Male HQ

Gym Reviews

hunkchaser

So, this is the new forum on this site!

I wanted to hear reviews from you guys about the gym(s) you have been to. I am considering to give up my membership from California Fitness and looking for new membership due to some personal reasons. This can also help our fellows who are considering to get a gym membership but still confused which gym should they go to.

Let me start the reviews of the gyms where I have been to.

Clubfitt - Reasonably cheap membership. They have the basic equipment and machines. But they have shorter operating hours and open later than the big gyms. Because of this operating hour, I only have the chance to workout during weeknights and weekends, which is very crowded. In almost every equipment and machines, you have to queue up for your turn to use them during the peak hours. And that is the reason why I moved to California Fitness.

California Fitness - Before I left clubfitt, I have read reviews about gyms. I have read a lot of negative feedback about this gym. But from my experience, I did not experience those negative testimonials. Generally, my experience is good and I will recommend this gym to a friend if I am asked to (though, I did not give any contact number of a friend to those staffs who keep on asking referrals. hahaha). They have workout classes where any member can attend. One club has been closed recently which caused a bit of crowding on the remaining clubs.

just personal experiences with the following gyms i have joined....

True Fitness (6 locations - Tampines, Harbourfront, Great World City, Dijitsun Mall, Suntec City, Chevron House)

The gym floor space is generally huge and most of the existing branches are near MRT stations. This is my first gym that i signed up though for a short 33 months - ended in May 2015, I find that the service in the gym is generally good. Machines r usually in good condition.

Classes - I don't generally go for classes much, except for Yoga. You will need to log in to book the gym classes though the club does accept walk in as well. Most of the time classes are full.

Availability of machines - Not much of a issue if you go during non-peak hours. During peak hours in the early morning or evening the gym can be quite packed.

Sales rep - they can be quite pushy when your contract is about to end or during month end when they need to hit sales quota. And 6 months before your membership actually expires, there will be some who will talk to you to try entice you to renew. Otherwise generally a good experience. 

Pricing: I paid around $80 a month on a 30 month with 3 months free promo back in 2012.

Fitness First (17 locations)

Think most of us will have heard of or come across Fitness First. I signed up last year Oct. Generally they operate on a small scale size gym space. Rather compact. They run many various gym classes on a weekly basis. And the only gym I know that does aqua classes.

Classes - Has a huge variety of classes, you can just walk in as they do not have any online registration.

Availability of machines - Workout area can be congested on both weekdays and weekends as not all branches open on Sundays.

Pricing: $160 a month approx (varies depending on contract), Passport membership gives you access to international FF clubs - has limit to 30 visits for certain countries. Upon completing 10 months, you may sign in a guest on every weekend to the club with you.

Gym Attire is provided for all clubs in SG except for AMK, Cathay and Tampines.

Virgin Active (1 location)

So far they this is a relatively new comer, another will be Anytime Fitness. I recently had a trial with Virgin Active. The gym currently has only 1 club in Singapore. Will be opening at Tanjong Pagar this July and Marine One in 2017. They have interesting facilities to offer like Ice Room and Salt Room other than the usual steam room which you find in other gyms. The gym also offers some special perks monthly for members like Pedi, Mani, Shoulder or Foot reflex. Another interesting thing in the club is the availability of a salad bar where u can grab quick meals and fruits that is offered complimentary. The gym is extremely straight friendly. So you don't bump into much of the gay guys. Most of the time you see more of expats working out.

Classes - the classes offered by Virgin Active is very unique from Zuu class (works on primitive movements) to Impact class (works on compacting the body muscles) are among some of the classes that you don't see in any other gyms.

Availability of machines - Workout area is usually not very full, so machines are definitely available and you have access to all workout tools and can seek advice from roaming PTs (they differentiate the paid PTs from those on duty to assist members who train on their own).

Sales Rep: They show you around the gm to tour the facilities before discussing about the pricing and your interest to sign up. There is no element of pushing or hard selling. Which is a plus point.

Pricing: $44 per week ($166 a month approx - 12 months contract). Membership allows access to all Virgin Active outlets worldwide except for Chiswick Riverside in UK.

Workout attire is provided in Virgin Active as well.

**the entire post is based on personal experience at all the above 3 gyms.

Edited by jdu

Life is like a river flowing into the sea, Love Life.

Love, Joy and Peace.

Active SG: Dislike the limited weight range and equipment available. The ones that I have been to have old equipment that are rusty. The toilets are quite dirty too. Equipment which are spoilt takes a long time before they get repaired. 

Cali: I've only been to the outlet at raffles place. The equipment are quite old as well and the showers are curtains (if i never recall wrongly)..

Virgin Active: Nice ambiance. Lots of very good equipment and considered to be the "new kid on the block". Good add-ons like the sleeping pod, salt room, etc. Nice place to chill.

Fitnessfirst (home gym): Have been a member here for quite a while. Prices just keeps increasing. But had to stay on cause its just so convenient for me. Nice equipment and constant upgrading from time to time. Pools attached to some of the outlets.

Amore: Been to the outlet at tampines. Similar size to some of the fitnessfirst outlets. Similar equipment to fitnessfirst. But entry for guys are limited to certain outlets.

True Fitness: Good variety of gym equipment. But the gym seems a little dark at certain places..hmm..

Dennis Gym (Simei/tampines): Very small gym compared to the commercial ones, decent amount of equipment.

The Forge (Strength and conditioning facility): Was here for classes, but its good for those who enjoy barbell work. Coach available for hire if serious about barbell work, etc

I usually choose a gym based on equipment and the overall training experience. As for people who are into group classes, it would be good to join those commercial gyms. But do note that some of the group classes are only within certain gyms. Not many instructors can crossover (eg. fitnessfirst and true fitness).

Edited by xydboy

8 hours ago, xydboy said:

Active SG: Dislike the limited weight range and equipment available. The ones that I have been to have old equipment that are rusty. The toilets are quite dirty too. Equipment which are spoilt takes a long time before they get repaired. 

Cali: I've only been to the outlet at raffles place. The equipment are quite old as well and the showers are curtains (if i never recall wrongly)..

Virgin Active: Nice ambiance. Lots of very good equipment and considered to be the "new kid on the block". Good add-ons like the sleeping pod, salt room, etc. Nice place to chill.

Fitnessfirst (home gym): Have been a member here for quite a while. Prices just keeps increasing. But had to stay on cause its just so convenient for me. Nice equipment and constant upgrading from time to time. Pools attached to some of the outlets.

True Fitness: Been to the outlet at tampines. Similar size to some of the fitnessfirst outlets. Similar equipment to fitnessfirst. But entry for guys are limited to certain outlets.

Dennis Gym (Simei/tampines): Very small gym compared to the commercial ones, decent amount of equipment.

The Forge (Strength and conditioning facility): Was here for classes, but its good for those who enjoy barbell work. Coach available for hire if serious about barbell work, etc

I usually choose a gym based on equipment and the overall training experience. As for people who are into group classes, it would be good to join those commercial gyms. But do note that some of the group classes are only within certain gyms. Not many instructors can crossover (eg. fitnessfirst and true fitness).

I've been to True Fitness too. but i Dont think true fitness has gender restrictions for their clubs. It is Amore fitness that has the all ladies gym and unisex gym offering.

Love, Joy and Peace.

Here's mine for some of the AF branches. I don't join classes, so I have not included class information here.

Anytime Fitness:

Hougang:
Pros:
New equipment, large area
Cons:
1. Attire Nazis – conform sports attire, else face the wrath of the staff who will ask you to leave
2. NO showers – only one shower in the CC and it’s locked! (as at 3/2016)
3. NO toilets, share with CC outside of gym
4. Limited changing rooms
5. Hard to get to, if you don’t drive

Nex:
Pros:
Easily accessible, large area
Cons:
1. C.r.o.w.d.e.d : Will need to share equipment, esp during peak
2. C.r.o.w.d.e.d:  
Need to queue for showers, esp during peak

Queenstown:
Pros:
Quiet, not crowded
Cons:
1. Small and equipment are packed

Elias Mall:
Pros:
Not crowded during non-peak
Cons:
1. Small and crowded during peak (crowded on weekday evenings)
2. Hard to get to, if you don’t drive

Macpherson:
Pros:
1. Not crowded
Cons:
1. Small with old equipment
2. Hard to get to, if you don’t drive
3. No toilets, share with CC

Would recommend cali over true if location is convenient.

At true, the consultants and trainers do hard sales. I feel the equipment is adequate, but once a machine gets spoilt, it takes forEVER to replace/be repaired. Does get crowded at peak (5pm-8pm weekdays), and sometimes you might have to queue for machine during peak hours. I just use cables or free weights instead.

At cali, I feel the atmosphere is more relaxed and newbie friendly. However, it has become more crowded. As for equipment, the machines are a bit old, but they do get serviced and repaired promptly.

Edited by kkkkk
Mistake

37 minutes ago, kkkkk said:

At cali, I feel the atmosphere is more relaxed and newbie friendly. However, due to the closure of the raffles branch, the other branches have become more crowded. As for equipment, the machines are a bit old, but they do get serviced and repaired promptly.

It is the Orchard Club that closed down.

12 hours ago, jdu said:

I've been to True Fitness too. but i Dont think true fitness has gender restrictions for their clubs. It is Amore fitness that has the all ladies gym and unisex gym offering.

Ahh yes, my bad, its amore. Oh this adds one more gym to the list. Apologies just recalled, the true fitness outlet which I have been to was the one at suntec. Good variety of gym equipment. But the gym seems a little dark at certain places..hmm...

8 hours ago, kkkkk said:

wait i'm sorry what? Care to clarify? I have never experienced this.

I signed up for True and Cali. Would recommend cali over true if location is convenient.

At true, the consultants and trainers do hard sales. I just started to ignore them after a while. I feel the equipment is adequate, but once a machine gets spoilt, it takes forEVER to replace/be repaired. Does get crowded at peak (5pm-8pm weekdays), and sometimes you might have to queue for machine during peak hours. I just use cables or dumbbells instead.

At cali, I feel the atmosphere is more relaxed and newbie friendly. However, due to the closure of the raffles branch, the other branches have become more crowded. As for equipment, the machines are a bit old, but they do get serviced and repaired promptly.

Clarified as above. Been to too many gyms, can be rather confusing at times. Apologies for the confusion.

1 hour ago, xydboy said:

Ahh yes, my bad, its amore. Oh this adds one more gym to the list. Apologies just recalled, the true fitness outlet which I have been to was the one at suntec. Good variety of gym equipment. But the gym seems a little dark at certain places..hmm...

Yes.... Maybe u wana edit the post u made so that those who read wont be confused. Just my 2cents....

Btw, u seem to have tried visiting many different gyms :)

Love, Joy and Peace.

41 minutes ago, xydboy said:

Yes I do...probably because of my network and the things that I do..=)

What do you do? :)

I go to Pure Fitness. The one at Orchard closed and now the crowd has thronged Asia Square. It's quite a large gym but very well equipped, and the trainers leave you alone. There's no hard selling here.

On 3/1/2016 at 11:00 PM, jdu said:

just personal experiences with the following gyms i have joined....

True Fitness (6 locations - Tampines, Harbourfront, Great World City, Dijitsun Mall, Suntec City, Chevron House)

The gym floor space is generally huge and most of the existing branches are near MRT stations. This is my first gym that i signed up though for a short 33 months - ended in May 2015, I find that the service in the gym is generally good. Machines r usually in good condition.

Classes - I don't generally go for classes much, except for Yoga. You will need to log in to book the gym classes though the club does accept walk in as well. Most of the time classes are full.

Availability of machines - Not much of a issue if you go during non-peak hours. During peak hours in the early morning or evening the gym can be quite packed.

Sales rep - they can be quite pushy when your contract is about to end or during month end when they need to hit sales quota. And 6 months before your membership actually expires, there will be some who will talk to you to try entice you to renew. Otherwise generally a good experience. 

Pricing: I paid around $80 a month on a 30 month with 3 months free promo back in 2012.

Fitness First (17 locations)

Think most of us will have heard of or come across Fitness First. I signed up last year Oct. Generally they operate on a small scale size gym space. Rather compact. They run many various gym classes on a weekly basis. And the only gym I know that does aqua classes.

Classes - Has a huge variety of classes, you can just walk in as they do not have any online registration.

Availability of machines - Workout area can be congested on both weekdays and weekends as not all branches open on Sundays.

Pricing: $160 a month approx (varies depending on contract), Passport membership gives you access to international FF clubs - has limit to 30 visits for certain countries. Upon completing 10 months, you may sign in a guest on every weekend to the club with you.

Gym Attire is provided for all clubs in SG except for AMK, Cathay and Tampines.

So far they this is a relatively new comer, another will be Anytime Fitness. I recently had a trial with Virgin Active. The gym currently has only 1 club in Singapore. Will be opening at Tanjong Pagar this July and Marine One in 2017. They have interesting facilities to offer like Ice Room and Salt Room other than the usual steam room which you find in other gyms. The gym also offers some special perks monthly for members like Pedi, Mani, Shoulder or Foot reflex. Another interesting thing in the club is the availability of a salad bar where u can grab quick meals and fruits that is offered complimentary. The gym is extremely straight friendly. So you don't bump into much of the gay guys. Most of the time you see more of expats working out.

Classes - the classes offered by Virgin Active is very unique from Zuu class (works on primitive movements) to Impact class (works on compacting the body muscles) are among some of the classes that you don't see in any other gyms.

Availability of machines - Workout area is usually not very full, so machines are definitely available and you have access to all workout tools and can seek advice from roaming PTs (they differentiate the paid PTs from those on duty to assist members who train on their own).

Sales Rep: They show you around the gm to tour the facilities before discussing about the pricing and your interest to sign up. There is no element of pushing or hard selling. Which is a plus point.

Pricing: $44 per week ($166 a month approx - 12 months contract). Membership allows access to all Virgin Active outlets worldwide except for Chiswick Riverside in UK.

**the entire post is based on personal experience at all the above 3 gyms.

Good review and thanks for sharing.  So SGD 165/month is reasonable for Fitness First?

1 minute ago, seven7 said:

Good review and thanks for sharing.  So SGD 165/month is reasonable for Fitness First?

if you ask me.... it depends on various factor. Convenience, facilities, environment and if it meets your training objective.

Love, Joy and Peace.

On 3/1/2016 at 11:00 PM, jdu said:

3 minutes ago, jdu said:

if you ask me.... it depends on various factor. Convenience, facilities, environment and if it meets your training objective.

I'm with Cali now where I pay 55/month so going to FF is a jump, but you make a good point above.

Just now, seven7 said:

I'm with Cali now where I pay 55/month so going to FF is a jump, but you make a good point above.

Yes bro...

got to factor in various objectives... no point going for something on the higher end or lower end if at the end of the day... we are not making it worth the hard earn money... lolz....

Love, Joy and Peace.

2 hours ago, seven7 said:

If you ask me, its definitely not reasonable to have it at that pricing. Do note that they will increase the dues every year by 2-4%. I doubt most commercial gyms would do that. And when you leave and decide to return, don't expect the same rate as what you paid for previously..

12 hours ago, seven7 said:

In my opinion, Fitness First is only worth the bucks if you attend their classes regularly. They have very good instructors.

If you are just into machines and free weights, you have much cheaper options elsewhere.

8 hours ago, azimuth said:

In my opinion, Fitness First is only worth the bucks if you attend their classes regularly. They have very good instructors.

If you are just into machines and free weights, you have much cheaper options elsewhere.

yeah i'm just interested in the machines and free weights. i don't really go to classes.

Guest Sport-coholic
10 hours ago, azimuth said:

Not all the instructors.

10 hours ago, azimuth said:

Haha, I never attend their classes, but I still choose FF because of the availability of the equipment and the relatively spacious gym floor. Not to mentioned how convenient it is for me to travel to the gym.

Guest Sport-coholic
23 hours ago, seven7 said:

yeah i'm just interested in the machines and free weights. i don't really go to classes.

Why not get a free trial to try out for a few times first on weekdays or you can tag along with your friends who can sign you in on weekends?

21 hours ago, xydboy said:

Haha, I never attend their classes, but I still choose FF because of the availability of the equipment and the relatively spacious gym floor. Not to mentioned how convenient it is for me to travel to the gym.

Some of the branches really have too small gym floor like AMK, Capital Tower, Changi and Cathay.

Besides the convenience, also appreciate that they do at least renovate the clubs. In my 4 years with them, they have opened 6 new clubs and did some minor renovations to clubs like OGS and ORQ. At least I feel that the money I'm paying is going to those upgrades and additional clubs. When I signed up with them, the annual percentage increase was stated in the contract (not sure if they still do it now). I'm fine with that as they are being upfront. 

38 minutes ago, nusboy89 said:

Anyone goes to Virgin active as well? Loving how it's never overcrowded or maybe  i just go too late/ early. Instructors are consistently good. 

Equipment are new and well maintained, toilets and steam rooms aren't dirty and gross like some of the FF ones.

They are good. Hopefully they have more branches soon. 

9 hours ago, nusboy89 said:

Anyone goes to Virgin active as well? Loving how it's never overcrowded or maybe  i just go too late/ early. Instructors are consistently good. 

Equipment are new and well maintained, toilets and steam rooms aren't dirty and gross like some of the FF ones.

Yeap they are really good! If they are as accessible as FF, I'm sure they will give them a run of their money

On 01/03/2016 at 11:00 PM, jdu said:

On 01/03/2016 at 11:29 PM, xydboy said:

On 11/03/2016 at 10:04 AM, nusboy89 said:

On 11/03/2016 at 10:42 AM, azimuth said:

They are good. Hopefully they have more branches soon. 

On 11/03/2016 at 3:31 PM, nusboy89 said:

they are! I heard - one in Tanjong pagar this year, and MBFC next year. not sure exactly when tho

On 11/03/2016 at 7:24 PM, xydboy said:

Yeap they are really good! If they are as accessible as FF, I'm sure they will give them a run of their money

1) i have NEVER seen any of you at VA except XYD

2) generally i should be able to answer anything on VA

my view -

VA only 1 outlet in a old building ex-OUB plaza, tanjong pagar opeing in aug 2016, marina one in 2017.

CONFIRM delay de... the construction at tanjong pagar doesn't look half done

bias - i have never been other gym except SAFRA TPY and JUR

my view part 2 -

i guess their business model/floor plan/concept of an atas gym/ new class types have given FF an run for their money. they are an atas gym, for sure, like the SQ of gyms.

i am of the belief that the instructors are good, PTs and class instructors alike, generally clean yes and despite their WTH opening hours the facilities are generally well equipped. the waster-sucking and fragrance showers aside, steam room is clean (from what i read of other gym's steamroom), there is an ice room, enough pantry space, sleeping areas .... etc

they have an online booking system for classes, thus the more popular timings and instructors (yes, people have preference for instructors) are always booked.

the PTs are friendly, alot of the pioneer members are friends with them, we go out and eat together on weekends and all. if you ask for a spot, they are ok to help you out.

price wise -

cheap meh? according to FF friends, they are at the ceiling together with FF, about 160 for corporate rate 1 year contract,

normal is about 180+ a month, no contract, 2 weeks notice to cancel, or after the next billing cycle. i assume these have not changed since opening day.

differences between clubs -

Raffles place - got spin class and hot yoga

Tanjong pagar - got NO spin class, but got climate room to simulate high altitude training, or you can wear a mask

marina one - like in BKK, will have rock climbing wall.

crowds -

all CBD gyms are crowded during peak hours, for VA, i have been told that members wait outside the door for 630am to come and the doors open.

generally after 8pm is ok, thursday and friday night  confirm the gym is your play ground.

weekends, getting crowded but after 3 pm is playground time, sometimes sundays the PT school will run their classes there.

What else... we have a platform?

- the one raffles place flooring cannot take prowlers the way Pure @ asia square does,

- unlike everyone else, no cable rows, very epic disappointment IMO, but there are alternative measures

- unlike TPY SAFRA, no T bar row, no smith machine

- did we mention VA has 1 platform, 2 squat racks, 4 spare barbells :)

- our DBs are max 36kg

- like the 3 FFs and 1 TF around raffles place MRT station, you get the scenic view of regatta and vertical marathon every year HAHAHAHAHA !

#TLDR
#overstayedMyWelcome

23 minutes ago, heliumduck said:

1) i have NEVER seen any of you at VA except XYD

2) generally i should be able to answer anything on VA

my view -

VA only 1 outlet in a old building ex-OUB plaza, tanjong pagar opeing in aug 2016, marina one in 2017.

CONFIRM delay de... the construction at tanjong pagar doesn't look half done

bias - i have never been other gym except SAFRA TPY and JUR

my view part 2 -

i guess their business model/floor plan/concept of an atas gym/ new class types have given FF an run for their money. they are an atas gym, for sure, like the SQ of gyms.

i am of the belief that the instructors are good, PTs and class instructors alike, generally clean yes and despite their WTH opening hours the facilities are generally well equipped. the waster-sucking and fragrance showers aside, steam room is clean (from what i read of other gym's steamroom), there is an ice room, enough pantry space, sleeping areas .... etc

they have an online booking system for classes, thus the more popular timings and instructors (yes, people have preference for instructors) are always booked.

the PTs are friendly, alot of the pioneer members are friends with them, we go out and eat together on weekends and all. if you ask for a spot, they are ok to help you out.

price wise -

cheap meh? according to FF friends, they are at the ceiling together with FF, about 160 for corporate rate 1 year contract,

normal is about 180+ a month, no contract, 2 weeks notice to cancel, or after the next billing cycle. i assume these have not changed since opening day.

differences between clubs -

Raffles place - got spin class and hot yoga

Tanjong pagar - got NO spin class, but got climate room to simulate high altitude training, or you can wear a mask

marina one - like in BKK, will have rock climbing wall.

crowds -

all CBD gyms are crowded during peak hours, for VA, i have been told that members wait outside the door for 630am to come and the doors open.

generally after 8pm is ok, thursday and friday night  confirm the gym is your play ground.

weekends, getting crowded but after 3 pm is playground time, sometimes sundays the PT school will run their classes there.

What else... we have a platform?

- the one raffles place flooring cannot take prowlers the way Pure @ asia square does,

- unlike everyone else, no cable rows, very epic disappointment IMO, but there are alternative measures

- unlike TPY SAFRA, no T bar row, no smith machine

- did we mention VA has 1 platform, 2 squat racks, 4 spare barbells :)

- our DBs are max 36kg

- like the 3 FFs and 1 TF around raffles place MRT station, you get the scenic view of regatta and vertical marathon every year HAHAHAHAHA !

#TLDR
#overstayedMyWelcome

Oh and one more thing, you guys have really good weights that allows lots of power movement to be done. Those weights can take the beating. The ones by technogym, I'm not sure how resilient they are at when you do your snatch and throw them down on the floor repeatedly.

Just now, xydboy said:

Oh and one more thing, you guys have really good weights that allows lots of power movement to be done. Those weights can take the beating. The ones by technogym, I'm not sure how resilient they are at when you do your snatch and throw them down on the floor repeatedly.

Technogym weights are everywhere i think , DO NOT THROW TECHNOGYM WEIGHTS ! period.

platforms can O-lift, lilke Cleans, clean and jerk, snatch and its many variations,

sure, it's no ELEIKO, and our bars not made in japan, but so far its enough for our members. plus thats what the platform is for.
for guys up to 1.8m in height to drop their weights from shoulder height LOL

O-lift plates are made differently, padding is different, compared to weightlifting/gym weight plates

im not pro on manufacturing but its what people tell me.

1 minute ago, heliumduck said:

Technogym weights are everywhere i think , DO NOT THROW TECHNOGYM WEIGHTS ! period.

platforms can O-lift, lilke Cleans, clean and jerk, snatch and its many variations,

sure, it's no ELEIKO, and our bars not made in japan, but so far its enough for our members. plus thats what the platform is for.
for guys up to 1.8m in height to drop their weights from shoulder height LOL

O-lift plates are made differently, padding is different, compared to weightlifting/gym weight plates

im not pro on manufacturing but its what people tell me.

Its not eleiko but its at least rubberised. Technogym plates aren't very rubberised. This brand is frequently seen in those commercial gyms. private gyms I believe are different. Those in gymmboxx, if memory doesn't serve me wrongly, they are not technogym brand.

@heliumduck: ive got no idea.... I only go early morn 6:30am, or after work for weekdays.... Weekends is usually morning or afternoon. Never seen anyone from the forum here.

Gym generally less crowd after 8pm or early morn opening from 6:30 to 7am.

As for weekend opening hours, they are opening at 8:30am to 5pm for Sunday and PH. Previously was 10am to 5pm.

Love, Joy and Peace.

1 minute ago, jdu said:

@heliumduck: ive got no idea.... I only go early morn 6:30am, or after work for weekdays.... Weekends is usually morning or afternoon. Never seen anyone from the forum here.

As for weekend opening hours, they are opening at 8:30am to 5pm for Sunday and PH. Previously was 10am to 5pm.

so you are one of those who go there at 630am ah.... hahaha
can't say you all don't drive the staff mad

i agree with you on the 8pm crowd bit

Just now, heliumduck said:

3 minutes ago, jdu said:

I guess generally CBD gyms are always packed early morning or after work. Monday and Tuesdays around 6:30pm are impossible.

15 minutes ago, heliumduck said:

TBH.... Most of the gyms at cbd will be packed in d morn. But so far my experience with VA aint that packed though.

@heliumduck never hear them say leh. I reach ard 6:45am...:-) not those super early bird....

Love, Joy and Peace.

6 hours ago, seven7 said:

Has anyone tried Gymm Box?

Yeap, been there as well. Opps, forgot to write this into the list. They have a good range of equipment. There's a 24hr outlet under their name. No matter what you do, do not drop the weights there. Its a zero tolerance for those who drop or slam the weights on the floor.

7 minutes ago, xydboy said:

Yeap, been there as well. Opps, forgot to write this into the list. They have a good range of equipment. There's a 24hr outlet under their name. No matter what you do, do not drop the weights there. Its a zero tolerance for those who drop or slam the weights on the floor.

I wished the staff was a little bit more stricter at Safras' gyms.

57 minutes ago, CamperBoy said:

I wished the staff was a little bit more stricter at Safras' gyms.

In my school gym and at fitnessfirst, nobody comments on anything..I usually don't encourage dropping or slamming of weights unless it is for safety, training or fatigue. Try lower the weights gently after doing a 1-3RM weight range...

1 minute ago, xydboy said:

In my school gym and at fitnessfirst, nobody comments on anything..I usually don't encourage dropping or slamming of weights unless it is for safety, training or fatigue. Try lower the weights gently after doing a 1-3RM weight range...

I am talking about those who just finished a rep of bench press for example, and from where he is standing, took out the weights from the bar and just drop it from where he is standing and walking to the other side to do the same thing as though trying to make a statement.

23 hours ago, CamperBoy said:

I am talking about those who just finished a rep of bench press for example, and from where he is standing, took out the weights from the bar and just drop it from where he is standing and walking to the other side to do the same thing as though trying to make a statement.

Oh those..yes that is something I don't get it as well. But yea, that's why gyms are getting those weights which are resistant to throwing and damaging. Bumper plates ftw!

On 2016年3月2日 at 11:17 PM, jo.sam said:

What do you do? :)

I go to Pure Fitness. The one at Orchard closed and now the crowd has thronged Asia Square. It's quite a large gym but very well equipped, and the trainers leave you alone. There's no hard selling here.

I also go to Pure Fitness. The staff and members are very nice and friendly but the closure of KB was badly handled. However, I really like Pure Yoga, so I have no plans to drop PF YET.

• 4 weeks later...

@guest cute exec, from what i heard from friends, cali = $53 nett (2.5 years min),tf = $63 nett (42 months) or $86 nett (36 months), and ff = $144++ if you sign for 2years or something. Different consultants offer different rates. ;) and at different "promotion" timings

Instead of considering a full fledged retail Gym, one should consider looking at Social or Country club memberships. The gyms in those clubs are usually not crowded and are on par or better equipped than those mass market retail Gyms like Anytime fitness. Such club memberships, if purchased at the right price, could yield a decent a return on investment if the price of the club membership goes up later. 

For Mass market retail gyms, there really isnt much differentiation between them in terms of equipment (with the exception of cali fitness, most of them have up to date equipment). Price, opening hours and Location will probably be the deciding factor. Anyway, a gym that doesnt have members pulling apart your shower curtains while you are bathing or stealing your underwear or gym attire is a good gym :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.