Male HQ

Artists / Arts Enthusiasts Lounge

fallequinox01

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Zaihan Kariyani

It would be good if we could all go for a sketchwalk. :P :P :P or something. hahaha

Maybe can have like lunch den go a place to do sketching etc? We can even camp at a shopping mall to sketch/draw. Don't mind staring at clothes to draw and replicate~

Hey guys,

I'm with a group called Urban Sketchers Singapore (visit fb.com/usksg and blog.usk.sg).

We do sketchwalks, where it's just a big bunch of us going somewhere to sketch the area. It's basically observational drawing, placed into the context of the location.

Want to know more?

• 2 months later...

Hey there! Would love to meet fellow artists and writers over here in Singapore!

Just some of my work and WIP.

come_as_you_are_by_azarethiantitan-d5c8w

Interesting pieces of works! Thanks for sharing them.

I had a quick glance this morning and took a more serious look when the above ask for your thots and inspiration when doing the pieces. My take on the last piece as it strike me the most:

A semi dark piece of work. May be a struggle going on. Of life and death. Feels almost like a cemetery, the cross as a tombstone under a baren tree. Yet this bare tree seems to hv a new life with creepers growing around it. Under the gloomy surface, lies the heart. A heart that is continuing to grow, despite all. After all it is growing and rejuvening the baren tree and the creepers.

Just my strange-warp-mind-interpretation, no offense intend to the young brilliant artist. :)

Question

what the 4th and 5th art mean? What was the feeling or thought that inspire that creation?

The 4th one was just an experimentation with a scribbler app I found. :P The 5th was done during a period of relapse for my depression when I was trying to reconcile my faith with my sexuality. :)

Interesting pieces of works! Thanks for sharing them.

I had a quick glance this morning and took a more serious look when the above ask for your thots and inspiration when doing the pieces. My take on the last piece as it strike me the most:

A semi dark piece of work. May be a struggle going on. Of life and death. Feels almost like a cemetery, the cross as a tombstone under a baren tree. Yet this bare tree seems to hv a new life with creepers growing around it. Under the gloomy surface, lies the heart. A heart that is continuing to grow, despite all. After all it is growing and rejuvening the baren tree and the creepers.

Just my strange-warp-mind-interpretation, no offense intend to the young brilliant artist. :)

Haha! No worries. Thanks for the compliment! That's an interesting interpretation. I'd like to think that quite accurate to the period of time I was going through. :)

I create. Therefore, I am.

Fascinating insight syhc

Heianedenwood, i am reminded of a biography book of wiston churchhill where during his unlucky years, he took art and paint in his spare time to keep away the "black dog" ( depression). I have not seen his painting yet live, but it helped him during those years before he rose to power again.

Good to see that you have kept the blackdog away.

:0). @ heianedenwood & Jekyll@hyde. Most time I just see and like stuff, not bothering to try and study it. In the past, when I do enjoy browsing in galleries/museum, I do try and figure out how the painter paint. Purely for entertaining my curiosity.

Leonardo Da Vinci, Vincent van Gogh and Michelangelo suffered from bipolar disorder and produced most of their famous works. Pablo Picasso's Blue Period - 1901 to 1904.

Art after all is an interpretation of one's feelings, views, and opinions. Be aware that anything in moderation is good. Good that heianedewood can moved on and come to a consensus between his faith and sexuality.

letting one mind find an art piece that a personlikes or love and let the person mind wonder and ponder in stream of posibilities is how we learn to appreciate arts.

the beauty of it is that it disengage the mind from the mundane /stressful routine and help person to have a break.

Shyc, don't let your good habit of your for arts died down.

• 2 weeks later...
@Emeriz, The ladies remind me of flamingo dancers. I like how you frame that painting of the hooded person. Not sure if this picture is the true color of your painting. Personally feel if the foreground was a little darker, the mysterious effect of the painting would be greater. It would create a depth in the work and an illusion which may arouse the curiosity of the viewer to the 'glow' in the background. 
Indeed it also arouse my curiosity as in regards to your inspiration for the hooded person painting.

@van1981, Thanks for sharing. I like your portraitures, I get a certain feeling of anime effects on them. Hotel complain's quite interesting, I am wondering why all the guys are also wrapping their towels like ladies...lol  Incidentally, wondering if your client made any comments on the 'Singapore places of interest'? I am a little puzzle by the placement of a rickshaw (passenger cart generally pulled by a man) instead of a trishaw (vehicle pedalled by person). As I know Japan have rickshaw as attraction for tourist so your placement may be misinterpreted. I can understand placement of Samsui woman as there is a museum here on them. For your consideration, no offense intended. 

p/s: Not sure if you are using the site for your potential clients as well. If you are, you need someone to help you with spell-check, spotted some errors here and there. Would have been glad to help out but my english isn't that great either so don't want to lead you the wrong way. 

@van1981, Just managed to go thru some more of your works. Very impressed! Lego Crocodile nicely rendered and you didn't use a 3D software for this. Wow!! Whale Shark series must have taken you a lot of time to complete, what is the size of each work? My fave is whale shark 6. Nian look so kool and relax in East Asian folklore and mythnical creatures. of all the works, looking forward to see more from this series. by any chance do you have intention to have this dome in color?

Thanks Shyc. All the drawings in the commercial works are strictly followed what the client wants. I wont ask much why they wanna put. Im paid just to generate the illustration.

As for the hotel complaints. Try to think meticulously and deeply. Why the people are queueing in towels, some with toothbrush for WATER! :)

As for the rest...thanks dude. Yeah. the lego crocodile is fully done by adobe illustrator. The key its to vectorize it so it can be used in much bigger sizes for print.
Ya.Im very proud of myself for the whale shark illustrations. Again its requested from creative director for the specific style used.

As fr the East asian folklore and mythnical creatures gallery....i wish i will have more time to expand on that gallery or to color it one by one. As Im quite a meticulous artist..I believe it will take a long time for me to color all of them. Hahahaha...
I dont know much on Tibetan and mongolian mythnical creatures and critters.

@Jekyll , I took 6 months to paint that piece, this piece was my SYF artwork, the theme fo that year is Torch Of Friendship, this work itself reflect the the true meaning of friendship, friends can be a good influence or bad influence to oneself. Apart from that friend can be someone.would not even come across in your mind but the person could guide you along in your life throughout the journey. I was inspire by personal story and a few other people experiences who i come across in through out the process.

Hey Van, it has been a long time since we've chat and yea, I really like the 3d rendering you did for the lego crocodile.

Anyway guys, here's my latest drawing. 

2ibj1wg.jpg

I've not been drawing much lately, just don't feel like it. Enjoy!

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

I've not been drawing much lately, just don't feel like it. Enjoy!

your drawing is already of great standard. Not to worry about giving yourself a break. Pick it up when the mood is right again. If you force into it, most likely may not be satisfactory and you may end up disliking to draw at the end. Have abreak, have a kit-kat.

always wanted to try fashion illustration. how should i start? i got the materials already, like color markers, pencil, etc. but its just.. no idea how to start. :(

couple of ways to start. Some just draw what they like. Others look at books, magazines, references and follow, until you can pick out a style you like. Don't restrict yourself, just do it. Eventually you will find some direction. If all else fail than enrol in classes.

let Me throw in a question to spark some thoughts.

How did you fellow artist/individuals Discover and learn to appreciate art?

what certain point in life that you decided to take up art to be part of your life? Was an inspiration from some one you know? Or was It an incident that lead to this? Or it came naturally??

Nice topic.

I started way young. I doodled on home walls. I doodled on textbooks. I doodled on leftover exercise books from previous years primary level leftovers. Lol...

During kindergarten, i won once in an art competition in the community but got kicked out from a private school back then. As im too rebellious in my art techincs. As a kindergarten kid, I used my crayon the color the sun purple, the sea red and etc. Instead i draw policemen guided student cross the road.. its a elephant headed policeman and the children was animals walking on two legs.

Indeed a nice 'coming out' topic  ;)

I fall under "individuals who appreciate it naturally" category. I only doodle once a while on rather blue moon and most people can't appreciate my "so-call-art"  :o lol. As a child I love arts & crafts but never excel in them. Used to admire girls drawing cut-out paper dolls to change clothes. I could only trace fish drawings, cut them out and staple the mouthes. Than use a stick and tie magnet to use as fishing rod. As a teen, my life surrounded by artistic classmates who could draw fashions, cartoons etc out of blank paper. Got me curious for a while and I tried to memories them too. Drawing over and over again, one cartoon character head. Somethings are not meant to be learned thou cos till today if I were to draw them, people won't know who or what they are... :whistle: As a working adults, circle of people around me got me from visual art to performing arts. I admire people who can draw to people who perform. Since I can't do it well myself, best admire others doing it. Got introduced to short films at Substations, film/art/animation festivals, orchestra/drama/musical performances. Of course those who read earlier posting knew I used to love visiting galleries/museums. I think my appreciation of it was from one incident leading to another and I ended up being hooked on it. That why when someone post their blog/folio, I eagerly check them out. Most time I think I am too inquisitive and blunt in my comments. I like to know what goes on in their train of thought and if my view differ too far from theirs but I know lots of time this bluntness is not well received. It makes them feel like I m undermining their works. I enjoyed most the Q&A at the end of some shows where directors/actors/artists interact with the audience. 

How did you fellow artist/individuals Discover and learn to appreciate art?
what certain point in life that you decided to take up art to be part of your life? Was an inspiration from some one you know? Or was It an incident that lead to this? Or it came naturally??

As an individuals, it started since young, where during that particular era where colouring book become a must have item. So started to trace drawing from the colouring book and exchange with my classmate. I started to take art seriously when i step into secondary school life, where i develop my skill further. Still remember my first piece of artwork was Vincent Van Gogh, Starry Starry Night , a exact replicate of the original painting, that where i discover i do have the talent ,decided to further pursue it and got a few platform and opportunity to showcase my talent. It got me more personal with art, after a major breakdown in my life, that where art become a saving grace for me to express my thoughts and feeling to convey the emotion ,message through my art pieces. Through art it helps me to get over difficult situation and i learn to appreciate the talent that i am blessed with to put into a good used such as selling art piece for fund raising. :]

oh cool what an interesting we have got here, i guess i shall share with you guys my story as well!

Well, i've been drawing ever since I was little, so I can't possibly think of any specific time or date where I am interested in art all of a sudden, it just comes naturally with me. I would remember the days when my relatives would come over and I would draw doodles of bird families and the 26 alphabets with faces and on them of which my aunt really loved. 

I guess my mom ushered in my interest in art through the crafting activities that she would do with me, we played with plastercine, salt dough, finger paintings. I really had to thank her for that. 

Then, during my kindergarten days, I got hooked onto playing role playing games like Diablo 2 and warcraft 3 frozen throne and I really loved the idea of mythical creatures and buildings with a certain theme, not to mention the interesting spells and terrains. As a result, I would spend days drawing mmorpg maps, town plans, monsters, spells effects. Oh yea! diablo 2 had a skill tree system and the idea really caught onto me real quickly as the idea of unlocking powerful spells that are related to a specific element (fire, holy, shadow discipline) really excited me. I would use the jotter books with the large squares to draw my spell skill trees with individual icons for the different spells.

During my primary school days, I began creating my own 'pokemon' game called 'jub jub' lol and it featured a dice throwing game with hp and everything, with me as the game master. I had like mini cult following from there haha. good times.

Then in secondary school, I invented a 'risk' like country game, where all the countries in the world are renamed and players could have their own country with them being the ruler. We played our game through diplomacy and every move was made via newspaper articles. Had that going for 2 straight years. It was there when I did art as a subject formally, got to learn acrylics and basic drawing techniques, tho is more practical, it was during my JC days where I am exposed more to the theory and history of art with the various art movements and the implications they have on society.

Right now i'm studying art in a degree lvl! my story continues.

Edited by Clickclock

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

• 2 weeks later...

This is a belated news about TAV (The Artist Village)

Taken from www.businesstimes.com.sg/saturday20131129

PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 29, 2013
What's become of The Artists Village?
The new exhibition by the legendary art collective features several works by its young blood. But they are nowhere near as hard-hitting as those of its original members, says HELMI YUSOF

AT the centre of Jeremy Hiah's playful painting hangs a mechanical toy monkey. Clap your hands close to it and it starts to dance. Surrounding the monkey are the names of three art superstars - Damien Hirst, Jeff Koons and Fang Lijun.

Hiah, 41, is obviously making a point about commercially successful artists who prostitute themselves for the art market, making works they think would please art buyers instead of genuinely trying to push the boundaries of art and perception - as good artists are supposed to do.

Titled Portrait of the 20th Century Artist, it makes a strong statement about artists and the art market.

Unfortunately, it is one of very few standout works in the new exhibition by the legendary art collective The Artists Village (TAV) taking place at the Institute of Contemporary Arts Singapore, Lasalle College of the Arts.

Titled The Artists Village SHOW, it comprises 19 works by three generations of TAV artists. But more than half of the works are by its members below 35, and the weaknesses of the younger artists show.

Sophia Natasha Wei, 31, displays small pillows with illustrated images of female body parts surrounded by colourful patterns. The artist explains: "I am interested in how women are seen and represented. I chose pillows to print these images on, because the pillow is an intimate symbol." 

Though pretty to look at, her pillows are a far cry from the many hard-hitting works examining women's bodies by Amanda Heng, a pioneering member of TAV, who unfortunately is not showing at this exhibition.

Meanwhile, the melancholy photographs of Jason JS Lee, 28, titled Views From A Room, show windows of darkened rooms through which one can see the bright outside world. Wistful, quiet and elegant, they play with the insider/outsider binary. But they make one wish for the indelible Yellow Man photos from the 1990s by Lee Wen, also a pioneer of TAV not featured here, which explored the insider/outsider binary on a broader sociopolitical level.

Other works by young artists Shengen Lim, Cheng Guangfeng, Marienne Yang and Chua Chin Chin - all below 33 - also feel intimate, personal and insular, paling in comparison to the works of their pioneers who fearlessly engaged with their times.

TAV is the first artist colony to be set up in Singapore in 1988. Founded by famous iconoclast Tang Da Wu and others, it attracted Singapore's most prominent artists including Heng, Lee, Zai Kuning and Vincent Leow.

Their landmark events and exhibitions, including The Artists' General Assembly of 1994 that featured Josef Ng's controversial act of snipping his pubic hair, have certainly challenged the boundaries of taste.

In fact, in 2008 the Singapore Art Museum held a 20-year retrospective of TAV which featured the members' best-known works. They included Leow's 1993 bottles of urine titled The Artist's Urine, which critiques the commodification of art and the way popular artists recycle their ideas to please art buyers.

Though 15 years old, Leow's work still generated strong reactions from viewers at the 2008 retrospective, with angry letters being sent to the newspapers once again questioning the purpose of art.

Compare that to the largely soft, introspective works by the younger TAV artists and one wonders what's become of TAV.

That said, there are a few works that stand out. Urich Lau's two-channel video installation titled Life Circuit features, on one channel, a man wearing what looks like a gas mask. But in place of its eye windows are two mini-TV screens showing distorted images. On the other channel, you see images of yourself being captured live and also distorted. Playing with the circuitous idea of you watching yourself watch yourself, Lau gives a fresh twist to the concept of Big Brother.

Among the younger artists, one - Ezzam Rahman, 32 - shows a deeper engagement with the world. Ghost addresses the issue of child labour by imprinting baby doll limbs into cement slabs.

Meanwhile, among the three TAV's first-generation artists showing at the exhibition is 67-year-old Chng Seok Tin. Her Mr and Mrs Money shows two stick figures crushed flat under the weight of the gold ingots they're carrying.

Though obvious in its anti-materialist message, Chng's work does remind you of the wilder days of TAV when bolder artists enjoyed being the scourges of sociopolitical mores.

While it's laudable that The Artists Village is recruiting young blood into its ranks, one wishes the older artists would offer more guidance to the younger ones to create stronger, more meaningful works.

The Artist Village Show is on at the Institute of Contemporary Arts Singapore, Lasalle College of the Arts, from now till Dec 10. Opens 10am - 6pm, Tuesday to Sunday (except 1.30pm - 2.30pm) Closed on Mondays and public holidays. Admission is free

The Artists Village Show (2013)

Pulau Ubin Artist-in-Residency Program 

Edited by shyc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a belated news about TAV (The Artist Village)

Taken from www.businesstimes.com.sg/saturday20131129

PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 29, 2013
What's become of The Artists Village?
The new exhibition by the legendary art collective features several works by its young blood. But they are nowhere near as hard-hitting as those of its original members, says HELMI YUSOF

AT the centre of Jeremy Hiah's playful painting hangs a mechanical toy monkey. Clap your hands close to it and it starts to dance. Surrounding the monkey are the names of three art superstars - Damien Hirst, Jeff Koons and Fang Lijun.

Hiah, 41, is obviously making a point about commercially successful artists who prostitute themselves for the art market, making works they think would please art buyers instead of genuinely trying to push the boundaries of art and perception - as good artists are supposed to do.

Titled Portrait of the 20th Century Artist, it makes a strong statement about artists and the art market.

Unfortunately, it is one of very few standout works in the new exhibition by the legendary art collective The Artists Village (TAV) taking place at the Institute of Contemporary Arts Singapore, Lasalle College of the Arts.

Titled The Artists Village SHOW, it comprises 19 works by three generations of TAV artists. But more than half of the works are by its members below 35, and the weaknesses of the younger artists show.

Sophia Natasha Wei, 31, displays small pillows with illustrated images of female body parts surrounded by colourful patterns. The artist explains: "I am interested in how women are seen and represented. I chose pillows to print these images on, because the pillow is an intimate symbol." 

Though pretty to look at, her pillows are a far cry from the many hard-hitting works examining women's bodies by Amanda Heng, a pioneering member of TAV, who unfortunately is not showing at this exhibition.

Meanwhile, the melancholy photographs of Jason JS Lee, 28, titled Views From A Room, show windows of darkened rooms through which one can see the bright outside world. Wistful, quiet and elegant, they play with the insider/outsider binary. But they make one wish for the indelible Yellow Man photos from the 1990s by Lee Wen, also a pioneer of TAV not featured here, which explored the insider/outsider binary on a broader sociopolitical level.

Other works by young artists Shengen Lim, Cheng Guangfeng, Marienne Yang and Chua Chin Chin - all below 33 - also feel intimate, personal and insular, paling in comparison to the works of their pioneers who fearlessly engaged with their times.

TAV is the first artist colony to be set up in Singapore in 1988. Founded by famous iconoclast Tang Da Wu and others, it attracted Singapore's most prominent artists including Heng, Lee, Zai Kuning and Vincent Leow.

Their landmark events and exhibitions, including The Artists' General Assembly of 1994 that featured Josef Ng's controversial act of snipping his pubic hair, have certainly challenged the boundaries of taste.

In fact, in 2008 the Singapore Art Museum held a 20-year retrospective of TAV which featured the members' best-known works. They included Leow's 1993 bottles of urine titled The Artist's Urine, which critiques the commodification of art and the way popular artists recycle their ideas to please art buyers.

Though 15 years old, Leow's work still generated strong reactions from viewers at the 2008 retrospective, with angry letters being sent to the newspapers once again questioning the purpose of art.

Compare that to the largely soft, introspective works by the younger TAV artists and one wonders what's become of TAV.

That said, there are a few works that stand out. Urich Lau's two-channel video installation titled Life Circuit features, on one channel, a man wearing what looks like a gas mask. But in place of its eye windows are two mini-TV screens showing distorted images. On the other channel, you see images of yourself being captured live and also distorted. Playing with the circuitous idea of you watching yourself watch yourself, Lau gives a fresh twist to the concept of Big Brother.

Among the younger artists, one - Ezzam Rahman, 32 - shows a deeper engagement with the world. Ghost addresses the issue of child labour by imprinting baby doll limbs into cement slabs.

Meanwhile, among the three TAV's first-generation artists showing at the exhibition is 67-year-old Chng Seok Tin. Her Mr and Mrs Money shows two stick figures crushed flat under the weight of the gold ingots they're carrying.

Though obvious in its anti-materialist message, Chng's work does remind you of the wilder days of TAV when bolder artists enjoyed being the scourges of sociopolitical mores.

While it's laudable that The Artists Village is recruiting young blood into its ranks, one wishes the older artists would offer more guidance to the younger ones to create stronger, more meaningful works.

The Artist Village Show is on at the Institute of Contemporary Arts Singapore, Lasalle College of the Arts, from now till Dec 10. Opens 10am - 6pm, Tuesday to Sunday (except 1.30pm - 2.30pm) Closed on Mondays and public holidays. Admission is free

The Artists Village Show (2013)

Pulau Ubin Artist-in-Residency Program 

Cool shyc. Is the artists village show part of a local art club???

Cool shyc. Is the artists village show part of a local art club???

hi Van1981. I am no longer active in this circle so may not be able to inform u much. From my past experience, in SG there are pockets of places which have or houses groups or team of artistans. They may or may not be locals. Artists Village is one of the pioneer in this form of collection. Places like the old Seletar Airbase used to be another art village but have since been closed.

You need to mingle around this places to know more as it is not common knowledge here as they do little publicity. I may however direct you to a few sites for further read up.

Collection of art galleries: http://gillmanbarracks.com/

Something similar to Artists Village: https://www.facebook.com/ArtWalkWessex

For films / photography: http://www.objectifs.com.sg/

For films / photography / arts: http://www.substation.org/

Ceramic arts: http://jbcssg.com/

They used to host monthly open house where you get to meet and chat with ceramic artists.

But I think this might interest you the most (if u haven't already know about):

http://www.oicsingapore.com/wordpress/

They used to host monthly portraiture drawing at Red Dot Museum. You get to mingle with learning / startup illustrators to professionals.

Hope this is of help. As I mention I have stopped going to this places and may not give you updated info. Please check their sites for latest info before going over.

hi Van1981. I am no longer active in this circle so may not be able to inform u much. From my past experience, in SG there are pockets of places which have or houses groups or team of artistans. They may or may not be locals. Artists Village is one of the pioneer in this form of collection. Places like the old Seletar Airbase used to be another art village but have since been closed.

You need to mingle around this places to know more as it is not common knowledge here as they do little publicity. I may however direct you to a few sites for further read up.

Collection of art galleries: http://gillmanbarracks.com/

Something similar to Artists Village: https://www.facebook.com/ArtWalkWessex

For films / photography: http://www.objectifs.com.sg/

For films / photography / arts: http://www.substation.org/

Ceramic arts: http://jbcssg.com/

They used to host monthly open house where you get to meet and chat with ceramic artists.

But I think this might interest you the most (if u haven't already know about):

http://www.oicsingapore.com/wordpress/

They used to host monthly portraiture drawing at Red Dot Museum. You get to mingle with learning / startup illustrators to professionals.

Hope this is of help. As I mention I have stopped going to this places and may not give you updated info. Please check their sites for latest info before going over.

Thanks Shyc

• 2 months later...