Male HQ

Discussion About Single & Hdb Flat Ownership + Hdb Loan (Compiled)

worldangel

Guest Big is better
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Quick qns. If you can afford to pay monthly of $3000 to $3200, will you rent a 3 rm HDB or a 2 bedder condo?

HDB. You want bigger space and most HDB flats are nearer to many facilities unlike some ulu condo.

22 hours ago, Guest Big is better said:

HDB. You want bigger space and most HDB flats are nearer to many facilities unlike some ulu condo.

Thought condo can enjoy the condo facilities? And the condition might be better than HDB. Some HDB pay $3k plus but the condition of the flat is not say very well maintain.

3 hours ago, Sweetie Pie said:

Saw one coming up just opposite Alexandra Ikea, next to the SCDF fire station.  Good location nearer to town, and Ikea Mall, but...no MRT nearby. 

The site near to the fire station can only depend on buses to get in and out of the estate. MRT quite a far distance even for buses to MRT. This is why this site not popular even though it is so called near to town.

Guest Hdb advice

Hi all, need some help with this

my bf is 38 and I’m 31, currently we are renting out but given the rental market price we are considering of buying a flat together.

if he were to buy from a resale hdb would I be able to put my name into it when I turn 35 if let’s say I were to contribute to monthly loan payment? 

7 hours ago, Guest Hdb advice said:

my bf is 38 and I’m 31, currently we are renting out but given the rental market price we are considering of buying a flat together.

if he were to buy from a resale hdb would I be able to put my name into it when I turn 35 if let’s say I were to contribute to monthly loan payment? 

Another option would be each buy one, he buy now and by the time u r able to buy,  his flat reach MOP can rent out the whole unit and stay in yours.

Unless u r super super confident about the relationship,  otherwise there will be issues when one party decided to sell. 

8 hours ago, Guest Hdb advice said:

It cannot be done. According to HDB Website, "current flat owners may apply to change their flat ownership to include immediate family members who meet all eligibility conditions."

14 hours ago, Guest Hdb advice said:

It is up to your partner whether he allows you to be included even after you made a contribution toward the purchase of the unit.  Why can't you wait another four years to get your own apartment, while your boyfriend can continue to live in his own house?  Surely, two houses are preferable to one?   In my opinion, it is preferable for each partner to have a 2-room BTO rather than a joint name on a resale apartment if you guys think resale is too expensive.  You keep your asset and privacy even if both of you split up.  

In the past, I've received requests to join names from older people who are either PR holders or Singaporeans who can't afford a HDB on their own or didn't meet the HDB criterias. .  Heng ah!  our relationship never last longer than a year.  I waited until I turned 35, and discretely look for my home,  keeping my family also in the dark.  By then, all of the people who courted me had also bought their own homes, which made it much simpler to meet and spend time with each other without any obligations.  He decorated his house in an ecletic style, while I went for  Zen aesthetic.   No quarrel, nothing.   We continue to live apart, but we can still decide to stay together in either his or my house.  Of course, nobody lost anything when we split up.

Did you get the picture?  Don't fall for the love scam!!!

19 hours ago, Guest Hdb advice said:

How much is your renting? I agree the renting price now is crazy, unless no choice then have to rent. Buying own flat still better cause afterall it is your own place, can do anything to the flat. Staying in rented house cannot do anything much on the deco etc.

4 hours ago, Sweetie Pie said:

It is up to your partner whether he allows you to be included even after you made a contribution toward the purchase of the unit.  Why can't you wait another four years to get your own apartment, while your boyfriend can continue to live in his own house?  Surely, two houses are preferable to one?   In my opinion, it is preferable for each partner to have a 2-room BTO rather than a joint name on a resale apartment if you guys think resale is too expensive.  You keep your asset and privacy even if both of you split up.  

In the past, I've received requests to join names from older people who are either PR holders or Singaporeans who can't afford a HDB on their own or didn't meet the HDB criterias. .  Heng ah!  our relationship never last longer than a year.  I waited until I turned 35, and discretely look for my home,  keeping my family also in the dark.  By then, all of the people who courted me had also bought their own homes, which made it much simpler to meet and spend time with each other without any obligations.  He decorated his house in an ecletic style, while I went for  Zen aesthetic.   No quarrel, nothing.   We continue to live apart, but we can still decide to stay together in either his or my house.  Of course, nobody lost anything when we split up.

Did you get the picture?  Don't fall for the love scam!!!

Agreed, if eligible and can afford, best option is to buy each own house, whether it is a new 2 rm BTO, HDB resale flat or even private. No point buys one house and put names together, esp gay relationship has no protection and accepted by law. If break off or anything happen to one person, difficult on the settlement of the house.

If each person owns a house, can also have the option of renting out one house to generate rental income, and stay together in one house. Or stay separately in their own house. Best of both worlds. 😂 I always think best to own a house for yourself, no matter what the size of the house is, HDB or private, old flat or new flat. Cause no need to depend on other people and see other people face. Having an own house is the best.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:20 PM, Guest Guest said:

Thought condo can enjoy the condo facilities? And the condition might be better than HDB. Some HDB pay $3k plus but the condition of the flat is not say very well maintain.

We heard you loud and clear.   You are discriminating those who stay in HDB.  Not all HDB is well maintained, not all Condo is well maintained either.   The house condition varies, depending on landlord willingness to upkeep the house to the conditions desired by you.  The better the conditions, the more you need to pay for the place.  No room for negotiation.  Period. 

If one can afford condo its good for the person. But at the end of the day, take a step back, by looking at the bigger picture. why would one stay in a condo all by himself (in terms of privacy) and have no other folks are staying with him. 

Having a huge, silent & empty nest to return to at the end of the day. And one has to ask, how often do i really use the condo facilities? how often do i swim in the pool within the condo estate? If i dun drive, do i have to pay for that carpark slot also? how often do i use the gym? and when one doesn't use any of it & yet having to pay for it. then what's the point of owning a condo? for status? for showing off? 

i rather have a simple flat. be it 2 room flexi / 3rm resale / old / new. upkeeping of the flat depends on one. anything outside ur main door, it belongs to the govt. it is up to the govt to upkeep the estate. That's when one is paying the town council fees for the upkeeping, cleanliness & maintenance.

Like i stay in a rented apartment (rented a room) and staying with other heterosexual folks, i am contended. the upkeeping of the house belongs to the landlord issue. It's an old apartment. cracks are on the wall; paint are peeling off from the ceiling... all these i feedback & he brings in the town council for consultation & to solve the issues.  

For condos; from my POV; not worth... small narrow corridors outside the main door. The security guard doesn't react even i can walk into any condo without being questioned. No matter how grand the estate its... no point lah. Plus nowadays, most condo units are super small. I rather stay in a resale exec marionette if i can afford one, one fine day. 

Edited by single42

Guest Status but..not ideal
6 hours ago, single42 said:

For condos; from my POV; not worth... small narrow corridors outside the main door. The security guard doesn't react even i can walk into any condo without being questioned

Majority of condos have very small and dimly lit lobby.  There are those with corridor too, like a long hotel lobby, much narrower and no window unlike HDB where you have windows at the corridor unit.  Some of its toilet is in its living room, no window,  unlike HDB where most toilet is in the kitchen area and HDB toilets usually have small window for ventilation.  That is as far as I can visit stranger's condo when buying things online to personally collect the items.  Other features I noticed of private condo, is the shape of their home, either circular or octagonal unlike the more squarish or rectangulaish HDB flat.  As for 2-room private condo, some  windows are designed to look very small unlike HDB flat and their next door neighbour is also very very close to each other in their exclusive lift lobby area.  That is the compromise you paid for status.

7 hours ago, single42 said:

If one can afford condo its good for the person. But at the end of the day, take a step back, by looking at the bigger picture. why would one stay in a condo all by himself (in terms of privacy) and have no other folks are staying with him. 

Having a huge, silent & empty nest to return to at the end of the day. And one has to ask, how often do i really use the condo facilities? how often do i swim in the pool within the condo estate? If i dun drive, do i have to pay for that carpark slot also? how often do i use the gym? and when one doesn't use any of it & yet having to pay for it. then what's the point of owning a condo? for status? for showing off? 

i rather have a simple flat. be it 2 room flexi / 3rm resale / old / new. upkeeping of the flat depends on one. anything outside ur main door, it belongs to the govt. it is up to the govt to upkeep the estate. That's when one is paying the town council fees for the upkeeping, cleanliness & maintenance.

Like i stay in a rented apartment (rented a room) and staying with other heterosexual folks, i am contended. the upkeeping of the house belongs to the landlord issue. It's an old apartment. cracks are on the wall; paint are peeling off from the ceiling... all these i feedback & he brings in the town council for consultation & to solve the issues.  

For condos; from my POV; not worth... small narrow corridors outside the main door. The security guard doesn't react even i can walk into any condo without being questioned. No matter how grand the estate its... no point lah. Plus nowadays, most condo units are super small. I rather stay in a resale exec marionette if i can afford one, one fine day. 

I believe people who stay in private usually is for the status and privacy, even though you mentioned some condo the security guard doesn't react even people walk into the condo, but maybe those are the 'low end' type of condo. This is why if the person wants to stay in condo, must buy/rent those better ones and not those condos who operate and feel like an HDB. Overall, condo is unlike like HDB, you can find sales people or strangers knock on your door or loitering outside your corridor. Because even non resident managed to walk into a condo premises, the person also not so easy to get into the building.

Nowadays newer HDB also quite small, only those old HDB is big. If you buy the new BTO, esp the bedrooms size small and cramp. Unless you buy old HDB, but most people do not advise people to buy old HDB due to lease decay. So what should i do?

On 12/6/2023 at 9:45 AM, lonelyglobe said:

Another option would be each buy one, he buy now and by the time u r able to buy,  his flat reach MOP can rent out the whole unit and stay in yours.

Unless u r super super confident about the relationship,  otherwise there will be issues when one party decided to sell. 

Ya it's prudent for each person in the relationship to own their own property separately. It allows for more options down the road.

A licensed gay realtor

53 minutes ago, Guest Status but..not ideal said:

Majority of condos have very small and dimly lit lobby.  There are those with corridor too, like a long hotel lobby, much narrower and no window unlike HDB where you have windows at the corridor unit.  Some of its toilet is in its living room, no window,  unlike HDB where most toilet is in the kitchen area and HDB toilets usually have small window for ventilation.  That is as far as I can visit stranger's condo when buying things online to personally collect the items.  Other features I noticed of private condo, is the shape of their home, either circular or octagonal unlike the more squarish or rectangulaish HDB flat.  As for 2-room private condo, some  windows are designed to look very small unlike HDB flat and their next door neighbour is also very very close to each other in their exclusive lift lobby area.  That is the compromise you paid for status.

Very old HDB flat, the toilet has no window. But for condo esp the 1 bedder and 2 bedder, there is no window inside the toilet, this would lead the high humidity in the house which is no good. But no matter how bad the condo like what you said, many people still prefer to stay in condo, esp for the rich people. Even the middle income, many people would stay in condo or at least an EC.

Guest Hdb advice

Thanks all for the input, I’m renting around 4.6k per month as I’m renting for parent as well, as for btoing individual unit we are thinking that there isn’t much of a market for 2 room bto rental and we might want to house our parent in the house unit hence looking into resale. And getting 2 units might not be affordable for us and bto takes some time for us to occupy.

Guest Guest hdb advice

And yeah we been together for two years, yes I know it seems premature, we do have boredom and small argument repetitively now and then but given that he’s older I’m thinking it’s less likely for us to break off unless I find someone else. We have met other people together to spice things up, usually one off thingie.

23 hours ago, Guest Hdb advice said:

Thanks all for the input, I’m renting around 4.6k per month as I’m renting for parent as well, as for btoing individual unit we are thinking that there isn’t much of a market for 2 room bto rental and we might want to house our parent in the house unit hence looking into resale. And getting 2 units might not be affordable for us and bto takes some time for us to occupy.

Your 4.6k per month rental is for 2 entire unit? Now the market rate rental for entire unit for 3 rm is at least $3k for better location. Even ulu location also needs at least $2.6k.

Even though 2 room rental demand in the market not as high as 3 room and above. But you would be surprise there are still people renting a 2 room due to the lower rental price. Usually you can get between $2k to $2.5k for a 2 room flat rental in not so good location currently.

Just now, Guest guest said:

I find Jurong site should be the worst, facing expressway and end of Jurong West which is far from MRT and everything. Unless you work in that area then good.

Edit my post above. I see wrongly, thought the Jurong site is at NTU there. This site is in the Jurong West, still not say far nearby still have eatery and shops. But still far to MRT and worst is infront of an expressway which is very noisy.

7 minutes ago, thickhead79 said:

all depend where and which floor and price

it not abt block or unblock

price is a factor too

Nowadays property price is high even the view is not unblocked and facing the opposite blk. If the unit is unblock, the price even higher.

13 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Would you guys buy a resale unit that have no unblocked view, even though can see the opposite blk but not say very near.

Interior of the house matters more than blocked or unblocked.  Some houses felt very warm and inviting the moment you stepped inside.   I know some Sin Ming HDBs are unblocked, but it exudes the haunting vibe, like that place is isolated from the world.

9 hours ago, Guest Feel said:

Interior of the house matters more than blocked or unblocked.  Some houses felt very warm and inviting the moment you stepped inside.   I know some Sin Ming HDBs are unblocked, but it exudes the haunting vibe, like that place is isolated from the world.

Can't deny that the interior of the house is important, but you might feel depressing or have that 'cannot breathe feeling' when you look out of all your windows, and you are surrounding by others blks. Or you have to draw your curtains most of the time due to the opposite blk faces directly and near to your windows.

At least if you have some unblock view, when you are stress up and want to relax your eyes, you have far view to look at. But i noticed that for most unblock view, usually you might face some roads which you can hear traffic noise. Facing opposite other blks usually would be quieter without road noise.

Guest Protected
1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

Can't deny that the interior of the house is important, but you might feel depressing or have that 'cannot breathe feeling' when you look out of all your windows, and you are surrounding by others blks. Or you have to draw your curtains most of the time due to the opposite blk faces directly and near to your windows.

At least if you have some unblock view, when you are stress up and want to relax your eyes, you have far view to look at. But i noticed that for most unblock view, usually you might face some roads which you can hear traffic noise. Facing opposite other blks usually would be quieter without road noise.

Most resale flats have quite a distance block between each other unlike BTO flat.   My resale falt is not blocked because there is a 4 storey maisonette HDB right in front.  However, quite a distance away is a church and it has a crucifix that faces my corridor window into my living room.  When I am depressed, I look at the Cross and pray.

SINGAPORE - Four- and five-room flats in Woodlands, and four-room flats in Sin Ming were the most popular among first-timer families in the latest Build-To-Order (BTO) sales exercise.

Those projects aside, demand was muted overall across the other projects in December’s exercise, with the Housing Board noting that the vast majority of first-time applicants will have an “assured chance” to book a flat.

The median application rate for first-time applicants for three-room and larger flats was below one as at 5pm on Dec 11, HDB said in a statement.

As at 5pm, about four first-time applicants were vying for each of the 260 five-room flats at Urban Rise @ Woodlands, one of two projects in the non-mature estate. It is closer to Woodlands MRT station than the other project, Woodlands Beacon.

Across both projects, the first-time application rate stood at two for the 614 four-room flats on offer.

Guest No escape

Looking at the trend.  Many seniors are leaving their resale flat to buy a 2-room short least BTO.  Some of these seniors wanted to monetize their old flat, their children advised them to do so or they did it based on their own decision.  In future, singles buying 2-room BTO will see themselves staying next to many elderly folks.   By 2032,  the population of Singapore will also greyed further.  It is a trend. 

Guest Think too much
4 hours ago, Guest HDB said:

temp-Image-UUgl-Go.jpg

Just realised that design for HDB 2-room BTO flats has changed. There is now a partition wall in the bedroom area. Can I tear it down?

99 year lease, you can do whatever you wanted to you home.  Short Term lease, there are restrictions because HDB plan to take it back after you check into heaven before the lease is up.  Anyway, partition or not, the size remain unchanged.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.