Male HQ

What kind of supplements are you taking?

azimuth

erm, if it s for beauty?
Collagen, anyone? like kinohimitsu or meiji's collagen - does it really work

I assumed most hunky gays and those aspiring to be one, all focused on body/muscles bldg., fat burn and fitness? there should be another thread on this already

1 hour ago, jo.sam said:

Anyone tried Controlled Labs' Purple Wraath? A guy in the gym recommended this to me, I got home and googled it and it seems to have quite a following even though the packaging looks dodgy AF.

image_27326_original_X_450_white.jpg

I usually try not to get such supplements where they put one whole bunch of compounds together then give you the total weight of all the compounds. You have no idea how much does that specific compound of interest is present. Makes the entire product very suspicious. I can give you 7000mg of everything mentioned, but the good stuff (leucine), i only give you maybe 500.

22 hours ago, xydboy said:

I usually try not to get such supplements where they put one whole bunch of compounds together then give you the total weight of all the compounds. You have no idea how much does that specific compound of interest is present. Makes the entire product very suspicious. I can give you 7000mg of everything mentioned, but the good stuff (leucine), i only give you maybe 500.

Thanks for the tip! Optimum BCAA would be a better product then?

image_24175_original_X_450_white.jpgbcaa5000-powder.jpg?t=1434383691

1 hour ago, helloitsme said:

Hello, everyone. 

Having been hearing about the pros and cons (can be pretty serious) about creatine.

And since you guys are taking it, what are the best ways to eat it? 

Any kind advice?

What you mean best ways to eat it? You can take it through a creatine loading protocol (look at the product label or google the protocol), or you can just take it before or after your workout. Some people take it with water, some people take it with isotonic drinks, some of the creatine products are in combination with other compounds, etc.

Creatine has been a widely researched compound and few adverse side effects have been found and its considered to be safe. Refer to: http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

54 minutes ago, xydboy said:

What you mean best ways to eat it? You can take it through a creatine loading protocol (look at the product label or google the protocol), or you can just take it before or after your workout. Some people take it with water, some people take it with isotonic drinks, some of the creatine products are in combination with other compounds, etc.

Creatine has been a widely researched compound and few adverse side effects have been found and its considered to be safe. Refer to: http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

It's great to have you on this forum @xydboy. You give the best replies to fitness questions!

15 hours ago, xydboy said:

Thanks, @xydboy!

One more question:

I'm a hardgainner, and have been going to the gym for 6 times a week (started in Feb), 1 hr each time, and doing weight training.

Have also been tracking my calories intake to hit 2,500 per day.

I still dont really see an increase in my weight.

Is there anything I have done not right?

8 hours ago, helloitsme said:

Thanks, @xydboy!

One more question:

I'm a hardgainner, and have been going to the gym for 6 times a week (started in Feb), 1 hr each time, and doing weight training.

It's only been one month! When you say 2,500 calories per day, how protein-heavy is it? Also, what sort of exercises do you do when you hit the gym? If you ask me 6 times a week is a lot, and there's really no point if you don't lift progressively heavier each time you do the same exercises. Share with us your routine :)

10 hours ago, helloitsme said:

Thanks, @xydboy!

One more question:

What kind of exercises do you do in the gym? Maybe you can list the regime you have so that I can have a look and see. Also state the reps/sets and intensity at which you do those at. And also as mentioned, its still in the infancy stage. Growth takes time, assuming you started this year in feb, you would need at least 4-6 months(approximation) for observable growth.

Edited by xydboy

http://www.coachmag.co.uk/exercises/2188/five-best-supplements

Discover which supplements are the best (and the worst) for accelerating your training gains and reinforcing your diet

•  
mens_fitness_19579.jpg?itok=zMYlYly3

SAM RIDER 

7 MAR 2016

If you’re serious about changing your physique, you know you need to train and eat in the right manner to build new lean muscle mass while burning unwanted fat. But training hard can deplete your body of vitamins, nutrients and other compounds essential for muscle gain and fat loss. Even with the best diet possible, it can be incredibly tough to get all these vital elements – and that’s where supplements come in.

The Foundations

The supplements Whey, Fish Oil (Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Vitamin D, Casein

Whey

The daddy of all protein. Derived from milk, whey protein provides all nine essential amino acids to build muscle. Isolate (90% protein) or fast-absorbing hydrolysates are best. The ideal post-workout dose is 20-25g.

Fish Oil (Omega 3 Fatty Acids)

If the only fish you eat is from the chippy, get your cholesterol-improving unsaturated fats from this fat-fighting super-supp that also boosts blood flow and reduces inflammation.

Vitamin D

Needed for healthy bones, muscles and immunity. Sunlight is the best source, but supps help prevent deficiency, which can lead to low strength and illness. Recommended dose: 1,000IU a day.

Casein

The nightcap. Also found in milk, it has larger molecules than whey – although it contains the same amino acids – so it’s absorbed more slowly. An ideal pre-bed protein hit after exercise.

RECOMMENDED: Whey vs Casein

The Back-Ups

The supplements Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAS), Probiotics, Green Tea Extract, Creatine

Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAS)

Valine, leucine and isoleucine help fuel your muscles and stop them breaking down during exercise. Only needed when training like a demon.

Probiotics

Re-colonise your gut with live bacteria to aid digestion and extract nutrients from your food. Taken in the lead-up to a major race, they can cut the risk of respiratory problems.

Green Tea Extract

A mix of potent antioxidants and caffeine nudges up thermogenesis (calorie burning and fat oxidation) to give your fat-burning efforts a helping hand.

Creatine

If power and strength are your top trumps, sprinkling 5g monohydrate creatine powder in your post-training protein shake can help sustain your high-intensity efforts.

The Emergencies

The supplements Dextrose/Maltodextrin, Beet Juice, Beta-Alanine, Caffeine

Dextrose/Maltodextrin

A carbohydrate derived from corn starch. During training 30-60g of carbs per hour helps prolong endurance. Post-workout, a ratio of 4:1 carbs to protein restores glycogen for rapid recovery.

Beet Juice

Forget spinach – beetroot is the king of performance veg. Nitrates (converted to nitric oxide) widen blood vessels and aid delivery of oxygen to your muscles for lasting endurance.

Beta-Alanine

Got a deadlift PB you simply must destroy? Boost your chances by offsetting fatigue with this amino acid. Note: can cause paraesthesia (skin tingling) if you chug too much in one go.

Caffeine

This legal stimulant is a minor miracle worker – it boosts endorphins in your brain to reduce your perception of fatigue and pain, tricking you into a better, more alert mood for work or play.

The Optionals

The supplements ZMA (Zinc Magnesium Aspartate), Taurine, Supergreeens, Vitamin C

ZMA (Zinc Magnesium Aspartate)

Claimed to boost testosterone and energy while promoting undisturbed sleep – but you only need it if you’re deficient. Nuts and seeds will keep your magnesium and zinc topped up.

Taurine

An amino acid often found on the labels of dubious energy drinks, it’s said to improve endurance but proof is limited. You can get all you need from milk, fish, meat and eggs.

Supergreeens

If your diet’s strictly carnivorous, slurping concentrated fruit, veg and herbs can balance your pH levels, helping prevent weight gain. But you’ll miss out on the fibre of fresh greens.

Vitamin C

This powerful antioxidant prevents cell damage and aids recovery, but too much (over 1,000mg) can blunt muscle growth. Get your C from berries, citrus fruit and peppers.

The Empty Promises

The supplements Soy, Ephedrine (Ma Huang), Waxy Maize Starch and Dehydroepiandrosterone (Dhea)

Soy

Whole soy beans are a high-fibre, high-protein bedrock of the gut-healthy Asian diet. Powdered soy, on the other hand, is often stripped of any benefit.

Ephedrine (Ma Huang)

A powerful stimulant that mimics adrenaline, often used in fat burners and cold remedies, but it carries severe heart-related risks.

Waxy Maize Starch

Carbs from rice, barley or corn. It’s said to help rapid recovery, but some studies show it has worse digestive properties than white bread.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (Dhea)

This steroid is meant to boost testosterone for lean muscle but can result in acne, cancer, heart attacks and moobs.

8 minutes ago, azimuth said:

http://www.coachmag.co.uk/exercises/2188/five-best-supplements

Discover which supplements are the best (and the worst) for accelerating your training gains and reinforcing your diet

•  
  •  
  •  
mens_fitness_19579.jpg?itok=zMYlYly3

SAM RIDER 

7 MAR 2016

If you’re serious about changing your physique, you know you need to train and eat in the right manner to build new lean muscle mass while burning unwanted fat. But training hard can deplete your body of vitamins, nutrients and other compounds essential for muscle gain and fat loss. Even with the best diet possible, it can be incredibly tough to get all these vital elements – and that’s where supplements come in.

The Foundations

The supplements Whey, Fish Oil (Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Vitamin D, Casein

Whey

The daddy of all protein. Derived from milk, whey protein provides all nine essential amino acids to build muscle. Isolate (90% protein) or fast-absorbing hydrolysates are best. The ideal post-workout dose is 20-25g.

Fish Oil (Omega 3 Fatty Acids)

If the only fish you eat is from the chippy, get your cholesterol-improving unsaturated fats from this fat-fighting super-supp that also boosts blood flow and reduces inflammation.

Vitamin D

Needed for healthy bones, muscles and immunity. Sunlight is the best source, but supps help prevent deficiency, which can lead to low strength and illness. Recommended dose: 1,000IU a day.

Casein

The nightcap. Also found in milk, it has larger molecules than whey – although it contains the same amino acids – so it’s absorbed more slowly. An ideal pre-bed protein hit after exercise.

RECOMMENDED: Whey vs Casein

The Back-Ups

The supplements Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAS), Probiotics, Green Tea Extract, Creatine

Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAS)

Valine, leucine and isoleucine help fuel your muscles and stop them breaking down during exercise. Only needed when training like a demon.

Probiotics

Re-colonise your gut with live bacteria to aid digestion and extract nutrients from your food. Taken in the lead-up to a major race, they can cut the risk of respiratory problems.

Green Tea Extract

A mix of potent antioxidants and caffeine nudges up thermogenesis (calorie burning and fat oxidation) to give your fat-burning efforts a helping hand.

Creatine

If power and strength are your top trumps, sprinkling 5g monohydrate creatine powder in your post-training protein shake can help sustain your high-intensity efforts.

The Emergencies

The supplements Dextrose/Maltodextrin, Beet Juice, Beta-Alanine, Caffeine

Dextrose/Maltodextrin

A carbohydrate derived from corn starch. During training 30-60g of carbs per hour helps prolong endurance. Post-workout, a ratio of 4:1 carbs to protein restores glycogen for rapid recovery.

Beet Juice

Forget spinach – beetroot is the king of performance veg. Nitrates (converted to nitric oxide) widen blood vessels and aid delivery of oxygen to your muscles for lasting endurance.

Beta-Alanine

Got a deadlift PB you simply must destroy? Boost your chances by offsetting fatigue with this amino acid. Note: can cause paraesthesia (skin tingling) if you chug too much in one go.

Caffeine

This legal stimulant is a minor miracle worker – it boosts endorphins in your brain to reduce your perception of fatigue and pain, tricking you into a better, more alert mood for work or play.

The Optionals

The supplements ZMA (Zinc Magnesium Aspartate), Taurine, Supergreeens, Vitamin C

ZMA (Zinc Magnesium Aspartate)

Claimed to boost testosterone and energy while promoting undisturbed sleep – but you only need it if you’re deficient. Nuts and seeds will keep your magnesium and zinc topped up.

Taurine

An amino acid often found on the labels of dubious energy drinks, it’s said to improve endurance but proof is limited. You can get all you need from milk, fish, meat and eggs.

Supergreeens

If your diet’s strictly carnivorous, slurping concentrated fruit, veg and herbs can balance your pH levels, helping prevent weight gain. But you’ll miss out on the fibre of fresh greens.

Vitamin C

This powerful antioxidant prevents cell damage and aids recovery, but too much (over 1,000mg) can blunt muscle growth. Get your C from berries, citrus fruit and peppers.

The Empty Promises

The supplements Soy, Ephedrine (Ma Huang), Waxy Maize Starch and Dehydroepiandrosterone (Dhea)

Soy

Whole soy beans are a high-fibre, high-protein bedrock of the gut-healthy Asian diet. Powdered soy, on the other hand, is often stripped of any benefit.

Ephedrine (Ma Huang)

A powerful stimulant that mimics adrenaline, often used in fat burners and cold remedies, but it carries severe heart-related risks.

Waxy Maize Starch

Carbs from rice, barley or corn. It’s said to help rapid recovery, but some studies show it has worse digestive properties than white bread.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (Dhea)

This steroid is meant to boost testosterone for lean muscle but can result in acne, cancer, heart attacks and moobs.

it depends on your training outcome. Some of these stuffs are not found in any supplements sold in singapore. Hardly hear people taking vitamin D in singapore because the island is bright and sunny 24/7. Its more important for countries further up where sunlight is limited.

Hey guys, I am taking ON's Amino Energy for pre, Muscle Pharm Recon for Post, and ON's Whey protein powder for breakfast. Is that alright? I just started gymming intensively but as the time goes by i just feel weaker and weaker. Now my left arm cant lift the same weight for the number of reps I started working out with :/

9 hours ago, Zse said:

Hey guys, I am taking ON's Amino Energy for pre, Muscle Pharm Recon for Post, and ON's Whey protein powder for breakfast. Is that alright? I just started gymming intensively but as the time goes by i just feel weaker and weaker. Now my left arm cant lift the same weight for the number of reps I started working out with :/

Don't think it has something to do with the supplements. How's your training regime like and how long have you been training for?

Guest Novice

Hi all, I only take BCAA when I am working out. I have actually tried several brands such as Universal, MusclePharm, BPI Sports and now X-trend. I also add glucose and leucine to my mixture. Recovery seems to have slowed down.. Should I start uping my dosage :/?

12 hours ago, Guest Novice said:

Hi all, I only take BCAA when I am working out. I have actually tried several brands such as Universal, MusclePharm, BPI Sports and now X-trend. I also add glucose and leucine to my mixture. Recovery seems to have slowed down.. Should I start uping my dosage :/?

What do you mean recovery seems to have slowed down? Increasing the dose doesn't necessarily help to prevent the soreness if that is what you are thinking..

On 11 March 2016 at 7:25 PM, xydboy said:

Don't think it has something to do with the supplements. How's your training regime like and how long have you been training for?

Hi xydboy, I gym on Mon, Wed and Fri. Usually focusing on diff muscle groups. Generally the rest somehow can recup for the session. But my left bicep is giving me problem:/

2 hours ago, Zse said:

Hi xydboy, I gym on Mon, Wed and Fri. Usually focusing on diff muscle groups. Generally the rest somehow can recup for the session. But my left bicep is giving me problem:/

I recommend that you get it checked. it could be due to an injury or any other underlying issues. Its beyond the scope of any healthcare practitioner to diagnose and inform you on what is going on. As for the overall weakness, it could be that you have not been consuming enough calories. Do try to up the amount of food in healthy proportions with respect to a balanced diet. If you just started working out, then yes, usually for beginners, it is common to feel the soreness due to the greater amount of damage done to the body as compared to someone who is a veteran. If this persist for longer than 2 to 3 months, then do refer to a doctor to see if there are any related medical conditions pertaining to this consistent fatigue.

Edited by xydboy

Hi xydboy, thanks for the advice. I hope it is really due to a lack of muscle glycogen or calories because I am skipping most of the carbs in my meals and just focusing on proteins. I hope situation will improve when I start taking more carbs. 

4 minutes ago, Zse said:

Hi xydboy, thanks for the advice. I hope it is really due to a lack of muscle glycogen or calories because I am skipping most of the carbs in my meals and just focusing on proteins. I hope situation will improve when I start taking more carbs. 

*ding ding!* No wonder...not very wise to skip most of the carbs, especially if you intend to push yourself a lot during the gym. Skipping carbs will make you really really weak and tired. Have seen lots of cases like this before at the gym. I ask one question, lag time is like 2-3 secs before they replied me. 

I just junked a bunch of protein powder that expired, because I thought I needed everything to be perfect for me to see results. Ended up not going to the gym or using the supplements, which led to them expiring. 

Thinking it would be good to simply focus on my cooking skills and enjoy the process instead of being so anal about it. 

A licensed gay realtor

12 hours ago, Spup88 said:

Hi.. anyone can recommend whether creatine or carnitine is better? In term of building muscle

I would pick neither actually, for building muscle I would choose protein supplementation over these. but if I really have to pick one, the closest would be creatine, because of its contribution to energy provision and would help you to push more at the gym, thus stimulating more muscle protein synthesis. As for carnitine, it's more "famous" for energy metabolism, particularly for lipids.

• 4 weeks later...

just took a quick browse of this thread.

basically i will be starting my internship for the next 3 months and with that i would finally get a proper amount of money in my bank so just for this 3 months i would be willing to go beyond my mass gainer and whey protein supplement diet.

from what i have seen here,

i would try getting the following

1. mass gainer

2. whey protein

3. creatine

4. BCAA

hows that?

currently right now, im trying to source for which brand to buy from fit lion, everything used to be so simple and straightforward for my whey protein as i only used ON. now this stuff is confusing me!

Edited by Clickclock

58c8af435f3b0_bwbanner.jpg.add74f89662a08c064062b974efe1ce7.jpg

I draw sexy men, visit http://www.toastwire.tumblr.com click on 'My Artworks'. Willing to take on comissions

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 11:08 PM, jo.sam said:

Anyone tried Controlled Labs' Purple Wraath? A guy in the gym recommended this to me, I got home and googled it and it seems to have quite a following even though the packaging looks dodgy AF.

image_27326_original_X_450_white.jpg

not easy to get in SG, so far only iherb will have it

On 4/23/2016 at 3:05 AM, lyz93 said:

im looking for supplement for hard gainer as my body type is ecto, also i have bad terms with dairy products (egg, red meat, milk) make pimples and digestion problem. i did my search and look into this product http://www.lushprotein.com/wpc.html any suggestion?

Dude, you just got to plan out your meals, eat big and train hard.

As for the link you posted, I would rather you get ON.

Under your influence, you're the magic in my veins.

Hi guys, thanks so much for the information posted above but as a newbie to the whole gym & nutrition scene, I'm a bit blown away by the choices.

Basically my ideal body shape is one where I (1) lose a bit more fat around the midsection, (2) bulk up slightly, and (3) tone/cut. I.e. I don't want to get too big for the time being, but I also wish to cut down my abdominal fat. Do you know what is a supplement I can take? Thank u

Recently gotten into eating healthier and working out. While I prefer whole foods for most of my nutrients, I do take Omega 3 supplements (Nordic Natural's Ultimate Omega), Whey Protein (ON's Gold Standard 100% Whey) and Creatine (ON's Micronized Creatine Powder).

I do have a question regarding Creatine though. Is there a significant difference between taking it pre-workout vs post-workout? Not sure which is recommended though I personally feel more inclined to take it post-workout (since I have my shake then). Also should one take Creatine only during days of working out or...consume it on a daily basis even on rest days?

It is our choices…that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

4 hours ago, Active1994 said:

Recently gotten into eating healthier and working out. While I prefer whole foods for most of my nutrients, I do take Omega 3 supplements (Nordic Natural's Ultimate Omega), Whey Protein (ON's Gold Standard 100% Whey) and Creatine (ON's Micronized Creatine Powder).

I do have a question regarding Creatine though. Is there a significant difference between taking it pre-workout vs post-workout? Not sure which is recommended though I personally feel more inclined to take it post-workout (since I have my shake then). Also should one take Creatine only during days of working out or...consume it on a daily basis even on rest days?

I usually take creatine with my pre workout and creatine usually have an on and off period to take, i dont really track it so i just take it on the days i go to gym

On 30 April 2016 at 3:11 PM, Active1994 said:

Take it pre-workout on training days and in the morning on non-training days. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 7:15 PM, Estarif said:

I usually take creatine with my pre workout and creatine usually have an on and off period to take, i dont really track it so i just take it on the days i go to gym

5 hours ago, CamperBoy said:

Take it pre-workout on training days and in the morning on non-training days. 

Thanks! Guess I'll take it pre-workout and on a daily basis as well =)

It is our choices…that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

On 4/29/2016 at 2:16 AM, joshTWjosh said:

Hi guys, thanks so much for the information posted above but as a newbie to the whole gym & nutrition scene, I'm a bit blown away by the choices.

Basically my ideal body shape is one where I (1) lose a bit more fat around the midsection, (2) bulk up slightly, and (3) tone/cut. I.e. I don't want to get too big for the time being, but I also wish to cut down my abdominal fat. Do you know what is a supplement I can take? Thank u

You need to workout more first and watch your diet. No supplement can change someone without having the main attributing factor unchanged.

10 hours ago, xydboy said:

You need to workout more first and watch your diet. No supplement can change someone without having the main attributing factor unchanged.

I have indeed been working out and having planned meals/times/rest days/different parts for a couple months already, and have seen my body change. I believe I'm at the stage whereby I can afford to take some supplements or "help" to grow or cut?

20 hours ago, joshTWjosh said:

I have indeed been working out and having planned meals/times/rest days/different parts for a couple months already, and have seen my body change. I believe I'm at the stage whereby I can afford to take some supplements or "help" to grow or cut?

In terms of growing, there are plenty of supps to use such as whey, BCAA, etc. As for cutting, the evidence isn't strong on those that are available in shops. The more "efficient" ones are banned from local stores, and you need to ship them overseas. There are obvious reasons who they are banned..

• 4 weeks later...
On 7 March 2016 at 3:12 PM, CamperBoy said:

Whey, creatine and fish oil. Bcaa for intra workout.

added two more to my stack. 

CLA and ZMA. The latter to help me sleep better. Apparently the more intense your workout gets, the harder it is to sleep. 

• 5 weeks later...
Guest here
On 2 July 2016 at 9:02 AM, heliumduck said:

hahaha, you should have quoted jo.sam not me mr hunk

On 2 July 2016 at 2:02 AM, gayasianboyhunk72 said:

Better not. This is banned and has very bad effect on health. I wanted this a lot, but hesitated. Steer clear! 

Nutritionpark carries this product: http://nutritionpark.com/healthfitness/retrieve-Product.np?model.id=2382

I personally tried it before but it was no big deal. Using cellucor C4 now.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.