Male HQ

What Is Your All Time Favorite Song? (compiled)

reflection

If you think MC has all the soul her music, that means she;s got to be smart. But smart people won't star in some superficially hilarious movie like

Glitter.

Remember?

That was a box office failure, with boos from many flim and movie critics. No one gave a shit about that.

Mention it to some hard fan MC fans, that probably stir some embarrassment

If she is so well respected, she won't be the butt of some MadTv's joke.

I am not here to prove anything. Those clips just take the words out of my word.

Edited by TheVisitors

What's next? Aretha Franklin has no soul because she released endless string of post-1975 disco duds and adult contemporary blandness? John Lennon has no soul because he released three completely unlistenable experimental nonsense with Yoko Ono? Stevie Wonder has no soul because he gave a standing ovation to someone as soulless as Mariah Carey?

Soul =/= Smartness =/= Career Nadir

And most obvious of all, Vocal Prowess =/= Movie Career or Media Portrayal

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Guest MC...hammer

Just because he listen to some unknown goldie singers from the 40s doesn't make him a musical genius.

Theres a reason why MC was the female artist of the millennium. To say her singing is screaming and then compared her to some death unknown singers was hilarious. Don't even understand the point of mentioning her acting skills.

Guest headtonevoice

wow. this seems like a pretty peaceful thread. please guys, lets keep it at this. :) no bashing. :)

Anyway as for the topic, when it comes to power belting I personally, again, personally prefer

1. Regine Velasquez

2. Whitney Houston

3. Mariah Carey

But when it comes to High Notes:

1. Mariah Carey

2. Regine Velaquez

3. Whitney Houston

Mariah has a very unique voice. She has this raspy kind of voice (low reg) but she sounds very light/ full at heads and chests. :) her transitions from registers are flawless. As for Regine, when it comes to raw vocal power, she is superb. She can belt in pure chest at about F#5's. Her G5's, A5's, and Bb5's are well mixed that she doesn't have to resort to falsetto to reach them. And for Whitney, she has such an incredible soul. The voice is full of emotions that's probably the reason why she has been classified as a dramatic soprano. :)

Oh lets not forget Georgia Brown http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtJHz5jwG0I

This is just crazy! This is pitch (Hertz). not really power (Decibels). :)

What's next? Aretha Franklin has no soul because she released endless string of post-1975 disco duds and adult contemporary blandness? John Lennon has no soul because he released three completely unlistenable experimental nonsense with Yoko Ono? Stevie Wonder has no soul because he gave a standing ovation to someone as soulless as Mariah Carey?

Soul =/= Smartness =/= Career Nadir

And most obvious of all, Vocal Prowess =/= Movie Career or Media Portrayal

I didn't sat Aretha and Stevie have no soul, so kid, please don't put words in my mouth.

Please highlight to me which sentence I wrote, describing those two wonderful veterans as souless, or do you know not understand what you are debating.

If you want to show me how much you know about the human vocal, I suggest you go read up the following books

- The Mystic of Sound by Hazrat Inayat Khan

- The Power of Sound by Joshua Leed

-The Healing Power of the Human Voice by Jane D'Angalo

-Uncovering the Voice & The Cleansing Power of Sound by Valborg Werbeck Svardstrom

-The Alchemy of Voice by Stewart Peace

and other related books before you tell me how much you know about the human voice

This Alterrnative Music Thread was started by you. You mentioned and praised MC who is a commercial mainstream singer.

What does a main commercial singer got to do with Alternative Music?

I really wonder who is the one who doesn't know his homework well.

Edited by TheVisitors

Just because he listen to some unknown goldie singers from the 40s doesn't make him a musical genius.

Theres a reason why MC was the female artist of the millennium. To say her singing is screaming and then compared her to some death unknown singers was hilarious. Don't even understand the point of mentioning her acting skills.

Another who don't even know his homework. The singers I mentioned were in the 80s. Hello, they are still alive. Obviously you have a very poor knowledge of singers and their era.

Just because some good singers are long gone, that doesn't mean we are not allowed to mention their names here. Just because you yourself, due to your ignorance, have never heard of them, doesn't mean they aren't good as what you would like to think them as

Someone mentioned MC has soul in her music. If she was that soulful, good and as fantastic as what he mentioned her to be, she wouldn't even had acted in some C grade movie, and made a fool of herself.

Everyone knows thah she once married some old powerful fart who runs Sony, just to boost her own career,

Soulful yeah ?

Edited by TheVisitors

I didn't sat Aretha and Stevie have no soul, so kid, please don't put words in my mouth.

No, you didn't. But those are clear extensions of the logic you proposed.

If someone's going to make a point by overplaying occasional bad career moves, then so would the case apply to the Greats of the above. The very fact that you disagree Aretha and Stevie should be regarded as having no soul just because of such irrelevant issues, quite ironically, has rebutted your own point about Mariah and Glitter/MadTV.

This Alterrnative Music Thread was started by you. You mentioned and praised MC who is a commercial mainstream singer.

What does a main commercial singer got to do with Alternative Music?

:huh:

Wrong thread, man.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

I found all your comments extremely hilarious. MC has no soul? And she screams?

Liking to different genres of music is subjective but imposing what YOU think has this "soul" thing that you kept mentioning is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You may be older, but looking at your choice of yawn inducing singers, I don't find it surprising. Age has nothing to do with choice of music.

Derry, I wouldn't be bothered with someone who thinks he's old and "wise" and so everyone's whose younger have to listen to all his BS and be labelled as "kid". The moment he says MC "screams" all credability is lost :whistle:

Behold the power of the "scream" :thumb:

Excuse me, do I know you?

I get the giggles when I see kids like you who react so senselesslyy violent, when your Barbie doll was commented as souless.

Even if you were to critize Tori Amos as dumb and souless, I would just smile to myself, and keep real quiet,after all, the one who starts to utter the word dumb here, is no other than who.

If you are that smart, why don't you write music reviews on songs and singers, then can we know how smart are you, as you slowly unfold your knowledge.

I never claimed to be some music expert you know ,and I am still learning about things everyday, because this universe is very vast, other than appreciating and concluding, that some frog called MC as a music diva, with many tadpoles as her fans..

Fortunately for me, I do know of a couple of elder kids in the mid and late 20's, who have such superb vast knowledge and taste in music , and their knowledge of the history on music and the artists/ musicians, never fail to amuse me.

I never get tired of listen to their amazing insights on music , when I meet them on rare occasions.

Because I only learn from the really smart people, not from people who think they are so smart.

One is a 25 year old, a very well known DJ, who plays and teaches the guitar and piano. The other ,27,, has a music degree from England,who likes to play in a band and rocks his electric guitar.

What say you?

Both are not even amused with MC.

Thus fortunately they are kids who are very intelligent, Oh God do I see some light and hope coming.They will probably put shame to kids like you who think they are so smart.

Oh yes, life is a grey area. Wisdom has nothing to do with age,as much as being young does not mean you are that smart.

If you are young and not so smart, we all will agree your future may be kind of bleak.

However, take it like a man or an adult with no hard feelings, after you are entitled to listening to your choice of music, your Mariah, with all that screaming.

And however what you want to think of me, is really none of my business

Edited by TheVisitors

No, you didn't. But those are clear extensions of the logic you proposed.

If someone's going to make a point by overplaying occasional bad career moves, then so would the case apply to the Greats of the above. The very fact that you disagree Aretha and Stevie should be regarded as having no soul just because of such irrelevant issues, quite ironically, has rebutted your own point about Mariah and Glitter/MadTV.

:huh:

Wrong thread, man.

If you said I didn't, why but?

But what?

Obviously you are putting words in my mouth. Isn't it?

Please read carefully.

Read very very carefully, with no buts here or there.

:o

That last post didn't even leave me a room to debate about voice, lol.

What was once a healthy debate on how genuine these singers are when voicing their material had clearly mutated into direct bashing, so I won't bother making rebuttals.

I'm pretty sure we are right in our own paradigms, and there's no way to make the minds meet. :lol:

===============

Time to get the thread back on track. Na na na diva is the female version of a hustla...

:o

That last post didn't even leave me a room to debate about voice, lol.

What was once a healthy debate on how genuine these singers are when voicing their material had clearly mutated into direct bashing, so I won't bother making rebuttals.

I'm pretty sure we are right in our own paradigms, and there's no way to make the minds meet. :lol:

===============

Time to get the thread back on track. Na na na diva is the female version of a hustla...

Whatever dude.

But putting words in people's mouth, is not a form of healthy debate.

Thats bad mouthing and reputation tarnishing.

Ok lets move on

Edited by TheVisitors

• 2 months later...
Guest BritneyBiggestFanLOL

Hi, I am wondering if there's any BRITNEY SPEARS' fans here in SG? :whistle:

I am a really huge fan/stan of her, she inspired me so much and she's simply gorgeous.

Her latest album, Femme Fatale, is such a massively successful album which spawned 4 huge hits already, like, Hold It Against Me, Till The World Ends, I Wanna Go and Criminal.

I would really love to make friends with any fan of hers here in BW and I would love to read about what you like about her, your favorite song of hers, your favorite album of hers, your favorite performance by her and etc...

Personally, my favorite album from her will be, Blackout, simply because she's the co-producer of it and she has a lot of creative control over the album..

The album has so many amazing pop songs and has so much potential to be a massively successful album, too bad Jive decided not to rightfully promote it.

Furthermore, Blackout was produced and released during the darkest hours of her life, which makes it really inspiring(to me).

Moreover, The Times named Blackout as the fifth best pop album of the decade in 2010 and Rob Sheffield of Rolling Stones called Blackout, 'the most influential album of the past five years."

My favorite songs from her, hmmmm, its a hard one though, cause she has so many awesome songs!

I think all the songs from her are my favorites! :unsure:

Alright, I have a lot to say about her, but I would really love to hear from y'all too!

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HER ONE DAY. SHE'S RIGHTFULLY THE QUEEN OF POP OF THIS ERA! :clap:

PS, please do not compare Lady WhoWho to her, Lady PuiPui is nothing compared to the almighty BRITNEY SPEARS, lol! :twisted:

I've followed Britney from the beginning. But I feel like lately her offerings have been all fluff. Blackout was actually pretty good, it's a shame it was never promoted. And she definitely could've done way better than poledancing for Gimme More..seriously.

Edited by jayy

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

What Is This "Harlem Shake" Thing Anyway?

cc_harlem_shake_130213_wg.jpg

You can do it underwater, you can do it in the air. You can do the Harlem Shake, do it, do it anywhere.(YouTube/NFLRevolution1)

By ALEX ALVAREZ (@soalexgoes)

Feb. 13, 2013

"LOL." The gchat pops up on your screen. "Check this out." You click. You watch -- confused and, you admit, delighted -- as

gyrates arhythmically. You watch, still, as the people around him join in, bopping and bouncing and wielding various props. You might respond like this, or perhaps like this, or even maybe like this.

One thing is for certain: Now that "Gangnam Style" has been mercifully put down among so many discarded pistachio shells, the "Harlem Shake" is the newest "dance craze" to sweep offices and morning shows all across our weary nation.

So. What is this "Harlem Shake" thing, anyway?

Originally, Harlem shake referred to a dance that began in -- yes, excellent guess -- Harlem, New York back in 1981.

It has its roots in an Ethiopian dance, "Eskista." You can check out what it looks like on YouTube.

The Harlem shake has been referenced in various songs over the years, including one by Brooklyn-based producer Baauer (Harry Rodrigues). That's the song you're hearing in all forty million "Harlem Shake" videos, even though participants may not actually be dancing the Harlem shake.

We all on the same page so far? Yup? Good.

-- featuring four costumed dudes humping air -- claims to be the "original" Harlem video, but it lacks a few of the details particular to the meme.

These include the following:

- At the video beginning, only one person (often masked) is dancing. Anyone else in the room/area are either still or simply not paying attention to the masked dancing.

- When the bass drops, everyone else joins in on the dancing, usually accompampanied by costumes and/or props.

The "craze" (again, oof) has even made it onto Today. Whenever something that originated on the internet makes it onto a morning show, it is sure to become: 1. increasingly ubiquitous and annoying in a very short amount of time, 2. until it implodes and disappears, making way for whatever we're going to become obsessed with next.

The Harlem Shake is dead, long live the Harlem Shake!

Let's enjoy these notable examples as we grieve its passing:

- The University of Georgia's men's swim and dive team

- The Maker Studios staff

- College Humor

- Portuguese TV

- Firefighters

- Duo Matt and Kim

- Bananas

Source: http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=18488615

And here's one from Nat Geo:

Join the official BW Telegram Group Chat: https://bit.ly/frmbw

• 2 weeks later...
Guest youtube funny durr

My point is the amount of js/css/html5 involved to make the individual element on that youtube search result to shake expand and contract and other movement 

on the query result form.

just click the link above lah

is not Video is query result form with animation.

IS kewl

or type Do the Harlem Shake on youtube search bar.

• 1 month later...
Guest crazyformen

So cute. Feel happy to watch all these handsome and cute boys acting cute. Becos they are cute so when they act cute dun let ppl feel like vomit. Too bad i am not so cute nor handsome like them. Sigh.... 老天不公平

Guest Guest

So cute. Feel happy to watch all these handsome and cute boys acting cute. Becos they are cute so when they act cute dun let ppl feel like vomit. Too bad i am not so cute nor handsome like them. Sigh.... 老天不公平

来世吧, 老姐

Guest crazyformen

来世吧, 老姐

来世不用了, cos next time i want to request from king of hell to born as a female, a pretty one, even life is hard and work as a whore i dun mind. Then my nick will not be " crazyformen" , it will be " mencrazyme".

I dun mind to name as slut, bitch or whatever. Cos i am even worst than that. But that me. Born in this world as a punishment.

7f6.gif

About

“The Gwiyomi Song” (귀요미송, meaning “The Cutie Song”) is a 2013 chiptune pop song by South Korean indie singer-songwriter Hari. Upon its release on the Korean web, the song quickly went viral on virtually all top music charts and even inspired a participatory video series in which the participant performs a repertoire of cute hand gestures to the song.

Origin

Gwiyomi (귀요미, pronounced as Kiyomi) is a South Korean internet slang term meaning “cute” or a “cute person” used in somewhat similar vein to the Japanese term “Kawaii.” Composed and performed by two South Korean aspiring musicians Dandi and Hari, the song was originally uploaded in late January 2013 and officially released as a digital single on February 18th, 2013 (shown below, left). Within days, the title of the song had become the most searched term on the Korean search portal site Naver. The repertoire associated with the song known as “Gwiyomi Player” was invented by Korean pop star Ilhoon Jung and introduced in a segment of the MTV show “MTV Diary BTOB” (shown below, right).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=p_-LuDpdtEQ

Spread

Throughout February 2013, the meme continued to grow in popularity through the Internet and the mass media. After the show was aired, many other Korean artists performed the song on different occasions to show off their cuteness.

With more performances of the Korean stars on foreign television shows, the meme spread even more vigorously. Gwiyomi videos are constantly posted on Facebook and YouTube, some even made variations on the moves. The trend has also spread to the neighboring regions such as Japan, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia.

Search Interest

w20k05.png

http://www.google.com/trends/explore?hl=en-US#q=gwiyomi,+kiyomi,+귀요미송,+귀요미&date=today+12-m&cmpt=q
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-gwiyomi-song

Join the official BW Telegram Group Chat: https://bit.ly/frmbw

<p>...the world is going to end... hate this shit that has been going on long enough in Asia.</p>

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

• G_M changed the title to What Is Your All Time Favorite Song? (compiled)
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked and unlocked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.