Male HQ

Yoga

Kkklaus

Guest Sport-coholic
9 hours ago, neuwave said:

So far my exposure to yoga classes are with Fitness First, since it's an existing membership and I must say they do bring in reputable yoga instructors to teach.

I'll try out other yoga studios sometime next year after YTT to see how different instructors conduct their classes.

And I finally gotten my very first yoga mat from sugarmat. LOL. No Manduka or Lululemon..

Where are you doing your YTT?

9 hours ago, neuwave said:

So far my exposure to yoga classes are with Fitness First, since it's an existing membership and I must say they do bring in reputable yoga instructors to teach.

Here’s my personal opinion after attended classes conducted by yoga instructors from India (sometimes we called them Master) and local/‘non-Master’ yoga instructor:

1. The local ones are better for beginner because they tend to correct the beginners’ poses more often than the Masters. 

2. The local one will demonstrate the step by step of getting into a pose. What are the do and don’t. I seldom find the Masters doing so. Masters will tell you how to do it in words but I have only encountered 1-2 who did demonstrations like many local instructors. 

Guest Sport-coholic
7 minutes ago, neuwave said:

I'm heading to Rishikesh in February for the whole month! Wanna tag along? Lol

Cannot. I find it hard to understand Indians English when they speak; don't even attend the yoga classes conducted by them in the gym. :unsure:

31 minutes ago, Sport-coholic said:

Cannot. I find it hard to understand Indians English when they speak; don't even attend the yoga classes conducted by them in the gym. :unsure:

Haha well I've been to India couple of times. And also the yoga Shala I'm heading to is lead by an English speaking instructor so not so bad lol. 

I suspect it may be a cultural thing when teachers don’t adjust students as much because they may not be as comfortable with contact with the opposite gender.

For teacher training and more advanced classes, there’s not many places that can rival Pure for the range offered. Plus no pushy sales reps. Whilst it’s true certain smaller studios have very good teachers, they are limited in what they can try in a class because of the student turnover.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Attended my first Power Yoga class today. It’s was fun and exhilarating! Yes, there are some poses that I struggled. But I think I’m keeping up with the some of the ‘regulars’ :P

Must practice more, must be more aware of my own body and getting into the pose safely and correctly. 

where about? Sounds like Fitness First with Soo :)

30 minutes ago, neuwave said:

Ah I see. How's TF like? 

Dudes, there’s so many yoga studios around, try them out and support these small outfits who have very good teachers. The yoga instructors in the big gyms are usually just fitness instructors who teach yoga amongst other things.

Guest Sport-coholic
1 hour ago, Guest Yogi said:

The yoga instructors in the big gyms are usually just fitness instructors who teach yoga amongst other things.

Yes, I tend to avoid them. There are still plenty of instructors who teach purely yoga/pilates in the 'big gym' that I go to.  

2 hours ago, Guest Yogi said:

Dudes, there’s so many yoga studios around, try them out and support these small outfits who have very good teachers. The yoga instructors in the big gyms are usually just fitness instructors who teach yoga amongst other things.

I don’t go for ‘that kind’ of yoga classes too. 

True Fitness and True Yoga relationship is a not so straight forward. So I’m not going to the details here. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sport-coholic
14 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Anyone will be going for the Yogafest this coming weekend?

Pretty excited yet nervous about it. 

I find the tickets expensive without providing yoga mat and drinks. 

Edited by Sport-coholic

Guest Sport-coholic
5 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Indeed, it’s on the pricy side. 

I would think anything going on the “international” label and “healthy” label are expensive. 

Let us know if it is good for next year consideration. :P

YogaFest 2019 World Edition came and gone in a blink of eye.

Since @Sport-coholic asked for a feedback, here goes (be warned: I do not proof read what I am going type. Prepare to have headache after reading :ph34r:):

I have the 2-day tickets. The venue for the main event venue was nice, sheltered and with big fan (like the one you see in MRT station). The second venue was on grass, still shelter but can be a bit hot in the afternoon.

There were many programs lined up for both the days. I wasn't that gung-ho to attend ALL the programs. I did 2 classes on the first day and I was practically flat in the 2nd class. No idea how some people can be in every class! :wacko:(really maximizing the ticket $$). On the second day, I had learnt my lesson and went for only 1 class.

There were some Instagram-famous yoga instructors. There were many instragram-influencers at the event.:wub:

The classes were mixed level, BUT I feel they are more suited for people who have at least 2 years of yoga experience. I saw people walking out because they could not follow. It's quick pace. Most of instructors gave instructions and you follow. There were only limited demo. I realized there were quite a lot of people who couldn't follow the instructions. They were looking at what's their neighbours on their left and right were doing!

There were also a handful (advance practitioners ,obviously) who will go into handstand so very often i.e transition from forward fold to downward dog, transition from downward dog to forward bend. :unsure: 

Overall, the tickets are a bit pricey. Don't expect to gain much from such event, more like an eye opener.  If you happen to pick up some new tricks/knowledge, that's a bonus.

Yes...I had fun and I have discovered many new food joints around there. :P

Will I go again next year? hmmm..... I can't say for sure.

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Garyl said:

Hi @bluerunner , 

This year should be better.

bought bricks, wheel, stretching tool to improve on strength and poses... :D

I am also thinking of getting yoga blocks. Saw them at decathlon over the weekend and the price looks reasonable. But I hardly got time to practice at home. Haha

Also wanted to get a hand towel. Towel given out at Yoga center can be slippery at times cos it’s too worn out. 

Guest Sport-coholic
1 hour ago, bluerunner said:

I am also thinking of getting yoga blocks. Saw them at decathlon over the weekend and the price looks reasonable. But I hardly got time to practice at home. Haha

Also wanted to get a hand towel. Towel given out at Yoga center can be slippery at times cos it’s too worn out. 

Still reasonable to get from decathlon even if you don't practice at home regularly.

1 hour ago, bluerunner said:

Yoga block to train diff muscl if i need to swop out other body parts.. sometimes cant do any more pushups on certain days..:)

I buy mostly online  ..laz.tao..qo...

Lazaxxx is fav now as free delivery ..so i usu.. buy something each mth. 

Edited by Garyl

7 minutes ago, Garyl said:

Yoga block to train diff muscl if i need to swop out other body parts.. sometimes cant do any more pushups on certain days..:)

I buy mostly online  ..laz.tao..qo...

Lazaxxx is fav now as free delivery ..so i usu.. buy something each mth. 

I will only buy online if there’s a real saving and/or I cannot get it locally. 

Sometimes I see thing that I like but I only need 1 item from that shop and I have to pay so much for the freight. That deters me. 

Oh yes, I am also looking for a hot yoga shorts. I want something more “lively”. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2018 at 4:50 PM, bluerunner said:

Anyone of you here has attended any yoga workshops from Pure Yoga? 

What I would like to know is that, which workshop have you attended (if you are ok to say) and was it suitable for all levels or did it require some level of competency?

All inputs will be highly appreciated. 

You may PM me if it’s too personal. Thanks. 

a) by and far, I would say the instructor has to teach to the strength of the group. this is seriously frustrating in a way cos I attend miguel santana advance handbalancing class but because most of the students can't even hold a 15 second free standing handstand, he is limited in what he can teach to the group.

b) so i would say, as long as you have a regular practice and can like do (20 push ups) and can touch your toes, most , if not all the workshops are accessible.

c) even if its somehow too high level for you, having a theoretical understanding of how to get there and the progressions or strength needed to get there is also useful.

---
however, don't expect any miracles from workshops. i find that having a consistent practice and knowing what to do to get to your end goal is key.

• 4 weeks later...

Question guys: I tried aerial yoga 2 Sat ago (my first aerial yoga experience) and 2 days later I discovered some red bumps on my inner thighs and armpit area. While not itchy, it’s unsightly, and I can them subsiding a bit, anyone with such experience? It is due to the tightness at those area or the hammock is dirty?

i got phobia now to do aerial yoga

On 4/22/2019 at 8:15 AM, asianboyy said:

Question guys: I tried aerial yoga 2 Sat ago (my first aerial yoga experience) and 2 days later I discovered some red bumps on my inner thighs and armpit area. While not itchy, it’s unsightly, and I can them subsiding a bit, anyone with such experience? It is due to the tightness at those area or the hammock is dirty?

i got phobia now to do aerial yoga

I think it's normal. I had that issue as well when i first started out. It's due to the friction between your body and the silk hammock (sorta like rope burn). So if you slip/rely on the hammock to catch you or support you, then it tends to show up. It does get better over time though; as you build strength you rely less on the hammock to support you, and so will get less of it. I've been at it for several months now and I now rarely have that issue. Wearing tights and protecting your armpit area helps alot too.

2 hours ago, lmope said:

I think it's normal. I had that issue as well when i first started out. It's due to the friction between your body and the silk hammock (sorta like rope burn). So if you slip/rely on the hammock to catch you or support you, then it tends to show up. It does get better over time though; as you build strength you rely less on the hammock to support you, and so will get less of it. I've been at it for several months now and I now rarely have that issue. Wearing tights and protecting your armpit area helps alot too.

That’s reassuring, thank you for your sharing and advice. I feel bit better now. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.