Male HQ

Is the soya sauce chicken at chinatown worth waiting for many hrs

Guest guest

Tried. Pretty good. Bought it for my parents. They are very picky with food and even they like it. Go for the noodles instead of the rice, because their noodles are good too. I went there twice. I waited for 2 hours in the queue the first time with about 30 people ahead of me, and 1 hour the second time with 16 people ahead of me. And that's considered short because I was there even before opening hours. The queuing time takes so long because people buy tens of packages each time. Usually, more than 10 whole chickens will fly off the hooks by the time those people ahead of me are done with their orders.

But to answer your question: waiting an hour or two is worth the wait if you are just buying a few packages. If you are buying many packages, it might be worth a longer wait. But if you just want to buy one package to try and the queue is going to be 3 hours long or you have 30 to 40 people ahead of you, I'd say forget it.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

But to answer your question: waiting an hour or two is worth the wait if you are just buying a few packages. If you are buying many packages, it might be worth a longer wait. 

If you're going there to queue for the 3rd time and to make your queue worthwhile, please help me to buy 10 packets of noodles.  Everyone can also place your order here ! 

Yes, it's good. I sometimes cook and my family relishes good food quite demanding. We were lucky that we went there long before they became  famous and waited for just 20 minutes.

But now they have to cook so much more, I don't know.

Best is they are very humble and patient and they charge very low prices. Looking forward to their new store at Smith St. and wishing them success.

I tried it a few times before they became "famous", even then there was always a queue (mostly older folks).

The soya chicken is quite good actually, huge portion (I always get a half), yet succulent and well flavored.

The roast pork is very good too.

I haven't try after they became "famous", but with the huge crowd, I can only expect standard to drop a bit ...

When would the queue be shorter? Weekdays? What time? I know they are closed on Wednesday.

Edited by Vometra

The only reason for Q  before the star is because is good  and cheap  generous with their sauces and chilli and patient services  ! That's how they are being rated ....But once they branch out as a restaurant and up price their food after the star , you can forget about it 

Money comes in..another heritage brought by money. The government must step in to prevent these big money from diluting our culture. If he needs financial assistamce, the government should help. 

What we want is good food at low prices. The government can just waive rent and utility fees..this will not lead the govt to fork out cash 

Personally I don't like it as it is too salty & 'oyster sauce' for me.

i heard the secret to not having to queue so long is to just prepare the money & go ask for the whole chicken (without them having to chop) to take away. Not sure how true it is though but worth the try 

4 hours ago, snowball said:

They are opening a new branch opp my ck dept store, if you hate waiting for hours, you can go there mid of nov.

heard abt it, scarly that is also gonna be long

my friends working near that area said the elderly q there before they even open/preparing hor

Guest 72%dark

I had the good fortune to have eaten there long before the star, and I enjoyed it and the roast pork.

But let's put it this way, no matter how good it might be, when customers have to wait a very long time and thus endure some discomfort, their expectations are going to be (unfairly) raised. (Not to mention the effect of the hype generated by the star.) So there are bound to be lots of people who will feel some degree of disappointment, even if the quality is objectively comparable to that of another establishment they favor. 

My suggestion is not to rush with everyone else, but to just wait patiently till the hype dies down and people lose interest. Cos this is Singapore and this will happen. Remember Tim Ho Wan, Kay Lee roast meats, Llao Llao, etc etc?

11 hours ago, 72%dark said:

I had the good fortune to have eaten there long before the star, and I enjoyed it and the roast pork.

My suggestion is not to rush with everyone else, but to just wait patiently till the hype dies down and people lose interest. Cos this is Singapore and this will happen. Remember Tim Ho Wan, Kay Lee roast meats, Llao Llao, etc etc?

wow "good fortune"

yes hoping its q will bcome like the ordinary llao llao

14 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

wow "good fortune"

yes hoping its q will bcome like the ordinary llao llao

llao llao is expensive and not filling , but their food is filling for most and still cheap and w will always be there but if the price would be increased yearly , the long  q will disappear for sure . 

On 30 October 2016 at 4:22 PM, Guest Guest said:

Money comes in..another heritage brought by money. The government must step in to prevent these big money from diluting our culture. If he needs financial assistamce, the government should help. 

What we want is good food at low prices. The government can just waive rent and utility fees..this will not lead the govt to fork out cash 

Cannot. You want to raid the country's reserve?

• 1 month later...

Personally, I had it years back. It maybe the much rave about by many friends (they do not know each other). So, when I finally get to eat it, I find it nice, but not the overly "WOW, jaw drop" kind of feeling ... Subconsciously, I had build up my expectations; just like Fengshan bak chor mee...

Now that it had gone into a restaurant style -  as per 72%dark, wait for the hype to die down...

• 1 year later...

they opened a branch at the foodcourt at Terminal 21, Bangkok.  There is no queue there and lots of empty seats for you to choose from. So the  next time you are in Bangkok, you can try the soya sauce chicken there instead of queueing here.  They of course proudly displayed a life-size standee of the owner and their michelin star.

Suck my tits and I'll lick your balls.

Lick my arse and I'll suck your cock.

All in sex is fair.

The only bad thing about sex is that it doesn't last long enough.

Read my blog - www.anasianjourney.blogspot.com

I felt the Michelin is really no gd at all , they r now preoccupied with expanding and EXpansion

the hawker chan's fb is smeared with really lousy comments

even their 2nd best dish ie roasted meat (siu bah) also cannot make it , it was really horrendous!
https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restaurant_Review-g294265-d11961130-Reviews-Hawker_Chan-Singapore.html

I have not heard of 玛利亚处女鸡 though

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2018 at 2:14 PM, -Ignored- said:

I felt the Michelin is really no gd at all , they r now preoccupied with expanding and EXpansion

the hawker chan's fb is smeared with really lousy comments

even their 2nd best dish ie roasted meat (siu bah) also cannot make it , it was really horrendous!
https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restaurant_Review-g294265-d11961130-Reviews-Hawker_Chan-Singapore.html

I have not heard of 玛利亚处女鸡 though

玛利亚处女鸡 is nai~~~~se

but she doesn't de-bone the chicken. the chicken is very tender, but deep inside the thigh meat closer to the bone, it can be a little uncooked.

but, it's nice.

personally, i'll go to 钊记 opposite Chinatown Point (the smaller shop). the assistants are less friendly but they'll warm up when you're a regular, but most importantly, their chicken is tastier, and more flavorful than the one upstream.

they also don't de-bone the chicken, but they're able to 起大骨; meaning, the major bones.

+65 9090 four four nine six (WA), fourthandthird (Line)

Tiong Bahru market vicinity

$78 / hr - tui na + minor fixing + bone setting (if necessary)

$35 (approx 15 mins + -) - 抓根 Zhua Gen ($5 bundling discount applies when not done stand-alone)

$50 flat rate - treatment of lower back / disc herniation issues. Add $10 for additional area.
Gua sha - $15

$36 bonesetting-and-go (5 - 10 mins)

Daily 10am to 10pm last appt but please text in advance. Special early / ultra late appts are possible, just book in advance.

Please keep your mask on 😃

8 minutes ago, fourth said:

玛利亚处女鸡 is nai~~~~se

but she doesn't de-bone the chicken. the chicken is very tender, but deep inside the thigh meat closer to the bone, it can be a little uncooked.

but, it's nice.

personally, i'll go to 钊记 opposite Chinatown Point (the smaller shop). the assistants are less friendly but they'll warm up when you're a regular, but most importantly, their chicken is tastier, and more flavorful than the one upstream.

they also don't de-bone the chicken, but they're able to 起大骨; meaning, the major bones.

uncooked? not that good woh

yes, i know where is that  hai shan jie

i m ok w not deboning, i felt chicken shd come w bone

but some find it not smooth enough i m ok, but their chicken rice/noodle getting not cheap

1 minute ago, -Ignored- said:

uncooked? not that good woh

yes, i know where is that  hai shan jie

i m ok w not deboning, i felt chicken shd come w bone

but some find it not smooth enough i m ok, but their chicken rice/noodle getting not cheap

yeah definitely not cheap but i feel it's better than the Michelin 1 star chicken. it's gotten too big and commercialized lo.

+65 9090 four four nine six (WA), fourthandthird (Line)

Tiong Bahru market vicinity

$78 / hr - tui na + minor fixing + bone setting (if necessary)

$35 (approx 15 mins + -) - 抓根 Zhua Gen ($5 bundling discount applies when not done stand-alone)

$50 flat rate - treatment of lower back / disc herniation issues. Add $10 for additional area.
Gua sha - $15

$36 bonesetting-and-go (5 - 10 mins)

Daily 10am to 10pm last appt but please text in advance. Special early / ultra late appts are possible, just book in advance.

Please keep your mask on 😃

1 minute ago, fourth said:

yeah definitely not cheap but i feel it's better than the Michelin 1 star chicken. it's gotten too big and commercialized lo.

the biggest shock that it can flew out to taipei, thailand (land of good fd too) and etc, open branches in sg......i ate once w no consistency hence i stopped going to Hawker Chan...they ride on him on an insurance ads, but i no longer feel that is genuine (even though his standee is everywhere)

i followed the food editor 's fb page, she too felt that michelin judges must be inconsistent too

On 4/19/2018 at 1:01 PM, kimlo777 said:

they opened a branch at the foodcourt at Terminal 21, Bangkok.  There is no queue there and lots of empty seats for you to choose from. So the  next time you are in Bangkok, you can try the soya sauce chicken there instead of queueing here.  They of course proudly displayed a life-size standee of the owner and their michelin star.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:00 AM, fourth said:

Unfortunately that is always the case, nowadays even religion, charity and sports are so commercialized, can't really think of anything that isn't commercialized.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:01 PM, kimlo777 said:

Thanks for the info, would try out next month when I m there but won't be able to tell if is the same as the one here cos I have never try the one here, every time I pass by and see the q at the store, I shake my head and ask "how can anyone be patience enough to q for hours under such a hot and humid environment?"

Any store that is less than 5 people in the q is nice to me :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to try this chicken rice in bkk, if the standard is the same, then i dont know why it can get awards and people are simply crazy to q for it.

I dont find it exceptional, is just normal chicken rice, i m sure there are others that taste better, the rice was too soft for my liking and the chicken was not debone making it difficult to eat. 88 baht seems ok, the only good thing is no q.

Just to keep everyone in the loop about good deal: here's a new soya sauce chicken which I think tastes pretty near to the michelin chicken (possibly nicer but a little jelat). Only 9.80 for one whole! - so no matter how, it's a good deal. At this China Classic Restaurant in Chinatown Point...fyi they charge $2 if you want it cut up. Try lor, before they finish promo :D

Soya-Sauce-Chicken-9.80-Takeaway-Dec-201

Edited by Cube3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not worth queuing for his food, as u can find better soy sauce chicken else where in Singapore. We  Chinese are very particular on the taste n favour on every dish. Good food n is delicious , is worth queuing if u don’t mind. All people something new just go blindly n follow the que.

His popularity at the time at the hawker center, food is cheap. Many used to patronized n the que was formed. Now the stall turned to Michelin, name hawker Chan, but the stall at the hawker center ,still run by his relatives.

Feedback from those customers patronized him, turn sour as the food is not as what we expect. Price also fantastic expensive, how the Michelin judge?

I think ang Koh also don’t know much on our Chinese cuisine, just like we Chinese are not expect trying the western food.

• 2 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.