Male HQ

Buddhism Discussion

Guest Fan Ren

56 minutes ago, Guest Wmda said:

Discussions about Religion is quite pointless and goes no where.

ITS basically talking and building castles in the air and building a tower on shifty sands.

BUDDHA did say if you do not believe in every word of his teaching and doubt the veracity of the teachings, you are all going the buddhist hell of 18 realms.

GO figure.

I normally don't bother with guest but do read "Kalama Sutta" before you make remarks abt Buddha.

He doesn't need you to believe his words because you reap what you sow, he does not lose or gain anything from you.

2 hours ago, Guest Wmda said:

Discussions about Religion is quite pointless and goes no where.

ITS basically talking and building castles in the air and building a tower on shifty sands.

BUDDHA did say if you do not believe in every word of his teaching and doubt the veracity of the teachings, you are all going the buddhist hell of 18 realms.

GO figure.

Your 3rd paragraph is something new.

What I read was Buddha actually told his disciples not to worship him n blindly follow his teachings. If there's anything they disagree, they should not follow.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

7 hours ago, Ironrod said:

Reading the above sadden me because if you have read the original sutra, the story depicted is as close as it can get. This is just the 1st chapter of Surangama Sutra and if you can't get the essence then nothing I say will awaken you.

-------

Without understanding the True Mind, we always uses the illusionary mind to judge and purse and treating the purpose as a true purpose. This first Chapter of the sutra alone teaches one how to have the right frame of mind to be a practitioner.

One may know the 4 noble truth, cause and effect and other great theories but if one doesn't know how to practice, one is just merely a scholar. Where does pracitices starts though?

Using your - True Mind.

One needs this two-hour video, the chanting, the costumes etc. to have a right mind to practice spirituality?  Why can't one be spiritual without such a sutra?

"True Mind" sounds like many other buzz words, like "Faith" for example.  Millions of Christians believe that to attain salvation one needs faith in Jesus Christ, accepting him in one's heart,   and not so much any good deeds one can make.  It's hard to believe that Faith is a virtue that makes one so deserving...

15 hours ago, tomcat said:

It is also a very very good example of when something Formless (like Consciousness, God Intelligence, Enlightenment) is given a form to communicate or visually encapsulate its meaning. It is a kind of a puzzle or inside joke the Universe plays because the more you try to give Form to something that is Formless, the further you will get from accurately conveying what it is. the harder you try, the more distorted it becomes.

this programme is a modern example. but basically, holy books and scriptures also suffer the same fate, in that the written word and embellishments become either a cage or a distorted aspect of Truth. the various Bibles, Torah, Quran, various Buddhist scriptures, Sahib scriptures are all used today as commandments, but they are just distortions.

see how dangerous things get when you push Reality back just a smidgeon. it can crumble faiths and lives, but sometimes it is necessary to break through the illusions. this is fundamentally Buddhist teaching in action. 

It is easy to see how dumb it is to give adoration to inanimate objects,  just clusters of inorganic matter.  This is called "idolatry".

In the spiritual realm, there should be something equivalent in giving adoration to some written words. Maybe a "spiritual idolatry"?

Like adoration to the ten commandments, to the Four Noble Truths, to the Eight Noble Paths, and any other enumerated lists. 

It seems that Buddha never wrote anything.  Same with Jesus Christ.  Perhaps the same is the case with Confucius.   Religions/philosophies are the result of individuals like you and me who were inspired with transcendental positive ideas.  Someone wrote down these ideas in a way that captured their meaning,  but this was never an exact science.  Once the sage, the master, the prophet died it was impossible to clarify further his ideas, and much of what we have left are subjective samples of them. 

Edited by Steve5380

On 10/31/2018 at 2:34 AM, Ironrod said:

Would like to share this with all brothers and sisters, hope all is able to benefit from the wisdom of Buddha. Do note, this is only chapter 1 of Surangama Sutra. If you are interested in Buddhism, this should be the first sutra to understand. May all of you be well and happy.

Why is Surangama Sutra important in Buddhism ?

Don't read and response to guests' post

• G_M changed the title to Buddhist Discussion
14 hours ago, drekt said:

the final teaching, all is empty. some say that empty does not mean nothing. so i ask, empty is confine by a space. eg, empty room.

so the size of the room is what that determine the empty right? so, the next question, how big is your room of thought?

Why do you need to be confined by the size of your thought?

1 hour ago, Guest abc said:

Why do you need to be confined by the size of your thought?

And what is the "size" of our thought?  A physical volume, its intensity, its complexity?

Would Buddha agree that this empty speculation is worth exploring?

6 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

And what is the "size" of our thought?  A physical volume, its intensity, its complexity?

Would Buddha agree that this empty speculation is worth exploring?

maybe all things has it's own path, sometimes we thought too much in trying to change ourselves and to change them. everything starts from a emptiness.

May I know why Tibetan Buddhism is getting popular here instead of the traditional China Buddhism?

I feel more connected w images based on China type instead of the Tibetan types...

On 11/1/2018 at 10:39 AM, drekt said:

the final teaching, all is empty. some say that empty does not mean nothing. so i ask, empty is confine by a space. eg, empty room.

so the size of the room is what that determine the empty right? so, the next question, how big is your room of thought?

佛教裡面談到「空」是最多。理论上,「空」跟「有」是不二的。

在「心經」裡面提到「色不異空。空不異色。色即是空。空即是色。」這是講什麼?這是講「空有不二」。

举例:太陽光是從太陽那裡來的,太陽是「有」,太陽光是「空」。花香是從花那裡來的,花是「有」,花香是「空」。今天你把太陽拿掉,哪裡有太陽光?你要有太陽光,一定要有太陽。

如你所說:空是限制在一個空間,如空房。房是「有」,空间是「空」。
你问:你的思想空間有多大。
我答:無我想。無我觀。觀空。

物質的現象,完全從「空」裡面所產生出來的。但是沒有這個物質的現象,也沒有辦法顯出它的「空」性,這是修行的道理。

修行是在「空」跟「有」之間——[中觀正見]

1 hour ago, Guest guest said:

buddhism as a religion is pointless, there is no guarantee and certainty, 

but buddhist mind control do produce results, mind control reduces stress.

Very true.  Buddhism is a positive philosophy that is helpful to everyone in everyday's life.

Other beliefs are full religions that are based on pure speculations allegedly justified by old stories that sound like fairy tales.

4 hours ago, Guest guest said:

buddhism as a religion is pointless, there is no guarantee and certainty, 

but buddhist mind control do produce results, mind control reduces stress.

Control produces stress.  And I don't think Buddhism teaches mind control.  Your anxiety level would increase once you try to control your mind.  I recommend you speak with your teacher.  

2 hours ago, Guest abc said:

Control produces stress.  And I don't think Buddhism teaches mind control.  Your anxiety level would increase once you try to control your mind.  I recommend you speak with your teacher.  

Which teacher you have in mind?  Because self mind control is universally accepted as something positive.

Isn't meditation a control of the mind?  Controlling it to reduce its constant motions? To reduce stress?

9 hours ago, gabbyisbot said:

举例:太陽光是從太陽那裡來的,太陽是「有」,太陽光是「空」。花香是從花那裡來的,花是「有」,花香是「空」。今天你把太陽拿掉,哪裡有太陽光?你要有太陽光,一定要有太陽。

修行是在「空」跟「有」之間——[中觀正見]

您的觀點類似道中二移,但是我認為應該是無形。

10 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Which teacher you have in mind?  Because self mind control is universally accepted as something positive.

Isn't meditation a control of the mind?  Controlling it to reduce its constant motions? To reduce stress?

Meditation is not controlling your mind.  When one speaks of control, it implies your ego is at play.  Meditation begins after your mind is settled, open & relax.

Meditation is not to get your thoughts out of the way.  One can leverage on the constant thoughts to deepen his/her meditation.

2 hours ago, Guest abc said:

Meditation is not controlling your mind.  When one speaks of control, it implies your ego is at play. 

Do we have the same definition of "control"?

It might be ego to control other people or other things.

But self control is an essential power we need to have to live well.

12 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Do we have the same definition of "control"?

It might be ego to control other people or other things.

But self control is an essential power we need to have to live well.

I guess we might have different definition of "control". 

To me, self-control does not equipped you to live well.  Being conscious & willing to take responsibilities lead to a more fulfilling life.

In meditation, it is futile to try to control one's mind so to have lesser thoughts or to achieve other ends.  

19 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Very true.  Buddhism is a positive philosophy that is helpful to everyone in everyday's life.

Other beliefs are full religions that are based on pure speculations allegedly justified by old stories that sound like fairy tales.

Yes, Buddhism is no religion.

It doesn't promote worshipping or blind faith. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

损失财物只是暂时的痛苦,损坏了名声则是一生的痛苦,损害了因果将是生生世世的痛苦。如果生起邪见,不承认因果,这就是对因果方面作了损害,如此结果在生生世世中都将损害自己的安乐。所以即使你无有任何财富也没关系,没有丝毫名声也可以,但你千万不要失坏了自己的正知正见。相信因果的正见千万不能摧坏,否则这就是你生生世世中的损失,对此我们应该小心谨慎如履薄冰。
~ 法王如意宝晋美彭措《窍诀宝藏海·如何作人》

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

5 hours ago, drekt said:

若是知道西方極樂都住了什麼人。我想我還是別去了。

This statement sounds like a perspective coming from a young person.  I would be curious to know what sort of choice you would make if you are right now on your death bed. 

5 minutes ago, drekt said:

Because all material things are problems for living people. After the death, nothing happened. So what is bliss? What is the golden flower and the strange flower, it is just the hope of living people.

What is the empty space of Buddhism? Is it to dominate the sorrow with the Tao?

Unfortunately, in our existence we have material needs.  So we cannot disregard material things. 

We should diligently satisfy our material needs (shelter, food, care, education,... entertainment).  

Only after we have all this, more material things should become superfluous.

I don't envy the poor monks who live from charity.

Their need for charity makes them also some burden to society.

my comment is not correctly translated. all material things are the issues of the living, all dead do not need that. all the glamour and exotic is just what we living pursuit. what was the emptiness mention by buddha? is it to join the great force of tao to foresee the development of all? 

15 minutes ago, drekt said:

my comment is not correctly translated. all material things are the issues of the living, all dead do not need that. all the glamour and exotic is just what we living pursuit. what was the emptiness mention by buddha? is it to join the great force of tao to foresee the development of all? 

Translators of Chinese to English are notoriously bad.   It is a pity that one has to use them.

In Singapore, the one common, main official language is English.

What is the need to write posts in other languages?

I speak a couple of other languages that are not common in Singapore,

but I would not think of using them

out of consideration to the people who would not understand them.

3 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Translators of Chinese to English are notoriously bad.   It is a pity that one has to use them.

In Singapore, the one common, main official language is English.

What is the need to write posts in other languages?

I speak a couple of other languages that are not common in Singapore,

but I would not think of using them

out of consideration to the people who would not understand them.

that is because i do not need to think of the right word to use from what i learn in chinese.

I once ask a Buddhist what are the meaning of the chanting. the answer i got is that it was about description of heaven. eg. the walls are made of gold and laid with precious stone.

not to offend him, i walked away. but i ask myself. if all the precious metal and stone could be created easily by them. there is no need for them to decor their heaven with it.

then when we all use flowers, joss sticks, fruits and food as offering. all these were gifts from them too. they do not need these. we could repay them by just doing good (sensibly) and not waste food.

some monk release turtle in to lake and tortoises into sea. they should have learn that everything has its place. chanting does not do good, it only remind one to do so.

if you asked me, a lot of monk talked a lot about vegetarian and saving lives. but in realities. they just talk and talk. The only religion practitioner I think is worth the respect of all human kind in recent history is Mother Teresa. She did not just do talking, she did not advise people to buy offerings. she just do good. yes, there are negative issue impose on her. but i still think she did more than a lot. 

not to offend people. I am not a christian. this is just my opinion. we are here to discuss. I hope we have good Buddhist who discuss controversies, not just to end up with calling names and insults.

Guest Ibelieve
6 minutes ago, drekt said:

I once ask a Buddhist what are the meaning of the chanting. the answer i got is that it was about description of heaven. eg. the walls are made of gold and laid with precious stone.

not to offend him, i walked away. but i ask myself. if all the precious metal and stone could be created easily by them. there is no need for them to decor their heaven with it.

then when we all use flowers, joss sticks, fruits and food as offering. all these were gifts from them too. they do not need these. we could repay them by just doing good (sensibly) and not waste food.

some monk release turtle in to lake and tortoises into sea. they should have learn that everything has its place. chanting does not do good, it only remind one to do so.

if you asked me, a lot of monk talked a lot about vegetarian and saving lives. but in realities. they just talk and talk. The only religion practitioner I think is worth the respect of all human kind in recent history is Mother Teresa. She did not just do talking, she did not advise people to buy offerings. she just do good. yes, there are negative issue impose on her. but i still think she did more than a lot. 

not to offend people. I am not a christian. this is just my opinion. we are here to discuss. I hope we have good Buddhist who discuss controversies, not just to end up with calling names and insults.

Its OK, please stick to your believe; just let others believe what they believe. No need to argue for salvation of all mankind. Mutual respect is what we need.   At the end of our time, we will have the answer. 

Buddha himself wasn't a vegetarian. Buddha is always open to questions even if it challenges his teachings.

How did the concept of vegetarian evolve from the original teachings? also buddha has curly long hair unlike the image we are too familiar with.

I believe many monks has distorted the teachings of buddhism to fulfill their greed over wealth and power.

Buddhism is so distorted today that some teachings become irrelevant. We are omnivore, we were built to be one by the one up there. Some Buddhist would compare us with other living organism. This is stupid. all living thing is different and has it's part to play. ticks can survive 18 years on 1 meal. any sensible idiot do not attempt that.

Why justify the  distorted teachings just because you wants it to remain correct? most viruses and bacteria is now proven to be living thing. so shall we not kill them and let buddhist who are infected by them die?

buddha said emptiness shall supersede all his previous teaching just before he left. then it left everyone making up things from his teachings and distort about the emptiness or nothingness. 

come on, why don't we just take it as emptiness and nothingness like the great one as said? why bring something out of nothing? BTW KwanImm is the splitting laskimi, some hindu monk brings her into buddhism. when buddhism spread to china. there are so many unanswered questions and causes doubt. the emperor order that 4 disciple of taoism deity (disciple of supreme one) to be transfer to buddhism, one of them is KwanImm.

so, distortion is nothing new in buddhism. 

1 hour ago, Guest Ibelieve said:

Its OK, please stick to your believe; just let others believe what they believe. No need to argue for salvation of all mankind. Mutual respect is what we need.   At the end of our time, we will have the answer. 

What you mean by that?  Nothing we write here will keep others from believing what they believe.

A forum is meant for discussion. Why should religion deserve more "mutual respect" than any other topic?

I challenge what you say that at the end of our time we will have the answer.

You have not been there yet, and neither have I. Maybe there will be no answer, or we won't have it.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:11 AM, gabbyisbot said:

修行是在「空」跟「有」之間——[中觀正見]

性空緣起是也

13 hours ago, drekt said:

因為所有物質的東西都是活人才有的問題。死後,什麼問題都沒與。那麼極樂是什麼?說什麼金碧輝煌什麼奇花異草,那只是活人的奢望。

佛教的空到底是什麼?是否就是與道合一主宰蒼生?

佛不主宰蒼生命,

佛教世人認清己,

佛說貪瞋癡慢疑,

滾滾紅塵層層疊,

世世五毒緊隨身,

六道輪迴終不盡,

真如不顯無出期!

佛教世人把毒治,

持戒禪定生智慧,

撤銷層層紅塵埃,

學佛清淨身口意,

學佛如如不动心,

清淨真如身口意,

學佛了脫自生死,

了脫生死出輪回!

佛教自度與度他,

菩提路上乘願來,

廣度衆生弘佛法,

龍華會上相見歡!

Edited by floda

7 hours ago, drekt said:

buddha said emptiness shall supersede all his previous teaching just before he left. 

When did buddha said emptiness teaching supersede his previous teaching?  Supersede implies that his previous teachings are invalid.

Buddha taught the 4 Noble Truths & the 8 Noble Paths.  All the teachings are derived from this basis.  All Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana schools teachings are based on this.  Deviation is not buddhism.

8 hours ago, drekt said:

@drekt It seems you have a lot of doubts and misinformation. Why don't you approach a member of the Sangha and seek guidance instead?

You ask why a Buddhist chant - there is a lot of purpose but in the end it voice down to a person's intent.

Some chant to constant remind themselves of Buddha's teaching, some chant mantra to follow path of certain Buddha's great vow, some chant in hope to gain merits'. An example is if a person is lack of compassion and loving kindness (since you ask so much about vegetarian etc) I would ask one to recite "Karaniya Metta Sutta: The Buddha's Words on Loving-Kindness". Nobody can explain to you or make you feel sufferings' of other. 

You must understand Buddha teaches for 45 years and every teaching he provides usually is tailored to that being whom he is trying to enlighten. That's why he is Buddha and we are not. He sees your level of wisdom, understand your needs and try to enlighten you with the same level of teachings. Thus you may come across a lot of sutra, mantra and sutta but you need to find a path that is able to match your current level of wisdom. If you expect Buddhism to be spoon feed like other religion, I am sorry. You can't pray your sins away or create merits out of nothing because just like laws of nature. Buddha can only tell you fire is dangerous to play with but if you insist in playing with fire and in the end gets burn, that's the nature of being.

Finally, if you think others just talk and talk, why not be the example and practice instead? You could be the next Mother Teresa!

Guest dinky donk

Let's us all go back to the basics of the central ideas of Buddhism versus western classical ideas about the real universe as we know it,

In classical western philosophy and thinking, time and space is linear and goes forwards in a straight line and there is a beginning which is the creation of the world, by a creator or Deity , and then there is a set point of end ing of the universe, which many religions of the abrahamic and related ones subscribes to, which is there is final judgement day, where all humans will be judged on that day , by their deeds in this world, the book of life will record all the sins, bad deeeds and good deeds and if the good deeds exceed the bad deeds by a large margins , then that soul or person will go to paradise and the soul with more bads deeds is sent to a place of eternal torture and burning and gnashing of teeths due to the severe unbearable pain of hell.

classical Indian thought which emcompasses Buddhist idea of the universe is that time and space there is no beginning and ending, the universe , space and time , just exist, it can be created and destroyed and then being recreated again and again , so that there is no one creator  that says I created the universe by my divine power, therefore I need to be worshipped as I created the world and the creator will end the world and there is a judgement day at the end , and after that the universe will exist no more.

Buddhist reject this idea, as classical Indian thought which Buddhism also comes from says that the Universe is created then destroyed and the created again, which the scientist of today have confirmed with scientific investigation which indeed outside and inside our solar systems and many , many planetary systems away , indeed there are many , many billions of possible universes being created and destroyed when their lifetimes have come to the end and then many new universes being created and reborn again.

One idea in Classical Indian and Buddhist belief that Western ideas find it hard to understand and digest , is the concept of the circular nature of time and space, instead of a start and end, time is actually circular and there is no start and end point, it just goes on and on and on, and and can come back to the beginning after going one whole round, 

So essentially , you can end up where you started from after going through many life cycles, and rebirths, this is an idea only coming from classical Indian thought, and it is so high in developement, 

Indian classical thought refuses to be tied down to a linear path of begin and then end point,

Many Buddhist Struggle to understand this concept also, and I dont pretend to say I have fully grasp this.

But this is very central and scientist like Albert Einstein also have formulated mathematical and physics theories to prove this .

Einstein studies about Blackholes and new scientist study about formations and existance of blackholes have postulated that time and space is not entirely linear and time can be bent and disppappear and reappaear... which will affect everyone who lives on earth, if one day our earth gets too near a black hole in the universe, and we all get pulled by the intense gravitational force of black hole.

Then there is the idea of the existance of parallel universes that exist in the same time and space which the Buddha talked about in his teachings when his disciples asked him to explain about,  the idea of parallel universes, is so deep and difficult to understand, but nowdays scientist have used Einstein's theories and calcualtions to predict that it is indeed possible for parallel universes to exist,   which sort of explains why when a person passes from one life form to another birth, he goes into parallel universe which is going at different speeds and different frequencies, and sometimes these parallel universes may intersect briefly, then we have existance of communication with the loved ones who have passed away, what we perceive as ghosts , spirits and sightings are the crossing over of parallel universes which the buddha more than 2500 years ago have tried to explain to his disciples, after going into deep meditation and then gone into the three reams of past , present and future...

The ideas of Quantum Physics, which is hard to digest is that thought can be transform into energy and energy can transform into thought, this idea that the Buddha thought that your thoughts can be transform into energy and form , which means if you think bad thoughts or unskillful thoughts , then you can manifest illness unto yourself , which modern psychology and medicine is trying to study if the idea that your thoughts can make you manifest an illness , then can your non stop thoughts can make you reborn into a lower life form, 

Buddhas higher teachings are being studied by scientist and they have found it very researchable and can be studied by setting up experiments to study and repeat the phenomena.

This in regard to Abrahamic religions cannot be studied and cannot set up experiments to record the experience.

actually i do not give a damn what sangka or sikahzhua wants to teach me. none is true. if you wants to say about energy, yes it is true. but is it the teaching? i have my doubt.

during the cold war, some scientist did some experiment and prove a new energy form. however extensive research did not continue. let name it beta wave. it is generated by thought and could be accumulated in space. 

2 hours ago, Guest dinky donk said:

Let's us all go back to the basics of the central ideas of Buddhism versus western classical ideas about the real universe as we know it,

---

blah, blah, blah,

---

The ideas of Quantum Physics, which is hard to digest is that thought can be transform into energy and energy can transform into thought, this idea that the Buddha thought that your thoughts can be transform into energy and form , which means if you think bad thoughts or unskillful thoughts , then you can manifest illness unto yourself , which modern psychology and medicine is trying to study if the idea that your thoughts can make you manifest an illness , then can your non stop thoughts can make you reborn into a lower life form, 

Buddhas higher teachings are being studied by scientist and they have found it very researchable and can be studied by setting up experiments to study and repeat the phenomena.

This in regard to Abrahamic religions cannot be studied and cannot set up experiments to record the experience.

I've never heard of thought being transformed into energy.

If this is true, then I must be full of energy :)

I don't want to disrespect what you wrote,

but I think (energy!) that it is mostly speculation.

Gautama Buddha was a person like you and me.

He couldn't have known what society today is still investigating.

His teaching must also be figurative speculations.

We perceive time to be linear, but experimental data can be justified by a theory that time is not linear,

and the relativistic theories of Einstein are not difficult to accept.

But ideas that time is cyclical and we return to the beginning, sound like primitive fantasies.

Parallel universes are fertile ground for science fiction, and today are nothing more than speculation.

We insignificant creatures perceive an infinitesimal part of time and space, which for us is "normal".

Beyond this,  the sky is the limit for speculations, and we extrapolate our "normal" in fantastic ways.

Some centuries ago people speculated about spirits, phantoms, ghosts, supernatural powers.

Today we have a richness of scientific theories to add to our speculations.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:50 AM, Steve5380 said:

It seems that Buddha never wrote anything.  Same with Jesus Christ.  Perhaps the same is the case with Confucius. 

Yup, they certainly didn't. And while they did assume somewhat the role of teacher, their purpose was always to teach through Doing and Being. The tradition of the Scribe or Pupil is just a way for us to capture something tangible out of the Formless. It is a human insecurity, essentially - lack of inner trust or faith, that Action is the best teacher. 

Certainly, these spiritual teachers are not bothered with adoration or to be praised. They are just normal people who have awoken and cared to share with fellow human beings to ease their suffering.

There is actually an important book on this subject matter, and how the written language has distorted changed the format of Belief. It is called, "The Alphabet vs The Goddess" by Leonard Shlain. If you are down for a good read, you can check it out. It strides across the topics of History, Anthropology, Psychology, and Religion, and is one of the key publications to attempt to connect the dots.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

• G_M changed the title to Buddhism Discussion
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.