Male HQ

Martial Arts

lonely57

I've always been interested in picking up martial arts thanks to all those movies. But I know that its nothing like that and to take it for self defense is also not that relevant nowadays I guess.

So the only reason I can think of is for fitness and health. I'm just not sure which style is suitable for me and where do I go for these lessons?

Look at yourself and observe your character.

If you are the aggressive hot tempered type...start with a softer martial art such as tai chi to balance yourself. And if you are the timid or passive quiet type then look to more stimulating art such as muay thai, karate, BJJ.

I'm actually quite the timid passive type. Very shy too. So I should go for the aggressive ones? I've always liked tai chi but somehow most of the ppl who do it are of age.. Wonder why not many younger guys do it.

Used to practise Chen Style Taiji that involves a balance of aggressive and soft movements. Nowadays, hard to find neighbourhood community avenues offering this particular style. More popular one is like Yang Style. Anyone here practising Chen Style? 

Be cool, like a breeze...

Chen Style Taiji has many forms. There are fist, sword, blade and staff, etc. I have only seen my peers learning blade back then while I was learning fist and sword. Anyone who is into this we could perhaps form a small interest group and learn together. 

I highly recommend to try taikwondo (跆拳道)。

If you are interested in self defence, then i dont tell you this, maybe boxing or judo is better. (Or more, like muai thai or ufc thing)

But i think martial art as sport is a big part in modern society.

Tkd is really nice sport for adults. 1st of all, the chance of get injury in low. Some sport that should grab partner or physically be connected, such as judo or wrestle, has averagely high injury rate. Because its impossible or hard to train alone, and it make some injuries. 

But train tkd alone (not touching other person) is normal if you dont do dual with other person. Even you do it, its easier because its just hit. Not the body joint play. 

2nd, it make you flexible. You can imagine some tkd athletes and they are lean and tall, not super muscular.  Tkd game sometimes is criticized because of its "first-hit-winner" rule, but it concentrate on fast move with flexible skill. You can train and improve your flexibility.

Im sure theres some tkd gym in SG, but there isnt, karate can be a nice alternative. 

(Im tkd instructor. You should think of it lol)

7 hours ago, lonely57 said:

I'm actually quite the timid passive type. Very shy too. So I should go for the aggressive ones? I've always liked tai chi but somehow most of the ppl who do it are of age.. Wonder why not many younger guys do it.

Then you must learn Tai chi to protect yourself from those aggressive ones.  This clip shows how powerful Tai chi can be:

1 hour ago, Kwon said:

I highly recommend to try taikwondo (跆拳道)。

If you are interested in self defence, then i dont tell you this, maybe boxing or judo is better. (Or more, like muai thai or ufc thing)

But i think martial art as sport is a big part in modern society.

Tkd is really nice sport for adults. 1st of all, the chance of get injury in low. Some sport that should grab partner or physically be connected, such as judo or wrestle, has averagely high injury rate. Because its impossible or hard to train alone, and it make some injuries. 

But train tkd alone (not touching other person) is normal if you dont do dual with other person. Even you do it, its easier because its just hit. Not the body joint play. 

2nd, it make you flexible. You can imagine some tkd athletes and they are lean and tall, not super muscular.  Tkd game sometimes is criticized because of its "first-hit-winner" rule, but it concentrate on fast move with flexible skill. You can train and improve your flexibility.

Im sure theres some tkd gym in SG, but there isnt, karate can be a nice alternative. 

(Im tkd instructor. You should think of it lol)

yes agreed. TKD as  I view it, focuses on discipline. Learning the Taegeuk itself is discipline: To perfect every move and to understand the purpose of each move. When I was in secondary school, learnt TKD and 30-45min of every lesson was spent on stretching. Thus, foundation of your body condition is important. Sparring is just one aspect of it. If you are not into sparring, you still can perfect your taeguek. Every martial art has an emphasis and so it's really up to individual. Some martial arts suit certain group of people due to their personality. So just pick one that you are interested and try it out. 

8 hours ago, lonely57 said:

Muay Thai is the one with younger guys (and cute/good-looking!), I find. Have to be trim, supple and yet aggressive...try lessons at Far East Square. Or admire through the glass first ;)

Guest Hot Swimmer

I prefer chinese Wing Chun like Ye Wen (叶问)。When i was in secondary school i actually attended Wing Chun class. Wing Chun is a close body combat skill. I think it is a mix of Tai Ji quan (太级拳) and 擒拿手。I was with 南华派。A martial very useful for self defense like in Sauna. With just a simple harmless hand shake with one hand i can twist my opponent hand to press hard on his weak point and cause him really painful to surrender immediately.

So many arts to choose from I'm spoiled for choice. But then again doesn't mean the style I choose might suit me. 

I'm actually quite shy and scared to start though. I'm not that fit to begin with . .

1 hour ago, lonely57 said:

I'm actually quite shy and scared to start though. I'm not that fit to begin with . .

Well not every one is fit in the beginning, but after all the training 1 will then slowly get fit. As of which to learn is purely depend on which u are interested in.

For example:

for someone who is lacking in maybe height/mass + strength might consider taichi/aikido since they are more technique base instead of strength since they are usually use to counter the enemy instead of attack.

for those who like intensive and powerful strikes might consider taekwondo/ karate/ muay thai since other than technique they also focus on strength control in each strikes.

of coz all material focus on discipline and character building.

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 5:12 AM, Guest said:

Cc in Northeast such as bishan n Hougang n serangoon north rc teaching chen style taiji. Got ppl practising chen style taiji in punggol park too

Seems like everyone is in the east. I'm leaning more towards tai chi or karate. Any Chen style taichi in the west side? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 18 April 2016 at 0:31 PM, lonely57 said:

I've always been interested in picking up martial arts thanks to all those movies. But I know that its nothing like that and to take it for self defense is also not that relevant nowadays I guess.

So the only reason I can think of is for fitness and health. I'm just not sure which style is suitable for me and where do I go for these lessons?

You may consider 八卦掌. It is one of the 3 内家拳(太极拳、八卦掌、形意拳). I've been practising for many years (soft and hard forms) and I see the benefit of combat, performance and health. If you never heard of it before, it's the form of martial art that 章子怡 did in 《一代宗师》(her 64 hands is the soft form).

I started practising Chen, Yang and zen style Taiji during NS days and even did 形意拳, nevertheless, I still stick to 八卦掌 as my main due to its benefit and agility (which grown my interest). I am also coaching 八卦掌, if you're interested, you can pm me.

Edited by The_Bride

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

ok so after procrastinating for so long im really considering taking tai chi up now. just wana ask if those are those sports halls under activesg are good? so far ive sourced out and narrowed down to either these 3... 

http://www.zhutaiji.com/index.php

http://www.chenshi-taijiquan.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&lang=en

https://members.myactivesg.com/programmes/view/program/3086/venue/198

any advice? =x

2 hours ago, lonely57 said:

ok so after procrastinating for so long im really considering taking tai chi up now. just wana ask if those are those sports halls under activesg are good? so far ive sourced out and narrowed down to either these 3... 

http://www.chenshi-taijiquan.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&lang=en

any advice? =x

Just choose the one nearest your home lor. If it's tedious to get to, can be de-motivating...

7 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Just choose the one nearest your home lor. If it's tedious to get to, can be de-motivating...

Thats true. The first 2 is quite far but the second one is near my workplace. Last one quite near where i live. 

On 19/12/2016 at 9:36 PM, lonely57 said:

any advice? =x

Chen style taiji, grandmaster Zhu Tian Cai's disciple should be good. But I suggest you go down to observe at least one session of their lessons and see if their teaching style is what you want before joining. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 4/18/2016 at 2:16 PM, lonely57 said:

Was reading up on tai chi as well and read about Chen style too. Yeah I'd like to know if anyone knows a place to practice it

It is good to know you are interested in practising tai chi.  I wonder if you have started practising.  I am a taichi coach.  I not can line me if interested.  Line: sjmuff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
17 hours ago, frienz86 said:

i did while.  learnt from a teacher then subsequently from youtube.  but stopped for a few years looking to get back again hah

Ah that’s great. Used to practise long ago when I was in Uni. Lost touch with the people after graduation. Hope to get back too. Like this style because of the combination of soft and hard stances. 

• HendryTan changed the title to Martial Arts
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2016 at 11:39 AM, lonely57 said:

So many arts to choose from I'm spoiled for choice. But then again doesn't mean the style I choose might suit me. 

Yes, there are so many martial arts,  and so many contradictory claims made about them!

Don't let the indecision of which one to choose keep you from STARTING with one.  

Those who stick to the discipline of a martial art and get proficient often change to a different kind later on. 

Perhaps to start with one gives a useful experience to be able to choose others.

It is not so important which one is "better",  but  the main consideration is that it is one you will stick with, feel comfortable and enthusiastic about.

I am surprised that no one here has suggested Aikido, the one I have been practicing for five years. 

Aikido is ideal for shy, vulnerable persons who are not particularly attracted to "martial" things.

It is not violent, aggressive, it does not require much strength but some elasticity, it is a SOCIABLE training that helps shy people. 

It is not limited to physical ability to defend, attack, but it also cultivates its own spirituality.  It makes its practitioners better people.

• 2 years later...
On 4/18/2016 at 12:31 PM, lonely57 said:

I coach. Line: sjmuff

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.