Male HQ

I do not mind paying 40% tax to Singapore

Guest Taxed

Guest Tax person

CPF - 20%

GST - 10% to be

Medishield premium - 35%  to be

Income tax - 22%

Singaporean total individual being taxed is 87%.  Compare to scandy countries of 40%.  Who is the winner ?

After reading through.. cant help but wonder if increase tax higher than status quo in the name of overall social welfares, may manisfest into something not directly visible like mentality to slow down or whats-the-point-doing-that cultural a.k.a. lazy cultural?

Whats the point of study hard or work hard or dont any how sex and give birth a dozen of kids or plan our budget carefully, etc. when some so-hai - who wasted their youth to study diligently or went through various hardships to earn higher income job - suddently because of this tax raise have to pay more tax to help those-in-need who dont plan or go through hardships before strucked by unforseen circumstances?

Helping those born handicap is part of humanity.. but helping those mentioned above.... not sure how many sensible people would endorse that.  Personally feel that living cost is very subjective, really depends on an individual's level of desires to spend. 

Last thing, not sure loved ones can be loosely acceptable in the world of red tapes. Unless we all are fixed minded that only date and married to local lgbtq, else how can our loved ones if happen to be foreigner on permit terms benefit from this higher tax when lgbtq civil partnership is just a tabloid monthly theme topic?

Correct me if am off topic 😋😅

10 minutes ago, Geo said:

After reading through.. cant help but wonder if increase tax higher than status quo in the name of overall social welfares, may manisfest into something not directly visible like mentality to slow down or whats-the-point-doing-that cultural a.k.a. lazy cultural?

Whats the point of study hard or work hard or dont any how sex and give birth a dozen of kids or plan our budget carefully, etc. 

You completely miss the point.  When you knew your basic well beings will be taken care of, you are more likely to pursue jobs you are passionate about without fear of not earning enough.  In Singapore you have no such luxury and passion job doesnt cut it, If you plan to survive.  So you have to work your butt off on jobs you don't love at all. Otherwise you cannot meet all your basic necessities in life . Which also means there is no guarantee of survival  even if you work hard for the rest of your  life. 

On 5/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, Guest Taxed said:

If I can enjoy FREE"-

1) Schooling for me and all my love ones for life

2) Health/dental care for me and all my love ones for life.

3) Unemployment Security.

4) Subsidised Housing

5) There is no high class or low class discrimination.

At least, it makes me fee very very SAFE and know that I will be taken care of when I grew old and nobody will become poor for having basic necessity in life covered.

Now!!

We are paying 20% to CPF, and going to pay more than 10% GST in the future and having to pay hefty healtcare cost, schooling fee and housing.  Are we not worse as compared to the Scandy countries whose citizens pay more tax and yet have better life than many Singaporeans from cradle to the grave.

Think about it.   

Actually, if you think about it, we are already paying close to 40% of "taxes". 

CPF contribution is actually 37% for Singaporeans, which is 20% by employeand another 17% by employeR if you are age 55 and below.  Effective tax for someone earning $40,000  is at 1.7%. 

So in short, you are already paying 38.4% "taxes" to the government every year which is comparable to the Scandy countries, but yet we are still paying so much for everything else.  

Compare this to a local residing in Singapore, for someone earning just $40,000, he only pays 1.4% taxes and he keeps all the rest for himself and the employer dun even need to pay him that 17% extra. 

41 minutes ago, Guest Taxing said:

You completely miss the point.  When you knew your basic well beings will be taken care of, you are more likely to pursue jobs you are passionate about without fear of not earning enough.  In Singapore you have no such luxury and passion job doesnt cut it, If you plan to survive.  So you have to work your butt off on jobs you don't love at all. Otherwise you cannot meet all your basic necessities in life . Which also means there is no guarantee of survival  even if you work hard for the rest of your  life. 

Thats true too. Working almost everyday including weekends just to justify "employability".. lost all passions because of that 😔😏

58 minutes ago, Geo said:

Whats the point of study hard or work hard or dont any how sex and give birth a dozen of kids or plan our budget carefully, etc. when some so-hai - who wasted their youth to study diligently or went through various hardships to earn higher income job - suddently because of this tax raise have to pay more tax to help those-in-need who dont plan or go through hardships before strucked by unforseen circumstances?

Helping those born handicap is part of humanity.. but helping those mentioned above.... not sure how many sensible people would endorse that.  Personally feel that living cost is very subjective, really depends on an individual's level of desires to spend. 

Last thing, not sure loved ones can be loosely acceptable in the world of red tapes. Unless we all are fixed minded that only date and married to local lgbtq, else how can our loved ones if happen to be foreigner on permit terms benefit from this higher tax when lgbtq civil partnership is just a tabloid monthly theme topic?

Correct me if am off topic 😋😅

Excuse me? What is this "because of this tax raise have to pay more tax to help those-in-need who dont plan or go through hardships......"???? 

On the contrary, I am thinking why on earth am I paying so much to the government every year, and yet I am not getting enough benefits out from it myself? The only thing that I can imagine where my own hard-earn tax money went to is to those Ministers' salaries and the benefits to all those foreign trash!!!! What is this giving them free vaccinations? Free SHN?? Free this ... free that?  Seriously ..?!?! 

Now, that's the reason why I am thinking why I should even pay any taxes at all. 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Actually, if you think about it, we are already paying close to 40% of "taxes". 

CPF contribution is actually 37% for Singaporeans, which is 20% by employeand another 17% by employeR if you are age 55 and below.  Effective tax for someone earning $40,000  is at 1.7%. 

So in short, you are already paying 38.4% "taxes" to the government every year which is comparable to the Scandy countries, but yet we are still paying so much for everything else.  

Compare this to a local residing in Singapore, for someone earning just $40,000, he only pays 1.4% taxes and he keeps all the rest for himself and the employer dun even need to pay him that 17% extra. 

Just wonder how somebody can see the CPF as paying a tax...

The CPF is even paying a premium on top of the monies paid into the CPF which is much higher than any interest would have been gained  through savings with usual interest rates at private banks (unless speculative stock investments, but who wants to take this gamble with retirement monies).

Then the last sentence doesn't make any sense at all. Maybe he meant someone doing freelance or being self employed. In fact I think I know what the error in that last sentence was.

Folks don't get mislead by such nonsense statements...

I assume the person who posted this  doesn't pay any CPF in his personal case at all or no longer in the workforce due to his personal situation otherwise who would come up with such conclusions. Compared to superannuation in Australia, the Singaporean CPF rates are quite "generous".

Maybe another local could help him and explain what the CPF is about.

1 hour ago, singalion said:

The CPF is even paying a premium on top of the monies paid into the CPF which is much higher than any interest would have been gained  through savings with usual interest rates at private banks (unless speculative stock investments, but who wants to take this gamble with retirement monies).

Then the last sentence doesn't make any sense at all. Maybe he meant someone doing freelance or being self employed. In fact I think I know what the error in that last sentence was.

Yeah, right. Interest in CPF-OA = 2% and interest in CPF-SA is 4%. Average Singapore bank deposit interest rates is 1.6% .. oops ...sorry, typo...it is 0.16%. And yeah .... so much of a "premium" paid. Inflation in Singapore 

And yes, thank you for pointing out that error. It should have read

Compare this to a local foreign trash like that of @singalion residing in Singapore, for someone earning just $40,000, he only pays 1.4% taxes and he keeps all the rest for himself and the employer dun even need to pay him that 17% extra. 

Compared to superannuation in Australia, the Singaporean CPF rates are quite "generous".

A person only needs to pay 9.5% of his salary into his Australia superannuation, compared to 20% employee CPF contribution in Singapore. So ... generous how? Generous because of the 2%-4% interest? Don't make me laugh! 

2 hours ago, singalion said:

Folks don't get mislead by such nonsense statements...

Some foreign trash seems to be trying very hard to get people to look away from facts just to stay in a paradise where he can be treated like some kind of a king and pay minimal taxes. 

What facts? What you describe in your posts are not facts but made up nonsense calculations.

Since when is the Income Tax rate for Singaporeans at 37%?

You just confirmed what I corrected on your false and misleading post:

Interest in CPF-Ordinary Account = 2% and interest in CPF-Savings Account is 4%

Both "interest" being more than usual banks in Singapore pay for savings accounts. And meaning, CPF monies in these CPF accounts earn interest and accrue more than in normal savings accounts on commercial banks.

In your nonsensical calculation a Singaporean who pays 22% income tax for his/her earnings above 320.000 would pay 59% tax on your added CPF calculation basis. 

But this is completely false:

The person pays 22% and not anything more on tax.

Please note the Employee's CPF portion is even deducted from Income Tax. You did not even factor this into your misleading calculation.

What you wrote is simple false and presented in a misleading manner to any innocent reader or overseas reader here.

For those who know about CPF and income tax, you just contributed again to make yourself to the big laughing stock of BW. Congrats.

As usual again, even a non local must explain this to you...

Edited by singalion

Regarding Australia you forgot to mention Singapore has a cap at 6,000 per month's salary and a yearly cap on bonus payments, any income earned above is not factored into the CPF contributions.

In Australia this is different. Please inform yourself first. The cap in Australia is much higher at 228,360 A$ per year whereas in Singapore it is just at 72,000 S$ per year.

Before you make unqualified statements or doubtful contributions to this Forum, please get yourself acquainted with the matter.

Edited by singalion

Last correction or your false post:

The income tax rate is at 1.375% for the income for the first 40,000 Singapore dollars and not at 1.7%

Lucky you weren't part of the maths team on the world PISA competition, because Singapore would have reached the last spot...

Regarding Australia you forgot to mention Singapore has a cap at 6,000 per month and a yearly cap on bonus payments, any income earned above is not factored into the CPF contributions.

To correct:

The maximum amount of mandatory and voluntary contributions that a person (employee or self-employed person) can make in a calendar year is subject to the CPF Annual Limit. From 2016, the CPF Annual Limit is $37,740. Per month wise if you earn up to S$4,800.. only this amount OR LOWER will be effected by deduction for CPF... the balance you earn beyond $4,800 are all yours unaffected.

Let me tell you why the typical Singaporean complains about CPF..most of them anyway. They fall into this category. This are the people who want to enjoy now, suffer later and sure can earn back mentality. To see some of their money all LOCKED UP pissed them off. These are more than likely the ones who will bankrupt from abusing credit facilities or have very little to show for (in career mobility) very early on but want to live celebrity lifestyle or crawl into their 40s, 50s or later depending on how they scrap money together to make ends meet.... and if not for CPF forcing them to have money set a side to feed their asses, they are beggars on the street. UNLESS they due to their lavish lifestyle decided to maximise all that they can scrap using CPF to buy houses too big for their own pocket. And then again, these are the ones who will suffer later too if not lean hard on their kids to bail them out.

Anyone with a reasonable lifestyle and do their due diligent to save, work hard and plan to work harder to get better income, these people and myself included, we have no qualm about CPF.

Now that I qualify to take out my CPF, I left what is needed inside as a minimum ($165k) and then some, transfer what balance to a special account to earn higher interest.  So when you see someone today argue on how bad CPF is, you can tell their financial standing more or less. People can not get over the fact they see this money in CPF and can not touch is what aggravates them. If you have enough to spend, and you know so far  none who have CPF can not touch it at 55 yrs.. so what do you have to worry? Unless you are short on funds for some reason. I am sure some are due to unexpected debt from sickness or something real and unexpected. (even that can in some case bu case basis, they let you take out from CPF to pay for urgent medical) But if you need it to buy a Rolex or play guys in a club and all this vices.. you should have made more money or accept the fact your life is not meant to be so glamorous.

In Singapore, you can see uncles and aunty who simply dressed and budget their food..etc suddenly have a Rolexs, LV or some gold chain when they look like uncles. One moment, all the cheap stuff and living on tight budget then suddenly they spot a Rolex. Old man being con by China Dragon Ladies of their CPF use to be regular stories in Chinese newspaper.  Meaning.. 55yrs Liao and can redraw money. If they still have any after buying house and put aside $165k in CPF. I am not looking down or making fun of these people . if you earn it and save it, you get to spend it how you want. And you are at an age where you can't earn more to buy nice things. So CPF redrawal time is the only moment you likely can.

But when you are young and still have potential to earn more.. these are the ones who want a 'shortcut'.  They want their Roles and cars today while they are young to show off and get laid. These are usually the one who has nothing good to say about CPF UNTIL they get older and then get that CPF money. I know some who thank god there was some force-saving in place to make them save. If not, they might have panic at such an older age and bad things happen like, no one looking after them, can't find work as an older person, family obligation, bad money decision or medical bills...etc

Pay no mind to this lot who are negative. They do not smart up, they will face that bleak future that awaits them FOR SURE. I am only sorry for those who will depend on them later in life.

And I am no foreigner.. I am a Singaporean and this are the hard facts of life and money. For a short time when I was very young, I was like that too. Think CPF was a scam. Want to live life like there is no tomorrow? That will really be what's waiting you tomorrow. If you don't wake up your ideas.

COVID19 was a big wakeup call for many. Who could have expected it. I happen to unfortunately work in an industry that is still not open in Singapore as events can not function yet. I have no pay for 8th Months awaiting the company I work to activate me again and I had a surgery that not all the money can use Medicare to pay for or insurance and burning 2k plus a month in 2020. If I was not financially sound, I wonder how I would be doing right now. Already I have desperate friends begging to borrow money from me to help their family. I am unlikely to see them repaying me back any time soon.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

18 minutes ago, upshot said:

Let me tell you why the typical Singaporean complains about CPF..most of them anyway. The fall into this category. This are the people who want to enjoy now, suffer later. To see some of their money all LOCKED UP pissed them off. These are more than likely the ones who will bankrupt from abusing credit facilities or have very little to show for (in career mobility) very early on or when in their 40s, 50s or later depending on how they scrap money together to make ends meet.... and if not for CPF forcing them to have money set a side to feed their asses, they are beggars on the street. UNLESS they due to their lavish lifestyle decided to maximise all that they can scrap using CPF to buy houses too big for their own pocket. And then again, these are the ones who will suffer later too if not lean hard on their kids to bail them out.

If you still need your daddy and mummy to teach you how to invest by the time you are in your 40s or 50s, and you still need your daddy and mummy to lock your money up in some savings account by the time you reach that age, you might as well go donate all your money away when you are young. Investment and learning to make your money grow is a lifelong process. Not only when you retire and then see your money at 55 years old.

By the way, if you think that 2% or 4% interest is going to be so spectacular, you have not seen anything at all. Grow up please. Keep your money in the CPF, and the only thing you will wake up to when you grow old is some old shabby HDB rented place and maybe even a cardboard box to sleep on (or IN). 

Guest Derelict
On 5/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, Steve5380 said:

Singapore has already one of the highest GDP per capita in the world.  Higher than the Scandinavian countries.

Yet one reads of so much dissatisfaction here!  

Maybe it is because you live in a plutocracy, the government by few powerful who get their power from their wealth.

Yet... it is a sort of democracy!  But low on freedoms.  And a dominant political party that does not let go.

Why is the Singaporean electorate so influenced that it cannot freely elect other parties?

Countries with much lower GDP per capita have populations that are much happier...

Hearing you fart from your pussy mouth is sheer disgust.

Look at US and you!

Lol

7 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

If you still need your daddy and mummy to teach you how to invest by the time you are in your 40s or 50s, and you still need your daddy and mummy to lock your money up in some savings account by the time you reach that age, you might as well go donate all your money away when you are young. Investment and learning to make your money grow is a lifelong process. Not only when you retire and then see your money at 55 years old.

By the way, if you think that 2% or 4% interest is going to be so spectacular, you have not seen anything at all. Grow up please. Keep your money in the CPF, and the only thing you will wake up to when you grow old is some old shabby HDB rented place and maybe even a cardboard box to sleep on (or IN). 

All CPF takes is 20%. You talk so much BS and act like you are money smart? You can creatively use that CPF indirectly with your property to grown it if you are property smart. BUT I doubt you are or have the money for that if not you would have already said it. And... what are you doing with the 80% that you take home? What are you MAKING WITH THAT MONEY SINCE YOU ARE SO SMART? 80% balance you can do a lot to grow that and still have enough for daily spending. If you are doing so well.. 20% deduction is chicken feed to you. So please... you are a small juvenile talking thru your mentally retarded orifice.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Last correction or your false post:

The income tax rate is at 1.375% for the income for the first 40,000 Singapore dollars and not at 1.7%

Lucky you weren't part of the maths team on the world PISA competition, because Singapore would have reached the last spot...

Regarding Australia you forgot to mention Singapore has a cap at 6,000 per month and a yearly cap on bonus payments, any income earned above is not factored into the CPF contributions.

In Australia this is different. Please inform yourself first. The cap in Australia is much higher at 228,360 A$ per year whereas in Singapore it is just at 72,000 S$ per year.

Before you make unqualified statements or doubtful contributions to this Forum, please get yourself acquainted with the matter.

You are so quick to point out that difference in a 1.375% and 1.7%, but yet you try hiding the fact as to who contributes to the superannuation in Australia and who pays for the CPF in Singapore. In Singapore, both employers and employees contributes to CPF with the employee paying the bigger bulk of it. This means that the take home pay of the gets cut off significantly at source. 

Now tell me: Who in Australia contributes to the superannuation? Employer, Employee, or both? I won't even go asking who pays the "bigger" portion if you already know the answer! 

Furthermore, while you are so quick to point out the cap in Australia is much higher at 228,360 A$ per year whereas in Singapore it is just at 72,000 S$ 37,740 per year (try to do better if you want to talk about trying to correct locals about CPF next time! ), you tried to hide the fact (as usual) that the superannuation rate is only 9.5%! Do you know how much an Australian will need to earn in a single year to have superannuation of $37,740 in an entire year?? That's $397,263 !!!! 

Your usual cunning nature of hiding facts and figures really show your trashy nature. No wonder you are getting detested by the locals more and more! 

No need to try to make me look stupid. There was nothing wrong what I said. If the maximum basic salary calculated for the CPF is 6,000 per month , then the total amount per year is 72,000. I did not talk about the CPF contribution amount, which is paid into the CPF but the salary cap.

The current salary cap contributable to CPF is at 6000 per month.

The number of what you state is the amount of total contribution to CPF per year. This is a difference!

https://www.cpf.gov.sg/employers/FAQ/employer-guides/hiring-employees/cpf-contributions-for-your-employees/FAQDetails?category=Hiring+Employees&group=CPF+Contributions+for+your+Employees&ajfaqid=2195045&folderid=14019

The Ordinary Wage (OW) Ceiling sets the maximum amount of OWs on which CPF contributions are payable per month.

The prevailing OW Ceiling is $6,000 per month.

With some maths you derive at 72,000 on salary per year. What you earn above of 6,000 on normal salary will not affect any contributions.

For the total of 72,000 per year you contribute 14,440 on your ordinary wages to CPF and up to a max of 37,740 per year on ordinary wages and additional wages (= bonus).

Depending on bonus and AWS the cap can reach 120,000 to 140,000 of yearly income (normal salary and bonus) contributable to CPF.

Calculations must be made on an individual basis because all depends how much is your basic salary (ordinary wages).

There is no need to paint me as I am telling false things here.

In contrast to you I know what I am talking about. And I don't confuse CPf with Income Tax payments.

You are the one here again misleading people and talking nothing else than nonsense. Go online and read it up again.

15 minutes ago, singalion said:

No need to try to make me look stupid. There was nothing wrong what I said. If the maximum basic salary calculated for the CPF is 6,000 per month , then the total amount per year is 72,000. I did not talk about the CPF contribution amount, which is paid into the CPF but the salary cap.

The current salary cap contributable to CPF is at 6000 per month.

The number of what you state is the amount of total contribution to CPF per year. This is a difference!

https://www.cpf.gov.sg/employers/FAQ/employer-guides/hiring-employees/cpf-contributions-for-your-employees/FAQDetails?category=Hiring+Employees&group=CPF+Contributions+for+your+Employees&ajfaqid=2195045&folderid=14019

The Ordinary Wage (OW) Ceiling sets the maximum amount of OWs on which CPF contributions are payable per month.

The prevailing OW Ceiling is $6,000 per month.

With some maths you derive at 72,000 on salary per year. What you earn above of 6,000 on normal salary will not affect any contributions.

For the total of 72,000 per year you contribute 14,440 on your ordinary wages to CPF and up to a max of 37,740 per year on ordinary wages and additional wages (= bonus).

Depending on bonus and AWS the cap can reach 120,000 to 140,000 of yearly income (normal salary and bonus) contributable to CPF.

Calculations must be made on an individual basis because all depends how much is your basic salary (ordinary wages).

There is no need to paint me as I am telling false things here.

In contrast to you I know what I am talking about. And I don't confuse CPf with Income Tax payments.

You are the one here again misleading people and talking nothing else than nonsense. Go online and read it up again.

OH! So in the same one line, you talk about the contribution caps limit in Australia, and then in the same sentence, you spoke about the salary ceiling in Singapore. Trying to compare an apple to an orange just to make yourself look good and correct?? Well done in using yourself as a prime example of what went wrong with the Foreign trash policy in Singapore indeed!!

2 hours ago, singalion said:

The cap in Australia is much higher at 228,360 A$ per year whereas in Singapore it is just at 72,000 S$ per year.

58 minutes ago, upshot said:

80% balance you can do a lot to grow that and still have enough for daily spending. If you are doing so well.. 20% deduction is chicken feed to you. 

80% is not enough to cover your housing, your hospital bill and your education fee. If all these basic necessities are beyond reach to ordinary folks, the whole system has  failed and collapsed. 

5 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

OH! So in the same one line, you talk about the contribution caps limit in Australia, and then in the same sentence, you spoke about the salary ceiling in Singapore. Trying to compare an apple to an orange just to make yourself look good and correct?? Well done in using yourself as a prime example of what went wrong with the Foreign trash policy in Singapore indeed!!

You only make yourself look like a clown, the longer you continue.

If you don't understand the subject, then just stay silent.

I did not yet touch the Australian situation because of time constraints.

The salary cap in Singapore is 72,000 per year. In Australia it is 228,360 A$ per year.

The Oz Dollar is currently at about 1 to 1.

Is there any difference between 72,000 S$ and 228,000 S$???

Can you see no difference?

There are people who have jobs and don't have the ample of time due to not contributing to the workforce like in your personal case.

You really give us big laughs...

🤡

2 minutes ago, singalion said:

You only make yourself look like a clown, the longer you continue.

If you don't understand the subject, then just stay silent.

I did not yet touch the Australian situation because of time constraints.

The salary cap in Singapore is 72,000 per year. In Australia it is 228,360 A$ per year.

The Oz Dollar is currently at about 1 to 1.

Is there any difference between 72,000 S$ and 228,000 S$???

Can you see no difference?

There are people who have jobs and don't have the ample of time due to not contributing to the workforce like in your personal case.

You really give us big laughs...

🤡

Seriously .....? Just what type of nonsense is this? I'm quoting this in case somebody tris editing it away again!

And he can boldface statements like "Is there any difference between 72,000 S$ and 228,000 S$??? "

This type of foreign trash do not deserve any jobs in any country much less so in Singapore. 

Now to Australia:  I m looking at the basic salary. Ordinary wages so to speak.

1) Does it make a difference if only the Employer pays the superannuation (= Australian CPF)?

It doesn't, because it is just a matter of calculation. You get x salary and deduct the CPF.

2) In Singapore the Employer even has to top up on the Employer's contribution which is a salary increase.

3) The 9.5 % in Australia make the contribution higher because they are calculated from your salary and the maximum amount to pay into the Australian CPF is much higher.

Singapore just 72,000 (makes S$14,400 on maximum CPF contribution per year if you earn 6000 per month, not included are AWS and bonus payments)

Australia up to S$228,360 per year is the cap for salaries to contribute to the Australian CPF.

4) Note: the Australian Dollar lost much value the past years compared to the S$, if the currency difference spreads again, then the CPF amounts are even extremer.

5) Note: In Australia the Income Tax rate starts at 19 % 18,000 to 45,000 and goes up to 45% on a salary above 180,000

6) Singaporeans are so disadvantaged and exploited by their government? You must be joking... 

If you fail to see a difference, or don't understand anything, then it is your personal problem. But don't come with your false misleading statements.

Edited by singalion

And now to foreigners:

To make a comparison on foreigners paying taxes in Singapore etc and local contributing to their retirement in CPF...

This is actually comparing apples with pears.

1) You forgot all the PRs who pay tax and CPF. Don't pull all into one pot and mislead people here with your false statements.

2) Working Non PR Foreigners you can't compare with locals and this CPF thing.

The Singapore government is just making sure that you save for your retirement.

Why don't you take a look around Singapore?

To come to a conclusion the working Foreigners are better off, because their take home salary is higher for the years of working in Singapore is

You just don't understand the background of retirement pension funds.

If the government had not implemented CPF for locals and PRs, most would end up in poverty in the end at their old age.

Singaporeans already overspend and many are indebted by credit card companies/ loan sharks or bank loans. Some are even gamblers and gamble away all their savings.

It is not our fault if you never contributed at the workforce due to your personal situation and don't have any CPF savings.

But please stop in painting a picture as if Singaporeans are so less well off compared to Foreigners in Singapore, when it comes to CPF.

I am quite sure the majority of Foreigners would decide to pay into the CPF if they could.

8 hours ago, Guest Ass said:

80% is not enough to cover your housing, your hospital bill and your education fee. If all these basic necessities are beyond reach to ordinary folks, the whole system has  failed and collapsed. 

If it does not. Find a way. Work harder. You think that getting enough money to let you live and buy your stuff you want and happiness is a LIFE ENTITLEMENT RULE in LIFE? You think your parent, govt and people around you owe you a good lilfe without struggle ?

I have no idea where you learn that but from bad parents, and I am sorry for you bro. LIFE IS NEVER SO EASY OR FAIR. You work or you die. You work more if you want more. When you only see someone drive a luxury car but you do not see how hard they work for it, does not mean they got it out of pure luck.

And run back to your parent for money when you live BEYOND YOUR MEANS is not an option if your parent struggle to feed themselves, and you are way past your into your adult life. If that is the case, you have bigger problems ahead of you to solve than tax or CPF.

There are no special rules to say, you are entitled to a big condo if you can not afford it. You do not get to buy a new iPhone every year with limited money earned compared to some successful person. You are not entitled to play stocks and shares if you can not afford to. You want something you work and save for it LIKE THE REST OF US.

If at your best effort you still can not afford the basic minimum necessities of life, you should stop dreaming, find out why you are failing at it  and work harder if you can. But if all your abilities can only give you barely an average lifestyle? That is your station in life as CRUEL as that sound. NOT everyone is the smartest or talented. Your movie star made it does not mean you will make it like them too. Many will not. That is again ON YOU. Accept it like the rest of us.

Some people can't never be manager. Some can't even be supervisors. Some people can't be doctor, architect, lawyers or engineer no matter how hard they try...etc LIFE IS NOT FAIR AND EQUAL. Blaming a Govt or even your parent also no use. That is not lucky or someone is sabotaging your future. This is not karma. You want something, you work hard as you can for it and make sacrifice instead of partying all the time.

You can make that demand on your PARENTS or FAMILY but we and the rest of the world outside, are not OBLIGATED TO SPECIAL YOU. Furthermore, you are not our responsibility to carry you and give you a super life.

No everyone will get to own a FERRARI even HOW HARD YOU DREAM EACH NIGHT. You think all of us who talk like me, all have money given to us the moment we start working? You think we all have a car and a house the moment we start working? If you say yet, you are not right in the head.

80% of what you make is not enough? Welcome to the club. One time or another we all have been there but as bad as you make it sound? Thousands if not hundreds of thousand still manage to buy a 2-4 rooms flat, condo, cheap car, expensive cars, big TV, yearly holidays or budget staycation? So who stop or limit all people around you in Singapore from having a good life or simple or poor life? IT'S ALL ON YOU. Admit to your own shortcoming, see if you can find a way out and make plans to improve your own life... LIKE THE REST OF US.

I ride a cheap bicycle for 10 yrs in my early adult. I now own bicycles costing almost 20k. You think that was easy for me working my way to that level where I get to indulge in my hobbies? I know young people are impatient and when they say they WORK HARD, they really think they did till they compared it to someone really good at what they did and succeeding. You want to depend on LUCK to fulfil your greatest dream? I am sure there are some who do get it by lucky but you know how rare that is? To win a TOTO LOTTERY is like 13 Million to one chance. Almost every draw looks like someone wins. Looks like very easy till you find out how many hundreds of million of tickets numbers are bet by people in Singapore. Of course that is why most time someone wins. BUT ONLY ONE PERSON WINS. If you still can not understand the odds of success from hard work and LUCK, you are on your way to a hard life.

I am taking the time to tell you this to help you see thru your irrational thinking to save you a world of grief awaiting you if you can not wake up from your dream. I don't know what to say to wake you up.

I learned mine from a lot of hard knocks.. don't think I cruise to where I am. I am still not that rich. I know of others a thousand or million times better than me. I can live with that. I am happy for them, but I do not envy them all day long instead of working and focusing on what works for me with my own abilities or lack of it. At least I know, I am not that stupid until I can not have enough money to survive even when I start off with O Levels.

THE SYSTEM YOU TALK ABOUT IS THERE TO GIVE YOU A FIGHTING CHANCE. NOT BE YOUR PAPA GIVING YOU A GOOD LIFE LIKE YOU DESERVE IT.

More than 50% of Singaporean ( I remember when GST started, 75% did not have to pay tax) do not pay income tax? If your 80% is that low, I am sure you are not paying. If you are a young person and you can not buy a flat and all that? That is usually the situation with most young people.  You should be worried if you are old and broke compared to when you are young and hungry and have big ambition to take on the world. If our society is so bad, look at the road, how many luxury car models and condos do you see each day?

This is plain English chit chat .. Nothing too technical or number crunching statistic. If this still don't get into the heads of people who are not doing enough to help themselves with life and money management to survive?  Good luck. You are going to need it as you get on with age which lowers your money making potential even further on this tiny island. You can't do well in life and you expect someone to marry you or depend on you for life?

Don't EVEN GET ME STARTED on technology that are making more human job obsolete. There is a nightmare even many more do not think is coming when it is already here.

I just get so angry to see people wasting their life away and blaming everyone for their problems BUT THEMSELVES. If I were in their position, I would be too worried to waste my time in Blowing Wind talking shit all the time.

**To my troll stalkers have fun throwing insults at me over this. But the best revenge in life for me is living large while you thrive on worthless stupid insults thrown at me over this that does not effect me as much as it affect their worthless lives outside BW.

Edited by upshot

12 hours ago, singalion said:

Now to Australia:  I m looking at the basic salary. Ordinary wages so to speak.

1) Does it make a difference if only the Employer pays the superannuation (= Australian CPF)?

It doesn't, because it is just a matter of calculation. You get x salary and deduct the CPF.

2) In Singapore the Employer even has to top up on the Employer's contribution which is a salary increase.

3) The 9.5 % in Australia make the contribution higher because they are calculated from your salary and the maximum amount to pay into the Australian CPF is much higher.

Singapore just 72,000 (makes S$14,400 on maximum CPF contribution per year if you earn 6000 per month, not included are AWS and bonus payments)

Australia up to S$228,360 per year is the cap for salaries to contribute to the Australian CPF.

4) Note: the Australian Dollar lost much value the past years compared to the S$, if the currency difference spreads again, then the CPF amounts are even extremer.

5) Note: In Australia the Income Tax rate starts at 19 % 18,000 to 45,000 and goes up to 45% on a salary above 180,000

6) Singaporeans are so disadvantaged and exploited by their government? You must be joking... 

If you fail to see a difference, or don't understand anything, then it is your personal problem. But don't come with your false misleading statements.

Talk so much. Whatever the taxes are, at least they do a better job in caring for their own people by giving them access to free healthcare when the need arises. And even education in Government schools are free even though things such as they ask parents to pay contribution fees and charges for materials and stationery, textbooks, etc which are not covered under government funding. And last but not least, at least work-life balance is far better than that in Australia and property prices so much cheaper too! 

That is what this entire topic "I do not mind paying 40% tax to Singapore" is all about!! So much for your usual digression all over the place just so that you can act as some kind of a mouthpiece to the establishment. Doing very hard to keep your pathetic asshole on the job in Singapore huh?That's all you can do just after making a mockery of yourself with the mixing of the contribution caps limit in Australia, and then in the same sentence, the salary ceiling in Singapore in the very same sentence, isn't it? 

The fact that so may Singaporeans in the tiny island are migrating into Australia every year is already a good testament to the quality of life that the people enjoy in Australia in comparison to Singapore. And yet, how many Australians has converted their citizenship to be a Singaporean? You keep your shit in your foreign trashy mouth instead of vomiting blasphemy onto Australia in your mudslinging activities here. No wonder you can't find a job in your own home country and people calls you foreign trash in Singapore, since nobody likes you anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Talk so much. Whatever the taxes are, at least they do a better job in caring for their own people by giving them access to free healthcare when the need arises. And even education in Government schools are free even though things such as they ask parents to pay contribution fees and charges for materials and stationery, textbooks, etc which are not covered under government funding. And last but not least, at least work-life balance is far better than that in Australia and property prices so much cheaper too! 

That is what this entire topic "I do not mind paying 40% tax to Singapore" is all about!! So much for your usual digression all over the place just so that you can act as some kind of a mouthpiece to the establishment. Doing very hard to keep your pathetic asshole on the job in Singapore huh?That's all you can do just after making a mockery of yourself with the mixing of the contribution caps limit in Australia, and then in the same sentence, the salary ceiling in Singapore in the very same sentence, isn't it? 

The fact that so may Singaporeans in the tiny island are migrating into Australia every year is already a good testament to the quality of life that the people enjoy in Australia in comparison to Singapore. And yet, how many Australians has converted their citizenship to be a Singaporean? You keep your shit in your foreign trashy mouth instead of vomiting blasphemy onto Australia in your mudslinging activities here. No wonder you can't find a job in your own home country and people calls you foreign trash in Singapore, since nobody likes you anywhere. 

You can come up with a lot. It is all non relevant and seems now just whining on the situation in Singapore and giving us a good reflection of your personal state.

You were the one who wrote this totally misleading false  thing about Singaporeans paying 37% income tax. It was not me.

Don't retract from your own deeds and misleading false statements. You want me to paste it into here again? Here you go:

On 12/30/2020 at 11:48 AM, Guest Guest said:

Actually, if you think about it, we are already paying close to 40% of "taxes". CPF contribution is actually 37% for Singaporeans, which is 20% by employeand another 17% by employeR if you are age 55 and below.  Effective tax for someone earning $40,000  is at 1.7%. So in short, you are already paying 38.4% "taxes" to the government every year which is comparable to the Scandy countries, but yet we are still paying so much for everything else. 

This is what you wrote. In a few words: Nonsense!

I don't permit you to run away from what you posted here and retract or deviate to other topics.

The point with the salary cap and contribution amounts you might not still have understood either due to your restricted personal point of view. I have sufficiently explained it. If you don't get it, it's your problem. I am not going to explain it another time. Other readers here would feel bored for repeating the same over and over.

You have made a mockery out of yourself in front of everyone here with your nonsense on comparing or judging CPF contributions as income tax for Singaporeans.

Don't blame others if you end up looking silly here at BW by your own posts.

Edited by singalion

35 minutes ago, singalion said:

You were the one who wrote this totally misleading false  thing about Singaporeans paying 37% income tax. It was not me.

Huh? Nobody said Singaporeans is paying 37% income tax. The post which you yourself actually quoted has very clearly stated that the "37%" is with reference to CPF contributions. Don't you know how to read?? Look at how you try to cheat by slowly inching the goalpost to your favor, and you are doing so by making baseless claims of what other have said, when they didn't even do that!

Actually, if you think about it, we are already paying close to 40% of "taxes". CPF contribution is actually 37% for Singaporeans, which is 20% by employeE and another 17% by employeR if you are age 55 and below. 

You have made a mockery out of yourself in front of everyone here with your nonsense. You have really slapped yourself in your own face by quoting evidence against yourself for everyone to see. How did you managed to survive as a foreign trash here in Singapore for so long?? 

Actually, if you think about it, we are already paying close to 40% of "taxes".  CPF contribution is actually 37% for Singaporeans, which is 20% by employeand another 17% by employeR if you are age 55 and below.  Effective tax for someone earning $40,000  is at 1.7%. So in short, you are already paying 38.4% "taxes" to the government every year which is comparable to the Scandy countries, but yet we are still paying so much for everything else.  

This is your own post above in full.

I do not need to further comment on it. Everyone here at BW and the world can read what your wrote! It is public. You can't escape on this. 🤣

You said there :

Quote start:

"Actually, if you think about it, we are already paying close to 40% of "taxes".   ...

"So in short, you [=Singaporeans] are already paying 38.4 "taxes" to the government every year..."

Quote end.

No need to cut out some snippets from your own post and make it look as if you had written something else and now even taking your own posts out of the context and starting futile attempts to save your face.

Trying to retract from what you wrote in your own post now is really hilarious.

You had clearly written this and stated Singaporeans are paying 38.4 % "taxes".

You are a 🤡🤡🤡

Case closed!

Edited by singalion

But isn't the use of scare quotes such as those around the word "taxes" already indicative of the skepticism or derision concerning the use of the enclosed word or phrase? That's the common practice in almost all the countries I have been to. Where are you from? You are making such a shameful embarrassment of yourself and giving all of us foreigners bad repute here on this forum. 

19 hours ago, singalion said:

But please stop in painting a picture as if Singaporeans are so less well off compared to Foreigners in Singapore, when it comes to CPF.

This statement really set me looking into the CPF contribution and tax payment by locals and foreigners. 

A Singaporean earning $2000/mth will need to pay $4800/yr into CPF and $0 tax, making his take-home salary to be $19,920/yr or $1660/mth. A foreigner on employment passes earning the same salary pays the same taxes but no CPF, making his take-home salary $24,000/yr or $2000/mth, which is 20% higher than a Singaporean.

A Singaporean earning $4,000/mth will need to pay $9600/yr into CPF and $544.4 tax, making his take-home salary to be $39,295.6/yr or $3,274.6/mth. A foreigner on employment passes earning the same salary pays the same taxes but no CPF, making his take-home salary $47,455.6/yr or $3,954.6/mth, which is 21% higher than a Singaporean.

A Singaporean earning $6,000/mth will need to pay $14,400/yr into CPF and $1,933.2 tax, making his take-home salary to be $57,826.8/yr or $4,818.9/mth. A foreigner on employment passes earning the same salary pays the same taxes but no CPF, making his take-home salary $70,066.8/yr or $5,838.9/mth, which is 21% higher than a Singaporean.

A Singaporean earning $8,000/mth will need to pay $14,400/yr into CPF and $3,782 tax, making his take-home salary to be $79,977/yr or $6,664/mth. A foreigner on employment passes earning the same salary pays the same taxes but no CPF, making his take-home salary $92,217/yr or $7,685/mth, which is 15% higher than a Singaporean.

A Singaporean earning $10k/mth will need to pay $14,400/yr into CPF and $6,542 tax, making his take-home salary to be $101k/yr or $8,434/mth. A foreigner on employment passes earning the same salary pays the same taxes but no CPF, making his take-home salary $113k/yr or $9454/mth, which is 12% higher than a Singaporean.

So far, in all cases of a foreigner earning a salary of $10k and less in Singapore, Singaporeans are indeed less well-off compared to Foreigners in Singapore. You have to thank @singalion for highlighting this point for investigations here. 

And by the way, some of us here are foreigners, and different ones too. But I'm definitely not one who will try to associate myself to you, after all the embarrassment you created for yourself. 

47 minutes ago, singalion said:

And you are pretending to be a Foreigner now?

Or why do you use the words 'all of us foreigners'?

Sorry, I m not taking up your credits for your continued failure to recognise what CPF is about .

Second, I would not contribute to any statements which are only intended to hit out on Foreigners.

I guess most guys here are already laughing their head off on your futile efforts in trying to make Singaporeans look discriminated or less well treated in their own country.

Thanks for your nice calculations.

You still want to ride on this misleading story and pretend Singaporeans are less well off because they contribute to CPF and draw a conclusion foreigner are better treated because they do not contribute in paying CPF?  

Why don't you tell the Singaporeans here what happens with the monies going into CPF?

Are these CPF payments lost monies? 

The government takes in these monies like taxes and uses these monies for public spending?

Have you ever understood what CPF is about???

You seem to really enjoy yourself to repeatedly crown yourself as the biggest laughing stock of BW...

As again it is futile to discuss anything with you here, due to your lack of understanding things.

It seems you are a very hopeless case.

I will rest here.

Second, I would not contribute to any statements which are only intended to hit out on Foreigners.

But yet, there you are, contributing your statements again and again and again...  

46 minutes ago, singalion said:

Why don't you tell the Singaporeans here what happens with the monies going into CPF?

What happens with the monies going into CPF? It goes into the payment of vaccination and SHN for long term pass holders like you. 

I was watching this travel show. An older person in Russia said they were much happier when Russia was communist because the government took care of all their medical and other needs. They worked and enjoyed life and were always happy. Now that Russia is democratic, they have to worry about their medical bills and insurance and etc. 

This then reminds me of people in Finland who pay a lot of tax but are also very happy because education and medicines are free. They too don’t have to worry about their future. 

I know where the TS is coming from.

1 hour ago, nerrad said:

I was watching this travel show. An older person in Russia said they were much happier when Russia was communist because the government took care of all their medical and other needs. They worked and enjoyed life and were always happy. Now that Russia is democratic, they have to worry about their medical bills and insurance and etc. 

This then reminds me of people in Finland who pay a lot of tax but are also very happy because education and medicines are free. They too don’t have to worry about their future. 

I know where the TS is coming from.

A Yank and a Russian were quarreling.  

'In the US of A, I can criticize our president anytime anywhere.'

'What's the big deal.  I can also do so in the Soviet Union.'

Did I miss @upshotcircumnavigating A Bird In Hand Is Better Than Two In The Woods?

12 hours ago, wilfgene said:

A Yank and a Russian were quarreling.  

'In the US of A, I can criticize our president anytime anywhere.'

'What's the big deal.  I can also do so in the Soviet Union.'

Did I miss @upshotcircumnavigating A Bird In Hand Is Better Than Two In The Woods?

huh? heheh...

On 12/31/2020 at 6:54 PM, Guest Guest said:

What happens with the monies going into CPF? It goes into the payment of vaccination and SHN for long term pass holders like you.

Thanks for this. It just shows that you know nothing and are just putting up nonsense! Since when do CPF monies go into public spending?

https://www.moh.gov.sg/cost-financing/healthcare-schemes-subsidies/medisave

MediSave is a national medical savings scheme that helps individuals set aside part of their income to pay for their personal or approved dependents’ hospitalisation, day surgery and certain outpatient expenses, as well as their healthcare needs in old age.

People who don't pay into Medisave or Medishild premiums (= all those who don't contribute to CPF) don't receive any payments or benefits from these schemes.

Please show us that any CPF funds are used to pay for Foreigners or Long Term Pass Holders in Singapore or anywhere. Please give us evidence!

(Opposition politicians in Singapore who dared to come up with such statements would face hefty defamation claims...)

You are nothing than putting up new untruths and myths.

But thanks for this, because you make everyone aware at BW not to trust any of your posts at BW.

Edited by singalion

3 hours ago, singalion said:

But thanks for this, because you make everyone aware at BW not to trust any of your posts at BW.

And anyone can trust you after the multiple posts like those below? 

On 12/31/2020 at 2:04 PM, singalion said:

Case closed!

On 12/31/2020 at 6:07 PM, singalion said:

I will rest here.

You have already lost your credibility over and over again. When are you truly and really going to "case closed" and "rest here"?

Hey .... they are YOUR words, not anyone's else. 

There is no further substance in your post.

Then, it means that I was right to say: CPF monies aren't used to fund any SHN costs and vaccinations of Long Term Pass Holders and it also means your earlier response posted simply new nonsense again not based by any facts and it was an untrue not creditable post of yours. 

So, we can conclude, the matter is closed.

53 minutes ago, singalion said:

There is no further substance in your post.

Then, it means that I was right to say: CPF monies aren't used to fund any SHN costs and vaccinations of Long Term Pass Holders and it also means your earlier response posted simply new nonsense again not based by any facts and it was an untrue not creditable post of yours. 

So, we can conclude, the matter is closed.

Yes, those money that were used to fund the SHN costs and vaccinations of Long Term Pass Holders all grew from trees. 

8 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Yes, those money that were used to fund the SHN costs and vaccinations of Long Term Pass Holders all grew from trees. 

Government are slowing down if not pausing on-going construction projects, especially the mega ones. They r also cutting cost/reassessing their budget. This is one way the government is trying to be more frugal after spending so much...

8 hours ago, singalion said:

I guess from trees in your brain? 😂

Or maybe you are seeing that pot of gold in the sand where your head is stuck in? 

2 hours ago, nerrad said:

Government are slowing down if not pausing on-going construction projects, especially the mega ones. They r also cutting cost/reassessing their budget. This is one way the government is trying to be more frugal after spending so much...

I see... so what you are saying is the government is "pausing on-going construction projects, especially the mega ones" and "also cutting cost/reassessing their budget" which is done supposedly all so for the real physical tangible benefit of this country, just to fund the SHN costs and vaccinations of Long Term Pass Holders?? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.