Male HQ

Budget Airline - Warnings & Tips

TopChinese

Yet another incident. Can't understand why Valuair won't even make an announcement about the flight delay.

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Onl...ory_132350.html

10-hour Valuair flight delay and shoddy treatment

I WAS originally scheduled to return from Jakarta to Singapore on June 10 on flight VF504 at 3.20pm.

All passengers were in line at the check-in counter and no one was aware of the 10-hour flight delay that had occurred as there was not any announcement made.

Besides the failure to inform the flight's passengers of the travel disruption, the flight departure notice board was not updated and continued to display the check-in time as 1520 hours.

When I approached the ground hostess for an explanation, she said that Valuair is and will not be responsible for the delay and that all passengers have to make their own arrangements with other airlines for the return flight or, alternatively, if passengers had already checked in, they would have to wait at the airport for another 10 hours.

At the same time, its also the traveller's fault for not making himself comfortable. JKT airport is great for lounge use. Just pay US$10 for unlimited drinks/food.

Come share your experiences on flying cheap.

Guest Guest
Can't understand why Valuair won't even make an announcement about the flight delay.

[

Maybe the airline have to pay for making annoucement ??? so they try to save money by keeping quiet. :D

Guest Guest

Aiya, people are like that, just because they pay (even though budget) they expect everything to go their way. This type of incident happens not just with budget airline.

Actually it's not just the buget airline that has this problem. Last yr i was taking UA to Hong Kong and my flight was delayed 9 hrs. Boarding was supposed to close at 6.45am, but then their check-in counter just became slower and slower and still nobody informed the ultra long queue. Passengers became panic that they will miss their boarding and only upon check-in, after passengers asked, then the counter staff reply there was an engine fault.

It just amazing to me that for a 2 hr check-in process, nobody can inform us of the delay. And this is in Changi some more...

Koh Samui, I need u...

I think now Thai airway having promotion to many destination. do check it out

Are you talking about the offer below? Some of them looks like their periodical offer:

http://www.thaiairways.com/Promotions/Spec...otion_index.htm

http://202.122.131.41:8080/NASApp/IP_SPECIAL/DisplaySpecial

a good oral sex makes your day, a good anal sex makes your "hole weak"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_wind

Swiss air only $247 include tax but departing night

TG on select day only $217

Tiger air - forget it - had try it 2 year ago and they did not help when their flight is cancel last min. Have to travel to and from the airport 2 times after futher delay.Phew

Guest fm am

I cant remember whether it's Swiss air or Scandanavian air which has got good night snack meal- and the other one offers just plain awful junk. Either way, it's almost midnight when you reach your hotel. So avoid if possible. Unless you got free time and the travel agent offered you a 'free night' stay.

Guest Guest

For Jetstar, you really have to be at the check-in counter 40min before boarding.

Last trip to HK, was late about 10min (cos shopping too much), we couldn't find the counter, apparently they took down the Jetstar sign and knock off on the dot. Had to book a one-way next day back to S'pore :angry:

Some angmoh kao beying about Tiger... who the hell wants to fly Tiger anyway.

Transfer from Tiger to SilkAir: Sorry, no refund

I BOOKED five return tickets to Phuket on Tiger Airlines (part-owned by Singapore Airlines) recently.

I booked way in advance as it's cheaper that way and the timings were perfect for a getaway weekend, leaving after work on a Friday.

A few weeks later, I went to book a few more people on the same flight and it was only then that I found the flight times had changed by over three hours on both legs, making it impossible to use these flights.

I then found the exact same timings as I had originally booked available on SilkAir (also owned by Singapore Airlines), so I had to book these, as transfers, hotels and activities had already been arranged and paid for. These flights would probably have been cheaper if I had booked earlier too.

I then sent proof to Tiger Airways that the same passengers were now booked on SilkAir. It replied that not only would I not get a refund (except tax) but also it will charge me $50 per booking cancellation.

It does not have a complaints department that you can call. You can only send a fax to the airline, and it took 10 weeks for them to reply to me and my numerous phone calls were lengthy and fruitless.

Four months have passed since I booked these flights and I have not seen any money back yet (not even the tax).

Philip Blenkiron

Guest Guest
Some angmoh kao beying about Tiger... who the hell wants to fly Tiger anyway.

Yalah Yalah, we know you fly only biz or 1st lah.. you already mentioned somewhere else..

Kanina, all your posts seems to suggest to me as si pei hou lian..

Even the avatar tells me you're not likable. Antagonistic.

What you want to do? Ban my IP?

Guest am fm

Budget airlines not only kena complaint but beleaguered Malaysia Airlines recently also run into some turbulence. ST reported that 'technical problems and employee dissatisfaction have contributed to flight delays over the last few weeks. Hundreds of them were left in the lurch on Sun. Some flights delayed by up to several hours'. The interesting thing is that like budget airline, the stuff didnt bother explaining for the delay. One passenger said that 'I can understand if it's just 5 people ahead of me, but 50? They didnt even make an effort to contact us. They merely waited for us to turn up, then tell us the bad news.'

Yes, liquid ban has been imposed months ago at BKK airport- I leant it the hard way on my last day there. I have a few bottles of mouthrinse (so cheap there) and a few packs of toothpaste. After weighing it at the storeroom, my lugguage was 3kg+ overweight at 23kg). So I had to remove some heavy items like the above (thankfully, these items are not expensive or my heart pain) and gave it to the nice hotel bell uncle. I hope he thinks of me when he's brushing his teeth or rinsing. :D

The Tiger saga continues... more people bitching about Tiger.

July 31, 2007 

Flight woe: No compromise from Tiger, Visa

I REFER to the letter written by Mr Johnny Ong Hock Lam, 'Woe after woe for Tiger Airways passengers' (ST, July 26),

I encountered a different problem with Tiger: On May 13, Tiger refused to check me in for its early morning flight from Singapore to Guangzhou.

Many people had told me that China was now visa-free for Singapore visitors. What I did not realise was that, as a Canadian citizen, I needed a visa to enter China.

I had bought the return ticket to fly in good faith and with some ignorance, I must admit. The terms of sale are all for the protection of Tiger Airways; none mentions the traveller's rights.

I told the check-in clerk that I could apply for a visa on arrival in Guangzhou. They refused to let me on board, claiming that the Chinese authorities would impose a 'heavy fine' on the airline for letting someone enter the country without a visa.

When I protested that the airline was looking after its own interest and had no concern for its passengers, two managers at the counter claimed that the Guangzhou airport would hold up Tiger's return flight to Singapore until they could put me on board for repatriation. This would have caused a long delay - again, a no-no for Tiger.

Hence, I missed not only the flight but also a couple of meetings that I had scheduled in Guangzhou. Leaving the airport, I vowed not to pay for this ticket, which was charged to UOB Visa.

Visa has, in turn, refused to charge the ticket back to Tiger, arguing that it can do that only if Tiger agrees. Now who does Visa represent? The vendor or its own cardholder?

When contacted by Visa officers, I told them I would not pay and that they could take me to court.

I feel I should not have to pay for a ticket that I could not use because of Tiger's self-interests. I even offered a compromise to Tiger (through Visa) to pay up if it would refund me all the GST/service/airport charges - for those services that I never received. Again, to no avail.

Up to now, Visa has not communicated to me in writing.

Teo Beng E

In the meantime, at least the sexy CEO of Tiger wrote a personal response. Tho his response was as good as saying nothing. No service? No on time departure? No peanuts on board? Its for your safety...

Crew of Tiger Airways responded correctly

I REFER to Mr Johnny Ong Hock Lam's letter, 'Woe after woe for Tiger Airways passengers' (ST, July 26).

While Tiger Airways has an excellent record for on-time punctuality, the safety of our passengers and crew is always our first and foremost priority and, in this case, the crew responded in the correct manner to a set of unconnected circumstances.

It is very unusual for minor problems to occur in two successive flights. However, if such circumstances do occur, our crews are trained to take corrective action even if this causes some level of disruption.

I would like to emphasise that Tiger Airways strictly follows the stringent safety regulations laid down by the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore and other international regulators and at no time would we compromise on these requirements.

We thank Mr Ong for his feedback and would like to reassure him and our other passengers that Tiger Airways will not compromise on safety and security requirements for our aircraft.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused to him and his fellow passengers as a result of the delay to their journey.

Tony Davis

Chief Executive Officer

Tiger Airways

I'm not touching Tiger with a 10 inch cock.

The only budget airline I travel in is Jetstar, no others, I don't want to step my foot in a "special terminal" set for budget airline. Already that is prejudice, for budget airlines passengers to travel in a "budget" terminal. We don't seems to pay less for airport tax anyway, is there such a thing as budget tax?

I dun care who charge the tax, airline or airport. Want my money, suck my cheese clean first.

It's just me.... Asura... don't fear, but be very afraid....

now that's 1 reason only tiger moved to Budget terminal, the rest stayed in T1

if i am paying the same airport tax, where should i be treated like 2nd class citizen the moment i entered into the airport.

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

AirAsia goes disabled-friendly

'AirAsia has set aside $2.6 million to build facilities at its airport terminal to accomodate disabled traveller. The move follows recent complaints from wheelchair-bound passengers that the low-cost carrier had refused to accomodate them on its filights. The improvments, launched on Fri, include ambu-lifts at its terminals in KL and Kota Kinabalu. Othr terminals will feature similiar amenities withiin four months. All its new planes will also be equipped with aisle wheelchairs so that the disabled can move around on board' TNP

Kudos to AirAsia. :thumb:

Why Tiger is unpopular, it's ranked second best low-cost airlines after Air Asia. Is it just snobbish?

Snobbish people dont fly budget. :D No lah, it's just my personal experience. I just find the Budget Terminal rather cold. The rush to grab seats on the plane throws me off. The space between seating very cramp (the other two budget airline offers leather seats- not Tiger). The baggage allowance of only 15kg (my bag already weighs 12.5kg at check-in so how to buy more things back?) is the last straw. I would place Jetstar, Airasia and Tiger (I really wanted to support home-grown startup but only if they earn it) in the order of my preference.

Guest Guest

If any one is not satisfied with the long delay or last minutes announcement or cancellation we should not alight from the plane and demand compensation. But how many Singaporean are willing to speak out.

Snobbish people dont fly budget. :D No lah, it's just my personal experience. I just find the Budget Terminal rather cold. The rush to grab seats on the plane throws me off.

Actually TR now offers preferential seating and increased luggage allowance to customers who pay more.

I don't fly budget anymore because the budget terminal sucks. Long delays in getting your bags. Limited shopping options. And the customs officers there are very bitchy.

They make it a point to check EVERY BAG, EVERY TIME. Maybe their pay cut because of budget and they have to make commission.

In Today's Forum, Mr Foo Sek Min, Director of CAAS, replied to a reader's complaint 'Fast Response needed at Budget Terminal'. Here are some of his assurance for future improvement:

'New initiatives are being introduced in response to feedback and surveys. These include the installation of more comfortable seats, a new left-baggage service and a children's play area in the check-in hall. We will follow up on the feedback Mr Lim has provided on the need to improve the food and beverage options and the public annoucement system, as well as to shorten the waiting times for security screening and baggage claims. There are also systems in place to handle changes in airport situations, such as peaks and surges, in which the airport agencies will activate addtional manpower to cope with operation needs.' Today

Well, I hope so. I flew Tiger during this year's Chinese New Year and told myself not to bother anymore. Some may recall how I recoiled in shock to discover cockroaches running in front of me as I sat eating my breadfast at Han's cafe. And how one has to walk quite a distance along the cold unwelcoming corridor before confronted by a snakingly long queue and many cold-eye officers waiting to scan all passenger's bags. Hope the situation has improved somehow.

I took Jetstar for this trip, the plane looked quite seasoned. But as long as it is safe, I am quite ok with the condition of the plan. I guess the trip to Bangkok is relatively short, so whethere there are anemeties or not, does not really matter. The first flight on Monday morning is pretty empty.

Jealousy is when you realise the things you don't have.

Envy is when you realise the things you'd never have.

-Nip/Tuck

• 4 weeks later...

A budget airline (One2Go) from BKK just crashed into Phuket airport. At least 30 people dead.... sigh.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jEg9dOT...nG4DP6f8jrHA8aA

Wonder if they will be compensated appropriately in this dark hour. They will be lucky to get peanuts if it was Tiger Airways.

It now emerges that the One2Go plane that went down is not covered by local insurance. They are trying to find out if the foreign owner did indeed buy oversea insurance. In CNA news this morning.

Guest SQ loyal customer

i think you get what you pay....

i never take budget airline but this incident is a bit unreasonable...

i always take SQ because the service is superb and there are always some good-looking male air cabin crews....real eye candy... :P

i always take SQ because the service is superb and there are always some good-looking male air cabin crews....real eye candy... :P

See if these sexy male cabin crew will rescue you in a crash... skarly they all so worried about permanent disfigurement they run out first.

Here are some stories of the heroes of OG 269:

- a brave (and sexy) UK guy seated in an emergency exit row who opened the exit and rescued the people seated in his row:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...d=1766&ito=1490

- an unnamed Thai passenger dressed in yellow in honour of his King who went back into the wreckage to rescue the survivors.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=121766

- this handsome Thai guy who was a finalist in Academy Fantasy (similar to Singapore Idol) training to be a steward, sadly died in the crash:

%20พิทยา%20ว่องวันดี.jpg

These people should not be just names on a whiteboard. We must remember their lives, all their joys and happiness, has come to a horrid and sudden end.

Hmmm... saw on CNA news another budget airline- this one we are familiar- AirAsia where one of their Chiang Rai-bound plane had to make a emergency landing yesterday.

'A Thai AirAsia plane made an emergency landing at Suvarna-bhumi Airport yesterday, 20 minutes after it took off for Chiang Rai.

After leaving the new airport at 11.35am, the pilot of flight FD3254 noticed an engine system called ADI was mal-functioning. The pilot decided to return to Suvarnabhumi and all passengers were later put on another flight.

Tassapon Bijleveld, chief executive of Thai AirAsia, said the problem was not a big deal and the flight was only delayed 40 minutes by the incident.' The Nation

'THE OG 269 tragedy at Phuket airport last week has focused attention on the safety standards of Asian budget and low-cost carriers, the fastest-growing sector of the world's fastest-growing air travel region.

The answers to the mystery of the Phuket crash-landing that two Sundays ago killed 89 passengers and crew will start emerging next week from the aircraft black boxes now being examined in the US.

But however damaging those answers might prove to One-Two-Go Airline or the reputation of Thai flight control and safety systems, they are most unlikely to impair the growth of Asian low-cost and budget carriers.

Over the next five years the capacity of low-cost carriers (LCCs) in the region will grow 40-50 per cent annually, according to the Sydney-based consultancy Centre for Asia-Pacific Aviation.

Current LCC capacity is about 50,000 seats, and CAPA's Derek Sadubin estimates that, based only on current aircraft orders, this will rise to 160,000-plus and their share of the total air passenger market will roughly double to 25 per cent. And it's mostly driven by massive demand from huge emerging Asian middle classes particularly China and India and deregulation throughout the region that allows new airlines to spring up.

This hectic traffic growth over the past five years or so throughout the region is now stressing airports and air-traffic control systems, aircraft manufacturers and the supply of trained pilots and other air crew.

Phuket International Airport, one of the key East Asian holiday destinations, illustrates the pressure on facilities.

Deputy airport manager Wicha Nurnlop told The Australian that in the peak northern summer season the single-runway airport handled between 50 and 60 movements daily.

Last year, landings were up 25 per cent from 2005. Despite that year's traffic being depressed in the aftermath of the Boxing Day tsunami, passenger numbers were up 30 per cent to 4.6 million and will top five million this year.

From a dozen carriers a decade ago, Phuket now handles aircraft from 38 different operators and, except for European charters, most are budget airlines. Inevitably, after the Phuket tragedy, this rate of growth in an industry with many new participants operating often on extremely thin financial margins raises concerns about safety standards. And not just among travellers the China Civil Aviation Authority, with 10 new budget airlines in the approvals pipeline, has just announced it will accept no further applications before 2010 because of potential safety risks.

"A major reason for (China) having nine accidents between 1992 and 1994 was growth had been too rapid for the industry to cope with flight safety," the CCAA said, announcing the freeze on September 2.

This is a sensible precaution for China, with a busting-at-the-seams domestic aviation industry but, across the region, cost pressures are actually forcing new airlines to do one of the safest things they can: buy new aircraft.

"These budget airlines have to operate in a new environmentally friendly marketplace," Sadubin said. "They need the flexibility and fuel efficiency of the new-generation aircraft, especially with the possibility of oil going to $US100 a barrel," he said.

"They can't get those things from second-hand aircraft."

Airbus now estimates 40 per cent of its sales will be coming from LCCs within 20 years, and Boeing having forecast at the turn of the century it would sell 220 planes to India by 2010 has already exceeded that number and now expects to sell 1000 by 2026.

The Malaysian-based AirAsia, the biggest LCC in the region and brutally low-cost in its operational management, also has one of the youngest fleets in the Asia-Pacific and one of the biggest orders for new aircraft.

Tom Ballantyne, chief correspondent of the Hong Kong-based Orient Aviation, says the perception that LCCs are riskier is "absolutely not supported by the statistics".

"They show no more or less accidents among budget carriers than among the main lines," he says.

However, when looking for potential safety risk, it's sensible to differentiate between the large, established LCCs often subsidiaries of established "legacy" carriers and the small, often privately owned operators that have proliferated in Asia in recent years.

In the first group you will find such carriers as Air Asia, Qantas offshoot Jetstar Asia, Thailand's Nok Air and Tiger Airways.

One-Two-Go definitely belongs to the second group. Established in 2003 by hard-charging Thai aviation entrepreneur Udom Tantiprasongchai as a domestic subsidiary of his regional Orient Thai Airways, One-Two-Go had a clean safety record before September 16.

Orient Thai, however, had several scrapes with safety regulators and Udom's airlines are often bad-mouthed in the industry, particularly by Western-trained pilots, for corner-cutting, working air crews excessively hard and hiring 'cheap' foreign pilots, particularly from Indonesia which is the aviation safety black-spot of Southeast Asia.

"I don't think there's an issue in terms of pilots' ability to fly," says Ballantyne, though he's not talking specifically of One-Two-Go. "But there is often considerable pressure to get from Point A to Point B as economically as possible, and pilots often feel a subtle pressure to get that plane down on the runway."

Since OG 269, a 24-year-old McDonnell Douglas MD82, crash-landed at Phuket, criticism in forums like PPRuNe the online 'professional pilots rumour network' from contributors claiming to have worked for Orient Thai or One-Two-Go has been vicious.

However, no particular allegation has been made openly against One-Two-Go in respect of the Phuket crash. The accident happened in the middle of an extreme monsoonal rainstorm, and there have been contradictory reports of what was said between the Phuket tower and the Indonesian chief pilot.

Authorities in Thailand have confirmed that several of the airport's wind-shear detectors (supposed to detect dangerous sudden changes of wind strength and direction) were not working. One-Two-Go chief executive Kajit Hapananont says the airline needed Indonesian pilots because they were among the few pilots familiar with the aged McDonnell Douglas aircraft that comprise most of its fleet.

One-Two-Go officials protest there is nothing inherently unsafe about the McDonnell Douglases that form most of One-Two-Go's fleet, and industry experts support that so long as the planes are carefully maintained. By the end of last week traffic through Phuket had returned to normal and customers were returning, slowly and more cautiously, to One-Two-Go counters in Bangkok and Phuket, though flights will remain reduced by a quarter for several more weeks.

But if the experience of Indonesian LCC AdamAir is anything to go on, and if One-Two-Go's reputation and licences are not further damaged by the revelations of coming weeks, the airline's passenger load should be back to pre-accident levels within three months, in time for Thailand's peak tourism season.

AdamAir was involved in two serious incidents within 60 days earlier this year: the loss of a Boeing 737 with 102 people on New Year's Day, and a 'hard landing' at Surabaya which injured no one but wrote off the aircraft. A fortnight later a Garuda 737 crash-landed at Yogyakarta's Adisutjipto airport, killing 21 people. Garuda, like the rest of Indonesia's carriers, is banned by the EU because of the national industry's abysmal safety record.

Other authorities have taken a more constructive approach; the International Air Transport Association and the American Federal Aviation Authority among others are working with the Indonesians to improve their safety standards and carrier compliance. In the meantime, the rapid expansion of air travel in Indonesia has barely been affected.

An AdamAir executive recently commented that his airline lost 30 per cent of its patronage after February but recovered all the numbers over the following three months.

This accords with the view of industry-watchers that customer awareness of even a serious accident and identification of a carrier with it fades away within months.

But clearly some airlines are riskier than others, and Ballantyne says budget travellers should take care.

He advises them to use their computer terminals not only to check fares and routes or to most often not book their tickets, but also to conduct personal safety checks'

fiji times

• 2 weeks later...

A good run-down on budget airlines and what they offer in Today's paper. Especially useful read for travellers new to budget airlines.

'It used to be that one decided on a travel destination, then began shopping around for the cheapest airfares. With the advent of the budget airlines, however, this natural order has been largely inverted for air travellers.

Mr Gary Chua, 27, who has flown Tiger Airways and Jetstar Asia on several occasions, said: "I check the budget travel websites almost every week. If there are good deals, I may take a holiday on impulse."

Most people who fly with low-cost carriers, unsurprisingly, do so because of the relatively lower fares they offer to an increasing number of destinations.

While the cheaper prices do translate to no-frills travel

Yup yup, i read the comparison on my way to Bkk last week. I was telling bf our next trip to Bkk we try not to take Budget anymore. The morning flight to Bkk on Valuair was good. Like the paper said, Valuair has the largest leg room of all Budget Airline. But then when coming back on Jetstar, the leg room space is so cramp... Although it's only a 2 hr flight to Bkk, i think i will wanna have a more comfy ride in future...

Koh Samui, I need u...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.