Male HQ

shrimps / prawns lover (aquatic - not for cuisine)

lovehandle

11 hours ago, LostSheep said:

Yeah... i think it started when i did a water change a few days back and he was struggling a lot in the net =( there was a slight tear on one of its fin... but now its getting worse... a whole chunk of it gone... i just hope he can recover well =(

That’s what happen to my platinum snowwhite half moon bettas as well last time. After learning a lesson I always use a small cup to scoop up the long finned betta and it works well. Maybe u can try the neutral way of using black water essence to reduce the stress n feed it with lots of proteins. It should recover naturally in a month or so. I don’t really like to use medication formula on my bettas.

Yeah i am learning it the hard way =( 

I am doing a daily 25% water change with a siphon tube and adding ketapang leaves extract and aquarium salt. 1 month is a long time =( but as long as it recovers.

I am seeing good reviews on Just Betta's Star formula so I am quite tempted. Is there a risk to these medication?

Yes! I went down to JustBetta to get the star formula along with other supplies that I was convinced its useful:

- kepatang leaves (should work better than extract)

- a clear scoop (which works well and gentle on the fish),

- Anti chlorine for even better water condition

Hopefully it works wonder!

I saw JBAUC as well... but not planning to get a new betta anytime soon... haha... you planning to get more bettas?

9 hours ago, Shirtless boy said:

Can check out Toh Aquarium FB page too. Lots of varieties to choose from recently. 

Hmm Toh Aquarium FB page doesn't have a lot of videos and pictures... just 1 video with a description of their new stocks... have to go down and see for ourselves

cool.. will check it Toh Aquarium when i have a chance.

I went to Hai Jing Aquarium today... wanted to get a new piece of plant, but they don't have what I want... not very impressed with their betta today haha

On the side note, another venom betta auction tonight! Got some cute dumbo betta!

That aquarium at Changi has a wider range of plants and it’s cheaper there. Good thing about bettas is that they are carnivorous and they won’t disturb plants. What plant do u use for ur betta tank? I use Java fern as it’s more hardy. I dun really fancy Hai Jing range of bettas as their range are mostly of the average kind and prices mostly at ten bucks. 

Yes! I usually get my plants from That Aquarium. My dad has a membership there which give 10% off. I have moss ball, java fern, floating spangles and anubias. I am looking for a new anubias since the leaves on my current one is falling off. My betta love to blow bubbles under them! Sometimes he hide under/rest on them too.

Woah nice! Looks like you got a good harvest from toh aquarium. Haha. What's their price range like? 

Haha yeah dont think you will want to break up ur female sorority right...

Hmm they only flare when i use a mirror or remove the partition to see each other... when i go near, they probably just camp tje surface for food. Hahahah

19 hours ago, LostSheep said:

Woah nice! Looks like you got a good harvest from toh aquarium. Haha. What's their price range like? 

Haha yeah dont think you will want to break up ur female sorority right...

Hmm they only flare when i use a mirror or remove the partition to see each other... when i go near, they probably just camp tje surface for food. Hahahah

Their price range is around 10-40. Giant ones maybe pricier as I dun really see any around on sat evening. Their female candy Koi look nice on their FB video but abit disappointing when I see them in live hence i didn’t get it. Quite pricey at $8. They sell betta feeder fish at $2 and it’s really heart aching to think that they will be gonna feb to larger fishes.

Cool.. still within reasonable range.. so what did u bought in the end?

My dad actually bought the betta feeder fish before... he tried to raise them in a big tank.. but somehow they don't grow and dies off one by one... sad... but i guess they are the runt of the litter...

11 hours ago, LostSheep said:

waa sounds good.. makes me want to start a female sorority tank too haha! Do you decorate the tank with plants too? Will look awesome with a big tank!

Yeah u should. These little gals are so much easier to take care of than other ornamental fishes & their vibrant colors and ability to recognize their owner always lift one’s mood away. They are also hardy and resistant to most diseases. I decorate my three ft tank with plently of synthetic corals, caves and synthetic sea fan to give a marine tank like feel.  

If u r looking at big tank yes, that aquarium at Changi has a wide array of tanks for u to choose and add in $40 they will deliver to your house. Smaller tank wide just shop online will do since u won’t be spending too much n won’t feel hurt if u r disappointed with the quality. I gotten my three ft tank from that aquarium & the first two residents of the tank were two motoro rays.

Based from my experience it depends. If u intend to add in 5 female betta that were from the same brood then there’s no harm adding another 5 bringing it to 10. If u intend to get different brood it’s better to stick to 5 and provide plenty of hiding spaces as the more aggressive ones will chase the weaker ones around.

Not all info online are reliable. There are even sites discouraging hobbyists from keeping sorority betta tank as they are killing one another but this is not true. Yes I have quite a few dumbos in my sorority and they are a great addition to the team as they are quite flashy, especially if u keep the pure gold n white variants.

Yeah. Their female dumbos are cheap selling at $2 if I’m not wrong. Normal female is $1 only. Double tail $4. If u have enuff hiding place can have variety of all. I’m aiming at nice candy koi n there’s one local breeder with the FB of uncle jo. Not sure if u heard of him before but his candy koi is expensive, selling at $40 each. His FB video look tempting though.

Never heard of Uncle Jo. But the price tag is higher than a lot of aquariums out there leh. Better stick to the cheaper ones while i get the hang of this.

My male yellow doubletail still hasnt made much recovery from its bitten tail... even though he is eating and swimming well =( 

His betta have gone through several round of selective breeding hence the price tag. Yup best to start off with cheaper ones but at times, I do find the dna of lower end bettas hardier than those specially breed ones. Hence this may be abit tricky also. Why I said this was because I find cheaper bettas able to withstand poor quality water than those higher end ones. And I even had one member of my female sorority that jumped out of the aquarium in the night only to have me discover it in the morning and even though the body is already dried, she survive and is still kicking today.

Wow.. fortunately that female betta survived!! I kinda agree with you also.. my $6 male dumbo seems to eat everything and it is flaring the most. In fact, its half moon tail has grown so much and its quite pretty now. Now i am having doubts in buying expensive ones hahaha

Edited by LostSheep

Is this your $6 dumbo? He’s pretty active and seem enjoying attention. Just visited Toh Aquarium this evening to get another three female golden dumbo adding my sorority to 34 now. I discover another aquarium near Toh aquarium which is at blk 67, the block in front of Toh and their male half moon is selling for $4 each only. 

Yes thats my dumbo! Quite cute eh hahaha.

Waa nice.. are there any nice female dumbo left at Toh Aquarium? I might head down next week.

I went to the row of shophouses at clementi today but it was quite a disaster.. super crowded with queue due to heightened phase 2 measures.. not many fishes and supplies also... apparently they may have problem with imports in the coming weeks :(

Edited by LostSheep

Yes he’s cute! Love the way he swim with curiosity & relax n open his fins. It’s chaos in Toh aquarium too as there were many people in there. If u were looking at female dumbo, no more stock as I already bought the last three pieces. For male yes, price range around $17 each. Some of their candy were quite nice too. I may set my hands on wild betta in future; they have couple ones selling at $38 each. 

Haha thanks for the compliment for my dumbo :D

Oh no!! Never save some for me. Hahaha.. then ill probably wait a while till i head down to Toh Aquarium. No rush also 😛

My dad has 2 male wild bettas that he bought from clementi for $17 each. I think they are hybrids. But they seem to behave quite similarly to the bettas we know. Do you know anything special about them?

hahaha im just kidding! But thanks for another recommendation. Im not in a rush... still trying to find a nice tank as this is going to my living room.

Im not a big fan of wild betta... my dad has a blue alien and a mahachai... can't actually see their color well unless in bright lightings... still prefer the usual vibrant and flashy ones hahaha

Oic. Seem like ur dad is a fan of betta as well & at least he can gives u lots of guidances. Yeah wild betta has shorter fins and duller colors than the common ones. I reckon they fight till death like plakat. I’m just intrigue about the different level of aggressiveness of various species, hence the creation of my sorority tank n separate plakat mini tanks. My next project is to get female candy koi betta probably in bulk of 20-30 and get them growing so I can enjoy a sight of beautiful mini koi swimming actively during my evening chill time with these beautiful creatures.

Waaa.. ambitious project. Are you getting another big tank then?

Yeah.. My dad rears a lot of other fishes too... including an 18 inch arrowana! We have 4 big tanks in the living room; not including the small ones. hahaha. He got me into keeping Bettas too. He is actually trying to breed Bettas on his own. We have a few broods now but they don't seem very successful (not many survived and those who did grows very slowly). Apparently there are a lot of knowledge on Betta breeding which we are slowly learning. Not an easy task!

Like father, like son 😇

I'm getting a 90L plastic tub, probably black in color from shopee.

Wow, maintenance for the 18inch arowana must be quite costly then. What species of arowana is that? I used to keep two motoro rays and they only love to eat shrimps. Cost me a bomb then to upkeep their survival.

Apparently there are lots of trade secrets on breeding bettas and proper guidance is required. Unfortunately, not many are willing to share & even if they do, they wouldn't want to reveal all details. Best is to trial and test overtime and with experience we learn from scratch. 

4 hours ago, Shirtless boy said:

Like father, like son 😇

I'm getting a 90L plastic tub, probably black in color from shopee.

Wow, maintenance for the 18inch arowana must be quite costly then. What species of arowana is that? I used to keep two motoro rays and they only love to eat shrimps. Cost me a bomb then to upkeep their survival.

Apparently there are lots of trade secrets on breeding bettas and proper guidance is required. Unfortunately, not many are willing to share & even if they do, they wouldn't want to reveal all details. Best is to trial and test overtime and with experience we learn from scratch. 

ohh really like a Koi pond? hahaha

I'm not familar with arowana... probably its golden arowana? It has some giant catfish and singray as tank mates too. I think my dad gave it a mixture of frogs, feeder fishes and shrimps.

Yeahh.. As far as i know, the female need to be full of eggs and the male needs to be very active. Not all color, size, type can breed also.. very complicated... 

I just bought a new tank and supplies from That Aquarium @ Changi!! Decided to be lazy and got a tank set with filter and lights... but realized its tad too small (8L).... oh well... will probably start with a few female bettas.. Sadly That Aquarium has quite a sad school of bettas hahahah

1 hour ago, wanton_mee said:

after 2yrs of  having shrimps n little fishes.. they all started to die slowly and I have buried lot of them already.. 不要养了 giving them to my colleague. 

I think this is part of a life cycle of keeping any pets... 2 years is considerably good... my strategy is to keep more to diversify the pain... and of course more reason to buy more! hahah

I got my rili shrimps since many years ago and they are still around but due to in-breeding, the offsprings are getting duller in colour. Wanted to upgrade the tank to bigger one to justify for a chiller so I can keep more variety of shrimps like the CRS. Been delaying as it’s super ex to pursue such an upgrade 😅

Be cool, like a breeze...

12 hours ago, LostSheep said:

ohh really like a Koi pond? hahaha

I'm not familar with arowana... probably its golden arowana? It has some giant catfish and singray as tank mates too. I think my dad gave it a mixture of frogs, feeder fishes and shrimps.

Yeahh.. As far as i know, the female need to be full of eggs and the male needs to be very active. Not all color, size, type can breed also.. very complicated... 

I just bought a new tank and supplies from That Aquarium @ Changi!! Decided to be lazy and got a tank set with filter and lights... but realized its tad too small (8L).... oh well... will probably start with a few female bettas.. Sadly That Aquarium has quite a sad school of bettas hahahah

I think this is part of a life cycle of keeping any pets... 2 years is considerably good... my strategy is to keep more to diversify the pain... and of course more reason to buy more! hahah

I reckon it just be giant red tail catfish that were being kept together with the monster fishes then. Yeah, agree that That aquarium @ Changi has a poorly maintained school of female bettas. I notice some of my female bettas that were purchased from there either gotten skin diseases or bloated stomache a few days or even weeks after they were introduced to my sorority tank. Quite scary to have these asymptomatic fishes as I have to quickly quarantine them as long as i noticed something is amiss with their daily habits. 

wow that sounds very bad.. I don't think I will buy from there... I also seen some dead ones floating upside down 😰.. the price tag isn't cheap too...

On the good note, my dad just bought 8 female dumbos from clementi ($2 ea)... Excited to add them to my new tank.. But I am also slightly concern if the space is big enough for them.. 

Edited by LostSheep

I notice even their male betta are also being kept in sad condition, with mostly inactive betta and some even half dead. But their customer service are better than other LFS, except for the short Vietnamese guy. You have a great dad who’s supporting your hobby. What’s the color of your dumbo? For your case u need to create plenty of hiding spaces and it shouldn’t be an issue especially since these eight were introduce into the tank at the same time n they were probably from the same cohort.