Male HQ

Open Club  ·  137 members

Gardening

Gardening Enthusiasts

Clickclock

14 hours ago, dreamerSG said:

Hi I am new to gardening.

Attempted to grow lavender in those commerical ready to grow pot thing. The seedlings sprout but the leaves started turning brown and died. Removed all the dead plants and tried replanting but they dont grow any more. Not sure if the soil is "dirty".

Anyone know where to purchase soil for lavender seeds?

Thanks.

Since you are new,

do keep in mind of a difference between Garden and Nursery.

Lavender, worse than Rosemary,  however high-tech the hybrid, is NOT cut out for Natural Local Climate.

Basil?

Why am I keep reminded of Sex?    

6 hours ago, bluesky69 said:

hi 

i m a hdb dweller

i would like to start with herbs... and maybe move on to orchid after that.

how do i start? can pm me ...

any advice is much appreciated.

There is a 1day course on growing herbs. Course fee can be paid using Skillfuture $. Go Google for detail. 

On 10/21/2018 at 12:02 PM, bluesky69 said:

hi 

i m a hdb dweller

Out on the corridor or Greenhouse, that's the question.

Without sufficient light, natural or otherwise, I doubt the Dill will flower.

You may not notice it, but we are so close to the equator, the angle from which The Sun sheds light on your plants varies vastly between Summer and Winter Solstice.

Edited by wilfgene

On 10/19/2018 at 10:52 AM, dreamerSG said:

Hi I am new to gardening.

Attempted to grow lavender in those commerical ready to grow pot thing. The seedlings sprout but the leaves started turning brown and died. Removed all the dead plants and tried replanting but they dont grow any more. Not sure if the soil is "dirty".

Anyone know where to purchase soil for lavender seeds?

Thanks.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:02 PM, bluesky69 said:

hi 

i m a hdb dweller

U can consider joining the fb grp

coming to 30K mbrs in sg, they shared useful tips and conduct events, no news and tv programmes in sg about plants will be missed
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sgurbanfarmers/about/

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, lookseelooksee said:

You can create one on LINE or WhatsApp and invite people to join.

I have done chat groups of other topic of interest. Sadly, they did not turn out what I would like them to be. So, I’m not going to create any new chat groups for the time being. Thanks for asking. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

Hi!
Any CNY flower mkt

last year there is a big 1 right at Chinatwn but not for this yr

Probably too high the rent.

Unless extremely exotic, considering the hot weather now,  highly advisable to buy them as close to New Year as possible.

Haha my air plants (I think it is called Spanish Moss Fine Form or Tillandsia usneoides) is dying on me as I type. And this is the 2nd batches I got. It just slowly drying out without much new growth. 

Growing of arrowheads during CNY are common practise. The tall arrowhead leaves is symbolic of advancement and progress. Just like having, pussy willows signify wealth and good luck. I have also visited family who just leave a white radish on a shallow bowl of water during CNY, also symbolic of having a great year. 

Besides if I m growing to make into snacks, I probably have to wait till middle of the year for the new bulbs to form. Anyway these are also grown in small vases so they won't last long before it start to wilt.

those worried about not having green fingers?
b it thillandsia or whatever succulents, for those who dislike killing plants
Akemi is selling the artificial ones too (looked so real, even provide the bottle to contain them!)

Spruce up your decor for the CNY

On 1/21/2019 at 4:42 PM, -Ignored- said:

those worried about not having green fingers?
b it thillandsia or whatever succulents, for those who dislike killing plants
Akemi is selling the artificial ones too (looked so real, even provide the bottle to contain them!)

Spruce up your decor for the CNY

With artificially controlled growing environment readily available, it is a matter of how much hearth and money you ask from yourself.

You may care to not equate plants with sex dolls.

25 minutes ago, lookseelooksee said:

This year got many small temporary flower stalls all over Singapore, last night I was at Bedok interchange, saw a flower stall next to NTUC Fairprice with some very nice plants.

tks i think far east floral is everywhere from Tangs to robinsons ...for the high end

Else is giant and ntuc

1 hour ago, lookseelooksee said:

Try spraying diluted urine on the roots, that should do the trick!

I don't think there is any roots for the air plants or at least not that my eyes can see. Anyway it is left to destiny cos most of the parts are dried up. May be the strong sun and wind had speed up the drying out process. Saw them selling at $10 each strand of about 1 foot hanging by an ornament. Gosh there goes my 40 bucks. :(

1 hour ago, lookseelooksee said:

This year got many small temporary flower stalls all over Singapore, last night I was at Bedok interchange, saw a flower stall next to NTUC Fairprice with some very nice plants.

Ya! My mom bought 2 pots of hanging plants there. 

Be cool, like a breeze...

2 minutes ago, shyc said:

I don't think there is any roots for the air plants or at least not that my eyes can see. Anyway it is left to destiny cos most of the parts are dried up. May be the strong sun and wind had speed up the drying out process. Saw them selling at $10 each strand of about 1 foot hanging by an ornament. Gosh there goes my 40 bucks. :(

Ya Spanish moss seems more demanding. Mine looks quite dry too despite watering everyday. Some air plants might develop aerial roots, if not spray on leaves should be the same. Interesting to learn that can really use urine to spray on plants! I know urine contains urea but it’s tricky to ensure that it gets converted to its inorganic form for plant uptake.

Be cool, like a breeze...

I haven't used urine cos my plants are all indoors, don't want the smell to linger. As it is when I use kitchen scraps like corn husks, top and ends of veggies as organic fertiliser they attract unwanted insects. 

If you go to wet markets or now most of the pop up flowers stalls for CNY do carry hanging ornaments with a string of 1 foot Spanish moss. They are so green just like how mine was but over times it turning greyish and now just dried up and dark brown. Read up that spraying mist of water may not be enough if the placement area are windy so had already soak for an hour or more once a week but still not much help. A matter of time before all green parts become brown. Sad.

With over a week left, quite pleased with the current growth of my arrowhead plant. Slightly over a foot atm.

If my dying Spanish moss survived till after CNY, I will try the 'pee solution'. Atm gonna just pray hard it don't get worst than this.

Edited by shyc

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 7:22 PM, lookseelooksee said:

The plants in the link below are all fertilized with diluted pee and only diluted pee. Some of the plants are 10 years old.

https://singapore-gardener.tumblr.com/

all yours??????
envy u hve space!

but it s wrong to say that most plants dislike sunlight , some needed more
Eg asters
or zinnia 
(those u r growing really dislike full sun)
https://www.almanac.com/plant/zinnias?fbclid=IwAR2E8ti2yYDlIyhO1K1Q_aQXNpDq9nL17tW8Dbs3Fac7NcOlC7pTClADMJw
or chrys https://florafaunaweb.nparks.gov.sg/Special-Pages/plant-detail.aspx?id=8018

No no

those r larger/taller greeneries

i just bought a cny flower, nt even 16sgd but below

it has the better maintained ones and i agreed which is why invited to Tangs or robinsons to sell too

some told me they went to “world farm”, but theirs didnt grow well

anyone getting flowers on valentine's day

the focus this year is eternity flowers (not plastic flowers hor, they cannot live for long, maybe 3years)

Some will argue are they just like straw flowers

For those who truly want to learn or to spread knowledge: i noticed not all r into talks, env sustainability ....

8 minutes ago, lookseelooksee said:

Are you going?

still planning which one the kids are able to make it

Some here: too (but i liked the one above)

https://artoflovemakersmarket.splashthat.com/?fbclid=IwAR0lSzIr0QzDBR3bwvvkZeTWEI4ZHlsS4ucImpfo7ZnWrUQX67yfXzJyMAw

• 2 weeks later...

Are any of you a fan of the butterfly pea plant? This is the plant I'm referring to :

Image result for butterfly pea plantWould like to learn how to cultivate them. What I did previously was harvest the dried pods, select the bigger seeds, put them on a shallow tray which has a piece of moist tissue and made sure it is kept moist till I see shoots sprouting out of the seeds. Not a single seed sprout unfortunately... :D

1 hour ago, marky said:

Are any of you a fan of the butterfly pea plant?

Would like to learn how to cultivate them. What I did previously was harvest the dried pods, select the bigger seeds, put them on a shallow tray which has a piece of moist tissue and made sure it is kept moist till I see shoots sprouting out of the seeds. Not a single seed sprout unfortunately... :D

That the same way we used to do it too. Thot that is the only way? 

I had the same issue with germinating basil from seeds I found in the basil I buy from wet market. I did it once and it sprouted but subsequent attempts all fail to germinate. Did the same method of picking out dried seeds from dried up basil flowers and lay them on wet/moist cotton pads. 

Would be grateful to know if there is any particular reason/s why sometimes it germinate while other times it doesn't.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:52 PM, marky said:

Are any of you a fan of the butterfly pea plant? This is the plant I'm referring to :

Image result for butterfly pea plantWould like to learn how to cultivate them. What I did previously was harvest the dried pods, select the bigger seeds, put them on a shallow tray which has a piece of moist tissue and made sure it is kept moist till I see shoots sprouting out of the seeds. Not a single seed sprout unfortunately... :D

Did the seeds rot? If so then maybe it was too moist. Why not germinate the seeds in soil? I hv tried growing bluepea from seeds using soil. It works but then not all seeds germinated.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:45 PM, shyc said:

I had the same issue with germinating basil from seeds I found in the basil I buy from wet market. I did it once and it sprouted but subsequent attempts all fail to germinate. Did the same method of picking out dried seeds from dried up basil flowers and lay them on wet/moist cotton pads. 

Would be grateful to know if there is any particular reason/s why sometimes it germinate while other times it doesn't.

Seeds, even the specially packaged ones, might have been damaged on the way to your place, deliberately or otherwise, or even genetically engineered to not reproduce.

On 2/23/2019 at 7:58 PM, lookseelooksee said:

I love this plant very much as the blue flowers are so pretty and the dark green leaves are soft and delicate.

I have a pot of blue pea a.k.a. butterfly pea growing in my garden right now. I bought it 3 years ago from Chye Heng Orchid Nursery. After buying it, I carried it to the nursery next door, Katong Flower Shop. The boss of Katong Flower Shop asked me where I got the blue pea and I said Chye Heng. Then he shared that it was hard to find blue pea at nurseries any more.

If you want free blue pea saplings, there is a huge blue pea plant growing wild next to the road outside house number 23 Lorong Mydin (3 minutes' walk from Kembangan MRT Station). At the base of this mature blue pea plant are many small saplings which you can carefully uproot and bring home to transplant into a pot.

But take note that blue pea requires full sun to bloom, so don't bother growing it in the shade.

Got the previous strain from Fort Road Beach.

They can be used in cooking. 

all  of u know that this plant has a unique nickname? that some gays may not even dare to get close

1 minute ago, Yaoi said:

Clitoria ternatea... lol

bingo! tks for sharing 

(BW forums must be a place ie value-adding and informative pls!)

A gathering of scientist and expertise of subject matters: hopefully some wont find us nerdy!!!

You can propagate them by stem cuttings, its much easier.

Place the stem cuttings in partial shade during the initial stage and subsequently shift them to full sun once they have rooted and establish new leaves.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:45 PM, shyc said:

You can try propagating basil from stem cuttings, it is also much easier. You need to keep their leaves dry as they are very prone to rotting when wet.

There is no particular reason why some seeds germinate while other does not. Since not all seeds will successfully germinate, nature has selected for the plant to produce many many seeds to increase the survivability of that particular species. Hope that answer your question.

32 minutes ago, Yaoi said:

You can try propagating basil from stem cuttings, it is also much easier. You need to keep their leaves dry as they are very prone to rotting when wet.

There is no particular reason why some seeds germinate while other does not. Since not all seeds will successfully germinate...

Guess I don't have green fingers. Friends' Moms had successfully grown pots of roses from stem cuttings. Unfortunately my attempts with basil, mint, curry leaves and dill all failed. Initially looks ok, maybe a small growth but before the plant can stabilise and grow roots it usually turn brown and dried up. Not sure where I went wrong, have already place them away from direct sun. Resisting the urge to get commercial roots growing hormones. 

Understand about not all seeds germinate. Managed to germinate every single basil seeds that was harvested in one batch and eventually few plants reach adulthood. They eventually died after a short trip oversea with no one to water them. Subsequent attempts however had completely failed with not a single seeds showing signs of germination. Maybe beginners luck on the first batch. 

Nevertheless many thanks for the various inputs, have learned few tips here and there. Still much to learn on my end. After all who else is capable of killing cactus and air plants like I do :D

1 hour ago, shyc said:

Guess I don't have green fingers. Friends' Moms had successfully grown pots of roses from stem cuttings. Unfortunately my attempts with basil, mint, curry leaves and dill all failed. Initially looks ok, maybe a small growth but before the plant can stabilise and grow roots it usually turn brown and dried up. Not sure where I went wrong, have already place them away from direct sun. Resisting the urge to get commercial roots growing hormones. 

Understand about not all seeds germinate. Managed to germinate every single basil seeds that was harvested in one batch and eventually few plants reach adulthood. They eventually died after a short trip oversea with no one to water them. Subsequent attempts however had completely failed with not a single seeds showing signs of germination. Maybe beginners luck on the first batch. 

Nevertheless many thanks for the various inputs, have learned few tips here and there. Still much to learn on my end. After all who else is capable of killing cactus and air plants like I do :D

No worries. From what i know, herbs such as basil, mint and dill are usually challenging to propagate as they are very fragile (rot very easily, requires certain environmental conditions).

I would advise you to get a pot of fully grown herb instead of investing your money on rooting hormones because as mentioned above (they rot easily etc.). Although rooting hormone might increase the chances of successful propagation, different species of plant respond differently to different concentrations of rooting hormone. The most commonly used rooting hormone is Auxin and its synthetic derivatives. To put it simply, under normal conditions, a very high level of auxin will suppress growth while lower levels of auxin will stimulate growth and this concentration varies with plant species. Generally rooting hormones are used for more woody species of plants such as Ixora and bougainvillea. I hope that helps.

20 minutes ago, Yaoi said:

... I hope that helps.

Oh tat is most helpful :thumb:

at least now I know for sure it is not as easy as hocus pocus and the root will grow.

not a big gardener here, just passing time with what is available, hence germinating seeds from market produce when available. 

not planning to invest much since most time the plants don't last long in my place with limited sunlight.

besides I do enjoy watching them sprouts and grow just for fun.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:33 PM, shyc said:

This is how I manage to keep my plants hydrated when I'm away for a week... Just get any bottles and fill it up with water and using a long strip of water absorbent material, put one end in the water bottle and the other into the soil of the plant. This way, water gets fed into the the drier container. Hope this helps ^_^

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-03 at 17.17.35.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-03 at 17.17.23.jpeg

On 2/22/2019 at 10:31 PM, Nightshade said:

Did the seeds rot? If so then maybe it was too moist. Why not germinate the seeds in soil? I hv tried growing bluepea from seeds using soil. It works but then not all seeds germinated.

Thanks! Will try that out.

17 hours ago, marky said:

This is how I manage to keep my plants hydrated when I'm away for a week... Just get any bottles and fill it up with water and using a long strip of water absorbent material, put one end in the water bottle and the other into the soil of the plant. This way, water gets fed into the the drier container. Hope this helps ^_^