Male HQ

Buddhism Discussion

Guest Fan Ren

8 hours ago, Salt&Pepper said:

Let me give you real case study. When Master Da Mo, the founder of Zen Buddhism in China, arrived at Shaolin Temple, he saw that the temple had been constantly robbed and monks beaten up by the gangs in the nearby mountains. He didn't go to the robbers and preach to them that they are wrong or go sit and meditate to do nothing, instead he taught the monks kungfu on how to defend themselves as well as the villagers against the robbers. The robbers since then were unsuccessful in bullying the people and instead captured by the monks. Master Da Mo didn't beat them up or kill them but instead converted them to Buddhism. If I'm not wrong one of the leaders of the gang became a close disciple of Master Da Mo.

So, at the end of the day, even Damo taught the monks to fight back in their own defence after the spat of constant robberies, not to kill, not to maim, but to prevent future robberies.

6 hours ago, Drivendale said:

The concept of 'nothingness' or 'emptiness' to me could be understood within the context of the Theravada teachings of the 3 marks of existence, namely 'dukkha' (unsatisfactoriness), 'anicca' (impermanence), and 'anatta' (no abiding self or soul) , that is, there is no entity that exists forever, unchanging and independent of external conditions. Since worldly beings cannot always get what they want or need, existence is unsatisfactory to worldly beings.  All of us who are unenlightened are worldly beings.  When everything changes depending on changing conditions and are not permanently fixed, then the world is seen as 'empty' of any inherent nature.  We live in a real world not VR, in so far as all our senses prove to us, our joy is real... our sadness is real... 

Lord Buddha teaches us not to be attached to all these things, good or bad, for they are bound to change. Practitioners learn not to wallow in sorrow or dwell in conceit.

Whatever you experience in life is real not VR, but from the Buddhist perspective, this 'realness' has no inherent nature... it is bound to change... hence 'empty'.

they talked about non-attachment to worldly things, impermanence, dukkha etc, but they didn't mention these are empty or nothingness, as far as i remember. Is this linkage your own interpretation? Because i have never heard of them (therevada side) talking about nothingness/emptiness. But the mahayanan side talks a lot about this. That is why they have this chinese saying "colour is emptiness, emptiness is colour".

On 20/10/2016 at 11:16 PM, Guest guest said:

I am buddhist but i do not subscribe to this theory about emptiness or nothingness. I suspect this concept is peculiar to mahayanan buddhists. As far as i know, i have not heard theravada buddhists talking about this concept. They say everything is VR but I couldn't agree with this concept because as far as i am concerned whatever i experience now, whether pleasant or suffering, to me is real and i cannot figure out why is it considered VR

The concept of 'nothingness' or 'emptiness' to me could be understood within the context of the Theravada teachings of the 3 marks of existence, namely 'dukkha' (unsatisfactoriness), 'anicca' (impermanence), and 'anatta' (no abiding self or soul) , that is, there is no entity that exists forever, unchanging and independent of external conditions. Since worldly beings cannot always get what they want or need, existence is unsatisfactory to worldly beings.  All of us who are unenlightened are worldly beings.  When everything changes depending on changing conditions and are not permanently fixed, then the world is seen as 'empty' of any inherent nature.  We live in a real world not VR, in so far as all our senses prove to us, our joy is real... our sadness is real... 

Lord Buddha teaches us not to be attached to all these things, good or bad, for they are bound to change. Practitioners learn not to wallow in sorrow or dwell in conceit.

Whatever you experience in life is real not VR, but from the Buddhist perspective, this 'realness' has no inherent nature... it is bound to change... hence 'empty'.

Not having heard these concepts being expounded in the same terms in the different Buddhist traditions does not mean there is no confluence of the Dharma teachings. To me it is important that as a seeker of Truth, I keep an open, questioning and yet respectful mind and not be biased either direction.

On 23 October 2016 at 11:16 PM, Guest guest said:

they talked about non-attachment to worldly things, impermanence, dukkha etc, but they didn't mention these are empty or nothingness, as far as i remember. Is this linkage your own interpretation? Because i have never heard of them (therevada side) talking about nothingness/emptiness. But the mahayanan side talks a lot about this. That is why they have this chinese saying "colour is emptiness, emptiness is colour".

You experience emptiness when you meditate or when u free your mind from thoughts.

it is an expansive feeling as you are able to grasp the reality where everything and everyone is interconnected.

you will also experience profound bliss and joy. You will not fight or resist, allowing yourself to be carried by the eternal flow of life.

the emptiness is the source of everything. Buddhism names it as emptiness because it is not supposed to be a 'thing', or how other religion personified it as God or a higher entity.

The thing I hate about religion is how some people will obfuscate from the question by giving some obscure answers and pretend to be knowledgeable, when the simplest thing they can say is "I dunno".

10 hours ago, ndbt said:

學佛一年,佛在眼前,學佛兩年,佛在天邊,學佛三年,佛化雲煙。

10 hours ago, fxsims said:

“佛在灵山莫远求,灵山只在汝心头。人人有个灵山塔,好向灵山塔下修。”

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

The thing I hate about religion is how some people will obfuscate from the question by giving some obscure answers and pretend to be knowledgeable, when the simplest thing they can say is "I dunno".

"30 years ago, when I started practicing Zen, Hills were Hills, Water was Water.  Halfway through, Hills were not all Hills, Water was not all Water.  Now, Hills are still Hills, Water is still Water." 

Assuming you are at least 18 years old, you choose whether to recollect your own path of learning experience from family to school, to a combination of both plus society.   And the discretion you have taken to form the foundation of your hatred of religion, or this aspect of it .

"When you know, you know. When you don't know, you don't know.  That's how you know" 

"We learn from History that we have never learned from History", Bernard Shaw.

Just as me replying directly to a post by guest, again.

Well, he who can laugh at himself can never cease to be amused.  

Whether it is southern buddhism (theravada) or northern buddhism (mahayana) or other branches of buddhism, each has its strengths and areas for improvement. What is more important is your actions, words, thoughts, heart, mind. Because these involve causes and effects. There will be no end to debates. Plunge into practice instead of too much ding dong debates. More importantly, balance wisdom and compassion in daily lives. Live in moderation. Some things are obvious, but some things are not easy to verify. What is beneficial, suitable and effective, you practise. What is not meaning or harmful, you note, but don't  have to react. To each his own. 

5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

2 hours ago, wilfgene said:

"30 years ago, when I started practicing Zen, Hills were Hills, Water was Water.  Halfway through, Hills were not all Hills, Water was not all Water.  Now, Hills are still Hills, Water is still Water." 

Assuming you are at least 18 years old, you choose whether to recollect your own path of learning experience from family to school, to a combination of both plus society.   And the discretion you have taken to form the foundation of your hatred of religion, or this aspect of it .

"When you know, you know. When you don't know, you don't know.  That's how you know" 

"We learn from History that we have never learned from History", Bernard Shaw.

Just as me replying directly to a post by guest, again.

Well, he who can laugh at himself can never cease to be amused.  

and wifgene is trying to say what to  Guest Guest leh.....? 

On 10/25/2016 at 4:12 PM, Guest Guest said:

my quote means, people has lost their bodhi mind. just like all this argument, are people seeking enlightenment? remember when we first seek enlightenment or supreme enlightenment? and when now we are arguing who have more wisdom instead of practising it in everyday life? im not sure, but sounds like people are debating, not cultivating. that is hence my quote. if people are practising instead of competing with words, all this argument wouldn't even begin with. thank you for asking anyway. i would be glad to answer why i posted such quotes. of course, if i'm not knowledgeable enough, please guide me. i'm still learning too.

Edited by ndbt

dahsizhiamitabhaguanshiyin

菩萨为什么伟大?

不是因为他们法力无边,
而是因为他们

愿受轮回之苦,
倒驾慈航,
普渡重生。

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

❤ Heart sutra ❤
Avalokiteshvara
while practicing deeply with
the Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore,
suddenly discovered that 
all of the five Skandhas are equally empty,
and with this realisation
he overcame all Ill-being.

“Listen Sariputra,
this Body itself is Emptiness
and Emptiness itself is this Body.
This Body is not other than Emptiness
and Emptiness is not other than this Body.
The same is true of Feelings,
Perceptions, Mental Formations,
and Consciousness.

“Listen Sariputra,
all phenomena bear the mark of Emptiness;
their true nature is the nature of
no Birth no Death,
no Being no Non-being,
no Defilement no Purity,
no Increasing no Decreasing.

“That is why in Emptiness,
Body, Feelings, Perceptions,
Mental Formations and Consciousness
are not separate self entities.

The Eighteen Realms of Phenomena
which are the six Sense Organs,
the six Sense Objects,
and the six Consciousnesses
are also not separate self entities.

The Twelve Links of Interdependent Arising
and their Extinction
Ill-being, the Causes of Ill-being,
the End of Ill-being, the Path,
insight and attainment,

Whoever can see this
no longer needs anything to attain.

Bodhisattvas who practice
the Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore
see no more obstacles in their mind,
and because there
are no more obstacles in their mind,
they can overcome all fear,
destroy all wrong perceptions
and realize Perfect Nirvana.

“All Buddhas in the past, present and future
by practicing
are all capable of attaining
Authentic and Perfect Enlightenment.

“Therefore Sariputra,
it should be known that
is a Great Mantra,
the most illuminating mantra,
the highest mantra,
a mantra beyond compare,
the True Wisdom that has the power
to put an end to all kinds of suffering.
Therefore let us proclaim
a mantra to praise
the Insight that Brings Us to the Other Shore.

Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!
Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!
Gate, Gate, Paragate, Parasamgate, Bodhi Svaha!”

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

http://www.360doc.cn/article/156696_308547724.html

許多人對於羅漢、菩薩、佛陀的意義,不能明確的了解,甚至信佛多年的佛教徒們,也有捉摸不清之感。

佛教的法門,照北傳系統的看法,有大乘與小乘之分,小乘是專修解脫道的,大乘是修菩薩道的。菩薩道是人天道及解脫道的相加,也就是說,解脫生死而仍不離生死,以便隨類化度有緣的眾生者,便是大乘的菩薩道。

解脫道的最高果位是阿羅漢,簡稱羅漢,羅漢是小乘聖人,小乘的最高果位有兩種︰一是聲聞聖者,由於聽聞佛法,從佛的言教而修四諦法(苦、集、滅、道)及三十七菩提分而得解脫道的,那就是羅漢;一是生在無佛之世,自修十二因緣法(無明、行、識、名色、六入、觸、受、愛、取、有、生、老死)而自悟解脫道,自了生死的,那便稱為緣覺或辟支迦佛。聲聞與緣覺,同屬於小乘,小乘分為聲聞乘與緣覺乘,所以又稱小乘為二乘。這二乘是自求了生死,自求入涅槃的,他們絕對厭離人天的生死道,所以不願再來度眾生,不能稱為菩薩,也不能成佛。

如果要成佛,必須要行菩薩道,菩薩道的主要法門是六度法(布施──財施、法施、無怖畏施,持戒──諸惡莫作眾善奉行,忍辱──難忍能忍、難行能行,精進──勇往直前、百折不撓,禪定──心攝一境、不動不搖,智慧──清明朗澈、自照照人),三聚戒(無一淨戒不持,無一善法不修,無一眾生不度)。從最初發最上心──大菩提心、慈悲心、空慧心,經過三大無數劫,便可達到成佛的目的。大乘的菩薩道,只有菩薩所行,不共小乘,所以稱為一乘。

人天道是為生到人間天上而修的善法,小乘道雖不貪戀人天道,也不否定人天道的價值,小乘的解脫道乃是人天善法的昇華超拔,人天善法也是菩薩一乘道的根基。因此人乘及天乘的善法──五戒及十善,乃是二乘與一乘的共通善法,故稱人天善法為五乘(人、天、聲聞、緣覺、菩薩)的共法。

小乘或二乘的解脫道,也是菩薩道的共通法門,菩薩不修解脫道,那便不是菩薩道而僅屬於人天道,所以小乘的解脫道稱為三乘(聲聞、緣覺、菩薩)的共法。

唯有菩薩道,才是大乘或一乘的不共法。

為了便於記憶,現將五乘區別列表如下︰

┌人乘┐

┌凡夫─世間法┤  ├五乘共法─修五戒十善─────┐

│      └天乘┘               │

│                         │

五乘┤       ┌聲聞乘┐       四諦十二因緣│

│  ┌出世間法┤   ├三乘共法─修       ├成佛之道

│  │    └緣覺乘┘       三十七菩提分│

└聖人┤                      │

│                      │

└世出世間法─菩薩乘─一乘不共法─修六度三聚戒┘

從這一表上,我們便可知道菩薩道,雖稱一乘法,但卻是三乘共法與五乘共法的匯歸於一乘;小乘雖稱三乘共法,但卻是五乘共法的昇華;五乘共法雖冠以五乘二字,其實僅是人乘及天乘階段的善法而已。(按以「五乘共法」「三乘共法」「大乘不共法」,統攝一切佛法,開顯由人而成佛的正道,乃是太虛大師的創見。)

人天乘是世間法,依舊是生死法,仍有生死的漏洞而不能航出生死的苦海,所以又稱世間法為有漏法;小乘雖是自了漢,但已是不受生死的出世聖者,故而出世間法又被稱為無漏法。

菩薩,有凡夫有聖人,菩薩共分十信、十住、十行、十迴向、十地、等覺、妙覺的五十加兩個階位,十地以前的四十個階位,全是凡夫,從初地以上的十二個階位,才是聖人,表中所列的菩薩,是指聖位說的,因為佛典中通常稱的菩薩,如不標明地前菩薩,也多是指的地上聖位菩薩。

小乘聖者不求成佛,但求入於涅槃,涅槃的境界,從本質上說,大小乘是一樣的,不過小乘入於涅槃之後便安住於涅槃了,不再度眾生了,大乘的涅槃是雖入涅槃而不即住於涅槃,並以生死也是涅槃的同一體性,所以稱為「生死即涅槃」,所以稱為「無住處涅槃」,這是大乘聖者的境界。

小乘涅槃,是由斷了我執──煩惱障而得,所以小乘的羅漢,若從解脫道的境界上說,相當於大乘的第七地或第八地菩薩。菩薩道的聖者,是由斷了法執──所知障及我執──煩惱障的各一分,而親證真如法性的一分,進入初地階位;從斷煩惱障的程度上說,羅漢同於七地或八地菩薩,從斷所知障的程度上說,羅漢僅相當於菩薩的第七信位。因為,斷煩惱障(我空)即解脫生死,斷所知障(法空)即不離生死,解脫生死即入涅槃,不離生死即度眾生,解脫是慧業,度生是褔業,褔慧雙修是菩薩業,褔慧圓滿便是成佛。因此,若從度生的褔業上說,羅漢僅同於初發心菩薩的第七個階位,距離初地菩薩尚有三十三個階位,在整個成佛之道的全程之中,初地菩薩已經走了三分之一(第一無數劫已滿),八地菩薩已經走了三分之二(第二無數劫已滿),十信菩薩尚在即將進入三大無數劫的預備階段哩!

因此,如果羅漢要想成佛,必須迴小乘向大乘,從第七信位上慢慢修起來。但是羅漢入了涅槃之後,短時間內很難迴小向大,所以修了小乘道,幾乎就跟佛道絕了緣,於是,有的大乘經論,竟將小乘與外道相提並論而大肆貶斥。其實,如照法華經的觀點,真的阿羅漢,必定能夠迴小向大,法華會上的諸大比丘比丘尼,也多是從小乘入大乘的阿羅漢。

迴小向大也有兩種人︰一種是一向修的小乘道,如果再從羅漢位上迴入大乘,便得從大乘的七信位上起修大乘法;一種是曾經修過大乘法,後來退入小乘道的羅漢位後再進大乘道,那就要連帶他們先前修過的大乘位加起來算了,比如舍利弗在往昔生中,已曾修道第七住的大乘位,後來退入小乘,證到羅漢果後再來進入大乘一樣。大致說來,如果先曾修習大乘法,退失之後再入大乘法,一念迴心向上,即可進入初住位,或曾經已有深厚的大乘基礎,退失之後再入大乘,一念迴心,即可證入初地以上的菩薩聖位了。當然,羅漢迴小向大,只是褔業不夠大乘的聖位,他們的慧業──解脫功用,決不會也連帶著退入凡位的。

佛是佛陀的簡稱,佛陀的果位是菩薩道的究竟位,所以也可將佛陀稱為究竟菩薩;佛陀的果位也是解脫道的究竟位,故又可將佛陀稱為究竟阿羅漢,阿羅漢有應受人天供養而作人天褔田的意思,因此,應供也是佛陀的十大德號之一。佛陀是自覺覺他覺滿或無上正遍知覺的意思;菩薩是覺有情──自覺覺他或正遍知覺的意思;小乘的聲聞緣覺,也都有正覺或自覺的意思;人天凡夫便是未得正覺的痴呆漢了!現在且將五乘以其所得菩提(覺)的程度別列表如下︰

┌人天凡夫──不    覺──輪迴生死──有漏界

│小乘聖者──正    覺──自度生死┐

覺的差別─┤                  │

│菩薩聖者──正遍知覺────自度度他├─無漏界

│                  │

└佛  陀──無上正遍知覺──功德圓滿┘

另有一點,在中國傳說中有關羅漢的生活形態,必須加以澄清。中國的佛教徒們,由於發現中國的佛教史上,曾有寒山、拾得、豊干、布袋和尚等的傀異奇特;南泉斬貓、歸宗斷蛇等的大用現前;或有弄船江上,或有吊影崖島,或有混跡巿廛,或有張弓舞叉,或有學女人而戲拜,或有取肥肉而大嚼──禪宗的不存規則的超佛越祖的作風。因此而往往把懶惰骯髒不修邊幅不守律儀的出家人,稱為羅漢型,視為羅漢化現,中國的佛教繪畫及雕塑中,也就把羅漢的聖像,表現得儀態乖張,衣履不整,或者是暴牙裂嘴,面目可憎。(注一六)

事實上,我們從小乘經律中所見到的羅漢生活,乃是最重律儀的,祇有六群比丘(僧中的搗蛋鬼),才會像中國傳說中的羅漢那樣。這種歪曲觀念如不糾正,實在是對羅漢的大侮辱。

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Fundamentally no wisdom-tree exists; 
Nor the stand of a mirror bright. 
Since all is empty from the beginning; 
Where can the dust alight.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

On 11/2/2016 at 11:53 PM, Gary Changg said:

大家来参考这一句话:“我是谁?”

23 hours ago, wilfgene said:

How about "What am I?"

17 hours ago, Gary Changg said:

So, do you know the answer? 

15 hours ago, teatree said:

"Who am I" and "What am I" are obviously two different question.  The second sound more profound.   

14 hours ago, Gary Changg said:

[不一样] 与 [一样] 还是 [一]。 

[我是谁] 与 [我是什么] 还是 [一]。

That's for me to know, and you to tell if I feel it.

http://www.lionsroar.com/dont-give-up/?utm_content=bufferf046a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Lojong: How to Awaken Your Heart

BY PEMA CHÖDRÖNAUGUST 17, 2016

Atisha.

Atisha with 84 Mahasiddha, via Wikimedia.

Pema Chödrön’s commentary on Atisha’s famed mind-training slogans that utilize our difficulties and problems to awaken the heart.

When I first read the lojong (“mind training”) teachings in The Great Path of Awakening by the nineteenth-century Tibetan teacher Jamgön Kongtrül the Great, I was struck by their unusual message that we can use our difficulties and problems to awaken our hearts. Rather than seeing the unwanted aspects of life as obstacles, Jamgön Kongtrül presented them as the raw material necessary for awakening genuine uncontrived compassion. Whereas in Kongtrül’s commentary the emphasis is primarily on taking on the suffering of others, it is apparent that in this present age it is necessary to also emphasize that the first step is to develop compassion for our own wounds.

It is unconditional compassion for ourselves that leads naturally to unconditional compassion for others. If we are willing to stand fully in our own shoes and never give up on ourselves, then we will be able to put ourselves in the shoes of others and never give up on them. True compassion does not come from wanting to help out those less fortunate than ourselves but from realizing our kinship with all beings.

The lojong teachings are organized around seven points that contain fifty-nine pithy slogans that remind us how to awaken our hearts. Presented here are nineteen of those slogans:

First, train in the preliminaries.

The preliminaries are also known as the four reminders. In your daily life, try to:

1. 1. Maintain an awareness of the preciousness of human life.
  1. 2. Be aware of the reality that life ends; death comes for everyone.
  1. 3. Recall that whatever you do, whether virtuous or not, has a result; what goes around comes around.
  1. 4. Contemplate that as long as you are too focused on self-importance and too caught up in thinking about how you are good or bad, you will suffer. Obsessing about getting what you want and avoiding what you don’t want does not result in happiness.

Regard all dharmas as dreams.

Whatever you experience in your life—pain, pleasure, heat, cold or anything else—is like something happening in a dream. Although you might think things are very solid, they are like passing memory. You can experience this open, unfixated quality in sitting meditation; all that arises in your mind—hate love and all the rest—is not solid. Although the experience can get extremely vivid, it is just a product of your mind. Nothing solid is really happening.

Sending and taking should be practiced alternately. These two should ride the breath.

This is instruction for a meditation practice called tonglen. In this practice you send out happiness to others and you take in any suffering that others feel. You take in with a sense of openness and compassion and you send out in the same spirit. People need help and with this practice we extend ourselves to them.

Drive all blames into one.

This is advice on how to work with your fellow beings. Everyone is looking for someone to blame and therefore aggression and neurosis keep expanding. Instead, pause and look at what’s happening with you. When you hold on so tightly to your view of what they did, you get hooked. Your own self-righteousness causes you to get all worked up and to suffer. So work on cooling that reactivity rather than escalating it. This approach reduces suffering—yours and everyone else’s.

Be grateful to everyone.

Others will always show you exactly where you are stuck. They say or do something and you automatically get hooked into a familiar way of reacting—shutting down, speeding up or getting all worked up. When you react in the habitual way, with anger, greed and so forth, it gives you a chance to see your patterns and work with them honestly and compassionately. Without others provoking you, you remain ignorant of your painful habits and cannot train in transforming them into the path of awakening.

All dharma agrees at one point.

The entire Buddhist teachings (dharma) are about lessening one’s self-absorption, one’s ego-clinging. This is what brings happiness to you and all beings.

Of the two witnesses, hold the principal one.

The two witnesses of what you do are others and yourself. Of these two, you are the only one who really knows exactly what is going on. So work with seeing yourself with compassion but without any self-deception.

Always maintain only a joyful mind.

Constantly apply cheerfulness, if for no other reason than because you are on this spiritual path. Have a sense of gratitude to everything, even difficult emotions, because of their potential to wake you up.

Abandon any hope of fruition

The key instruction is to stay in the present. Don’t get caught up in hopes of what you’ll achieve and how good your situation will be some day in the future. What you do right now is what matters.

Don’t be so predictable.

Do not hold a grudge against those who have done you wrong.

Don’t malign others.

You speak badly of others, thinking it will make you feel superior. This only sows seeds of meanness in your heart, causing others not to trust you and causing you to suffer.

Don’t bring things to a painful point.

Don’t humiliate people.

Don’t act with a twist.

Acting with a twist means having an ulterior motive of benefiting yourself. It’s the sneaky approach. For instance, in order to get what you want for yourself, you may temporarily take the blame for something or help someone out.

All activities should be done with one intention.

Whatever you are doing, take the attitude of wanting it directly or indirectly to benefit others. Take the attitude of wanting it to increase your experience of kinship with your fellow beings.

Whichever of the two occurs, be patient.

Whatever happens in your life, joyful or painful, do not be swept away by reactivity. Be patient with yourself and don’t lose your sense of perspective.

Train in the three difficulties.

The three difficulties (or, the three difficult practices) are to recognize your neurosis as neurosis,not to do the habitual thing, but to do something different to interrupt the neurotic habit, and to make this practice a way of life.

Don’t misinterpret.

There are six teachings that you might misinterpret: patience, yearning, excitement, compassion, priorities and joy. The misinterpretations are:

1. 1. You’re patient when it means you’ll get your way but not when your practice brings up challenges.
  1. 2. You yearn for worldly things but not for an open heart and mind.
  1. 3. You get excited about wealth and entertainment but not about your potential for enlightenment.
  1. 4. You have compassion for those you like and admire but not for those you don’t.
  1. 5. Worldly gain is your priority rather than cultivating loving-kindness and compassion.
  1. 6. You feel joy when your enemies suffer, but you do not rejoice in others’ good fortune.

Don’t vacillate

If you train in awakening compassion only some of the time, it will slow down the process of giving birth to certainty. Wholeheartedly train in keeping your heart and mind open to everyone.

Train wholeheartedly.

Train enthusiastically in strengthening your natural capacity for compassion and loving-kindness.

Some nice posts here. Let me contribute something too. Read this humorous Buddhism fiction some time back. It's called "Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All". It can be found in our libraries. Personally I like this type of books as it approaches Buddhism in a light way yet effectively delivers the message. Anybody has similarly humourous Buddhism books to recommend?

I feel more lonely during Oscar season than V Day...

9 hours ago, stdevil said:

Some nice posts here. Let me contribute something too. Read this humorous Buddhism fiction some time back. It's called "Buddha or Bust: In Search of Truth, Meaning, Happiness, and the Man Who Found Them All". It can be found in our libraries. Personally I like this type of books as it approaches Buddhism in a light way yet effectively delivers the message. Anybody has similarly humourous Buddhism books to recommend?

Not exactly the same thing but this was pretty popular some years back. It doesn't really make you laugh but when u get some of the meaning, it will make you smile.

http://www.1kkk.com/other71719/#ipg1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, Guest Guest said:

Drive all blames into one.

This is advice on how to work with your fellow beings. Everyone is looking for someone to blame and therefore aggression and neurosis keep expanding. Instead, pause and look at what’s happening with you. When you hold on so tightly to your view of what they did, you get hooked. Your own self-righteousness causes you to get all worked up and to suffer. So work on cooling that reactivity rather than escalating it. This approach reduces suffering—yours and everyone else’s.

Be grateful to everyone.

Others will always show you exactly where you are stuck. They say or do something and you automatically get hooked into a familiar way of reacting—shutting down, speeding up or getting all worked up. When you react in the habitual way, with anger, greed and so forth, it gives you a chance to see your patterns and work with them honestly and compassionately. Without others provoking you, you remain ignorant of your painful habits and cannot train in transforming them into the path of awakening....

Don’t be so predictable.

Do not hold a grudge against those who have done you wrong.

Don’t malign others.

You speak badly of others, thinking it will make you feel superior. This only sows seeds of meanness in your heart, causing others not to trust you and causing you to suffer.

This is why I do not believe wholeheartedly in Buddhism ....They expect us to be such goody-two-shoes even when others (non-Buddhists) breach the teaching (and more) below on us....

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, Guest Guest said:

Don’t humiliate people.

Don’t act with a twist.

Acting with a twist means having an ulterior motive of benefiting yourself. It’s the sneaky approach. For instance, in order to get what you want for yourself, you may temporarily take the blame for something or help someone out.

All activities should be done with one intention.

Whatever you are doing, take the attitude of wanting it directly or indirectly to benefit others. Take the attitude of wanting it to increase your experience of kinship with your fellow beings.

11 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

This is why I do not believe wholeheartedly in Buddhism ....They expect us to be such goody-two-shoes even when others (non-Buddhists) breach the teaching (and more) below on us....

Thats cos your affinity with The Dharma has not matured yet.

Do more good deeds.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

2 hours ago, Salt&Pepper said:

Not exactly the same thing but this was pretty popular some years back. It doesn't really make you laugh but when u get some of the meaning, it will make you smile.

http://www.1kkk.com/other71719/#ipg1

Thanks! My anti-virus blocked some threats when i clicked on the link you gave above but at least I got to see the book name! was looking around for inspiring chinese books too. Will keep a look out for this one!

I feel more lonely during Oscar season than V Day...

5 hours ago, fab said:

Thats cos your affinity with The Dharma has not matured yet.

Do more good deeds.

That's just so typical of an evasive answer, almost sounds like the Christian's excuse of "God's ways are not our ways".

5 hours ago, stdevil said:

Thanks! My anti-virus blocked some threats when i clicked on the link you gave above but at least I got to see the book name! was looking around for inspiring chinese books too. Will keep a look out for this one!

Oops....paiseh...I just google and get the 1st link that offers the free view of the book.

For the benefit of others, can read just the cartoon from this QQ site (should be safe)

http://ac.qq.com/Comic/comicInfo/id/458812

The author is 蔡志忠 and the cartoon series is 禅说.

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

That's just so typical of an evasive answer, almost sounds like the Christian's excuse of "God's ways are not our ways".

So what reply do u want? That The Dharma is wrong n u r right?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

31 minutes ago, fab said:

So what reply do u want? That The Dharma is wrong n u r right?

:doh:

On 11/7/2016 at 2:44 PM, Guest Guest said:

Don’t malign others.

Don’t humiliate people.

The dharma or faith is akin to seeds which is in everyone, while some blossom earlier some will be later bloomer. Many a times when I spoke to friends of same/different faith believers they all agree on that. After watching Dr Strange the movie this morning, I find it is so apt. Many of us who have gone through seeing beyond the hole of door lock when relating to friends around us who are still peeping through is not able to apprehend. Or as in the Diamond Sutra, if the person is looking through a filtered len spectacle, he will see the world in shade. No matter how you tried to describe the vibrant color that you see without wearing the spectacle he will not believe it. So maybe the accumulated merit is not enough or time is not yet up.

Anyway Dr Strange is a great movie for the faith followers, there are many dharma that we can learn from there :)

2 hours ago, fxsims said:

The dharma or faith is akin to seeds which is in everyone, while some blossom earlier some will be later bloomer. Many a times when I spoke to friends of same/different faith believers they all agree on that. After watching Dr Strange the movie this morning, I find it is so apt. Many of us who have gone through seeing beyond the hole of door lock when relating to friends around us who are still peeping through is not able to apprehend. Or as in the Diamond Sutra, if the person is looking through a filtered len spectacle, he will see the world in shade. No matter how you tried to describe the vibrant color that you see without wearing the spectacle he will not believe it. So maybe the accumulated merit is not enough or time is not yet up.

Anyway Dr Strange is a great movie for the faith followers, there are many dharma that we can learn from there :)

Dr.Strange is indeed one good movie. I can somehow relate it to Kalachakra 

On 26/10/2016 at 0:30 PM, Guest James said:

Whether it is southern buddhism (theravada) or northern buddhism (mahayana) or other branches of buddhism, each has its strengths and areas for improvement. What is more important is your actions, words, thoughts, heart, mind. Because these involve causes and effects. There will be no end to debates. Plunge into practice instead of too much ding dong debates. More importantly, balance wisdom and compassion in daily lives. Live in moderation. Some things are obvious, but some things are not easy to verify. What is beneficial, suitable and effective, you practise. What is not meaning or harmful, you note, but don't  have to react. To each his own. 

Well said, the reason as to why there are so many different branches of Buddhism (I'm of the Vajrayana, Sakya lineage) is also because different branches caters to different mentality and thinking. In the olden days the different schools would always have a huge festival to debate on their views constructively. 

Ultimately, all forms of (true) Buddhism exist to enable all sentient beings to reach enlightenment and escape from the grasp of sufferings.

18 hours ago, fxsims said:

Dr Strange do mentioned albeit discreetly on the various teachings, which is why I am so in love with that movie. Not to mention my favorite actor Benedict Cumberbatch subscribes to Buddhist philosophy and has expressed affinity for meditation and mindfulness.

Guest save yourself

Like many other belief systems, the world has distorted the original teachings of the Buddha into manifold delusions. Many practices and concepts are hugely supported because it catered to the cravings of sentient beings who want their cake and eat it, for lack of a better description. 

However, if one constantly reads through the Dharma expounded by genuine practitioners, there is always an underlying thread of cogency and the various parts will actually fit together to form a framework for a better understanding of Buddhism,  which accurately resounds with his whole philosophy and ideology. True to the teachings, they can only be experienced and realised for oneself. Teachers, including the Budhha himself can only guide. 

What is worrying now is that many are falling into Mara's traps and fool themselves into thinking they are engaging in spiritual advancement when in fact they are drifting further and further away

Just like what was witnessed recently, a chief chanter,  no doubt versed in the many Mahayana sutras was also screaming into songs of his favourite but dead artiste once out of the pilgrimage group. The same group also consisted of many who engaged in wrongful rites and rituals, unknowingly and contrary to the real teaching.  

Guest Guest  as I see
21 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

:doh:

On Monday, November 07, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Guest Guest said:

Don’t act with a twist.

21 hours ago, fxsims said:

Actually, if you read the original Dr Strange comics, you'll see that the past authors anyhow whack one. So I do think the writer and director of the Dr Strange movie did some proper research ground work and more cautious in presenting the Buddhism influence in the movie. However, I'm a bit hesitant to say the faith followers can learn many dharma from the movie. Spark interest to learn more about Buddhism, maybe. But I do confess I enjoyed the movie very much!

Speaking of which, what are the movies you watched in the past that you feel that they have Buddhism influence and very good? When I watched movies like The Matrix and Lucy, I got the feeling that the writers must had done some research into Buddhism.

5 minutes ago, Salt&Pepper said:

Actually, if you read the original Dr Strange comics, you'll see that the past authors anyhow whack one. So I do think the writer and director of the Dr Strange movie did some proper research ground work and more cautious in presenting the Buddhism influence in the movie. However, I'm a bit hesitant to say the faith followers can learn many dharma from the movie. Spark interest to learn more about Buddhism, maybe. But I do confess I enjoyed the movie very much!

Speaking of which, what are the movies you watched in the past that you feel that they have Buddhism influence and very good? When I watched movies like The Matrix and Lucy, I got the feeling that the writers must had done some research into Buddhism.

Just a curious bit of info; the actor for Dr Strange, Benedict Cumberbatch, is a Buddhist! 

Instagram: vodkabaker

3 hours ago, Salt&Pepper said:

I didn't read the original Dr Strange comic, but I think the writer and director properly did some proper research. I read about them using a female Caucasian as the ancient one so as to desensitize cultural sensitively such that it can be shown in China and elsewhere.

Yup you right maybe spare more interest. Or viewing from layman term there are also a few lessons of thoughts that can be learnt as well :) 

1 hour ago, fxsims said:

Or viewing from layman term there are also a few lessons of thoughts that can be learnt as well :) 

:D Definitely!

1. Dun be an ass even when you are really good at what you do

2. Dun try to read a document when u are driving esp when it's a muscle car and driving beside a cliff

3. Dun be an ass to someone who is trying to love and care for u when u hit rock bottom

4. Dun wear a luxury watch walking on the streets of Nepal looking like u cannot defend urself

5. Dun assume the oldest person in the room is the wisest one

6. Dun think ur jokes are funny to everyone

Heheehheee......

Edited by Salt&Pepper

Guest PorkyMonster

Just a thought - as we sleep, in our dreams, were we aware that we were dreaming?

If we weren't aware, then what makes us believe (strongly, in fact) that the world we're in, while "awake", is real?

14 minutes ago, Guest PorkyMonster said:

Just a thought - as we sleep, in our dreams, were we aware that we were dreaming?

If we weren't aware, then what makes us believe (strongly, in fact) that the world we're in, while "awake", is real?

一切有为法,如梦幻泡影。如露亦如电,应作如是观

Guest PorkyMonster
47 minutes ago, Gary Changg said:

一切有为法,如梦幻泡影。如露亦如电,应作如是观

Indeed... and such notion/belief/realisation often gave rise to my "I am alone" thoughts... do you feel this way as well?

3 hours ago, Guest PorkyMonster said:

Indeed... and such notion/belief/realisation often gave rise to my "I am alone" thoughts... do you feel this way as well?

No, i don't feel it that way. 
佛陀2500年前涅磐;2500年后 [佛] 存在

什么是[佛]?[佛] 在哪里? 

想一想,你的想法就不同了。

• G_M changed the title to Buddhism Discussion
  • Guest locked this topic
  • Bern unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.