Male HQ

Discussion About Single & Hdb Flat Ownership + Hdb Loan (Compiled)

worldangel

36 minutes ago, keyboard said:

Of the 3 plots, which is the better one? Nov 2022

Kallang/Bouna Vista/Dover MRT

townmap_kwn_n3c23a.jpg

townmap_qt_n6c9.jpg

townmap_qt_n8c2.jpg

I would opt out of the Kallang one, although it is quite close to town and considered "city fringe". Too close to Geylang, but some may like that for the food that is available.

The Buona Vista one is close to the Ghim Moh estate, which means that there are established amenities in the area. Ghim Moh Market and Food Centre are nearby, and so is Holland V. You are also close to the Rail Corridor and PCN networks, so it is good, if you like to jog/run or ride a bike.

Dover one is in the open land opposite Singapore Polytechnic. To the north is the Mount Sinai area, and to the South is the Poly. Not much infrastructure there, and you would probably have to go to the Ghim Moh area or Clementi to get stuff.

If it were up to me then, I would go to the Buona Vista one.

Слава Україні!

47 minutes ago, keyboard said:

Of the 3 plots, which is the better one? Nov 2022

Kallang/Bouna Vista/Dover MRT

townmap_kwn_n3c23a.jpg

townmap_qt_n6c9.jpg

townmap_qt_n8c2.jpg

If you are a single thinking of applying for a BTO, you can only apply for 2-Rm.

Out of the 3, only the one near to the Buona Vista MRT has 2-Rm units.

And as this is a mature estate, it will probably be more expensive and attracts more bidders. 

Hence the chances of getting it will be quite slim. 

Sorry if this sounds discouraging to you.

I read somewhere that if you are REALLY serious about getting a BTO, apply for one in a non-mature estate. But of course everyone has their own preferences.

2 hours ago, sgmaven said:

I would opt out of the Kallang one, although it is quite close to town and considered "city fringe". Too close to Geylang, but some may like that for the food that is available.

The Buona Vista one is close to the Ghim Moh estate, which means that there are established amenities in the area. Ghim Moh Market and Food Centre are nearby, and so is Holland V. You are also close to the Rail Corridor and PCN networks, so it is good, if you like to jog/run or ride a bike.

Dover one is in the open land opposite Singapore Polytechnic. To the north is the Mount Sinai area, and to the South is the Poly. Not much infrastructure there, and you would probably have to go to the Ghim Moh area or Clementi to get stuff.

If it were up to me then, I would go to the Buona Vista one.

I never lived or gone Geylang/East much, is it really that bad that it's advisable not to even consider it. I'm leaning towards the two stone throw away MRT stations as Bouna Vista really is the ideal plot but rainy days catching the train/bus might be a problem? The idea of two MRT is appealing but it's (circle line) actually quite far since everything is walking instead of taking a bus. Also doubt i'll be working near any of the circle line MRT stations.

1 hour ago, keyboard said:

I never lived or gone Geylang/East much, is it really that bad that it's advisable not to even consider it. I'm leaning towards the two stone throw away MRT stations as Bouna Vista really is the ideal plot but rainy days catching the train/bus might be a problem? The idea of two MRT is appealing but it's (circle line) actually quite far since everything is walking instead of taking a bus. Also doubt i'll be working near any of the circle line MRT stations.

Buona Vista is actually not so bad, since there is a covered walkway from the MRT to the side of Commonwealth Avenue West where the development is. I am sure once they build those blocks, that they will connect up the covered walkway to your precinct.

As for Geylang, it really depends on your tolerance to the "nightlife" in the area. I personally would like my neighbourhood to get quiet by about 10pm. Not something that happens in Geylang. But hey, some people like the hustle and bustle of it all!

Why don't you make a few visits to these places at different times of day, to get a feeling of what the area feels like?

Edited by sgmaven

Слава Україні!

3 hours ago, Guest Single said:

If you are a single thinking of applying for a BTO, you can only apply for 2-Rm.

And as this is a mature estate, it will probably be more expensive and attracts more bidders. 

For a mature estate, a single person cannot apply. The two-room apartment is likely meant for couple who does not plan to have children, a HDB downgrader, or an elderly person on a short-term lease. Single eyeing for 2-room, 99 years BTO can only choose their property at the furthest edge of the cosmos, so to speak. 

1 hour ago, Since u r here said:

He might have “sponsors”… not sure

is yours 2rm too??

yes, when i told others i spent a few 10ks (close to his) on my 4rm (incld furniture , elec appliance and stuff) , many fainted too

i m puzzled why the need to faint??

Mine is a 4rm

Yes, mine is 2 room BTO. I only do kitchen floor cabinets, wardrobe, shower & sink and built-in-shelf, plus some electrical power sockets. 

7 hours ago, cityhallguy said:

I won’t spend so much (60k) on reno. My reno is 11k, Electrical appliances 3k, Furnitures 3k, so total 17k

60k usually is remove everything in the house, from flooring, windows, electrical, toilets etc, everything brand new. Plus if you look for ex ID, might cost more also. But 60k for a 2 rm flat too ex, such pricing can even do up a 4 rm flat everything brand new.

6 hours ago, Guest Single said:

Hence the chances of getting it will be quite slim. 

Sorry if this sounds discouraging to you.

I read somewhere that if you are REALLY serious about getting a BTO, apply for one in a non-mature estate. But of course everyone has their own preferences.

As a single, you are not allowed to apply BTO in a mature estate under single scheme.

4 hours ago, keyboard said:

If you want to live really near to MRT, kallang site is the best. Just opposite the site there are shops and eatery below the existing HDB flats, and also not far to upper boon keng hawker centre. And this site to near to town, it is good if you work in town or go to town area often.

Even though Dover site is near to MRT but that area no amenity. Not near to any shops and eatery.

Ghim moh site looks like near to MRT but still need to cross a road to get to the station, actually quite a distance from the station. If rain would be a problem. But ghim moh site near to eatery and shops.

22 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

If you want to live really near to MRT, kallang site is the best. Just opposite the site there are shops and eatery below the existing HDB flats, and also not far to upper boon keng hawker centre. And this site to near to town, it is good if you work in town or go to town area often.

Even though Dover site is near to MRT but that area no amenity. Not near to any shops and eatery.

Ghim moh site looks like near to MRT but still need to cross a road to get to the station, actually quite a distance from the station. If rain would be a problem. But ghim moh site near to eatery and shops.

Do you know that there is a covered walkway from Buona Vista to that part of Ghim Moh? It is through the tunnel below the main road (Commonwealth Avenue West).

Слава Україні!

19 minutes ago, sgmaven said:

Do you know that there is a covered walkway from Buona Vista to that part of Ghim Moh? It is through the tunnel below the main road (Commonwealth Avenue West).

The covered walkway to ghim moh still around?

21 minutes ago, sgmaven said:

I always thought that underpass thing was fake or some old historical tunnel that's sealed off haha. Looking at google maps. Yea, it does have an outing on the other side, though not sure how many people actually use that, but definitely good to have during rainy days.

The Kallang site does look really near to Geylang. Though it's on the other side but there's a bus interchange at the bottom, so at minimum, buses end at near/after midnight. Hard choice hard choice.

Dover site is really good if you want to go  Clementi polyclinic there, always got slots. But day to day, bit problematic.

How about resale value, which will fetch a higher price you think?

7 minutes ago, keyboard said:

I always thought that underpass thing was fake or some old historical tunnel that's sealed off haha. Looking at google maps. Yea, it does have an outing on the other side, though not sure how many people actually use that, but definitely good to have during rainy days.

The Kallang site does look really near to Geylang. Though it's on the other side but there's a bus interchange at the bottom, so at minimum, buses end at near/after midnight. Hard choice hard choice.

Dover site is really good if you want to go  Clementi polyclinic there, always got slots. But day to day, bit problematic.

all 3 sites resale value would be quite high, as all location are good. The existing hdb flats at kallang fetches $700k+ for a 2 rm flat. Ghim moh link that area HDB resale for 3 rm also around $700k+

2 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

all 3 sites resale value would be quite high, as all location are good. The existing hdb flats at kallang fetches $700k+ for a 2 rm flat. Ghim moh link that area HDB resale for 3 rm also around $700k+

I looked further on google maps. Kallang definitely food no issue and it has a Sheng Siong within walking distance! Though within walking distance can reach so many seedy places that I can't keep track of. There's no news of fights/killing people in Kallang itself, so i presume it's relatively safe? /ignorant af

Just now, keyboard said:

I looked further on google maps. Kallang definitely food no issue and it has a Sheng Siong within walking distance! Though within walking distance can reach so many seedy places that I can't keep track of. There's no news of fights/killing people in Kallang itself, so i presume it's relatively safe? /ignorant af

That kallang site is at the end of geylang, so i would think quite ok. Also this site is infront of the MRT, as compared to others HDB which is nearer to geylang area. So in terms of amenity and location, kallang is good. But only if you work in town area or east area. If you work in west area, staying in ghim moh would be better.

Just now, Guest guest said:

That kallang site is at the end of geylang, so i would think quite ok. Also this site is infront of the MRT, as compared to others HDB which is nearer to geylang area. So in terms of amenity and location, kallang is good. But only if you work in town area or east area. If you work in west area, staying in ghim moh would be better.

Nah, no jobs in west - perhaps 10+ years down the road when Jurong Lake and the train gets built, by then not working already. Thanks for the insight!

21 minutes ago, keyboard said:

You should definitely pay visits to each of the locales at different times of day. I think you should definitely visit the Kallang site at night, perhaps after 10pm, to get an idea of how it is like.

The Dover site to me, is the one that lacks amenities. Although I think all three sites should have good resale potential. The Kallang one, may have the issues, if you hope to sell to a lady though.

Слава Україні!

Just now, sgmaven said:

You should definitely pay visits to each of the locales at different times of day. I think you should definitely visit the Kallang site at night, perhaps after 10pm, to get an idea of how it is like.

The Dover site to me, is the one that lacks amenities. Although I think all three sites should have good resale potential. The Kallang one, may have the issues, if you hope to sell to a lady though.

I'm too non-adventurous to explore the east at night. But the 4 stops away from town is really a big draw. Can tabao food from a short distance (300m ish) from home is good enough.

Dover does have it's draw too, on the way back, just drop by Clementi with it's malls and hawker, even with the swimming pool. I wouldn't complain cos it's really first world problem after that.

I do think in Singapore, good spots anybody also will take. The previous plot in Lavender faces a cemetery. Sold like hot cakes. What could be worse.

2 minutes ago, keyboard said:

I'm too non-adventurous to explore the east at night. But the 4 stops away from town is really a big draw. Can tabao food from a short distance (300m ish) from home is good enough.

If you aren't adventurous enough to explore the Kallang/Geylang area at night, wouldn't it be worse if you lived there, and had to face it every day/night? Do yourself a favour, and make a visit, if you feel inclined to go for a flat there.

Слава Україні!

6 minutes ago, keyboard said:

Dover does have it's draw too, on the way back, just drop by Clementi with it's malls and hawker, even with the swimming pool. I wouldn't complain cos it's really first world problem after that.

I do think in Singapore, good spots anybody also will take. The previous plot in Lavender faces a cemetery. Sold like hot cakes. What could be worse.

Better to stay in a place that can walk to eatery and shops near your house. If need to take bus or train from your house just to buy food etc would be troublesome. Unless you are otw from outside going home and drop by the mall or hawker to tabao.

2 minutes ago, sgmaven said:

If you aren't adventurous enough to explore the Kallang/Geylang area at night, wouldn't it be worse if you lived there, and had to face it every day/night? Do yourself a favour, and make a visit, if you feel inclined to go for a flat there.

Like what exactly do you think is happening there? Drunkards hanging out at the MRT station or too many foreign labors?

I also would prefer a quieter estate but that's really at the cost of the conveniences.

2 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Better to stay in a place that can walk to eatery and shops near your house. If need to take bus or train from your house just to buy food etc would be troublesome. Unless you are otw from outside going home and drop by the mall or hawker to tabao.

Dover that one i still can accept, that plot is the one nearest to MRT, up MRT, Clementi mall is just right outside the MRT already. Technically, walking distance, even time is about the same as going across the Ghim Moh site. Generally no issue with MRT, cos I'm hiding in Clementi toilet when my next bus is coming 22 mins later. So how to complain?

5 minutes ago, keyboard said:

Like what exactly do you think is happening there? Drunkards hanging out at the MRT station or too many foreign labors?

I also would prefer a quieter estate but that's really at the cost of the conveniences.

If you want a quieter estate, i think dover site would be good. As the surrounding only have the poly and PCN. And opposite the site is the private estate.

Another thing to consider is your tolerance to ambient noise. I grew up in a private estate that was very quiet, so there was no traffic noise at all. I moved to a flat near town centre, because it was near the MRT and bus interchange. What I then realised that I had to live with the noise of buses driving past, early in the morning. Thank goodness I don't have to face the noise from the squeaking of the MRT tracks! The other thing I had to contend with, was the 歌台, during the Seventh Month. It was really noisy, and although by law supposed to end by 10pm, it used to drag beyond that hour (that was one positive of the pandemic - no 歌台!)

Слава Україні!

1 minute ago, Guest guest said:

If you want a quieter estate, i think dover site would be good. As the surrounding only have the poly and PCN. And opposite the site is the private estate.

I think by quieter, it's no main roads, no bus stops, no MRT, no shopping centers etc. Just a bunch of HDBs that kind of quiet. aka Bukit Panjang type of estates that just don't have the capacity to have proper shops in the area. (the only one coffeeshop within walking distance kind).

6 minutes ago, keyboard said:

Dover that one i still can accept, that plot is the one nearest to MRT, up MRT, Clementi mall is just right outside the MRT already. Technically, walking distance, even time is about the same as going across the Ghim Moh site. Generally no issue with MRT, cos I'm hiding in Clementi toilet when my next bus is coming 22 mins later. So how to complain?

If you want MRT just infront of the flats and quiter surrounding, dover site definitely better than ghim moh site. As the walking distance from the MRT to the flats is further.

Another thing to consider is your tolerance to ambient noise. I grew up in a private estate that was very quiet, so there was no traffic noise at all. I moved to a flat near town centre, because it was near the MRT and bus interchange. What I then realised that I had to live with the noise of buses driving past, early in the morning. Thank goodness I don't have to face the noise from the squeaking of the MRT tracks! The other thing I had to contend with, was the 歌台, during the Seventh Month. It was really noisy, and although by law supposed to end by 10pm, it used to drag beyond that hour (that was one positive of the pandemic - no 歌台!)

You can install sound proof windows. Nowadays quite common. Staying in HDB difficult to avoid noise, sure have noise comes from the roads, MRT track and eatery around.

3 minutes ago, keyboard said:

I think by quieter, it's no main roads, no bus stops, no MRT, no shopping centers etc. Just a bunch of HDBs that kind of quiet. aka Bukit Panjang type of estates that just don't have the capacity to have proper shops in the area. (the only one coffeeshop within walking distance kind).

I think some of the units would be facing the MRT side and the main road, so would not be very quiet. Unless your unit is facing the PCN/private estate side. But usually such facing would be for bigger units. For 2 rm unit, should be facing the MRT side.

1 minute ago, Guest guest said:

You can install sound proof windows. Nowadays quite common. Staying in HDB difficult to avoid noise, sure have noise comes from the roads, MRT track and eatery around.

I have gotten used to the noise from the traffic, and almost am oblivious to it. However, things like the 七月歌台 are a totally different matter - from the techno music, to the auctions... And yes, I do have sound-proof windows...

Слава Україні!

3 minutes ago, sgmaven said:

I don't expect the Kallang site to be that quiet though. MRT runs till late night or past midnight i suppose and starts 6ish. Buses definitely late 5+ will go out liao since it's an interchange.

I can't tolerate the noise since I'm already facing the main road and last buses passes by near 1am. Then there's the sports car, loud motorbike and heavy vehicles just opp. No mosque but a church. Give me a MRT and a quick ride to workplace will make me more bearable to such noises and I do prefer MRT above ground then hours underground MRT (though it's smoother).

Do note that although services on the EW line end at about midnight, it does not mean that it is zero noise thereafter. The maintenance train does roll into Dover after midnight on a regular basis, so there is noise from that.

Agreed, never stay facing the MRT track, it would be noisy 24/7. Like you said, even train service ended, there would still be noise from the maintenance servicing from midmight to 4am, and then normal train service resume again at 5am +. No matter which floor you stay also can hear the noise. 

2 minutes ago, keyboard said:

I don't expect the Kallang site to be that quiet though. MRT runs till late night or past midnight i suppose and starts 6ish. Buses definitely late 5+ will go out liao since it's an interchange.

I can't tolerate the noise since I'm already facing the main road and last buses passes by near 1am. Then there's the sports car, loud motorbike and heavy vehicles just opp. No mosque but a church. Give me a MRT and a quick ride to workplace will make me more bearable to such noises and I do prefer MRT above ground then hours underground MRT (though it's smoother).

I don't know the Geylang MRT area that well, and what the bus depot there does. However, where I live, there are Employee Buses run by SBS and SMRT that run into the wee hours of the morning. Not frequent, but they do drive by... Better to check whether the flat you are taking (since you are sensitive to noise), has Employee Buses running by in the middle of the night.

Слава Україні!

1 minute ago, sgmaven said:

I don't know the Geylang MRT area that well, and what the bus depot there does. However, where I live, there are Employee Buses run by SBS and SMRT that run into the wee hours of the morning. Not frequent, but they do drive by... Better to check whether the flat you are taking (since you are sensitive to noise), has Employee Buses running by in the middle of the night.

Sound proofing windows it is then.

Just now, keyboard said:

Sound proofing windows it is then.

It is not foolproof though... If your bedroom has an attached WC, the sound will travel through that... Unlikely for you to use soundproof windows in the WC and shut them, since you need to ventilate the area to keep it dry. And the door to the WC is definitely not soundproof!

Слава Україні!

1 minute ago, sgmaven said:

It is not foolproof though... If your bedroom has an attached WC, the sound will travel through that... Unlikely for you to use soundproof windows in the WC and shut them, since you need to ventilate the area to keep it dry. And the door to the WC is definitely not soundproof!

Fine. I'll sleep in a sound proof coffin then. Can? 😇

In the end, there is also an element of luck. Choose all we like, but we can't really choose our neighbours. For a period, there was a baby living in a flat below, that used to wail through the night... Yes, that kind of piercing wailing... It was so loud that even with my windows tightly-shut, and aircon on, the sound of her cries would transmit through my WC, into my bedroom... Thank goodness that family moved out after some time!

Слава Україні!

Do you know that a mop can dry any wet surface instantly? Shock to read such comments here. 

30 minutes ago, keyboard said:

Actually these days, the new HDB doesn't really have ventilated WC and utility area (clothes). Mine's here for 20 years ago toilet don't really go dry till afternoon ish.

It's really ending up with, what you can live with for the price you are paying.

@keyboardtake a look at this picture on google maps, and you can see the end of the tunnel and covered walkway, that is next to the site at Ghim Moh. The green wooded patch is where the flats will be built.

https://www.google.com/maps/@1.3083251,103.7912819,3a,75y,237.92h,87.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNqGjMiEpEkZBvDf8FncbZw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Слава Україні!

https://www.google.com/maps/@1.3122586,103.8718463,3a,75y,238.55h,93.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4Ij_7CX2hWEYyjAej90Mtg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The Geylang plot can be seen on this street view (Kallang MRT is on the left of picture), and is sandwiched between the MRT and the relatively new blocks behind that plot (Kallang Trivista). The Bus Terminal is opposite the MRT station from the plot, so I think the MRT tracks and trains will be a greater concern (in terms of noise) than the buses.

Edited by sgmaven

Слава Україні!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.