Male HQ

Open Club  ·  137 members

Gardening

Gardening Enthusiasts

Clickclock

9 hours ago, The.Intrv. said:

... did grab a few clumps of Spanish moss though. Heh. 

Prey tell where we can grab them too? :pray::shhh:

On 3/5/2019 at 5:00 AM, shyc said:

Prey tell where we can grab them too? :pray::shhh:

I grab my shit from Pick a Plant. Their prices are sorta reasonable. If you're not residing in the west and find it a hassle to travel to their CCK nursery, they have these pop-up stores at random shopping malls from time to time too.

For these flaws I lament.

On 3/6/2019 at 8:28 AM, The.Intrv. said:

I grab my shit from Pick a Plant. Their prices are sorta reasonable. If you're not residing in the west and find it a hassle to travel to their CCK nursery, they have these pop-up stores at random shopping malls from time to time too.

true they will , follow their fb too, they will keep u updates of their pop up stores

Sometimes, i feel as plant lovers, we cannot just focus on a hobby 
Shinji Yamasaki  (C suite of beauty pdts) shared his love for odd-looking plants: 
Jp (land of fashion and tech, i trust all of u knew without introduction) esp wierd looking ones , he mentioned (i hope that incld CP)

2 minutes ago, lookseelooksee said:

Thanks for sharing the video, the son is cute and I bet he likes a certain type of succulent (the human type) most of all :D His suits are very nice though.

huh? i tot he is straight

He carrys the suit very well. Could had been great to see more of his unique succulents :rolleyes: and really curious how he could look in the deep pinky-red double breasted suit. Nice video to wake up to, thx.

On 3/19/2019 at 8:17 AM, lookseelooksee said:

I saw a box of tillandsias a.k.a. air plants on sale at this aquarium store in Chinatown (just behind Cruise).

The air plants were going for $3.50 to $4.50. Worth checking out if you're in the vicinity.

so convenient for plant lovers and can seeseelooklook into Cruise!

Who grow plants usin aquariums too ? those self sustaining concepts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 10:24 PM, lookseelooksee said:

Isn't it wonderful that it's raining more regularly, so that plants are coming back to life?

The weaker strains will rot.

Time to apply slug and snail killers, as well as those for sucking insects.

It all depends on if you want yourself a nursery, garden or God Forbids, landscaping. 

Was walking acros an overhead bridge and came across a tree with load of newly sprouted bright green leaves on its almost barren branches. Amazed by how fast it had grown with just some rain over the passed days. The beauty of nature a sight to behold. Sorry no Picts to share, sometime such experiences can only be appreciated in person on site.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, lookseelooksee said:

I have been to the Chatuchak Plant and Flower Market, it's phenomenal and a must-see for plant lovers!

If there is one plant market you must visit in the whole of Thailand, it's this one.

Go at night after dinner e.g. 8 or 9 p.m. and you can digest your dinner while walking around the plant market in the cool of the night. Don't go during the day as it can be very hot.

your tips not adequate leh

they r opened mainly thu and before 

Not on fri-weekends , if i  m not wrong (pls re confirm)

my advice is not to rush  in when it is close to closing hours

not all work till the dot, some might end off earlier (so not advisable to reach there at 8pm to help close the stalls)

1 hour ago, lookseelooksee said:

The link already states the opening days and hours.

Eeeeee then u obviously mislead your readers/membrs

the link obvious stated 

Wed-Thu 8am-5pm

u still recommend after 8pm kind of timing

plssssssssd

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, wilfgene said:

If the flowers are purple, it may be very poisonous.

The name escapes me.

Hahaha, indeed the flowers are purple and it is the seeds that are very poisonous. But similarly the name escapes me. In Africa we call it an “Olieboom”.  

In fact, in English this is a Thorn Apple and also known as Belladonna. Very poisonous milk and seeds for humans and pets.

Edited by Sh3rlock

On 5/18/2019 at 1:26 AM, wilfgene said:

If the flowers are purple, it may be very poisonous.

The name escapes me.

On 5/18/2019 at 7:11 AM, Sh3rlock said:

Hahaha, indeed the flowers are purple and it is the seeds that are very poisonous. But similarly the name escapes me. In Africa we call it an “Olieboom”.  

In fact, in English this is a Thorn Apple and also known as Belladonna. Very poisonous milk and seeds for humans and pets.

Only to pass by an egg-plant yesterday with light purple flowers.

13 hours ago, wilfgene said:

Only to pass by an egg-plant yesterday with light purple flowers.

I m confused? So does that means the above pict by looks relook see is egg-plant? Excuse my ignorance, just can't tell one plant from another. 

On 5/22/2019 at 1:54 PM, AnH said:

Heard of Gardeners' Day Out?

One just passed, another will be coming on the 20th July at HortPark

yup it is practically like a regular event
more and more selling CP (Carnivorous plants)

all started using carousell to sell
https://sg.carousell.com/p/le-jardine-vintage-french-ceramic-plant-pot-193882720/ - quite reasonable pricing dont have to go all the way to what World farm

Many grps in carousell to ask qns too
https://sg.carousell.com/g/flowers-sg/
https://sg.carousell.com/g/succulents-cacti-enthusiasts-sg/
https://sg.carousell.com/g/airplants-sg/

not just worn undies :
https://sg.carousell.com/dappermen/
dispose your Huawei cos of that ....https://sg.carousell.com/p/huawei-mate-20-pro-230711852/
unicorn is the new thing from toy to cafe to icream https://sg.carousell.com/p/tokidoki-unicorn-plush-toy-20cm-230712279/

Was surprised that they sell chinese bamboos too
https://sg.carousell.com/p/bamboo-tall-227733628

https://sg.carousell.com/p/bamboo-plants-1-5mh-2mh-224918008/

How do we keep bamboos indoor (without strong sunlight that means) yet not wetting our living room? any idea?
I dont have space or garden 

36 minutes ago, Sh3rlock said:

Sumus semper in excreta sunt sed alta variant. We are always in the sh1t...:D

Nice..I shall quote you henceforth. Thanks :)

This came up as a recommendation while I was watching YouTube. Tot it's beautiful and want to share it. A friend gave me once when she visit me unfortunately I didn't know how to take care of it and all the plants inside rotted. This reminded me of the happier times.

2 hours ago, shyc said:

This came up as a recommendation while I was watching YouTube. Tot it's beautiful and want to share it. A friend gave me once when she visit me unfortunately I didn't know how to take care of it and all the plants inside rotted. This reminded me of the happier times.

Never been a fan of artificially controlled environment.

How about live and let die?

No offence.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone seen this plant in shops or nurseries?

Polyscias balfouriana 'Pennockii

I am growing plants with different foilages along my corridor. No direct sunlight. Only indirect light but bright.

Tks.

Polyscias balfouriana 'Pennockii'.jpg

Edited by Gardien76

• 2 weeks later...

Green Culture may be able to do this

saw somewhere in youTube that it's like a tutorial by a japanese doing like this but his is more to landscape than a forest look

• 1 month later...

Caught a glimpse of mistaking  月下美人 for 昙花 part.

Rich, obviously and crazy, or self-deluded.

Racial and sub-group discrimination way off topic,

I hope nobody here paid directly for the movie.

Still nobody with a picture of the Hokkien narcissus?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Since u r here said:

expensive? or rare to find? but why just this?
Did u try the Carousellers or Candy? those nursery at Thompson

I like Caladiums haha.

Yeah i tried those nurseries but they are all different cultivars of Caladiums

Carousell the price is quite ex and its the corm of the Caladium so i cannot be sure its the cultivar that i want. 

3 minutes ago, Since u r here said:

i think the moonlight that you wanted may not come cheap and rem dont ever go online to purchase from overseas (even so much more expensive) 
https://sg.carousell.com/p/caladium-white-christmas-angel-wings-237217359/?ref=search&ref_query=caladium&ref_referrer=%2Fsearch%2Fproducts%2F%3Fquery%3Dcaladium&ref_reqId=uCVVI0rtKgDWXWBPoRv2DeHWRtuuL8zw

one way is to ask the seller whether do they have the specific u wanted

eg @ tiongbhru mkt , the seller will ask us to tell him straight what do we need and they will go and search for it
of course pick the area which is nearer to u, rem not to go to bedok - they said very expensive (jus cos they use better pot)
my friend told me that she saw them imported from China, they paint on the Haworthia to make it look shinier , this is cruelty to plants!

Thanks for the information, i will try tiongbahru market :)  

20 hours ago, Since u r here said:

how much u guys spent on a 'Plant" ? can we do a survey pls?
My highest amount is S$10+ to under 20sgd per plant
Never more than that!
eg this is big maybe 6cm (diameter) or more but already costing more than 70sgd
one small pc of Astro usually cost S$10 sgd for less than 2cm diameter

For New Year decorations,

S$50 or over.

But no more Camellias.

One rarely available blooming orchid will do.

On 8/17/2019 at 10:49 PM, Yaoi said:

Does anyone know where can i get some Caladium 'Moonlight"?

Image result for moonlight caladium

Hello Yaoi, not familiar with foliage plants so googled Caladium 'Moonlight'. It seems to require quite cool temperature. Can it survive in our climate? Pardon me for the noob question. 

Be cool, like a breeze...

On 8/18/2019 at 2:39 PM, Since u r here said:

Never more than that!

So far only spent on Tillandsia and it generally costs a few bucks a piece but due to its size, can amount to a few tens of dollars to get a cluster of them. Aquatic plants are even more expensive but luckily I don't have to keep replenishing them as the previous ones I got still doing ok. I didn't get the delicate one though, only got the hardy liverworts. 

7 hours ago, Coolbriz said:

Hello Yaoi, not familiar with foliage plants so googled Caladium 'Moonlight'. It seems to require quite cool temperature. Can it survive in our climate? Pardon me for the noob question. 

Hi Coolbriz, its false that Caladium requires cool temperature. In fact, it thrives in warm climate like ours.

It is part of Caladium bicolor and its cultivars' normal growth cycle to undergo a period of above ground growth and underground dormant resting state.

Whenever the condition is unfavorable for Caladiums (e.g. too cold, not enough water) they will undergo dormancy.

19 minutes ago, Yaoi said:

Hi Coolbriz, its false that Caladium requires cool temperature. In fact, it thrives in warm climate like ours.

It is part of Caladium bicolor and its cultivars' normal growth cycle to undergo a period of above ground growth and underground dormant resting state.

Whenever the condition is unfavorable for Caladiums (e.g. too cold, not enough water) they will undergo dormancy.

Ic. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing picture of your Caladium when you got it eventually.

Edited by Coolbriz

On 8/19/2019 at 4:49 PM, Since u r here said:

i luv Orchids, but but once they whither, it took long to blossom again (long means years)
even the florists told us - dont bother, just throw

That's probably hybrid primarily for commercial cut flowers,

not all species are expensive. 

21 hours ago, Yaoi said:

you try some sellers from FB

eg. Rabbit Island

Or you can join this FB group - Variegated Plant Collectors Singapore where you might find someone who has it or can get it

Alternatively you can visit Gardeners' Day Out at Hortpark 

On 8/18/2019 at 2:39 PM, Since u r here said:

Never more than that!

geez... averagely around 40-50sgd for my cactuses... 

12 hours ago, Since u r here said:

True! 

I m trying to propagate something nt available in sg too.

but again not everyone is interested in the colllection of what one’s currenly having.

eg someone could be madly into airplants or succulents, but not the others.

Some find succulents r more for drier temperate ctries but many insisted on challenging in sg..

some even asked me to share getting the soil from other overseas supplier!!

Yes, i knw, generally orchids are not too expensive but how expensive per pot is considered expensive to u?

Some varieties of succulents are not difficult to grow in our climate, eg. gymnocalycium,; if you get from the 'right' sellers whose succulents has already climatised, it will be easier for you to maintain...the soil medium are readily available in most nurseries but so far Candy's has a good selection 

At the last GDO, i saw a booth selling young orchid plants with pictures of the bloom which looks very different from most you will see... the prices averagely 70sgd