes more than just LOVE to take care of yr family, u need CASH.

My opinion for the young one is Work-Life Balance life is really a luxury u can only enjoy when u hv achieved a certain level of security. For those who seek work-life balance too early in their career will tend to do badly later in life because they did not sow enough seeds. When there is a need for money urgently and trust me, it will happen, u hv no where to go.

I am in my 40s and do u know how many cases I hv seen my friends going thru mid-life crises? We had a gathering 2 years ago, all my secondary schools mates. 20 of us. During the gathering, we exchanged info and my God, u can't imagine the vast differences in our achievement or career. One tends to exchange pleasantlies but don't be fooled. Unknowingly, we tend to measure against each other whether u can help it or not. We were once sitting around each other, we were equal and now, things look really different. Over the next few meetings, we are seeing lesser people and I know why. Most of my friends, who stop going to our meetings, sought Work-life Balance too early and they are paying the price now. One of them even quit his job after our meeting and told me personally that after see some of us, he regretted not pushing hard enough when he was young and if he doesn't not made a change now, it will never happen because he is, as we all are, running out of time.

Look around u, do u actually think our government will take care of u when u retire? WAKE UP!!! Just look at the number of grandma and grandpa selling tissue paper in the hawker centre. My heart sank every time I see them doing this. THEY SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS!!! They should be enjoying their life and yet, here they are. If u don't plan yr life surgically, u could be the next one selling tissue paper in the public. Is that what u want?

I don't know about u but I rather look like f'ck now, provide for my family and die a happy, rich man.

To those who listen. I rest my case.

Edited by lohwpr

Guest FattChoy88

Well you have it folks, he has given his side of the story.

Let me brief you mine.

I'm in my mid 30s, earn an equivalent of SGD five figure salary. I lived overseas for a decade now, including 8 in China. I eat out a lot, travel a lot on my vacation. I have my own property, car etc and I work 9 to 5 on a very easy relaxing and respectable job. I meet interesting people, which i usually fantasize about them in meetings if they are my cup of tea. My boss a man, (i rather quit than work for a woman) and he is nice. So was all my previous bosses. Usually I can be at the gym by 6 and I go on trips in the weekend.

Many people ask me my age and are surprised I'm in my 30s, they say I have good skin, healthy body shape and look like in my 20s. Sometimes they still think I'm in the university.

My friends back home ask me how's work?

My honest reply to them is, What work? It's a f'cking yearlong paid vacation.

All I'm saying is, while what loh is likely to be true, including looking like a f'ckface, what he says is definitely not exclusive. He is kiasi and kiasu, not that there's anything wrong with that. But i feel you're put on earth to learn and explore and to find yourself. I believe you can have an enjoyable healthy life while still maintaining a healthy economic engine.

Something doesn't come out of nothing.

Someone like loh usually sacrifices his health, relationship, longevity and peace of mind in exchange for more money. Not all, but most like him. Usually those who look like f'ck. No offense.

Take the middle path, that's my word of advice.

- snip -

Wait..................................u r in yr mid 30s and according to u, looking young, making a 5 figure salary, eat out a lot, travel a lot, own yr property, car and a very easy relaxing and respectable job that is like a "a f'cking yearlong paid vacation" some more.............and here u r providing word of advise and telling us to "TAKE THE MDDILE PATH"??? Seriously???

My Msg "Work-Life Balance life is really a luxury u can only enjoy when u hv achieved a certain level of security"

No wonder u can play the high-and-mighty role and afford to "TAKE THE MIDDLE PATH"

Point noted.

Edited by lohwpr

LOL - there's more to taking care of dogs than just turning on the air con...hahah But trust me, the rewards are fantastic - they love you back with unconditional love...

I know lah!! Wa lao!!!! But yeah, I heard from my friends that they on air con for it...but really, I love husky. They are just so adorable, if not maybe erm..scottish folds are good too!~

I just read through what choy and loh posted...

and I pretty much agree with loh that the world is very realistic. It's impossible for the government to take care all the older people in this aging population which is why I think CPF was introduced. But one thing first, I don't really find it sad for older people to go around selling tissues etc, I think it's a very respectable way in earnin money. And it's their choice to do so, so like idk leh, to me it feels sort of offensive if someone were to pity me for the job I'm doing.

For Choy, I think the reason he can so easily brisk through his job is because he is interested in his work. People who are usually not interested in their work, will find it extremely stressful and difficult and everything is just a bother..it's the way you think lah @@. And regarding to the look young thing, really..it's the genes, okay maybe taking care of your health etc is important too, but yeah, it's largely based on your genetics. I have a 25yo friend and a 27yo friend who looks younger than me. *shrugs*

And err, one thing is just because you are fortunate and lucky enough to have the job you like, health bla bla bla, it doesn't means that everyone is AS fortunate as you. Honestly, if everyone can be like you, there'll be no poor people in the world =_=.

I think there's nothing wrong in taking precautions and being self conscious in your life. In fact, I'm proud that I'm kiasu and kiasi. It's just a defensive mechanism everyone has, when they see enough things. And for your case, I'm assuming that you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth or from a family back ground that is not too humble. *shrugs*, which is prolly why in your post, you had a tone of you having the luxury to choose your job base on your bosses gender. I mean it's either you are really talented or you have a lot of things to fall back on.

To me, your advise sounds like, aiyo, if there's no bread to eat why worry so much and become so kiasu sia, eat cake lor. Dafaq?

Ps. no offense, doesn't work at all. It just means, hey I'm gonna slap you, don't hit me back k. Never works @@.

Edited by kaze

You can complain that roses have thorns, or you can also rejoice that thorns have roses

Kaze, thank u for agreeing with me. For yr opinion about older people selling tissue paper. U r young now, u do not understand. When u reach 40 and above, u will soon understand the rapid health deterioration one has to go thru. There is nothing disrespectful about the job but when u r in the retirement age and walking is becoming an issue, going around selling tissue paper is not a joking matter. Contrary to u, my heart goes out to them who need to continuing struggle for their daily living.

Other than some old folks selling tissue paper, there are also those old folks who clear our leftover utensils and wipe our dirty tables in hawker centres, and those elderly folks who push a cart around and dig through dirty rubbish bins (imagine several times I saw people spitting into those rubbish bins and then later the elderly folks came and dig through those bins) to collect card-boards to sell.

Once I saw an elderly cleaning lady who ate the left-over food of customers. That was in Yishun I think.

Another time I saw an elderly woman who was really having problem pushing her cart. :unsure:

Luckily at that time a stranger went up to her and help her to push it. :thumb:

These examples hopefully can inspire us to do two things:

1. Do not be sucked into the spirit of consumerism. Save more, spend less.

2. Give some $$$ to help the elderly poor. Do not wait until when we have accumulated enough before we give. For many, the day that "we have accumulated enough" never arrives as we keep expanding on the list of things we want to buy or consume.

Even if we are earning only around $2000 we can still give.

In general (i.e. there are exceptional cases), one of the keys to live well is to manage our spending, even if we are earning around $2000.

Actually we can still see some people with family living quite ok with a household salary of about $3000. [they are quite ok without owning a car, without owning a 4 or 5 room flat, going only to nearby overseas places for holidays instead of going to Europe or US, without using LV or Gucci stuff, not having frequent expensive consumption].

Edited by permanent-guest

Kaze, thank u for agreeing with me. For yr opinion about older people selling tissue paper. U r young now, u do not understand. When u reach 40 and above, u will soon understand the rapid health deterioration one has to go thru. There is nothing disrespectful about the job but when u r in the retirement age and walking is becoming an issue, going around selling tissue paper is not a joking matter. Contrary to u, my heart goes out to them who need to continuing struggle for their daily living.

I think probably so. Maybe when I'm a bit older I will understand haha...but yeah, eh I not very young also liao leh haha!! Dammit man, time passes so fast, I can still remember my primary school days, as if it was just yesterday.. @@. but really bah, it's impossible to have no poor people. If there's rich people, there will be poor. This sort of thing is confirm guarantee chop one. When the rich gets richer, the poor will definitely get poorer.

Unless the Germans or Russians won the war against US last time, then communism is at play. Then it might be a different story. *shrugs*

You can complain that roses have thorns, or you can also rejoice that thorns have roses

I know lah!! Wa lao!!!! But yeah, I heard from my friends that they on air con for it...but really, I love husky. They are just so adorable, if not maybe erm..scottish folds are good too!~

They are cute I must admit but not practical...

Sorry, I am a practical sort of guy - boring hor...hahah

But I do on my aircon almost 24 hours when I am home - my two furkids love it too...hahah

Erm, you do know that Scottish Fold is a cat...I also have two cats at home :D

Am I falling for a bi?

They are cute I must admit but not practical... Sorry, I am a practical sort of guy - boring hor...hahah But I do on my aircon almost 24 hours when I am home - my two furkids love it too...hahah Erm, you do know that Scottish Fold is a cat...I also have two cats at home :D

24 hours....ouch >.< Pampered!

Orca, I want ya PS3 =D

which is better? option 1: making $2K a month but have $200K cash in the bank or option 2: $20K per month but with only say $20K in savings?

Simple mathematical relationship. From now till the 18th month, option 1 is better. At 18th month, the 2 optioins are the same. From 19th month onwards, option 2 is better.

Well you have it folks, he has given his side of the story.

Let me brief you mine.

I'm in my mid 30s, earn an equivalent of SGD five figure salary. I lived overseas for a decade now, including 8 in China. I eat out a lot, travel a lot on my vacation. I have my own property, car etc and I work 9 to 5 on a very easy relaxing and respectable job.

which field are you in? i'm a doctor in my late thirties, earning 6-figure salary mthly. i mostly eat at food courts, drive a small car, seldom buy new clothes and don't fly business class. I live simply coz i'm used to the simple life, coming from a humble background. i dun think my lifestyle is much different from someone earning 4k/mth.

They are cute I must admit but not practical... Sorry, I am a practical sort of guy - boring hor...hahah But I do on my aircon almost 24 hours when I am home - my two furkids love it too...hahah Erm, you do know that Scottish Fold is a cat...I also have two cats at home :D

I know it's a cat lahhh!!! D: , but why not practical? Haha, wa lao 24 hours air con...haha, I barely have any chance to on the aircon for myself @@;

I know it's a cat lahhh!!! D: , but why not practical? Haha, wa lao 24 hours air con...haha, I barely have any chance to on the aircon for myself @@;

LOL - I was just teasing you...hahah

Okay, unker has a warped sense of humor :(

Anyway, they are spoilt rotten - especially my gal who is the little princess...hahah

Air con is over-rated - my electricity bill is $300 per month :huh:

Am I falling for a bi?

LOL - I was just teasing you...hahah Okay, unker has a warped sense of humor :( Anyway, they are spoilt rotten - especially my gal who is the little princess...hahah Air con is over-rated - my electricity bill is $300 per month :huh:

Hahaha I see I see!

You very old meh where got lao uncle sio! Haha..air con with how many ticks! @@

I is confirm lao unker - easily twice your age :( Mine is not invertor - so at most 3 ticks niah... But the main killer is probably my PC bah - only 24/7...hahah

HAHA!! Ginger shi lao de hot! I see...but the many many ticks one! On le won't burn a lot of electricity @@Y!

True...haiz...I needa get away from my pc LOL.

HAHA!! Ginger shi lao de hot! I see...but the many many ticks one! On le won't burn a lot of electricity @@Y! True...haiz...I needa get away from my pc LOL.

I am not ginger - more like balloon - losing air :P

I think will still consume quite a bit - best is don't on...hahah

More excuse to walk around my house in my birthday suit LOL

Yup, PC consumes a lot of energy...

Am I falling for a bi?

So, your savings plan = $1,120 a month. If you continue putting money in this savings plan for the next 20 years til you're 60, you'll have $268,800. And that's only the principal. You haven't included the interest you earn. Depending on the savings plan you've bought, you can easily have a total sum by the time you're 60 at around $500,000.

Ya, just assumption. Anything can happen within the 20 years, you change jobs, retrenched, wages depressed, fall ill, go heaven earlier than expecte *touch wood*, fatique in working, injured, major surgery, cheated in investment.....

Unless you are loyal, spend just enough to live, avoid material attachment, risk adversed type, avoid social settings, avoid risky places (travelling, bar, jay walking, hospitals, construction site, night life) for the next 20 years, yes! you might meet your objective. Let you be warned, I have seen people like that in my life and they became Zombie in their mid 40s even before reaching 60yo. You talked to them like talking to wall and they are largely clueless of the world around them.

which field are you in? i'm a doctor in my late thirties, earning 6-figure salary mthly. i mostly eat at food courts, drive a small car, seldom buy new clothes and don't fly business class. I live simply coz i'm used to the simple life, coming from a humble background. i dun think my lifestyle is much different from someone earning 4k/mth.

Whoa....what kind of specialty are you in? 6 figures a month??? most only make 5 figure a month...

Whoa....what kind of specialty are you in? 6 figures a month??? most only make 5 figure a month...

6 figure mthly salary for procedure-based specialities are commonplace in private practice, just ask any accountant.

I am not ginger - more like balloon - losing air :P I think will still consume quite a bit - best is don't on...hahah More excuse to walk around my house in my birthday suit LOL Yup, PC consumes a lot of energy...

HAHA, for a second I didn't understand what you meant by birthday suit @@;. But yeah haiz, electricity bills... ); burns a hole in my pocket. Or at least in my parents..

HAHA, for a second I didn't understand what you meant by birthday suit @@;. But yeah haiz, electricity bills... ); burns a hole in my pocket. Or at least in my parents..

Like I said before, old unker here with a kooky sense of humor...hahah

Then again, who wants to see me with just my skin on right? Yucks right? :(

Anyway, be glad - wait until you start paying for it yourself...hahah

Am I falling for a bi?

Guest FattChoy88

It is very very tacky to ask someone how much he/she earns. Talking about one's earning or money for that matter is in extreme bad taste.

If someone asks me that question, I will say : "Just about enough".

So basically everyone who partcipate in this thread earns your scorn, right?

How about you, how much you did you read?

I agree with you that asking someone about that is rude...if it is a conversation. It's also rude to ask smeone how they f'ck their partners or who they like to f'ck.

But this is an internet forum with an eastern spin.

If you feel like sharing go ahead. No one's forcing you to answer.

Most of us here who shared were just doing it to help ther people get a sense

It is very very tacky to ask someone how much he/she earns. Talking about one's earning or money for that matter is in extreme bad taste. If someone asks me that question, I will say : "Just about enough".

I will tell the inquisitor that I am a poor pauper and watch his expression. Most likely he will not want to meet me again.

So basically everyone who partcipate in this thread earns your scorn, right?

How about you, how much you did you read?

I agree with you that asking someone about that is rude...if it is a conversation. It's also rude to ask smeone how they f'ck their partners or who they like to f'ck.

But this is an internet forum with an eastern spin.

If you feel like sharing go ahead. No one's forcing you to answer.

Most of us here who shared were just doing it to help ther people get a sense

i like to get a sense where i stand. thanks for sharing.

I have a friend who is doing really well in his career, with a $20k+ salary. But he has an only son who is autistic. His life is spent with his wife taking care of their son, and they can't enjoy simple pleasures like a weekend in town etc like other people. Sometimes he confides in me that he doesn't really know the purpose of continuing as he can't see the future, and is worried when he and his wife die, how his child will survive even with that stockpile of money they have saved.

I have another friend who was a trader who, as you might guess, makes a shitload of money. But he also lived the high life and spent money like water. He was aiming to retire at 35, but now he's 42, moved on to a lower-stress job, and still nowhere near retirement.

There is yet another friend I have, who was posted to Beijing for 8 years. His salary on expat terms was 5-figure. But the constant drinking with clients most days of the week has left him tired. The doctor said he has problems with his liver. He has also not really invested any time in his personal life, and has been through a series of very bad relationships, and at 43, is a little bit uncertain he will end up with anyone this lifetime.

I think we all agree that wealth is very important in our lives, especially when we don't have any children to take care of us when we are old. But I think we need to constantly remind ourselves that there are more important things in life, and that wealth will never make up for these things that we lose.

I have a friend who is doing really well in his career, with a $20k+ salary. But he has an only son who is autistic. His life is spent with his wife taking care of their son, and they can't enjoy simple pleasures like a weekend in town etc like other people. Sometimes he confides in me that he doesn't really know the purpose of continuing as he can't see the future, and is worried when he and his wife die, how his child will survive even with that stockpile of money they have saved.

I have another friend who was a trader who, as you might guess, makes a shitload of money. But he also lived the high life and spent money like water. He was aiming to retire at 35, but now he's 42, moved on to a lower-stress job, and still nowhere near retirement.

There is yet another friend I have, who was posted to Beijing for 8 years. His salary on expat terms was 5-figure. But the constant drinking with clients most days of the week has left him tired. The doctor said he has problems with his liver. He has also not really invested any time in his personal life, and has been through a series of very bad relationships, and at 43, is a little bit uncertain he will end up with anyone this lifetime.

I think we all agree that wealth is very important in our lives, especially when we don't have any children to take care of us when we are old. But I think we need to constantly remind ourselves that there are more important things in life, and that wealth will never make up for these things that we lose.

Can't agree more with Hkl...

The grass will always SEEM greener on the other side, eventually when you get there, you will realise that you are perpetually surrounded by other sides that makes where you are at, pale in comparison to them. Just learn to accept and find contentment in what you have. The simplest things in life have often been the most nourishing to the spirit and soul.

ksy1f2jn2osi403qdr6f.gif

Guest derektan70

Grass is greener on the other side

But green grass also hides poor soil conditions, holes and poisonous snakes.

I'm happy running barefoot through my less-green lawn.

And that's contentment!!! ^_^

ksy1f2jn2osi403qdr6f.gif

Li Ka Shing's words to the young:

The youth shouldnt pursue security, especially when you are young, the environment will never feel secure, if you feel secured, that could be a starting point of danger. The real security comes from self confidence, when the goals you set at every stage is achieved. And the real security is in the depth of the heart, when you are the master of your destiny because your biggest competitor is always yourself.

I'm 26, earning at least 12k/month (gross)

Happily attached to my BF of almost 4 years, in the pink of health and spending less than 1k/month

I take public transport, hit Safra gyms and eat hawker center food.

Trying to save up for a condo now for my mum, myself and my BF to stay together :)

Edited by immolation

I have a friend who is doing really well in his career, with a $20k+ salary. But he has an only son who is autistic. His life is spent with his wife taking care of their son, and they can't enjoy simple pleasures like a weekend in town etc like other people. Sometimes he confides in me that he doesn't really know the purpose of continuing as he can't see the future, and is worried when he and his wife die, how his child will survive even with that stockpile of money they have saved. I have another friend who was a trader who, as you might guess, makes a shitload of money. But he also lived the high life and spent money like water. He was aiming to retire at 35, but now he's 42, moved on to a lower-stress job, and still nowhere near retirement. There is yet another friend I have, who was posted to Beijing for 8 years. His salary on expat terms was 5-figure. But the constant drinking with clients most days of the week has left him tired. The doctor said he has problems with his liver. He has also not really invested any time in his personal life, and has been through a series of very bad relationships, and at 43, is a little bit uncertain he will end up with anyone this lifetime. I think we all agree that wealth is very important in our lives, especially when we don't have any children to take care of us when we are old. But I think we need to constantly remind ourselves that there are more important things in life, and that wealth will never make up for these things that we lose.

Hkl,

Your friend who has an autistic son and doesn't really know the purpose of continuing, has nothing got to do with his wealth....Anybody, regardless of their financial status, will feel the same way as yr friend if they have an autistic child.

Your trader friend has chosen to live his life and spend his earning with no reservation. He has personally chosen his way of living. Without responsible way of managing his earning, anybody would end up in his state.

I TOTALLY agree with u that there are more important things in life, and that wealth will never make up for these things that we lose. But, when u quoted 3 high earners followed by their woes and concluded that there are more impt in life, u may be sending a wrong msg here.

Readers may interpret this as "since this is the case, I should work less and enjoy more..............."

"Wealth creation does not necessarily equal to sacrificing yr lives in exchange of it."

There are many stages in our lives. When we are a students. When we are a young rookie starting work (20s-30s). When we in the process of creating family (30s-40s). When we enjoy the fruit of our creation (40s-50s). When we mentor the young rookie and show them the way (50s-60s). When we seat back and relax(&amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;60s)

I posted this earlier and I totally agree with Mr Li

"Li Ka Shing's words to the young:

The youth shouldnt pursue security, especially when you are young, the environment will never feel secure, if you feel secured, that could be a starting point of danger. The real security comes from self confidence, when the goals you set at every stage is achieved. And the real security is in the depth of the heart, when you are the master of your destiny because your biggest competitor is always yourself. "

At different stages of our lives, the proportion between work and family is not the same. I firmly believe a young rookie MUST go all the way out to path their career. One hopes to enjoy their fruit of the labour and start to slow down when they hit their 40s and above.

I would like to mention again to the readers that one of the most misunderstood myth is Wealthy people tends to ignore or sacrifice their family, health and love ones in exchange to it. U r so wrong....I hv seen many wealthy people living a very happy and fulfilling lives. As a matter of fact, they tends to exercise more and careful with what they eat. Their principle-maintain health to protect wealth.

I can quote u another 20 examples that people who are well to do, work hard and spend quality time with their family on a daily basis.

The point is all these problems that u mentioned will happen to anyone regardless with their financial status.

Edited by lohwpr

I'm 26, earning at least 12k/month (gross) Happily attached to my BF of almost 4 years, in the pink of health and spending less than 1k/month I take public transport, hit Safra gyms and eat hawker center food. Trying to save up for a condo now for my mum, myself and my BF to stay together :)

Good for u. Push on......

• Guest locked this topic