Male HQ

All about Covid-19 Discussion in Singapore (compiled)

Guest Guest

12 minutes ago, Guest M.A.S.K. said:

There's been a run of surgical masks in the US because of the coronavirus scare. You don't need them, physicians say

(CNN)In Wuhan, China, where the novel coronavirus has killed at least 106 people and sickened 4,515 more, wearing face masks is mandatory.

Half a world way in the US, major retailers are selling out of basic surgical masks amid panic from consumers.(So far, there have been five confirmed cases of coronavirus here.

Surgical masks are a basic defense against some viruses, and they may be helpful in communities where health officials suspect viruses are circulating widely. But in the US, there's no need to wear surgical masks -- or the N95 respirators physicians wear when treating viruses -- says infectious disease expert Dr. Charles Chiu. There's no evidence of sustained novel coronavirus transmission in the US like there is in China, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has not recommended Americans wear masks in public.

"Right now, there's no evidence that [wearing face masks] is going to help prevent that infection," Chiu, a professor of laboratory medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, told CNN. "I would not recommend that someone in the US who does not have direct exposure, did not recently travel to China...or in general that you go buy a face mask."

Physicians wear masks, but the US public shouldn't

Americans are scooping up two kinds of masks, the CDC doesn't recommend public citizens wear either of them.

Surgical masks: While they do protect from large respiratory droplets (a spray from a sneeze or mucus from a cough), they don't prevent against airborne droplets. Surgical masks aren't considered respiratory protection by the CDC because they don't filter smaller particles, and therefore isn't effective in totally preventing coronavirus transmission. "Wearing a surgical mask helps you prevent sharing your germs if you're sick," Saskia Popescu, a hospital epidemiologist and infection prevention expert, told CNN. "Surgical masks do not seal around the face, so while they offer some protection, it's the N95 mask that offers the most protection."

N95 respirators: Should you wear an N95 respirator depends on whether you're a physician involved in a particular task.

The CDC does recommend that healthcare providers wear N95 respirators, face masks that filter at least 95% of airborne particles, if they treat a patient infected with the novel coronavirus.

In the case of SARS, another type of coronavirus, a large amount of infections originated in hospitals among healthcare workers treating infected people, Chiu said. So now, doctors follow the same strict precautions and wear gowns, gloves, N95 respirators and goggles to reduce their likelihood of infection. So unless you're treating a patient with the coronavirus, the N95 respirator isn't necessary, he said.

Another reason not to wear an N95 mask: Physicians are also regularly fitted for the N95 respirators, and there's a proper way to wear them to ensure there's no open space and the mask fits snugly against the face. People with no medical training might wear it incorrectly, Popescu said.

Plus, Chiu said, N95 respirators are "quite uncomfortable" to wear for long periods of time -- and taking it off negates the effects of wearing it.

Masks could give wearers a false sense of security

In China's Heibo Province where the coronavirus is thought to be actively spreading, surgical masks aren't a fail-safe, but they're "better than nothing," Popescu said. But in the US, Chiu said, wearing a mask could give wearers a "false sense of security," he said: If concerned people wear a surgical mask, usually made out of thin fabric or paper, they may not continually wash their hands or fear contact with infected people.

"That's really not the nature of transmission," he said. "That's thought to be contact transmission -- touching infected surfaces, touching the eyes and nose." Chiu and the CDC recommend what he calls "common-sense measures": Avoid contact with ill people, stay home from work when sick, thoroughly wash hands with soap. The CDC's recommendations for response in the US could change as the situation does. But at this point, Americans don't need to wear masks in public. "We should certainly continue to monitor the situation closely, but right now is not the time to panic," he said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/28/health/coronavirus-us-masks-prevention-trnd/index.html

I really have a very strong opinion against this type of advise when people suggest against the idea of not wearing mask even though the mask wearers are not sick. 

Yes, N95 mask and surgical mask may not protect uninfected mask wearers 100%. But what if the infected were still within the 14 days period incubation period and he sneezed onto you during the time when he himself was non-symptomatic? For the lack of a better analogy, it's almost akin to telling people that nobody really needs to take PrEP, as long as the HIV+ people wear condoms when they are having sex. Such protective responsibilities lies on both sides of the coin: the uninfected should take measures to prevent himself from getting infected, and the infected should take extra care not to spread the virus. 

I cannot phantom out any reasons why authorities (and even any government) would want to discourage anyone from taking extra precautions to protect themselves. If there is a lack of mask to go around, the government should work to get more into the country as soon as possible. Discouraging the use of mask by those who are not infected is almost a sure-fire way to increase the spread of the virus to the uninfected, when the number of infected is increasing so rapidly now. 

I won't be surprised if the very people who are discouraging the uninfected from wearing masks, are hypocritical enough to be hoarding loads of mask at their own homes right now.  Let's see if we see any Ministers or MPs going around wearing their own mask from now on, OK?  

57 minutes ago, Guest Indiana Jone said:

How come india no have?  Fishy right.

52 minutes ago, mate69 said:

Very very surprising that the UK and NZ don't have any cases

Those are not the popular destinations that the PRCs will visit, so the outbreak there will come only later.

However, EU countries like France already have their first cases reported, and Germany already had their first few cases spread by a PRC who passed it on to her colleagues during her business trip. 

55 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

NZ  a bit too far but ya UK a matter of time but british airways had stop all flghts to china as a precaution. 

BA is still flying to HK. Many cities are in lock down. Chinese govt had already placed many restrictions on travel. Companies are not sending staffs to china, tourism is in standstill.

So BA not flying to china could be economics..those who still wish to fly out to UK will have ways to reach UK.

I feel so amazing how the virus can be effectively spread across the globe. If there is a reward for best virus of the year, it would be coronavirus. As though the virus got its own thinking, I want to replicate n infect n conquer the world. Its like a viral meme but now is being used on itself the viral virus.

Guest Ho Seh Ya?

India is not very centralised govt as compared to China.  If India kena, it will spread like fire due to its own 3rd world unhygienic county.  There was no proper sanitation and their water is largely polluted.  If India Kena Wuhan Virus.  All flights from india will be banned in Singapore.  Imagine no flight from China and India to Singapore,  Singapore Ho Seh liao....very peaceful with no more lunch stealing of jobs.  Businessmen will treat Singaporeans like a real gem to be treasured and back to those days we feel proud to be Singaporeans again. 

Update on the Wuhan coronavirus

Three more confirmed cases
As of 30 January 2020, 2pm, MOH has confirmed three more cases of Wuhan coronavirus infection, bringing the total number to 13.

All 13 cases are Chinese nationals from Wuhan. There is currently no evidence of community spread in Singapore.

None of the previously announced cases are critically ill. All are in stable condition, and most are improving.

Contact tracing for all confirmed cases are ongoing.

Stay updated at:
🔘 www.moh.gov.sg (MOH website)
🔘 https://go.gov.sg/wuhancases (Timeline of confirmed cases)

Guest Hooray!!

1 Feb 2020 (noon) onwards - all holders of China passport banned from entering into Singapore.  Horray!!!!! I hope it is forever like that.  I am monitoring India situation.  I hope their govt don't cover up cases because Wuhan Virus is not something a country can avoid now.

8 hours ago, Guest U Tell Me said:

Now whenever I hear someone spoke with a China accent near me,  I dissappeared at the speed of light.   Was it just me  behaving normally?

Actually irregardless of china or not, as long when u cough, someone will look at your direction but the strange thing is from my observation only about 15% wear mask then how come mask out of stock? Are the chinese, hongkong,  korean, taiwanese and japanese buy back in bulks, these are the places where mask are out of stock and the percentage of those wearing mask easily hit 70 to 80%. Or are local stocking up preparing for the worst situations, even if not when indonesia start to burn forest also can use. ...or simply buy cheap and sell online for profits. Relevant dept need to look into it. 

2 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

first two cases in Uk tested positive,  only africa is safe for now. 

46 minutes ago, AFter8 said:

Latin America is also spared.

Not for long. Locusts fly everywhere. At least Singapore is going to ban everyone (regardless of nationality) who travelled to Mainland China in the last 14 days for entry into, or transit through Singapore. A visa suspension for PRC passport holders is also now effective immediately. Previously issued visas will also be suspended. Returning Singapore Citizens, PRs and long-term visa holders will be allowed but placed under a 14-day Leave of Absence.

As everybody knows the Wuhan virus scare is all over the MSM, ministers and PM are talking about it non stop. Soldiers are even ropped in to help in packing millions of masks, whatsapp groups are buzzing with latest news which MSM are not reporting. WHO also declared it as emergency!

All these are causing me immense stress and fear. Since CNY, my life has taken a toll. I cannot eat, cannot sleep as I constantly think of ways to protect myself. Worst is I cannot get my hands on facemask.

I do not wish to venture out of my house, I close all windows and curtains as a way of keeping the virus at bay. I order grab food and ask the grab guy to leave food at door step. I only open the door to take the food in full gear..goggles, gloves and held my breath. Once food is in, I take it to a room, change gloves and discard the boxes immediately. I also microwave the food on high for 5 mins to kill all viruses.

I no longer have desire for sex as who knows if he had been to china or had sex with people from wuhan. I also distance myself from friends for same reason.

My leave will end soon and may take no pay leave till this nightmare ends! I am feeling so wuhan over this wuhan virus. Who else is feeling the same way?

Last updated: February 1, 2020, 08:15 GMT

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Confirmed Cases and Deaths by Country

(Affecting 27 countries and territories)

Country Cases Deaths Region
China 11,825 259 Asia
Thailand 19 0 Asia
Japan 17 0 Asia
Singapore 16 0 Asia
Hong Kong 13 0 Asia
South Korea 12 0 Asia
Australia 12 0 Australia/Oceania
Taiwan 10 0 Asia
Malaysia 8 0 Asia
United States 7 0 North America
Germany 7 0 Europe
Macao 7 0 Asia
Vietnam 6 0 Asia
France 6 0 Europe
United Arab Emirates 4 0 Asia
Canada 4 0 North America
Russia 2 0 Europe
Italy 2 0 Europe
United Kingdom 2 0 Europe
Cambodia 1 0 Asia
Philippines 1 0 Asia
Nepal 1 0 Asia
India 1 0 Asia
Finland 1 0 Europe
Sweden 1 0 Europe
Sri Lanka 1 0 Asia
Spain 1 0 Europe

TRANSMISSION RATE (Ro)
(Estimated for 2019-nCoV)
INCUBATION PERIOD
(Estimated for 2019-nCoV [10][11])
COUNTRIES AND TERRITORIES
(Affected by 2019-nCoV)

Quick Facts :

• The Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) originating from Wuhan, China, has now spread to 27 countries and territories worldwide, with 11,987 confirmed cases and 259 deaths as of February 1, 2020, 08:15 GMT.
  • On January 31, the first 2 novel coronavirus cases in the UK, [18] the first 2 cases in Russia, [20] and the first case in Sweden and in Spain have been reported. Canada reported its 4th case.
  • On January 30, 2020, the novel coronavirus total case count surpassed that for SARS (which affected 8,096 people worldwide).
  • In the United States, there are 6 cases confirmed by the CDC: 1 in Arizona, 2 in California, 1 in Washington state, and 2 in Illinois. More info. On Jan. 30 CDC confirmed the first US case of human to human transmission[17].
  • Wuhan (the city where the virus originated) is the largest city in Central China, with a population of over 11 million people. The city, on January 23, shut down transport links. Following Wuhan lockdown, the city of Huanggang was also placed in quarantine, and the city of Ezhou closed its train stations. This means than 18 million people have been placed in isolation. The World Health Organization (WHO) said cutting off a city as large as Wuhan is "unprecedented in public health history."[12] and praised China for its incredible commitment to isolate the virus and minimize the spread to other countries.
  • Germany, Japan, Vietnam and the United States have reported cases in patients who didn't personally visit China, but contracted the virus from someone else who had visited Wuhan, China[15]. These cases of human to human transmission are the most worrisone, according to the WHO[16].

How dangerous is the virus?

A pathogen’s harmfulness is determined by the combination of its transmission rate (Ro, reproductive number) and its case fatality rate (CFR), so we'll examine these two parameters below.

How contagious is the Wuhan Coronavirus? (Ro)

The attack rate or transmissibility (how rapidly the disease spreads) of a virus is indicated by its reproductive number (Ro, pronounced R-nought or r-zero), which represents the average number of people who will catch the disease from a single infected person.

A more recent study is indicating a Ro as high as 4.08.[22]. This value substantially exceeds WHO's estimate (made on Jan. 23) of between 1.4 and 2.5[13], and is also higher than recent estimates between 3.6 and 4.0 and between 2.24 to 3.58 [23]. Preliminary studies had estimated Ro to be between 1.5 and 3.5 [5][6][7]

Based on these numbers, on average every case of the Novel Coronavirus would create 3 to 4 new cases.

An outbreak with a reproductive number of below 1 will gradually disappear.

For comparison, the Ro for the common flu is 1.3 and for SARS it was 2.0.

Fatality Rate (case fatality ratio or CFR) of the Wuhan Coronavirus

See full details: Wuhan Coronavirus Fatality Rate

The novel coronavirus' case fatality rate is currently estimated at around 2%, according to the WHO [16] on January 29, 2020. A prior estimate [9] had put that number at 3%, between 2% and 4%). Fatality rate can change as a virus can mutate, according to epidemiologists.

Once the province Hubei (where the epicenter Wuhan is situated) is removed from the calculation, the national (China) mortality rate drops to 0.3%. Within the Hubei province, the mortality rate is about 1% when excluding the city of Wuhan (where it is 5.5%).

For comparison, the case fatality rate with seasonal flu is less than 0.01% (1 death per every 10,000 cases)[8]. Mortality rate for SARS was 10%, and for MERS 34%.

Incubation Period (how long it takes for symptoms to appear)

See full details: Wuhan Coronavirus Incubation Period

Symptoms of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 (estimated ranges vary from 2-10 days, 2-14 days, and 10-14 days, see details), during which the virus is contagious but the patient does not display any symptom (asymptomatic transmission).

Age and conditions of Coronavirus cases

According to the WHO Situation Report no. 7 issued on Jan. 27:
  • The median age of cases detected outside of China is 45 years, ranging from 2 to 74 years.
  • 71% of cases were male.

The WHO, in its Myth busters FAQs, addresses the question: "Does the new coronavirus affect older people, or are younger people also susceptible?" by answering that:

• People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
  • Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.

alert.png Serious Cases of 30 year olds

Critical demographic data that seems to suggest that the novel coronavirus can be dangerous for people of any age, can be derived from what has been reported about 2 patients in France who are now being treated in intensive care in Paris: it is a young couple aged 30 and 31 years old, both Chinese citizens from Wuhan who were asymptomatic when they arrived in Paris on January 18 [19].

The China National Health Commission reported the details of the first 17 deaths up to 24 pm 22 Jan 2020. The deaths included 13 males and 4 females. The median age of the deaths was 75 (range 48-89) years.[21]

Worldometer is conducting further research on case and deaths demographics and will update soon with its findings.

WHO Risk Assessment: Global Emergency

See full details: WHO coronavirus updates

On January 30, the World Health Organization has declared the coronavirus outbreak a Global Public Health Emergency.

For more information from the WHO regarding novel coronavirus: WHO page on Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

Comparisons:

• Every year an estimated 290,000 to 650,000 people die in the world due to complications from seasonal influenza (flu) viruses. This figure corresponds to 795 to 1,781 deaths per day due to the seasonal flu.
  • SARS (Nov. 2002 - Jul. 2003): was a coronavirus that originated from Beijing, China, spread to 29 countries, with 8,096 people infected and 774 deaths (with a fatality rate of 9.6%). Considering that SARS ended up infecting 5,237 people in mainland China, Wuhan Coronavirus surpassed SARS on January 29, 2020, when Chinese officials confirmed 5,974 cases of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). One day later, on January 30, 2020 the novel coronavirus cases surpassed even the 8,096 cases worldwide representing the final SARS count in 2003.
  • MERS (2012) killed 858 people out of the 2,494 infected (with a fatality rate of 34.4%).

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

All these are causing me immense stress and fear. Since CNY, my life has taken a toll. I cannot eat, cannot sleep as I constantly think of ways to protect myself. Worst is I cannot get my hands on

My leave will end soon and may take no pay leave till this nightmare ends! I am feeling so wuhan over this wuhan virus. Who else is feeling the same way?

I finally meet my match!

Guest Cleanly Teacher

Dear Moderators ... do we really need multiple threads about the coronavirus on Blowing Wind ... or should they all be combined together as one?

In addition to this thread, there is also ... Cannot See Handsome Men Because Of Mask created on Thursday, Would You Still Do Anonymous Sex During Corona Virus Outbreak created about 11 hours later on Thursday, Who Else Is Feeling Wu Han Over The Wuhan Virus created a few hours ago, and Is It Just Me Or Is Whole SG Very Quiet Because Of Coronavirus Outbreak created even fewer hours ago ... meaning there are five different coronavirus threads (so far). Is this necessary or would the community be better off having one mega-thread to discuss everything related to the coronavirus?

The "Handsome Men" thread is simply vapid, and I can see an argument for leaving the "Anonymous Sex" thread separate, but the others overlap.

8 minutes ago, Guest Cleanly Teacher said:

Dear Moderators ... do we really need multiple threads about the coronavirus on Blowing Wind ... or should they all be combined together as one?

In addition to this thread, there is also ... Cannot See Handsome Men Because Of Mask created on Thursday, Would You Still Do Anonymous Sex During Corona Virus Outbreak created about 11 hours later on Thursday, Who Else Is Feeling Wu Han Over The Wuhan Virus created a few hours ago, and Is It Just Me Or Is Whole SG Very Quiet Because Of Coronavirus Outbreak created even fewer hours ago ... meaning there are five different coronavirus threads (so far). Is this necessary or would the community be better off having one mega-thread to discuss everything related to the coronavirus?

The "Handsome Men" thread is simply vapid, and I can see an argument for leaving the "Anonymous Sex" thread separate, but the others overlap.

Yes, it is all has something to do with the coronavirus, but they are all different aspects of life mah ...

Similarly, just because you are all born of the same mother and father, doesn't mean that all of you must all live under the same roof forever, right? 

Anyway, the issue is getting quite serious, and everything we are all thinking about is just the nCoV nowadays. Don't tell me we all merge the whole BW into one big topic from now on huh? 

6 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Yes, it is all has something to do with the coronavirus, but they are all different aspects of life mah ...

Similarly, just because you are all born of the same mother and father, doesn't mean that all of you must all live under the same roof forever, right? 

Anyway, the issue is getting quite serious, and everything we are all thinking about is just the nCoV nowadays. Don't tell me we all merge the whole BW into one big topic from now on huh? 

I can’t agree more with Guest2’s reply. And with more and more people working from home for various personal safety reasons, more threads just mean more avenues to air our views and keep our minds sane and occupied instead of suffering from an acute sense of loss or emptiness, so to speak.. 😎

12 hours ago, Guest Cleanly Teacher said:

-----

I agree.  The topic is rather morbid and there is not much to comment about , but one should read the latest in the news and take precautions.

The "Cannot see  Handsome Men because of mask" thread is from some abominable mind who makes fun of what is a very serious subject.  It should be deleted.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Hairy bird
47 minutes ago, fugues said:

Now there is bird flu in Hunan province which is even more deadly !

Can't imagine the Wuhan virus cross breed with the bird flu. All birds can become potential carrier and speed far and wide. 

I think there’s some fear that it will cross over to birds from the early warnings from authorities to avoid contact with live animals, birds and poultry, this being a zoonotic virus.

In China there are people allegedly getting rid of their pets by throwing them out the windows.

Thai medics claim coronavirus break-through: Patient is declared 'disease-free' in 48 hours using HIV and flu drugs

Thailand has reportedly seen promising results after treating a coronavirus patient with a mix of two antiviral drugs which are usually used to treat HIV. Medics tested the drug mix on a patient who was in a 'serious condition' with the disease and within 48 hours they were declared disease-free, reports Bloomberg.

The drugs, originally used for HIV and influenza treatment, were a success according to a medical briefing given by Dr Kriangsak Attipornwanich.

Thailand has seen 19 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, 11 patients are still in hospital but the rest have been able to return home. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7957889/Thai-medics-claim-coronavirus-break-Patient-declared-disease-free-48-hours.html

10 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Thai medics claim coronavirus break-through: Patient is declared 'disease-free' in 48 hours using HIV and flu drugs

Thailand has reportedly seen promising results after treating a coronavirus patient with a mix of two antiviral drugs which are usually used to treat HIV. Medics tested the drug mix on a patient who was in a 'serious condition' with the disease and within 48 hours they were declared disease-free, reports Bloomberg.

The drugs, originally used for HIV and influenza treatment, were a success according to a medical briefing given by Dr Kriangsak Attipornwanich.

Thailand has seen 19 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, 11 patients are still in hospital but the rest have been able to return home. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7957889/Thai-medics-claim-coronavirus-break-Patient-declared-disease-free-48-hours.html

In the absence of clinical data to work on novel drugs, and in the race against crucial time, this is indeed good news should more affected patients get cured this way. Cheers to hunanity! 🍾🙏🏼

The drug treatment includes a mixture of anti-HIV drugs lopinavir and ritonavir, in combination with flu drug oseltamivir in large doses.

Chinese health officials have already been administering the HIV and flu drugs to fight the coronavirus. The use of the three together in a cocktail seemed to improve the treatment, the Thai doctors said.

Somsak said the health ministry will meet on Monday to discuss the successful treatment in the case of the 70-year-old but said it is still too soon to say that this approach can be applied to all cases.

“Initially we will apply this approach only to severe cases,” he said.

https://www.physiciansweekly.com/cocktail-of-flu-hiv/

Guest Neh Neh

I laugh at those panicked people, si bei kia si lang gone to phamacies and buy expensive vitamin C, antiseptic, ect...

Little do they know Snake Leave 蛇草 which can see anywhere in HDB estate or even remote roadside can do the miracle to anti inflamation and poison and boost immunity. But 体虚寒 people can not take 蛇草 much.

6 hours ago, Guest Neh Neh said:

I laugh at those panicked people, si bei kia si lang gone to phamacies and buy expensive vitamin C, antiseptic, ect...

Little do they know Snake Leave 蛇草 which can see anywhere in HDB estate or even remote roadside can do the miracle to anti inflamation and poison and boost immunity. But 体虚寒 people can not take 蛇草 much.

Neh Neh!

It's not good to laugh at panicked people.  Even less at physically weak people!

The most expert minds in biochemistry, infectious diseases in the world are looking at how to combat coronaviruses. 

Your "snake oil" remedy should not be taken seriously,  except maybe for some "placebo effect".

8 hours ago, Guest Neh Neh said:

I think when people are panic,  they will start to grab whatever things that they can get hold of, anxiety get over rational but i think SG is still not so bad, govt keep advised people only when u r sick u need to wear mask but in Taiwan,  is like everyone fight for the mask with some queueing for a few hours and still cannot get one.

• G_M changed the title to All about Covid-19 Discussion in Singapore (compiled)
  • G_M locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic