Male HQ

Chinese New Year In Spore

erection day

Dong Dong Dong Chang! Goodness, the Chinese New Year (my favourite time of the year) is descending on us again. More than Xmas, this festive period heralds cheers and happiness and coupled with the seasonally cool breezy weather is enough to bring a smile to my face. Being the year of the rats, you can easily see this character manifests itself in many forms. :D

NY3-1.jpg

Many stalls all decked in red can be easily seen in many parts of heartland in Spore. This is one of the 'good luck' stall plying their trades outside Hougang Mall.

NY1.jpg

More red. :D

NY2.jpg

Not forgetting those essential red packets

NY12.jpg

And gold everywhere.

NY11.jpg

NY10.jpg

At Chinatown, the stalls are not up yet. But taking a stroll in the evening along the streets do get one quite nostalgic about the past.

NY7.jpg

Raise the red laterns. Beautiful, arent they?

MY6.jpg

A scene on a Friday evening.

NY5.jpg

This is the famous food street in Chinatown. I love the particular porridge stall in the middle.

NY9.jpg

Will expect the stalls selling CNY stuff to be set up in the coming week. And will post more pictures then. Do watch this space.

When it comes to buying batkwa - sweet barbecued pork for the CNY, for some only one name will do it for them. Its this famous stall (there have two branches now) at Chinatown.

CHINATOWN1.jpg

CHINATOWN2.jpg

Also chance upon this stall selling sausages of different shapes and sizes just outside the CK stall.

CHINATOWN3.jpg

Well, one shot of an 'unsuspecting unker' looking at, erm, sausages.

CHINATOWN4.jpg

Also for the new year, one mustnt forget about the flowers. If you are into fake flowers, do visit this stall at People's Park.

CHINATOWN7.jpg

Finally, saw this abandoned chinggay float on the street. Did anyone of you leave it there? :D

CHINATOWN6.jpg

personally felt that Lim Chee Guan's bak gua is over rated. nice but not worth the timing and $$$.

it just becomes a brand name as gifts to future parent-in-laws, business associates, clients, bosses etc...

if you are in Malaysia, try their bak gua there, much cheaper and nicer... eg wo lai ye, yong xiang are good bets

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

The street life in Chinatown is coming more alive now with the appraoching of the CNY. Just look at the bright gay entrance to the Chinatown central. :D

CNY13.jpg

Since this is gonna be the year of the rats, this theme is almost unavoilable with the representation of Mickey Mouse at most of the decorations I saw.

CNY9.jpg

Remember the beautiful Xmas facade at Chinatown Point?

16chinatown.jpg

Ho and behold, it's now been cleverly morphed into the Chinese theme.

CNY14.jpg

A full shot taken across the road

CNY10.jpg

Even the nearby Hotel 81 has gamely gone into the festive mood.

CNY12.jpg

Dont you love those bright lights?

CNY11.jpg

Along the Chinatown street divider is this beautiful light display. So gay.

CNY3.jpg

Closer inspection of the Whinne the Pool and gang

CNY4.jpg

CNY6.jpg

CNY5.jpg

More mouse theme along the way.

CNY8.jpg

Not forgetting his best friends- the ducks. :D

CNY7.jpg

A popular stall selling festive goods

CNY1.jpg

And this famous German seller- a popular odd man out in Chinatown. Havent try his sausage though... hmmm... I mean his German grilled hot dog.

CNY16.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The CNY street bazaar had its grand official opening last night. Chinatown was absolutely teeming with people so much so I felt totally claustrophobic and had to get out of there fast. But earlier in the day it was a breeze walking thru the many delightful stalls.

22.jpg

12.jpg

So many stalls. And quite a few selling the same things. Melon seeds seem quite a popular choice. :D

9.jpg

11.jpg

And these colourful ones.

27.jpg

Dont know what this is. But look interesting

24.jpg

Another busy stall. Many will recognise the popular Backstage bar in the background.

3.jpg

Red sausages and waxed duck anyone?

6.jpg

20.jpg

Not to be outdone, the fruit stalls are also out in force.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Andy, want to buy some clothes for your nieces? or just for yourself. :D

19.jpg

Saw this colourful wayang mini-stage

26.jpg

And finally, the god of wealth presiding over the AMK Mall entrance.

2.jpg

Dear ED,

Thanks. Really! U have added another dimension to Travellers Hut!

With ur posts on 'special festivals/events' on singapore here, she has also become (to people staying overseas) a 'portal' to Singapore. And as i write, more and more foreigners and singaporeans overseas get a feel of Singapore from a fellow PLU. This, i would to say, is and would be greatly appreciated :)

And hence, i would like to take this opportunity to thank u again! ;)

kind of nostalgic after seeing those pics but i can only be back after CNY ...(sigh) ;)

With ur posts on 'special festivals/events' on singapore here, she has also become (to people staying overseas) a 'portal' to Singapore.

Ahem.... I think blowing wind is a he rather than 'she'. lol. Anyway, no need to thank me lah. It's something I enjoy doing aside from sex and washing dishes. :D

Hopefully some foreign mature hunks are reading my post and may pm me for a personal tour of the city and more. haha....

Thanks Sky! for pointing it out. i been thinking abt it also.. not particularly on EDs pic. but the pics i posted also quite big size.. and if viewers find it a turn off opening such threads.

I would reduce the pics i post from now and Hope that the rest would also cooperate. Thanks in advance!

if got subsequent comments on large photos, i would moved them to 'feedbacks'

thanks again. ;)

Best

Be prepared to pay more for your bak kwa treat this year. According to Sunday Times' report, 'This year 'bak kwa index' shows a rise up to 12.5 per cent a week as of Jan 18.' The hike in price can be attributed to 'rising cost of raw materials like pork and oil'. Most vendors are raising their prices which may see the price hitting $50 a kg very soon.

Frangrance- $43 per kg (expected to rise $48 to $50 per kg within next 2 wks)

Lim Chee Guan- $46 per kg (expected to rise $48 to $50 per kg within next 2 wks)

Kim Hock Guan- $45 per kg (No price increments planned)

Bee Cheng Hiang- $45 per kg (No price increments planned)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.