Male HQ

How Much Do You Guys Make? All On Pay & Salary Compiled!

Guest Roger

Guest Roger

Would be interesting to know.

If you are interested to compare yourself with the rest of Singapore, here a link. http://www.salary.sg/.

One thing that's quite clear. If I compare to males, I am at the 14.1% for my age group. If I compare to females only, I am at the 7%. Hence, it would seem likely that gays earn relatively more as a community but then, we do not know how we compare with other males.

It is a misconception that gays earn more. We probably make as much money as the next person. The only difference is given we have less family responsibilities-I.e. Kids, we probably have a lot more disposable income at hand.

Love. 

That's a misconception.

If two men, one gay and one married share the same job and both earn $10 000/month, it's obvious the gay man has more "spare" cash. He has no kids, wife, family to support.. it's usually just himself and/or his parents.

The theory of the pink dollar doesn't come from the LGBT community Really earning a lot more, but more like them having more spare cash to save/spend

"The two of us are living in the same era, believing in the same future

Yesterday’s tears and today’s smiles will stay true

We’ve experienced the same pain, we’ve gathered the same kindness

And we’ll turn them into the strength to live on tomorrow"

progress - ayumi hamasaki

Totally agreed that a 50-year old gay man like me, earns the same amount as my straight/family man contemporaries.

Most of them still have home loans, car loans, study grants repayment to think... not unlike the gay men.

However because there are zero worries about kid's tuition and kid's well-being and a nagging wife (most of

them look terrible after 35 and/or child-birth), we gay men had the better end of the bargain. Our disposable

income is very much higher..

for example, we can go on impulse buying/shopping because it is the end of the month and this month's pay is just two days away. A family man has so many items on his list that every cents count...

Hmmmm...

Is that any misinterpretation to the post by TS? Roger - are you posting: Are Gays earning more as compared to Straight guys OR the disposable income as compared between the Gay VS Hetero orientation?

If the post is referring to the former, then my stand is that it may not be true. Earning is dependable on individual. If the post is referring to the latter, then my stand is yes, gays have higher disposable income. Of course, everybody committment level is different, thus spending will be different too.

Guest imseeker

KNNBCCB...

How many times must I tell the entire world that my dad passed away 16 years ago!

You want to meet him, CCB?

LOL! Good one bro! :lol:

Guest DBaSSes

If you are talking about annual income, then it doesn't matter if you are gay, straight or bi. It depends on your performance (not bed performance).

If you are referring to savings, then it MIGHT be true.

Single gay vs single straight = no diff

Single gay vs Straight couple = married could win due to combine income/ savings. All spending are actually halved, esp when it comes to housing and car.

Gay couple vs Straight Couple = really depends. I know some gay couples lead a high life by spending on branded goods. When you have kids, you tend to be more conscious when it comes to luxury goods.

Guest Jonty

i personally think that gays have better brain which constitute to higher earnings.

already proven they're smart for realizing cock is better than pussy. :D

Guest FattChoy88

According to this, I earn higher than 93.4 percent of the working population in sg. Is the currency in Sgd or usd???

On the other hand gays spend more on gay sex related consumption than normal husband types, ever tabulated the total amount we spend on gay related items, like sauna entry, membership. Transport to go to sex venue also cost money, internet, handphone, massages, fitness membership, body care products moisturisrs , products to keep the cock hard, poppers, it all adds up .

unless you are a celibate, strict, monastic human , gays spend about 305 of income on gay related expenditures and entertainment.

• 4 months later...

I konw of a 29 yrs old earning 29K per mth

35 yrs old earning 16K per mth

This is not a good thing. They have already hit the ceiling. What goes up, must come down.

just be happy w ur pay, cant compare..some pp have more luck and better qualification than us.

think about it...there r ppl in their 40s but still earning less than 2.5k.

Errr... like that I prepare to go to Bedok Reservoir for a swim in about two years time :P

Look at this way, one person earning $3k but have no debt (other than house loan) vs one who earn $20k but has x hundred thousands of debt (not house loan but real debt from credit cards, IOU, loan etc), which is more successful?

PS: just remembered... I have a swim this afternoon at marina reservoir :P

Edited by jtsc

Guest Hg ave 7

Amount of income is important as long as it is a means for you to achieve something that you deemed meaningful. Got $, but no time to spend or don't want to spend is quite a sad thing......Don't become a slave of $. Your health, friends and family members are something that $ alone can't buy, though $ can be make everything more palatable and enjoyable.

End of the day, 3 pieces of prata ($0.80 each) at 24 hours coffeeship also fills the stomach as that of a $24 pizza at Mozza.....

People always compare to better ones, but did you ever consider those who are worse off than you? Life is short.....so enjoy it okie. There are more important things in life than just income........simple n enjoyable things in life does not cost a bomb.........ONS is usually free.....hahaha...

Guest shenderz

We can either be a gym rat or a corporate rat or drop out of the race to smell roses.

What I mean is that we can make a choice according to what's most important to us.

There will always be sacrifices to be made. But one needs to be at peace with one's choice.

Edited by shenderz

The problem is if you don't earn enough, you will not have enough savings after retirement.

Especially if you are still single and cannot rely on allowances from children, it would be important for you to be financially independent which means it is better to earn lots of money and save enough for retirement.

I konw of a 29 yrs old earning 29K per mth 35 yrs old earning 16K per mth This is not a good thing. They have already hit the ceiling. What goes up, must come down.

what kind of job are they doing to earn that kind of money?

if u have not retired at 40yo and still slaving for your boss, yes u r a failure, i m planning to retire at 50yo, which is achievable.

Dun understand this at all. So you plan to retire at 50 which u say is achievable. Does that make u a failure since u do not retire at 40 yo ?

There are people I know who continue to work as that keeps their lives meaningful. it is like balancing social life with a working life that keeps them occupied. I seriously doubt many people can just have a social life 24/7 without other work as that can be rather impossible in this society.

As long as u are happy with ur income, u are all set. At 6000 a month, u should be comfortable.

Of course I already hit 6.5K basic salary when I was 28 in 2001 but I was on an expat package in China in the telco industry and did not include my monthly S$3K overseas living/accommodation allowances and variable sales commission which easily totalled up to S$15K to 20K a month but back then that basic pay alone was more than sufficient for me and my parents to live a decent and comfortable lifestyle.

It is all about choices and how you want to set your living standard.

Guest Passingthru

What you're earning is currency and not money. It is a measurement, not true wealth. As long as the current financial system holds( but it's fast deteriorating! ), currency has value. Should the system collapse, then it doesn't matter whether you earn $6K or $60K per month because they are nothing more than bits of computer code in your bank account which can easily get wiped out. In such a scenario, almost everyone is a failure because they worked hard and put their faith into illusory wealth.

Illustration:

- an automotive industry producing cars = real GDP = real wealth.

- issuing a certificate of entitlement to own cars = false GDP = false wealth.

In a collapse scenario, at least the former could probably continue making cars albeit only for domestic consumption while the latter immediately ceases. Who then is the failure?

As long u r happy and enough to spend, how much u earn per mth doesnt matter. If u continue to compare with others pple, no matter how much u earn also not enough.

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

Dun understand this at all. So you plan to retire at 50 which u say is achievable. Does that make u a failure since u do not retire at 40 yo ?

There are people I know who continue to work as that keeps their lives meaningful. it is like balancing social life with a working life that keeps them occupied. I seriously doubt many people can just have a social life 24/7 without other work as that can be rather impossible in this society.

As long as u are happy with ur income, u are all set. At 6000 a month, u should be comfortable.

Of course I already hit 6.5K basic salary when I was 28 in 2001 but I was on an expat package in China in the telco industry and did not include my monthly S$3K overseas living/accommodation allowances and variable sales commission which easily totalled up to S$15K to 20K a month but back then that basic pay alone was more than sufficient for me and my parents to live a decent and comfortable lifestyle.

It is all about choices and how you want to set your living standard.

why do i need to put up with shit and the stress when i m able to retire at 50, and yes i m still a failure at 40yo since i can't retire.

Guest Centrino

Employers expect potential candidates to negotiate their salaries. No one goes into a new job accepting whatever the employer puts forward. All employers have a range which they are willing to pay, depending on how much value they see that job scope as having and your expected value add to the company (based on years of experience and clients you can pull over).

If you are in the corporate world, degree holder, and depending on which industry you are in, yes $6,000 is pretty low for a 40 yr old. However, as many have said, depending on what you want in life, there are other things that are more worth pursuing...

Personally, the original post is only worth discussing if the $6k per month employee is slogging as hard as someone who is paid $15k a month. However, this is very unlikely to be the case. At $6k a month, your level of responsibility is probably not as great as someone who is paid $15k (again, depending on which industry you are in).

I bet to differ.

As a former academic, the satisfaction is beyond the pay package.

Teaching is a passion, a calling and NOT because it pays relatively well.

Life is more than the so-called wealth.

Of course, one must have the basic necessities in life.

I live without a car for years because I am a lousy driver.

I could afford it but then, why bother!

I live in a 3 bedroom HDB flat because of its location.

I am only 4 stops to Dhoby Ghaut.

That is convenience.

Really, I want my vacation every 3 months.

I dont want to entertain clients or meet quotas.

I want to have time to listen to my music, watch my DVDs.

I want to spend more time with my aged mother.

I want very little in life.

I am contented.

Edited by abang

Guest Rivrics

Good things in life come for free. Things like Laughter and Love. You cannot use a syntactic measure that we can cling on so much more easily to compare against semantic which is quality. So it is a balance of quantity of life vs quality of life that you are struggling against.

At the end of the day, passion for work is overrated. I hv seen enough Musicians & teachers who entered the industry with so much passion. They were all forced to do a reality-checked later.

How many teachers you know actually enjoys what they are doing? Many of them are so tired from all the politics and CCAs. They don't get to teach very much. Most of them eventually gave up.

I know Musician who does not listen to Classical music anymore when they joined SSO.

Do u actually think an Artist get to paint what they want? I known an outstanding malaysian artist who does great abstracted art work. But it doesn't sell. The gallery advised him to paint Kampong scene with ducks and chickens. To put food on the table, he gave in and started painting to what the market wants and they sell like hotcake.

All these people were once passionate. When U attached $$$ to yr passion, u no longer has the full control of what u want to do.

As a matter of fact, the most passionate people I met are the business man. Their passion is to make $$$ and doing business aligned with their passion.

Money can't buy happiness...... <- created by losers.....

MONEY CAN BUY HAPPINESS, it depends what u buy.

Money is very impt. U may choose to live simple, a humble life, but when yr love ones fall sick, u need $$$.

My dad was diagnosed with cancer, to save his life, I spend $200,000. Am I happy? U bet I am. My dad is now healthy and living an active lifestyle.

When someone u love fall sick and u don't have the $$$ to save him/her, can u still stand tall for yr "Contentment in life" or "be happy of what u hv"?

When I hear of people telling me that their priority in life is their family, they all have something in common. All of them are doing badly in their career. This is something they say to justify why they are doing so badly in life. U want to know something? All the successful people I know, their priority is also their family. There is no need to say it.

Personally, I worked very hard for my family. I am planning for their future. I enjoy every moment with them. For those who proclaimed contentment with life and etc, to me they are selfish and thinks only for themselves.

Lastly, to answer the question. 40s and making $6000? U need to review what u do and make a change.

Edited by lohwpr

Guest Curious
I konw of a 29 yrs old earning 29K per mth

35 yrs old earning 16K per mth

This is not a good thing. They have already hit the ceiling. What goes up, must come down.

Lol 29k? Does tin pei ling even earn that much? Is he a surgeon, politician, expatriate or a successful entrepreneur/businessman? If he is a politician, we would know abt him. To be surgeon u need a doctorate/phd or maybe at least a masters and u'll still be studying for that at 29, plus the starting pay wouldnt be that high, so im guessing young businessman? Lol jus askin

Guest Logical
What's the pay someone who is 40 years old should get to be considered successful?

6k isnt exactly the highest pay u can get for a degree holder at 40 but its definitely at least average, depending on what industry u work in. Thr r definitely at least another 50% of the working population earning less then u, so dun be stupid and call yrself a failure. Besides not being very successful in yr career doesnt equate to failure. Thr r many other aspects of yr life.

Guest Kendall
Lol 29k? Does tin pei ling even earn that much? Is he a surgeon, politician, expatriate or a successful entrepreneur/businessman? If he is a politician, we would know abt him. To be surgeon u need a doctorate/phd or maybe at least a masters and u'll still be studying for that at 29, plus the starting pay wouldnt be that high, so im guessing young businessman? Lol jus askin

Yes, one can earn that much at that age. Private banking and wealth management.

If Spore has enough private bankers, it would further strengthen Spore's position as the financial hub of Asia.

Dear TS,

One should not peg salary to age. It doesn't work in that manner, or in my opinion.

Earning do goes hand in hand with lifestyle. It's about be practical in achieving what you want. One can never measure a lecturer earning to an investment banker; an air steward to a waiter....

Ultimately, if you wishes to drives a Maserati, stays in Bt Timah, dine in Fullerton daily, then maybe even $20K a month may not be sufficient.

Remember - money is important, but without health and happiness, one can never be able to earn (more) money.

>>One should not peg salary to age. It doesn't work in that manner, or in my opinion.

On the contrary, salary MUST be pegged against age. There are a few reasons why is this so

1) RUNWAY. If one can achieve $6000 in his 30s, he has a longer runway as compared to other who achieve $6000 in his 40s. Assuming we retired at 60.

2) OPPORTUNITY: Not the same opportunity will be offered for someone at 30s and 40s. We all knows it is more difficult to seek employment for someone who is >40 yrs old

3) ENERGY. All things being equal, as we get older, we tend to hv less energy and drive to push further.

It is impt for the young ones to push very hard when they are in their 20s and pave their way to a higher income lvl in their 40s.

Edited by lohwpr

What's the pay someone who is 40 years old should get to be considered successful?

yes u are. so what? no u are not. so what? if u are earning 6k. u are likely in a management position. and in such a position, you are asking such a useless question. what is important is what u think u are, not what we think u are. even if u are earning 300k a year, and u think u are a failure, then u are. u decide. period.

Guest From diff perspective

To TS, can't stop but have to give you a clear understanding of yourself.

I am in the early 40s, I drew 120k inclusive of bonus, commission, allowances etc ....... in my late 30s.

I was not half as happy as now because I was in middle management, load of budget to prepare, lots of meeting, lots of report, less time for myself, less time for family, less time for my BF and less time to take care of my health ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hahaha .....

I quit in my late 30s .....haha :-) most of colleagues were puzzling but I told them I am going for a long break.

I am making $3500 now, working with children and handle projects that warm my heart each everytime I completed one.

So you can tell me now, am I a failure ......?

People can tell you is just a figure ..... people can tell you is just corporation chase ............ Others will tell you do what you want ....... BUT all I can say, you have to plan and gradually do something you like. If you evaluate yourself against money/gold/wealth etc, be it. Go chase for it and not questioning yourselve as failure.

You should have already have your apartment, maybe car, credit card, etc .......... Guess what you need to do now is to know yourselve and your soul, what you want to do in the coming years, your family, your BF ....etc.

It is the middle age crisis thingy. When I hit my mid 40s, I started to think where was I compared to the others and wondered, how far could I go and if my potential was fully utilised. I was given a chance to run a manufacturing organisation with 200+ people, the salary was slightly higher than my former job. It was very challenging and demanding. 9 key customers to deal with and many politics and hurdles. Worked 16 hours everyday until I hurt my back. Our satisfaction in life shouldn't continue the way how our Chinese traditional culture defines: success in career. Our lives have many facets. Career is only one of them. I worked for different MNC for 20+ years and I could tell, not many CEOs were happy. I came to know a story that after failing the merger, the CEO had a fight with his wife and put the daughter inside the washing machine. Police was called...

I know I can still envy about people driving big cars, sport cars etc.. but, years ago, in Mount E specialist centre, I saw this Indo Chinese businessman, he dropped his bag on the floor and stacks of money came out of the bag. He worn a gold rolex, diamond rings etc..but he was there using his money to buy his health back.

I learned this in China: 50 岁以前,拿命换钱,50岁以后,拿钱换命。That is assuming if money can really buy back your health and even your youth. Actually, we should take an account of what we have when we hit our middle age crisis:

a. do we have debts? the % interest is really going to kill you. I was glad that I had fully paid up my HDB

b. do we have some assets at least to last 6 to 12 months if we lost our job? I had been to many lay off cycles. I witnessed the higher you earn, the faster you go. Many hard disk industry top earners, while paying their mortgage for condos, cars. etc, suddenly lost their job and with the industry shrunk then, it was so hard to even land on a management job.

c. do we have to vent out our stress almost everyday? If work is causing us to feel so stress to take on someone, then no matter how people think you are successful, it is not worth it. Your health should come first.

d. do we at least laugh once a day? You may think success have nothing to do with this? But a good laugh everyday is important. it speaks of your mental status, your perception to life etc...Good sense of humour, positive towards life, is something money can't buy.

e. how many true friends do we have that in times of emergency, you know you can count on him or her and could confide to this person?

f. do you have free times to pursue your interest? Actually turn out that some people I met lamented that if they could have time, they would want to learn this and that. It is about prioritising. if you are in command of your time, you are successful too. Many top executives don't have that kind o luxury bcause they claimed they had mor important thing to do. But actually, they don't have a choice. ONce there was this JC girl who cheated the taxi driver and landed in court case. Turned out that her father was a high earning expat. She did this because she needed her father back as she was in JC2 and needed to talk to someone.

YOu may earn 6K at late 40s but so what? Those in the finance industry could tell you, they might be earning 20k 30k amonth, when economy downturn, they were laid off, and some FT took over the job and get even higher pay.

You earn 6K a month but free of debt and have your freedom to choose what to do in your free time, and you have a bunch of good friends that you can have coffee together and talk about life, then, you are successful.

Don't just look at hard assets, there are soft assets to consider too. just my 2 cents.

I am 45 years old and I am earning only close to $2k per month. I'm not a failure but a total $!^*| failure. How I wish to earn 6k at the age of 55, never mind 40! I feel like a loser. Can some one help please.

I felt this thread is potentially capable of demoralizing most of the forummers here.

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

Guest Kendall
I felt this thread is potentially capable of demoralizing most of the forummers here.

It is demoralising if the members of the society measure life only with money.

Unfortunately, how most Sporeans are raised and brought up, many can only relate "perceived" happiness with tangibles. It will be difficult to explain any form of alternatives, as that is tantamount to saying that the 'Sporean' way of life and its values are wrong. And many people will defend that Sporean way of life.

If you are really a 40 year old man earning $6,000 pm and asking a question like this, I think you are not only a failure, you are also a dud.

Do you know that according to Singapore's gross income benchmark, a monthly income of $6,000 will place you somewhere in the top 14.9%!!

So you go figure it.

I am <40 and earning >6,000 per month. My boss, who is a year older than me is earning almost 2x my current pay. That makes me a failure too?! There is no end to comparison. Instead of benchmarking yourself against the higher income, you will be much happier if you see how many people are earning <6,000 per month.. furthermore, you do not need to sell backside to earn 6,000!

Your capabilities will affect your pay, but there are also other factors like qualification, industry, company, and being in the right place at the right time.

While it is great to be able to measure your worth vis-a-vis your salary, the reality comes down to how much you spend. You need to set yourself a benchmark as to what makes you happy, because at some point, having more money is not going to make you any more happier than with less.

If you are someone who lives pay cheque to pay cheque, then, yes having more money might offer more stability and security in your life, regardless of age. But if you are not in that category, then having more money does not really affect your daily life too much.

A few of my friends are pretty successful bankers, and they don't have lavish lifestyles. In fact, other than, yes a much nicer apartment, they don't really splurge on designer labels etc. Whereas another friends of ours, who is not a banker, but has a pretty well-paying job has a showy mentality, and thinks he is a failure because he cannot afford to buy the million dollar apartment, yet would every summer splurge $20k on a rental in the Hamptons.

So it all comes down to how you spend that sort of makes you feel like a success or failure.

Love. 

• Guest locked this topic