Male HQ

Bangkok ( Thailand ) Covid-19 Discussion

gpfun

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#COVID19 situation in Thailand as of 22 July 2020

Thailand reported 6 new confirmed cases from people on repatriation flights and in state quarantine centers, with 0 deaths reported; the total remains at 3,261 infections, and 58 deaths.

😷New Confirmed Cases: 6

🦠Cumulative number of cases: 3,261 (+6)

🩺Receiving medical treatments: 75

👍🏻Recoveries: 3,105

📣Fatalities: 58 (+0)

Thailand’s cabinet and its emergency covid response center said on Wednesday it will extend the State of Emergency act by one month despite activists and protesters demanding its end.

The government has said that the coronavirus situation remains precarious and that the emergency decree is needed to ensure close cooperation between intergovernmental agencies and to restrict the movement of people into the country.

Despite the existence of the decree, government slip ups have resulted in the partial closure of Rayong province after an administrative error saw Egyptian officials avoiding state quarantine and enter the country. An Egyptian official later tested positive for the virus.

Political analysts and activists have also questioned the extension of the decree as Thailand has not seen a coronavirus case outside of state quarantine in two months.

#COVID19 situation in Thailand as of 23 July 2020

Thailand reported 8 new confirmed cases from people on repatriation flights and in state quarantine centers, with 0 deaths reported; the total remains at 3,269 infections, and 58 deaths.

😷New Confirmed Cases: 8

🦠Cumulative number of cases: 3,269 (+8)

🩺Receiving medical treatments: 106

👍🏻Recoveries: 3,105

Thailand’s testing rate is about 9,000 per 1 million population. Which is far far lower compared to most countries. That’s surely the reason for such low numbers. 

BANGKOK, 23 July 2020: The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) has hinted at the possibility of extending the international commercial flight ban according to the National News  Bureau of Thailand.

It coincides with reliable information from sources close to Thai Airways International suggesting the airline will not start international services until December.

I don't quite understand the ban on international flights. A friend of mine flew on Lufthansa from Bangkok to Frankfurt last Saturday. Today there are incoming and outgoing flights to Auckland, Amsterdam, Paris, Vienna, Dubai, Muscat, Doha, Addis Ababa, Bhutan, Kolkotta, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Macau, Manila, Singapore and Ho Chi Minh. At this stage almost four months after the ban on international flights, these cannot just be bringing back Thai national and repatriating tourists in Thailand. So who is taking these flights? THAI has three special flights to London in August but booking for these closed yesterday.

13 hours ago, subbtm said:

Thailand’s testing rate is about 9,000 per 1 million population. Which is far far lower compared to most countries. That’s surely the reason for such low numbers. 

That could be one reason. But Vietnam has had a smaller number of cases and no deaths. Both countries have been praised by the WHO. Are Vietnam's numbers totally wrong?

This recent article gives reasons for the low numbers in Thailand. It first appeared in The New York Times.

Social distancing is embedded in Thai culture . . .

There have been no overwhelmed hospitals in the country’s public hospital system. No dead bodies in the streets. No social media postings from frantic doctors or nurses. The country simply acted swiftly, and with a determined force . . . Thailand was quick to adopt the use of facemasks, close schools and enforce social distancing on public transport, even before declaring a national state of emergency and curfew, sealing its borders and forbidding interprovincial travel. Is that what prevented the runaway transmission of the virus here?

According to Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin, spokesman for the the country’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, says “It has to do with culture. Thai people do not have body contact when we greet each other. This is how the countries in the Mekong region greet each other as well.“

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/why-are-thailands-covid-19-numbers-so-low

Edited by InBangkok

2 hours ago, InBangkok said:

I don't quite understand the ban on international flights. A friend of mine flew on Lufthansa from Bangkok to Frankfurt last Saturday. Today there are incoming and outgoing flights to Auckland, Amsterdam, Paris, Vienna, Dubai, Muscat, Doha, Addis Ababa, Bhutan, Kolkotta, Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Macau, Manila, Singapore and Ho Chi Minh. At this stage almost four months after the ban on international flights, these cannot just be bringing back Thai national and repatriating tourists in Thailand. So who is taking these flights? THAI has three special flights to London in August but booking for these closed yesterday.

Those with work permit can travel too.

38 minutes ago, Sudu said:

Those with work permit can travel too.

Yes, they are one of 11 categories presently allowed to travel. Students on approved courses and those seeking medical treatment are also permitted but not treatment for covid19). But there are more than 20 wide body aircraft arriving daily. It's hard to believe that these are carrying only those in the 11 categories. For example, foreigners who are permanent residents can travel. But the total number permitted permanent residency per year is only about 100.

38 minutes ago, Sudu said:

They are also carrying cargo

I am certain you are right, but most of the space on the large A330s, A350s, A380s, 777s and 787s is for passengers. Cargo aircraft have never been banned during Thailand's lockdown and I am sure the cargo terminal has been heavily used. I just cannot work out how it really makes any sort of financial sense to fly large passenger aircraft in to Thailand when there must be far more seats on board than filled by demand in and out. Just curious.

Maybe they are only taking one third of the capacity,  for example a 300 seat plane,  they only took 100 pax. By the category,  if someone arrange for a botox, medical checkup or a Thai language course,  would they be allowed to travel too? 

Edited by lonelyglobe

3 minutes ago, lonelyglobe said:

Maybe they are only taking one third of the capacity,  for example a 300 seat plane,  they only took 100 pax. By the category,  if someone arrange for a botox, medical checkup or a Thai language course,  would they be allowed to travel too? 

Technically yes. But they need to apply and queue, obtain thai gov permission as well as still need to quarantine for 14 days. And since its not visa free or tourist visa, length of stay might be limited only for the duration of the said reasons.

Edited by Sudu

13 hours ago, InBangkok said:

That could be one reason. But Vietnam has had a smaller number of cases and no deaths. Both countries have been praised by the WHO. Are Vietnam's numbers totally wrong?

This recent article gives reasons for the low numbers in Thailand. It first appeared in The New York Times.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/why-are-thailands-covid-19-numbers-so-low

I’ve read that article before. But i think it is too simplistic to owe it to greeting styles. India has the same greeting style as well, which was of course the reason why Thailand follows the same since it has deep roots in Buddhism and by extension, Hinduism. But yet India’s numbers are skyrocketing. And also, as much as it is a cultural greeting, norms have changed to adopt more western manners as well. Thai people do hug and shake hands when greeting friends and loved ones. I’ve seen that happen many a times. So it really can’t be attributed to the “prayer” greeting I think. The curious thing is that Thailand’s biggest tourists numbers come from

China and that Includes Wuhan. So it is quite

odd that the numbers are so low. Am not calling bluff but I am treading with caution. I love Thailand and I really wish I was there for a break but with this stupid virus...haiz.

New Covid cases in quarantine include returned soldiers

10 new patients are Thai 🇹🇭🇹🇭🇹🇭
Traveling from abroad. Staying at the watchful location that the cuddle states provide (State Quarantine).
On the way from
🇸🇩 1 Sudan
🇵🇰 1 Pakistan
🇩🇪 1 Germany
🇳🇱 1 Netherlands
🇺🇸 6 USA

8 hours ago, InBangkok said:

I am certain you are right, but most of the space on the large A330s, A350s, A380s, 777s and 787s is for passengers. Cargo aircraft have never been banned during Thailand's lockdown and I am sure the cargo terminal has been heavily used. I just cannot work out how it really makes any sort of financial sense to fly large passenger aircraft in to Thailand when there must be far more seats on board than filled by demand in and out. Just curious.

as far as we know 

all flight is banned coming in as passenger flight 

unless special permission given by Thai govt

SIA fly weekly 3 flight from BKK to SIN - Fri Sun Mon

So where the flight come from?

U go SQ site to check, there is no flight from SIN to BKK

BANGKOK: Young Thai political activists set fire to pictures of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha outside government house on Friday (Jul 24) and called for his resignation, as pressure builds on the generals who orchestrated a 2014 coup to leave office.
In the past week there have been small protests seeking to drive him from office in at least six provinces, while internal party squabbles have led to six cabinet members resigning.

Friday's demonstrators burned images of Prayut and his deputy, Prawit Wongsuwan, both former army chiefs.
"We want to burn the bad things in Thailand," said protester Niwiboon Chomphoo, 20, adding that Prayut remained in charge because of a constitution that was "unreliable and unfair for our democracy".

3 hours ago, subbtm said:

I’ve read that article before. But i think it is too simplistic to owe it to greeting styles. India has the same greeting style as well, which was of course the reason why Thailand follows the same since it has deep roots in Buddhism and by extension, Hinduism. But yet India’s numbers are skyrocketing. And also, as much as it is a cultural greeting, norms have changed to adopt more western manners as well. Thai people do hug and shake hands when greeting friends and loved ones. I’ve seen that happen many a times. So it really can’t be attributed to the “prayer” greeting I think. The curious thing is that Thailand’s biggest tourists numbers come from

China and that Includes Wuhan. So it is quite

odd that the numbers are so low. Am not calling bluff but I am treading with caution. I love Thailand and I really wish I was there for a break but with this stupid virus...haiz.

Precisely,  Thailand recieved 10.99 million China tourists while SG only had 3.63 million in 2019. The number of covid cases by end Feb in SG is about 100 but Thailand only 40. 

Apart from China,  their few top tourists arrival came from Japan, South Korea,  Russia and India. These are also some of the worst hit countries. Yes,  they may not shake hand but some of the activities that these tourists involved in are highly infectious, like massage, pubs and bar. Therefore it is really "amazing" that Thailand only had 3000+ cases till today.

Edited by Letsrelaxpp

8 hours ago, thickhead79 said:

as far as we know 

all flight is banned coming in as passenger flight 

unless special permission given by Thai govt

SIA fly weekly 3 flight from BKK to SIN - Fri Sun Mon

So where the flight come from?

U go SQ site to check, there is no flight from SIN to BKK

Jetstar Asia flies daily from SIN to BKK and return. Check the BKK real time Arrivals and Departure Pages. Still some international flights departing and arriving.A few have cancelled against them. Most do not.

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

9 hours ago, Letsrelaxpp said:

Precisely,  Thailand recieved 10.99 million China tourists while SG only had 3.63 million in 2019. The number of covid cases by end Feb in SG is about 100 but Thailand only 40. 

Apart from China,  their few top tourists arrival came from Japan, South Korea,  Russia and India. These are also some of the worst hit countries. Yes,  they may not shake hand but some of the activities that these tourists involved in are highly infectious, like massage, pubs and bar. Therefore it is really "amazing" that Thailand only had 3000+ cases till today.

I cannot vouch for the Thailand statistics, no more than I can vouch for those supplied by Singapore and other countries. All we can do is take figures issued by international bodies like the WHO. But to suggest the figures are wrong based purely on the home base of visitor numbers makes absolutely no sense in my view.

As for Singapore only having 3.63 Chinese tourists in 2019. Vietnam had 5.8 million tourists from China and shares a border with China. In January 2020 it had a record monthly total of Chinese visitors. Yet Vietnam has had zero covid19 deaths and only 413 cases! Why? Because years ago the government set up a special department to deal with pandemics and it acted very fast.

Hong Kong, part of China, had 55.91 million mainland Chinese visitors in 2019. It may now be going through a third phase, but even so it has done far better than Singapore, As of yesterday, Singapore has reported around 49,000 cases. Hong Kong had had less than one tenth of that number. Are you therefore suggesting that Hong Kong's figures must be wrong purely based on incoming tourist numbers? Surely not.

Edited by InBangkok

On 7/22/2020 at 2:26 PM, Since u r here said:

But zero local transmissn leh!!! How did they accomplish it??

Sometimes when I read news like this, I wonder if it is really because they have reduced testing. Even countries like Singapore have not done as much testing as they did during initial outbreak. The daily roundup of figures we get from the news are reported from positive cases via hospital admissions only.

So if a nation has stopped testing, then logically the numbers will definitely reduce, because the infected are not traced.

And if the infected do not go to hospital, then positive cases are definitely not traced. 

Thailand is not a small country by any stretch of the imagination, some states alone are the size of singapore, and not even 1 single new case?
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

(From the eyes of governance, it is better to report this so that 1. the economy can start to recover, 2. raise confidence amongst population)

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

4 hours ago, InBangkok said:

As of yesterday, Singapore has reported around 49,000 cases.

Out of these 49000, more than 40,000 are from migrant workers due to someone mess up the dormitory infection, take that out and our local transmission should be just a few thousand. But is strange that a lot of countries have migrant workers but seems like only SG faced this problem.  

32 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Thailand is not a small country by any stretch of the imagination, some states alone are the size of singapore, and not even 1 single new case?
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...

(From the eyes of governance, it is better to report this so that 1. the economy can start to recover, 2. raise confidence amongst population)

That is basically nonsense! Have you not seen what is happening in the United States? If the object is for the economy to recover - and tourism is by far the No. 1 earner with nearly 20% of GDP in 2019 - why doesn't Thailand just open the floodgates and let tourism rebound? Oh, I forgot. You think they are covering up statistics and would rather have Thais suffer and die. That is raising confidence in the population?? Polls show that a large majority of Thais do not want tourists to return yet.  And don't you realise that Vietnam has a larger population than Thailand with no deaths and few cases? It's obvious looking around the world that some countries are better than others at controlling the virus.

6 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

That is basically nonsense! Have you not seen what is happening in the United States? If the object is for the economy to recover - and tourism is by far the No. 1 earner with nearly 20% of GDP in 2019 - why doesn't Thailand just open the floodgates and let tourism rebound? Oh, I forgot. You think they are covering up statistics and would rather have Thais suffer and die. That is raising confidence in the population?? Polls show that a large majority of Thais do not want tourists to return yet.  And don't you realise that Vietnam has a larger population than Thailand with no deaths and few cases? It's obvious looking around the world that some countries are better than others at controlling the virus.

Well at this point, anything that is done should be done slowly with extra precaution. Because as seen in the US, UK, Sweden, what is implemented cannot so easily be retracted and undone.

I stand by my opinion that this is why countries tend to misreport figures, because with Covid, it has become a world stage where each country's performance is being ranked. While governments care about their people (where it benefits them), most of the time, things are done on a larger scale - economy, public perception, global standing etc. And there has been nothing quite as equalising as this virus in turning the tables and resetting the score, not since the last world war. And for a government that has shown questionable ethics, like hiring Cambridge Analytica to sway election results, I do not put this above them.

Sorry, but it is just my opinion. You don't have to agree, but as mentioned all the points above have validity. And from our sharing, my Thai friends, are not buying these figures either!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

4 hours ago, lonelyglobe said:

Out of these 49000, more than 40,000 are from migrant workers due to someone mess up the dormitory infection, take that out and our local transmission should be just a few thousand. But is strange that a lot of countries have migrant workers but seems like only SG faced this problem.  

Exactly! This is the case in Malaysia as of June 2020. Their refugees, migrant workers, infected and uninfected, are all locked in cages.

This is the reality for migrant populations, even Singaporean cabin crew friends in Dubai and other Emirates countries are not accounted for in the nation's count. 

101835252_10157401255530415_765350236135

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

1 minute ago, tomcat said:

I stand by my opinion that this is why countries tend to misreport figures, because with Covid, it has become a world stage where each country's performance is being ranked.

And you are entitled to your opinion and to express it. But I have heard this sort of argument before. It happens here in Thailand quite a lot. For the last 2 or 3 years expats who live in Pattaya (which I hardly ever go near) used regularly to do more than just complain in chat rooms that the official figures for Chinese tourist spending were ridiculous. All they saw were tourist buses and tour groups staying in cheapish hotels. So how could the average Chinese tourist spend anything like as much as government statistics stated? 

The fact is they assumed what they wanted to assume on the basis of what they saw. They did not consider the large Bangkok shopping malls which used to be pretty full of Chinese tourists buying a lot of merchandise from name brand boutiques. A great many Chinese spend a lot of money outside the country. The same was true of many Chinese visiting Europe and Australia. I remember meeting two young Chinese professional guys in a gay sauna in Hong Kong. They made four or five long week-end trips each year primarily for two reasons - shopping and sex.

When it comes to a pandemic, there may certainly be slight variations between reported cases and actual cases because of insufficient testing. However, since the government has announced that Thailand will not be open for mass tourism for many more months, I fail to see what good it does the country to underreport cases. My Thai friends here in Thailand believe the figures are probably accurate and that the government has actually - for once - done a good job in controlling the pandemic.

9 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

And you are entitled to your opinion and to express it. ...

Not sure what is happening here, but you are discussing china tourist spending power vs misreporting of covid cases.

Are you responding to someone else, by mistake? Because there is no connection, definitely not on the basis of what I was saying.

And just to be clear, tourism is not the country's only source of profit. It only makes up 20%, the rest are businesses, exports and agriculture.

So when I refer to Thailand's economy, it obviously does not just mean tourism. Hope that clarifies.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

5 hours ago, InBangkok said:

I cannot vouch for the Thailand statistics, no more than I can vouch for those supplied by Singapore and other countries. All we can do is take figures issued by international bodies like the WHO. But to suggest the figures are wrong based purely on the home base of visitor numbers makes absolutely no sense in my view.

As for Singapore only having 3.63 Chinese tourists in 2019. Vietnam had 5.8 million tourists from China and shares a border with China. In January 2020 it had a record monthly total of Chinese visitors. Yet Vietnam has had zero covid19 deaths and only 413 cases! Why? Because years ago the government set up a special department to deal with pandemics and it acted very fast.

Hong Kong, part of China, had 55.91 million mainland Chinese visitors in 2019. It may now be going through a third phase, but even so it has done far better than Singapore, As of yesterday, Singapore has reported around 49,000 cases. Hong Kong had had less than one tenth of that number. Are you therefore suggesting that Hong Kong's figures must be wrong purely based on incoming tourist numbers? Surely not.

I have to say HK is blessed with the street protest which saw a plunge of tourist from China,  otherwise the rate will not be just over a thousand. 

Theoretically speaking,  the more infected tourist came should be accompanIed with higher risk just like when u get fuck without any protection, the risk level will be different,  do it with 1 pax,  lucky u can getaway but with a hundred or thousand, your chance of getting sexual disease increase tremendously. 

3 hours ago, tomcat said:

Exactly! This is the case in Malaysia as of June 2020. Their migrant workers, infected and uninfected, are all locked in cages.

This is the reality for migrant workers, even Singaporean cabin crew friends in Dubai and other Emirates countries are not accounted for in the nation's count. 

101835252_10157401255530415_765350236135

Please use the correct term to explain above situation. Those are illegals, not migrant workers.... 

1 minute ago, Sudu said:

Please use the correct term to explain above situation. Those are illegals, not migrant workers.... 

I am afraid it is not a case of black and white. They are a mix of illegals and migrant workers.

Just FYI, any migrant worker that has had their work-permit lapsed or cancelled is by law automatically considered an illegal.

You can be a migrant worker on Monday, but if you are made redundant with permit cancelled, you are an illegal by Friday.

The hiring practices in Malaysia, which often favour the employer lets them do this onto the migrant workforce.

So this line of separation is highly ambiguous to the point that social welfare groups and human rights workers in Malaysia no longer see a need to discern.

Both groups are facing similar discrimination and mistreatment, and they both need help and acknowledgement.

Malaysia has been facing these issues, where 2 out of 5 migrant workers are illegal, or illegally employed (aka without proper permits).

If they are caught, they will be held in these detention facilities. 

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

I know Heidy personally, and this is the reality they are facing. There was a thinktank as Singapore was also facing similar migrant issues.
This post, she puts it plainly:

"Refugees, migrants, local Malaysians - it doesn't matter your documentation."

It brings home the fact that the only difference between illegal and migrant status is employment and documentation. 

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Not sure what is happening here, but you are discussing china tourist spending power vs misreporting of covid cases.

Are you responding to someone else, by mistake? Because there is no connection, definitely not on the basis of what I was saying.

And just to be clear, tourism is not the country's only source of profit. It only makes up 20%, the rest are businesses, exports and agriculture.

So when I refer to Thailand's economy, it obviously does not just mean tourism. Hope that clarifies.

Hmm! Was it not you who wrote this?

While governments care about their people (where it benefits them), most of the time, things are done on a larger scale - economy, public perception, global standing etc. 

Tou brought up the issue of countries submitting incorrect covid19 figures. You brought up the issue of the effect on economies. As far as Thailand is concerned, tourism is the country's highest earner and vast numbers of people are suffering with tourism all but dead. Tourism involves spending - and in Thailand it is the Chinese that spend a lot pf money. To state that there is no connection between your comments is, frankly, misleading at best. 

2 minutes ago, InBangkok said:

Hmm! Was it not you who wrote this?

Tou brought up the issue of countries submitting incorrect covid19 figures. You brought up the issue of the effect on economies. As far as Thailand is concerned, tourism is the country's highest earner and vast numbers of people are suffering with tourism all but dead. Tourism involves spending - and in Thailand it is the Chinese that spend a lot pf money. To state that there is no connection between your comments is, frankly, misleading at best. 

Looks like you misread what was posted and went off on your own tangent. I never mentioned China Tourist, highest earner or vast number of peoples suffering. That is your narrative that you projected on me. That is why I wanted to address that these are your thought creations, not mine. Sorry!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

23 minutes ago, tomcat said:

I am afraid it is not a case of black and white. They are a mix of illegals and migrant workers.

Just FYI, any migrant worker that has had their work-permit lapsed or cancelled is by law automatically considered an illegal.

You can be a migrant worker on Monday, but if you are made redundant with permit cancelled, you are an illegal by Friday.

The hiring practices in Malaysia, which often favour the employer lets them do this onto the migrant workforce.

So this line of separation is highly ambiguous to the point that social welfare groups and human rights workers in Malaysia no longer see a need to discern.

Both groups are facing similar discrimination and mistreatment, and they both need help and acknowledgement.

Malaysia has been facing these issues, where 2 out of 5 migrant workers are illegal, or illegally employed (aka without proper permits).

If they are caught, they will be held in these detention facilities. 

So in singapore or any other countries, once your lose your permit/visa, are u allowed to overstay and work illegally? You are not making sense... And those detain center are temporary detain center before they are beibg deported. Most of the time, their own motherland refuse to take them back. And most of malaysia's case are also from these detain center, and mass testing has been done with the positive being treated and isolated from other detainee. Get your fact right, there are issues with how some migrant workers being treated but if you just lump everything together, no one will trust what u say and shows that you just want to keep bashing without knowing your facts.

2 minutes ago, Sudu said:

So in singapore or any other countries, once your lose your permit/visa, are u allowed to overstay and work illegally? You are not making sense... And those detain center are temporary detain center before they are beibg deported. Most of the time, their own motherland refuse to take them back. And most of malaysia's case are also from these detain center, and mass testing has been done with the positive being treated and isolated from other detainee. Get your fact right, there are issues with how some migrant workers being treated but if you just lump everything together, no one will trust what u say and shows that you just want to keep bashing without knowing your facts.

I can't speak for other countries but in Singapore the status of work permit can be both handled by employee and employer. The employer can apply, renew, extend or cancel their worker's permit, it is the responsibility of the employer to make sure their permits are up to date. But in cases of self-employment or those trying to beat the system, the employee himself will try to get employement so that their permit does not lapse. So the opposite is the case here in Singapore, they have valid work permits, but are not doing the type of work in their category or simply not working, aka using their work permit to stay in the country. The handling of working permit is not something handled by migrant workers in Malaysia. Hence, the power is in favour of the employer.

Sorry, but based on your comments, they are just opinions. Not facts either. Deportation is the last resort, because it is a resource that will drain the country. Now ships with refugees are literally being turned around once they are in Malaysian waters. Malaysia cannot afford to bear the costs of transporting people back to their country. If you believe that, you are the one not making sense. 

I am getting this from the ground sources, from organisations and peoples who are working on these issues. Where are you getting your info from? The evening news? The grapevine? I am not going to disrespect you despite me knowing you to be very very wrong. So at the very least, pay me the same respect, and save the accusations and name calling for someone who actually cares to take the bait, Sudu.

If you are not able to be civil, then don't comment on my posts.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

58 minutes ago, tomcat said:

I can't speak for other countries but in Singapore the status of work permit can be both handled by employee and employer. The employer can apply, renew, extend or cancel their worker's permit, it is the responsibility of the employer to make sure their permits are up to date. But in cases of self-employment or those trying to beat the system, the employee himself will try to get employement so that their permit does not lapse. So the opposite is the case here in Singapore, they have valid work permits, but are not doing the type of work in their category or simply not working, aka using their work permit to stay in the country. The handling of working permit is not something handled by migrant workers in Malaysia. Hence, the power is in favour of the employer.

Sorry, but based on your comments, they are just opinions. Not facts either. Deportation is the last resort, because it is a resource that will drain the country. Now ships with refugees are literally being turned around once they are in Malaysian waters. Malaysia cannot afford to bear the costs of transporting people back to their country. If you believe that, you are the one not making sense. 

I am getting this from the ground sources, from organisations and peoples who are working on these issues. Where are you getting your info from? The evening news? The grapevine? I am not going to disrespect you despite me knowing you to be very very wrong. So at the very least, pay me the same respect, and save the accusations and name calling for someone who actually cares to take the bait, Sudu.

If you are not able to be civil, then don't comment on my posts.

My only comment initially was about your wrong used of illegal migrant, and u go around and the legal and illegal is the same. I guess i am wrong thinking that you understand what antonym means.... You are right though that i shouldnt comment on posts from a poster who only think he is the only one that is right and everyone else is wrong if they think the differently. Yup, that is how civilised singaporean behave. Kudos, you won. Singaporean is the best in the world.... Except when a school boy talk bad about your PM and being charge in court. Oops, here i thought this kind of news can only happened in North Korea or Turkmenistan. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/31/singapore-teenager-amos-yee-pang-sang-charged-critical-lee-kuan-yew-video

Ps: dont bother replying coz i wont see your post after this.

Edited by Sudu

4 minutes ago, Sudu said:

My only comment initially was about your wrong used of illegal migrant, and u go around and the legal and illegal is the same. I guess i am wrong thinking that you understand what antonym means.... You are right though that i shouldnt comment on posts from a poster who only think he is the only one that is right and everyone else is wrong if they think the differently. Yup, that is how civilised singaporean behave. Kudos, you won. Singaporean is the best in the world.... Except when a school boy talk bad about your PM and being charge in court. Oops, here i thought this kind of news can only happened in North Korea or Turkmenistan. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/31/singapore-teenager-amos-yee-pang-sang-charged-critical-lee-kuan-yew-video

Ps: dont bother replying coz i wont see your post after this.

Please reread the exchange. I was neutral, answered as best as I can, and even went out of my way to illustrate the gray area between illegals and migrants in Malaysia. If you don't like being corrected or schooled, just say so. I did not resort to name calling or accusations. I did not even disagree outright, but just attempted to explain what I know to be true from my friends who work on these issues both here and in Malaysia. As of your previous reply, I am still open to perspectives, but not anymore, because this is bordering on abuse.

So if you want to make it personal, that is your prerogative. You obviously have issues against Singaporeans, which then begs the question, why hang out in a Singapore forum? I am not going to berate or disrespect you for having issues, but please don't take it out on the next convenient target. I say that for me and for anyone else in here.

We are not your emotional punching bags. And it is the year 2020, the time of colonial white masters are long over.

As for replying, you are the one commenting on my post. So with all due respect, I'll take my cue from you. Please kindly stop responding and exercise whatever restrain you have left. Barring that, you are more than welcomed to block me. Hope that concludes this nasty exchange...

Goodbye and good riddance!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Thailand’s government said on Saturdaythat it had discovered three new cases of coronavirus in the last 24 hours in state quarantine. 
The new patients are returnees from Sudan (1), and the United States (2).
The new discoveries bring the total number of cases up to 3,282 cases.
There are no new fatalities leaving the death toll at 58.
Two new patients have recovered from the virus leaving the total number of discharged patients at 3,109.
Currently, 115 people remain in hospital.

11 hours ago, InBangkok said:

Jetstar Asia flies daily from SIN to BKK and return. Check the BKK real time Arrivals and Departure Pages. Still some international flights departing and arriving.A few have cancelled against them. Most do not.

https://www.bangkokairportonline.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures/

https://www.jetstar.com/sg/en/flights?adults=1&children=0&destination=BKK&flexible=1&flight-type=2&infants=0&origin=SIN

NOT SURE WHICH site u check 

i check jetstar flight booking no flight

#COVID19 situation in Thailand as of 26 July 2020 Thailand reported 9 new confirmed cases from people on repatriation flights and in state quarantine centers, with 0 deaths reported; the total remains at 3,291 infections, and 58 deaths. 😷New Confirmed Cases: 9 🦠Cumulative number of cases: 3,291 (+9) 🩺Receiving medical treatments: 124 👍🏻Recoveries: 3,109 (+0) 📣Fatalities: 58 (+0)

Official update from Krisflyer, and also happy cabin crew friends.

Flights to SE Asia have resumed, but limited flights per day. 

Unoffcial word is that budget carriers will follow suit - but for me it is still too high risk to start travelling.

They shared a pdf, but I realised it was probably not cleared for public sharing (lol)

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Thailand’s government said on Monday that it had discovered four new cases of coronavirus in the last 24 hours in state quarantine.  The four patients were returning from the US (3) and Taiwan (1). The new discoveries bring the total number of cases up to 3,295 cases. There are no new fatalities leaving the death toll at 58. Two new patients have recovered from the virus leaving the total number of discharged patients at 3,111. Currently, 126 people remain in hospital.

#COVID19 situation in Thailand as of 28 July 2020

Thailand reported 2 new confirmed cases from people on repatriation flights and in state quarantine centers, with 0 deaths reported; the total remains at 3,297 infections, and 58 deaths.

😷New Confirmed Cases: 2

🦠Cumulative number of cases: 3,297 (+2)

🩺Receiving medical treatments: 128

👍🏻Recoveries: 3,111 

#COVID19 situation in Thailand as of 29 July 2020

Thailand reported 1 new confirmed cases from people on repatriation flights and in state quarantine centers, with 0 deaths reported; the total remains at 3,298 infections, and 58 deaths.

😷New Confirmed Cases: 1

🦠Cumulative number of cases: 3,298 (+1)

🩺Receiving medical treatments: 129

The government on Wednesday reported one new case of coronavirus disease, another of the soldiers who were quarantined on returning from a military exercise in Hawaii.

Tanarak Plipat, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department, said the man arrived on July 22 and was quarantined in Chon Buri province. He tested positive on Monday, the fifth day after his return.

The soldier fell sick last Saturday with a fever, cough, sore throat, runny nose, excessive phlegm, muscle pain and headache. He was  admitted at a hospital in Bangkok, Dr Tanarak said.

He took part in the joint US-Thai military exercise in Hawaii from July 1 to 22, along with 150 other Thai soldiers. They stayed in tents that each held 7-8 soldiers.

To date, nine of the Thai soldiers were confirmed with Covid-19.

#COVID19 situation in Thailand as of 30 July 2020

Thailand reported 6 new confirmed cases from people on repatriation flights and in state quarantine centers, with 0 deaths reported; the total remains at 3,304 infections, and 58 deaths.

😷New Confirmed Cases: 6

🦠Cumulative number of cases: 3,304 (+6)

🩺Receiving medical treatments: 135

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.